Amy's Check In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Wed May 16, 2012 6:24 am

Thanks r.jean and Sarahkay - and a good point too, about looking at how my current fails on No-S compare to "bad" days before starting No-S...yes, they are a lot different, a lot more restrained and I would also say much more conscious, which is a very good thing.

That said...yesterday (Tuesday) was a fail too! :wink: :oops:

But this morning I woke up early and opened the No-S book and re-read the chapter on habit forming. And I know what I need to do to turn things around: be stricter with myself - I have just been getting a little too sloppy the past few days, ever since the craziness of last week died down.

It's a funny thing about stress - I can hold things together while all the stress is going on, but then once there is a release it's like I just drop all the balls I was juggling. So it's time to pick up my No-S ball and get it back up in the air!

I love what Reinhard said about stress in the book - it's not a temporary problem, but rather a permanent condition with intermissions.

Have a great N day today! :lol:

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Wed May 16, 2012 12:54 pm

Today's a new day!!! This journey is VERY mental for me. My brain plays tricks on me, especially when it comes to sugar!!!

We can do this!

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Wed May 16, 2012 5:29 pm

Me too! So much of all of this is what's going on in the mind...

That's why I popped in here at the end of my day just to log green on my habitcal...Like a punctuation mark at the end of the day...to make it clear to my brain that I am DONE for the day with eating. Had three healthy plates, got in my exercise, so I am a happy camper.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Thu May 17, 2012 5:11 pm

Today (Thursday May 17) was green!

Three one plate meals and exercise (a two hour hike with husband and kids in the fresh air - awesome!).

Going strong so far... :mrgreen:

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Thu May 17, 2012 11:36 pm

YAHOO!
Keep it up. Cheering for you.
Liz

sarahkay

Post by sarahkay » Sat May 19, 2012 3:49 am

I know what you mean about getting sloppy. I have had a few fails in just a couple weeks and I don't like it! But I have to tell myself this is what I'm doing, these are the rules. I may not like it sometimes, but I just have to experience those feelings and keep going rather than jumping off the wagon at the slightest discomfort. Don't know if that is quite what you are feeling, but I wanted to share. :)

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Sat May 19, 2012 8:09 am

Thanks, Sarahkay and Liz - yes, this is it! but it is a fine line to be able to be strict with yourself but not too strict so that part of you starts to rebel against your own rules!

I decided to introduce a mod for myself this week. You know I've been struggling with Friday evenings - that's pizza night in our house and I make the dough in the afternoon and then we bake them one by one together as a family. It's a really nice evening and as each pizza comes out, we each have a piece or two.

So I decided to have my S-day start at 4 pm on Friday and go til 4 pm on Sunday. I think this is going to help me a lot. I really enjoyed pizza evening with my family last night and even had a small bowl of ice cream with the boys for dessert! And I woke up this morning feeling happy with things and just had my normal one plate breakfast (whereas the previous six weeks Saturday mornings have been much wilder). I really feel hopeful that this is actually going to help me tame my weekends down by allowing myself to enjoy Friday night pizza night with my family, instead of feeling stressed out or bummed that I had a fail, and then getting into what the hell mode for two days. I'll keep you posted on how it works out!

Hope everyone has a good weekend!

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Sat May 19, 2012 12:58 pm

Thanks for all your support over in my court, Amy! You are stellar!

I think your mod is great. I think Friday night with family is totally different now with kids. When something SETS YOU APART (not eating with your family), it will backfire. Friday to Saturday afternoon is perfect. Whatever works for you!

Those pizza sound fantastic and I think your family is so blessed to get such homemade goodness!

Take a breather and enjoy your S weekend! xo
Liz

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat May 19, 2012 7:34 pm

Been out of town and am finally having time to check posts here.

I don't know if I am kidding myself by keeping with No S after over 2 years and still having trouble on S days, but I have to report that after reading a book on a program for bulimics (not me) and bingers (me), I feel even better. The authors say that food can be very challenging and even those who can be considered to be recovered can continue to have small relapses and trouble with thoughts of food and overeating. Continuing to regard themselves as uncured when they actually have their habits managed most of the time can contribute to more failure.

So, maybe I sound like I'm going back on my claim that eating disorders can be overcome, but I don't think I am. Overcome has come to mean something different for me. It is probably too much to expect that I will never have a thought to overeat again, esp. when I have actually not used all the resources at my disposal. And it doesn't matter at this point. I'm way better than I was, I'm less prone to food cues than even most of my peers, even some thin ones, and I'm seeing more tactics to use rather than feeling at the end of my rope. That's almost as good a place to be as "completely cured" which is mostly just a mental picture anyway.

If you make even one decision to not eat when you know you won't feel better for doing it this weekend, consider that a good step.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Sat May 19, 2012 10:17 pm

Great post, oolala. I concur completely. I would like to think it will just get easier for me and often not in my life, but will have to be hyper-aware of my triggers. I like how looking back to last year, 5 years ago, 10 years ago, if you are better off, that is considered the right road.

In this book I love, "Goodbye Ed, Hello Me" (Jenni Schaefer) given to me by my therapist a long time ago, she says you CAN recover and that it DOES hurt to think you always have an eating disorder.
I think it has hurt me. A scarlet letter I wear proudly and thinking I cannot be like others.

I have mentioned this before with some of you, but she refers to her eating disorder as ED and his power in her life.
She says, "I can also see that defining myself in terms of my illness was a self-fulfilling prophecy. As long as I believed ED was waiting around every corner to get me, guess what? He was waiting around every corner to get me."

Having faith to make food issues out of my life is really empowering to me.
I will be realistic in saying that I won't be more sensitive than others around food, but it doesn't help me to think I'm a special case and "broken".

