Deb's Check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:23 am

I had a great day today! If I make it through tonight with no midnight or 3 am raids, it will be my first NoS success in a while.
Just had a huge bowl of oatmeal with soymilk, butter, walnuts and raisins, and a spoonful of maple syrup for dinner and I am full!!!
So hopefully I will go into a carbohydrate induced slumber and stay there! LOL

Good day today too for me and my new friend, who's birthday it was today.
Very warm and lovely email exchanges.
I'm very glad about this and hope it continues! :)

Bless all NoS'sers :wink:
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:02 pm

Oh well, I messed up again about 1 am.. Had a pomegranate and about 15 wheat thins :evil:
I was pretty close to a success tho, so I still consider things improving! :wink:

It will be very nice when I can kick this habit.

Bless
8) Debs x

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:53 pm

Okay!! I just did my first exercise session after two months off because I was sick. What a great feeling to get my heart pumping again!!
Wooooo!!!!!!!!!
I am setting a goal now of a minimum of 14 mins a day exercise even if it means walking in circles in my room to music, if that's all I'm up to...

Today I danced for 14 mins straight.
I will keep this up for at least a month before I add anything else into the picture.
Feels great!! :D
Peace and Love to all!
8) Debs

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:59 pm

ps.. what a great feeling to be able to put a green box on exercise after having to endure looking at all the failure and sick days I've had for the past few months!!

Just for clarification, as long as I do any exercise for a min of 14 mins per day, I am giving myself a green.. Don't wanna change my tags quite yet.
If I end up doing Urban Ranger too, I will get 2 green boxes.. otherwise i'm allowed a yellow as long as the primary 14 mins of exercise is fullfilled, and vice versa.. if i UR and don't bellydance, that's okay..
I need to baby step myself back into *DAILY* movement.

8) Debs

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:43 am

I am setting a goal now of a minimum of 14 mins a day exercise even if it means walking in circles in my room to music, if that's all I'm up to...
Way to go, Debs -think I'll follow your example...
Fun
x

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:07 am

Thanks Fun! :wink:
Hope you're well!
Debs x

3aday

Post by 3aday » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:10 pm

Hi Deb,
Walking in circles in your room for 14 minutes is soooo good for you!
Your blood and oxygen circulate through your entire body!
14 minutes is almost a mile!
I am a huge Leslie Sansone fan.
On her home page there is a free one mile walk on streaming video.
I do that in my bedroom at night and it only takes 16 minutes!
They are four basic moves: marching in place, side steps, kicks and knee lifts. The things that take up the most room are double sided steps but I keep to singles in one place because I don't have much extra room in my tiny bedroom.
Work is so crazy right now, it gets dark early, the holiday season....
I don't have time for long workouts.
But, I can always do a mile in my bedroom to keep me consistent.
It makes me feel better and I know you will feel better too!
Some nights I just do sidesteps in place during commercials.
Love,
Becky

Also on youtube, she has a 3 minute and a 5 minute walk.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:20 pm

Aaah Becky, you have always been so nice! Thanx so much!! :wink:

Richie and I had a great day yesterday!
Totally enjoyed his company!
Neither of us eat Turkey, so we skipped it..
The big fun for the day was making a home made crumb cake!
Richie did most of it, but I helped eat it!

It was a very nice day :D
Have a good weekend friends!
8) Debs x

3aday

Post by 3aday » Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:25 pm

I don't eat turkey either!
Glad you guys had a nice Thanksgiving.
Can you ship a piece of that crumb cake down to FL?
Thanks.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:27 pm

Hahah!! Sorry, it's long gone!! :wink:
Take care Becky 8)

3aday

Post by 3aday » Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:57 pm

My life is over! Ahhhh! :wink:

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:50 pm

Hahahahhahaaa!! :P

I'll post the recipe sometime this weekend.
Really easy and minimal ingredients.
We are gonna make two more tomorrow.. One for us, and one for my Son's youth center "post" Thanksgiving communal shindig :wink:
8) Debs x

3aday

Post by 3aday » Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:02 pm

Hey Deb,
Do you like bananas?
Maybe you can bring a glass of water and a banana or two to your bedroom at night so when you do get the urge to eat something it will be really good for you.
Perhaps you can count that as a 4th meal and still be No S compliant...with 3 meals and a mini meal at night.

I have been having lots of insomnia lately due to my medication. And, when I wake up in the middle of the night, I am really really hungry. But, luckily, I really don't keep anything to snack on in the apartment. However, this morning after being up for hours, at 6am, I finally caved in and decided to just have breakfast. So, I had a piece of pumpkin pie and a banana. I watched more TV and went back to bed and fell asleep. I don't know if eating helped me go back to sleep or if I was just plain exhausted after being up most of the night, but it got me thinking about your posts....It's just a suggestion.

The longer I have been on this board I see how other people modify No S and it works for them. Instead of fighting it and experiencing guilt or frustration, maybe this is a pattern of No S that can work for you in the long run.

I got this from the internet: Bananas are rich in vitamin B6 and they are a good source of fiber, vitamin C, magnesium and potassium. Lack of B6 in a diet can cause weakness, irritability and insomnia. The potassium found in bananas helps to regulate blood pressure and may reduce the risk of high blood pressure and stroke. Potassium is also essential for helping muscles to contract properly during exercise and reduces cramping up. A medium-sized banana provides 400 mg of potassium -11% of daily value- and contains 110 calories and 4 grams of fiber. Bananas also contain plenty of carbohydrates which are the body's main source of energy. They are also easy to digest.
Because of their great taste, they can also serve as a substitute for sweets and satisfy sugar cravings.
Research also shows that serotonin and norepinephrine in bananas may naturally help sufferers overcome depression. They are the good mood food.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:29 pm

Hi Becky!
Hahah you're such a sweetie! Thank you very much! LOL :wink:

Yeah, I love bananas! I do enjoy them as part of a meal :)
But I am telling you, if I eat *anything* past say, 10 pm, even if it's a half a cup of frozen grapes or a small salad, or really anything, no matter *how* healthy it is, it keeps me from losing weight.
It sits there in my stomach and totally interferes with my ability to burn fat.
I have tracked my patterns for years now, and the only times I successfully lose weight at this point is if I don't eat in the middle of the night, and usually I have to also add some exercise.
No biggie. I am determined to learn to do this, even if it's hard. It's a habit I consider my life long nemesis. I will feel so good about myself when I can overcome it. It's my only sticking point with success here. I don't have a problem with eating sweets during the week and I have really gotten my seconds habit down to about 90% cured at this point.

