Reinhard's Sample Check In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

gratefuldeb67

Shovelglove handle.....

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:34 pm

I know this sounds fairly rude to ask Rein,,, but

How long is your handle?

LOL...
I was looking at your during photo and the sledge you are holding up (is that the 20 lb one?) seems to be pretty long... I would imagine that this really helps with the leverage aspect... It also probably helps you develop some pretty nice range of motion...

I think I have a shortish handle comparatively speaking but that's okay, since I'm 9 inches shorter than you!

Hey! Let's gang up on that bozo who tried to malign your wonderful creation! I'd love to see what this guy looks like!
I'm ready to kick his hacking ass if you are!!!
We could get Freakwitch and Kevin 1 and 2 and whoever else feels violent.. :twisted:
LOL...

Have a great day leader..
Love,
8) Deb

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:00 pm

Thanks for the well-wishes.

Deb, my handles are all 36 inches. This seems to be pretty standard (for sledgehammers :-)).

Reinhard

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:35 pm

LOL! :lol:

sporkfancier

Post by sporkfancier » Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:27 pm

reinhard wrote:Deb, my handles are all 36 inches. This seems to be pretty standard (for sledgehammers :-)).
That's funny, because that's my wife's nickname for my...

Nevermind. :oops:
Shovel glove? Isn't that the size of prophylactic I use?

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:47 pm

LOL!!! :lol:

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:35 pm

Diet-wise, no funny stuff to report since last check-in.

Because of my virus/nosebleeds, shovelglove was reduced for two weeks and skipped for one. Probably the longest break I've had since I started about 4 years ago. This week I'm back at it, ramping up nice and slow.

Reinhard

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:07 pm

Hi Reinhard :)
I hope you and your wife get well soon!

You did the right thing to rest while sick...
You are our "Everyday Hero" no matter what!
Even Superman is allergic to kryptonite! LOL

I would imagine that persistent sinusitis and that virus are exacerbated by the fact that generally, our homes are sooooo dry in the Winter from the heat being on...

The nosebleeds are a definite sign you are dehydrated...
Do you have a humidifier?
And don't bother with that Sudafed stuff.. It just perpetuates your dryness and can make the sinuses worse off because of that...
Just take in loads of fluids and warm beverages...
Sinusitis is a "Dry Heat" condition in the body, and the nose and sinuses is the external manifestation of the lung energy... You have lung heat...

A very nice way to cool yourself and hydrate is with Peppermint tea... Mint is cooling and soothing to your mucus membranes and you want to reduce your lung heat and dryness"....
Try that garlic I was mentioning too... A clove or so, chopped, and eaten raw, on a buttered cracker or something to make it more palatable..
You breath might smell like you just took a vacation in Sicily, but it's sooo good at killing viruses... I had a cold from Richard which went away in less than a week by doing this..

And, there's a very good product available called "Emergen C" which you can get at any decent health food or vitamin store, maybe even the supermarket, which has a ton of vitamin C, also an antiviral agent, which is very absorbable as it's in powdered form and you mix it into about half a cup of water... It also has some other helpful energy lifting vitamins, like vitamin B and some potassium..

Hope this helps and we all wish you a speedy recovery and are sending a big NoS Healing Hug to your nose!
LOL...

Peace and Love and Puffs lotion tissues,
8) Deb

Marg

Checking in/Just starting

Post by Marg » Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:15 pm

I started with dinner last night and have had two meals so far today. I am on track and next is the exercise component. What a great commonsense program!!
Marg

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:01 pm

2 non-weekend S days since last checkin: valentines and presidents' day.

Lot's of sick days again, unfortunately. No funny stuff diet wise, but another week was pretty much shot for shovelglove. The good news is I don't seem to have gotten much weaker. I'm almost up to my full routine again this week.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:29 am

No funny stuff since last check-in. So boring, I know... the downside of virtue.

Shovelglove is 100% back (and then some) to where I was before that last bout of illnesses. Amazing at how fast you can bounce back once you've gotten into good physical and "habitual" shape.

Reinhard

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:13 pm

1 "special" S day since last checkin (purim).

No funny stuff. Vertical urban ranger is going gangbusters. No elevator since 1st day in new office last Monday.

Reinhard

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:19 pm

Yay Reinhard!!!!
I guess the only S approved vertical stacking in your life now is vertical urban rangering!
That's awesome~
Well you have found a great way to get in a lower body workout it seems!