I think I feared saying I could fully recover because I thought, "but what if I relapse?". Well, I'm not saying I never will. I will have millions of episodes in the future, but they will be just part of my life. Hiccups. But I just feel so STUCK if I think I always have "eating problems."
Okay sorry to hijack your board. Just on one today, I guess!
Liz

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Sun May 20, 2012 6:40 am

Hi Oolala and Liz - this is an interesting discussion and one I have thought of a lot in the past years...

At a certain point it was helpful to me to realize and accept that I had an eating disorder - I think it was confrontational and made me take myself seriously and really work on healing.

But after a while I realized I was defining myself in a certain way that was holding me back (like having an eating disorder was something fixed like having brown hair or freckles)...so I started thinking more in terms of some of my eating behaviors being disordered. This made me feel more in control because behaviors I can work on and change.

I think there is a wide spectrum of eating disorders and disordered food behavior and the healthiest thing we can do is not beat ourselves up too much about where we are on the spectrum at any one time, but just focus on moving, slowly but surely, to a healthier spot down the line... For me that is what overcoming the eating disorder means - continuous improvement over time. And that can definitely happen!

And I really feel like this is definitely happening for me at the moment...for the first time since starting No-s I had a really reasonable Saturday! A one-plate breakfast and lunch, an orange as a snack in the afternoon because that was what I really felt like eating, a big dinner with seconds, and then a small bowl of ice cream for dessert.

Now it's Sunday morning, I had a one plate breakfast like I normally do during the week, and I can't imagine why the rest of the day won't actually end up being just like an N day from now until 4 pm. I feel very relaxed about things and I haven't felt that way for a long time... Of course I'll be sure to let you know how Sunday actually does turn out :wink:

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Sun May 20, 2012 1:25 pm

What a breakthrough, Amy! Sounds like such a reasonable Saturday!
Yes I really think it is realistic to think of oneself with disordered behaviors, for sure. It makes it something you DO, not who you ARE!
Good luck today. Enjoy!
Liz

sarahkay

Post by sarahkay » Sun May 20, 2012 2:36 pm

That is great!

You have been doing No S a little longer than me, and I was wondering about S days. I am afraid of messing up the progress I made during the week, both in terms of building habit and also in weight loss.

How do you allow yourself some "fun" but still not go overboard? What goes on in your head when you are tempted to binge or just pig out a little?

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Mon May 21, 2012 6:18 am

Thanks Sarah and Liz!

When I first started No-S my S days were crazy, I would buy stuff I hadn't eaten in years just because all of a sudden, I could. I got more than a few strange looks from my husband! It was fun but also scary - but I kept reading the boards here and everyone was saying that at the beginning we shouldn't worry about the S-days until we got the N-day habit down solid, and then the S days would start taking care of themselves. So I just put my trust in that and tried not to worry about the S days too much.

And yes, it seems that they are calming down. I had a good Sunday - a one plate normal breakfast, a banana when I came back from the gym because my husband was in charge of lunch (he is slow so I knew I would be more comfortable with the banana to tide me over), a hearty lunch with a very small second helping of falafel, a small piece of dark chocolate with my coffee, and then at 4 pm I realized my S day was over (since I started Friday at 4) and that dinner would have to be a simple one plate meal. I felt a little twinge of sadness that it was over, but I buckled down and had my meal, enjoyed it and was fine. We ate really early (5 pm) and later when I was in bed, I felt uncomfortably hungry, so I came down and had a glass of soy milk, which did the trick.

Sarah, you asked about what goes on in my head when a binge moment is coming up - hard question! Usually when I am feeling bingey, it is because I am anxious, nervous, really tired, frustrated...I'm not sure what the actual thoughts are, although I often am in the mindset of "what the hell, this is too hard, it doesn't matter, I don't care" - all thoughts that I regret a lot afterwards.

My thinking must be changing - but I'm not sure exactly how - good idea to pay attention to it - if I find anything interesting I'll let you know!

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Mon May 21, 2012 11:37 am

Hey Amy!

Great job on accepting the end of your S weekend at 4pm. Wow, I'm not sure I've developed that kind of willpower yet. Very proud of you. Excellent behaviour for me to emulate. I often eat early, and know what you mean at occasionally feeling that uncomfortable hunger. My problem is if I go downstairs, a glass of soy milk often turns to something else as I fall into the "who cares" mode.

As you described the feelings that accompany your binges - that is me exactly. Need to work on it.

I think you are doing great! Keep it up, awesome inspiration :)

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Mon May 21, 2012 1:20 pm

It is interesting how you describe the changes in your belief system and how you think through things differently. They say that changing your belief system is necessary if you want to change your behavior.

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Mon May 21, 2012 2:07 pm

Hooray Amy!
I'm so proud of you. You are an inspiration to me! I love that you let go and trusted in your N days to get your S days down.
I think of when I've been happiest on NO-S, and that is when!
I'm going N compliant because, really, every day has seemed like an "S" lately and that's no good.
Thanks for sharing your good news. Keep us posted as it helps everyone!!
:D
Liz

milliem

Post by milliem » Mon May 21, 2012 6:06 pm

Sounds like you had a great weekend, well done!

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Tue May 22, 2012 6:21 am

Thanks for all the positive feedback! There is a weight loss podcast I've been listening to since last fall (http://personallifemedia.com/podcasts/2 ... eight-loss) and one of the things she really emphasizes is the importance of having a buddy or a support network. Yesterday I was listening to her and realized that I have found what she is talking about right here on the No S boards! You guys are awesome!

Yesterday went well until my husband coming home at about 9 pm and I found myself mindlessly nibbling while I kept him company at the table - oops! :oops: It wasn't terrible or over the top, but I still have to call it a fail. Mark it and move on.

Unfortunately he gets home most nights much later than I eat with the kids, and I know that generally, for me, once dinner is over, I need to stay out of the kitchen. And this is exactly why! Live and learn, over and over again if necessary... :wink:

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Tue May 22, 2012 6:25 am

that is so hard, amy. when they come home and you wanna chat/nibble.
live and learn! next time say, "i can catch up with you AFTER dinner!".
:)
take care.
Liz

sarahkay

Post by sarahkay » Wed May 23, 2012 2:06 am

Thanks for the insight!

