Inswsn's first check in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

mulliganagain

Inswsn's first check in

Post by mulliganagain » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:53 pm

I started out my journey at 262lbs. Whenever anybody complains to me about "failing" on their diet I tell them "you didn't fail - you just weren't ready." My theory is that when someone is ready- and I mean TRULY ready, not just frustrated or wishful thinking- then that person will start moving in the right direction, because the change will naturally be a better option than continuing down the path they're going.

Evidently 262lbs is when I was ready, because I've been moving in the right direction ever since (albeit slowly), and I've lost 50lbs in about 3 years. :) While I'm happy with the direction, I'm not pleased with the speed, so it's time to buckle down and stop playing around! :wink:

So far this year, January 1st was a "S" day for me (I'm counting any days that I'm not at work as an "S" day since I work M-F, and am only off for company holidays or special vacations). The other 3 full days of January I've stayed strong! Whoo hoo!

Sorry, I've had too much caffeine this morning - I'm rambling. :wink: Long story short, starting point for first check in of the second half of my journey : 212lbs. And it can only get better from here. :D
Sincerely,
Sarah H.

Starting BMI: 41.03/Current BMI: 33.53/Healthy BMI: 19-24

No S + Following "My Plate Guidelines"

eschano

Post by eschano » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:00 pm

What a great start! Welcome
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

mulliganagain

Post by mulliganagain » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:57 pm

Thank you for the welcome, eschano! :D
Sincerely,
Sarah H.

Sweetness
Location: Fall and winters in Cuernavaca, Morelos Mexico and summers in St Paul, Minnesota

Post by Sweetness » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:43 pm

Sarah, welcome to No S. Congrats on 3 years of the right direction, and the weight loss! I love No S!
Patty

Anxiety in a person's heart weighs him down, but an encouraging word brings him joy. (Proverbs 12:25 NET)
I'm a glutton for encouragement.

mulliganagain

Post by mulliganagain » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:29 am

Thanks for the welcome and the congrats, Sweetness! :D I was on the Spark People message boards for a while, but then kind of got away from them.. I thought about going back, but I noticed that they didn't have a No-S team, so I wanted to come check out here because I wanted to be able to meet other people who are as interested in No-S as am... like you! :D
Sincerely,
Sarah H.

Sweetness
Location: Fall and winters in Cuernavaca, Morelos Mexico and summers in St Paul, Minnesota

Post by Sweetness » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:48 pm

8)
Patty

Anxiety in a person's heart weighs him down, but an encouraging word brings him joy. (Proverbs 12:25 NET)

mulliganagain

Post by mulliganagain » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:40 pm

Hubby is trying to lose weight too, but he has a very big sweet tooth and I normally keep something sweet around the house for him.. I'll bake cupcakes or cookies or something. I recently introduced the idea that from now on whatever I bake will be baked on Saturday - that way we can both have a little on the weekend, and then once the week hits he can eat what he wants as it lasts, but nothing else will be baked until the next Saturday. I'm also going to work on not keeping more than one type of sweets around the house at one time, so if hubby's craving candy bars, I'm not baking anything, so that way we have some sweets but we're not drowning in the temptation. :) Of course I don't control what he buys, but I'm just not going to buy/bake it. :wink:

I've made soda an "s" for me, so I'm only having sodas on the weekend, which is a huge change.. I'm a soda addict! I drink my water from a 16oz tumbler, and I noticed that I drink about 3 more glasses of water on days that I don't drink soda than I do on days that I do drink soda, which I think is a good reason to try to keep up this habit. :) I use true citrus (grapefruit is my favorite, but we also keep lemon, lime and orange around for variety) and crystal light, so I noticed last week that I didn't even miss the soda that badly because I was drinking other yummy things.

Some time this week I'm going to try to get my hands on a sledgehammer so I can give shovelgloving a try. :)
Sincerely,
Sarah H.

milliem

Post by milliem » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:15 pm

Welcome to NoS, and congratulations on the 50lb loss already! That's amazing, and 17lb weight loss per year for 3 years is pretty good I reckon :)

mulliganagain

Post by mulliganagain » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:33 pm

Thanks, milliem!

It's a little slower than I would have liked, but at least I'm -17lbs per year for the past 3 years instead of +17lbs per year for the past 3 years! :wink:
Sincerely,
Sarah H.

