Jammin' Jan's Check-In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:43 pm

Love your story of the coworker and the donuts! :D
5'9 -- Laura --

Started July 23, 2009 -- 246.6
Restart: June 13, 2010 - 241.6
July 18, 2010 -- 235 .... - 11.6 lb loss in ~1 yr.
Back Again: January 13, 2012 -- 242.2 lbs

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:27 pm

Friday: oven-fried fish fillets; cole slaw; broccoli

Gradually I am using up all the items in the cupboard that contain ingredients not natural to home cooking. This is part of my 2010 Pollan Project, which is to get my cooking in line with as many of the suggestions in "Food Rules" as I can. They make sense and they fit well with No-S.

Eat (real) food (not processed, packaged, preserved, manufactured edible foodlike substances.)

Not too much.

Mostly plants.
"Self-denial's a great sweetener of pleasure."
(Patrick McGoohan's "The Prisoner")

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:52 pm

Fixing Red Beans & Rice (can of light red kidney beans, rinsed and drained; some Polish sausage, diced small; cooked brown rice; seasoned with black pepper, garlic & onion powder); leftover veggies from the fridge.

Dessert: daughter's bread pudding. Finally!:lol:

boogbite

Post by boogbite » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:34 pm

wow, i'd never come close to making it through your 1002 posts... but what an inspiration that you've been checking in daily for that long. it makes me really want to strive for 100 days, too. :)

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:39 am

Jammin' Jan wrote:
Dessert: daughter's bread pudding. Finally!:lol:
Was it worth the wait? :D
5'9 -- Laura --

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:37 pm

Oh yes! Not your typical cinnamon roll-in-a-bowl. This was more like a bread custard, very subtle flavors, very rich and smooth, sweet enough to satisfy without excess. Perfect!

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:48 pm

Lunch today: sandwich of white bean spread (mashed white beans, lemon juice, minced garlic, rosemary, thyme, black pepper) on 12-grain bread and a spinach-veggie salad with Italian dressing.

Dinner tonight: soft tacos (refried beans, onion, tomato, salsa) on tortilla; Spanish rice and corn on the side. Husband can add grated cheese to his taco.

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:00 pm

Jammin' Jan wrote:Lunch today: sandwich of white bean spread (mashed white beans, lemon juice, minced garlic, rosemary, thyme, black pepper) on 12-grain bread and a spinach-veggie salad with Italian dressing.
How funny! I came here to thank you for inspiring my dinner last night (red beans, rice, sausage), and see that you've made the white bean dip/spread that you asked about on my thread.

You're one of the threads I cruise when I want some "dinner inspiration." :) Thanks!

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:46 pm

Jammin' Jan wrote:Oh yes! Not your typical cinnamon roll-in-a-bowl. This was more like a bread custard, very subtle flavors, very rich and smooth, sweet enough to satisfy without excess. Perfect!
Yum!
5'9 -- Laura --

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:14 pm

Chicken & Noodles

Cook some noodles. Get some diced cooked chicken. Layer noodles and chicken in a sprayed casserole. Top each layer with some chicken gravy. Top the whole thing with buttered breadcrumbs. Bake uncovered at 350 F for 30 min. Add a veggie or two to the plate. Dinner!
Last edited by Jammin' Jan on Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:55 pm

Kind of a plain dinner tonight: spaghetti mixed with olive oil, minced garlic, and Italian seasoning. Green peas on the side. I'd make garlic toast, but we're out of butter. Also out of bread. Guess that covers it.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:18 pm

Finishing up those soft tacos tonight. Didn't realize I had bought so much stuff!

And it's almost an S-Day...visiting daughter tomorrow. Will she have any goodies for us? Only the Shadow knows...

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:46 pm

Today I did my weekly grocery shopping and I decided to incorporate as many of Michael Pollan's "Food Rules" as possible. Switched to real butter from margarine. Bought organic chicken broth instead of the Swanson stuff. The rest was fresh meat, frozen vegetables, real cheese, whole wheat pasta, and the like.

