Emma's check in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

emmay

Emma's check in

Post by emmay » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:47 am

This is my monthly check in for No S, resistance exercise and walking.
Last edited by emmay on Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

emmay

Post by emmay » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:10 pm

October 2012 Summary

Feeling good about my habit building progress. No change in weight.

No S score 88.9%
14 minutes 70.0%
walking 62.5%

The scores are low because I started half way through the month. Leaves some room for improvement :wink:

emmay

Post by emmay » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:41 am

First, and hopefully last, Fail for this month.
I had desert of fruit and yoghurt with honey. Without the honey I probably wouldn't consider it a fail.
It is early to add a mod but I've decided to allow myself to have fresh fruit as desert with lunch or dinner without including it on my one plate.
I'll see how it goes.

emmay

Post by emmay » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:21 pm

Friday was a fail. I had seconds at dinner. I should have put extra food on my plate to start with as I knew I was extra hungry.
I'm doing well with eating to 70% or 80% full most of the time. It feels good to be satisfied but not too full. But I think I need to eat to 90-100% full once every day or too so the hunger doesn't build up.
The weekend was good. I ate well, indulged a bit but didn't over do it. I actually only had one small sweet, a chocolate, the other S events were fruit and cheese with crackers.

emmay

Post by emmay » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:25 am

Another fail. Seconds at dinner again. Need to just put more on my plate in the first place. I haven't let any of my fails turn into the what-the-hell effect so still feeling pretty good about my habits.

emmay

Post by emmay » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:26 pm

November 2012

No S score 85.7%
14 minutes 81.8%
Walking 63.6%

Weight 62.7kg/138lb. A loss of 3.3kg/7lb over the month.

My No S fails were all minor. I had one wild weekend and three sensible weekends.
Overall, I'm feeling very positive about my eating and exercise.

eschano

Post by eschano » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:07 pm

Well done! And 3.3kg for a month is quite a lot. Congratulations
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

emmay

Post by emmay » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:30 am

Thanks eschano, I know it is a lot. I don't expect to have the same results in december but hopefully I can maintain, both habits and weight.

emmay

Post by emmay » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:44 pm

I've just marked the next three weeks as S days on Habitcal :D
I'm away for the holidays and the only rule I plan to follow is 'don't be an idiot'

emmay

Post by emmay » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:56 am

I did fairly well with not being an idiot during my vacation. I came home feeling like I had put on a little weight but the scales showed a small loss.
It is hard getting back on track after the freedom I allowed myself. Especially since that freedom didn't result in weight gain. Hard to convince myself to follow the rules. But I want to get back to green N days because I know how easily old habits can return. I need to remember that the freedom is there in No S, just on a limited number of days.

emmay

Post by emmay » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:17 am

Today, I am ready for a new start after the holidays.
I'm reading the Beck Diet Solution. It is a book that uses cognitive therapy techniques to help you follow the diet of your choice. Primarily by teaching you how to counter sabotaging thoughts. Thank you to the no-s member who mentioned it on the discussion board. Sorry I can't remember who it was.

emmay

Post by emmay » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:45 am

December 2012

No S score 68.3%
14 minutes 11.5%
Walking 38.1%

Low scores because I gave myself S days for half the month!
Weight down about 1kg/2lb

emmay

Post by emmay » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:09 am

January 2013

No S score 34.7%
14 minutes 40.9%
Walking 70.9%

I struggled at getting back to No S after the holidays but I got right back into walking and some running.
Weight is down around 1kg for the month to 61kg. A total of 5kg down since I started in October.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:19 am

Emmay,

That's good. 11 pounds, and adding the Holidays in to that equation, is excellent!