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:32 am

inswsn wrote:Hubby is trying to lose weight too, but he has a very big sweet tooth and I normally keep something sweet around the house for him.. I'll bake cupcakes or cookies or something. I recently introduced the idea that from now on whatever I bake will be baked on Saturday - that way we can both have a little on the weekend, and then once the week hits he can eat what he wants as it lasts, but nothing else will be baked until the next Saturday. I'm also going to work on not keeping more than one type of sweets around the house at one time, so if hubby's craving candy bars, I'm not baking anything, so that way we have some sweets but we're not drowning in the temptation. :) Of course I don't control what he buys, but I'm just not going to buy/bake it. :wink:

I've made soda an "s" for me, so I'm only having sodas on the weekend, which is a huge change.. I'm a soda addict! I drink my water from a 16oz tumbler, and I noticed that I drink about 3 more glasses of water on days that I don't drink soda than I do on days that I do drink soda, which I think is a good reason to try to keep up this habit. :) I use true citrus (grapefruit is my favorite, but we also keep lemon, lime and orange around for variety) and crystal light, so I noticed last week that I didn't even miss the soda that badly because I was drinking other yummy things.

Some time this week I'm going to try to get my hands on a sledgehammer so I can give shovelgloving a try. :)
You've got some good plans going there, keep it up! 8)
Patty

mulliganagain

Post by mulliganagain » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:53 pm

Thanks, sweetness! :D
Sincerely,
Sarah H.

mulliganagain

Post by mulliganagain » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:49 pm

My mind is already trying to get side tracked by "shiny diets", and it's only January 8th. I've been pretty much ignoring the Nutrisystem, Jenny Craig and Weight Watchers commericals on tv (that play about a thousand times an hour!), but then I was reading some weight loss success stories today and they were talking about eating clean and it crossed my mind "this isn't going to work if I'm not eating clean!". I eat pretty clean.. sometimes.. but not completely clean and I KNOW I'm not ready to start eating cleaner, and my efforts starting feeling a little pointless. But I'm already losing weight, so I KNOW it's not pointless! I need to remember that even though I have my weight loss goals, my resolution wasn't to lose weight... it was a challenge to do No S for an entire year to see what happens, regardless of the outcome. If I want to do another diet, then fine... I'll start that January 1st, 2014. 2013 is already occupied. :P

I ordered a sledgehammer from amazon today - it's coming on Thursday! Yay! And if for some reason I don't like shovelgloving, I'm giving it to my father in law for his tool shed. :D
Sincerely,
Sarah H.

surfersuz

Post by surfersuz » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:34 pm

Great goal to make 2013 all about No S. I'm with you there. If you even start thinking about another diet, let me know and I'll talk you out of it!!
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you.
- Goethe inspired (I think…)

SW - 165

eschano

Post by eschano » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:54 am

Hi inswsn,
Thanks for stopping by my thread. If you're side trackeed by "shiny diets" I recommend Skeleton's check-in. That first post is great. Have a good day!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:47 am

Hi Sarah! Just wanted to stop in and say congrats on your weight loss the past three years!...and welcome to the boards! I'm having trouble getting into the swing of things so far this year, but I WILL! Keep up the great work!
"Rivers know this: There is no hurry. We shall get there some day." ~Winnie the Pooh ~

A Flower does not think of competing with the flower next to it. It just blooms!

Diets Don't Work.

mulliganagain

Post by mulliganagain » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:05 pm

WARNING: CARAMEL TURTLE CHEESECAKE IN THE BREAK ROOM!

One of my coworkers and I are working together to keep each other away from the cheesecake to help support our individual diet goals. Luckily enough, I don't even seem to want the cheesecake. :)

surfersuz: hehe! If I start thinking about other diets, I'll talk to you right away! :D You can help me remember that we're not working on a "diet", we're working on a healthy lifestyle change! :) And we're all going to do it together!!

eschano: I'm going to go check that out now - thanks for the guidance! I'm still exploring the boards - it's such a big help to be around people who have goals that are so similar to mine. :)

ZippaDee: Thanks and thanks!! :D You definitely will get into the swing of it - just take it one day at a time and say "I can't do anything about yesterday, and I don't know what tomorrow will bring, but no matter what - today I'M DOING THIS!!" :D
Sincerely,
Sarah H.

surfersuz

Post by surfersuz » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:43 am

Good for you, recruiting a friend to help you out. Sometimes it helps so much to talk to someone who understands. And yes, we will all continue to support each other :) Congrats on avoiding the cheesecake! Every victory counts.