Pollan says not to buy anything that's advertised on tv, unless you really happen to like it anyway, so I bought a can of Bush's Baked Beans, which is my favorite brand. I was originally going to add hot dogs to it ("Beanie Wienie") but couldn't find any with acceptable ingredients. So I will add ground turkey instead.

The only thing I couldn't get right was the Progresso soups, which my husband likes for his lunchbox, and the spray salad dressing, which he also takes. But he is just using a little on a good-sized spinach and raw veggie salad, so that's not too bad. Just those soups!

Didn't buy packaged bread. More than 5 ingredients, things I don't keep in my cupboard or that a third grader could pronounce. Make my own or do without? We'll see!

I think I spent a little more than usual, but it really wasn't too bad. I'm going to keep going on this project and see if I can work my way through his whole little book this year.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:13 pm

Saturday:

Not too hungry when dinnertime rolled around. Husband was eating leftovers, trying to clear out the fridge before the beginning of a new week and I made myself a really nice grilled cheese sandwich: 12-grain bread spread with real butter, with sliced Colby-Jack cheese inside. Peas on the plate, too.

My S-Day treat yesterday was a one inch square of dark chocolate. Very yummy. Someone gave it to me at work on Wednesday and I accepted it but asked if they would mind if I saved it for later. So I did...much later! It was definitely worth the wait. :D

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:10 pm

Monday dinner: skillet pork chops; garlicky green beans; mashed potato.

Garlicky Green Beans: cook green beans and drain; stir in a spoonful or two of good olive oil and some minced garlic from a jar.
Last edited by Jammin' Jan on Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:32 pm

Tuesday dinner: meatloaf (1 pound ground turkey, 1/2 cups dry bread crumbs, 1 egg, 1 Tbs. tomato paste or ketchup; mix and bake at 350 F. for about an hour), cauliflower; dinner rolls with real butter.

I measured out the contents of a little can of tomato paste as tablespoon blobs. Put them on a cookie sheet to freeze without touching each other, then into a zip bag to store. This lasts me several months.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:41 pm

Dinner on Wednesday: Baked Chicken breasts (sprinkle with Famous Dave's seasoning and some dried minced onion, dot with butter, cover, bake at 425 F. for about 20 minutes, uncover, continue baking for 10 minutes); peas & carrots; dinner roll with butter.

I am enjoying butter so much more than margarine. Also enjoying a little whole milk in my afternoon decaf. Foods that are grown or raised are so much better than foodlike things that are manufactured!

Bought myself a pair of 5 lb. dumbbells today. I have no trouble being faithful to Urban Rangering most days, but I really need to commit to the Shovelglove principle, even if I use dumbbells instead of a sledge.

Happy eating, everybody! :D

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:22 pm

Dinner in a dish: Florentine Pasta

whole wheat penne
sun dried tomatoes
pine nuts
spinach
garlic
fresh mushrooms
olive oil

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:24 am

Jammin' Jan wrote:Dinner in a dish: Florentine Pasta

whole wheat penne
sun dried tomatoes
pine nuts
spinach
garlic
fresh mushrooms
olive oil
Sounds delicious!
5'9 -- Laura --

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:59 pm

We liked it a lot, and the leftovers were good for lunch today, too.

Fish on Friday: Tuna Pot Pie (tuna, cream of mushroom soup, peas and carrots, topped with baking powder biscuts, then baked). Tater tots on the side, but don't tell anyone, please.

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:45 am

Jammin' Jan wrote:We liked it a lot, and the leftovers were good for lunch today, too.

Fish on Friday: Tuna Pot Pie (tuna, cream of mushroom soup, peas and carrots, topped with baking powder biscuts, then baked). Tater tots on the side, but don't tell anyone, please.
Lol! I'm tellin', I'm tellin'! ;)

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:46 pm

After last night's Tater Tots, I thought I should make something nice and healthy for tonight's dinner.

Succotash: frozen lima beans and corn, cooked in organic minimal-ingredient vegetable broth and a little real butter until tender. Uncover and reduce broth until thickened. Served over rice.

