Brianna's Summer Challenge

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

BeingGreen

Brianna's Summer Challenge

Post by BeingGreen » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:16 am

I'm heading out on road trip with my family for spring break (New Mexico and western Texas). I often find it easier to stick to my guns when I'm away from home. Motel rooms have few foody temptations! I'm committed to coming home with some vitamin D (Hurray for sun! 8) ) and a report of six green N days and two non-idiotic S days. Right now I'm taking it a week at a time.
Last edited by BeingGreen on Thu May 31, 2012 7:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BeingGreen

Post by BeingGreen » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:31 pm

We're back from a wonderful family vacation. I can proudly report 5 green days, 2 non-idiotic S days (although I did have two desserts last Sunday which I thought was pushing the limit a little), and one "Amber Alert" day. Last night (Friday) when we got home I struggled with no sweets after dinner. I ended up eating a large serving of dried fruit, but it didn't turn into anything else! So instead of giving myself a "Red," I'm recording an "Amber." A little mod I'd like to try for the next three months or so.

And taking a cue from oolala, I'm going to do a quarterly weigh-in only!

Have a nice weekend, everyone :D

BeingGreen

Post by BeingGreen » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:21 pm

The first two weeks in April were a relative disaster on the food front. I am not at all happy with my body or my weight. I have been eating as if there were no consequences!!

I have resisted and resisted Vanilla No S because in my mind it's so hard to give up a daily sweet--a daily reward for all the exercising I do. But in the last year, I have struggled mightily at gaining traction in order to drop some pounds and instead gained many. Obviously the slippery slope of a daily sweet turning into more and more eating of all kinds is treacherous for me.

If I want to get anywhere near my goal weight, I'll have to be on some sort of a "diet." No S is the only sensible one out there and it has worked for me in the past.

Like Janie, I am DETERMINED to make this work.

Yesterday, Day 1, was Green. :D
B: Nancy's Honey Yogurt; orange; coffee with cream and sugar
L: Banana and soymilk smoothie; rice cakes with PB; apple
D: Large salad with hummus; olives; feta; tzatziki

BeingGreen

Post by BeingGreen » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:46 am

Tuesday, Day 2: Green!
Wednesday, Day 3: Green!
B: Muesli, goat milk, banana
L: 1 slice pizza with tofu and veggies; brussel sprouts; sesame seed crunch; orange
Tall soy latte at 3:00pm
D: Large salad with black beans, corn, guacamole; dried mango

BeingGreen

Post by BeingGreen » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:45 am

Thursday, Day 4: Green!
B: Nancy's honey yogurt; orange; coffee with cream and sugar
L: PB with banana; pineapple coconut soy milk smoothie (homemade)
D: Large greek salad; hummus with carrots; dried figs

BeingGreen

Post by BeingGreen » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:48 am

Friday, Day 5: Green--and it was hard earned!
Large plates at lunch and dinner. Wanted snacks and/or sweets very much. Also wanted a good solid green week. Feeling successful as I head into the weekend.

Happy S days to all!

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:26 am

Wow - good for you! That is the kind of week I am striving for!

BeingGreen

Post by BeingGreen » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:14 pm

This weekend was kind of over the top. Lots of sweets/junk food. I'm so glad to be back to an N day. Hopefully, next weekend I can be less munchy. Otherwise, I don't see how I"ll ever lose this 20 pounds!

BTW, thanks for your support Amy! I wish you a totally green week.

BeingGreen

Post by BeingGreen » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:16 pm

Monday, Day 8: Green!
It took some effort to skip the temptations, but at the end of the day, I felt fine and satisfied. Glad to have rules in place.
B: Yogurt, orange, granola
L: Rice cakes w/ almond butter, banana/blueberry/soy smoothie, dried fruit
D: Roasted veggies, roasted potatoes w/feta and olives, hummus w/carrots, dried fruit

BeingGreen

Post by BeingGreen » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:30 pm

Tuesday, Day 9: Green!
A reasonably low temptation day.
B: Muesli, whole goat milk, orange, coffee/cream sugar
L: L.O. pizza (2 slices), brussel sprouts, dried mango & coconut
D: Sauteed veggies w/ red sauce, edamame, sweet potato, red wine

Today's going okay but it was really hard to stop at one plate at the end of a large lunch. I'm back on track without heading into red territory!

BeingGreen

Post by BeingGreen » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:45 pm

Wednesday, Day 10, green but JUST barely.
Temptation everywhere, especially on Grocery Day.
B: Yogurt, PB toast, banana, coffee cream/sugar (I love this breakfast!)
L: Starving after hard workout. Carrots/hummus, dolmas, brussel sprouts, yogurt, granola
D: Beer, Arugula/pepper salad, HB eggs, WW roll with seeds/raisins, spread with marscapone and fig jam, hazelnuts, and dried mango
(This plate would have been practically overflowing. The nuts and mango I virtually plated. Kind of suspect, I think.)