I feel like my thinking is changing too. I notice I have thoughts I didn't before like, "but I don't want to be too full" or "i want to be proud of succeeding mroe than I want that cookie". I NEVER thought things like that before!

And yes it is very hard not to nibble with other people at the table!!

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Wed May 23, 2012 8:51 am

Yesterday was good, despite some tricky moments...I went into Brussels to meet a good friend of mine for lunch. We wanted to try a new Ethiopian restaurant and the hilarious thing is, Ethiopian food is served on one HUGE plate - you take little portions of it with a sort of flatbread. We had a vegetarian platter for 2 and it was delicious, and I was so relaxed because of it all being on one plate! :wink:

Often when I've been out for the day, my evening eating can be kind of erratic, I guess because I am out of my schedule and my mind is "fizzy" (does anyone know what I mean?). But I am happy with how I did, even though I felt a bit bingey I didn't cave into it. I had a few moments after dinner where I really did want to go and get something to munch on but I stayed out of the kitchen, and just kept it to a glass of wine. Phew!

Lots of appointments and plans this week so there will be several days like this - hope I can hold it together til Friday.

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Wed May 23, 2012 3:18 pm

You CAN hold it together! You just got threw an erratic day and did swell!
That Ethiopian food sounds tasty! NEver tried it.

Good for you for staying out of the kitchen. I think having something to sip on helps a lot, no?

You're doing awesome! :)
Liz

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Wed May 23, 2012 7:50 pm

Felt like I was on the verge of failing all day today but I pulled through with just three plates (the last one of the day was kinda big) and some white wine (it's unseasonably hot here right now).

This week is crazy busy and I am just one day away from Friday - which I have already planned will be a full S day instead of Saturday because I will be going to a cooking class during the day on Friday - plus it's pizza night!

My one big goal is to get thru tomorrow with green... :wink:

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Wed May 23, 2012 11:44 pm

Amy I am in the exact same position in regards to hubby getting home later! I, too, must stay out of the kitchen after dinner. It is such a struggle to not want to eat by that time since its been hours since dinner and he is eating yummy food. It usually makes me grumpy!

Anyways, great job today! :)

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Thu May 24, 2012 6:39 am

Thanks, Sinnie - I know, it is really hard sometimes. For me it works best if I feed myself and the kids and get the entire kitchen cleaned up, leaving a plate for my husband, and then get the heck out of there!

Today - Thursday - my goal is green...

milliem

Post by milliem » Thu May 24, 2012 6:51 am

Ah the days when you think you probably could fail but then don't are just the best!! Shows that even when hunger strikes or routine is messed up or something stressful happens, it IS possible to stick with NoS :)

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Thu May 24, 2012 6:58 am

I totally agree, Millie! Those are the definitely our proudest days - and I think, the days we make the most progress on permanently banishing diet head from our minds...

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Thu May 24, 2012 9:38 am

Hi there...read some of your thread here and totally agree that "goal is sanity with food" which means diet head be gone!!

For me yesterday it started to creep in while I was eating dinner...trying to count calories in my head...had to stop myself and say it doesn't matter..I don't do that anymore... :)

Can't believe how our culture has changed over the years and why "all for the love of money"...so lets snack our citizen's to death. I bet a lot of those executives are thin and don't eat their own products :)

Have a great day!!!
Age 56: SBMI=30.6 (12/1/13) CBMI 28.9 (2/2/14) GBMI-24.8

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Thu May 24, 2012 2:37 pm

way to go, Amy!
You're right about your proudest moments being when you surpassed the desire to fail and moved along. It instills so much confidence and "tools" for next time!
Husbands and food. SO hard. Mine always gets home later, too.
It helps for the separate plate thing already set aside.
My problem is he usually walks in with a pint of ice cream. Yes, he has a major sweet tooth.
He normally doesn't break to eat all day in surgery, so comes home and "binges". BUt of course in his mind it's just a big meal. :)
It's all relative!
Good luck today. You can nail this Thursday! Think how you did it yesterday!
XO :D
Liz

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Fri May 25, 2012 6:16 am

Thanks NoSnacker and Liz for your thoughts and encouragement!

Yesterday was solid green. But only by the skin of my teeth! :wink: I had a lecture in the evening and when I got home at 10:30 I was still too wired to go to bed, so I had a glass of wine, read the newspaper and was really fighting myself not to munch on something. Even after I had brushed my teeth and gone to bed I kept thinking about eating something!

I think the only thing that saved me was knowing today was going to be an S day and in a few short hours I would be able to have what I wanted -LOL! Waking up this morning I was sure glad I hadn't given in - and then I had a pretty normal breakfast anyhow.

Today I have a cooking class and then it's pizza night here in our house (hence the S day) and then I am making Saturday an N day to compensate. I've had 6 fails already this month and my goal was to do better than last month (7 fails) so the rest of my N days need to be green - and there are 5 of them left this month. Fingers crossed!

Have a great day!

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Fri May 25, 2012 8:42 am

I think that if one sticks to straight vanilla on their claimed N days to fit ones lifestyle I think that person has a better chance to succeed then one that has to feel trapped/deprived to share such a weekly event with their family.

So glad to hear you made it...I'm finding that writing down some stuff from the Beck Solutions diet and the No S book on 3x5 cards helps cement things in my head so when the next URGE comes I refer to them. Mostly I read them twice a day.

And I do at times say "tomorrow is my S day" and that has saved me a lot.

One of my cards says "NO CHOICE", when we just know we can't then eventually the want learns to take the back seat. Or "NO WAY", whatever you chose.

After all, our overeating started in our head, and can only end in our head.

