Butterfly Daily Check-In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

butterfly1000

Butterfly Daily Check-In

Post by butterfly1000 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:01 pm

Going to try again -- hopefully long enough to see results this time.

mimi

Post by mimi » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:38 pm

Welcome back Butterfly! Glad to see you again! You will see results - just be patient! And even if it takes a while, maintaining is much better than gaining, right?!

Mimi :D
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

butterfly1000

Post by butterfly1000 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:16 pm

You're absolutely right Mimi. I have to be patient, give it a legitimate chance, and not let the discouragement lead me to quit.

butterfly1000

Post by butterfly1000 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:21 pm

Monday

So far so good -- still have a few hours till bedtime but I'm hoping not to eat anything else. I had a yoghurt in the afternoon but for now I allow myself yoghurt or fruit if I'm really hungry in between meals -- I know it's something I won't abuse.

Hoping to start walking more often ... not today though -- weather too cold and I'm too exhausted.

butterfly1000

Post by butterfly1000 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:13 pm

Tuesday
Just finished supper -- so far so good. Had some fruit in afternoon, but that's o.k. Now the tougher part -- after supper. Hopefully I'll have 2 good days in a row.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:23 am

After dinner was the hardest time for me too when I started. So I ate supper later than usual and went to bed early. That also meant it was easier to get up for exercise in the morning.

If I was really hungry, I had a glass of milk.
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

butterfly1000

Post by butterfly1000 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:39 am

It is hard in the evening and in situations where food is placed in front of you.

Yesterday, Wednesday I couldn't resist and had a bowl of cereal in the evening -- but overall the day was good, my meals were very sensible.

Today I was in a meeting all day and there was food -- cookies and muffins in the morning, dessert after lunch, and more munchies during the afternoon. I resisted in the morning and tried to after lunch, but I ended up caving in with the dessert. And then in the afternoon the eating continued. Tomorrow I'm in a meeting all day again and it's going to be the same battle -- I'm so tired of the battle with food -- why am I not able to just say no I'm not eating that and stop thinking about it? Very discouraging.

mimi

Post by mimi » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:53 am

Dear Butterfly,
Tonight write down the reasons you want to lose weight on an index card and put it in your purse. Then tomorrow when the food at the meeting starts talking to you, slip out to the restroom and read those reasons you wrote down. Read them several times if you have to. I guarantee it will help. I've been doing this for several months now and it has gotten me through some tough times. This is a strategy from The Beck Diet Solution, by the way. Two other cards that I wrote and have helped me so much are:

No choice! (in huge letters filling the card!) and another one:

No excuses! I'd rather be thin!

Good luck tomorrow. Let us know how it turns out!

butterfly1000

Post by butterfly1000 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:19 pm

Friday:
Horrible day foodwise -- and the worse part is that I kinda felt sick afterwards, so what a waste. :oops:

Thank you for the advice Mimi. I just wrote down the reasons why I want to lose weight (I just wrote down the main ones and I was surprised at how many there were). It's incredible how the excessive weight and the battle with food controls my life. I'm going to try and read them on a regular basis (and especially when I know I'm going to be particularly vulnerable).

Week-end is coming up and I'm going to try to not go overboard.

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:39 pm

Glad you were able to join the 21 day challenge...it really is a challenge with ourselves as we surely can be our own worst enemy.

Yes, it is always good to remember why you want to lose weight..it seems the food is not worth it when you have so many good things to look forward to.

I left after a few months of No S, but came back a couple weeks ago...I realized the darn binging was getting me no where emotionally and only added pounds and more emotional issues.

Love/hate relationship with food.. :)

Have a great day!
deb

p.s. I have the Beck book...and I think I will dust it off and apply some of her suggestions...
Age 56: SBMI=30.6 (12/1/13) CBMI 28.9 (2/2/14) GBMI-24.8

butterfly1000

Post by butterfly1000 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:42 am

Week-end
Not as good as I had hoped -- I was hoping to do No-S since I did really badly last Thursday and Friday but that didn't work out.

