Amy's Check In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Jennifer24747

Post by Jennifer24747 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:13 am

Take care of yourself, and hope to see you back soon (and well!)!
Discovered NoS April 25, 2012!
SW: 157
CW: 156
GW: 140-145

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:15 am

Thanks for the kind well wishes...I am feeling somewhat better but not yet 100%...there is a part of me that is scared there is something more serious going on but I am trying to have faith that things will work out in the end.

On a lighter note, the day I wrote my last post I suddenly realized that being sick counted as an S day ( :!: ), and so I have not been beating myself up at all about what I've been eating... I definitely gravitate towards comfort foods when I'm sick, and I've just been going with the flow. But somehow I feel like eating those kinds of foods have also contributed to making me feel yucky. So I am thinking to get back on the No-S wagon tomorrow or Monday and finish out the month in a good way.

I hope you all have been doing well - a few days away from here felt like ages! I'll be doing my best this weekend to try to catch up!

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:34 pm

Glad to see you back, Amy.
I'm sorry you haven't felt like yourself! Nothing worse.
Great work on "going with the flow", though!
xo
Liz

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:18 am

Each day is a little better and so I am starting to feel less worried. Thank goodness for antibiotics, right? I hardly ever have to take them, but when you need them, you need them. Unfortunately I've never been one of those lucky people who lose their appetite when they are sick. My eating has been all over the place since Tuesday, lots of comfort foods...like a whole string of wild S days in a row! But I refuse to give myself red for when I am sick. However, I definitely have some damage control I need to do.

My goal for the next week (including today) is solid green on all four of my habitcals: No-S, No Wine (that should be a no brainer because I can't have it anyway with the antibiotic I am taking), Daily exercise and Meditate 20 minutes.

Had a good one plate breakfast to start the day: 2 apricots, 1 kiwi, half a banana and 6 almonds + green tea.

I haven't been to my gym in over a week, so I think I will go today and just do a treadmill walk and an easy and short session on the elliptical. Nothing crazy.

Have a great Sunday!

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:03 am

It was hard to try to get back on track yesterday so I ended up just going with it as an S day...the kids had chips in the house to enjoy while watching the European soccer matches and they were calling my name and I caved! I went back to the gym for the first time since getting sick, which was good, but I really had to reduce the intensity of what I would normally do.

So...goal for the week - 5 green days and getting back into a normal routine.

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:31 am

I'm with you here Amy! Trying to have a good solid week of healthy eating.

Didn't know you were sick, glad to hear you are starting to feel better.

Like you, being sick never stops me from eating :) Nothing does really. Well once when I had the stomach flu when I was 8 months pregnant with my son but that was 30 years ago! And of course when I have to have a test done then I'm forced not to eat.

Have a great week....

I'm going to log my food on my daily for the week...

deb

carpediem

Post by carpediem » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:41 am

rJean, I do believe you're right that this diet is hardest for people who have trouble giving up sweets. For me that is definitely the toughest part! It's an every day struggle for sure. On one hand it helps me to get through the week knowing I can eat something sweet on the weekend; yet on the other hand I sometimes wonder if giving into these temptations during the weekend is keeping me from really developing a new mindset that does not include these cravings. Not sure what the answer is, but I do know that with other diets when I tried to give up sweets cold-turkey, it never worked. Eventually the temptation would become too great and I would fall off the wagon into a pool of chocolate!
I CAN IF I THINK I CAN!!

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:31 pm

Glad you're feeling a bit better, Amy. Thank heavens for antibiotics!
Good for you getting back into exercise.
I know it's hard especially with the kids home for summer in not caving to treats/snacks that they are having. I know I'm not completely "vanilla" but counting my success if I don't binge if I possibly have a bite of something, eat a sweet, etc. And end it there.
Take care, girl.
Liz

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:56 am

Well, the end of year school stress got to me and last week ended up all over the place - big fail for the end of the month. Weight-wise I am at the same place I was at the beginning of the month, which is certainly to be expected.

But the first day of a new month brings a clean slate, right? And how nice that July started with an S day - LOL! That sure made things easy!

We leave on Thursday for the States and my goal for the month is to keep on with my good No-S habits throughout the month, despite being on the road and staying with family, friends and in hotels... I know it will be challenging, but what is the alternative? If I don't have some kind of structure in mind, I know I will return home heavier and unhappy with myself.

