MJ7910 Check In Thread

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

MJ7910

MJ7910 Check In Thread

Post by MJ7910 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:16 pm

first day of No S was Thursday 6-7-12. Success
6-8-12 - Success
S days 6-9-12 and 6-10-12 Exempt S days
6-11-12 Failure - Breakfast ok, Lunch ok then had one extra item which led to binge... sweets... pizza, ice cream later since i "already messed up"
6-12-12 Success - Passed up chocolate pudding after dinner - need more successes this week to feel like i'm giving this a good shot. Trying to plan something awesome for Saturday, just 1 thing though to avoid the gluttony problem.. Sunday will be going for brunch at Cheesecake factory so I'm sure there will be some kind of indulgence there. :)
Current BMI: 22.9. Height: 5'4.5"
Highest BMI: 25.5 in August 2011.
Lowest adult BMI: 20.8 in February 2012.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:27 am

Good job turning things around yesterday! You are on your way - the longer you practice these habits the more automatic they will become. :D

MJ7910

Post by MJ7910 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:22 pm

Thanks! hoping i can mark today as another success. Will let you know after dinner! I saw a horrible number on the scale today but I'm not letting it get me down anymore. I agree that if I do this, like Reinhard said, I will settle at my perfect weight.

I know that is why I failed Monday. It at least contributed to it. That damn scale is powerful. Seeing that awful number, 4 lb higher than last week was enough to make me so powerfully mad and feeling like "why am I bothering"... however, I failed to remember the days right before that were bad days. I overate Sunday so of course the weight is higher Monday morning. Also the weight was up today too but I figure it's just my body getting rid of stuff

**edited*** i made it today!

6-13-12 Success! Almost caved at lunch time when i was out for a work thing and didn't get to eat lunch until about 1:30. I was so hungry and everyone else was stopping at Arbys and I knew I had my lunch at my desk. I knew that if i got the Arbys I would come back to my desk, know that I had my healthy lunch in there and eat that too. So i just didn't get anything at Arbys and ate my healthy lunch. Dinner went a little better tonight. I knew I couldn't have anything other than what I put on my plate. I knew chocolate anything wasn't an option.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:49 am

Woo hoo - way to go! And yes, I know the scale can be a very dangerous thing - it can really set us up to fail. So try to find a way to use it that doesn't trigger you - this is different for everyone.

MJ7910

Post by MJ7910 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:01 pm

well we have a work function tonight/happy hour and I'm hoping I can make it through dinner without snacking on extra appetizers.

**edit, i did it!! counting today as a Success because even though i had one thing (bruchetta bread with topping) besides my meal (which was a salmon salad with no dressing), it all fit on the plate and i didn't go crazy***

6-14-12 Success!

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:43 am

Good job! :D

MJ7910

Post by MJ7910 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:13 pm

Thanks Amy!

I will make today awesome! I went ahead and precolored my calendar with green today, hoping that will motivate me. Because then Saturday and Sunday are exempt, meaning I made it today! So I prefilled those yellow. I really don't want to break my streak so I'm going to do this today!! I can do it!!

6-15-12 - will let you know how it goes but I'm hoping Success!

And it was!!! 6-15-12 Success!!! on to the S days tomorrow. I will make it!

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:57 am

Good for you! Enjoy your weekend - you've earned it!

MJ7910

Post by MJ7910 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:54 am

Ok so an S day today and I got through it feeling a little overfull but not terribly so. I had a few indulgences but ended up doing ok. I don't want to be hard on myself because this is my first time trying this. As soon as I start to think "I wonder how many calories that brownie was" I'm going to remind myself how great I did the rest of the week and how great i am going to do this week! I am determined to have a fun brunch tomorrow morning and then have a moderate S day, allowing myself whatever i want (but not being an idiot). I don't think you'd call today moderate but it's ok, it is one of my first S days and not only that, it's an S day after 4 really great N days so I am going to not beat myself up over some fun I had today. I know I ate some things I normally don't eat (brownies, donut) but it's ok because I feel like I need to start giving myself permission to do stuff or I'll settle back into diet mentality again. I need to remember that S days are fun days for me. Days to do what I feel is right. I want to avoid overeating and that bloated binging feeling, but I want to allow myself permission to eat whatever I feel like. It's a hard line to walk. I know a lot of you probably had wild S days in the beginning too. I'm sure that when I start to realize that safety net is there, I will stop going quite as crazy as I did at the beginning. So tomorrow planning on an awesome brunch with friends and then just see what the day brings.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:55 am