Monday
My 3 meals were very reasonable :) . I was really hungry in the afternoon and had a fruit. I don't think my lunch was enough to bring me to supper but I felt o.k. after having it -- I have to try and figure out what the right quantity is that I need to bring me from one meal to the other without overdoing it.

Messed up in the evening :oops: . It was around 9:30 and I was still far away from going to bed and I was hungry. I thought about having a glass of milk but I didn't think that would do it and that I'd end up eating something else in the end, so I had a small bowl of cereal.

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:50 am

Hi Butterfly!!
Want to wish you a great day today! I like Mimi's idea of the index card! Goodluck! :D
"Rivers know this: There is no hurry. We shall get there some day." ~Winnie the Pooh ~

A Flower does not think of competing with the flower next to it. It just blooms!

Diets Don't Work.

mimi

Post by mimi » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:23 am

Oops, Zippadee! Not Mimi's idea, but Judith Beck's! It's a strategy that comes straight out of her book The Beck Diet Solution. Many of her strategies, although not all, have helped me a great deal. Writing on index cards and reading them several times a day is one of them.

butterfly1000

Post by butterfly1000 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:31 am

Tuesday

My first green day :) . Bkfst and lunch were very reasonable -- had a fruit in the afternoon -- for supper I ate a little too much (I love pasta), and I was really hungry, but overall a good day foodwise.

One of my goals is to go for a walk most days (or treadmill when weather isn't nice). I kicked myself in the butt, got up a little earlier and went for a 15 min walk before work. :)

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:33 am

Hi, I hear ya on the hunger, it is so important to eat enough at each meal..what I find that helps me is I have my fruit right after the meal, immediately. That keeps me full for hours. Just a thought...

If you don't enough it only leads to late hunger...I do go to bed early, like 9:00 so physically I guess I don't deal with the late night hunger.

deb :)

butterfly1000

Post by butterfly1000 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:16 am

Wednesday
Did o.k. during the day :) but messed up again in the evening :oops: . I go to bed around 11:00 so it feels like a long way between supper and bedtime. I had a bowl of cereal around 10:00. I should try to have a glass of milk instead, sometimes I don't know if it's actual hunger or just habit.

No walk today. :(

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:22 am

What time do you eat your meals, can you eat dinner a tad later? Also, I make hot chocolate using milk, cocoa powder, splenda, this might satisfy you. I could not just drink plain milk, would not cut it. The cocoa powder is actually healthy for you, no fats, etc. Or you could use stevia?

I have found if I eat dinner later and enough I'm fine, but then again I go to bed at 9:00.

Oh ya, I also might have like 1/2 cup OJ, 1/2 cup seltzer water and lime juice with splenda.

Just some suggestions. We are allowed to drink other things besides water..just no sugary drinks, like sugared pop.

p.s. I know you probably know all this seeing you have been around for awhile :)

butterfly1000

Post by butterfly1000 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:03 am

Thursday

Good day overall, meals have been reasonable :) . I'm just having a really hard time eliminating the 10pm snack :oops: . I'm going to keep working on that. Also having a hard time incorporating a walk or treadmill before going to work :oops: going to work on that as well.

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:58 am

Hi Butterfly!!!

Glad your days are going well! :D About the 10 pm snack. How about just go to bed and go to sleep that way you don't have to think about it! I was just reading on another thread about will power and how it gets depleted during the day. So, by 10 pm it is likely running on the low side and needs to be replenished. The best way to replenish it is good ole fashion SLEEP!!! The last time I did NoS...in 2010...I learned that one of the best things I can do for myself is make sure I am getting enough rest. I turned my sleep habits around in 2010 and have continued to make sleep a priority for me. I NEED to rest. You may be getting plenty of rest. I was just thinking....at 10 pm I am on my sleeping pillow. :D Happy Friday!
"Rivers know this: There is no hurry. We shall get there some day." ~Winnie the Pooh ~

A Flower does not think of competing with the flower next to it. It just blooms!