Sorry about the insomnia! Try learning the inverted poses in Yoga, like shoulder stand, or modified shoulder stand, where you get your legs up on a wall... This is a great help for insomnia as it returns all the blood in the legs back to the inner organs and calms the mind.
Giving Thanks,

8) Debs xx

3aday

Post by 3aday » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:42 pm

I have absolute faith you can overcome this! Really!

Omigosh, shoulder stand? Are you kidding me? I'll kill myself! :wink:

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:19 pm

No you won't! LOL
You can do a modified version simply by putting a mat on the floor, or a thick blanket, and getting up close to a wall, and resting your legs and low back on the wall..
It's not hard to do an unmodified shoulder stand. Just takes a little practice.
Not a headstand! Although those are also good.

http://www.yogapoint.com/info/images/shoulder_stand.jpg

The point is to get your legs above your heart so the blood returns to your core. If you can get your legs up on the wall for just a few minutes a day, it will help with the insomnia.

Thanks for your vote of support Becky!
Love
8) Debs x

3aday

Post by 3aday » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:11 pm

Thanks Deb!
I can do that!
I thought you meant a headstand!
Haha! :o

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:45 am

That's synchronicity for you...Debs I was just checking in before I type in my own blog and I see the yoga discussion here. Last night, my 8-year-old was trying to do headstands - we were visiting extending family. I used to do a lot of yoga, but haven't done it basically since she came. And I've been too big to be able to do much in the last few years - but last night I was trying to show her for the umpteenth millionth time how to do it without becoming a quadraplegic and ended up having a go myself without really thinking about it - and lo and behold, I went up into a headstand!! I don't know which one of us was more surprised. I had just been to my fortnightly meditation class, so I put it down to that - it's more about balance than strength, methinks. But I was blown away and sooo encouraged. So now I want to bring a bit of yoga back into my life. Maybe after my morning meditation....

Anyway, good luck with your 21 days. I was going ok, but ate too much on Friday night (seconds - I'd had a glass of wine - something I should know by now I just can't do) so am starting again today...sigh.

cheers
fun
xx

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:31 am

Ahhhh Fun that's wonderful! Yes synchronicity indeed! hahah!!
Yeah, once you know how to do a headstand it's like riding a bike, and you can do it even after a long time. Definitely about just finding that balance point.
Meanwhile, why not have your eight year old practice right in the corner of a room so she can kick up onto the wall.. Do it in a corner as opposed to a flat wall, this way she will have less of a chance of leaning to one side or another.
I hope you do get back to it Sis!
Me too infact! LOL
Peace,
8) Debs x

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:16 am

I do try to encourage her to do it against a wall, but she is trying to master doing it without a wall...she's naturally very wiry and athletic, the sort of kid who clambers up light poles when you aren't looking to see if they can touch the light at the top... :shock:

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:49 am

Hahah!! That's something I used to do when I was about 6 years old!!! LOL!

Well Bless her, and just show her how to keep her hands and fingers clasped, and her forearms nice and parallel, so they frame her head and create that little tripod.

I can do it without a wall, but initially, my instructor usually has to spot me in front so I don't just flop right over..
Once I'm up, I am cool and can stay up for about thirty seconds or so..

Hope you are having a good day Fun!
Love,
8) Debs

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:05 pm

Hi friends!
I just created a new daily HabitCal for myself.. It sounds silly, but I get so bad about going out in the Winter that I made one specifically for that purpose. I am not even putting a time limit on it. Just named it "Get out in Sun everyday" Once I'm out there, as long as it's not a super freezing day or rainy obviously, I am sure I will soak in as much as I need.
This will help my immune system and drastically reduce my inclination towards depression. Today was exceptionally nice and I made sure to take advantage of it. I didn't even wear a coat. Just stood in the backyard in the sun with sandals and a tank top and my stretchy pants. I think it was almost 50 degrees in the sun.
Depending on my energy (or lack more likely!) I will decide on whether I will use that time to Urban ranger or do some out door Yoga, or just my daily meditation.. I also just created a separate tag for that, meditation..
And my meditation will change from day to day depending on my energy and state of mind etc, as well... Today I did a bit of Qi Gong, and that was very nice.. Also stood in Tadasana and Warrior One Asana for a little while.
Nice!
If my meditation includes any movement, I'm also allowing that to count towards my daily exercise HabitCal, if that's all I have time and energy for on any given day.
Okay hahah I'm sure nobody is looking at my HabitCals but I figured I'd share my ideas.
Had a very important message come to me during this meditation today.
I'm enjoying discovering my Soul's purpose.
Have a great day everyone!
Love,
Debs

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:19 am

Thought I'd see if a link to a pic which I took of myself this evening would work.
8) Debs

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.c ... D=40025738

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:16 pm

Lovely pic, Deb. Getting some regular sunlight is a good idea - I am vitamin D deficient and it is apparently linked with being obese. I used to joke that my vitamin D tablets that I take in the winter are my happy pills - they certainly work like that. :D

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:52 pm

Thanks Fun!!
It's been rainy here a lot this week, so still no outside stuff. I'm so paranoid that I'll get sick again and am *just* feeling better this week, after over 2 months being really ill...
But even getting out to sit in my car is better than being inside, so I will try to do that more. It would definitely help.

Well 4 am this morning I woke up and went downstairs for some juice..
I also had two Israeli cucumbers... Those are the little ones in case people haven't tried them.
Anyway... It could have been some chocolate cos I have a few bags of Hershey's kisses here to send to friends for holiday gifts, but I kept myself from raiding those.. So even though I had the cucumbers, I'm *still* giving myself a success for the day cos it was really almost morning, and I'm just putting those as a virtually plated breakfast.
And mainly, I think in the large scheme of things, if I could keep myself from diving into a bag of chocolate, which I really wanted mind you, lol, and have cucumbers instead, I still deserve a success on HabitCal!

But after dinner later tonight, I have a couple of those kisses waiting for me for dessert :wink:

So today completes my second week on NoS habit and I am thrilled!
I've really learned a lot and feel really proud of myself.

Have a great weekend friends!
Love,

8) Debs x

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:54 pm

well done, Debs!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:25 am

Haha!
Thanks Fun :wink:
Cheers

KAxelrod

Post by KAxelrod » Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:18 am

Wow...Cukes instead of chocolate. Nice work, Debs! Seems like you're on a roll. A good roll. (not a Cinnabon, or anything like that).