Sorry about the pounds, I'm one of those ignorants in the States that still sticks with Her Majesty's measurements. (I think that's right?)
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

emmay

Post by emmay » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:08 am

Thanks Over43. I was surprised to lose weight over the holidays. I think the No S habits carried over even though I gave myself S days. Then when I first tried to go back to N days, the S day habits carried over for a week or so :)

emmay

Post by emmay » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:35 am

I came down with a flu last week and I have been off track ever since. Lots of red on the habitcal. Time to get green!

emmay

Post by emmay » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:19 am

February 2013

No S score 66.6% (six red days)
Resistance exercise 71.4% (six red days)
Walking 84.0% (four red days)

I've been doing pretty well with the exercise.
Weight is down a little to 60.4kg/ 133lb

emmay

Post by emmay » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:34 am

After failing the 21 day challenge at day 15, I looked back at my habitcal and found that I have only had five green days in a row twice in the last five months! :oops: Every other week, I've had either a non-weekend s day or a fail. I don't think it is a huge problem as I have still been losing weight and I'm still feeling good about no s. And I usually don't succumb to the what-the-hell effect after a fail. However, I would like to have better compliance. I think the key is making my n day meals big enough that I'm not excessively hungry by Thursday or Friday. I'm working on getting the balance right.

emmay

Post by emmay » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:37 pm

I had a good week. Five green days. I ate out on Wednesday night and had a large meal. It was one plate but I did overeat somewhat. It didn't feel great at the time but I think the feed-up helped me stay compliant on Thursday and Friday.
Exercise could have been better.

No BS

Post by No BS » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:58 pm

Yahoo! Congratulations on your 5-day stretch of green! :mrgreen:

Have a great weekend, emmay. :D
If you are not living life on the edge you are taking up too much room!!

emmay

Post by emmay » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:22 am

Thanks No BS. I had a good weekend, some indulgences but no crazy eating. Ready for more green this week.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:27 am

emmay wrote:Thanks No BS. I had a good weekend, some indulgences but no crazy eating. Ready for more green this week.
Power through the coming week. :D
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

emmay

Post by emmay » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:48 am

Thanks Over43. Monday was all green for No S and exercise and a green already for walking today. Beautiful sunrise this morning. Walking/running at sunrise is a habit I want to keep up.

No BS

Post by No BS » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:15 am

Congrats on a green Monday & a stable weekend! :mrgreen: You really are on a roll!

Isn't early morning simply gorgeous - and peaceful. It's my favorite time of day. :wink:

emmay

Post by emmay » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:46 pm

Thanks No BS. I was on a roll, but Easter interrupted it. I had a fail on Thursday night, then an all day chocolate fest on Friday. :oops:
Saturday and Sunday I was much more sensible.

Eeyore

Post by Eeyore » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:02 am

Your journal is very encouraging.... It's letting me know that even though we have bad days or weeks NoS is an awesome lifestyle. You weight loss is amazing!

Keep up the great work!

emmay

Post by emmay » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:18 am

Thanks Eeyore. My March summary might be slightly less encouraging as I've had a small gain in weight. Possibly all attributable to Easter chocolate and hot cross buns :oops: But also, I have been filling my plate(and tummy) more in the last couple of weeks. My aim was to eat bigger meals to help with my No S compliance as I was having fails when I got very hungry. It did help with compliance but I found I was getting over full and uncomfortable sometimes.
Still working on that balance of eating enough at meals but not too much.

emmay

Post by emmay » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:27 am

March 2013

No S score 89.5% (two red days, two non-weekend S days)
Resistance exercise 77.3% (five red days)
Walking 92.3% (two red days)

Compliance is up but weight is up by 1kg to 61.5kg/ 135lb
Too many big full plates and too much Easter eating.
And my exercise, while compliant, has been shorter in duration and lower in intensity than the month before.

No BS

Post by No BS » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:24 am

New plates, new days, new weeks, new months!

Once thing I adore about No"S" is that we have all the time & opportunity we need to tinker with our parameters to find what works best for us.

