Jennifer's Daily Check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Jennifer

Jennifer's Daily Check-in

Post by Jennifer » Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:32 pm

Hi everyone, I am Jennifer and I am new here. I found the site about a month ago and have been trying to stick to the plan, but having some trouble. So hopefully this will keep me somewhat responsible.

I am a college student, and I have been overweight since high school. Now I am quite overweight- I have 80 lbs. to lose to be considered a "normal" bmi. I am very unhappy at this weight, and sick and tired of all the stupid things I have done before to lose weight. So here I am trying out moderation and sanity, and hopefully I will build some great habits!

I have already failed today by snacking on some crackers, so I'll start updating tomorrow.

redwinger

Post by redwinger » Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:19 am

don't get discouraged! there are alot of newbies here including me! keep checking in! it does help to keep you honest!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:30 am

Hi Jennifer and Redwinger!
Welcome!

Good advice Redwinger :)
Yes.. Get ready for a real life changing journey..
Your first steps will be to just attempt the plan.. You will have failures and screwups etc.. None of that should stop you from keeping on trying...
You will get better with practice!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:14 pm

Thanks for the welcomes you guys :) I think I am ready for the long haul...

Well, I am going to consider yesterday a partial success since the crackers were my only infraction. That's a big thing for me, that I didn't let it ruin my entire day.

I'm looking forward to posting a "success" later, so I'm going to try really hard today.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:20 am

Day 2- SUCCESS

Just had 3 meals, nothing else. I am happy, but wow...I think it may take a bit for me to get used to this. Right now, it "feels" like a diet becuase I am normally eating all day long. But I guess after a while it will just be natural. This plan makes total sense to me though, I just need to get my appetite to agree :)

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:25 am

Day 3- SUCCESS :D

I am still wondering if I should make tomorrow an S day, and go buy some green-themed threats or something :?

do the S days count in the whole "21 days" thing?

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:56 pm

Hi Jennifer,

Welcome and congratulations on your solid start.

"Special" days (if you actually observe them) are legitimate "days on habit" for the purposes of counting to 21. But don't start celebrating random holidays that you haven't traditionally observed. Today, for example, if you're not Irish or of Irish descent, you can probably show sufficient fellow feeling without stuffing yourself. Otherwise, given the number of countries in the world, you could be celebrating 365 days a year.

Reinhard

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:55 am

Hi reinhard, thanks for the welcome and the info.

I think St. Patrick's day would qualify technically as an S-day for me, I mean it's practically a national holiday, on the same par with Valentine's day and halloween, which also started as religious holidays. However I decided to keep it an N-day, since I'm just getting started and all. There's always next year right? :)

So, Day 4- SUCCESS

This is more success in a row than I had before going on my own, so I think the accountability is working!

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:28 am

Day 5- S-day

I still stuck to the three meals, but also ate half a bag of candy (which actually made me feel kind of ill).

I don't really want my S-days to be chaotic: I like the feeling of being in control! So I'll try to make them the same as N-days, but with the bad things just added in.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:25 am

Day 6- S-day

I had a frostie for a treat, and that was it, so a good day!

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:39 am

Day 7- SUCCESS!

Although I have a bunch of studying to do for a final tomorrow, so midnight snacking may do me in yet. I'll count it for tomorrow if it does.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:10 am

Day 8- FAILURE

Mom made my favorite soup so I had seconds, and then some chocolate :roll: But I did make it through last night w/o the snacking I was afriad of.

Even my failures on this diet are better than most of my normal days before, so I'm not too mad at myself.

So tomorrow starts at day 1 again!

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:32 am

Day 1- SUCCESS

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:05 pm

Day 2, Day 3- SUCCESS

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:39 am

Day 4, Day 5- S-days

Day 6- SUCCESS!

I experienced today for the first time the "relief" of getting back to the N-days :)

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:51 am

Day 7- SUCCESS

I almost failed today, but I stopped myself. I was looking for dinner in the kitchen, but worried I would miss my favorite show so I grabbed the cheetos so I could have something to eat while watching it. I did have a few of them, but it just felt so wrong! So I stopped eating and as soon as the first commercial came I rushed to put them back in the pantry :) I am so proud of myself, and so glad that I did not make tomorrow another Day 1.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:19 am

Day 8, Day 9- SUCCESS

This is the longest I've gone so far!

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:23 am

yesterday, Day 10- SUCCESS

Days 11, 12- S-days

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:41 am

Day 13- SUCCESS

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:56 am

Day 14- SUCCESS

2/3 of the way there!