The only redeeming grace is that I recognized I was most definitely full. I kept thinking: "stop now and you can still call it green. Eat more and you'll only feel worse, even though your brain is telling you to eat some candy to soothe your bad feelings about your large dinner." Tricky little thing that brain of mine!!

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:53 am

Great work. Your food sounds so tasty.
Had Grocery Day today, too. It's so much harder with all the temptations!!
Congrats on listening to your fullness!
Liz

BeingGreen

Post by BeingGreen » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:51 pm

Thursday, Day 10, green but three very large meals.
Friday, Day 11, S day.
Saturday, Day 12, S day--it's my birthday today :D

I'm hoping that turning 42 will give me the oomph I need to change my ways. 41 was not a good year for my waistline.

Thanks for checking in Liz! I see by your posts that you're struggling and I'm with you in spirit.

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Tue May 22, 2012 8:55 pm

Hi, Brianna.
Happy Late Birthday! Hope you're still doing well.
:D
Liz

BeingGreen

Post by BeingGreen » Thu May 31, 2012 7:49 pm

This summer I would most like to work on what I view as my worst food habit. It's a habit that goes back at least 30 years, although it didn't become a huge problem until the last year or two. I'm calling it "Secret Eating." Reinhard touches on it in his recent podcast about "Solitary Eating" and lbb (Liz) directly refers to it in her signature line on this bulletin board. So I know I'm not alone. And I frequently look here for support even if I'm not writing much.

If I change nothing else over the next three months but this, I feel I will have made a gigantic leap in finding peace with food. To track I'll mark a :D for every successful No Secret Eating day.

And while I'm at it how about a little vanilla No S for me too!

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Thu May 31, 2012 8:56 pm

You're in good company, Brianna. MANY of us struggle with the same thing. Maybe we should all "secret eat" together...hahaha! Then, we're not longer secret eating, but still getting our fix. :wink:
I kid.
No, I think that's a great goal. Make sure you have someone who will help support you. Someone who wouldn't frown upon you if you DID come in on an S day with an armful of junk and ate it in front of them. They could help you.
I get in trouble often when I eat in fear of people seeing. It's like "it didn't happen!". But it did. And I know that and my body does, too.
Liz

BeingGreen

Post by BeingGreen » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:26 am

June 1: :D
June 2: It's going to be harder to get rid of this habit than I thought! In general, no problem with secret eating today, but I noticed that as I was transferring the leftovers from dinner to a tupperware container, I popped the spoon into my mouth without thinking about my commitment to myself here on the No S site. No big deal, but it's hard to keep this habit-breaking stuff in the front of your mind at all times!

BeingGreen

Post by BeingGreen » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:02 am

June 3: :D
Good S day overall. I ate light all day knowing I would eat my largest meal at dinner (wine, pizza, salad, ice cream). I ate more dessert than I intended but no secret eating! Even though I had a few chocolate covered almonds after dinner, I brought the package out and ate a couple in full view! It was easier to stop at a few than if I were sneaking them from the pantry closet!

Looking foward to a green week of Vanillla No S.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:12 am

Sounds like you did really well this weekend! BTW I totally get the spoon in the mouth when putting leftovers in the tupperware boxes - I do the same thing! :wink:

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:00 pm

HOORAY for no inside pantry eating! I love that feeling of being open, honest and in full view of food.
Keep this up you're doing great!
Liz

BeingGreen

Post by BeingGreen » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:55 pm

Thanks Amy and Liz for the cheers--they mean a lot!

June 4: :D
Green day and No Secret Eating!
By the end of the day, I was still pretty hungry. I need to watch out for undereating (given my history) so I enjoyed a whole mango around 9:00pm--I considered it part of a virtual plating since I ate so little at lunch. My DH thinks it's funny when I eat a mango because it's such a messy production, but I carried on and was glad it was in full view!

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:03 am

Sounds like how I eat things. My husband thinks I'm so weird. :oops:
Oh well! Sounds yum and good job on the no secret eating! You go girl!
Liz

BeingGreen

Post by BeingGreen » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:31 pm

June 5: Green and No Secret Eating. Just a regular day. So far, so good on Wednesday too.

Liz-From what you've said, you're certainly no "weirder" than your hubby in terms of eating! And believe me, my husband can snack with the best of them! He'd like to lose 10 pounds, has reasonably good eating habits, but hasn't been able to stick to an excercise routine. He works and travels for work an insane number of hours per week.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:42 am

"Just a regular day" - awesome! :D

BeingGreen

Post by BeingGreen » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:58 am

June 6: Green and No Secret Eating. But I was dangerously close to a Red.
I almost had a snack attack right after lunch, but somehow, miraculously, just before the moment of no return--I reminded myself of my goals this summer and I stopped and I put the bag of kettle corn away!

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:03 am

Hooray! And kettle corn!? That is dangerous round my parts!
Good job creating great habits!

BeingGreen

Post by BeingGreen » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:08 am

You're SO right about the kettle corn Liz. I should just throw it out!

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:27 am

You're doing great Brianna! Keep hanging in there!