Hope you enjoy your pizza and S day..
deb

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Fri May 25, 2012 1:48 pm

Wow great work, Amy on fighting the urge. It's so funny that even when we know how much better we'll feel in the morning if we fight the urge, we still let it get to us!
Congrats and I bet you feel a million times better today!
I'm excited about your fun S day ahead. Cooking class, pizza night, how lucky!
ENJOY! You deserve it.
Oh, and Deb I love what you said about the cards and sayings. I may have to pick up that book, but could probably write my fave sayings on cards regardless.
"Our overeating started in our head, and can only end in our head."
LOVE THAT and it's so easy to forget. It's mainly psychological!
Liz

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Wed May 30, 2012 9:44 am

Well, I've had some ups and downs this past long weekend, it's been extremely busy, and it has taken me til today to get myself back on track (and back on the message boards!)

I'm not going to worry about what's past, I'm just going to move forward and make the best of where I am right now.

That said, I do feel the need for a bit more structure and I have been really thinking hard about moving to one floating S-day per week (which I have a feeling will be either all of Friday; or Friday evening til Saturday evening) - or another way of looking at it is three meals per week (a breakfast, a lunch and a dinner) where I can have seconds or a dessert. Does this make sense to anyone or am I making it too complicated for myself??? I just feel two whole days (or six meals) has been a bit too much for me. And while it has been great the past two months getting the habits down, I feel that the wildness of entire S days is just too disruptive for me at the moment.
I need to reign it in a bit.

Anyway, hope you all have been doing well - hoping to catch up on your threads in the next couple days (things have just been swamped here)! :D

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Wed May 30, 2012 2:27 pm

Hi, AMY!
I'm sorry about the last few days. I relate completely. Coming out of the food fog Monday myself.
I just committed to Vanilla NO S, no exceptions, and am allowing myself ONE NICE DESSERT this weekend on both S days WITH OTHERS. I NEED STRICTNESS. (BTW: listen to that podcast, it's brilliant)

I simply hate the open day of wildness on an S. I can't control myself.
It sounds like the floating S day may be good, but don't put too many restrictions on yourself.

Find what works for you, but have you had successful N days for awhile, and just crazy S days? Or are your N days crazy too?

Take care girl and hope things settle down soon!
Liz

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Wed May 30, 2012 3:31 pm

I LOVE your idea of ONE breakfast, ONE lunch, and ONE dinner S event per week. I might be stealing this one.......

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Thu May 31, 2012 9:44 am

I know S days gone wild has caused a lot of people to leave No S to only come back like I did. My S days are still so out of whack and I'm always looking for ways to fix them. I resolved to the fact that I will binge if I don't have structure and eat what, whenever...always starts off as only one of something.

I regret giving up the first time around, as I came back about 15lbs heavier, so for now we need to stay the course.

I hate the whole binge eating behavior, I'm so tired of dealing with it. But I have no choice, I could leave and get fatter or stay and hope to lose weight over time, but more importantly lose the binge eating habit.

Have a great Thursday!
Last edited by NoSnacker on Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu May 31, 2012 10:30 pm

Why do you say the S day will be floating? I usually think of that meaning you will change the day each week, which would not be habit friendly.

Don't forget the 4th S: except SOMETIMES on S days. YOu can make your one meal that you were talking about your "sometimes," IF you feel absolutely ready. Being ready doesn't mean being sick of overeating. BEing ready means you don't feel much of a twinge or any resistance to the idea of modifying your S days. If it truly sounds like a relief, go for it, but if you're just wishing it did, you may consider giving it another month.

Personally, though this is not Reinhard's way of thinking of it at all, I think it would be really good to think ahead of time not only what eating modification you might want but what else you will do with your time when you don't have permission to free eat? I read for bingers in early stages, it's recommended that they plan a task or activity to do right after they finish a meal so the meal has a cutoff point in time as well as amount. I know for me it's the free-for-all in time as much as the availability of food that has been challenging for me.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:21 am

Thanks for the thoughtful comments! I guess I used the word floating to indicate flexibility on what day to have my S meals. For example, today I have a lunch out, and tomorrow night I have a dinner out. So there is an S lunch and and S dinner (which means I am going to have to be very conscious about a one-plate pizza night tonight, or have a reasonable one-plate dinner tomorrow, which is a possibility at the restaurant we are going to).
That leaves me with a breakfast, which I will most likely take on Sunday. And then I am done, and I'm hoping this will enable me to avoid the wild snacking that has been going on for the past two months on most of my S days...yes, it does feel like a relief to me at this moment. This is most definitely an experiment, though, so I will see how it goes!

As for the month of May, I ended up losing another 3+ pounds, which means I've lost nearly 7 pounds after two months of No S. That might seem like not very much (or even statistically significant!) but it makes me feel like I am moving in the direction I want to go, and that even with the wild S days and all the fails I had, that this is working.

I do know it is a very fine line between being too permissive and too restrictive - both of which always end up backfiring in the end, and I feel like I have really been able to use No S to explore that line and find out where I feel best on it. I haven't felt this much peace about food and eating behaviors in a long time.

Have a great Friday, everyone!

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:21 am

Hi Amy, thanks for stopping by. So how will you track your S events? Do you have a calendar?

I need structure on my S days as we all well know weekends are hard to handle emotionally when we binge.

I feel like a pressure valve is being opened and pressure being released on the weekend, but then I feel like crap that I did binge. I can binge on any kind of food really, doesn't have to be a sweet, food in general and what is easily accessible.

But I'm not giving up...

I like what Oolala said that she read, after each meal get up and do a task, I might try that this weekend..even if going for a walk around the block, or doing a load of laundry..etc.

We'll see.

Have a great Friday!