Diets Don't Work.

butterfly1000

Post by butterfly1000 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:10 am

Friday

Besides the evening snack that I'm having trouble getting rid off, the day wasn't too bad. I even kicked myself earlier out of bed to go for a walk before work. :) Next week I will try to apply some of the advice I've been getting for the evening snack (i.e. go to bed earlier, have a glass of milk instead).

Week-end's here -- going to try really hard no to let it be out of control.

Have a good week-end ZippaDee!

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:44 pm

Hi there....didn't understand your post on the april challenge, you said a bowl of cereal, with just milk. So you'll use a bowl and fill with milk and a spoon? Mmmm, might work, the motion of the hand to mouth.

If you are sticking with 3 squares, no sweets or seconds you are well on your way. I know there are people that mod the program and have 4 meals a day.

I think that if you feel you need something at 10 then so be it...I'm sure there are plenty of people on here that have 4 meals a day. Something you say in your head up front, this is what I'm doing and stick to it.

If you are doing so great during the day and following all the other parts, then just change it up to 4 meals for yourself..I think this would be considered green as you modified it a bit..so what...

Don't beat yourself up for it..truly not worth it and I think you are doing fantastic!!!

So, what do you think...? Sometimes I think we try to comply with everyone else..and put too much stress and end up failing because we are doing what everyone else is doing..do what works for you and you will succeed..free yourself up to have that cereal at night..I know I would if it was going to cause me so much grief.

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:15 pm

Sometimes I think we try to comply with everyone else..and put too much stress and end up failing because we are doing what everyone else is doing..do what works for you and you will succeed..free yourself up to have that cereal at night..I know I would if it was going to cause me so much grief.
AMEN to that! We are all unique. Do what works for YOU and keeps you sane and on track! Have a great weekend!

Diets Don't Work.

butterfly1000

Post by butterfly1000 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:14 pm

NoSnacker wrote: So, what do you think...? Sometimes I think we try to comply with everyone else..and put too much stress and end up failing because we are doing what everyone else is doing..do what works for you and you will succeed..free yourself up to have that cereal at night..I know I would if it was going to cause me so much grief.
I agree with what you're saying. A small bowl of cereal in the evening is not what got me to the weight I am today, and overall I think I've been doing o.k. this week (even my pants don't feel as tight). I think what I need to do though is make sure that I'm not just eating it out of habit. Or try just a glass of milk and see if it does the job.

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:29 pm

K, I'm sure you know what true hunger is, if you are eating dinner at 6:00 and going to bed at 10:00 could be. I know my night-time binging got me to being so overweight...if I can tame that I might win at this :)

Let me know how you make out. Hate to see you feeling so bad about it, when you are doing so well during the day.

Have a great Sunday...

I hope to have one that is not an S day gone wild.

deb

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:07 am

Hi stopping by to let you know we are all here for you...hope you had a nice Easter.

deb

butterfly1000

Post by butterfly1000 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:46 am

Week-end
Well, the week-end wasn't totally out of control. I had some chocolate on Saturday (the rest of my family ate theirs on Friday night, but I kept mine for Saturday -- it felt good to say, I'll keep mine for tomorrow. I also had a small piece of dessert during a family lunch on Sunday.

I still have many things that I want to work on but this was the best week, foodwise, that I've had in a very long time.

Monday
Breakfast was good -- last week I replaced the high calorie muffin I used to eat by a bowl of yoghurt with granola cereal, I plan to continue with lower fat bkfst instead of muffin (hopefully one day it won't even bother me not the have the muffin).
Lunch was very reasonable.
Supper -- on one plate but a little too much.
Evening -- had a snack and shouldn't have because I had a big supper -- will continue working on it.

Tuesday
Morning: :)
Afternoon: :)
Evening: :oops: Still working on eliminating that evening snack
Walk: :oops:

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:24 pm

I like how you are working in segments...you'll get there...one less snack at a time :)

Hang in there....

p.s. and good on saving your candy tooooo...