Good luck with April, emmay!

emmay

Post by emmay » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:21 am

I agree No BS. I love the fresh Habitcal month! And I love that No S gives me the framework to find my own equilibrium with food.

emmay

Post by emmay » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:18 pm

After getting a couple of green days under my belt this week, that extra Easter weight has gone. I think it was mostly bloating.
The worst thing about my eating last weekend was how I felt about my behaviour. I was sneaking chocolate throuought the day on Friday and that is just not how I want to act.
My main aim with No S is too feel good about my eating behaviour. That, and to reach and maintain a slim, healthy weight that feels right for me.

KL

Post by KL » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:31 am

emmay wrote:After getting a couple of green days under my belt this week, that extra Easter weight has gone. I think it was mostly bloating.
The worst thing about my eating last weekend was how I felt about my behaviour. I was sneaking chocolate throuought the day on Friday and that is just not how I want to act.
My main aim with No S is too feel good about my eating behaviour. That, and to reach and maintain a slim, healthy weight that feels right for me.
Ohh, I so agree! Good job in perservering :)
"Everything is permissible for me - but not everything is beneficial...I will not be mastered by anything." 1 Cor 6:12

emmay

Post by emmay » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:16 am

A fail on Friday as it was a crazy, busy day with no time for propper meals.
I ate too much on the weekend too. Had that uncomfortable full feeling Sunday evening. :(
Thank goodness for Monday.

emmay

Post by emmay » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:01 am

After overeating on two weekends in a row, strategies for the coming weekend are on my mind.
I'm contemplating the meaning of "sometimes on days starting with S". It certainly doesn't mean all the time on days starting with S. And it also doesn't mean on every day starting with S. I want my weekend eating to be relaxed and enjoyable with no compulsive snacking and no overeating to the point of discomfort. I have certainly had many good weekends, where I enjoy some indulgences but don't go overboard. I'm not sure why last weekend went wrong.......actually, I do have one theory. My monthly weigh in landed right after Easter, when I had overindulged a bit. The weigh in showed a gain so I felt compelled to be a bit more careful with my eating and monitor my weight daily.
A restrictive mindset on N days causes wild S days for me!
This is something I already knew but I guess I have to figure out the same thing over and over again until it sticks.
Wow! at the start of writing this post I was contemplating what resrictions I might put on my S days. Half way through, I figured out I don't need to add restrictions, I need to remove them. I let myself slip into diethead and it messed up my weekend. I'm glad I figured that out.

KL

Post by KL » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:10 am

emmay wrote: I figured out I don't need to add restrictions, I need to remove them. I let myself slip into diethead and it messed up my weekend. I'm glad I figured that out.
Excellent realization :!: :!: :!: Restricting always leads to overeating (for me anyway)...
"Everything is permissible for me - but not everything is beneficial...I will not be mastered by anything." 1 Cor 6:12

No BS

Post by No BS » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:19 am

Good self-analysis, emmay. It's amazing how writing about this stuff often helps us clarify our thoughts and plan a course of action!! :wink:

emmay

Post by emmay » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:32 am

Not doing too well this week. I got sick last week which caused me to skip my exercise and feel a bit miserable. I'm mostly better now but I haven't gotten back to my regular exercise routine and my eating is messed up too. I've had a few red days in a row and it feels like a deliberate failure. Not sure why I would fail deliberately. Maybe it is an extinction burst.
Tomorrow evening I have an S event but I will stick to No S for the rest of the day. Then a fresh start on Monday.

emmay

Post by emmay » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:38 pm

Back on track this week. Being too sick to exercise really threw me for a week or so but now I am feeling better, doing my exercise and being strict with No S. It was raining this morning so, instead of a walk, I did a short cardio workout and 20 minutes of yoga using an ipad app.
Over the weekend I watched a documentary about fasting. The idea that struck me was that fasting can put your body into cell repair mode, helping prevent cancer, diabetes and heart disease! With No S I already have a bit of a fast between dinner and breakfast but I plan on extending the fast a couple of times a week by skipping breakfast.

emmay

Post by emmay » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:40 pm

April 2013

No S score 70.7% (five red days, three non-weekend S days)
Resistance exercise 37% (a lot of sick days)
Walking 75.3%

Despite the low compliance, weight is down a little to 60.7kg/ 133.5lb
I plan on 100% compliance in May and some intermittent fasting too. Here's hoping I don't get sick again.