Steamed sugar snap peas fill the other half of the plate.

:D

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:27 pm

Little Turkey Roll-ups: prepare some Stovetop Stuffing Mix. Roll up stuffing inside slices of deli turkey. Put in a pan. Top with turkey gravy. Bake to heat. Yummy, but Michael Pollan wouldn't approve.

Serving with fresh aspargus, seasoned with butter and tarragon. Good stuff.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:46 pm

Pork chops tonight. Broccoli and sauteed mushrooms. Nothing fancy.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:00 pm

Thursday: hamburgers; devilled potato salad (potatoes, mayo, yellow prepared mustard, paprika, tabasco); green peas

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:20 am

Friday: Spasagna, cauliflower

My kids used to love it when I made Spasagna. Cook enough spaghetti to feed your clan. Mix in lots of spaghetti sauce. Put half of it in a casserole dish. Add a layer of shredded mozzarella cheese. Put the rest of the pasta and sauce on top. More mozzarella. Sprinkle Parmesan on top of that. Bake until the cheese is melty and a little browned.

Sometimes I use mini lasagna, tonight I used malfada. But it started with spaghetti.

And so ends a perfect vanilla No-S month. I think I've finally got my act together. :D

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:09 am

I was watching Bobby Flay the other day on the food channel and thought his Jerk Chicken with Pineapple and Black Beans & Cilantro looked good. So that's what we're having tonight. And I made my own jerk season, too! :D

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:56 am

Jammin' Jan wrote: And so ends a perfect vanilla No-S month. I think I've finally got my act together. :D
:)

Really sounds as if you do.

Your description of spasagna came at the perfect time for me - I happen to have some spaghettie sauce I need to use up in the fridge. Also a bit of ricotta, so I'll throw that in the layers as well.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:44 am

Pasta Bowl for dinner tonight: bow-tie pasta, pine nuts, artichoke hearts, sun-dried tomatoes, asparagus, in garlic olive oil.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:20 pm

In the crockpot: country-style boneless pork rib meat, sliced onion, rosemary, thyme, garlic, black pepper, and chicken broth. To be served over brown rice, alongside of a veggie of some sort. The house smells so good right now!

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:12 pm

Dinner: homemade Italian sausage patties (ground pork, onion, fennel seed, garlic, sage, whole-grain mustard), veggie, baking powder biscuits

I watched Bobby Flay make this on the Food Network. No nitrates, no nitrates, no high-sodium. Actually no sodium at all, since I didn't add salt to it.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:50 am

Jammin' Jan's Five Cheese Mac & Cheese

8 oz macaroni or penne pasta
1 and 1/2 cups whole milk
3 Tbs. all-purpose flour
3 Tbs. real butter
2 cups Kraft grated Italian 5-cheese (mozzarella, romano, asiago, parmesan, provolone)

Pre-heat oven to 325 F.

Put a pot of water on to boil. When it boils, add the pasta. Cook according to package directions til it's al dente. Drain.

Meanwhile, put the milk and flour into a shaker jar. Shake the lumps out. Pour into a saucepan. Cook and stir until thickened. Add the butter to melt. Add 1 cup cheese. Stir until smooth. Season (optional) with a little garlic salt, onion powder, and black pepper.

Mix the pasta into the sauce.

Butter a 9" pie plate. Pour the pasta and sauce into the plate. Top evenly with the remaining 1 cup cheese.

Bake for 20 min. or so, until the cheese is golden brown.

This, with green beans, was dinner tonight. :D

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:23 pm

Easy Southwest Casserole

1 pound ground beef/ground turkey
1 can corn, drained or 2 cups frozen corn
1 and 1/2 cups chunky salsa
Cheese

Nuke the meat in a covered casserole until done. Drain. Mix in the corn and salsa. Nuke until hot. Top with lots of cheese. I am using a 5 cheese Mexican blend tonight.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:37 am

Salmon Patties: salmon, canned, mushed up; whole wheat breadcrumbs; 2 eggs; onion, garlic, parsley. Mix, make into 6 patties; skillet fry in a little olive oil. Green peas on the side. Michael Pollan would be proud.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:11 pm

Last night I made Chili Beans over Corn Cakes, with green beans on the side.