So - here are my goals for myself:
1. Follow No-S as best I can this month. Transatlantic flight days are an S day.
2. Exercise and meditate every day.
3. Check in here every day when feasible (might not have Wi-Fi everywhere we are going) to keep myself on track.
4. Focus on enjoying the people and places, and being hungry for my meals. Let go of worrying where/when/what the next meal will be.
5. Don't beat myself up when I fail on any of these things - mark it and move on.

I hope everyone here has a great July! :mrgreen:

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:24 pm

Happy safe travels, Amy. YOu have a long trip ahead! Where in the states are you going?

Sounds like your goals are realistic and sound. Especially the enjoying people/places and meditating.

I think it's actually easiest for me to let go of food worries when surrounded by all the people I love.

The trick, for me, is to keep good habits. Because they keep ME. And are so automatic. (why is my hand going for another round of dessert without my brain attached?)...:)

Take care, love.
Liz

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:44 pm

Exciting! I have a sister and brother-in-law who live out of the country and I love it when she comes home. My last vacation was a trip to visit and travel with them.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:22 am

Yesterday was green! :mrgreen: First good one in a while, which was nice. Having that snacking demon off my back felt good :twisted: !

We're doing a huge road trip, starting in Atlanta and then up to Illinois, over to South Dakota, Wyoming (Yellowstone!), down to Utah, and then east to Colorado. Phew! We'll be putting a lot of miles in but we'll get to see the entire family and lots of beautiful places we've never been.

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:28 am

hooray! good for you, Amy!
what an amazing road trip ahead! i made it to utah tonight and am trying to wind down now. maybe you will pass on through while we're here!
take care and stay green!
Liz

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:57 am

Liz, we'll be in Salt Lake City for one night and then we head east to Vernal on our way to Colorado. Is that near where you are?

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:01 pm

Wow a road trip! I hope you enjoy yourself! I like your goals.

Jennifer24747

Post by Jennifer24747 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:17 pm

Sounds like it's going to be a great trip, Amy--hope you enjoy yourselves!
Discovered NoS April 25, 2012!
SW: 157
CW: 156
GW: 140-145

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:46 am

Thanks!

Another green day yesterday! :mrgreen: I was busy all day getting laundry done, getting my husband and kids to set aside the clothes they want to pack. Today is the big suitcase puzzle and all those last minute details...

Things like this put me in another frame of mind where I don't even think about eating... :D

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:21 pm

3rd green day in a row - :mrgreen: hooray!
Suitcases all packed and ready to go early tomorrow morning...

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:29 pm

Yay you are getting these habits nailed down.
They keep you....and then it's less mind-power.
Happy and SAFE travels! Give a honk to SLC when you pass through! We are up near Emigration Canyon (by the zoo, against the mountain!).
take care, Liz
Liz

gk

Post by gk » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:25 am

Amy -

Thanks for dropping by my thread with your encouraging words. :)

Hope you have a great trip - enjoy!
SW (as of 3/25/13): 172 lbs.
CW: 171 lbs.

tobiasmom

Hey

Post by tobiasmom » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:46 pm

Hey there! How was your trip? Missing you around here.....hope all is well!

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:16 pm

Wow - it's been one heck of a month! I really thought I'd have the time and inclination to get on the boards here while we were on the road but it was all I could do just to keep up with my email...

Anyhow...after an entire month travelling in the US I am proud to report that I came home just 1 pound heavier than I left. That is huge when most days we were eating a free hotel breakfast, and two more meals in restaurants... I really believe if I hadn't been training myself in No-S eating since April, things would have really gotten out of control.

I did have some learning moments - one of the biggest ones was the night we stopped at a pizza buffet restaurant in Rapid City SD - I ended up eating way too much, to the point I didn't feel well. But on the whole, I managed to choose healthy options at most places (thank goodness for salad bars) and when it was unhealthy or more fattening, I stuck to just one "plate" for the most part. But I wasn't obesessively keeping track, either, just going with the flow and letting the habits run just under the surface. I also didn't beat myself up for anything (well, except for that pizza buffet - i was pretty annoyed with myself for that one!)

Anyway, I'm back now, struggling a bit with the 9 hour time difference, a sore throat and some depression over unresolved family issues... I'm so glad to be home, though, sleeping in my own bed and not having to scrounge around for quarters every time I want to do a load of laundry! And excited to get back on my No-S journey, because since April this has been the one thing that has really brought a healthy dose of sanity to my eating life.