Slow and steady. You're doing well. Have you read the thread The Phases of No S? It's a good one. Please be patient with S days. You're just getting going! It may take weeks or even a few months. Or longer. Or not! But increasingly solid N days will also be wonderful.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:43 am

I agree with Oolala - be patient and don't panic about your S days in the beginning. I had some really wild ones, too, at first. The important thing is to focus on building the good habits during the week.

MJ7910

Post by MJ7910 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:09 pm

6-16 and 6-17 were a bit crazy but they were S days so oh well...

6-18... having a hard time today. had lunch after i went to the zoo with my daughter and now i'm sitting here while she naps and i just want to snack and snack and snack. i think part of it is that i had a fast food-ish lunch (but was still a solid meal - grilled chicken sandwich with lettuce and tomato only, side salad with raspberry vinigarette, and some cheese curds on the side - those weren't a good choice but still didn't do anything bad and it fit in the meal, i even resisted ice cream)... so it doesn't mean i messed up today yet. but i sure was close. i felt like saying "$#&%( it, i just want a snack" but i didn't. i am holding over those "snacks" as part of my dinner because i do really want them but they are not sweets so i can make them part of dinner. oh it's so hard though!! just want to go eat them now. but it's 3pm and i've made it this far. I"m not hungry and i can make it until at least 4:30 or maybe even 5pm for dinner! I will do this. I am very determined to have an all green week this week. i will drink some more water. probably just dehydrated.

my plan is to do better on the upcoming S days. still allow myself something fun but no need to "be an idiot"... need to have a great week this week, i can do this!

***per oolala53's advice, went back and read the phases of NoS diet sticky. I would say for sure i need to focus on getting the structure of N days. I really want a green week this week. And once I get 21 days however long that takes me, i will consider myself to have mastered phase one and maybe ready to think about how I want S days to go better and what i can reasonably do, that is, if they still feel out of control for me at that point. but until then, i am going to focus on N days and getting those right for 3 consecutive weeks and then i'll worry about craziness. i am still in diet mentality mode and i think that is why i am acting like a crazy person. like i'm in famine mode and have to get all i can get because someone will take the food away monday. i'm sure over time that feeling will lessen. i have to admit i hate feeling full and bloated and i know with practice i will get used to pushing that feeling away and realizing i don't need to eat everything in sight.***

MJ7910

Post by MJ7910 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:25 pm

6-18-12 ended up being successful but i struggled the entire day! kept wanting to snack constantly. but today is feeling the same way already (6-19) and my husband wants to grill hamburgers tonight but he doesn't get home until really late so i'm a little concerned i will want to eat dinner before then. i just have to be strong! i know beverages are ok so maybe if i have a glass of almond milk that can get me through until dinner.

MJ7910

Post by MJ7910 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:02 am

Well I messed up today... :oops:
Ruined my streak of green days.

So time to analyze what happened.

6-19-12 - I get home with my daughter and I'm already annoyed because I know I am going to have to wait really late to eat dinner. I am starving and it's 4:45. So I decide that I will think about what I want in addition to the burger that will be grilled when my DH gets home. so I eat popcorn, carrots, grapes... take my vitamins. have a glass of milk. he gets home and he has a traffic citation from some stupid red light running camera and I know i'm the one that did it. there goes $95. guess they really do check those things. I feel like a jerk because of that. It takes him forever to look at it, read it, analyze it. I just want to get these burgers grilled because the small things I ate really weren't that filling but he is never hungry so I'm patiently waiting for him to analyze the traffic citation situation. I sit down to finally eat the burger and my daughter needs help going potty. I help her but in the middle of that my food is sitting out getting cold and she gets mad and throws the worst tantrum ever because I won't let her play in the potty. I put her in her crib and she is still screaming and mad. i figure i'll go eat the last few bites and then go up and see if she has settled down because i couldn't comfort her and failed in those attempts. she is still mad. so i'm upset. i go back downstairs, she comes with me and finally she feels a little better. after that is when things start to go bad. i still feel hungry so i have a banana with my daughter, then WTH feeling kicks in. i've already ruined things so why not just have more stuff. I am trying so hard to stop at one mess up. But i wasn't able to. I had a bunch of stuff, no idea how many calories but it was a lot. it's over now and i have an almost pregnant looking stomach. i was supposed to run but now there is no way because it would be uncomfortable due to my overeating. looks like today is automatically my "skip day" because i'm an idiot.