Corn Cakes:

1/2 cup corn meal
1/2 cup flour
1 Tbs. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup water

Mix and cook on a griddle like pancakes. Top with a can of chili beans and cheese.

Elspeth

Post by Elspeth » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:14 pm

Thanks for posting the recipes, Jan. I might try the Corn Cakes today.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:33 am

Ham with Cranberry Sauce, Brussels sprouts, dinner roll/butter

Ham with Cranberry Sauce

1 slice ham
1 can whole berry cranberry sauce
powdered cloves

Put the ham in a skillet. Sprinkle lightly with cloves. Put the cranberries over all. Heat up. Remove ham and cranberries to a serving platter, leaving the juice in the skillet. Turn heat up and boil the juice, reducing it by half. Pour over the ham and cranberries.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:32 pm

Husband and I will be going meatless for Lent, which begins tomorrow. So I am making a meatless dinner for tonight, so I will have leftovers I can eat for lunch tomorrow.

Tonight: Mac & cheese (from scratch; follows "Food Rules"), green veggie

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:31 pm

Recipe: Creamed Something over Whatever

1 can Cream of Something Soup
1 can tuna/chicken/beef/whatever else you can think of
1 can vegetables, drained and rinsed

Mix and heat. Serve over the starch of your choice (toast, mashed potatoes, noodles, rice)

:wink:

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:53 am

Stuffed Shells:

I cooked 18 Jumbo Shells (a pasta). Mixed a carton of ricotta with a thawed box of chopped broccoli (spinach would work, too), some grated mozzarella and some Parmesan. Stuffed that into the shells. Put some marinara in the bottom of a 9 x13 inch pan. Put the shells into the pan. Cover with lots more marinara and a little more mozzarella (an Italian blend would have been nice, too. Baked at 400 F for about 20 o4 25 min.

Cauliflower filled the other half of my plate.

Very nice dish, and I figured I owed it to my husband after Thursday's Creamed Something over Whatever, which was tuna over toast, as it turned out.

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:36 pm

Jammin' Jan wrote:Recipe: Creamed Something over Whatever

1 can Cream of Something Soup
1 can tuna/chicken/beef/whatever else you can think of
1 can vegetables, drained and rinsed

Mix and heat. Serve over the starch of your choice (toast, mashed potatoes, noodles, rice)

:wink:
Sounds like a "Clara" recipe! :)

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:16 pm

That's funny! I keep meaning to read her book.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:52 pm

Veggie Casserole

1/2 cup couscous
3/4 cup vegetable broth
10 oz box frozen mixed veggies, thawed
1 to 2 cups shredded cheese

Heat the broth to boiling. Stir in couscous. Cover, remove from heat, let stand 5 minutes. Mix in the vegetables and half the cheese. Put into a 2-quart casserole. Cover with the rest of the cheese. Bake uncovered at 350 F for about 20 min.

Doesn't get much easier than this.

Food Rules:

Eat Food. Get a veg broth (chicken broth would work fine, too) without any funny ingredients -- something all natural.

Not too much. No-S rules satisfy this.

Mostly plants. Lots of veggies in this dish, plus I filled up the other half of my plate with cauliflower.

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:11 pm

Jammin' Jan wrote:Veggie Casserole

1/2 cup couscous
3/4 cup vegetable broth
10 oz box frozen mixed veggies, thawed
1 to 2 cups shredded cheese

Heat the broth to boiling. Stir in couscous. Cover, remove from heat, let stand 5 minutes. Mix in the vegetables and half the cheese. Put into a 2-quart casserole. Cover with the rest of the cheese. Bake uncovered at 350 F for about 20 min.