SW - 165

Jonas Jonasson

Post by Jonas Jonasson » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:21 pm

Hello,
Thanks for stopping by & the thumbs-up-comment.
And your history is very impressive.
Just how do I pronounce Inswsn? :D
Disclaimer (still applicable):
If a person is fairly new to English their English words and expressions are influenced by their mother tongue, so things that might sound impolite to you are not always meant in that way.

gk

Post by gk » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:50 pm

inswsn wrote:One of my coworkers and I are working together to keep each other away from the cheesecake to help support our individual diet goals.
Good idea to have a "food buddy" at work - will help tons! Keep up the great work! :)

mulliganagain

Post by mulliganagain » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:10 pm

Thanks for the positive comments about me teaming up with my coworker! It's always good to have online AND IRL help when possible, even though my IRL person and I are taking different routes to healthy. :D

And thank you, Jonas! I'm kind of proud of my path thus far, but I'm not proud of the fact that I got there to begin with. I have to show a lot more self control now because I let self control go out the window for waaaay too long. :roll: :wink:

LOL! It's funny because I've been using inswsn for a long time and nobody's ever asked me about it before, even though it doesn't make any sense. :lol: And it's even got a boring origin... I was trying to make a user name for website one time and everything was taken, and I said "aarrrrgggggg! I need a short website name!" Then I typed in(eed)s(hort)w(eb)s(ite)n(ame) and it was available. I took it, and I've used inswsn ever since! It's never taken... unless I've been there. :lol: So I don't really say it as a full word - I just say the letters. :) Which is great because if I did say it as a word people would ask me to spell it anyway! :wink:
Sincerely,
Sarah H.

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:55 pm

Welcome!!!! FYI there is indeed a no s diet team on spark people . I go on occasion but hang out mostly in the living binge free team if you are interested.
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139
Willingness without action is fantasy

Jonas Jonasson

Post by Jonas Jonasson » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:47 am

I like your being TRULY ready concept, it maybe is the reason why most of us are here. And most of the time there is a good reason why we got there were we are now :?
Cool explanation of your name, it's not boring at all (mine is). And IRL is probably in real life?
If you have managed to resist the cheesecake you will be able to achieve anything.
If a person is fairly new to English their English words and expressions are influenced by their mother tongue, so things that might sound impolite to you are not always meant in that way.

mulliganagain

Post by mulliganagain » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:29 pm

update: I did shovelgloving for the first time yesterday! I have to be very careful because my cats think they have to help give me encouragement by sitting at my feet the entire time, but I managed to not whack any of them. :wink: 8lbs is heavier than I imagined it would be doing those exercises!

snapdragon : O there is a NO S team?? :) I tried searching for one and couldn't find it! Maybe it was fate.. I think I'm better off here right now anyway, because when I'm on Spark People I do too much searching around and looking at other diets and questioning myself. Maybe I subconsciously didn't find it on purpose to make myself come here and focus on No S. :D I'm glad you told me it's there, though! Thank you very much!

Jonas: Thanks for commenting about my concept! I totally agree with you - I think we're all where we are for a good reason. And just because we don't see the good reason right now doesn't mean it's not there, it just means we haven't discovered it yet! :D Everything that happens is leading from where we were to where we're going to be.

I'm sorry - yes IRL is "in real life". I have such a bad habit of shortening things. Sorry about that! I bet your name has a great story! :D

And I'm happy to say that even though the cheesecake is still in the fridge, I've been able to successfully leave it alone for 2 whole days. :D However if it was a chocolate cake with thick chocolate icing I may be laying face down in a sugar coma in the break room by now, but I digress. :roll:

I'm having a really weird craving for my S day... I want to take a chocolate chip cookie ice cream sandwich and smear vanilla icing on top of it. I've never done that before, but for some reason it popped in my head and won't leave! I may not do it, though, because one thing I've noticed that's starting to be different with my eating habits is that I can think of something and think "O that sounds good. That would be really tasty", and then NOT eat that thing, and NOT feel like I'm going to die simply because I didn't get it. That's kind of a huge step for me and my relationship with food. :)
Sincerely,
Sarah H.

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:51 pm

I have to say even though I tend to overdo it on the weekends those things I crave all week are often disappointing when I get to the weekend. I
Think eating sweets less often makes me more discerning. I can't tell you haow many weekends I ended up disappointed after eating something I craved all week. Usually it's chocolate too. Which is crazy cus I love chocolate with all my heart. Though brownies will never disappoint.
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139
Willingness without action is fantasy

mulliganagain

Post by mulliganagain » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:32 pm

snapdragon: just goes to show - food is more pleasurable in the mind than it is on the tongue! :D

I particularly like brownies too. :) I have some protein powder and a recipe for brownies that uses protein powder, and I'm trying to figure out if I should count that as a sweet or as lunch. :?

