Karen's Check In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

KareBear

Karen's Check In

Post by KareBear » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:54 pm

It has been awhile since I have been on this board. I need the sanity and support for my journey. Since I was last on, we have had a lot of problems with our 15 year old, which led us to kick him out. I know I have been depressed for the last 6 months or so, which has led me to not take care of myself. NO MORE.

I am staying on this site, I am going to learn how to take care of myself. Which means to NOT focus so much on weight loss but to take control of my eating and exercise. I really love to exercise. It makes me feel good so I really need to get back into it. Not to loose weight, but because I really enjoy it. I really feel like NO S is the best tool for me. I am going to focus on me feeling better and not so much what my weight says. One day at a time and NO BEATING MYSELF UP.
Karen

Start/Current/Goal
160/ 160 /135

KareBear

Post by KareBear » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:01 pm

Well here we are on a Monday....and I have picked out my breakfast and lunch: Bagel & Banana/Small burger, Chips & applesauce. Not sure about dinner yet.

Planning on doing my run this evening and 15 minutes of Shoveglove. My goals for this week are to do cardio exercise 4 days and Shoveglove M-F.

Hope everyone has a good day. I would love for this time to be the last time that I am starting over. :o
Karen

Start/Current/Goal
160/ 160 /135

KareBear

Post by KareBear » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:41 am

Monday went well. I did not get my run in, but I am not going to beat myself up over it. Especially since I had my 3 meals today and stayed in the GREEN!!! Feeling good!
Karen

Start/Current/Goal
160/ 160 /135

KareBear

Post by KareBear » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:26 pm

Tuesday: Well, considering that I have been up since 4 am I am feeling pretty good. Of course, as the day wears on, I am sure I will start to wear out! Ah well.

I am supposed to run tonight with a friend at 6. I am not a great evening runner. I am much better first thing, but it is really nice to have someone to run with and it gives me the push I need to get my cardio in. I plan on doing my 15 minutes of Shoveglove after work.

Breakfast: Bagel, Banana & milk

Lunch: ???

Dinner: ???

Day 2 back and I am feeling really good.
Karen

Start/Current/Goal
160/ 160 /135

KareBear

Post by KareBear » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:18 am

Wednesday. It is for sure a HUMP DAY for me. I was doing so great until dinner. Then the Hersey Kisses that I had in the freezer were calling to me and dang it, I answered the call. Well I went for a short walk with my son and I feel better after that. I was feeling pretty discouraged after I had a Red day, after only 2 days green, but I will not throw int the towel. This program is AWESOME and makes all the sense in the world.

Going to bed. Marking it and moving on!!!
Karen

Start/Current/Goal
160/ 160 /135

KareBear

Post by KareBear » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:07 pm

Monday:

So far, today has been GREAT. Of course its only 7 am, lol. Anyway, I went out of town last Thursday and was a little worried about compliance but you know, I was successful. It was actually kinda easy not to snack. Of course, I did not have any snacks in my hotel room, so that was good.

I waited until Saturday to have any snacks and threw in a little bit of exercise this weekend. I plan on focusing on exercise during my No S days and hope that will motivate me to stay on track threw the week.

I have spent a lot of time this weekend, reading through the board and reading the check in's and questions. It was really encouraging and motivated me to stick with it, even when I fail. My main goal is to get over this "Diet Head" and really accept myself. I would love to feel better physically, but I am not going to go for a certain number on the scale.

Screw, the scale, I care about me! Happy Monday EVERYONE.

Already got my run in: About 50 minutes of cardio

Breakfast: Slimfast Bar and Banana

Lunch: Bagel & Applesauce

Dinner: ??? (Maybe Chicken Fried Rice with bread)
Karen

Start/Current/Goal
160/ 160 /135

KareBear

Post by KareBear » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:36 pm

Tuesday:
Well yesterday was a little scary at night. I made it through the day just fine, but I ate dinner way to early and was hungry around 8:00pm. Thats prime snacking time. But I resisted and I am happy that I did.

So today, should look like this:

Breakfast: Bagel/Banana/Milk

Lunch: Taco Bell: 2 Tacos with some chips

Dinner:???

I am not sure about dinner yet. I am running with a friend around 6 for an hour and I was hoping to eat after that. I am not usually hungry right after a run so dinner would be something light, and that is kinda what I am shooting for.