I know why i did it. I was pissed about the traffic citation. I felt like my husband was pointing fingers at me and shaming me for it as he made a few sarcastic remarks about it, of course, all in jest but I am sensitive. The tantrum was very upsetting and she doesn't have very many so they feel out of control for me. Dinner was already very late today and I set a bad precedent by having those random things before my actual meal. I should have just waited until the meal but things were all disjointed and i used that as an excuse to get off track.

When am I going to learn that eating when in an emotional state gets me nowhere! Binging doesn't solve any problems. And now I get to think about how much fatter I will be after not being able to feel comfortable in a pair of pants that normally fit me.

I realize I am getting heavier and that realization makes me freak out and overeat more, somehow. It was easier when I was getting smaller which was just a few months ago. Somehow fitting in smaller pants didn't make me overeat. Strange irony.

So it's back to the drawing board tomorrow.

I guess I ruined my streak but here is my new goal. Moderate days Wednesday, Thursday, Friday. S days will be a little more moderate this week than last week but not going to overly restrict because we know what that leads to. Stick to my three meals a day. I can do this again but a failure just feels so bad right now.

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:20 am

i'm so sorry.
i relate, though. oh so much.
i did it again today. binge, that is.
it started with a lot of "set-ups" and i should have known better.
but what pains me more is the fact that i can't just "roll with it".
feeling "pregnant" too, in my fat pants.
kinda reminds me how they say about kids sleeping "sleep begets sleep".
well, i feel like "positive begets positive" and "negative begets negative".
so let's REALLY get some green under our belts and get the positive vibe.
sorry about the citation. it's still there. after the binge and all, dangit.
take care.
Liz

MJ7910

Post by MJ7910 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:20 pm

I think that is true, binge begets binge... one leads to another. feeling bad about oneself leads to more feeling bad about oneself. so i'm trying to dust myself off today. it's a new day. so i screwed up. so what. today is a new day to start over
I've noticed that i tend to do so much better if i eat out for dinner, strangely. like if i go to subway and pick something up it seems to go so much better for me. when i'm at home preparing dinner is when i seem to go way off track. so i've got to stick to things today. no craziness. no "going to the dark side" as they say in the movie sideways. what miles does with wine i do with food.
and i will run today because i won't overeat. i didnt' start this c25k program to abandon it in the second week.

MJ7910

Post by MJ7910 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:35 pm

i also decided no weighing except every 2 weeks. and those times will be not before my period and not before ovulation. whenever i weigh myself during those times i am very unhappy. i think it leads to more binging. so i think i need to do it when my weight would theoretically be at the lowest which is right after TOM (time of the month) is gone and right after ovulation. i wonder if i should even just go with once a month weigh in. maybe that woudl be better....

Jennifer24747

Post by Jennifer24747 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:30 pm

I've been trying to figure out when a good time would be to weigh myself, too. It's hard, since womens' bodies fluctuate so much thanks to various cycles. Another member weighs herself every day for a week four times a year and takes the average of the seven days--I might try that! Seems like it might help me to stop obsessing, and make me want to do better for the next weigh-in date.

I tried Couch to 5k once, and it worked for me...and then I realized my knees can't take running. I think it was a too-much-too-fast-too-soon thing. I hope it works out for you, though...it's really a great program.
Discovered NoS April 25, 2012!
SW: 157
CW: 156
GW: 140-145

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:59 pm

Weighing is such a mixed-bag for me.
Either I feel like you weigh every single day (which is obsessive a bit), so you can see the fluctuations and understand the ebbs and flows, or very rarely.
My problem is, the scale messes with my mind a bit.

When pregnant with all 3 boys, I usually turned around when weighed. Even though it was "good weigh", it still can get to me!

But I can tell I'm definitely heavier right now from the binges as of late, and that's why I'm staying away from the scale!