ETA: alright - just made a new mod. "scale" is an s, but it's an extra special "s" that only gets satisfied once a month. I've been feeling good and strong alllll-llll day, and when I stepped on the scale and saw it fluctuated up just a little my first thought was "fine then - Imma go eat chips and salsa. :P " But I didn't, and I'm not going to - I'm simply going to ban the scale and go to bed.

Night all!
Sincerely,
Sarah H.

surfersuz

Post by surfersuz » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:22 pm

Good for you - getting on the boards rather than into the kitchen. That's what I wished I had done so many times. Feel so much better about yourself and about life in general in the morning.

I'm with you on banning the scale. I haven't stepped on it yet because I want to quit as well. The thing is that if you step on it everyday you are basically just tracking a change in water weight anyway…once a month seems like a way to do it.

SW - 165

mulliganagain

Post by mulliganagain » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:37 pm

Thank you for your kind words, surfersuz! You're totally right - I do feel so much better in the morning when I manage to NOT hit the kitchen. And plus, it helps me be strong later. I realize that if I didn't hit the kitchen that time, I can not hit the kitchen again! :D

I do have a confession to make, though... I weighed this morning. :roll: The scale is just so tempting! I've been so attached to it for so long! But you're right - when I weigh every day I'm just tracking a change in water weight. I appreciate you reminding me of that. I'm going to try harder to stay off the scale!

I caught myself thinking something yesterday that amused me... I had a few treats, but not many... on Saturday I baked some cookies and had a couple with some icing on them, and Sunday I had a snack of a few too many chips dipped in cream cheese. Even though it wasn't a lot of "extra" stuff it made me feel kinda bleh with the extra sugar and carbs and I thought "Whew - I can't wait until I get back on track Monday!" I know I don't HAVE to have "S" treats just because it's an "S" day, but I do enjoy them so I don't want to nix my "S" days altogether, I just found it interesting that I wanted to get back into my "NS" routine. It's like vacation - it's nice to go somewhere special, but it's always refreshing to return home again too. :)

mulliganagain

Post by mulliganagain » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:50 pm

I will not eat the buttermilk pie we catered in for the open house at work.. I will not eat the buttermilk pie we catered in for the open house at work.. I will not eat the buttermilk pie we catered in for the open house at work..

Jonas Jonasson

Post by Jonas Jonasson » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:58 am

I just found it interesting that I wanted to get back into my "NS" routine
Same here, absolutely

Just one tiny question: What happened to the buttermilk pie you catered in for the open house at work?

mulliganagain

Post by mulliganagain » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:48 pm

Well, Jonas, I'd like to say that I didn't eat any of the pie... which I can! Because I didn't eat any! As tempting as it was, because it's truly my favorite kind of pie. :D We have left overs in the fridge, and I refuse to make eye contact with it so I won't give in. :lol:

I'm proud of that, and I'm also proud of the way I handled last night... totally nothing to do with the diet itself, but I'm sharing anyway... I suffer from depression and sometimes it hits me like a ton of bricks. Last night was one of those nights and it occurred to me that nights like that I'm more likely to say "forget the new diet rules I've set for myself... ice cream and chips love me more than I love myself anyway!" But then I realized that last night was different... I didn't even want to eat. I just had dinner, as usual, and then didn't even think about eating. I think this shows that I'm learning better ways than binging to deal with my little "down" times.

I've still got a few lingering blues this morning, but all-in-all it's looking up, AND I don't have to be disappointed in myself for giving in and snacking last night. :D

Jonas Jonasson

Post by Jonas Jonasson » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:36 pm

Super well done! Big hug from me (should be okay, being rather a Jonasine IRL)
I know some people suffering from a depression and can (only sort of, of course) imagine how hard I must be but I bet none of them would never manage to sound as cheerful and optimistic as you do on this board.
Double super well done!

mulliganagain

Post by mulliganagain » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:34 pm

Yay for big hugs! :D Thanks for the kind words - I appreciate your support very much!

I try to keep the depressed part of me off of message boards when possible, but it's so linked to my eating habits that I thought it was share-worthy in this situation. :)

Boredom, mood level, celebrations.. I'm realizing that I've made everything an occasion for food. :roll: I'm glad I'm breaking that habit!