Side Note: As I was getting ready this morning I looked at my scale. I had a short conversation with myself about how the number does not matter much to me anymore. I just want to get rid of the crazy "diet" brain. This time around, I really want to focus on "me" and feeling better. Especially since things have been so stressful around the house. Part of that is better but I still feel really sad about my oldest son (15) not living here anymore. I know that will get better in time so for now I am just going to keep on :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Karen

Start/Current/Goal
160/ 160 /135

milliem

Post by milliem » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:43 pm

Hey Karen, just wanted to pop in and say hello - I love your goals to focus on taking care of yourself and eating/exercising well! Hope your week is going well :)

KareBear

Post by KareBear » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:24 pm

Wednesday:

Today is a success, just for the simple fact that I got up at 5 to go for a run. Which ended up being mostly a walk but hey, I feel great for getting my exercise in! I did weigh myself this morning and my number has not moved since starting but I am actually good with that. Especially since I am feeling VERY PMS'd (Tired, bloated, irritable, well you know) Again, my total focus is on habit and not on the number.

My food today will look like this:

Breakfast: Slimfast/Banana/Milk

Lunch: Bagel & Applesauce

Dinner: Tuna Noodle Casserole-yum yum

I am happy that it is the middle of the week. I can make it 2 more days right? RIGHT. But I do need to remember to take it a day at a time, or else I will overwhelm myself! So, today, is very doable!

Happy HUMP day EVERYONE
Karen

Start/Current/Goal
160/ 160 /135

Sammybunny711

Post by Sammybunny711 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:31 pm

"Again, my total focus is on habit and not on the number. "

I could not agree more! I have actually not weighed in about two weeks. I don't own a scale and have to weigh in at my martial arts schools, but my master took his scale home to weigh some bags for the airport--so the scale hasn't even been available, LOL.

Good luck on your journey!
Height: 5'4"
Highest weight: 210.4
Current Weight: 197.3
Goal Weight: 125-135

*^..^711

KareBear

Post by KareBear » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:32 pm

Thanks Sammybunny! It has taken a very long time to get over the scale, but I am getting there.

Yesterday was a fail. Stinking Hershey Kisses. I have decided not to keep any candy in the house as it is just too tempting. And even more so around that time of the month.

However, it was not a huge fail and I did good with my exercise yesterday...so Mark it and move on. Also, I have noticed that Wednesdays are very hard for me and usually when I fail. Wondering if I should make Wednesday and S day and then have 1 on the weekend? Any thought?

Not sure what my meals are today, I am not very prepared today. Going to be busy until this afternoon.
Karen

Start/Current/Goal
160/ 160 /135

milliem

Post by milliem » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:54 pm

Hi Karen, hmm yes having chocolate in the house can be very tempting!

I think your first thought was the right one - mark it and move on. There's probably a reason that Wednesdays are difficult, but that doesn't mean that the plan should change! My regularly difficult day is Friday, but I've always resisted moving my S day to a Friday as I'm not sure I could manage Sunday not being an S day... However there are some people who have different S days because their days are structured differently (like, they work on Saturdays so want to take S days on days off etc.) and make it work.

KareBear

Post by KareBear » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:27 pm

Thanks Millie for your advise. I think you are right....I should not start tweaking now. I really want to get the habit down solid and see how I feel. Yesterday was okay, but if I had to be honest, it was a fail.

I had a bagel for breakfast

I had a subway sandwich for lunch with some baked chips

Then right before dinner (which was cereal for me. I LOVE cereal) I had some chips. I am soooooo snacky right now and I know most of it is PMS. I actually did not feel bad about the fail since I did not have as many as I would have normally had, and I stopped. Okay, so moving on.

This morning I am going for a run with a friend. I am not sure how my meals are going to play out today. I have a ton of things to do, a hair appt, meeting with my sons teacher and a fund raiser to go to tonight. I a m going to do my best and I am really looking forward to me weekend.

Have a good day!
Karen

Start/Current/Goal
160/ 160 /135

KareBear

Post by KareBear » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:21 pm

So Friday was pretty good for me.

I did not eat breakfast until 10:30 and I was starving. Then by lunch time, which was around 1:30, I had a Veggie Chicken patty and some chips.

Dinner was a Burrito and chips and my sons fundraiser. I did not finish the Burrito. And they had cookies that went with the meal but I stayed away from them so that was good.

Saturday started out with a run and then 2 hours of yard work. I think I finally had some cereal around 1:30. Pretty snacky most of the day, but I don't think I went crazy. I really did not buy many treats to have since I was not craving any particular thing. However, I did make a carrot cake saturday and that was really yummy. I had 1 piece and then a very small piece yesterday. Gave the rest away. And I bought some doughnuts and stuck the remaining ones in the freezer. I feel like I am planning things a lot better this time around.

Today my meals look like this so far:

Breakfast: Slimfast/Banana/Milk

Lunch: Bagel with homemade jam, applesauce and a few chips (Carb overload)

Dinner: Tuna Casserole I think.

Exercise: Ran/walked this morning for 1 hour.
Side note: Even though I have not lost any weight, I wore a pair of jeans yesterday that seemed to fit better than last Saturday. :D :D :D
Karen

Start/Current/Goal
160/ 160 /135