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:52 am

Like Deb, just popping in to wish you all the best, Butterfly! Sounds like you're doing great! Welcome back to No S !
No S-er since December 2009
Streamlined S Days: 6/25/12
SW: 170 /CW: 127
Weight loss to date: 43 lbs

butterfly1000

Post by butterfly1000 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:47 am

I can't say it enough how the people on this discussion board are so incredible and encouraging. Thanks guys!

Wednesday
Morning: :) didn't have seconds but my choice wasn't very good -- I really felt like having a muffin instead of the yoghurt and granola cereal I've been having recently, and I gave in to the muffin.
Afternoon: :) had a sandwich for lunch and a fruit mid afternoon
Supper: :) reasonable
Other: :oops: bowl of cereal (I will eliminate this eventually)
Walk: :mrgreen: 15 min on the treadmill before work

butterfly1000

Post by butterfly1000 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:25 pm

I wish I was able to come and read/post on a daily basis because I find it does help. But, sometimes at the end of the day I'm so tired (or one of the kids is on the computer) -- or in the morning I'm running around getting ready for work -- that I don't make it to the computer. I do jot down notes on a notepad in order not to forget so I'll post a little update now.

Thursday
Evening: :oops: It's still the snack. Supper was in one plate but a little greasy (but was it ever good!)
Walk: :mrgreen: 15 minutes

Friday
Evening: :oops: Snack ; Also had too much for supper -- I feel I'm starting to have a bit of a harder time to be reasonable. Worried about the week-end coming up.
Walk: :oops:

Saturday
Did alright until supper time (had my normal bkfst and lunch with a small snack in the afternoon). But I was having a really hard time controlling it (I really felt like eating everything in sight). After supper I totally lost control and ate all sorts of sweets. I ended up feeling uncomfortably stuffed and guilty. I know I'm allowed sweets on week-end, and having a sweet would have been o.k. -- it's the not having control that really bothers me -- it's the eating without necessarily enjoying it, but can't stop.

It's Sunday morning as I'm writing this. I hope it will be a more controlled day.

Sunday
It's going from bad to worse -- I felt like I was starting to have a little control in what I ate during the last 1-1/2 weeks and now I feel I'm losing it.

butterfly1000

Post by butterfly1000 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:18 am

Monday
Morning: :) very reasonable bkfst
Afternoon: :) very reasonable lunch
Evening: :oops: 2 plates of food even though I was full after one :oops:
Snack: :oops: big bowl of ice cream which made me feel totally sick :oops:
Walk: :oops: none whatsoever :oops:

I need to get control back really quickly.

butterfly1000

Post by butterfly1000 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:18 am

I've fallen off the wagon and having a really hard time getting back on. I try to think of how good it felt to feel I had some control on what and when I ate (during first and a half week), but somehow it's not enough to get back on track. I know exercise would also really help to get motivated but I have such a hard time doing it in the morning and after work I'm exhausted. O.k. -- I know these are all excuses -- other people are able to do it, so I should also (I've been reading some people's daily check-ins and I see that people are able to exercise before work for example). I just have to kick myself in the butt and do it until it becomes a habit.

It's Wednesday morning as I write this, I hope I'll have something positive to write at the end of the day or tomorrow morning. :oops:

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:34 am

Sorry to hear you are struggling, been there, felt that..it is hard to stay on track, but what if you just thought of it as not dieting but just eating 3 times a day, you know that binging won't get you anywhere fast...you need to love you, only you can love you. Stand against it, be strong and just go with it it all takes time, but it will work and you will find sanity, you will!!

Binging is not the answer for us, it truly adds no value to our lives,,temporary fixes things..but things are still there..just like an alcoholic drinks to not think of the life they have and it doesn't change things.

I was where you were my first time around, really I was...so discouraged in myself...I gave up on me.

Please don't give up on you, binging will only drag you into the dark pit of dispear (spelling).