Super Reinhard Away!!!! :wink:
LOL..
Peace and Love,
8) Deb
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:24 pm

Hi Reinhard :) I know you are busy and might not be reading everyones threads these days, so I thought I'd just write you directly here... LOL... I'm in a little crisis now....
I'm starting another 21 days refresher course, since I've had a pretty bad month and started so get back into my old habits and gained about four pounds or maybe five back... This is the first significant "Fall from Habit Grace" I've experienced in 18 months on NoS... I think most of it is due to illness and stress..
I hope this doesn't seem silly, but I just had to ask you for a little "Founder Blessing" for my new attempt..
I have always felt better when I get an occasional post from you, so when you can, please cross your shovelgloves for me and send me your blessing! :) I'm pretty bummed out about it, and but I always find your posts very helpful and inspiring...
Hope you had a great weekend and a good week to come :)
Best to you and your family!

Peace, love and friendship~
8) Deb

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:43 am

You officially have my shovelgloves-crossed founder's blessing, Deb! Sorry it's been so long since I popped in... I promise I'll check closely these next three weeks.

Reinhard

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:47 am

Oh, one "special" s day since last check-in. Our neighbor and good friend's (and fellow edser) birthday.

Funny stuff: there was some excessive tasting last week. Nothing big, but I thought I'd fess up here just to keep it that way.

Reinhard

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:49 am

At long last, a screw up!

Not a very dramatic one, but still. I had a pear between breakfast and lunch. How I've gone for months resisting ice cream and cake only to be undone by a pear is hard to explain (though it was a pretty darn delicious pear). Basically I rationalized that I would virtually plate it but I was eating out for lunch and wasn't really able to (well, I could have doggie bagged or thrown out part of my plate but I didn't).

As slips ups go, very minor, but I'll confess it here to keep myself super honestly on the straight and narrow.

Reinhard

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:11 am

Hey Reinhard!
You know what???
A pear is a good thing to eat!
LOL....

I've been craving sweets in fruit form these days..
I want some now!!!
Grapefruit, apples....
Richies favorite is pears!

Ice cream, however delicious, isn't too nutritious...
I really believe that it's the nutrition, and variety of flavors that fruits and veggies that makes them so satisfying, and quite frankly, I'm not surprised that you were undone by an innocent pear! :lol:

Oh Richie just said, "The Master has screwed up."

He will pay for his insolence!
LOL...

Peace and Love,
8) Deb

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:54 pm

Thanks, Deb, but if I may quote myself to "damn" myself:

http://nosdiet.com/#healthy_snacks
What about healthy snacks?

Eat healthy meals. If you know you have just three, you'll make them count. I'm perfectly aware that an orange between meals is not going kill you, that, taken in itself, it's perfectly healthy. But the idea is to have the orange instead of, not in addition to, and in justification of, some unhealthy part of your meal. The problem is primarily one of self-discipline, and if you start making all kinds of exceptions, you'll fail.
2 "Special" days since last check-in (passover, easter was sunday and I abstained from claiming good friday and "patriots day" as dietary s-days).

Dietwise, no funny stuff. But I missed three days of shovelglove last week while traveleing.

Reinhard

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:01 pm

Reinhard!
You are a wonderful example and, truth be told, deep down it's wonderful to see someone so hooked on productive and healthy use of rules and habits!!! You're my hero and always will be!!!
And I'm willing to bet that everyone else here feels just like I do!!!
I agree with you that it's just better to stick to the structure and not fool around with rules too much..
I hope you did your "Pear Penance", and don't get damned! :wink:

Peace and Love,
8) Deb

Simon

Post by Simon » Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:32 pm

Sorry Deb, Reinhard's not my hero in the same way you think him to be.

If he were to do his SG routine while wearing a unitard and a cape... THEN he would be my hero!
:)

But he does seem to set a darned fine example. Five years at this... that's impressive. With the results to back 'er up!
Simon
"Hickory Hand of the North"

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Hi Reinhard,
I just wanted to tell you that Richard is in the process of creating his own web page and he has linked it to the NoS diet! :)

Visit him at :

www.saxkidrichie.piczo.com

Hope you and your family had a nice relaxing weekend!

Peace and Love,
8) Deb

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:00 pm

Very cool site, Richard!

No funny stuff or "special" days since last checkin.

Reinhard

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:21 pm

Thanks Reinhard!
Maybe it will become as popular as NoS!
Have a nice S weekend!
Peace,
8) Richie

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri May 12, 2006 1:56 am

No funny stuff or "special" days since last check-in. Occasionally my 21 month old daughter stuffs a semi digested cracker or something into my mouth, but I'm not going to count such force feeding/bonding as funny stuff (or there will be huge psychoanalyst bills in her future).

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue May 23, 2006 5:20 pm

I took an s-day for the season finale of 24. My neighbor baked the most ridiculously good chocolate chip cookies I've ever eaten (from the "silver platter cookbook").

If you're not a 24 addict, this will seem like the lamest excuse for an S day ever. If you are, you understand completely.

Otherwise, no funny stuff since last check-in.