I can tell with my clothes and from the mirror!
Liz

MJ7910

Post by MJ7910 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:17 pm

I am skipping this Saturday for sure as I know it will be higher. I figure if i'm going to weigh it is going to be after N days! So maybe i'll do it next saturday 6-30. sounds like a good goal.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:21 am

Weighing in is tricky - sometimes I do it every day for a while and then I'll get fed up with it and stop for a while. I do have little calendar books where I write down my weights and I think I have those going back for the past 7 or 8 years, and it is interesting to see the change over time, as I have slowly incorporated healthier habits.

MJ7910

Post by MJ7910 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:39 am

wow i have really been away for a while.

i think my last check in was the 20th...

i had 3 red days in a row. don't know what came over me...
tuesday, weds, thursday all failures.

Friday was successful - 6/22/12
Saturday was an S day today but I consider it a success because i didn't do anything too bad. it didn't feel out of control but i think the reason it didn't is because I felt so awful about three red days in a row that I just didn't want to keep feeling worse. So i decided just to have a few snacks but not overdo things. also i stayed away from chocolate and i think that was the key to my success. whenever chocolate enters the picture i seem to have problems. so maybe that is what i need to do, just not buy it! maybe just for a while. i can still have sweets on my s days just not chocolate, which leads to binges. maybe if i can do this for a few weeks i can introduce it back in and be able to do it in moderation. that is the hope... i gotta start somewhere!

oh and i'm going on a 3 day business trip and i'm sure the internet will be spotty so i'll probably not be able to check in tomorrow night, monday night, or tuesday night... hope to be back on wednesday with good stories! the lucky thing is there is not a lot of available food on these trips as they tend to have a limited budget and i don't like to spend money and i'm bringing my own food for breakfast... so i should do ok. may have to bend the rules a little bit since i have no idea when the lunch and dinner times are planned, but i can do this!

so if you don't see me for a while it's bc i can't connect there... :(

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:30 am

Good luck - I hope everything goes well on your trip!

MJ7910

Post by MJ7910 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:39 am

Back from the trip. Hopefully I will have a chance tomorrow to see how everyone is doing but i'm really tired so going to talk about the last few days then hit the bed... trip really tired me out... but... I did great!

Sunday 6/24 i know was an S day but i stayed under control and moderate
Monday 6/25 was green
today 6/26 was green...

lots of awesome stuff at the meeting, brownies, cookies, etc, but i resisted it all... ready for three more green days this week and time to get my streak back! feeling much better about this week. feeling like i made some progress with breaking my chocolate addiction. i am just not having a lot of chocolate based stuff anymore, it seems to really get me off track. if i do have a dessert i am going to make it something non chocolate.

carpediem

Post by carpediem » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:23 pm

Chocolate should be a 4-letter word! We have a chocolate factory 10 miles from here that makes DELICIOUS chocolate...their mint meltaways are my all time favorite! Hershey can't hold a candle to these folks! I know enough to stay away from there because there is absolutely no way I could control my addiction...No matter how faithful I have been to NoS, just one whiff of the place would cause a complete relapse....lol.

I've read that if a person stays away from chocolate long enough they will lose the craving for it; think it was 5 weeks or something. While that may be true for some or even most of the population with this particular addiction, it certainly does not hold true for me. I've accepted it as a lifelong companion!

I've tried giving up sweets completely. Works for awhile but no matter how motivated I may be, eventually it gets to be too much. That is one very positive aspect of NoS. It is not necessary to give anything up completely; it's all a matter of moderation and control. There in lies the challenge for me. I can avoid forbidden fruit during the week but need to learn to control the urge to over indulge on the weekends. I'm sure there are many fellow NoS-ers who can relate!
I CAN IF I THINK I CAN!!

MJ7910

Post by MJ7910 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:14 pm

for now i think i'm going to avoid it in an attempt to reduce it's power. it would be nice if i could moderate my consumption of it but it is very difficult for me. i am glad it works for some people though.

MJ7910

Post by MJ7910 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:18 pm

didn't make it yesterday 6-27

didn't have full out WTH syndrome but a little bit.

probably overdid it just a tad but not epically

so i count that as progress.