Fight girl, fight for your life!!

butterfly1000

Post by butterfly1000 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:33 pm

NoSnacker wrote:Binging is not the answer for us, it truly adds no value to our lives,,temporary fixes things..but things are still there..just like an alcoholic drinks to not think of the life they have and it doesn't change things.
Thanks so much for the encouragement. You're right, binging is not the answer, and there are times where it's easier to control and others when it's really hard. My head knows what to do but I don't always listen to my head where food is concerned, and then I overeat and feel worse. I'm going to keep trying and I so hope that eventually it will get easier because I'm so tired of fighting this battle and losing. I have to stick to it long enough to see real results. :(

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:20 pm

Yes it is hard, but if you dig down deep you can find it..and if you can come to peace with knowing it may take a long time to be skinny :) and focus on enjoying your meals, one meal at a time, one day at a time.

I think this time for me, I don't focus my thoughts on food..

I question myself with my dependency for this site..do I stop or continue..am I obsessed with it or am I not..will I succeed without it or will I not..

For now I'll stink around...hang in there..

Dig deep girl..for YOU!!!! You so deserve it...

butterfly1000

Post by butterfly1000 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:46 am

Wednesday
Total disaster -- I'm too embarrassed to even talk about it. :oops: :oops:

Some people at work have been or are on protein diets. The results are quick which encourages them to continue. Sometimes I think about it (very briefly though), but I know for me it wouldn't work because I couldn't stick to it long term. With No S, I know that if I could stick to it long enough to see results, it is something I could do for the rest of my life.

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:24 am

Right....look at everyone you know that has dieted where are they today? And no one can sustain a high protein diet. But what you might want to try is to include some protein with every meal..just as good in my opinion. I had friends that said after 2 weeks it is so hard..and quick weight loss is usually water first. They may succeed for a while as they are doing it as a group, but you'll see..

It is hard for sure, but you'll find that place deep down to keep you going and you'll get stronger..don't give up...when I gave up last time I gained 18lbs...now I may only have lost 3 of those, but I'm not GAINING..and that is encouraging...

You can do it butterfly,,,,,you can....

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:47 am

hi me again...for me i guess after all the years of dieting, WW, etc, etc. I have come to love healthier food i suppose..don't get me wrong..i love pizza, french fries and all the like, but i think if you train yourself eventually you'll come to love the healthier fare. being at WW i'm sure you learned a lot about nutrition right, and from all the diets you have been on. when i binge it can be on anything, bread with cheese on it, chips, cookies, whatever is around..i don't have a particular food..just food :)

i also have been using the 8 1/2 inch plate even before No S as I read somewhere it really tricks your mind and it does..especially if you are a clean the plate club person.

as for exercise, i truly have been doing it since i was like 27, i'm 55 now..used to walk a lot, ride a stationary bike, etc.

the key to getting addicted to exercise, is really just do it..even if you don't feel like it..turn off the TV and go for a walk, take the kids, just move..they say even 30 minutes of walking a day improves your overall health. even if you walk in place while watching TV, anything...you will FEEL better, trust me..there is an angel on one shoulder and you know who on the other..well listen to the angel and kick you know who off your other shoulder.

keep hope at hand!!

if you like i would not mind giving you my phone number if you need to talk about things..i don't ever do that, but i know you WANT to succeed..

and really it is all a mind thing to, mostly for sure.. i don't by the crap anymore about oh this or that hormone makes you eat...wrong, we have control over our thoughts which can either have us binge or not, have us be positive or not..

k, i'll be in touch :)

p.s. you may not like what you see in the mirror, but REALLY who does right...what you see in the mirror is a wounded person hence the weight, not cause you want to have fun with food, but because you used food for other reasons then enjoyment,,really...look in the mirror at your face and start saying "darn it, i'm worth it, the binges are destroying me and they will stop"!