Reinhard

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed May 24, 2006 1:30 am

Did you eat 24 of them? :wink:

Reinhard, I love when you write your "funny stuff" and extra S's...
It's very cute! :D

Now I want those cookies!

Tonight I was at Richards first night time concert and they had tables and tables of donuts cookies etc...You'd have been proud of me..
I didn't eat one bite!
Well, maybe if they were as good as your neighbors I might have caved, but I knew they weren't S worthy and would just keep me fat!
LOL...

Take care!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:29 am

I would have eaten 24 of them if there had been that many. Watching Jack Bauer kill hundreds of crypto fascist terrorists really makes you hungry.... just think of all the calories he must be burning, and you never see *him* eat.

I took Memorial day as a non-weekend S day.

Reinhard

pangelsue

Post by pangelsue » Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:39 pm

Thanks, Reinhard for the post about types of stress and logic. You really hit the mark for me on that one. It has been a Godsend all this week. It makes good logical sense that blowing the diet would add to the stress, not relieve it.
Had 2 rough days because my daughter had a minor car accident and we got called to the hospital. Then today, they called her back for a cathscan because they thought there might have been a problem with her neck afterall and they warned her not to turn her head a lot until they checked it out. Turned out to be nothing and all is well. Wonderful, but the last 2 nights, I wanted to mindlessly eat until I felt better. But I remembered what you said and decided that wouldn't make me feel better or hurry test results or undo the accident. Now she is fine, and I am happy AND I had 2 success days. It took prayer, time and patience to relieve the stress. Eating had nothing to do with it. Thanks for the thought that stopped the gerbil wheel of self defeating thoughts.

By the way, Jack Bauer probably lives on K rations and who could possibly overeat on those?

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:18 am

I'm happy it helped, Sue (and even happier to hear your daughter's ok).

Best wishes to you both,

Reinhard

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:56 pm

2 "special days" since last checkin: 1 vacation, the other a double birthday for close family. Treated two more vacation days as N days.

Reinhard

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:38 am

2 special days since last checkin: 4th of July and 1 vacation day (had 2 more vacation days I counted a N days).

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:32 pm

2 vacation S days and 1 Failure since last checkin (been a while, hasn't it?)

The failure was pretty minor, and I didn't have much of a choice if I wanted to preserve my status as a nice human being, but still I'll call it that, just to keep me in line.

We went to a great local BBQ joint (Redbones) with some friends and everyone wanted to get one of those "serves 4" platters and share. I could have objected, but that would have been weird and rude. The individual plates they brought us were the size of tea saucers. I could have asked for a bigger plate but that would have been very weird and rude. I could have stacked like a madman but that would have been disgusting. I could have eaten just a wee little bit of pulled pork, St. Louis Ribs, cole slaw, beans, corn bread, and grilled chicken -- actually, I couldn't have done that. It was just too good. I could have swapped days but we had a vacation full of irresistible culinary delights coming up that weekend. So, failure.

Not something I'm worried about. Last time we went to redbones was before the birth of my child. Just thought I'd report it to keep me honest and show that I The Founder am at least a little fallible, too.

Reinhard

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:39 pm

A fallible and nice founder sure beats a perfect meanie!
LOL...

I just had some nice slow cooked BBQ myself!
Good stuff!

Have a nice weekend Rein!
Stay nice! :wink:
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:16 pm

2 non weekend special days since last checkin (vacation).

1 funny stuff weekend time shift, Friday night to Sunday night. Been a while since I indulged in this particular bit of funny stuff. We had overnight guests visiting Friday night and it seemed inhospitable to offer them dessert while I loured over them in self righteous abstinence.

I had a glass ceiling slip up. I've had a few this summer, nothing bad in itself in terms of getting out of control drunk, but clear violations of the rules which could weaken my respect for them and lead to trouble down the road. So I'm going to start reporting any glass ceiling slip ups here to keep me in line.

Reinhard

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:00 pm

Tossing back a few noggins eh???
LOL..

How about really taking your time with each glass?
Savor it slowly :wink:
Well good luck with all that!

Peace and Love,
8) Debs
who gets totally shnikkerd on one drink! LOL..

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:19 pm

Oh, I guess I should report the extent of my glass ceiling failure, since that will help in damage control if things get out of hand again. If I know I have to report the number of drinks, I'll have incentive to reign in the number even once I've technically failed. Don't want to catch myself thinking, "well, I screwed up so I might as well go nuts." That kind of thinking is bad with diet, but can be literally fatal with booze.

Measuring by habit-days, it was actually two consecutive failures:

F: 3 drinks (9:30AM-midnight)
S: 4 drinks (2 midnight-2AM, 2 8PM-10PM)

First drinking session was a 5 drink date spanner at a bar with some old high school buddies. Second was a more civilized affair with relatives from Germany. I ate plenty and spread the drinks out reasonably over time so I wasn't really drunk, but it was a clear violation of my 2 drink a day ceiling -- 2 violations.