Jonas Jonasson

Post by Jonas Jonasson » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:03 am

So your good habits have carried over, great!

mulliganagain

Post by mulliganagain » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:47 pm

If feels like a little victory every time I don't eat something that I don't need, no matter how little the treat may be. Even if it's just a fun sized candy bar or a spoonful of ice cream. The little bites not only add up, but sometimes just trigger for me to reach for more and more and more little bites! Who needs the stress? :D

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:08 am

inswsn wrote:If feels like a little victory every time I don't eat something that I don't need, no matter how little the treat may be. Even if it's just a fun sized candy bar or a spoonful of ice cream. The little bites not only add up, but sometimes just trigger for me to reach for more and more and more little bites! Who needs the stress? :D
Thanks, I needed that! :wink:
Patty

mulliganagain

Post by mulliganagain » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:47 pm

I'm glad I'm ont the only person who feels that way. :D
Sincerely,
Sarah H.

mulliganagain

Post by mulliganagain » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:09 pm

I've been trying to ignore diet commercials, because I don't want a commercial to try to tempt me into trying some other diet (that is probably a repeat of something that I've already tried and didn't work like no s will :D ), but there's a commercial out that I love - "Kimberly's story" for Medifast. Has anybody else seen it? It shows "fat Kimberly" talking to "thin Kimberly" telling her how she's so beautiful and she's amazed that this was possible, and "thin Kimberly" is telling her that this is all her and saying thanks for having the strength to make it possible. They're both crying and it's just such a cool commercial. :)

I like to imagine that it's "fat" me and "thin" me talking, only I replace medifast with No S. :lol:
Sincerely,
Sarah H.

HoeHanna

strict?

Post by HoeHanna » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:42 pm

You say you've lost weight with this albeit, SLOWLY. Have you been very strict or have you come and gone a lot and do you exercise? I'm thinking of throwing a few moves in with this to kick it up a notch. I'm only on my 3rd day and right now the smell of a roast coking is about to send me off the deep end. So thinking of doing something "like exercise" to take the edge off until it's time to eat lunch. Days off with nothing planned is a problem for grazers like me. WATER! forgot about water, I'll do that and then think about exercise.
Start Date 01/14/13
Beginning Weight 230
Height 5' 6"
Age 59
Let's hope there's hope for the hopeless.

Jonas Jonasson

Post by Jonas Jonasson » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:01 pm

Green since 1 January, now this is an accomplishment!

I have just looked up Conversations with Kimberly. It' so very very different from any commercial I have seen so far

mulliganagain

Post by mulliganagain » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:26 pm

Jonas: Isn't it different?? Most commercials I tune out, but this one just seems so heartfelt and empowering. :D They did a good job with that commercial, I think!

And thank you for your kind words! I can't believe that it's already Jan 17th... it doesn't feel like time should be moving so fast! I'm still in my "honeymoon" period with No S. :D Maybe I really can do this for a whole year... wouldn't that be cool?? :D

Hanna: Honestly the weight that I've lost so far has been a combination of counting calories, counting weight watchers points, intermittent fasting, and no s. I lost weight fastest when I was counting calories, but I've been happiest with no s, which is why I decided to make a goal of making no s a forever-habit, because it's something I can stick with forever. :D Counting calories worked, but I was constantly stressed out, hungry, and just plain miserable, so I knew if I didn't find something else I would just end up gaining everything back.

Intermittent fasting has probably been the biggest aide for me making no s successful, because it taught me how to recognize when I was hungry (vs when I was just bored, depressed, etc), and it helped me to learn that I don't need instant satisfaction for what I consider "negative" feelings. Even if I am a little hungry, it's not the end of the world - I can wait and eat when it's time and it won't kill me. I'm not going to starve to death in a few hours. :) I used to do fast five (fasting for 19 hours a day, and having an eating window of 5 hours), and I still do on my "s" days when I'm not at work and I get to choose when I eat, but during the week I tend to eat two meals - lunch at my lunch time and dinner when I get home (which gives me an eating window of 7 hours, but I don't do a lot of snacking during that time like I used to because of no s!)

I'm pretty strict with my no s, and have lost a little weight since going down this path... I guess a couple ways that I'm not strict is I will allow myself to have a peanut butter and honey sandwich for lunch (even though it's sweet), or I'll have "true lemon" and a no-calorie sweetener in my water to try to keep myself from drinking sodas.