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:36 pm

I echo all that No Snacker says.
You can do this and please don't get discouraged. It IS hard in the real world living No S, but the easiest by far to maintain and to do "normally".
I have run the gamut on Protein diets. The thing is: you're right. You can lose pretty quickly. But then you go out with friends. A bread basket is brought and you maybe have one piece and then all hell breaks lose.
The protein diets are so hard to maintain forever. Burgers/sandwiches sans the bread?
Plus, it's surpassing the MAIN problem we are where we are: bad habits.
I used to over-do it (binge) on protein "allowed" stuff (peanut butter, nuts, even bacon/eggs). And I'm telling ya: it feels awful, too.
So let's focus less on the FOOD and more on the HABIT.
I agree that adding protein to every meal is important (turkey on your sandwich, etc), or even beans/rice/cheese. Whatever.
You can do this.
Liz

butterfly1000

Post by butterfly1000 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:05 am

Thursday
No comment :oops: :oops: :oops:

Friday

Exercise: Felt horrible about how yesterday went so I kicked myself out of bed earlier and did 20 min of treadmill. :)

Bkfst: Muffin (I bought a lower fat one, but I could have made a better choice in bkfst)

Lunch: Bought lunch at cafeteria -- one plate but way too much.

Other: Went to pick up some groceries after work and was really really in the mood for chips. I knew that after supper I was going to have dessert because of a special event so I debated "I'm going to mess up this evening anyways, so why not have the chips" - "I'm already going to have dessert tonight so why add more calories with chips". Fortunately, common sense won, and I didn't buy the chips. :)

Supper: Ate way too much (on one plate) and had dessert (but it was a special event).

Hopefully that will be all for today.

Week-end coming up -- have to keep it under control.
Last edited by butterfly1000 on Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:39 am, edited 3 times in total.

butterfly1000

Post by butterfly1000 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:12 am

lbb (Liz) wrote:So let's focus less on the FOOD and more on the HABIT.
I agree with this but I have a really hard time with it. It's a struggle between what I feel like eating and what I know I should eat (when I try to just stick to the habit, I feel guilty with the choices I make) -- and I also have the calculator in my head trying to estimate how many points or calories I'm eating.

My first 2 weeks back to No S were reasonable. This last week was horrible. I'm just going to keep working at it because I want so badly for it to work this time.

Thanks for the encouragement and advice.

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:37 pm

Yes I agree and sometimes my "advice" is more for myself than someone else.
It's HARD.
In fact, I was guilty last night of tallying up my calories (out of curiosity) and being utterly sick about how many I had eaten that day.
AH! But, I have hope it will all even out...?
Keep it up. We're here to support each other.

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:19 am

Is it your TOM? Do you not trust in yourself from all the years of dieting..we end up just not believing in ourselves anymore ya know...

You did not buy the chips, I did and ate plenty..yesterday...so an S day..hoping Sunday is a little more tamer, didn't like how I felt at all..so see it is all a process.

Diet head is very hard to put out, but over time I'm sure it can and will work. We just have to believe we can do it...seems like you beat yourself up a lot young lady..

Pick up, dust off and believe in your again, hope in you again.

Do you have the book? Can you get the Beck book, perhaps from the Library??

We are all rooting for you...

butterfly1000

Post by butterfly1000 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:18 pm

Yes I do have the Beck book. I started reading it yesterday. And yes I do beat myself up a lot -- I get up in the morning full of good intentions and when I'm not able to stick with them I get really discouraged -- I've always had to watch what I eat, but during the last 10 years my weight has gotten totally out of control.

And when Summer starts creeping up my panic to lose weight increases (have to wear shorts, bathing suit if I go to the beach, too hot to wear sweater to cover up my big a.., and so on).

Tomorrow's Monday, I'm going to take it one day at a time.

And this time around I'm trying really hard to continue posting here even if it's not going well -- usually I quit after a while because I feel guilty to report that I'm not able to follow it. I'm going to try to remember that no one is here to judge me, we're all here to encourage each other -- and if I stick around long enough sooner or later I'll be posting more happy faces.

Thank you!

