harmony's check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

harmony

harmony's check-in

Post by harmony » Mon May 28, 2012 1:52 am

This is my latest fresh start. I have been working on vanilla no s, and potentially will be adjusting the weekend so it starts Friday night and ends Sunday after dinner.
I have been pretty successful at getting out for a long walk after dinner (when it hasn't been raining).
My current weight is around 182-185 lbs. I am 5'7".

My biggest vice is cola.

My biggest obstacle at the moment is that I am incredibly bored with food right now. Nothing looks good to me, yet I still have to figure out what to feed my husband and kids. They have not been incredibly helpful when it comes to meal planning. They usually just suggest going out to eat. :roll:

I hope to get to the point where water, not cola or coffee, is the first beverage I reach for.

I hope to establish a daily habit of getting outside for walks and bike rides this summer. I would like to be more active in general.

I hope to feel less tired all of the time.

So until next time...

harmony

Post by harmony » Tue May 29, 2012 3:34 am

I counted today (Memorial Day) as an S day.
I got in a short walk with my kids.
I drank a good amount of water.
I spent a lot of time outside enjoying the beautiful day.

harmony

Post by harmony » Wed May 30, 2012 5:27 am

GREEN!
I went for a really long walk (one day I might take the time to figure out the distance). It took a little over an hour.
I can say that I drank more water than any other kind of beverage. I had 2 cups of coffee this morning, and 2 cups herbal tea this evening. The rest was water. :D
I managed to resist quite a few attempts to rationalize slipping in a dessert or a soda. Knowing that I planned to check in here helped me say no to that.

harmony

Post by harmony » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:08 am

Wednesday - RED - had dessert at the restaurant. But, I only had 2 cups of coffee and I drank plenty of water.

Thursday - Green. I got in another extra long walk. Had 3 cups of coffee, and plenty of water.

Friday - Mostly Green. I didn't snack. I didn't have treats. But, we went out for pizza and I am not sure if my virtual plating was kind of lax. I did get in another extra long walk.

The weekend was nice. I let myself have a little more coffee than usual. I only had 2 sodas, and I was quite content and probably could have done without just fine. I brought home a yummy apple pie for a special dessert to share. I just ate when I was hungry. I noticed an increase in energy and a better all-over mood this weekend. I don't know if was the decrease in caffeine and sugar, the increase in water, the extra walks and sunshine I've been getting, or the new coffee pot that is behind it, but it was really nice.

Tomorrow, I plan on focusing on drinking more water again for the week. I want to keep my coffee intake at around 2 cups a day. It will be a couple of weeks until I can have the luxury of long walks, but I plan on taking at least a daily short walk with my kids instead, and maybe even dust off my bike.

My kids and I took a walk together yesterday and were lucky enough to witness a painted turtle laying eggs in someone's front yard. It was pretty cool. :)

I have decided to put off weighing myself for as long as I can stand it.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:35 am

How cool about the turtle! :D

Sounds like you have gotten off to a good start - have a great week!

harmony

Post by harmony » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:11 am

Thanks, Amy! The turtle was really cool, something I have never seen in real life. As my 11 yo son said afterwards, "I can cross that off my bucket list." :)

Monday- Green

I didn't get in a walk, but I got plenty of sunshine. Probably more than I planned on. Went a little heavy on the coffee, but only 2 cups were caffeinated. I finally remembered to buy a bag of ice to supplement my water habit. Never thought I would be the type to buy ice. It is a guilty pleasure I guess. :)

Tomorrow is the last day of school before summer break. Perhaps I can get one more good, long walk in. Then, I have planned celebratory smores around the fire pit for later that night. I will probably have one.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:18 am

I have been thinking of getting a turtle or tortoise as a pet. My wife has a frowny face every time I mention it. She wants a German Shepard pup.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

harmony

Post by harmony » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:44 am

My son said that he wouldn't mind a turtle for a pet. He also thought a penguin might be nice, too. Lol.

See, we are switched in my family. I think I would pick the turtle and my husband would pick the puppy (after saying a few choice words about turtles). I could be wrong, though because we haven't actually had that particular conversation yet...

Thanks for stopping by, Over43. :D

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:46 am

I love what your son said about it! So cute! Over43, as pets, I don't think turtles are too much work, they are just a lot less cuddly than dogs :wink:

Hope the last day of school goes well for everyone and enjoy your walk!

harmony

Post by harmony » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:50 pm

I am counting today as Green with an upcoming S event. Smores. Or rather roasted marshmallows sandwiched between fudge striped cookies.

I got in my long walk today. I decided to take a more scenic route.

Okay, it's almost fire time. :) We have some old homework papers we can burn.

harmony

Post by harmony » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:17 am

Wednesday - GREEN. Quite proud of myself today. I kept thinking that it was the weekend because the kids were home all day. But, I caught myself each and every time. :)

I had a bit too much coffee and not a lot of water. I don't think I drank any. Not so proud of that, but the new coffee pot (one of those Kuerigs) is just too tempting and fun and convenient (and expensive!!!).

I am proud that I did go on a bike ride today. I used to bike all of the time, and then I lived in a city that was all steep hills, and I kind of stopped biking. And then I moved somewhere less hilly. But the babies came soon after, and I never did figure out how to work that in. Now I don't have hills or babies. Last summer, I bought myself a shiny new bike, and I didn't use it nearly as much as I hoped I would. It's hard to remember that I have a bike, it has been so long! But, I did it, and my daughter biked along with me. It was fun.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:19 am

Way to go! We bike a lot here, too. Luckily not too many hills. When my kids were little I had two toddler seats, one in front of me and one behind me, on my bike. It was great!

harmony

Post by harmony » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:56 pm

Two kids on one bike sounds like an adventure to me. :shock: But, I am not the most skilled bicyclist. I saw a tandem bike the other day, where the bike attached behind was child sized. I thought that was pretty neat.

Thursday-Green.
I did not go for an official walk, but I did spend time outside.
Too much coffee, again. I didn't want to write that, but maybe if I have to write it enough, I will do something about it! Lol.

harmony

Post by harmony » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:36 pm

I'm enjoying my weekend. :)

Friday went as planned. I give it a GREEN.

I stepped on the scale this morning. Fully dressed, the needle was between 180 and 181. So that is pretty cool. I haven't seen the needle below 182 for a long time.

harmony

Post by harmony » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:30 am

Monday - GREEN
:)

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:50 am

yay for you :D - and congrats on the weigh in - I know how that feels when you finally get to another number range!

harmony

Post by harmony » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:36 am

Tuesday -GREEN

:)

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:16 am

Go Harmony! :mrgreen:

harmony

Post by harmony » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:42 am

:D Amy, you are awesome!

Wednesday - GREEN

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:21 am

Wow - only two more days and you'll be the proud owner of a 100% green week!

harmony

Post by harmony » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:42 am

I haven't posted in a long while, but I have had a long string that is all green! Last weekend the scale said 180lbs. :D This coming week I will be on a different schedule. I'm going to do my best, but I plan on sticking to the S event way of thinking rather than just letting lose and submitting to every temptation under the sun. I may use this thread more as a negative check in to keep track of any off days (unless I need a daily check in to recover from the upcoming festivities planned for the coming week). It has been kind of nice to not be thinking of food all of the time.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:19 am

It sounds like you have been doing really well!