I don't exercise. :( I went through a spell where I walked, but that went away with the coming of the cool weather unfortunately. I want to start shovelgloving, and I have my sledge hammer, but I just haven't gotten into the swing of it yet. :) But I think that exercise is a great way to get your mind off of eating before lunch time! Drinking a lot of water is good too - that's a great idea you had! :D

When I'm trying to get my mind off of eating I also like to read, take a bath, or do chores around the house too. :)

Remember - by not having roast now you're not saying you're NEVER going to have roast..you're just not going to have it at this moment. And the anticipation is the best part anyway, so enjoy the anticipation as much as you're going to enjoy that roast. :D
Sincerely,
Sarah H.

mulliganagain

Post by mulliganagain » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:27 pm

I'm feeling very snacky today. I'm not going to give in, but it makes me wonder... am I snacky because I haven't snacked all week and my defenses are wearing down, or am I snacky because I know tomorrow is an S-day and I know I will be allowed to have a snack and I'm anticipating it?
Sincerely,
Sarah H.

gk

Post by gk » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:27 pm

inswsn wrote:I'm feeling very snacky today. I'm not going to give in, but it makes me wonder... am I snacky because I haven't snacked all week and my defenses are wearing down, or am I snacky because I know tomorrow is an S-day and I know I will be allowed to have a snack and I'm anticipating it?
Probably a little of both. S Days were made for a reason - one can only go so long without having a treat! Also, knowing that you are only hours away from what you've been looking forward to all week can make the tug of willpower a little bit harder.

GOOD JOB for not giving in!!!!!! :D

No BS

Post by No BS » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:23 am

Hi inswsn - I had to pop by and check out your thread.

You are one brave soul - snacks or no snacks!!! Your almost FIVE (count them!!) YEAR presence on this blog is awesome - particularly to another new kid on the block (being almost 54 I am hardly a "kid", lol!!)

Ok, when I am jonesing for a snack I do the following:

1/> drink ice water with fresh squeezed lemon & ice cubes
2/> floss & brush my teeth
3/> have a long hot shower and/or bath with really good tunes & candles
4/> have a glass of wine or a beer or a single malt scotch
5/> crank the tunes & dance my ass off for at least half an hour

If I am still craving "a snack", I have outrageously athletic sex, either alone or with a partner.

Then, before I go to sleep, I plan a ridiculous decadent & gratifying breakfast (ie: smoked arctic char (or smoked salmon) frittata or homemade baltic yogurt, dates, honey & almonds, etc. etc.

And, Sarah, it is not just a 'good job" for not giving in to your snack craving, my dear it is a GREAT JOB!!! And kudos for "shugging", you trailblazer! I am hoarding my almost-virgin sledge hammer & waiting patiently for the spirit to strike!!

The journey of a million meals begins with a single plate!! LOL!! :wink:
If you are not living life on the edge you are taking up too much room!!

mulliganagain

Post by mulliganagain » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:39 pm

gk: Thank you so much! :D You are totally right... we need treats every once in a while! I faced a common problem that I start facing whenever I get into no S... I think about the treats that through out the week I decided to "have during the weekend" and I realized that not only shouldn't I try to fit in all the little goodies, but I don't even want to fit in all of the goodies! Good news is that I realize that I'm going to pick just a few and then leave it at that - the bad news is deciding which ones! LOL

And knowing that I am hours away does help. :D Even though it's an S day right now I'm still a couple hours away (I'm not starting to eat today until 12:30), but it will be totally worth it because me and a friend are going out for Mexican, and then I'm coming home and making gingerbread cake-mix cookies to have a few later on tonight.

AND No S is helping me make better decisions... the Mexican restaurant we're going to is all-you-can-eat and normally I take a little of this and a little of that and a little of everything - but last night I actually planned what I was going to get so that I don't get too full, and I already know that I will eat less but enjoy it more!

No BS: LOL! Thank you, but I signed up 5 years ago... and then actually started posting as of January of this year. :wink: It took me a while to realize that No S is what I wanted to commit to. :D

Thanks for posting stuff that takes your mind off of snacking - we do a lot of the same things! Have you heard of "true lemon"? They've got different "true citrus" productions (that is all natural... just crystalized fruit juices, so it's like squeezing a lemon/lime/orange/grapefruit wedge into your water). I keep true lemon in my purse all the time so that if I'm over some one's house and they're having a snack I can say "No thanks... but do you have a glass of water?" and I can have my lemon water! :D

My favorite tip is brushing your teeth, though. Peppermint really helps me to get rid of cravings - either with brushing my teeth or with popping sugar free gum. I buy BIG bags of peppermint sugar free gum!