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:57 pm

7 pounds!?
That IS an accomplishment! Relish in it and all your hard work...running and eating well.
You said it well...the fine line between permissive and restrictive but it sounds like you are finding YOUR line.
I love the thought that you "haven't felt this much peace about food and eating behaviors in a long time."
Oh that makes me happy. This little bug doesn't deserve a place in our life!
Have a good weekend!
xo
Liz

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:27 am

Thanks, girls! Yes, I was thinking of how I would "mark" that I had taken my S meals for the week...definitely necessary I think to be able to keep track of it some how...because our mind can sometimes "conveniently" forget things, can't it? :wink:

Had a gorgeous lunch at the vegetarian buffet in Brussels with my friend. I had one small plate from the salad buffet and then a delicious plate from the warm buffet. One dessert is included in the meal, so I did enjoy my dessert (we both took a different one and split them so we could try two).

Then came home at 5 and had to get the pizzas going for the kids (I made my dough in the morning and let it rise in the fridge all day)...I ended up being free and easy with the pizza meal even though I was still pretty full with the food from lunch. I didn't eat a lot of pizza but also didn't do any virtual plating or worry about it - so I am considering that as my S dinner for the week. Which means one plate at the restaurant this evening but it should be fine as they do a plate of the day.

It's kind of a relief to know that the weekend is not going to be any different from a regular day during the week...I do have an S breakfast to enjoy - that will be tomorrow morning - and then I am done.

I am really glad I did the two months of vanilla - and perhaps I am modifying too soon, but time will certainly tell! Like I said, this is an experiment to see if it works for me...I'll keep you posted.

milliem

Post by milliem » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:30 am

7lb is an amazing loss for 2 months, well done!!

Good luck experimenting with S days, let us know how it's going :)

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:16 am

Hey there! Well, I can report that my first S day modification experiment was a moderate success :wink:

So the idea was that Saturday was going to be like a regular N day...my one plate breakfast, lunch and dinner went well. We were out at a a vegetarian restaurant in a town 40 minutes away from our town because we were going to a play there later in the evening. So it felt quite special and unique to be there (not someplace we would go more than once a year or so). We had plenty of time after our "plate of the day" before we had to walk over to the theater, and the waitress brought the dessert menu - and I caved for a slice of plum tart with my coffee - it was so good! And then later when we came home late at night after the performance, I had a handful of chips and a piece of chocolate from snacks the kids had left out in the kitchen and then I told myself to go to bed before things got even more out of hand!

So when I woke up this morning, I felt kind of bad about failing, but then I thought, well, even if it wasn't exactly like I planned, it was still a much better Saturday in general when I compare it to the past 2 months of Saturdays. So I just had my S day breakfast this morning (I did briefly consider not having it as a "compensation" for last night but decided that might actually be counterproductive and cause some backlash behavior if you know what I mean :wink: ), and now I am done for the weekend and am planning to have an N day for the rest of the day, which should be fine because all meals will be at home :lol:

Hope you all have a good Sunday!

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:52 pm

Well, Amy, I think "big picture" is a good perspective to keep at your point...
a) you're losing weight
b) you're ENJOYING WONDERFUL food WITH people
c) you exercise like crazy!
d) you're not bingeing
e) you're finding what works for you

Sounds like a delightful weekend and a plum tart! Yum!

Have a good rest of the day and take care of yourself.

(BTW: glad you relate to the sisters/family anxiety...we can do it. we don't have to "cave" to how the majority eats just to blend...plus, No-S is the most "normal" out there!).
xo
Liz

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:56 am

Monday morning is always such a relief - on so many levels! :wink:

Yesterday went reasonably well, made Indian food for lunch and had one large delicious plate. The hardest part was some nagging desire to eat in the afternoon (we were watching Belgian hopeful David Goffin give Roger Federer a surprising run for his money in the French open - sitting too long in front of the TV is ALWAYS slightly dangerous); but I made a cup of tea instead and pulled through without caving. Had our dinner afterwards (one plate but bigger than I would have liked) and shut down the kitchen. Went and took a long hot bath...

So glad it's Monday - Liz, I've actually been very lax lately on my running so the plan is to get to the gym this morning and get back into a good routine. I do miss it! And thanks so much for your encouraging words - it is so important to focus on the positives and it really helps when someone else can point them out! :D

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:07 pm

Props to pulling through the afternoon with just the cup of tea!
And sticking one plate!

I love taking a hot bath to relax, too.

You're right about it being Monday. Who would think Mondays could be such a relief?

Take care today!
Liz

BeingGreen

Post by BeingGreen » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:17 pm

Thanks for stopping by my thread Amy! It's so nice to be here together with people on this journey. It makes me feel so much less alone in my challenges.
Have a great week!

harmony

Post by harmony » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:18 am

Amy,

Tea has come in handy for me many times. I think I like having something that gives me that hand to mouth motion. Who knows...lol. I am looking forward to feeling Mondays as a relief.

Thanks for your support. :)

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:40 am

Liz, Brianna, Harmony - thanks for stopping by! Yes, the support of people on this board is to a huge extent what makes No S work for me, and for a lot of people here. It's awesome and I have learned so much.

One of the big things I learned was not to beat myself up so much over mistakes - on so many other diet programs I would make one mistake and I would be done, never to return again, feeling like such a failure. Here, I have learned to mark it and move on, even though I still do feel bummed about it. Like yesterday. I was so glad it was Monday, I was feeling positive and in control of things, went to the gym...then my youngest came home from school sick and I started feeling stressed, worried, nervous...my three biggest triggers. *sigh*

I had a big dinner with my older two kids (pasta, so filling, right?), hoping I would still be able to hold things together ...but even though I was full I caved for a big soft cookie, purely from being worried and nervous and wanting to squash those feelings down, and then felt bad about it, briefly considered eating more but knew that would only make me feel worse...thought about the board here and the habitcal and knew even though I would have to mark a red, I didn't want it to be terrible...

Luckily my sister called me and I was able to get out of the kitchen and change gears...and so it ended up being a not very terrible fail, but a fail nonetheless.