Looking forward to catching up with you all, too!

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:34 am

Back to full swing No-S today - vanilla with my only mod being taking S days on Friday and Saturday instead of Saturday and Sunday.

Off to take a walk in the sunshine - have a great Sunday everyone!

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:47 am

Hi Amy! Thanks so much for the encouraging words on my thread!! Sounds like you did awesome on your trip. HOORAY! August is going to be challenging for me since we will be away for some of it. Keep on keepin' on! Happy Sunday!
"Rivers know this: There is no hurry. We shall get there some day." ~Winnie the Pooh ~

A Flower does not think of competing with the flower next to it. It just blooms!

Diets Don't Work.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:53 pm

Good to see you back! It sounds like you had a great trip!
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:57 am

Thanks, y'all! It's good to be back and getting into a normal routine again. Just catching up on the boards and seeing what everyone is up to, and getting to know some new posters is very motivating. Let's have a great, green week!

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:27 am

Hi Amy,

look who's talking: you're the one who does brilliantly :D

I totally get where you coming from when you say that other diets got old after about 3 weeks. What I also love about No-S is to think of it in 21 day stretches. Makes it easier to get a new start and aim for that 21 Club.

Cheers
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:06 pm

LOL! Thanks Eschano - only problem is I tend to stumble brilliantly as well - got off to a great start on Sunday only to drop the ball on Monday evening - emotional phone calls with my sis put me in WTH hell mode big time (the wine I drink while talking doesn't help either). Sigh. Oh well.

The other wonderful thing about No-S is "Mark it and move on." Instead of throwing in the towel for days/months/years as I have done in the past, on No-S I get right back up on my horse. Today. Going well so far: got my half hour walk in, a quick breakfast and a nice lunch of leftovers, and looking forward to lentil shepherd's pie that is cooking now for dinner... If I can just stick to those four things each day I will be fine... :D

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:44 pm

"If I can just stick to those four things each day I will be fine... "

You're right.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:51 am

Did not fall off my horse yesterday - :D

Today is going well so far - good breakfast and lunch, plans for veggie lasagna for dinner. Got a short walk in to go to the store for my ingredients. I am enjoying being back to cooking real meals in my own kitchen after all that eating out and trying to make do in borrowed kitchens the past month...

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:30 pm

Glad you're still on your horse! :D Enjoy your own kitchen. It's always so nice to get away, but equally nice to come back home! And, thanks so very much for your encouragement on my thread. Happy Wednesday!
"Rivers know this: There is no hurry. We shall get there some day." ~Winnie the Pooh ~

A Flower does not think of competing with the flower next to it. It just blooms!

Diets Don't Work.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:35 pm

The hardest time of day for me is the late afternoon before it is time to start making dinner. Especially when my son has a friend over to play, as he does today...I always feel at loose ends. And that's when that snacky feeling starts to raise its head... :evil:

So I just had a cup of tea and as soon as they got off my computer, came here to get some motivation to carry me through...another half hour and I can start making dinner. Then I'll be okay.

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:39 pm

You Go Girl!! You can hang on for just a bit longer! You are apparently on the other side of the world from me. Isn't technology amazing when you really think about it?!

Diets Don't Work.

eschano

Post by eschano » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:09 pm

I appreciate tea more and more as a secret weapon. Well done!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:05 am

Tea is definitely a No-S lifesaver, Eschano - I have to be real careful with caffeine so I only have two cups of coffee a day and then I have to switch to tea - I actually had to stop letting myself buy boxes of tea because I have too many at the moment!

And yes, technology really is amazing, ZippaDee...I'm in Belgium but right now I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone. Still not entirely over the jetlag as I woke again in the middle of the night and couldn't sleep...I don't mind so much being up in the middle of the night (I have plenty of episodes of "In Treatment" to catch up on) but it's how crappy I feel the next day that really does me in.

So...trying to infuse some energy into myself...going to take a walk, pick up a few things for dinner, have my 2nd cup of coffee...and try to stay green. And hopefully sleep better tonight.

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:45 am

Jetlag stinks! Hope the walk put some new energy in your bones. Sleep well tonight! I visited Belgium years ago! Happy Thursday!

Diets Don't Work.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:37 am

Thanks, ZippaDee... The walk was good - an hour in the sunshine, that's definitely one of the things that is supposed to help jetlag, right?

