Inspired!

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

BeingGreen

Inspired!

Post by BeingGreen » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:00 pm

Wow. I've been away for a long time. Lots going on personally, lots of sad happenings in my family's life (cancer for my dear sister-in-law and my dear MIL), and the devastating loss of my beloved kitty of 19 years. I am working through my grief and I can see that it is a process and that life does go on. We treasure the memories of a lost loved one and know that they are always with us in our hearts. But it still hurts so much!

Anyway, when we returned home from a visit to see family in LA, I felt inspired to peek in at all of your goings on. Many of the same "faces" of course. Congratulations to all of you who are sticking with it!

I must say that I was most impressed with Kathleen's No S journey for the month of August. Could I have it in me to recommit? To not tweak? To not quit at the first sign of discomfort? To see the big picture and be comfortable with the long term results (whatever they might be)? I am seriously considering getting back on the bandwagon!
Stay tuned :D

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:04 pm

I told my husband that someone was inspired by my story, and he suggested I post a picture of myself and you wouldn't be so inspired! It is important to consider the long term. The short term doesn't look so good for me. I am squeezed into size 18 capris at the moment.
Kathleen

BeingGreen

Post by BeingGreen » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:35 pm

Kathleen-
I think you're being too hard on yourself! I was inspired by your sticking to No S again for as long as three weeks. I'm sorry you've decided to tweak again already though (as I read in your latest posts).
For me, I'm going to take it slow and easy. I'll report back in a few days about how I fared.

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:57 pm

Brianna,
I returned. There is sanity in No S.
Kathleen

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:45 pm

Fresh start! Just do it! I went for over a year, half-way-kinda-not doing this and any other plan that came to mind and gained all of my weight back (26 pounds).
In march I turned 45, hit an all-time high, had a depressing physical, and my son told me I was killing myself, all within the same week. I recommited...

I'm now down 27 since March. Just do it 100%... no cheats!
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

BeingGreen

Post by BeingGreen » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:36 pm

Kathleen and Renee,
I feel encouraged by you both. I will commit. I need some sanity. I don't know how frequent my reporting will be this fall, but know that I'll be doing the No S thing here in Portland!
Brianna