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:36 am

Day 15- SUCCESS

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:23 am

Day 16- SUCCESS

Dinner wasn't on a plate, but I think it would've fit.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:49 am

Day 17- SUCCESS

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:44 am

Day 18- S-day

ok, so only 3 more days 'til club membership, I think I can do it :)

today I woke up at 5 pm, so I've only eaten dinner, and I had a few candies. The really weird thing is that, I am not craving anything, I don't even feel the need to go out and buy some sweets, or like I am "wasting" my S-day. This is really so amazing for me as I've always been obsessed with food. I am SO HAPPY that I found this "diet."

And since the beginning of this thread, I've lost about 5 pounds. So that is a really healthy rate to be losing. (A couple years ago, I lost about 50 pounds very quickly, and very unhealthfully, so part of me says "what, only 5 pounds?" But now I know I want to keep this off for life, so I am dismissing those thoughts.)

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:23 am

Day 19- S-day

Day 20- SUCCESS

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:46 am

Day 21- SUCCESS

I guess I am in the club now.

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:56 am

YAY Jennifer!!!!!

Top effort. Well done.
:D

C.
CaroleJo

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:40 am

Thanks carolejo :)

Day 22- SUCCESS

I think I will just keep on counting because these high numbers are motivating.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:31 am

Day 23- SUCCESS

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:19 am

So days 24 and 25 were S-days.

And days 26 and 27 were total FAILURES!

I don't even have a good excuse. But here are some bad ones:
-maybe I felt that I deserved a break. I made it to the 21 club afterall.
-I was tired and in a bad mood.
-couldn't find much suitable for a "meal."
-slept through lunch on Monday and was ravenous at 5 when I got home.

So I'm going to learn something from this.
-get more sleep at night so I won't sleep through meals
-have more meal type food handy

The sleep will be the hardest part, I really don't know what to do about it. The problem is that I hate going to sleep at night because I know the next thing that will happen is I wake up and have to go to school, which is so miserable. It's like procrastinating on falling asleep, even when I am tired and totally could fall asleep if I wanted to. This ties in with No-S because when I am so tired I just don't give a damn about much, making fialures much more likely to happen.

Simon

Post by Simon » Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:34 pm

That's the thing about No-S, Jennifer.

It's real easy to get back up and start the process. There are no meetings to attend, no penalties to pay, no calories to count... just the simple guidelines laid out by the 14-word mantra.

And of course it helps to keep coming back here and posting about both successes AND failures because that way you're keeping yourself accountable and reinforcing the fact that you want to continue.

You go, girl!
Simon
"Hickory Hand of the North"

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:36 am

Thanks so much Simon :), I'm definately going to pick myself up and keep going.

I think I'm getting a bit of the depression again, maybe why I failed. But today was good anyways.

Day 1- SUCCESS

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:06 am

Day 2- SUCCESS

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » Wed May 03, 2006 5:23 am

so all the days before today were failures

Day 1- SUCCESS

since it was getting easier before I thought I should pick it up again just as easy, yeah right! so I'm back to "loading" the plates, I'm looking at this as starting all over. for lunch I had two bagels, but they fit on one plate. i know that's way too much food but it still is reinforcing the idea of "meals," right?

eh, I'm pretty disappointed in myself, but I guess all I can do now is move forward.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed May 03, 2006 4:32 pm

We all screw up sometimes Jenn!
Don't feel bad!
I went off NoS really bad for about three weeks a few months back and gained my most significant real gain (not pms stuff) in like 18 months here... 4 lbs... then I got right back to the 21 days on habit, made it to only 19 but shed that weight and right back on track now...
You are right that all you can do it move forward, but an essential part of moving forward is to forgive yourself first and let go of the guilt...
Good luck! Don't worry about overloading for now... Get those NoS habits first! The rest will take care of itself :)

Peace and Love,
8) Deb

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » Thu May 04, 2006 3:38 am

thanks deb, you're right I need to get rid of that guilt....it's going to kill me! guilt guilt go away and come again another......um century :)

Day 2- SUCCESS

everything else in my life seems to be going really crappily right now, but I'm gonna make this No-S thing work again!

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » Fri May 05, 2006 4:30 am

Day 3- SUCCESS

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » Sat May 06, 2006 4:13 am

Day 4- SUCCESS

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » Tue May 09, 2006 3:01 am

Days 5, 6- S-days

Day 7- SUCCESS

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » Wed May 10, 2006 3:20 am

Day 8- SUCCESS

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Wed May 10, 2006 1:05 pm

Yay!!!

Good for you for picking it back up again. That's exactly what I need to do too.

Hope everything gets a bit better and a lot less stressful soon.
C.
CaroleJo

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » Thu May 11, 2006 4:34 am

thanks carolejo for the encouragement :)

(btw the smilies here aren't very good- the smile looks like a mean smirk!)