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:39 pm

You have got that right...it is hard to stick around when not doing well...but I think it can help, even if we are the only ones that read it :)

I went for my walk and hope to take the left over chips to my daughters house...I know better, I never win the battle with chips...they are my favorite thing :) amongst other things..

I too always wake up with good intent...and always fell on my face..I think if you could get a couple more days under you belt during the week, you'll start to win the battle..

I know the feeling of desperation to lose by summer, etc. I have a bike ride June 2 (17 miles) and I should weight about 140, I weight 180, so 40lbs is not small bag of potatoes to carry around...but ya know I can't stop living life..so if I lose or not I'll do it...my walking and elliptical will help me get in some sort of physical shape...

I put my life on hold so many times due to my being so self-conscious..who the heck cares what others think...

k, was just ranting....

hope you have a wonderful day and talk to you soon.

not sure if you noticed i offered my phone number to you in the event you need some support..not sure if you have enough support around you..just an offer...
deb

butterfly1000

Post by butterfly1000 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:18 pm

Thank you so much NoSnacker -- yes if I can have a few good days in a row it'll encourage me to keep going.

Thank you also for the offer of your phone number -- I'll keep that in mind.

butterfly1000

Post by butterfly1000 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:58 am

Thanks God it's Monday -- never thought I'd say that but I need some control/structure to my eating.

Hoping this week will go better than last one.

MONDAY:

Bkfst: :) reasonable
Lunch: Went out for lunch -- one plate but too much
Supper: reasonable portion but high calorie

Exercise: :oops: Didn't get up early enough this morning, and this evening I feel wiped.

:) Brought fortune cookie from lunch home and keeping it (hopefully) for an S day.

Evening is not over ... hope I can tough it out without eating anything else.

:oops: :oops: :oops: I was so close. It's incredible how much the evening snack has become a habit. Finished supper around 7 and soon after started the debate in my head trying to convince myself that I won't have a snack (it certainly wasn't hunger at that time because I had just finished supper). I ended up giving in around 10:00 -- a small 60 calorie snack -- but a snack nonetheless. :oops:

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:17 pm

Sorry you weren't able to quiet the urge to have that snack...can you jot down on 3x5 cards why you don't want the snack..especially during the time when you are strong.

examples:
"This snack will do nothing for me, but make me regret I ate it"
"This is just not worth it anymore, my being thin and happy are so much more worth it"
"I can do this, the only option to the snack is "NO"
"When I give in to this snack, I'm only reinforcing the habit I'm trying to break, making it stronger instead of weaker"

Anyhow, those are a couple you might consider.

That 60 calories is so not worth the way you felt afterwards, ya know :)

butterfly1000

Post by butterfly1000 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:49 pm

Haven't been posting much lately because it hasn't been going well -- but I'm still around, reading the posts. Constant debate going on in my head: "Do I go back to counting points"? "Well, you know you've tried that and it's not something you'll want to do for the rest of your life". "But if I don't see results I get discouraged". "Well maybe if you stuck to No S for longer than half a day, you'd see results". "Yes but if I don't count the points I'm eating, I will eat only what I like (which is high calorie) and I won't lose weight". "You've been on enough diets to judge whether the choices and quantities are reasonable without having to count". And so on, and so on... :oops:

I'm trying hard to turn off that conversation and just do what I need to do -- going to keep trying.

mimi

Post by mimi » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:55 am

And that's key, Butterfly. Keep reading and posting...don't give up and don't quit. You don't want to go back to counting points because that's not a long term solution. It's a means to get from one weight to another, but not a sustainable lifestyle. So-o-o-o...
Focus on your three plates a day, no matter what their size, until you have that down. Maybe you'll have to start out with a fourth small meal in the evening, since that's usually when you cave, until you learn to do without it. Remember, Reinhard did say (p. 58 in his book) some people might need more than three meals a day..."Just make sure to figure out what number of meals is right for you, stick with it (no changing the magic number every day!), and invest in some really small plates. And talk to your doctor, of course." If you do this, you will probably want to scale down the other three meals a bit.
And of course you want to eat foods that you like! When you counted points did you eat foods that you didn't like just because they had low point values? Ew-w-w...not good for long term either. And nothing to look forward to!
Did you make your list of reasons why you want to lose weight - an honest list? Are you reading it several times a day? Sounds like your inner child, you know - the whining one that says, "But I don't want to do this! I want to eat whatever I want whenever I want!" is not buying into your list yet, so be vigilant about reading those reasons.
Focus on N days right now, then move to working on S days...for now just remember that you can't fail on an S day. One step at a time. You can be successful, but it takes work. Keep letting us know how you're doing!