New day today and I plan to own it! :)

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:24 pm

"Own it"!
LOVE THAT.
Good job moving on and not beating yourself up. Take care.
Liz

MJ7910

Post by MJ7910 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:11 am

well it was going to be good today... and then chocolate struck again. wish i could just learn to control myself.

well here's hoping 6/29 is better.

i feel horribly full right now. i'm going to see how i feel and if i'm hungry i'll eat something for breakfast and if not i'll hold out for lunch. not going to force myself to eat but i hate feeling this stuffed and full. wish i could remember not to do this anymore. but i seem to never learn.

carpediem

Post by carpediem » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:02 pm

Why is it so hard for us mere mortals to grasp the concept of over indulgence?? Even though we know we're gonna feel crappy and we know we're gonna be kicking ourselves in our over-sized butts, we still seem to lack the fortitude to walk away from temptation. Don't be too hard on yourself, MJ, we all do it...

Mark it and move on!
I CAN IF I THINK I CAN!!

MJ7910

Post by MJ7910 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:10 pm

ok so 6/29 is not off to a good start either.

got to work and there are rice krispie treats and brownies. had 1 of each, and counted it as my breakfast along with a banana.

so i messed up but i am willing to count it as "onlyonemessup" if i can get through the rest of the day successfully. trying my best to avoid WTH effect and i know if i can do that then i have been successful even if they day is over all red, the day would be green for not doing WTH.

will update you later.

also my goals for this weekend is to not be an idiot. i think i can do this. i can allow myself a snack or something and not be a total idiot by overindulging. i'd say my main goal for july is to not be an idiot most days. just eat my 3 meals and move on. sometimes i'm not even hungry, i just want more. it doesn't even make sense to eat sometimes but i do it anyway. got to put a lid on that behavior. so that is my goal for july. even if i mess up, stopping the craziness.

MJ7910

Post by MJ7910 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:45 am

update

6/30 lost my dog to cancer - total fail that day, obviously... but it was an S day so not sure if it was a total fail just felt like i was out of control.
7/1 another S day so i guess ok
7/2 fail
7/3 fail
7/4 (today) S day... because of independence day

really want to start fresh tomorrow. i think losing my dog affected me a lot. all i wanted to do was comfort myself with food of course. bad few days. but i'm ready to try to face this pain without stuffing my face. i really do want to lose 10 more lbs and i need to do it this summer and keep it off. i think this is the only way to do it.

MJ7910

Post by MJ7910 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:00 am

7/5/12 - Success today

MJ7910

Post by MJ7910 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:45 am

7/6 - success
7/7 - s day and not a bad one
7/8 - good s day, not crazy
7/9 - not great but counting as a success because i saved it from turning into WTH effect.

so far not bad since 7/4. getting back into this. and haven't overeaten since june.

Jennifer24747

Post by Jennifer24747 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:32 pm

Yay for not overeating!! Always feels good to wake up in the morning after NOT overeating...always!
Discovered NoS April 25, 2012!
SW: 157
CW: 156
GW: 140-145

MJ7910

Post by MJ7910 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:43 pm

I totally Agree!! Feels great to not have that bloated feeling

7/10 - Success again. Bad habits tried to start but I stopped them

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:47 pm

Don't know how I missed your posts all the way back to June, but I had. I also just returned from a 4-day trip.

I very much want to encourage you to try to drop deadlines from your thinking. I know that's hard to do and might seem counterintuitive but I gently observe that you sound like you want the struggle over with yesterday, no? If you have been a binge eater and not just gotten yourself used to simple overeating, the process will likely take longer. I saw awhile back that you said if you can do three weeks of Vanilla No S, you will consider phase one mastered and can move on to mods of S days. I can tell you from 2.5 years on this board that you would be hard pressed to find a long-termer who would agree with you. I am crappy at searching on this site, but the recommendations are MONTHS of compliance before messing with mods for S days.

I also encourage you not to weigh at all until you've had a month of 100% compliance with Vanilla No S. Try to remember that most normal weight people throughout the world do not know what they weigh.

Changing eating habits is considered by researchers on habit change to be one of the top three toughest areas to be successful in and the others are bona fide drugs, so be patient. If anything, think about being "tough" on yourself BEFORE you eat an S on an N day, but gentle afterwards. Being gentle does not include saying, When will I learn? You will learn when you do.