Unfortunately, I struggled again last night. *sigh* I know that one of these nights, if I keep to my schedule, I will simply be so tired that I will finally be able to get thru the night, and I know I have to be patient, but when I am tossing and turning it is so frustrating!

So another tired day feeling like a wreck ahead of me...going to get another walk in and thank goodness it is an S day for me and I can't fail. Pizza night is back on! Happy Friday everyone!

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:25 am

I can relate to the after vacation slump and trying to get back in the routine. It is hard. I often do pretty well during vacations at weight maintenance because our vacations tend to be pretty active. Then I come home and have to readjust sleep patterns and fight the desire to keep eating extra food without the extra exercise. Good luck at working through the readjustment period!
Maintenance is progress.

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:20 am

Hey Amy3010, thanks for stopping by to encourage me.
Hope your jet lag is improving and you are managing (like me) to avoid eating out of tiredness! Happy S-Days :)

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:25 am

I came back from a 5-week trip to Bali (on other side of International Dateline) in summer of 2000 and it took weeks to get back on schedule. A real drag when I would be awake nearly all night and still have to teach during the day. Not just awake. Sitting up and active! Been through menopause since then. Not that different sometimes. But you're right, you will come around.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:51 pm

Thanks, everyone, for the support...

I've just been floundering...sleep has improved but is still not optimal...I'll have one good night and then two bad. This has been playing havoc with eating and other routines, although I the one thing I have made sure I do every day is at least 30 min of some kind of exercise out in the fresh air. Trying to hang in here! Hope it will get better soon...but at the moment it's got me really down.

Good to come here and see how everyone is doing!

Amy3010

REBOOT

Post by Amy3010 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:46 am

Still not sleeping great - I had the best night ever on Friday and since then we've had a heat wave pass through and the nights have been tough again! But I've just got to push through this and REBOOT myself...

We've got two weeks til the boys go back to school - it will be easier then when our normal routines start up again, but I just can't wait that long! I'm so sick of feeling tired and strung out! I am getting back on track TODAY with Vanilla No-S and 30 minutes of exercise every day, and that's all I am going to worry about for the next two weeks.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:23 pm

Just the basics. That's all you can ask for now.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:26 am

So right, Oolala! Monday was green and yesterday was yellow - we'd been invited to a dinner party at friends and it was a long planned S-event. The rest of the day went very reasonably, though, and I am feeling better and back on track. Had two nights in a row where I slept like a log, too - HOORAY!!! That makes such a difference in my energy level, my mood, and I just feel so much more able to cope with everything... :D Things are looking up!

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:34 am

HOORAY indeed! Glad to hear your sleeping is settling down. Well done on a very positive start to the week :)

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:10 pm

As I got ready this morning I was thinking the same thing! I need to get back to basics...back to consistently meeting the minimum standards. I had come to expect more which has ultimately set me up for failure.
Maintenance is progress.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:53 am

Wednesday was green! It could have been a tough day because I spent the afternoon helpfing a friend sort thru her things before she moves on Saturday, but it was okay and I ended up being able to avoid any troublesome eating situations...

Today I have to go to a funeral for an elderly lady in our community. I didn't know her that well, but had been to visit her a few times. She was a neat lady, she did astrology very seriously and a friend of mine treated me to a session with her for my 40th birthday a few years ago...she told me some very interesting things that I still think about.

eschano

Post by eschano » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:16 am

Don't you love it when you anticipate a tough day and it ends up green? I do. Well done!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

tobiasmom

Hey

Post by tobiasmom » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:17 am

Hope all went ok with the funeral today. I know that's not always very fun.....

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:28 am

The funeral was okay - she was 84, there was a very lovely choir singing during the service, it was a beautiful day, sunny and bright - it seemed more like a celebration of her life than anything terribly sad... It was a very small group of people at both the church, graveside and reception afterwards, which actually seemed very intimate, not sad at all.

At the reception I sat next to her 8-year-old great-granddaughter and had a nice chat about horseback riding and dance class. And then I walked home (I'd brought my walking shoes in my bag), enjoying the sunshine and thinking about life and things... Funny how funerals do put you in that frame of mind, right?

The day was solid green, too!

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:02 am

Friday was green up til pizza night (one of my planned S's for the weekend)... Today I plan to have my three one plate meals and then enjoy some chips this evening. I agree it is much easier (and sane) to just have a few planned things instead of going hog wild all weekend as I have been know to do when i first started No-S...