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:15 am

Very well said Mimi!!! I have had this similar conversation with myself about the points counting numerous times in the past! NO MORE! I am committed now to this plan LONG term!
You don't want to go back to counting points because that's not a long term solution. It's a means to get from one weight to another, but not a sustainable lifestyle.
This is so very true. I have counted points on and off now for the past 18 years. Guess what? It definitely has not worked for me! I am much heavier now than I was when I began counting points for the first time 18 years ago.

You can do this. And you know deep down that this makes sense! Hang in there! We are all here cheering for you! :D

Diets Don't Work.

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:46 pm

butterfly:
I so relate to the battle in the head and the different voices. PLEASE don't go back to counting. That's relying on an exterior force to keep you in control. Some obtrusive number. But with the 3 plates you are still leaving control on your lap. You can choose the food. Enjoy it and not be so "in your head."
Mimi makes some fantastic points that I'm learning from, too. I had a bad week and doubted my commitment.
But my alternative to No S is NOT attractive. I truly am happiest on this plan.
So re-commit. When we are wishy-washy on our commitment to NO-S, it's quite inevitable to fail.
Have an enjoyable S weekend! We're all here for support!

butterfly1000

Post by butterfly1000 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:54 am

Thank you to all of you! :)

butterfly1000

Post by butterfly1000 » Mon May 07, 2012 12:03 pm

I really haven't been following No S very well -- it's always on my mind but I haven't been able to stick to it. I'm going to try another approach this week -- work only on the No Sweets which is my biggest problem. We'll see how it goes.
Last edited by butterfly1000 on Tue May 08, 2012 11:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Mon May 07, 2012 4:20 pm

Wow, great support and advice here! I understand the struggle you've been going through and hope that things go better for you this week - It really makes sense to tackle the one thing that is causing you the most trouble. Good luck!

butterfly1000

Post by butterfly1000 » Tue May 08, 2012 11:11 am

One objective this week - NO SWEETS

Mon: :)
No sweets, but meals ate more than I was hungry for. Snack was cereal in evening. Even though I'm just tackling sweets for now, deep down I'd still really like to have real green days ... babysteps I guess.

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Wed May 09, 2012 11:37 am

I think that is a great idea, working on one S at a time. I believe it was mentioned in the book as well and I'm sure there are some long timers here that started off that way.

When we are bingers when we add stress to our lives it tends to make us binge which adds more stress..go figures right!

As the say in OA, AA, etc. one day at a time, one step at a time.

butterfly1000

Post by butterfly1000 » Wed May 09, 2012 11:56 am

Tuesday

Had a small piece of cupcake that my daughter baked and wanted me to try. I chose to eat it and I don't feel guilty about this one.

At work someone offered me a piece of chocolate and I said, no thank you. :)

Went shopping in the evening and thought about buying a chocolate bar since I knew that I would be tasting my daughter's dessert when I got home, so I was already going to mess up my No Sweets for the day, but I resisted. :)

Did 15 min of treadmill before work :) I have to try and remember how good it feels to get some exercise in before work when I'm glued to my pillow in the morning and can't get myself out of bed.

So, even though I did have some sweet, it could have been a lot worse. I have to try and look at the small positive things also instead of just looking at the negatives.

butterfly1000

Post by butterfly1000 » Thu May 10, 2012 11:03 am

Wednesday
No sweets :)

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Thu May 10, 2012 11:35 am

Nice :)