Stay healthy. Keep up the amazing work.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:24 am

Hahaha!! Funny, I had a cinnabon this morning!
Also enjoyed a bunch of hersheys kisses too..
Send the rest of the bag off with my Son to his youth center tonight, to donate them to the other kids there :wink:
Thanks a lot!
I do feel very good that my habits are starting to take hold here.
It's getting easier, but those days still come and go..
I even got in my dancing and breathing yoga thingy yesterday.. about twenty minutes of non stop butt shakin :lol:
Have a great evening Karen!
Love,
8) Debs x

3aday

Post by 3aday » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:52 am

You are doing great.
Good for you on the dancing/yoga/booty shaking!
Becky

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:05 pm

Thanks Becky! When I get myself to do this five days a week, I know I'll start seeing some weight loss.. I've been very sedentary this month.
Really gonna make it a priority next week to change that.
Hope you are well!
Have a great day!
8) Debs x

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:50 pm

Hi Deb,

Thanks for popping in on my check-in! Why is it that eating our kids' leftovers so tempting? I don't crave anyone else's! :lol: I'm glad I didn't eat Izzy's though 'cause she asked for it about 5 minutes later!

You're so brave to try and get outside everyday in the winter in Great Neck! I'm not so brave. I am definitely not as hardy as I used to be. My boys snowboard, but I'd rather huddle by the woodstove. We're in the path of lake effect weather from Lake Ontario so we're as cloudy as Seattle...and I miss the sun so much in the winter. By February I'm pretty cranky. I absolutely don't take a minute of warm weather for granted in Upstate New York!

You're doing great Deb....

janie
Nothing worthwhile is ever easy...

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:59 am

Thanks Janie!
Move over please and make some room for me in front of that wood stove!
I really feel like bears are the only "sane" beings during Winter..
Hibernating would be sweet!

Have a nice evening.
I think I'll go look for some firewood tomorrow :wink:
8) Debs

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:29 pm

Deb....come on over...I'll leave a spot right near the front! I'll make hot tea :lol:

Have a great day...janie

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:43 am

Thanks Janie! LOL :)

Well I just wanted to say that I am going to be taking a bit of a breather from posting here. I may lurk a bit and I am definitely keeping my Habit Cals going, but I plan on only posting once every few weeks or so, or maybe even once a month, regarding NoS and exercising.
I want to just get to it and not talk about it much.

I hope everyone here has a very wonderful, happy and healthy New Years!
Love
8) Debs

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:20 pm

Same to you Deb!!!!

janie

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:50 pm

Hi guys. Well, after a whole week last week of failures I am finally back on track this week. I've had three solid N days for both NoS and exercise.. I have only SG'd one time this week, but that was because for the past two days I had massage clients to treat, and I let that be my exercise. Frankly, I have been operating on a little less steam these last few days due to pms and Winter, and doing the massage was pretty much all I could muster those days. I was also being a bit cautious because I was concerned about overworking my shoulder if I did both massage and SG on same day.
My left shoulder has had some tendonitis and a bit of weakness. Not sure why. Probably just over use in general and maybe sleeping on it? I will do SG today and tomorrow tho, cos I have no massages scheduled till Saturday.
I'm so thrilled to be marking Greens down on my calendar, most especially for not eating at night!!!! Yay!!!!!!!!
This morning at about ten minutes to 5:00 I woke up and had a clementine orange. I'm not counting that as a snack, and not counting it as night time eating. At that point I consciously chose to have it and virtual plate it towards my breakfast with Richard at 7:30
Also, I'm very proud of myself as I had a stray Hersheys kiss in my bag, which I saw when I took out my keys yesterday, and was in the process of mindlessly opening up the foil to pop it in my mouth, and I totally stopped myself before it made it to my lips when I remembered that I am trying to be ultra strict and really adhere to the rules on N days.
I tossed it in the toilet instead!
LOL
And as I said in the past. I'm not too sure I trust myself enough yet to *not* be tempted to take it out of the garbage. Sounds awful, but sadly, I've done that before.
Much more fun to flush it!
It's kind of a metaphorical way in which I am making the statement that I am now flushing my bad habits down the drain! :wink:
Bit of a follow up to my Summer experience of tossing stale donuts out my car window, and just as satisfying and empowering! :lol:
Anyway, I'm feeling great that I've rode out those red days and am doing well this week. I believe it's been very helpful to commit with my Son Richard, to the 21 days on Habit! We are both cheering each other on!

:D
Till next time.
Have a great day everyone!
8) Debs

gettnbusy

Post by gettnbusy » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:06 pm

Congrats on avoiding that KISS. Good job Deb!
~I'm still not perfect~
~Sophie~

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:46 pm

Thanks Christi! :)
Great to hear from you!
Hope you and the boys are great!
Love
8) Debs

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:25 pm

Just a note to myself about yesterdays HabitCal..
I had a very hard day yesterday emotionally. Just crying for hours..
I was so close to just chucking it all in and ordering Chinese food, which would have been both out of my budget for this week, and also would have lead to over eating, but I didn't. So I'm very glad to say I was great all day.
But I did wake up at 3 am and ended up in the fridge for some seltzer..
Then while I was there I decided to have some grapes.
I know it's not the crime of the century to have grapes, especially because I only had five of them..
But I want to be crystal clear with myself about changing that life long bad habit, and if I don't acknowledge it when it acts up, I won't really be doing myself any service by just "fluffing over" the event in my mind and rationalising how "it was just five grapes"...
So I gave myself a green for the day, but a red for my separate HabitCal for "No night time eating", because I want to really track how it goes accurately, but I don't think I deserve a total fail for the day because of it.
That would be a bit mean, especially since I had a *HORRIBLE* afternoon and was so sad, and considering all that, it's amazing I didn't go and get Haagen Daaz and Chinese food and cave into emotional eating.
I'm feeling much better today, and fortunately Richie was there for me yesterday and managed to help pick up my spirits!
God Bless him!!!
Gonna be making chocolate chip cookies tomorrow and can't wait to enjoy them with him!!! We totally earned our S's this week!!! :wink:
Have a nice weekend everyone!