BeingGreen

Post by BeingGreen » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:04 pm

June 7: Green and No Secret Eating!
June 8: Green and No Secret Eating!! This was a very difficult challenge last night after dinner. I was so close to caving, to talking myself into eating a treat or two ("I'll only have a little, what does it really matter?" etc). But I reminded myself about my challenge here, the supportive efriends I have made and that are rooting for me, and the value of HABIT. A sweet was never going to live up to all of that, and ONE sweet surely wouldn't have been enough!
Thanks Reinhard (again!) and all of you who post regularly here. This forum is AWESOME and something I can really lean on right now.

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:16 pm

HOORAY!
Fist pumps!
Cheerleader kicks!
I'm so proud of you and you're my inspiration!
It DOES count. That one cookie.
Getting strict myself again.
Listened to podcasts and re-committed.
WE CAN DO THIS!
xoxo
:D :D :D :D :D :D
Liz

BeingGreen

Post by BeingGreen » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:42 pm

Thanks Liz! I smiled BIG when I saw your cheers here :D
Yesterday was a fine S day, although I notice that after dinner is over and there are no more meals to look forward to on an S day, I feel kind of let down. I spend time imagining what else I "could" eat--it's an S day after all!
I wasn't hungry but I did feel snacky. I ended up with a few potato chips and my favorite dried mango. Basically out in the open ( :wink: ) but my openess is still a work in progress!

BeingGreen

Post by BeingGreen » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:31 pm

June: S day and NO Secret Eating :D
We threw a big party for my DS who is "graduating" from 5th grade and moving on to middle school next year. I was nervous and excited so I didn't even eat much all day. Came home and had a nice dinner with pizza, salad, wine and ice cream for dessert. I felt great and slept well.

Good luck to all us Vanilla types this week :D

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:11 am

Sometimes nervous and excited can really work to our advantage! :wink: Congratulations to your son and good luck to you too, this week!

BeingGreen

Post by BeingGreen » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:32 pm

Well after the great weekend, I stumbled, stumbled, and stumbled again! Red for Monday, red for Tuesday!! I can't really guarantee a good day today either because we are having our "Summer Kick-Off/End of school" party today after school. It's really no reason to take an S day, but it will be challenging for me.

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:16 pm

I'm sorry Brianna. I think we all relate big-time, unfortunately.
I'm working on ONE MEAL AT A TIME.
I mess myself up when I think too far ahead. Which I've been doing.
GOod luck tonight. You can go green!
Liz

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:35 am

Don't beat yourself up! I had four reds in a row last week, so I know where you're coming from. Just pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and do the best you can. And if you really need to - take an S day - it might actually help you be more moderate than having to give yourself a red (and risking getting into WTH mindset).

BeingGreen

Post by BeingGreen » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:18 pm

Thanks Amy and Liz, for the encouragement! So I wouldn't experience a WTH effect, I decided to make yesterday was an S day because of all the celebrating. I ate plenty but at least it wasn't "idiotic."

At our house, this the first official day of Summer. Since I'm going for my "Summer Challenge," I plan to finish this week "Green" and get busy with slow, steady, summer habit re-building and (hopefully) a little weight loss :)

And Liz you make such an important point about one meal at time. I'm with you on that!

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:40 am

Good for you! :D

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:24 pm

Good job on not being "idiotic" !:)
It's the last day of preschool today and our kids still don't get out of elementary till next Friday (in the Pacific Northwest it doesn't feel like summer anyways!).
I like this "summer challenge" though. I think I will join you on that bandwagon today. I'm feeling good and we can do this.
Liz

BeingGreen

Post by BeingGreen » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:15 pm

Well last week was a total loss, in terms of No S anyway! So onward and upward with my summer challenge. Monday was the first day of summer camps, so I "began" again then. It was my first green in a while and it felt good. Today is going well too. I admit I'm back on my green smoothies and juicing kick (at least temporarily) because I've got to lose some weight. I haven't been this heavy in a while--it's affecting my running and it make my TOM symptoms worse!!

BeingGreen

Post by BeingGreen » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:48 am

Wednesday was essentially green, although I did a little virtual plating after dinner (i.e., dinner was pretty small and so I "added" some fruit to the plate :wink: ).

I loved Oolala's analogy about the horses and the corral! I'm going to try to use that mental image. And I also loved what she wrote about what triggers the WTH effect:

"But here's the thing: if you do bring it to your mouth and eat it, IT IS MEANINGLESS. You attach all sorts of meanings that denigrate you as a person and that is not true and is not helping. You are afraid, possibly, that if you don't feel bad about it, it will mean you are a bad person. Not true."

Thanks Oolala :!:

BeingGreen

Post by BeingGreen » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:46 pm

Thursday green :D But TGIF!!! Planning on green today and lovely yellow tomorrow and Sunday. Happy weekend everyone.

BeingGreen

Post by BeingGreen » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:10 pm

Hi all. The weekend went well--two non-idiotic S days. Monday was green. Trying for an all green week. Weight loss is slow . . .