No BS

Post by No BS » Wed May 01, 2013 12:51 am

Glad you are feel better, Emma. You still did pretty good over the month, even being sick. :wink: Good job.

emmay

Post by emmay » Wed May 01, 2013 10:05 am

Thanks No BS
This month I am going to track here as I go:

May 2013

1 :mrgreen: Exercise: dawn walk/run and 10 pushups. Fasted until lunch (tuna, boiled eggs, fresh veg and a mandarin). Delicious dinner at a Japanese restaurant; I didn't strictly stick to one plate but I didn't overeat so I'll call it a green this time.
2 :mrgreen: Exercise: walk/run and some dumbbell lifting. Breakfast: scrambled eggs, bacon, coffee. Lunch: ham and cheese sandwich, salad, walnuts and an apple. Dinner: chilli con carne with rice & cheese, and a mandarin.
3 :mrgreen: Exercise: walk, pushups, housecleaning. Fasted through breakfast. Lunch: beef nachos, salad and an apple. Dinner: chicken and veg stir fry with rice and an orange.
4 :D
5 :D
6 :mrgreen: Exercise: run/walk, dumbbells. Fasted through breakfast. Lunch: Sushi. Dinner: Pork cutlet, vegetables, and a plum.
7 :mrgreen: Exercise: run/walk, a few bodyweight exercises. Fasted through breakfast. Lunch: Pea and ham soup, sourdough bread, salad. Dinner: chicken, vegetables, a plum and a mandarin.
8 :mrgreen: Exercise: run/walk, dumbbells. Fasted through breakfast. Lunch: more pea and ham soup, sourdough bread, salad. Dinner: creamy pasta, salad, an apple and a mandarin.
9 :mrgreen: Exercise: run/walk. Breakfast: eggs and toast. Lunch: sushi. Dinner: chicken and veg stir fry with noodles.
10 :mrgreen: Exercise: run/walk, vacuuming. Fasted through breakfast. Lunch: omelette and salad. Dinner: beef stew with baguette.
11 :D
12 :D Good weekend, had a delicious ice-cream as a mother's day treat
13 :oops: Exercise: run, dumbbells. Breakfast: eggs, toast, apple and almonds. Lunch: Salad with tuna, a mandarin. Dinner: homemade pizza, apple, orange. I had too many extra nibbles of cheese etc while preparing pizza plus a few more nibbles after. Definitely not one plate! But not letting it be WTH effect either.
14 :mrgreen: Exercise: run, yoga. Breakfast: oat porridge with apple, almonds, honey. Lunch: Salad, tuna, eggs, bread and butter, apple, mandarin. Dinner: chicken & vegetables with cheese sauce.
15 :mrgreen: Exercise: yoga, 5 min cardio, run. Breakfast: apple, almonds and sultanas. Lunch: chicken, rice salad, veg. Dinner: pasta, beef, veg, fruit.
16 :mrgreen: Exercise: run/walk, dumbbells. Breakfast: bagel, scrambled eggs, fruit. Lunch: salad, leftover pasta & beef, apple, almonds. Dinner: beef spare ribs, green beans, sweet potato, fruit, nuts and yoghurt.
17 :oops: Exercise:not much. Breakfast: egg, toast. Lunch: burger & chips/fries. Dinner: lamb and veg, fruit. My fail was picking at seconds at dinner again. I'm not always strict about the one plate rule but I give myself a red if I overdo it. No sweets or snacks though.
18 :D
19 :D
20 :mrgreen: Exercise: walk, yoga. Breakfast: yoghurt, fruit, nuts, toast. Lunch: salad, chicken, orange. Dinner: beef stroganoff, pasta, mandarin.
21 :mrgreen: Exercise: run/walk, dumbbells. Breakfast: toast, egg, nuts, fruit. Lunch: Rice, legume and roast vegetable salad. Dinner: crumbed chicken, vegetables, fruit, nuts.
22 :mrgreen:
23 :oops:
24 :oops: Lost track a bit.
25 :D
26 :D Good weekend. Ready to get back to it.
27 :mrgreen: Exercise: Run/walk, dumbbells. Breakfast: Scrambled eggs on toast. Lunch: Chicken and vegatable soup, salad, mandarin. Dinner: chicken and veg stir fry, rice, fruit, almonds.
28 :oops: Exercise: short run/walk, 5 min cardio, yoga. Breakfast: egg, toast, apple, walnuts. Lunch: Chicken and vegatable soup, salad, dried fruit, nuts. Dinner: lamb curry, rice, cucumber riata, fruit, nuts. Fail was nibbling extra food after dinner again.
29 :oops: Exercise: 5 min cardio, run/walk, pushups. Breakfast: toast, scrambled eggs with pancetta, apple, walnuts. Lunch: virtual plated fruit at desk (banana, mandarin, grapes). Dinner: chicken stew with potato and mushrooms, salad, bread, fruit. Overate at dinner. Still having trouble with strictness in the evening.
30 :oops: Exercise: cardio and resistance with daily workout app. Breakfast: coffee. Lunch: sandwich, salad, nuts, fruit. Dinner: pasta. After dinner snacks: fruit and nuts.
31 :mrgreen: Exercise: run/walk, pull-ups. Breakfast: toast, peanut butter, honey, fruit, walnuts. Lunch: sushi, Greek salad. Dinner: roast pork and vegetables.
Last edited by emmay on Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:29 am, edited 22 times in total.