Just to put this in context: glass ceiling has worked very well for me, despite some occasional technical failures. I used to get dangerously sick-drunk at least every second month or so and that hasn't happened once or even come close since I started glass ceiling 4 years ago. I'm flagellating myself here not because I think I'm so terrible, but because I want to make sure that it never gets any worse (status quo is fine). I don't think I need any additional solution beyond what I have in place already -- except perhaps this new commitment to publicly recording any technical failures.

Reinhard

Eatin' Free

Post by Eatin' Free » Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:03 pm

What precisely is the glass ceiling in terms of amount of each glass? We don't indulge much, mostly wine with dinner, with a glass being 4-6 oz. I tend to avoid mixed drinks because they very quickly make me fuzzy, and I don't like beers. Would a couple of glasses of wine fit the definitions here?

Thanks!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:56 pm

Like plate size in no-s, I don't have a rule about glass size.

Yes, this means opens the door to excess, but because the excess is obvious, shame mostly keeps you in line.

Speaking of drinks, I have another technical no-s failure to report! I had a glass of lemonade without thinking one night last week. It didn't even occur to me that it was an S until the day after. Officially counting it as a failure because, well, it clearly was.

I also had a weekend luddite violation yesterday. My excuse? Had to get the next podcast segment out. Pretty lame excuse, given that weekend luddite is one of the things I'm podcasting about.

Reinhard

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:50 pm

Took 1 "special" S day since last checkin (Labor day).

Otherwise no funny stuff on any of the systems I'm tracking here.

(weekend luddite, glass ceiling, nosdiet).

I guess I'll report violations of shovelglove and urban ranger here too.. but I can't remember the last time one happened so I don't expect to have much if anything to report.

Reinhard

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:05 pm

I've decided to start being extra fence around the law strict with weekend luddite, and so I have a failure to report: I used the computer to look up an address and a phone number last weekend. I've also started doing weekday morning luddite, and will report any violations here (no computer before I get to work).

Nothing funny to report for nos,shovelglove,urban ranger, glass ceiling.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:18 pm

Good on all systems EXCEPT my new extra strict ludditing.

1 morning luddite violation to report. I was trying to talk my wife through something on the computer and in my impatience seized the keyboard. Totally unconscious.

1 intentional weekend luddite violation to report: I've been invited to be on a radio show in october and wanted to listen to the september show to prep myself. Since I'm not local, I had to do it over the internet. A good trade off, this violation, I think, but still a trade off.

Reinhard

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:33 pm

Funny stuff since last check-in:

Weekend luddite violation last weekend: had to purge my inlaws computer of viruses and adware. Mandatory, but reporting it here because if there are too many violations of a system, mandatory or not, it ain't working. Not that I'm worried about this for WL, but I might as well collect the data just in case.

Nosdiet: Yesterday at lunch I "changed my mind about how many fava beans to put on my plate after I finished it." In other words, I had seconds. FAILURE. Been a while since the no-seconds rule busted me. I actually bought that ridiculous rationalization at the time and it was only after I'd finished eating that it occurred to me that I'd unambiguously screwed up.

All other systems on target (including weekday morning luddite).

Reinhard

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:55 am

1 non weekend S day I forgot to mention in my last check-in (Rosh hashana).

2 non weekend S days since (yom kipper, birthday).

I glass ceiling violation. No ill effects, but a violation of the literal rules. We were offered drinks at lunch visiting friends and I didn't refuse. Twice. Then later we went out for a fancy birthday dinner. Fancy dinners out are rare at this point of my life and require two glasses of wine. So 4 (very spaced out) drinks that day.

Otherwise, everything OK. Morning luddite going strong. Finally had a perfect luddite weekend.

Reinhard

pangelsue

Post by pangelsue » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:55 pm

Wow, a fava bean failure. That's hard to imagine. I love all kinds of beans but I must admit I don't care much for favas. Do you make them from scratch? I make most beans from scratch but favas I have only had out of the can.
A lot of growing up happens between "it fell" and "I dropped it."

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:44 pm

I have made them from scratch (much better, but too much work). These were frozen (not bad when you pan roast/braise them with olive oil and coarse salt).

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:05 pm

1 non weekend S day since last checkin (Columbus day).

Glass ceiling violation Saturday night. Bachelor party. I did much, much, better than I would have otherwise, just one drink over the limit (I would have easily had three or four times as much in the bad old days), but I need to count it as a failure because if I don't I might not slam on the breaks early enough next time.