My son is staying home from school today and I think he will be fine, just a tummy bug, thank goodness. It's just that I've never done well with my kids being sick, I get so anxious about it! So I am going to get a run in while my husband is still at home this morning and then spend the rest of the day at home with my son. I'll try to keep busy and out of the cookie jar... :wink:

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:52 am

Amy3010 wrote:One of the big things I learned was not to beat myself up so much over mistakes - on so many other diet programs I would make one mistake and I would be done, never to return again, feeling like such a failure. Here, I have learned to mark it and move on, even though I still do feel bummed about it. Like yesterday. I was so glad it was Monday, I was feeling positive and in control of things, went to the gym...then my youngest came home from school sick and I started feeling stressed, worried, nervous...my three biggest triggers. *sigh*

..thought about the board here and the habitcal and knew even though I would have to mark a red, I didn't want it to be terrible...

Luckily my sister called me and I was able to get out of the kitchen and change gears...and so it ended up being a not very terrible fail, but a fail nonetheless.
This is so great Amy you stopped and you didn't beat yourself up..I needed to read this as I had a red yesterday, but unlike you I had the "what the hell" effect going on.

But you inspired me here..so marked it and am now moving on.

Tad bit sore today from my fall, but soooo happy didn't break anything....icing my back as I sit here on No S before work :)

Have a successful day! Each success counts :)

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:04 pm

Good luck, Amy. Sorry about the bugs going around. I understand kids being sick and the anxious feelings it causes. Hope they get better soon!

Glad you at least got a run in to stress relief.
Think of that green on the habitcal, girl! Stick with it! Cheering for ya.
xo
Liz

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:51 am

Ai yi yi - yesterday FAIL and today FAIL! :oops: Not even going to go into all the reasons (excuses)...just going to mark it and move on. And try to get my mind back on track for the rest of the week.

On a positive note, I have been getting my exercise AND sticking to my no wine on N days...go figure...

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:14 pm

I LOVE your attitude. Mark it and move on! I have not been able to get my act together lately, but I am hanging in there.....try, try, try!

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:38 pm

I also love your attitude about moving on. You are an inspiration! I love that you see what you DID do well, as well. I need to do that more. It's so easy to see the negative!
Hope today is better...for the both of us!
xo

jollygood

Post by jollygood » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:17 pm

Amy, I admire you so much for staying committed to NoS while raising your children. My adult children are going through the same thing I did, trying to stay slim while having "kid foods" in the house all the time!
I think it takes extra time and will power to stay on track when raising a family!
I love NoS! My grandmother is watching me!
Ht. 5'4" SW 5/22/12 180 lbs.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:14 am

Thanks so much for your supportive words. I am having a hard time at the moment and it helps so much to come here and feel lifted up, instead of beat down.

Yesterday was a total wash but today I am committed to staying on the path, one step at a time.

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:20 am

Hi Amy, I had a couple of struggles yesterday but finally after 2 reds I was okay....struggles there of course, candy called my name as well as negative talk buzzing in my head.

I posted on my tread that if it weren't for the encouragement from all of you, I do believe I would just drop out. Dropping out shouldn't be an option. An encouraging word when one is struggling can make all the difference..

Or should I say voices of reason :)

Hang in there...one green will lead to another and another...

As you say mark it and move on..that has helped over the last couple of days.

Let's hope for a great day food wise and life wise!!

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:02 am

So true, Deb! Yes, let's have a good one today! :D

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:19 pm

GOOOO Amy! I hope you're feeling a bit better today and picking yourself up.
xo

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:23 pm

LOL! thanks Liz, just came by here quickly before the kids come home from school - to be inspired - and this cheers me up! YES! Am picking myself up and SMILING right now! :D

BeingGreen

Post by BeingGreen » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:07 am

Hi Amy,
I saw on the June Challenge post that you've had a few bad days in a row. I hope today was a better day. Keep calm and carry on :)

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:21 am

Aw, thanks Brianna! That's really thoughtful of you! I really did have a better day yesterday - although I still technically have to call it red, things went a lot better for me and I am happy. And determined to keep going, keep on plugging along this path of moderation and good habit building.

Goal today is green til 5 pm (then it's pizza night and my S day starts). Have a great day, everyone!

harmony

Post by harmony » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:12 pm

I hope you have a calm, habit-filled day, and an enjoyable weekend!

mimi

Post by mimi » Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:16 pm

Yay, Amy! You go girl!

Mimi :D
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:46 am

Thanks for your support! I've been crazy busy the last few days but I have good things to report - actually thanks to all the other stuff I've had on my plate, my eating has been spot on :mrgreen: !

Saturday was a very very moderate S day - I had three very small meals and my one treat was sharing some potato chips with my youngest son while we watched the women's French open tennis final.

Sunday was a completely green day - I just had too many other things going on to even really think about food - just my three small meals to refuel myself and that was it.

Yesterday was pretty much the same. Wow. Such a good feeling. I hope I can hang on to this when things calm down, which they should in a day or two.

Hope you all are doing well too! :D

tobiasmom

Hey

Post by tobiasmom » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:50 pm

I just wanted to come thank you for being such an encouraging person!! You are a gem....I mean that!

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:56 pm

Amy thanks for all your support on my thread ALL the time! You truly are a sincere soul.

I'm so proud of you! Eating to live, not living to eat! You truly are making dents into great habits that yes, when things settle down, your habit will keep you.

Hold onto that good feeling! Get "addicted" to it! And you'll never wanna stray!
xo
Liz

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:17 pm

Wow - thank you - that seriously makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside! Please know that the support I have gotten here from all of you kind souls has meant the world to me; that even while going thru stress in "real life" situations, taking a bit of time out of my days here for the past 10 weeks has replenished me and lifted me up in amazing ways, and it feels really good to know I can do the same for others.

