Andie's Check In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Andie

Andie's Check In

Post by Andie » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:53 am

After a little gain, and a couple of months of having habits sliding, ready to re-commit and starting a check in thread to help keep me accountable. I've been doing No s for over a year and have lost about 35 pounds, but have stalled for the last 6 months (and gained back almost 10 after 2 months of really bad behavior :oops: ) Time to get back on track! So far I'm only going to track diet, but will be adding exercise tracking next month. I already ride my bike everywhere, have an active job and walk a lot.

I am sticking to vanilla no S, paying special attention to avoid snacking on things at meal time before I sit down (this has been a slippery slope for me). Putting everything on the plate, no virtual plating! No eating standing up!
Today, July 1st: Success!
Back after a long hiatus.

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:56 pm

I so relate to snacking befor I sit down!!!
Good luck!!!!

Andie

Post by Andie » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:24 pm

Thanks snapdragon! Yesterday the third was a success!

Andie

Post by Andie » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:24 pm

I did okay for the rest of the week, except for last night when I snacked on some chips that were left over from our BBQ dinner at night, not very many, but I didn't need them, and I didn't need the red day. Still struggling with putting all of my food on a plate and sitting down before I start to eat.. seems so simple. I guess I've just been in the habit of munching while preparing food for so long, and with no S I'm actually hungrier at meal times, it's just too easy to dilude myself. (for example, I'm cutting cheese off of a block for lunch, oops! this slice is uneven, better eat it! Putting crackers out for soup, eat a couple, etc.)

Andie

Post by Andie » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:48 am

Success today! Three meals on a plate :)

Andie

Post by Andie » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:20 pm

last week was my son's birthday, so had an extra s day, (wednesday). I had a minor red day on thursday, and a major red day on friday. The weekend included a lot of cake, and I did do some solitary snacking in the car on friday. This has to stop! Time to start getting serious about these simple rules, because they won't work for me if I don't! I'm thinking of giving myself a small reward (like some flavoured teas) when I reach 21 green days straight. This week so far has been really good, perfect N days on monday and tuesday. Yesterday I worked a twelve hour shift and had to stay for an extra hour and 15 minutes, and I didn't get a real dinner break (did scarf down my food in five minutes at least). My shift was 8am to 8pm, and when I finally got home at 9:45pm I was beat. In this situation I would usually have some sort of treat, just to comfort myself and relax. My husband had even been processing cherries from our tree and had mad this delicious cherry/red wine sauce (would have been perfect on ice cream) I resisted though! And vowed to try the sauce on the weekend. I love no s! :)

Andie

Post by Andie » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:46 pm

Resurrecting my old check in thread- I've been trying to get back on track for months and failing. I wish it was as easy to build up habits as it is to go back to old ones :(.
Breakfast- Muesli with Kefir and Coffee

Queenie

Post by Queenie » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:09 pm

Welcome, Andie!

Looks like a good start to your day with that breakfast.

Andie

Post by Andie » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:22 am

Thanks Queenie!

Today was a success, Muesli, banana and kefir for breakfast, soup plus a small cold plate of veggies/cottage cheese/turkey for lunch, chicken curry and a banana with peanut butter for dinner. I went to zumba at 6, so I had 7 hours between lunch and supper.. I was worried it would affect my energy but it didn't.