[/quote="Jammin' Jan"]

Yum! This sounds so easy and soOOOO good! I don't have couscous, but I imagine quinoa would work just as well. :)
5'9 -- Laura --

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:50 am

Use any grain, including rice. Also, the veg broth isn't really required. Next time I make this, I think I will just use a little olive oil or butter.

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:49 pm

Hi Jan

It is great to see you still here and posting such fantastic meal ideas.

Hugs

Mo

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:51 pm

Thanks for the kind words! Hope all is well with you. God bless.

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:14 am

All well, Thanks. :P

Still loving No S - and loving it even more by how well it works when you follow it 100%.
Hugs from Sunny South Africa
Vanilla No S with no Sugar due to Health issues - 11 yrs No S - September 2016 (some good, some bad (my own doing) but always the right thing for me!)

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:20 pm

Dinner on Friday: cook linguine. Cook some little red-skinned potatoes. Drain the pasta, add the potatoes, along with pesto and Parmesan and green peas. Mmm-mmm-good!

Broccoli filled the other half of the plate.

Food Rules:

Eat Food -- everthing was from scratch, with no funny stuff.

Not too much -- one plate, no seconds

Mostly plants -- the only non-plant was the 1/2 cup Parmesan

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:15 pm

Jan,

I made your recipe last night with quinoa (cheese, veggies). Instead of butter or veg. broth, I used nutritional yeast. It turned out great!
5'9 -- Laura --

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:25 pm

Sounds wonderful!

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:37 pm

Two things I made for dinner:

On Saturday, it was Boulangerie Beans. I think this is posted somewhere here, but who can find it? One can red beans (or white or pink), drained and rinsed, put into a casserole. Season with salt and pepper and 1/2 tsp thyme. Peel and slice a couple of Russet potatoes, put in overlapping layers on top of the beans. Pour a cup or so of veggie (or chicken) broth on top. Season with a little more salt and pepper and another 1/2 tsp thyme. Dot with butter. Cover and bake 45 min at 350. Uncover and continue baking another 45 min. Original recipe was in Mark Bittman's book, "How to Cook Everything Vegetarian."

Last night I made Succotash (limas and corn) and added some shredded cabbage and veg broth. This was in a saucepan on the stovetop.

Extra vegetables on the side of both.

Food Rules

Eat Food: these ingredients were from fresh, frozen, and canned. Canned was drained and rinsed, so it's pretty good. Got to balance nutrition with cost and time.

Not too much: still struggle with No-S, but these meals were okay in that regard.

Mostly plants: all plants on the plates.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:24 pm

Lunch today was a sandwich: chickpeas, onion, celery, tomatoes, seasoning, on 12-grain bread, with mayo.

Food Rules:

Eat food: the bread and mayo have more than five ingredients and some stuff I don't keep in my cupboard.

Not too much: I had 1 and 1/2 sandwiches and a couple of small chunks of cheese

Mostly plants: eggs in the mayo, plus the cheese, so mostly plants

Overall, my Food Rules project is going pretty well.

And I haven't posted anything about Urban Ranger lately, but it's so much a given, that I just don't think much about it. Even in MN winter, I have managed to walk to work and back. I wish No-S were as easy for me as walking!!!

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:06 am

Dinner on Wednesday:

little red-skinned potatoes, cooked in olive oil, garlic, onion, and oregano; carrots, green beans. Real butter over all. 12-grain bread.

Food Rules

Eat food: it was all food tonight!
Not too much: 1 plate
Mostly plants: butter was the only non-plant

Satisfying dinner.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:22 pm

Killin' time...waiting for Grandson #2 to be born.... :roll:

Elspeth

Post by Elspeth » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:52 pm

Best wishes to you and your family! Enjoy the new arrival!

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:27 pm

Thanks! Still waiting.....................this is one long day.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:40 am

He's here! Precious, and tiny, and perfect in every way.

Tonight's dinner, very simple: spaghetti, mixed with sun-dried tomatoes which have been re-hydrated in olive oil, garlic, and basil. Fruit on the side.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:48 am

I really need to get back to posting here. Not only is the accountability helpful, but it helps me keep track of menus.