Your athletic sex comment made me giggle. :lol: You've got such a strong, cheerful personality - I'm so glad you found your way to the boards to add your voice to the wonderful people who are already here! :D

And the journey of a million meals begins with a single plate... But I'll just take a single plate, thanks, because I don't need any seconds. :wink: LOL![/b]
Sincerely,
Sarah H.

No BS

true lemon

Post by No BS » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:36 pm

Hi Sarah:

Thanks for the tip on "True Lemon". I had not heard of it before but will try & source some on-line.

It's too easy in the office to reflexively reach for a cookie or a muffin without "thinking". Your "True Lemon" would be a good idea at the office. Yorba Mate is good, too, in hot or cold water.

Totally agree with your comment about No "S" helping you to make better decisions. I find planning for three plates oddly liberating - helped me get out of the habit of framing my whole day with food.

mulliganagain

Post by mulliganagain » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:58 pm

No BS: O True Citrus is great in the office, especially because it's so high in vitamin C. I talked our manager into keeping a stock for our office to try to keep everybody from getting sick (and to keep me distracted from snacks, but I didn't use that point when I was introducing the idea of it - LOL! :wink: )

I've never heard of Yorba Mate - I'm going to have to look that up! :D
Sincerely,
Sarah H.

mulliganagain

Post by mulliganagain » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:52 pm

Yesterday was an "S" day for me because it was my dad's birthday. I didn't go insane over the weekend, but I definitely enjoyed my "S" days, and now I'm remembering that "enjoy" for one day doesn't necessarily equal "enjoy" for the next day. Seeing as how I am doing intermittent fasting along with my no S, I think I'm going to fast today to try to balance myself back out again. I'm also going to try to keep a closer eye on myself during "S" days!
Sincerely,
Sarah H.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:44 am

It is definitely important to enjoy the S-days but it does feel better when they are not crazy - especially the day after! I think that automatically encourages learning to tame them over time.
Hope today goes well for you!

mulliganagain

Post by mulliganagain » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:34 pm

That is definitely true, Amy! "S" days are tamer than they would have been in the past, but I need to get an even better handle on it, because it's still a little wilder than I would have liked. I am surely encouraged to work on taming them into the "S" days I need to help me stay strong verses the "S" days I want because of omglookatallthedeliciousfoodmusteateverythingnom! :D

And I notice that "S" days mess me up for days after too, because it's like something inside me starts pouting "...but yesterday we had a cookie... why can't we have a cookie today?" or "...but yesterday we had a little bit more... and that was soooooo good! Can't we have just a little seconds?" Once I get in the habit of not having treats or seconds, it's like that voice goes "okay fine then :P " LOL!
Sincerely,
Sarah H.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:47 am

Yes, sometimes it's hard to get back on track on Monday after a crazy weekend...although I usually do great on Monday, it's the middle of the week that trips me up. Right now I'm still struggling with my N-days, so I guess I shouldn't worry about the weekends - yet! :wink:

Jonas Jonasson

Post by Jonas Jonasson » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:14 pm

"...but yesterday we had a cookie... why can't we have a cookie today?" or "...but yesterday we had a little bit more... and that was soooooo good! Can't we have just a little seconds?"
ha, I laughed my head of when I read this. I could actually see pictures

mulliganagain

Post by mulliganagain » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:10 pm

That's true, Amy - maybe I should look at it the same way... I should worry more about N-days once I get more in the habit of S-days. :wink:

Hmmm... I have the perfect solution - I'll check in on Mondays and you check in mid week, and we'll all rely on each other to stay strong until S-day! :D

WE CAN DO IT! :)

Hehe - yes, Jonas, I'll admit it... I talk to myself regularly. (And more often than not I'm pretty annoying :wink: ) :lol:
Sincerely,
Sarah H.

gk

Post by gk » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:40 pm

inswsn wrote:WE CAN DO IT! :)
YES, WE CAN. Have a great week! :D

mulliganagain

Post by mulliganagain » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:30 pm

Okay, I'm going to admit it... this is going to be a little tricky. I was wanting some of my favorite banana pudding Saturday, so I made some and partook because it was an S-day. :)

My recipe makes a LOT, though, and today we have about a half of a pan of pudding left. Last night my mind was going through the script that has made me "cheat" in the past... "you know that this pudding's not going to be eaten because the rest of the family isn't big on left overs. you like this pudding and you're just going to end up throwing it away if you don't eat it. Maybe you can eat on it just this week - you don't make pudding this often, and if you let it go bad you'll make it even less often because you won't want to waste it!"