8) Debs

gettnbusy

Post by gettnbusy » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:49 am

So glad to hear your words.
So glad that Richie is there for you.
Don't them boys just make your heart melt sometimes?
Mmmmmmm
Good weekend girlie!
~I'm still not perfect~
~Sophie~

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:29 pm

I'm glad he is here too Christi!
Thank you! :D

This week with the extra added help of having Richie be my NoS partner and a much more committed approach to N days, I am very very happy to report I've lost between four and five pounds since when we started!!!!!!!!!!
Woooo hooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
More details soon.
Have a good day friends!!!
8) Debs

gettnbusy

Post by gettnbusy » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:58 am

Enjoy your week No S'er :)
~I'm still not perfect~
~Sophie~

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:21 pm

Thank you Sis! You too! :)

Well this week so far, I have had two nights in a row where I ate past my bedtime and broke my "No eating in the middle of the night" rule. The days were fine, in fact they were NoS perfect up til then.. I could have bs'd myself and called what I ate late as night, virtually plated breakfast, though at 11:30 pm, that would be a very early breakfast! :twisted:
So I'm being honest and just marking two reds for the past two days and moving on.
Today I got an email from my online lovely bloke from England, after not speaking for more than a week. He had to cancel his internet for a while to cut costs, and is going through a tough time now, so I have been both worried and sad cos I missed him, and was very concerned that he's okay..
Retroactively, I'm realising that the night time eating was due to my worries and sadness at not having heard any word from him for that long.. We had been writing almost daily for about 4 months now, so it was a big shock to me I suppose, to just have him disappear, and not know how he was.
So hearing from him today was very comforting, and I think I'll be able to stay green a bit more easily.. I never really thought of myself as an emotional eater, but I suppose this week proved me wrong. It's good to know this tho, as I can now be much more vigilant and proactive to guard against it in the future.
I'm happy to say that I double checked my weight the day after I posted my loss the other day, and it hadn't rebounded.. In fact it was a half pound less.. So I am now down a full 5 lbs in less than two weeks!
It's a great feeling, as before that, for the past four or five months I was slowly but steadily gaining.
8) Debs

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:26 pm

And I should mention that even tho I ate in the middle of the night, which is definitely a habit I want to totally eradicate from my life, when I did eat stuff the last two days, it wasn't very much.. not like a huge "eat three bowls of cereal" type of binge.. So even that habit, is not as bad..
I just don't want to fudge around... Eating an orange at night, or a few slices of cheese or whatever, may not be the worst choice food wise, but it's still eating something.. I want to be very clear with myself that this is not okay, and I have to acknowledge it, even when it's a little "misdemeanor" :wink:

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:18 pm

Okay dusting off my check in to update and post my weight and will come back next week to do it again, as well as posting my habit cal stats for the week.

Right now I have my period, so I am up a bit, and I totally went off the deep end overeating last night after coming home upset from locking myself out of my car and freaking out.

Current weight: 247
I have to say I'm just ashamed as could be for letting myself get this fat again and really sad about it.

8) Debs

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:32 pm

Deb, glad to see you here.

When you look at that weight, instead of feeling ashamed, be proud that you're facing it and doing something about it.

Best,

KCCC

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:48 pm

Had my first walk outside in ages today!
Felt really good and I plan on doing this every day. :wink:
8) Debs

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:31 am

Hi Deb,

The number is not important. What's important is that you're facing up to it & doing something about it, instead of ignoring it.

Good for you for getting out there in the fresh air. Here it's still pretty cold out, but it's getting lighter & lighter every day & I can feel spring is just around the corner.

(((hugs))) and please say Hi also to Ritchie from myself & the boy Steve.
C. xxx
CaroleJo

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:28 pm

Thanks Carolejo! I actually am at the point where the number is a major alarm going off!! Last week I actually hit 249 before I got back on track again.. For a person who is 5 ft 2", that's grossly obese and incredibly unhealthy.. The weight has severely impacted my energy and mood and I'm usually uncomfortable almost all day.. Ask me to go up some stairs that used to be easy, and my knees almost feel like they are gonna blow out.
But yes, I get your point too.. I am doing something about it.
I'm not one of those "I need to lose five pounds for vanity" types okay. I am a good 75-100 pounds overweight, so I'm paying attention to the number for a while. It was so easy to gain that 26 lbs over the course of the year, that I feel if I don't keep tabs on my weight, not every five mins mind you, I could easily gain more.

Thankfully,,,,,
This week I am checking back in to post my progress a bit earlier than I said.
I have had a few slipups, yesterday I took a sick day cos me and Richie have had a virus for a few days, but with two nights of not eating anything and a few days of gentle exercise this week, I am now down to 245 from 249.. so I am quite pleased!! :D
Have a great rest of the week everyone!
8) Debs

Current weight: 245

guadopt1997

Deb's Daily Check-In

Post by guadopt1997 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:06 pm

There's a yahoo group?
Liz
Weight goal: less than I weigh now
Basic goal: doing no-S for life

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:11 pm

Hi Liz,
This board started on yahoo years ago.
Then Reinhard changed the platform, because it really wasn't very efficient in handling this many members and threads.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:11 am

hahah what happened to Liz?? LOL

Anyway,,,,

I hope you all had a nice weekend!

I had a great walk for the first time today in ages and yesterday I did some stretching and meditation for about forty mins in the morning.
So even tho it was the weekend, I finally got into gear with the moving thing!
Yay!!!
Today i think I walked about thirty five or forty mins.
My butt hurt by the end! LOL :lol:

Looking forward to more exercise through the week but it will probably be indoors for the next few days again as the temps are supposed to drop.

Feeling good and focused.
My weight is same as last weigh in.
Hoping for less failures this week and more exercise.
8) Debs

la_loser

Have a good week!

Post by la_loser » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:22 am

Debs,

Hope you have a great week. At least one of these days, spring weather will really be here to stay-instead of just teasing us with it!

Good job on the walk! I've got to get myself moving more too. Planning on wearing my pedometer to work tomorrow and making some extra loops though the building!
LA Loser. . . well on my way to becoming an LA Winner. :lol:

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:30 am

Thanks hun! You too!!
Have a great week!! :D
8) Debs x

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:43 pm

I'm totally pissed off that I ate in the middle of the night last night.
I gained back some of my weight lost from last week. :(

It is *KILLING* my weight loss, and I *KNOW* that and yet I don't seem to be remembering it when I wake up at 2 am.
I'm going to be putting *EVERY OUNCE OF ENERGY IN MY BEING* on not eating after bed.
If any of you knew me from previous years, you'd all know this has been my hardest habit to break.
I think that stepping on the scale and seeing that I lost a little weight, also plays into it, because I think that little bit of success, then lulls me into a more complacent attitude, ... In fact I'm pretty sure of this..
I seem to just get lax and f*ck up with night time eating right after I see I have lost weight.
If I didn't know better, I'd think I was actually trying to sabotage myself with this behaviour, but I really do want to lose weight, and think this is just some kind of messed up pattern I will have to fight very hard to break.
So I am definitely going to avoid weighing more than once a week.
Might even try to stay off the scale for two weeks at a time.
I am not so worried about gaining, as long as I know that I am using Habit Cal to track my NoS, and whether I have eaten at night or not.