The only way to learn to eat moderate portions of any food is to do it. It may help to have periodic abstinence (N days) but it will not guarantee that you will not desire more of the food when you have it. You will sometimes have to stop at a moderate portion before you feel you've had "enough." Over time, it will become more comfortable to have just a moderate portion and be content. Really!
Last edited by oolala53 on Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

MJ7910

Post by MJ7910 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:43 pm

wow i have been away for a long time!

7/11 to 7/18 were mildly successful. there were times i wanted to binge but i managed to not do it. there were times taht i overate but none of them got into crazy proportions. so i consider that a success!

taking oolala53's advice and just going with this for a while trying to do the best. i'm thinkign about "deadlines" in my thinking and i do tend to do that a lot. i jsut want things solved and over with and life just doesn't work that way. Right now the first goal is to get past binging. once i feel like i can do that successfully then i can do more of the No S rules, like the one plate a day 3 meals a day. right now if i can just rein in overeating i shoudl be able to handle more structure.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:56 pm

I did find that committing to three meals a day helped me stop my bingeing, which was my first issue as well, though my weekends could be wild. I find that it's the random decisions to eat that are problematic. They tend to come from fake hunger and vague needs and thus rarely feel fulfilling. Alternately, perhaps having limited snacks at relatively planned times would help.

Or play it by ear, as you are. Anything you actually stick to has value. It's the adherence to any reasonable habit that helps.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

MJ7910

Post by MJ7910 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:51 am

I've had some good weeks now.. 7/19 to 7/28 have all been successful. i feel pretty good about this now.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:25 am

Kudos!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

MJ7910

First day back

Post by MJ7910 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:14 pm

Wow it's been quite a while but I'm ready to do this again. I know 3 meals a day is the answer. every time i try to go back to letting myself have "a little of this for a snack" i end up overdoing it, going way over what i wanted to eat and thrown off another day. so today is the first day and i'm not overthinking this anymore. i don't plan on counting calories, i tried using myfitnesspal and i found it so restricting. i want to modify my diet a little but that doesn't mean i have to track everything. 3 meals a day. that's it. no snacks. no sweets. no seconds.
in the past my weekends got a little out of control but i will try to make this first one not like that. by then, i hope that by next weekend i will have good enough habits started that i can do an S day weekend. But i have been indulging myself so much that I"m not sure we can make saturday very good if i let myself give in to everything. so not saying I won't make it an S day but it may just be some small little treat or snack or something like that. as long as i don't feel like a crazy person eating "whatever i want"

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:02 pm

S day doesn't mean eating S's all day. It can mean just ONE. Even if you end up not having any, it's still an S day because they are allowed.

Glad you're back. It really is a smart way to limit food in this culture. Just save your appetite for those delicious meals!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

MJ7910

thanks

Post by MJ7910 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:04 am

thanks for the encouragement oolala53. sounds like you have had some successful weight loss this past few months. i would love to have some weight loss happen again but i know i have to actually work hard at this and not just let whatever happen. today went ok, i did actually have a small treat with dinner but it was a smart ones turtle dessert so i guess that's ok for my first day. at least i stopped after i had that. usually my problem is one thing leads to another. we'll see how tomorrow goes. after this weekend will be getting rid of the evening treat for real on the weekdays. you're right about saturday and sunday don't have to be ALL S days. i guess that's how i need to think about it. the option is there but i don't have to take it.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:06 am

Definitely make your meals something to look forward to. I would err on the side of having them be very attractive to justify not including sweets, seconds, or snacks in between. There aren't any bad meals for at least three months. And no good reasons to eat except breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

This is a process of something between retraining and rediscovering a natural appetite for the right amount of food for you.

I highly recommend looking at this link by Ellyn Satter, a professional nutritionist who has worked with families to guide feeding children for decades. She has a perspective which No S fits pretty well. I came to her late, but she reinforces everything I feel I've learned through experience. It really does work not to be in a hurry.

Remember that you can have beverages if you're really starved before a meal. I've definitely used milk a lot over the years, and I've allowed myself a cup of plain broth while making dinner to help keep me in line.

I'm excited for you!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

MJ7910

Post by MJ7910 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:50 am

http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=9175

Started over...just felt necessary to make a fresh start