emmay

Post by emmay » Sun May 12, 2013 12:08 pm

I'm giving up on Intermittent fasting for now. I started after learning about it's potential health benefits but it has lead to thoughts of fast weight loss, restriction and control that go beyond what is moderate and healthy. :oops:
Vanilla No S, three meals a day is just right for me :D

No BS

Post by No BS » Mon May 13, 2013 1:56 am

emmay, the only time I ever think about fasting is when I eat too much!! And then it is (thankfully) too late!! :lol:

When I am tired of deciding what to eat I'll just usually have one orange or an apple for one of my meals.

By the next meal time I am so damn hungry I get back to the healthy program of choosing & prepping good food to eat in moderation.

My occasional light meal of a piece of fruit gives my system a bit of a "rest" and reminds me I have a lot to be grateful for - without fasting & denial.

emmay

Post by emmay » Mon May 13, 2013 4:15 am

Thanks No BS. I noticed in your daily checkin that you sometimes skip breakfast or just have a piece of fruit. I like your flexible approach. Listening to your appetite and honoring your body's need for a break is healthy. I was forcing the fasting and starting to think of it as a way to get skinny. I have to remind myself that my goal isn't to be skinny, my goal is to have healthy and moderate eating and exercise habits.
Moderation is a fine line between restriction and overindulgence.

emmay

Post by emmay » Mon May 20, 2013 1:32 am

I need to get strict about the 'no seconds/one plate' rule.
I tend to be flexible about it and then decide after the fact whether the meal was a failure or success. If I feel that I have overeaten, I give myself a fail. If not, I call it a success, even if I have technically had seconds. This way of doing things undermines the clear-cut elegance of No S.
I've already done it this morning by eating a stray piece of toast after finishing my breakfast. I'll still give myself a green today, as long as I stick to my committment to the one plate rule from now on.

emmay

Post by emmay » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:36 am

May 2013

No S score 69.6% (seven red days)
Walking/running 93.1% Bronze medal!
Other exercise/14 minutes of anything 87.5%

Weight stable: 60.6kg/133.6lb
Not so great with No S compliance in the last two weeks but I'm happy with my exercise progress. I headed out for a walk/run almost every day and alternated between yoga and weights for my additional exercise.
Last edited by emmay on Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

emmay

Post by emmay » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:39 am

June log. Copied from the June challenge thread.