Have a nice week everyone!

8) Debs
ps.. in case anyone is wondering, I didn't even really have an S day yesterday, cos I started Friday night.. It's only cos I ate 7 soy chicken nuggets and hot sauce at 1 am, that made me go back up in weight.
Damn it!! :evil:

la_loser

Just say no!

Post by la_loser » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:16 pm

You know the drill...mark it and move on!
We know you KNOW what to do and what NOT to do. . . just think of the NIKE commercial and DO IT!

Is there something else that you can substitute for food at that time? . . . like juice or milk? Or have you tried those Listerine breath strips that you place on your tongue and they melt. . . the cinnamon ones are really strong and take away any thought of putting real food in my mouth. (or at least that USUALLY works!)

Or print a big No S sign and put it on the fridge to stare you in the face when you go in the kitchen!

I could send you the jpg of my No S Cheerleader to print in a larger file!

Come on Debs. Say it with me, I think I can I think I can!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:48 pm

I need one of those cartoon characters to jump out at me and hit me on the head with a huge honking hammer! :wink:
Either that or shackle myself to my bed.
hahah
8) Debs x
thanks LL :mrgreen:

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:58 pm

Actually had a good night last night and when I had the feeling to wander down the stairs at 2 am, or whatever time it was, I just stood in front of the bathroom sink and drank lots of water and brushed my teeth, and rinsed with hydrogen peroxide.

So if I keep this up, then I'll be substituting one bad habit for a very good one and I'll be hopefully whitening my teeth in the process! Wink

Thanks for the encouragement all!
Tomorrow is my Moms Birthday, so we will be having some small slices of cake, so I'm just gonna take it as a special day.
Gotta buy it today and hide it in one of those beer coolers out in the garage, so we can surprise her.. She gets up at 6:30 and there's no *way* I'm getting up before her to run out to the supermarket that early! LOL
But between you and I, I'm going to just have a few bites, cos it's just for the celebrating, not cos I really want cake.
Richie will be thirteen this Sunday and fortunately that's already an S day, so looking forward to that one!
I can't believe this!!
How can I have a teenager???
I still feel about 12 years old sometimes.
LOL
Too surreal!

8) Debs

guadopt1997

Post by guadopt1997 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:00 pm

gratefuldeb67 wrote:hahah what happened to Liz?? LOL

I'm here. Just really busy at work and sometimes I forget where I post what! Thanks for explaining about the yahoo group.
Liz
Weight goal: less than I weigh now
Basic goal: doing no-S for life

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:24 pm

Sure no problem.. I found it kinda funny that you simply wrote "There's a yahoo group" on my thread before, cos it came out of nowhere! LOL
Have a good week Liz and welcome again!
8) Debs

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:08 pm

Had a pretty good week this week, re NoS, and only a few mess ups with night time eating... once I had a bowl of cereal at 4:30 (I think???) and, same time this morning I had 3/4 of a large mango.
We had one extra special day on Wed, being that it was my Mothers birthday. All of us had some cheesecake as a special breakfast and the rest of it was gone by dinner! LOL
I was pretty sick for a few days with a horrible headache/virus, but I didn't use that as an excuse to have S's because I felt like the Birthday was enough.. think, that was one of the days I messed up with the cereal.. But because I didn't feel well, I just did almost no exercise as I was hoping I would.
Still, since I was pretty much on plan, I am now down another 1.5 lbs since last week!!
I'm thrilled!!
Have a great weekend everyone!
8) Debs

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:47 pm

I just had my second really decent walk for the month.
It's so gorgeous out!! :)
I will be so happy when I can whittle myself down to a lighter weight.
The extra weight is causing so much stress for me physically.
I can barely breathe and my stomach and chest and back are all stiff and uncomfortable from it, and my heart ain't all too happy having to pump so hard.
Also, I feel like I'm going to explode around my middle from my stomach.
I'm only three pounds away from my heaviest weight ever, and that was when I was about to go into the hospital to give birth to an 11 pound baby!!
It's funny.. I'm so uncomfortable, I really can understand why people buy into the "quick loss" plans, because it's so bad to feel this heavy, that you just want it to go away immediately!!
Anyway.. i've added Urban ranger to my HabitCal and will be shooting for that everyday. If I don't do it, I still have my "14 mins of any exercise" HabitCal tag, to fall back on, if it's a really bad weather day. But the way I'm gonna mark it, is if I only do Urban Ranger, I will give myself a yellow mark for the generic "14 mins" tag, and if I do something as well, I will give myself 2 green boxes.. one for each tag.. If I don't do anything then, it's red.

Holy mackerel!! I really can't believe how sitting on my ass all Winter has gotten me totally in bad shape, and I'm gonna do everything I can to keep at these good habits till they stick!!
I may just have to create a "Weekday Luddite" rule as well, to insure I'm not sitting around that much. Something like "Only allowed on computer till 11 am and after 4pm", so that the prime hours of the day aren't wasted.
But I'll do that after I get Urban ranger good and solid!

The nice thing about doing the walking, is that it really makes you take notice of how you are feeling physically.
It's very easy to become very complacent when you are sitting around doing nothing all day. This has motivated me to really want to lose the weight so I can feel good. So it's given me more motivation to be ultra strict with NoS and feel good about that cos I know how great I will feel when I'm comfortable and energetic again!

8) Debs

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:32 pm

Last edited by gratefuldeb67 on Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:14 pm

Well, so far this month has been pretty much all failure and S days for holidays and also because I was sick this week.
*ALL* of my failures have been due to middle of the night binging..
I'm so pissed off..
Anyway..
I've got to look at this as the "cup half full" and just say, I've got a whole 15 days left to this month and I'm going to turn this around and get 15 success days!!

Meanwhile, I'm truly going to have to summon up whatever willpower I have left in my being to stop myself from eating every night..
It's so upsetting I haven't done this yet.
I feel like I'm just failing myself and letting myself down. :oops:
I can see how this has turned into a very bad vicious cycle, because the more I do it, the worse I feel, and the less will I seem to have.

I may start posting Success and Failure on my thread as well as my Habit Cal for "No night time eating"...

Have a good day friends.
8) Debs x
Last edited by gratefuldeb67 on Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

la_loser

a couple of things for midnight madness

Post by la_loser » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:59 pm

OK--so I'll bump this one instead and maybe we can make your strict thread fade away!

Considering my preference for multiple HabitCals, I definitely think you might like doing your idea about using it to track your issue.
You could keep (or make if you don't already do it) a Strictly_Speaking_No_S one like I have which is for the real deal.