From now on, if I don't mention how I'm doing on a system, I'm doing ok. No news is good news. This is more or less what I've been doing for a while, but now it's official. I call this negative tracking. See this post for the logic behind it:

http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=1325

Systems I'm subjecting to negative tracking here: weekend luddite, weekday morning luddite, shovelglove, urban ranger, no s diet, glass ceiling.

If I pick up a new system, I'll positively track it until I'm confident enough to go with the more time efficient negative.

Reinhard

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:49 pm

Morning luddite failure monday -- had to get podcast out. No news is good news on all other fronts.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:49 pm

I got a great no-s related opportunity last Thursday (more details as I figure out what I'm allowed to reveal just now) but I'm afraid it's going to mean giving up morning luddite: there's just too much work involved and I don't have any other time to do it. So I'm putting that worthy system into hibernate for now. I'll continue on with weekend luddite unless it gets just too stupid.

In other funny stuff, the day I got this news I was so discombobulated that I had a triple screw up:

1) urban ranger: nothing to do with the good news, actually. My boss's boss had me locked in conversation and walked me into an elevator (down, but still). It's been months now since I've been in an elevator. I didn't really have a choice, but still, failure. Sort of a milestone, I don't think I've ever reported an urban ranger failure yet. And it's not because I've been lenient. It's just been such an effortlessly, painlessly successful system.

2) glass ceiling: we had some champagne left in the bottle we'd opened to celebrate and it's just such a shame to let the stuff sit overnight or pour it out so.... failure. Minor, in terms of its effects, but unambiguous.

3) nosdiet: we didn't have enough dinner leftovers to be worth saving and I didn't have the heart to throw them away, so under the influence of one too many glasses of champagne, I picked at them a bit while doing the dishes. Failure.

Non-failure funny stuff:

I look a non-weekend S-day for Halloween. Man kit-kats are good.

Reinhard

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:24 am

Negatives since last checkin:

1. Shovelglove failure last Friday (first in ages). Busy day, but that's no excuse.

2. I was on vacation Monday, did no-s ok, but took an S day for shovelglove.

3. glass ceiling failure Sunday. My best friend's wedding. I had 6 drinks. It was over a long period of time, and I ate so much that I barely noticed them (can gluttony be an excuse for boozing? :-)), so it wasn't really a problem except from a "rules" point of view (which is something). It was all very intentional, and much better than the unintentional double digit drink failures I used to have, but still clearly a technical failure and worth recording as such.

Reinhard

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:47 pm

Took a shovelglove S day veterans day.

Otherwise no funny stuff.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:51 am

Took a non weekend S day for Thanksgivings.

Otherwise no funny stuff. I even managed to be good the Friday after Thanksgivings.

Reinhard

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:20 pm

Being good the day after is really the key Rein! You are such a *real* inspiration! Nothing you ever tout as helpful is gimicky, and it's always excellent *straightforward* advice..
I actually had a pretty good day after Thanksgiving too, and I really owe it to the thing you mentioned years ago during the holidays, which stuck with me about how, (paraphrase) "it's not Thanksgiving, or the holidays, that are the problem. It's the leftovers."

I managed to have several good days eating all the leftovers in normal amounts, which was nice cos I didn't have to cook, and it lasted longer :)
I was so pleased with myself that I didn't eat the leftovers within 24 to 48 hours, like I probably would have, pre-NoS..
Now I'm hoping I can get myself to start making a habit of one day a week doing a lot of cooking, and making a bunch of stuff which can then be eaten throughout the week. This really helps to keep from eating junk food in a weak moment of hunger, cos the stuff is all ready to go.

Best to all the NoS community!
Peace,
8) Debs

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:17 am

Minor weekend luddite violation: had to burn a photo cd. Social (spousal!) pressure again. But I limited the damage to that one task.

Otherwise no news is good news.

Glad to be inspiring, Deb! You're pretty inspiring yourself.

Reinhard

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:07 am

Took a shovelglove sick day Friday. Otherwise no funny stuff.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:49 pm

Shovelglove failure yesterday. Yes, I was feeling sick. But I somehow dragged myself to work, and I take shovelglove at least as seriously as my job :-), so I'm going to have to call it that.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:09 pm

Took an all-system S day for Christmas.

Took an additional vacation S day from shovelglove yesterday (lots of driving back from relatives).

Otherwise, no funny stuff. Not bad.

Reinhard

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:32 pm

Took an all systems S-day for New Years. Otherwise no news is good news.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:34 pm

Oh, I should clarify: there are no off days for glass ceiling. So when I say "all systems S day," glass ceiling is exempt, because the damage I could do in one day off from that could be pretty limitless.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:30 pm

Minor weekend luddite violation: had to print out a map.

Minor glass ceiling violation: had 3 glasses of sangria at a birthday celebration at a spanish restaurant. Lot's of great excuses, and not a very serious violation, but still, clearly a technical failure.

No news is good news on other fronts.