My current 100 Day Challenge:

Today is Day 10. I messed up twice with a snack (once the snack was a Girl Scout cookie -- why did I do that??). Otherwise it's been fine. 8 out of 10 days is 80% success, which is a passing score. Coffee with vanilla soymilk has helped a lot between meals.

Last night I made a Chile Relleno Pie for dinner:

Two small cans of whole green chilies (6 chilies, total), each chile stuffed with a piece of Monterey Jack cheese. Put in a greased baking dish. Cover with shredded Mexican-style cheese. Beat 4 eggs; pour over. Bake uncovered at 350 F until browned, about 30 min. Served with corn and Spanish rice, and some tortilla chips on the side to scoop up the homemade salsa that a friend from work gave me. Husband was very pleased (We could live on Tex-Mex foods) and I was satisfied with one plate and no temptation to snack later in the evening.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:29 am

Tonight's dinner: sauteed chopped onion, green pepper, and ham in butter. Stirred in some lima beans and heated through. Served with buttered baby red potatoes, boiled, skins on.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:43 am

Dinner tonight: Buffalo wings, mixed veggies, some assorted leftovers.

Weekend sweet treat: a slice of cherry pie after dinner.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:18 am

Yesterday I ended up working through lunch. I hadn't brought any food with me, so I improvised and it came out okay! No snacks!!! :D

Dinner on Monday evening: Honey-Mustard Baked Chicken, green beans, whole grain bread/butter

Honey-Mustard Chicken

Oven 400 F. Spray a baking pan with non-stick. Mix equal parts dijon mustard and honey. Coat chicken pieces. Roll chicken in seasoned bread crumbs (I used panko). Bake uncovered 30 min. Pour any remaining honey-mustard sauce over the chicken. Bake another 15 min.
Baking times may vary with thicker/thinner pieces of meat.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:31 am

Dinner on Tuesday: baked marinated tofu, vegetables, brown rice.

Hungry later, but just had a cup of decaf with soymilk.

This is so much easier this time around. "Cheese @ Ten" is a great mod, and I now feel like this is natural for me and not forced.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:21 am

Yesterday was the kind of day that has, in the past, caused me to jettison No S and just eat randomly and wantonly.

Breakfast was on time...optimized oatmeal.

Mod on time..."Cheese @ 10." I can't believe what a difference this is making.

Lunch...didn't happen until 2:30, and then there wasn't anything to eat anyway, and I didn't want to spoil my dinner which was going to be early. So I had a couple of pieces of whole grain toast, buttered, and a glass of juice.

Dinner...at 5:00, not overly hungry, but I made a nice meal for hubby and me and ate some of what was on my plate, but not a lot, and I figured I was setting myself up for hunger and snacking later on, but...

Late evening...a cup of decaf with a little soymilk did the trick.

VICTORY!!! I really feel very good about this.

Dinner: spaghetti with artichoke marinara; cauliflower; buttered foccacia

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:54 pm

Dinner: Beefy Noodles; buttered green beans

Brown gravy + ground turkey + small can sliced mushrooms, drained + cooked egg noodles = Beefy Noodles

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:38 am

Friday: tortillas + veggies + fiesta-style shredded cheese = Veggie Quesadillas, a complete meal all by itself.

Saturday: black-eye peas; beets; roasted garlic bread, toasted; mandarin oranges. Saturday treats: 10 oz Dr Pepper at lunch, and small slice of cherry pie after dinner

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:03 pm

Monday Dinner: sauerkraut with Polish sausage, corn, pumpernickel bread.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:25 am

Today is Day 20 on my current 100 Day Challenge. 100% on program! And it is easy! So, for the first 20 days, 2 fail days, which gives me 90% success overall. :D

Today is also my 59th birthday; husband and I will go out for dinner.
Last edited by Jammin' Jan on Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:08 pm

Hi Jan

Congratulations on your 90% success rate.