1 :) Yoga.
2 :) Run/walk.
3 :D Family birthday Yoga, walk. B: toast, scrambled eggs, apple, walnuts. L: salad, tuna, avocado, orange. D: Crumbed chicken, vegetables. Birthday cake with ice cream. Lollies(candy) and snacks in the afternoon.
4 :mrgreen: Run/walk, weights. B: yoghurt, nuts, apple, muesli. L: salad, chicken, orange, apple. D: chicken and vegetable soup, mandarin.
5 :mrgreen: Yoga, run. B: yoghurt, nuts, pear, muesli. L: salad, chicken stew, fruit, nuts. D: stir fry, rice, fruit.
6 :mrgreen: Run, weights, yoga. B: toast, apple, nuts. L: soup, sandwich, fruit, nuts. D: beef tagine, couscous, orange.
7 :mrgreen: 5 min cardio, walk. B: toast, eggs, cucumber, celery, walnuts. L: sandwich and salad. D: sushi, orange.
8 :)
9 :)
10 :mrgreen: cardio/weights circuit, run. B:yoghurt, nuts, muesli, pear. L: chicken burrito. D: veg curry, dahl, rice, naan. Technically compliant but lunch and dinner were big meals and now I feel stuffed and uncomfortable. Still working on eating the right amount.
11 :mrgreen: yoga, run. B:coffee. L: chicken sandwich, orange, apple. D: pork, vegetable and noodle stir fry, apple.
12 :mrgreen: walk, weights. B:fruit. L: salad, tuna, egg, nuts, apple. D: lamb stew, bread, fruit, nuts.
13 :mrgreen: yoga, run/walk. B:yoghurt, nuts, muesli, pear. L: pizza, grilled vegetables. D: beef and bean nachos, fruit.
14 :mrgreen: yoga, run/walk. B:carrot and cucumber slices. L: leftovers, salad, nuts, fruit. D: roast vegetables and haloumi cheese, fruit, nuts.
15 :)
16 :)
17 :mrgreen: No exercise. A bit sick.
18 :mrgreen: As above
19 :mrgreen: Walk, gentle yoga
20 :mrgreen: Walk
21 :oops: Sweets after dinner. No exercise
22 :(
23 :( Overate this weekend. Stress eating
24 :mrgreen: no exercise B: coffee. L: salad, beans, tuna, apple, banana. D: chicken and spinach enchiladas.
25 :mrgreen: yoga, walk. B: yoghurt, muesli, fruit, nuts. L: salad, beans, tuna, apple. D: lettuce rolls with chicken, veg and noodles.
26 :mrgreen: weights, walk. B: fruit, nuts. L: salad, beans, chicken, banana. D: leek and potato soup, salad, bread, fruit.
27 :mrgreen: yoga, walk. B: egg, toast, apple, nuts. L: soup, sandwich, veg, fruit. D: pasta with beef and veg.
28 :mrgreen: no exercise
29 :)
30 :)

emmay

Post by emmay » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:46 am

June 2013

No S score 94.7% Bronze medal!
Walking/running 76.2%
Other exercise/14 minutes of anything 70.0%

Weight stable: 60.5kg/133.4lb
Better No S compliance than last month but not so great with the exercise.

emmay

Post by emmay » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:02 am

I took two weeks of vacation S days :D . I was ready for a break and enjoyed myself very much. I think No S is most important for me when I am in my usual work routine as it prevents boredom and stress induced eating. While on family vacation, I had too much fun to be bothered with eating for the wrong reasons.
Now, it's back to routine and back to N days. It's a bit harder to get back to exercise though as we are in the depths of winter here and the daylight hours are very short.

emmay

Post by emmay » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:15 am

One Plate

When I started No S, I didn't worry too much about the no seconds/one plate rule. At that time, I didn't have a problem with overeating at meals. My issue was snacks and sweets between meals. I also thought the one plate rule was impractical for some types of meals.
But, after many successful months of No S, I have found myself starting to overeat too often at meals, especially dinner. So now I need that 'one plate rule' to keep me from getting uncomfortably full.
My rule will be one plate plus one optional piece of fruit or ramekin of cut fruit.
Any virtual plating will be reserved for times when a single plate is truly not possible or not polite, and I will do the virtual plating before starting the meal, not after.