Reinhard

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:13 pm

Took 1 non weekend special day (Martin Luther King Day).

Nothing else to report.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:31 pm

Another minor weekend luddite violation. My ipod was running out of gas and I decided to recharge it. I wouldn't have counted that as a violation in itself (since I hadn't touched the keyboard or the mouse!) but when I plugged the ipod in my mac started shouting at me about my hard drive being full and I was guilted into attending to it. I stuck with the immediate task at hand and then logged off. As excuses go, not bad, but still.

Otherwise no news is good news. Will consolidate January 2007 into a "personal olympics" report shortly...

Reinhard

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:05 pm

I took last Friday as a vacation S-day from shovelglove. Nothing else to report.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:34 pm

Have a nice weekend Reinhard!
Give your daughter a big hug for me and have fun :)
I hope you are well.
Thanks for still being the best leader around!!!
Just wanted to say that :wink:
Peace and Love,
8) Debs

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:13 pm

Thanks Deb!

2 "special" S-days since last checking for shovelglove and nosdiet (valentines day and presidents day).

Otherwise nothing to report.

Reinhard

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:23 pm

Took a shovelglove vacation day friday (we were traveling to visit family in NY/NJ). There wasn't any temptation worth making it a nosdiet s-day, so I kept it an N-day for that.

Had to make an exception to weekend luddite on saturday because I was worried about the safety of a good friend. I'm not going to count that as a violation because that would be sick.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:27 pm

Did I miss you again Reinhard!?? :roll: :twisted: :shock:
LOL..
If you don't let me know when you come to NY another time, you are gonna be in big trouble! :P

Hope you and your little family had a great time!
ps.. I lost some pudding around the middle this month since we went back to being pretty good with the rules!
Hah! This discipline stuff works pretty well! LOL :)

Have a wonderful S weekend!
Peace and Love,
8) Debs

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:40 pm

Thanks Deb!

Sorry these trips tend to be short and very concentrated... an unbelievable number of relatives on boths sides we have to squeeze in plus 10 hours of driving.

Nothing to report since last checkin.

Reinhard

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:04 pm

No funny stuff to report since last checkin. Nice and boring.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:27 pm

Hi Rein!
I find boringness quite exciting these days!
You are truly a diet zen master :wink:
I will have to have you guys adopt me so you can visit me and Richie next time ;)
Peace and Love,
Debs
(who is having, dietwise, a very boring month too! LOL)

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:27 pm

I'm very happy to hear that, Deb.

Ancient Chinese blessing: may your diet blog be boring and sparse.

Reinhard

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:24 pm

Since last check-in:

Took 2 nosdiet non-weekend S-days for 2 passover seders.

Took 1 shovelglove non-weekend S-day for good Friday.

Maybe we need a new acronym to confuse the uninitiated: NWS-days

:-)

Reinhard

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:05 pm

Lots of stuff to report since last check-in! (unfortunately)

I took an (nosdiet) S-day last Monday that was so dubious I'm going to call it a failure. Basically I anticipated social pressures that didn't materialize. It wasn't a disaster in terms of excess, but it was unnecessary, and not a good precedent.

I took an travel/vacation nosdiet NWS-day last Friday that I am going to call legitimate. Didn't really have a choice, and vacation is vacation.

That was also a shovelglove NWS-day.

I had to make some adjustments to the international date line for glass ceiling Saturday-Sunday, but I'll call it a success.

Reinhard

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri May 04, 2007 4:33 pm

I took yet another shovelglove NWS day on monday (april 30).

I was on "vacation" from work, finishing up the nosdiet book. Dubious.

My personal olympics standings for april are not going to be particularly impressive.

Did some virtual plating at a restaurant yesterday, but it worked out fine. Not much excess, we took home a bunch of leftovers.

Otherwise no funny stuff.

Reinhard
Last edited by reinhard on Fri May 11, 2007 7:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri May 11, 2007 7:38 pm

Nothing new to report since last check-in, but I forgot to report that april was a disaster for weekend luddite -- 4 failures (had to get the next draft of the nosdiet book done).

Reinhard

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu May 24, 2007 5:20 am

I hope you are doing well Rein!
Just listened to the last podcast and really enjoyed hearing you.
You have a very nice voice!
Take care dear Diet Guruji :wink:
Oops, I don't mean that in the stereotypical cliched b.s. way..
You are the real deal!
Peace and Love,
8) Debs

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri May 25, 2007 11:32 pm

Thanks, Deb! I'm so glad you're gracing us with your presence again!

Nothing new to report since last checking.

Except a new experimental way of checking in.

Reinhard

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:54 pm

Ah! You are the best Reinhard!!!
I'm sorry again about being off here so much!
It's been a rough month.