Then another -- maybe called All_OK_except_for_MID_NIGHT_Munch

That way you will see the specific trend that in waking hours you are doing great. . . and maybe seeing the comparison of the two, it could help you work toward at least finding a way around it.

Another tactic might be to actually PLAN a 4th mini-meal ahead --others have utilized it successfully and although as Blithe pointed out and you responded to. . . the snacking is probably not the real issue. . . IF a small amount food helps, then plan ahead for it. Know when you go to sleep that if necessary you can have some peanut butter and crackers or cheese or something that's not sweet. Put it in a baggie or by your bed. Eat that and nothing more. I just heard on the Today show that warm milk (sounds yuck to me though-so maybe decaf coffee with lots of milk) really does have trytophan (sp?) that encourages sleep-like turkey.

And maybe plan something really tasty for midnight munching for S days.

Have you tried relaxation music or just some really calming classical stuff-with your musical talent and experience, that could really help.

Also have you been checked for sleep apnea? Before I was tested and got my wonderful CPAP several years ago, I used to wake up all night long. . . often to the point that I had to get up and DO something. . . food was not usually the answer but I did have to get up and down. I rarely even get up in the night or even wake now-for any reason, even for the bathroom.

And once 'He' gets the laptop, maybe he can be online early in the morning his time and it will mesh with your hours. I'm wondering--have the midnight munchies been worse since your contact with him has been less frequent? Hmmm. . .

OK--that was long--but maybe something might give you an idea...but most importantly--you need to stop beating yourself up for this--it's just what it is--just don't let it consume you. We're here. Post often!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Hi LA thanks so much!!
I'm just about to go out for a walk, so please forgive me for not answering the questions right now.
I have to get off this computer now.
Will write back later or tomorrow!
Have a great day!
Love,
8) Debs

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:50 pm

Deb,

I too just want to offer my encouragement. You have given so much to this board in terms of support and encouragement. If there was anyone that deserves No S to be a success in their life, it's you!

Flylady has a book called Body Clutter and she deals with some of the emotional aspects of eating. It's been a while since I've looked at it; I think she's in the "healthy snacks" crowd. But that not withstanding, this might be a place to begin investigating some of the things other than habit that might keep you in a place where you don't want to be. This is just one of those "for your consideration" things.

http://flylady.net/pages/body_clutter.asp

I wish you all the best!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:22 pm

Thanks again Blithe!
I really appreciate it and after I wrote you earlier today, I decided to see how much yoga classes would be at my old gym. I ended up deciding just to join and get a full membership!!
It wasn't more than we spend each month on fast food, and I am so happy to now have a place to get out and de-stress at!
My special instructor who I love to death, is still teaching there and I am going to go to two to three classes a week, and on days I don't do yoga, I'll be doing something else, like swimming or some other class.
I weighed on the old scale.. and in two years of being away, I gained 45 lbs.
I'm glad I'll be able to go to my class again and get out of the house!
Have a great day!
8) Debs
ps.. I'll check that link too thanks!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu May 21, 2009 5:33 pm

Hey guys! Just a quick check in to mention that I just had my second weigh in since just about a month ago, at the gym, and I've lost about 3 lbs!!! All of which is pretty much, non gym related! hahah :lol:
Guess all this walking and stair climbing is really having it's benefits!!
Plus, I honestly have been making a good effort on NoS.. I've messed up several times this week, due to a few late night things, so I marked those days as failures, but I was so good during the day, that I guess it's been helping me drop some pounds.

Have a great weekend everyone!
Roll on Summer! :wink:
8) Debs

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Thu May 21, 2009 5:34 pm

Deb, congratulations!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu May 21, 2009 5:37 pm

Thanks Thalia!!
Have a great day!! :D

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:19 am

Hey found my thread!
All the way over on third page down :)
LOL

Well, today was a success up till dinner, in fact I was doing really well... But I waited too late to make dinner and by the time it was made, I was over hungry, so I wound up having seconds.
I'm a little ticked off about that but, I'll just watch that I don't let myself get that hungry again, and make the same mistake.

I'm pleased to say that Richie and I are having much more vegetables and fruit with meals now, at least half the plate..and this morning he told me something wonderful.
He had bought some crisps last night when he was at his youth center, and after having about one third of the bag, he decided to give the rest to someone else. It was so great to hear him say "I feel really proud about something Mom", before he shared with me. I'm glad he's proud of himself because it really takes willpower to not eat something once it's already in your hands. I told him he should be proud!

We're really encouraging each other and it's great!

8) Debs

ps. edit.. I *really* didn't need the second portion.
I'm very over full now.
Next time, I'm getting a large glass of water instead and *WAITING* till the sensation of being full hits me.

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:09 pm

It's good to visit your "daily". I tend to not scroll down too far looking for them.

If I know I'm just about starving when I start to make dinner, I drink water before I even start... that works most of the time, then I make sure I eat extra slow so it hits the full button before I'm done and headed for seconds. :wink:
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

friscobob

Stay With It, Debs!

Post by friscobob » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:44 pm

Just take it one day at a time, and step by step the job will be done!
Health Is The Greatest Wealth!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:25 pm

Thanks Rene and Bob! :wink:

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:25 pm

Hi guys :)
So I had a pretty off balance July for both NoS and not too regular with the exercise, but it seems I've been good enough to still make some headway.
I weighed in on the gym scale today after not being on it for almost a month, and I am now down another one or two pounds.
I say, one or two, because the last time and this time, the scale gave me a few different results within a two pound range, up or down.
But compared to the lower number last time and this time, I'm down one pound.
So that makes my total since the beginning of May, 13 pounds lost so far!
I'm really pleased about it :)
Then I went to yoga, and stayed for an hour, of the ninety minute class, but had to stop at that point because I just felt I did enough and was really getting tired.
I'd rather increase the frequency of my workouts than the intensity, and by not overdoing anything, I'm more likely to keep going back and making it (insert whatever exercise) become a daily thing.
I can already see some pretty nice improvement in my appearance from May, and even my Son mentioned yesterday that he thought my stomach looked a lot slimmer. :D
I'm not gonna weigh again for another two months. I'm hoping that this keeps me motivated to simply stick to my good habit building. I know that if I do what I should, the weight *always* comes off.
Hope everyone has a great weekend :)
8) Debs

bluebunny27

Post by bluebunny27 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:46 am

Sounds like you are doing alright, losing weight and feeling good !

Actually regarding your work outs, it is usually better to train with more intensity and shorten the work outs ... of course this depends on your fitness level and what you can handle but you get more benefits training really hard for 20 minutes for example rather than doing it at a more relaxed pace for twice or even three times that long.