Day 9- SUCCESS

amazingly, the scale says i have not gained back any of those 7 pounds i lost before. i was sure i had gained like 10 pounds in my two weeks of frenzied S-eating.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri May 12, 2006 1:49 am

Hi Jennifer,

Sorry it's been forever since I've popped in here.

I'm glad you're bouncing back from your last S-attack, and that the damage seems to be limited. I like the way you listed your "bad" excuses to learn from them. Sleep is a big issue. It's the tide on which all your other habits float. Unfortunately I've never had to contend with sleep issues much, so I can't offer more detailed advice advice.

Reinhard

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » Sat May 13, 2006 3:24 am

Thanks reinhard, you're right sleep is number 1. I really need to make it more of a priority. :?

Day 10- SUCCESS
Day 11- SUCCESS

I had Long John Silver's for dinner, so I'm really happy right now! Looking forward to the weekend...

My Dad's birthday is tomorrow, so I'm gonna have cake, ice cream, etc., etc. I'm also going to a classmates apt. for a study session tomorrow, and she said there will be lots of food. :D I'm just glad it's on a Saturday!

I'll go ahead and list them now:

Days 12, 13- S-days

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » Tue May 16, 2006 5:53 am

Day 14- FAILURE :(

oh well I'm not going to get mad at myself this time, I'm going to see the failures as just part of the process, that's all. Mom brought home a donut for me, and it was downhill from there.

Also, even though there is always food in the kitchen, there is never anything to eat! if that makes any sense. So I'm going grocery shopping tomorrow, to get some of the healthy stuff that I know I like.

Should also probably tell mom what I'm up to, so she wont bring me stuff on the weekdays.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » Thu May 18, 2006 5:08 am

2 more failures. don't really feel like elaborating.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » Fri May 19, 2006 3:17 am

Day 1- SUCCESS

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri May 19, 2006 1:55 pm

And since the beginning of this thread, I've lost about 5 pounds. So that is a really healthy rate to be losing. (A couple years ago, I lost about 50 pounds very quickly, and very unhealthfully, so part of me says "what, only 5 pounds?" But now I know I want to keep this off for life, so I am dismissing those thoughts.)
Good for you!!!!
I too lost weight fairly quickly through methods which were unmaintainable and some fairly unhealthy, but in the end, every pound came back on about two or three years later...
So far I have only fluctuated, at maximum, 3 or 4 pounds over 18 months, and I have maintained over 90% of my total weight loss since starting here... I totally understand that frustrated feeling of wanting to lose faster, in fact I'm going through that to some extent now.. But when I think that I could have gained every pound back by now, and then extra, if I lost my weight through some quick fix last Summer or whenever, I'm really relieved and much more content about the whole experience!
And that helps to keep me committed to this!
It's a major perk *NOT* to gain back what you lose, so just keep chanting whatever positive affirmations you can about how great you are doing! And yes, dismiss those "siren" diet calls which are soooo seductive..
They only offer empty promises, because in the end, they just aren't liveable and not maintainable, and as you mentioned probably fairly unhealthy...

Keep it up!!!!
Five pounds off is definitely better than five pounds on!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » Sat May 20, 2006 5:36 am

ah, the "siren" diet calls- that's a really good analogy! If I listen I will only go crashing into the rocks...

Day 2- SUCCESS

something "funny"- the last week or so, I've had breakfast at 12, lunch at 5, and dinner at 10/11. :shock:

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » Tue May 23, 2006 3:09 am

Days 3,4- S-days

Day 5- SUCCESS

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » Wed May 24, 2006 3:10 am

Day 6- SUCCESS

Down 2 more pounds, making a total of 9. That's about a pound a week. This is the slowest I've ever lost weight, and also the longest I've ever stuck with a specific plan. Double digits here I come!

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » Thu May 25, 2006 4:45 am

had a midnight snack so yesterday was actually a failure.

Day 1- SUCCESS

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu May 25, 2006 5:06 am

Hey you are almost there!!!!!
Great job Jennifer!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » Fri May 26, 2006 2:47 am

eh, another failure

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » Tue May 30, 2006 5:10 am

Day 1-SUCCESS

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » Wed May 31, 2006 3:07 am

donuts for dinner? that's a failure right? :roll:
eh, at least I'm posting it...

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed May 31, 2006 1:11 pm

Good for you! Posting a screwup is a good way to get it out of your system..
Those darn donuts!

Good luck today!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:36 am

I actually havent eaten in 2 days, not since those donuts! Something happened (a good thing though!) and I'm totally stressed out! I just dont feel like eating... so this would be a failure i guess :(

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:04 am

Hi guys, I'm still having the same trouble I mentioned in my previous post, so I'll be gone for awhile. I'll be back though when things settle down.