Hey! What's happening?
I'm looking forward to hearing news on how things are on your end!
I'm about to look at the habit calendar!
Peace and Love,
8) Debs xo

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:44 pm

Deb,

Please don't apologize. You've been through a lot. It's amazing you have any cycles at all to spare for this.

All the best,

Reinhard

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:45 am

Thanks friend :D
How's the new little baby girl?!
Hope well!!
Love,
8) Debs x

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:19 pm

She's doing great. As is her sister. Mommy and daddy could use a little more sleep, but otherwise everything's wonderful.

I've been using the HabitCal for the last month and change and am pretty happy with it. Instead of redundantly posting my stats here too, I'll just stick with that going forward. The only big thing that's missing on the HabitCal is the capability to add text notes to explain failures and non-weekend S-days (or particularly glorious successes!), but I'm hoping to add that within the next week or so. If what I have to write is too long for a short note, maybe I'll post it here, but probably in that case I'd post to one of the main forums instead.

So I guess this check-in is now semi-retired.... it's been a good run!

Reinhard.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:56 am

Yes I'd say it has been a great run Reinhard!
You are the ultimate "Stick with it" man!!
Since you usually would post negative tracking style here we'd hardly ever see you anyways!! :wink:
I'll have to figure out how to check your "boring" stats on HabitCal!
hehe..

So happy to hear the girls are both great!
Sorry bout the sleep deprivation. I remember that!!!!
And Richard had the nerve to never nap during the day either!!!
Man that was some year!! LOL..
Goodbye to Reinhards thread!!! Waaahhhhhh!!!
LOL :wink:

Love,
8) Debs x

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:56 pm

Hi Deb,

Here's the link to my personal HabitCal:

http://everydaysystems.com/habitcal/vie ... endluddite

No naps? Wow. I don't know how we'd manage without that blessed time of day.

Reinhard

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:21 pm

Hi Rein!
Came by to wish you a great weekend!
Just saw your comment now, cos I'm not checking in here too much..
Cool! Gonna check it out now.
I'll keep that in my bookmarks and see if I can beat you!! hahaha!

Hey, yeah, I was a bit of a crabby tired Mommy that year..
Lucky you that she naps!
Is you older daughter enjoying her little baby Sis??

I may just start Shovelgloving again next week.
I feel good about HabitCal NoS now, as I've done it for 3 weeks and it's really feeling pretty solid, so I think it's safe to try adding another.
I've got lots of room here again, now that I'm back living in my Moms house.. Plenty of room to swing a sledgehammer! :twisted:

Peace and Love,
8) Debs

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:24 pm

Wow Rein!!! You get a Gold Medal for your HabitCals!!!
Hmmmm I may not beat you after all! LOL :wink:

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:41 am

Hi Reinhard!
Incase I miss you before you start your ludditing, I wanted to wish you a great weekend! Hope you are great!
Peace and Love,
8) Debs x

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:04 pm

I think I'm going to revive this thread and use it to explain any failures in my habitcal. Simpler and maybe even better than adding some "free text note" function to the habitcal, as I'd been planning. Stay tuned...

Reinhard

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:04 pm

OK, here's an account of the red failures and non-weekend S-days in my habitcal to date. My memory is a little rusty for the first ones, but I'll do my best (fortunately there haven't been a whole lot). If I do happen to remember at some point, I'll update this post. And going forward, I'll describe such incidents here as they happen.

May 2007:
May 28: Nosdiet/Shovelglove NWS day (no recollection)
May 30: Shovelglove failure (no recollection)

June 2007:
June 3: weekend luddite failure (no recollection)
June 6: shovelglove NWS day (birth of 2nd daughter)
June 7: shoveglove/nosdiet NWS day (birth of 2nd daughter)
June 19: nosdiet NWS day my wife's birthday AND my mother's birthday (how's that for Freudian?)

July 2007:
June 3: shovelglove NWS day (4th of July "observed" -- traded actually)
June 4: nosdiet NWS (actual 4th)
June 14: weekend luddite failure (violated weekend luddite to get nosdiet book revisions done)

August 2007:
August 3: shovelglove failure (fell asleep from sheer exhaustion -- infants will do that do you)
August 4: glass ceiling failure. Had 3 drinks instead of 2. My brother in laws wedding rehearsal party. Weddings are tricky for glass ceiling. They're so long. There's so much booze. It's free.
August 20-22: nosdiet/shovelglove NWS days. Vacation in New Hampshire. I'd been toying with the idea of bringing my sledge, but my wife forbad it. I'm glad she did. Instead, we spent every free moment catching up on sleep.
August 23-24: shovelglove NWS days. More vacation. I was essed out at this point in terms of food, so it was a relief to go back to nos. But still no sledge.

I'll update september at the end of the month.

Reinhard

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:43 pm

September 2007 (this was a rough month!)