I actually just spent the afternoon consoling a friend who is going through a difficult time right now, and after she left I popped in here - and in an instant went from feeling incredibly drained to all pumped up again, just from your kind words. :D

Amazing, isn't it - the power of words? Hope you all continue to have a really good day!

rungirl96

Post by rungirl96 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:30 pm

Thanks for stopping by my thread. I can't wait to read the McGonigle book. Sounds like you are doing great! I'm looking forward to having a "green" S day, but not going to put too much pressure on myself. It'll happen.

MJ7910

Post by MJ7910 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:18 pm

Hi Amy, thanks for the encouragement yesterday. It was interesting reading the last few pages about what you have been going through with family and how disordered eating has been a part of your life. I hope you have a great week despite some stress.
Current BMI: 22.9. Height: 5'4.5"
Highest BMI: 25.5 in August 2011.
Lowest adult BMI: 20.8 in February 2012.

harmony

Post by harmony » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:50 am

Thought I would quick drop in and say 'yay' to you! Nice recovery! :D

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:14 am

Thanks for stopping by! Yesterday turned out GREEN, I am happy about that, it feels like a long time since I had three days in a row. I think what is making me even more happy is my current feeling towards all of this, that it seems easier or I am less preoccupied with it or something...could it be that some habits are becoming ingrained???

I hope you all have a wonderful Wednesday!

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:17 pm

Congrats on a good job Amy! The habits do become ingrained, and it looks like you are well on your way. I still have to guard against returning to old habits and will probably have to do that for years. Old habits die hard. However, it gets easier all the time.
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

MJ7910

Post by MJ7910 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:29 pm

so glad it turned out green! good luck today, you will do great

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:00 pm

You are my role-model. Getting there, I promise! I actually HAVE been where you are now, with many a greens under my belt a couple years ago and I had never felt better in life. Really.
My thoughts of food were minimal and I felt really good physically.
Eye on the prize!
Thanks for all your encouragement. Keep this up. You are an inspiration to many of us!
:D
Liz

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:59 pm

I think what I am learning from all of you, and this is where I think reading the threads here is REALLY valuable, is that ups and downs with this are inevitable, just like in real life - that is, we can be sailing along doing really well and then we will have a period where things will be harder... and it's all so normal. Whereas if we didn't know this from learning about it here, we might think it was our fault and we failed, and then we would give up, only to revert back to the same old habits that caused us to need No-S in the first place.

So when I am having a good week, I know a hard week might be just around the corner. But at the same time, I know if I am having a tough week, that if I hang in there, a good week is also right around the corner.

Basically - it's all good. Right?

BeingGreen

Post by BeingGreen » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:34 pm

You pretty much summed it up Amy :D I guess we all hope we end up with more good weeks than bad weeks on the road to mostly peaceful weeks!

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:44 am

Thanks, Brianna. Sometimes life feels like the biggest roller coaster! We did have great news this morning - my son got a summer job! I am so happy and excited for him. It was really making me anxious, waiting to hear after he'd had his interview...and they called early this morning to say he got it!

The funny thing was, there was a part of me that immediately felt this impulse to "celebrate eat" - and have a big indulgent breakfast - I think this feeling goes along with stress eating for negative reasons... I am learning that I probably used food to deal with all kinds of strong feelings, not just negative ones.

I think I mentioned on another thread somewhere that I am following a mindfulness training which is really helping me to be more aware of what's going on inside instead of overriding it...so I guess I just got some awareness of the feeling I was having (fizzy and excited) and this kind of stopped me... So I had a normal breakfast after all. :wink:

Have a great day, everyone!

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:52 am

Celebration eating is more of a problem for me than stress eating. Both are emotionally based, and both can be a problem; however, I tend to eat less during stress and then celebrate eat when the stress is alleviated.
Maintenance is progress.

Jennifer24747

Post by Jennifer24747 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:11 pm

I always want to eat when I'm celebrating!! I'm not a big stress eater; if I'm stressed or really upset, I don't eat...which I think can be just as much of a problem. But something good happens? Bring on the wine and the desserts!

I think mindfulness is really important. It helps you realize a lot about yourself, many of which are not about food. It's tough, though, and every now and then I have this voice that goes, "Screw your rationalizations, I want a cupcake!"
Discovered NoS April 25, 2012!
SW: 157
CW: 156
GW: 140-145

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:39 am

Thursday was green! :mrgreen:

I did have two glasses of wine in the evening, however. Tonight is pizza night, so if all goes well, I will either start my S day after 5 pm OR if things are like last week, I will keep it green all day. We shall see.

Off to the gym!

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:33 am

Hi Amy, thanks for the link to the podcasts, I'll surely check it out...so for this a.m. saved to my fav's. :)

I was able to be green yesterday...in part cause I really feel like crap afterwards...it is not worth it..so I have to find a way between developing habit and changing how I think.

I guess I was having one of those bad weeks :)

Have a great Friday!

MJ7910

Post by MJ7910 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:26 pm

I hope you have a great day today. Pizza is one of those things that i love, but i've actually done ok with now. the only one that still gets me is sugar and chocolate. i seem to have the hardest time moderating those. it's like one taste and it's all downhill. but i'm learning slowly. anyway hope your experience is great today!

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:17 pm

You go girl! Thanks for your encouragement all around!
And for the recommendation for those podcasts on someone else's thread. I will listen today at the gym!
GOod luck today. Pizza is tough for me. I have a hard time feeling fulfilled with a little. But you have done it before and you can do it again!
Take care.
Liz

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:46 am

Hi there! Thanks for the encouraging words - :D

I ended up starting my S day yesterday afternoon (just in time for pizza night) - I really enjoyed dinner with my kids, two glasses of wine, but then afterwards I was really craving some chocolate so I had two pieces, and then the funniest thing - for some reason I was all of a sudden completely exhausted. I crashed. I was sitting with my youngest who was watching the European soccer championship game and I fell asleep - at 7:30 in the evening. What's up with that??? when my son started complaining I was snoring (!!!) I decided maybe I should just go to bed!