Happy, Happy Birthday - Hope your day was amazing and that the year ahead is full of God's richest blessings.
Hugs from Sunny South Africa
Vanilla No S with no Sugar due to Health issues - 11 yrs No S - September 2016 (some good, some bad (my own doing) but always the right thing for me!)

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:47 pm

Wednesday dinner: Dirty Rice, veggies, mandarin orange and bananas.

Zatarain's Dirty Rice does not work with Food Rules, which I'm still following. Too many ingredients, many of which would not appear on my pantry shelf. Bought it in a moment of laziness, but will not buy again. I can make it better, from scratch.
Last edited by Jammin' Jan on Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:23 am

The best laid plans o' mice and men...

Dinner with all the family at Famous Daves which finished with an ice cream sundae and many spoons...

Pretty fun for a fail.

(20 success days out of 23 days...87%)

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:05 am

Dinner: sardines, boiled buttered little red potatoes, green beans

After dinner, we had some errands to run, so we also stopped at Starbuck's and I limited myself to a decaf with a little vanilla soy. No cookies! :D

Our daughter graduates from college today, so this is a very happy S Day for me. :D

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:27 pm

Jammin' Jan wrote:Our daughter graduates from college today, so this is a very happy S Day for me. :D
Congratulations! :D Have a wonderful celebration!
Restarted No S (3rd times a charm!) January 2010 at 145 lbs

Jammin' Jan

Returning

Post by Jammin' Jan » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:24 pm

It's been a while but I want to return to No S. I used to do well when I planned and posted my daily meals, so I am going to start doing that here.

Breakfast: oatmeal, raisins, vanilla soymilk
Mid-morning Mod: 2 ounces cheese
Lunch: tortilla spread with red pepper hummus, tomatoes and cucumber; banana
Dinner: Christmas party tonight. One normal-sized plate of salad, chicken, green beans, garlic toast and a few raspberries.

Exercise: 30 minutes walking outside, 10 min. stretch routine.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:16 pm

Thursday, December 6

Breakfast: oatmeal with raisins and unsweetened almond milk
Mid-morning Mod: cheese
Lunch: hummus, tomato, cucumber wrap; banana
Dinner: small steak, corn, mashed potatoes

Exercise: 40 min. outdoors walking.
Last edited by Jammin' Jan on Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:33 pm

Here's my plan for today:

Breakfast: oatmeal, raisins, almond milk
Mod: "cheese@10"
Lunch: brown rice with chili beans
Dinner: spaghetti with marinara sauce, asparagus

Exercise: 40 min. walk

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:20 pm

Went to IHOP this morning for breakfast. That was a nice S treat.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:10 pm

We are buried in frozen snow this morning.

Breakfast: oatmeal, raisins, unsweetened almond milk
Cheese @ 10
Lunch: chili beans over brown rice, 2 buttered tortillas
Dinner: seasoned butter beans and feta, vegetable, dinner roll

Exercise: 30 min outside walk, got chains on my shoes and some very warm Minnesota clothes.

I will succeed today.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:03 pm

The staff lounge is a dangerous place, to be avoided as much as possible!!!

Here is my plan for today:

Breakfast: Raisin Bran, unsweetened almond milk
Cheese @ 10
Lunch: leftovers from dinner last night
Dinner: corn cakes & spicy beans topped with cheese; vegetable.

Exercise: 90 min outside walk, which is challenging because there is a foot of frozen snow on the ground from last weekend's storm and not a lot is plowed out yet. I think I should get extra points for walks like this.
Last edited by Jammin' Jan on Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:59 am

My Plan for today:

Breakfast: oatmeal, raisins
Cheese @ 10

Lunch: leftover corncakes and chili beans

Dinner: eggplant and stewed tomatoes; buttered pasta

Exercise: 45 minutes tromping through frozen snow.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:59 am

I did not post a plan today and ended up with a Fail. Better tomorrow.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:35 pm

Breakfast: raisin bran with almond milk; buttered English muffin
Cheese @ 10
Lunch: grilled cheese sandwich; orange
Dinner: sweet potatoes, 3 bean salad, dinner rolls