Sept 1: weekend luddite failure. Excuse: had to wrap up nosdiet book copyedits.
Sept 3: shovelglove/nosdiet NWS day (Labor Day)
Sept 6: shovelglove failure (I'm going to start reporting these as they happen because I simply can't remember now)
Sept 8: weekend luddite failure: Excuse: last day of copyedits.
Sept 12: shovelglove/nosdiet NWS day (Rosh Hashana)
Sept 13: nosdiet NWS day (Rosh Hashana)
Sept 16: weekend luddite failure: Excuse: long neglected chore of transferring home video to computer/burning dvds.
Sept 18:glass ceiling failure: excuse: (really lame) we had lunch at a great local pub and it felt wrong not to order a pint, I felt due another drink at dinner but my wife didn't pour me a suitably generous glass so I decided to rectify the situation with another "fractional" glass (what I would have poured the first time, according to my self deceptive logic).

From now on I'm going to report funny stuff right way. This trying to remember at the end of the month is tedious. I also think immediate reporting will have more of a discouraging effect on bad behavior.

Reinhard

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:46 pm

Oct 1: NWS Day shovelglove (sick)
Oct 2: NWS Day Nosdiet (my birthday)

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:01 am

Happy Birthday Reinhard!!! :wink: (slightly belated! Oops)
I hope you are feeling better today....
Lots of love,
8) Debs x

bonnieUK

Post by bonnieUK » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:27 am

Hi Reinhard - A belated happy birthday from me too! I hope you had some nice S day treats!

Just want to say thanks for your expertise, websites and this forum - I've found it all very helpful and encouraging :) I'm on day 20 of No S now and it's going well (aside from 2 "cookie incidents" :D). I seem to appreciate and look forward to food much more now and the habits and rules are becoming established - I've got some German dark chocolate gingerbread (my favourite!) in my kitchen cupboard which I've not even been tempted to touch because I know it's strictly for the weekend!

All the best!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:46 pm

Oct 8: Columbus Day: NWS day for nosdiet and shovelglove
Oct 21: weekend luddite failure. I though I'd lost my credit card and checked online whether anyone had bought anything with it (I found the card later). Got right off after this check.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:51 pm

Oct 29: Shovelglove failure. I was on the phone about the nosdiet book for over two hours and when I looked up it was one in the morning. Too late for oct 29.

Oct 31: NWS day for shovelglove and Nos (Halloween). I probably could have managed shovelglove, but hell it's a holiday and I was beat from dragging the kids around trick or treating.

Nov 1: nosdiet failure. The first since I've been keeping a habitcal! It was a very minor thing, but something I want to be sure to keep in line, if only out solidarity with other no-essers who are confronted with this issue more frequently: I went out to eat with a coworker for lunch and ate some of the bread that was put in front of us before the meal came. I could have very easily not eaten it (this was not particularly good bread) or even just waited for the entree and piled the bread on top (same amount of food, but at least I'd have been paying my dues in terms of embarrassment at this obvious excess). We were having a very engaging conversation, so with the little brainpower I had to spare I somehow rationalized to myself that this bread didn't count, and it was only later that afternoon that I realized I'd have to chalk this up as a failure.

Deb and Bonnie, much belated thanks for you kind wishes!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:29 pm

You're welcome Rein.. Haha. Good for you on coming clean on the bread incident!
Hehe..
It's always good to confess ones NoS sins! :wink:
How'd ya do on the candy front Halloween?
Richie got 165 pieces of candy.
haha..
Now it's my job to keep it hidden for the next three months till S days! :P
Have a great weekend~
Peace and Love,
8) Debs

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:06 am

Nov 12: Shovelglove NWS day (veterans day)

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:48 pm

Nov 18: weekend luddite failure. I knew I'd be out of the office Monday so I decided to try to get some work done Sunday.

Donna1024

Starting No S today. Checking in.

Post by Donna1024 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:14 pm

Hey Everyone, Just came upon this website and it sounded so interesting that I decided to join. Sweets are my weakness so I know that it will be hard for me to give them up, but I am willing to give it a shot. I am just checking in. So far so good.... :wink:

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:32 am

Welcome, Donna! You'll probably want to add a new topic for your check-in.

Nov 22: nosdiet and shovelglove NWS day (Thanksgiving)
Nov 23: shovelglove NWS day (vacation)
Dec: 4 nosdiet and shoveglove NWS day (1st night of Hanukkah)

Reinhard

Donna1024

Post by Donna1024 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:52 pm

Hi Reinhard, I figured out how to add my own topic. Thanks for the tip. Happy Hanukkah to you!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:54 pm

Great, thanks Donna!

Dec 7: another Hanukkah shovelglove and nosdiet NWS day (I know, I know, at least I'm not taking 8)