gk's daily progress

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

gk

gk's daily progress

Post by gk » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:07 am

Here I go again! (See thread "I'm Back" posted yesterday.)

MONDAY

Food - SUCCESS

Water - 8 glasses! (This is huge - I could live in a desert and be content.)

Exercise - Housework (I'm 40 but my feet think they're 80 (bilateral plantar fasciitis). Will keep as active as my feet will let me. Working on a treatment and hopefully will be able to resume normal exercise by end of summer.

Well, this is encouraging! I haven't been able to get through Day One without cheating in literally a month. Woo hoo!! :D
SW (as of 3/25/13): 172 lbs.
CW: 171 lbs.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:24 am

Way to go! It feels so good to get that first green day down...

gk

Post by gk » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:56 pm

TUESDAY, WEDNESDAY, THURSDAY - all GREEN!

I haven't been this successful in eons. I don't know if my sudden willpower is a coincidence or not, but one thing I have been doing is a little trick I picked up from Self Magazine ---- Instead of looking at food and saying to myself, "I can't have that.", I tell myself, I don't want that." I look at food as though that's just not something I'm interested in anymore. (Oh, the mind games we play.)

Technically, I could've had a treat on Wednesday, it being a holiday and all, but I didn't want one, so I didn't have one. :!:

My portions have been drastically cut lately (which makes them normal portions, compared to my usual overeating.) I actually have to force myself to eat now, as my appetite is gone. WEIRD.

Exercise: Been very busy with packing, camping, cleaning, etc., so I feel like I've been very physically active even though I haven't done any official exercise. Feet, shoulder and arm are hurting, but plugging on through.

Water: That's the only thing I've been lacking on. Should really drink more, but when I'm not at home, I don't seem to do as well.

Hope this lucky streak continues!

gk

Post by gk » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:22 am

FRIDAY - GREEN
S DAYS - more than one treat, but no bingeing - kept it under control
Monday - GREEN

My appetite returned (as I knew it would), but I'm keeping things in check - without obsessing.

Went shopping - bought lots of clothes (about 5 years overdue). No more waiting for the "perfect weight" to happen. Life is happening now! (And with that better attitude, it was actually......fun!)

Things are looking up! :)

gk

Post by gk » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:44 pm

TUESDAY - S Day

No rules today - My birthday :D :D :D

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:46 am

Happy birthday a day late!

gk

Post by gk » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:25 am

Thanks r.jean! :)

WEDNESDAY - FAIL

And my streak comes to an end. Just couldn't resist the cookies and candy beckoning to me from the cupboard. Yes, I know I shouldn't have them in the house, but I don't think I should make everyone else in the house go without just because I have no willpower. :?

And so, I'll try again tomorrow. :)

gk

Post by gk » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:20 am

THURSDAY - FAIL

I take each of my kids out for their birthday every year.....a special Mommy & Me Day. We were so busy before that we had to schedule two of them this week to catch up. (I have 4 kids.) They are annual celebrations, so I consider the treat we have an S, but not all of the munching that I've been doing after, so I racked up another Fail today.

Maybe I can squeeze out a Success on Friday, before I have 2 more S days this weekend. (Hmmmm.......this could make for a very slow weight loss.) :)

TUK

Post by TUK » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:15 am

Don't beat yourself up for yesterday. Birthdays are S-days, after all. Get back on track. Give me a good green on Friday :)

gk

Post by gk » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:51 am

Well, I didn't make a green on Friday, but most of the day was good. Friday nights - always a toughie.

As my S days are coming to a close, I can say that I once again didn't stick to my one treat each day rule, but I didn't binge either, so I guess that's somethin.

VERY busy week coming up, which usually makes me throw diet rules out the window. Hopefully, I'll keep a handle on things.

Good luck everyone - let's go for the green. 8)

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:11 am

No bingeing is a feat in and of itself.
Thanks for your comment on my thread...you have four kids? Well this baby will be my 4th...pray I survive! :wink:
Let's have a good week this week! I need more structure. I DO think the afternoon snack may help with the nausea business. Yuck.
Take care.
Liz

gk

Post by gk » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:21 am

Yes, I'm still here. :)

Been gone on vacation or been extra busy with summer plans the past few weeks.

Diet? What diet? Ooops. :oops: But ya know what? I've been eating basically whatever I want, but have been probably twice as active as I normally am. The result? No weight change but no obsessing about dieting every day. Just living life like the rest of my family without constantly thinking about food. Haven't slimmed down any, but love not having that constant thought process go through my head. Almost wonder if the extra 30 lbs. is worth that.

Kinda wonder if I should just make my lifestyle continue to be this active and give up the diet mentality altogether.

That being said, I'll probably gain 10 lbs. next month. :roll: We'll see where this takes me. 40 was not kind to my waistline. I have a feeling 41 won't be any friendlier. :)