So I got a good night's sleep :wink: and today my intention is to just stick to the N day structure. No wine, because I had my two days already this week, and I'm not planning any specific treats, except for potato chips with dinner because we're doing burgers. But that will be with my meal and on one plate.

It's strange but I am starting to feel like, for me, the N day habits are becoming my normal framework...except for Friday evening when I loosen the reins for pizza night with the family. But then it just feels right on Saturday morning to get back into my framework again and have a normal breakfast...and once you've gotten the day off to a good start, why not continue that way?

Anyway, what I wish for all of us this weekend is peaceful moderation and true enjoyment of our special treats...Have a great one, you guys!

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:27 am

You are getting there! N days do become the norm eventually, and you learn to enjoy treats when appropriate ... just not all the time. Great isn't it?!
Maintenance is progress.

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:01 pm

THis is wonderful and awesome all in one! You are an inspiration.
I love that N days are becoming more the "norm" for you.
And the fact that you COULD fall asleep after just two chocolates means you were NOT compulsive and antsy (the way i get when I start with treats).
Take care today and enjoy those potato chips!
Thanks for all your encouragement EVERYWHERE! You are the best!
Liz

MJ7910

Post by MJ7910 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:58 am

that is awesome that you have reached the point where you can do treats with moderation. i am a work in progress and hope to be there soon. but for right now trying to get the structure of this down. i had a bit of a wild s day today but i just started this june 7 so hoping i will have it down soon. like you, i'm hoping i'll just have a normal structure going and allow for some indulgences on S days when they come up. right now i seek out indulgences and i probably dont' need to do that! but i think this being one of my first weeks with the program, it's ok. i will learn in time. but that is great you are making these steps

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:39 am

This is all about progression and I can definitely say that, even though it was scary, I put my faith in getting the habits down and not worrying about the S days at first (and I had some really wild ones at the beginning), based on what I read about other people's experiences here on the boards...

That said, I had a small fail yesterday evening, when my S day was officially over - I had a small piece of dark chocolate after dinner. I'm a bit annoyed with myself because I wasn't hungry at all (I just wanted it), but at the same time, I know two things for sure: first, I didn't let the WTH effect get the better of me (which I would most definitely done in the past) and second, this kind of a fail is so much more moderate than the fails I would have in the beginning. So I am pleased with this solid evidence that I am moving in a positive direction.

Now it's Monday, however, and I am determined to have another entire green week like last week! :wink:

Have a good day, everyone!

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:15 pm

I'm all about strictness and no, the dark chocolate didn't fit into your "timeframe", but man, Amy, the fact you could even HAVE a piece of dark chocolate. One piece. And be okay?
Wow I think you're learning moderation.
No-S has hard and fast rules for a reason. To keep us from going nuts on food.
But you acted like a "normal person" does around one piece of chocolate.
So good on ya.

Let's float in a sea of green this week! Looking forward to it. :)
Liz

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:26 am

Yesterday was green but it wasn't easy! I had that snacky feeling all day long (probably due to stress). I feel nervous today because I see the doctor this evening for something that has been worrying me for a while. I am hoping she will be able to reassure me, so I can stop worrying. But in my mind I keep going over all the worst case scenarios. In the meantime, I will be struggling with the impulse to eat to push down the nervous feelings.

Why oh why can't I be one of those people who can't eat a thing when they are nervous???

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:43 am

Hope everything goes okay for you!

mimi

Post by mimi » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:46 am

Amy3010 wrote:Yesterday was green but it wasn't easy! I had that snacky feeling all day long (probably due to stress). I feel nervous today because I see the doctor this evening for something that has been worrying me for a while. I am hoping she will be able to reassure me, so I can stop worrying. But in my mind I keep going over all the worst case scenarios. In the meantime, I will be struggling with the impulse to eat to push down the nervous feelings.

I hope all goes well when you see the doctor and you get the reassurance you're needing...good thoughts will be with you. My visit yesterday went very well. On the surface everything was fine, but results of my blood tests and pap test won't be back until later in the week. The one I'm concerned about the most would be the cholesterol screening - I've heard that cholesterol levels have a tendency to go up in women after menopause. We'll see.

Why oh why can't I be one of those people who can't eat a thing when they are nervous???

Because you're Amy...unique and one of a kind! And you're doing a great job handling your present stressful situation by not reacting as you would have in the past...just keep that foremost in mind!

(((hugs)))

Mimi

Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

Jennifer24747

Post by Jennifer24747 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:02 pm

Good luck, Amy! I hope all goes well.
Discovered NoS April 25, 2012!
SW: 157
CW: 156
GW: 140-145

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:29 pm

I'm sorry Amy. I felt the same way yesterday, but as you read, it was due to feeling not well. For some reason, I felt that the next food would "do it", ya know?
You're making amazing progress along the way.
Thanks for the podcasts suggestions. I've listened to a few of them and they are really helpful.
Take care today! Good luck at the doctor. :shock:
Liz

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:35 pm

Jean, Mimi, Jennifer and Liz, thanks for your good wishes.
It turns out my body has been trying to fight an infection and that's why I didn't feel well - I've started taking antibiotics and hopefully this will clear things up. If things don't clear up then I'll have to have further tests to rule out anything more serious. But right now I am thinking positive and focusing on getting some rest and taking good care of myself physically.

I may be taking a day or two off from the boards here, so I wish everyone the best and a few good green days in the meantime! :wink:

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:46 pm

Yes take lots of rest and "me time", or snuggling with your boys time (they are probably too old to want to do that!) :)
Wish you good health!
Liz

MJ7910

Post by MJ7910 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:53 pm

Good luck Amy! I hope everything turns out ok

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:09 pm

Hope you feel better. It is hard to take care of yourself when you are taking care of others.