Working out with more intensity is harder of course but you can get out of the gym 2-3 times faster too and you keep on burning calories later on too even when you are not exercising ... the 'afterburn' ... Working out at a more relaxed pace is still good of course but when you push yourself harder, you get more out of the work out even if it didn't last half as long.

Yoga, Pilates ... for example, those types of work out take a lot of time compared to interval training where you get everything done in 40 minutes or even less ... 25 minutes then you have the rest of the day 'off' ...
I like that. (This is not for everybody though, cos' it's pretty hard. I come home with my t-shirt soaked all the way through front and back every time I do that,
40 minutes today running intervals and doing calisthenic exercises in the sun.)

Anyway, it's an option to consider, when you want to shorten your work outs ... you can gradually start increasing the intensity and decreasing the duration...

Cheers !

Marc ;-)

Disclaimer : I am following a more extreme version of the 'No-S' diet.
I made my own personal modifications to the original plan (Diet & Exercise)
What I am doing should not be misinterpreted as being a typical 'No-S' diet experience.
11/01/2008 : 280.0 pounds
08/01/2009 : 206.0 pounds
( 9 months / -74.0 pounds )
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Goal : 11/01/2009 : 190.0 pounds ( 1 year / -90.0 pounds )

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:33 am

Thanks Marc :)
8) Debs

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:10 pm

Hey all, well it turns out that I was so wiped out and couldn't get through my yoga class for a reason other than just not being ready for that amount of exercise... I'm sick now :(
I was feeling very tired for a few days before it hit me, but I have officially got a cold and some sinus infection.
So I'm not sure if I will need anything extra to cope with this, but I'm gonna *try* and stick to N day rules, with the emergency clause that if I feel I really need something extra, like extra juice or fruit or soup, I'll allow that.
I'm gonna try very hard to not make being sick an excuse to have candy tho.. We'll see how it goes.
On a nice note, I am proud that we had some stuff last night, junk food, that I didn't end up finishing, when in the past I'd have it all, *and some*...
I actually didn't *want* to have too much and stopped when I felt I had my urge for that food satisfied. Really a nice feeling!
In addition, I'm finding that I can go for longer times without being bothered by hunger, and smaller amounts are doing the trick at meal times..
Not "diet style" downsizing at all, but I'm just noticing that I have a few extra bites left on my plate, by the time I feel full and satisfied.
It's a great feeling that it's just happening naturally.
I've also been having much more moderate S days these days, by choice. My slow weight loss has been enough to keep my motivated.

I just feel like I'm slowly, but surely building up steam here and really feel powerful about it.

Have a good week guys!
8) Debs

Vigilant2010

Post by Vigilant2010 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:31 pm

All this sounds wonderful, Deb! Hope you feel better soon. And yes, remember the sick day clause and keep yourself hydrated, even if that means juice or something.
Blogging my way to a healthier lifestyle at http://www.21days-at-a-time.blogspot.com

Bushranger

Post by Bushranger » Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:44 am

You are doing really awesome Deb. That weight loss is great and your fitness must be showing now since you are recovering quicker than you expected between exercise classes. As always, everyone here is behind you.

Just a quick note on intervals and HIIT verse steady state cardio (ie: walking). Intervals and HIIT are not the bees-knees that so many advocates like to claim. They are great for sure, but a lot of the support behind them being so much better is flawed and the implied margin of improvement is not backed up with solid research which seems to indicate a much closer margin of difference.

Steady state cardio for 20+ minutes in the correct heart rate zones also builds collateral blood supply in the coronary arteries in a way that intervals and HIIT does not. The final link I posted below has an excellent list of the physiological differences that occur with the different training methods.

They are both useful training methods for fitness and fat loss. Fat loss alone the intervals and HIIT probably has a slight advantage, but it's not the huge gap most people have been convinced of.

Finally, if you are not physically fit enough for intervals and HIIT you could literally kill yourself by over exertion. Similar to plyometrics, these are not really for beginners or sedentary people and are something to work towards as part of a balanced fitness and fat loss program incorporating both methods.

These links provide some excellent information and the subsequent links inside the articles delve even deeper if interested.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-lo ... usion.html

http://www.fitwatch.com/bodybuilding-we ... t-312.html

http://www.malepatternfitness.com/2009/ ... ate-cardio

http://foodfithealth.com/blog/aerobic-f ... ditioning/

http://foodfithealth.com/blog/steady-st ... -training/

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:59 pm

Thanks Vigilant and Bushranger! I am writing from the library, but hope to have my home service up in the next day or so... it's really frustrating!!
I'll update then.
Just quickly tho, I didn't get to read the articles yet about training, but will, but just to clarify, the interval training was not something I was considering even tho Marc likes doing this.. It's not for me and I wouldn't find it very pleasurable. I'm not fast anymore (never was actually!! haha)
I may have an ear infection now, and think it's time to go to the doctors since my breathing is belabored and I am exhausted and my ears hurt.
Usually I like to give things a few weeks before I consider meds, but I'm gonna call today or tomorrow and hopefully get a check up scheduled soon.
Thanks for the support guys!
Have a nice day :)
8) Debs

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:23 pm

Well I guess I'll update here, although not with news I'm too happy about.
I have had a terrible week or two. It started with being sick, not having my internet connection for about a week till this Tuesday, and then morphed into one of the most emotionally draining and upsetting weeks, due to some personal things which are happening (or to be more accurate *not* happening) in my life now. :(
So I'm afraid to say that for the whole last week I've been totally awol from my HabitCals and know I've put on at least three pounds if not more, over the past two weeks, due to extreme sadness and stress.. I tossed most exercise as well sadly.
Today I'm back on the saddle tho, and it's funny, and very surprising, that I felt as if I hadn't checked my HabitCal for a month, and when I looked back and saw it's only been about a week. I put failures for NoS and Exercise except on S days, just assuming they were failures, and I left my "No eating at night" HabitCal, blank, because honestly, I can't remember past last night, how I did. It's a total blur.
Regardless of how I feel and whether I fail or not, I am going to mark my HabitCal's everyday. I am also going to start in September, with a small pocket sized daily minder type calendar, which I will mark once a week, based on my online HabitCal's, with Green and Red marker. If I end up having problems with my connection ever again, I'll at least have a running hard copy backup at home.
Even seeing a whole week of red days, makes me feel better than nothing. That not seeing anything, really put me through a psychological hoop, as if I had completely thrown in the towel. Very disheartening.
It's a bit like being in denial too.
If I am at least marking my calendar, it's a sign that I'm not giving up, just in a slump of some sort, and hopefully a short one.