emmay

Post by emmay » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:15 am

Wow! I have really gotten off track with both No S and exercise. I let winter be an excuse not to go out for my morning walk/run and somehow I stopped doing my other exercise too. I decided I was sick of using HabitCal and didn't need it anymore....
Result: getting plump and puffy and unfit.
Solution: get back to habitcal and logging here.

Rest of August personal challenge:
Exercise daily. Vanilla No S
27 Exercise: kicking ball around with kids. No S Fail. I was hungry mid afternoon when my kids were having an afternoon snack and it didn't seem to make sense to not eat. I put fruit and nuts on a plate, ate it and it felt good. I had energy to play/exercise then still had an appetite for dinner. As a former permasnacker, the structure/order of No S appeals to me but I feel that I need some flexibility and freedom. I don't want to abandon this completely but I don't want to feel like I have failed something by having one snack. What to do? Optional four meals? Increase size of breakfast and lunch? Forget dieting altogether, even No S?
28 Family bike ride. No S Fail
29 14 minutes dumbbells/bodyweight exercises. No S Fail Restart tomorrow. There are so many good reasons. Stable weight, stable mood, sense of accomplishment, sense of order and balance.
30 walk/run NO S SUCCESS B: orange, seeds, walnuts, cranberries. L: roast pumpkin tart, salad. D: flathead, baked potato and sweet potato chips, salad. I re-listened to the strictness podcast today. Instead of 'fence around the law' I kept saying to myself, 'fence around the plate' and it worked.
31 S DAY

emmay

Post by emmay » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:38 am

Well... I was just getting back to regular exercise and N days when I came down with a week long flu. Feeling better now and ready to restart. So my aim for today is gentle exercise and 3 plates.

emmay

Post by emmay » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:36 am

September 2013

1 S DAY
2 S
3 I
4 C
5 K
6 ! Sick all week. I think I had one or two green days because I lost my appetite but didn't keep track.
7 S DAY
8 S DAY
9 SUCCESS Walk B: Bircher muesli. L: cheese and ham roll, orange. D: Chicken and veg curry with rice, berries and almonds.
10 SUCCESS Walk B: Egg, toast, strawberries. L: salad, avocado, tuna. D: Thai pork meatballs, rice, salad, orange.
11 SUCCESS B: Yoghurt, muesli, fruit, nuts. L: ham and cheese sandwich, veg, fruit. D: Spaghetti bolognese, fruit, almonds.
12 FAIL Wasn't feeling so good but failing made me feel even worse.
13 FAIL
14 S DAY
15 S DAY
16 SUCCESS 15min Yoga B:raisin toast, yoghurt, muesli, banana, almonds. L: Fritata, salad, fruit. D: meatloaf, veg, fruit.
17 SUCCESS 14min Dumbbells, 15min Yoga B: eggs, toast, nuts. L: ham/cheese sandwich, carrot, fruit. D: sushi, fruit, nuts.
18 FAIL 5min Cardio B: fruit, toast, yoghurt, muesli. L: salad, tuna, fruit, nuts. D: Chicken, vegetables, fruit, nuts. Various anxiety driven snacks after dinner including sweets.
19 FAIL B: french toast, fruit yoghurt. L: sandwich, salad, fruit. D: chicken meatballs, pasta, fruit. Seconds at dinner.
20 SUCCESS 30min Yoga B: yoghurt, muesli, fruit, nuts. L: sushi, strawberries. D: kangaroo stew, damper.
21 S DAY
22 S DAY
23 BORDERLINE. Three meals but overate at dinner.
24 AS ABOVE
25 SUCCESS! Three plates and not one bite more.
28 S DAY
29 S DAY