For the past few days I've been logging my food on Myfitnesspal.com (a tip I got from Mimi) just to get a feel for the caloric size of my meals... I know I won't want to do this forever but it has been a helpful exercise just to get my eye back on track...

Have a good weekend everyone!

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:19 am

Sticking with structure on weekends while allowing a couple S items is the only sane way to go for me. If I slip into wild weekends or wild vacations, it seems to take longer each time to get totally back on track. It is too easy to slip back into the permasnacker mode these days. Here's to a sane weekend!
Maintenance is progress.

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:28 pm

Hi Amy!

It looks like you are doing well in the No-S department. Not taking it too seriously, being good to yourself, and knowing your weaknesses.

I quite often log food into MyFitnesspal.com. It's a little bit of an obsession of mine at times. Esp. since it's an app on my phone. Sometimes it's just nice to get an idea of your caloric intake!

Good luck getting ready for your boys to get back into school! Sounds like you've had one exciting summer!
Liz

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:34 pm

hi amy, thanks for your supportive post on my check in thread!
i will start following yours now when i'm checking in here :)
good luck to you!
debs x
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:36 am

I'm back after a rough few weeks - just going for one good day at a time here!

eschano

Post by eschano » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:59 pm

Hi Amy, welcome back! Love your posts so please keep at it.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:48 am

Good to see you back!
Maintenance is progress.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:53 am

October 1st - a new start, for my favorite month of the whole year! Back to No-S once again... :D

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:15 am

Welcome back Amy!
Maintenance is progress.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:43 pm

Thank you!

I think that is the other thing that keeps me coming back here - the friendly and supportive community on these boards. :D

Working on getting back in the No-s mindset today...so far so good!

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:03 am

Oct 1: green

Read this recently on a blog I follow and it struck me that it is exactly what No-S is all about:

A happy weight is actually happy. You feel good, you're not hungry all the time, not chronically sore, not living in fear of gaining weight if you make one wrong move. Maintaining your happy weight will require awareness, but not vigilance, not fear. You shouldn't be walking around feeling like you're always on the brink of disaster. You should have confidence in your ability to handle all of life's curveballs (vacations, injuries, illnesses, work drama, in-laws) without weight gain being a factor. In other words, your happy weight shouldn't be dependent on adhering to a strict schedule or only eating certain foods.

My advice is to focus on health, happiness, and habits first. Don't fall into the trap of judging success or self-worth by a number. If you make it all about great, enjoyable daily habits, you might be surprised how easily you maintain a lower weight, or how fantastically awesome you look and feel at a slightly higher one.

Onwards and upwards to day 2 and the rest of my life!

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:20 am

That's a great sentiment, thanks for posting. You're right, that is the heart of No-S - focus on habits that you can live with and the rest will follow.

sarahkay

Post by sarahkay » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:03 pm

That is so inspiring, I love it!

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:20 am

I was doing good yesterday, got my exercise in and had my one-plate breakfast and lunch. Then I got a letter from my doctor with some news that made me nervous. I had my one plate dinner and then because I was fretting, I mindlessly took seconds. Then I had a glass of wine which led to a second glass of wine, which led to a sweet... *sigh*

The thing of it is, I know for my health issues, the most important thing I can do is eat a healthy diet. But when I am worrying about something it seems eating comforting food is the one thing that soothes my mind... It's crazy, isn't it? I mean, I have exercise and meditation that I do daily but still food is the magic bullet in times of distress.

Anyway, even though I was scared I phoned the doctor's office to get some clarification of the things in the letter that were worrying me this morning. So that is a weight off my mind. And I am going to just pick myself up and dust myself off and keep on going with healthy foods, No-S, exercise and meditation. I want to be proactive with my health, rather than letting things discourage me, which causes me to not take such good care of myself.

So I had to mark yesterday as a Red, but today I am going for Green once again.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:16 am

Concerns about health is one of the most stressful events a person will encounter, and I think you have a lot of company in reacting by having food and wine. I do the same at times. However, I feel less out of control with my indulgences than pre No S. I rarely have more than 2 beers and 3 has become my absolute limit. I may overeat one evening but am more likely to be back on track the next morning. My worst eating day now is minor compared to my poor eating habits before No S.

Hope everything turns out ok!

PS. I like the idea of seeking my happy weight. I wonder what number that will be?
Maintenance is progress.