I did a little dumbbells this morning and a few crunches and I'm forcing myself out the house pretty soon, to do some laundry (which has for the first time in months of being good, started to pile up) I have my period next weekend, so I'm just glad that I've got back on board today, because between pms, and normal water retention/mood problems etc, I think being off track with NoS would totally make this week hell.
Gonna really try to up my water and eat lots of healthy food this week and stay away from processed stuff as much as possible.

Have a good weekend friends.
Hopefully I'll have a more upbeat post sometime in the near future.
Glad to have a nice group of people I can trust, to share with.
Thanks for listening!

8) Debs

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:27 pm

Okay, I'm relieved to find out, after checking in on the scale when over at moms house doing laundry, that I've only gone up about a pound since last weigh in. That must mean that even tho I felt horrible last week, my behaviour must have been somewhat better than I thought.
Phew!!! I was really expecting to see three or four pounds up.
Glad I checked!
8) Debs

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:07 am

HI Debs,
So nice to see you are still here - and some of the other old names - KCC, Wosness, Janie, etc.
Well done with sticking with NoS even though it sounds like you have had a trying time of it lately. I fell off the wagon in China (we were there for some months) but am keen to get back to some regular good habits now we are home again.
Cheers
Fun
xx

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:04 am

Debs,

Can you settle on one habit that you will follow with perfect compliance? I think that will help you. You seem to be doing so many things at once. If nighttime eating is such a problem for you, maybe you can start with just not having anything to eat after dinner (with S Day exceptions, of course). After a month of doing that, you could add new habits.

I remember someone telling me once to do the minimum. It sounds pathetic to do the minimum, but sometimes it is better to do the minimum perfectly than to strive for more and fail. That's not how I was brought up. I was told "Not failure, but low aim, is crime." Well, in the case of dieting, I've had lots of high aim and failure, so I'm tr;ying for low aim and success!

Kathleen

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:25 pm

Thanks Fun!! Glad you are back and good luck getting back on track since China! Hope the trip was great!
Kathleen, thanks :)
I am actually *not* doing so many things at once.
Just trying to do NoS and 14 mins of *some* exercise, every day.
The third Habit Cal, isn't another habit, but part of the NoS habit.. I just like to see where my failures are occurring. The reason is, if I eat at night I just don't lose *anything*.. I almost would rather have failures all week on NoS during the day, than at night.
I'm actually trying to do what you described in your post, so I'm not sure why you think there are more habits I'm trying to accomplish.. maybe I wasn't very clear in my previous posts.

I too agree to set small, realistic and achievable habit goals.. I don't think it's "not setting your sights high" in fact, to be able to do these regular, minimalistic goals, strictly, basically with *no set endpoint* in sight, and have consistent success with them *IS* in it's own way, aiming very high.
Anyway, thanks for caring! :D
I'm coming out of my slump, so things should improve all around! :wink:
8) Debs x

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:29 am

I may be headed into a slump, so it may be a bad time for me to comment. How about just focusing for a time on no eating after dinner?
Kathleen

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:03 pm

Hey Kathleen, I meant a slump because I was depressed.
Hope you can shake yourself up soon.
I'm sure you will lose weight here, but accept that it's really gonna be a bit slow. A healthy rate of loss, unlike what almost *all* diets set people up to aim for, is only about 20 pounds a year or so.

Anyway, I'm very happy, because after almost a whole month of reds and yellows for NoS, exercise, and no eating at night, I finally had my first all across the board GREEN DAY!!!
I'm so happy!!
Onward!!! :wink:
8) Debs

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:30 pm

Just noting that because of my period which started today, and probably tomorrow as well, I'm taking S days for exercise. I walked around a bit today in the heat. Was scorching.. But I'm not taking an S day for NoS.. Though Chocolate and cool frappucino/coolata/slurpee type S's sounded reaaally good today!!
Richie actually persuaded me to stay on track and not get them!
Lucky me to have such a good supporter around!
Okay back to being horizontal again. :wink:
8) Debs

mimi

Post by mimi » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:27 am

You gotta love that little guy! Good for you! It's hot here too!
BTW, I think about and try doing some kind of exercising now, thanks to your recent thread, while watching the TV!

Mimi :D
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:07 am

Hi Mimi!! :)
I do love him!!!
Sorry I didn't see the reply sooner. There wasn't any marker on my thread..
Yeah, give it a try!!
I took a break for the past two days, because I can't do anything much, except *slow* walking, during the first few days of my period, but will be at it again, jumping around and dancing like a loonie in front of some show, come Monday! :P
Have a great weekend!
8) Debs

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:43 pm

I'm realising that my lack of income is really impacting my ability to get more of the foods I'd like to eat, namely fresh fruit and vegetables..
Got an interview this Tuesday for a job in a wellness center.
I really hope it works out!! Being home most of the day hasn't been good for me.
I've been so depressed and stressed, and it's really been badly affecting my desire and ability to stay focused on exercise and diet.
Also, I am sure that sitting on my ass here at the computer has been badly affecting me. So I may just try to instill a daytime Luddite system.
Maybe, only allow certain hours for a limited time in the morning, and then get off by a certain time.
Okay, just venting a little bit.
Hopefully I'll turn things around this week. It's been a pretty "red" month so far. :roll:
Have a nice weekend guys!

8) Debs

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:10 am

Good luck with the Job interview Debs. Have everything crossed for you.
Fun.
x

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:26 am

Thanks Fun!!!! :D
8) Debs x

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:21 pm

I'm on a roll!! :D

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:33 pm

Woooooo!!! I had a really good week in terms of habit, and also results!!!
I've had an all green week since last post, with one red for night time eating, but that was already into the weekend, so I'm not counting it as a NoS failure for the day.. I just still want to track those occurrences whenever they happen because this is a crucial factor in whether I lose weight or not...
I've done 14 mins every day (including weekend, cos I'm enjoying it) of dumb bells and squats and jogging in place, dancing, etc..., and I'm happy to say that I'm down 3/4 of an inch from both my waist and from my bellybutton area (the fattest part of my abdomen) aaaannd,,,, down 1/2 inch from each of my arms!!! I'm extremely happy about this!!!!
At this rate, I may be down 2 or more inches by the end of the month!!!
I'm feeling very motivated to stick to it!!!! :D
Enjoy the rest of the weekend all!!!!
8) Debs

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:52 pm

Deb,

YEAH for you!!! You definitely ARE on a roll & a great one at that!

You're doing great!!!

janie

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:28 pm

Thanks Janie!!!
Hugs :)
8) Debs