But this time is different. This time I recognize that, even though I don't like wasting food (or money!), it's worth letting the pudding go bad to not break my streak. I'm just going to have to remind myself of that later when I'm at home, and it's available and a more immediate threat. :lol:
Sincerely,
Sarah H.

animated

Post by animated » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:45 pm

Good for you inswsn!

You know throwing out half a pan of pudding is less wasteful than breaking a streak of awesome green days!
Height 6'0"
Start Date: Aug 27, 2012
Start Weight : 239.6 lbs
Current Weight : 206.5 lbs
Goal Weight : 199.9 lbs

jasper

Post by jasper » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:59 pm

Why not next time just make half or even a third quantities of the pudding ?

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:51 am

Okay, that's a deal! Good job on the pudding, BTW.
Have a good week!

mulliganagain

Post by mulliganagain » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:52 pm

That's a good idea, Jasper, but it contains certain things that would end up being wasted anyway, rather I put it in the pudding or not, because I have to open the whole can/package and we won't eat it with anything else before it goes bad (like condensed milk). Plus if I tried to change the amounts I'm afraid I'll screw up the pudding and it won't taste as good. :) I do think that next time, though, I'll use two smaller containers, or pie shells or something like that, and make separate puddings so I can take one to a neighbor and keep the other for us. I didn't think of it this time because it's never been an issue before - I've NEVER let pudding go bad in our house! :lol:

I appreciate the encouragement, Amy and Animated. :) That's definitely true... a good streak of green days > some ole pudding :wink:
Sincerely,
Sarah H.

jasper

Post by jasper » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:40 pm

hee hee, never any problem with pudding going to waste in our house till recently either :D

No BS

Post by No BS » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:45 am

There is something incredibly empowering (and liberating) in walking away from your own superfluous leftovers.

Good job!!

mulliganagain

Post by mulliganagain » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:13 pm

Jasper: I wish us both strength, but it's comforting to know that I'm not the only one who has trouble walking away from pudding. :lol:

No BS: You are so right! Every time I opened the fridge I saw that pudding and I said to myself "I could eat that pudding... if I wanted to. But I don't want to!", which is pretty true. :) A part of me did want it, but more of me wanted to stay green. This week I have been grateful for the "honeymoon" stage. :lol:
Sincerely,
Sarah H.

mulliganagain

Post by mulliganagain » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:27 pm

I am a very impatient person. :roll: When I want something I WANT IT NOW! Because of this, I'm glad of how I worded my New Year's challenge this year. I've lost a little weight, but it's not uber obvious yet. My weight loss right now basically equals what my weight was before I started, on a day when I was super "good" that day and I probably wasn't carrying around a lot of water weight.. does that make sense? The "low" end of where my weight tended to fluctuate? So if my New Year's challenge was to simply "lose weight" a part of me would think "blah- it's not worth it! I'll be a bit heavier if that's what it takes to eat candy."

But this morning I reminded myself that my intention wasn't to lose weight... or even to "set up better habits". My intention was simply to follow No S for an entire year, with no other expectations... just to see what happens by the end of the year. I admit, a part of me hopes that the outcome is that I lose weight, but even if I don't... or even if I gain weight, I've still met my challenge as long as I stay green. :)

(This is the frame of mind that I'm keeping myself in while I'm still at the beginning of my lifestyle change and my internal-two year old's whining is threatening to tear down the barriers of my resolve. :lol:)
Sincerely,
Sarah H.

gk

Post by gk » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:21 pm

inswsn wrote:I'll be a bit heavier if that's what it takes to eat candy."

My intention was simply to follow No S for an entire year, with no other expectations... just to see what happens by the end of the year. I admit, a part of me hopes that the outcome is that I lose weight, but even if I don't... or even if I gain weight, I've still met my challenge as long as I stay green. :)

(This is the frame of mind that I'm keeping myself in while I'm still at the beginning of my lifestyle change and my internal-two year old's whining is threatening to tear down the barriers of my resolve. :lol:)
Ha! I've said that to myself before....during one of my food temper tantrums....."I don't care if I'm heavier than before - I want this chocolate bar NOW (scowl on face, lips in pout)". You know, I've noticed this more than once (okay, MANY times) - I have literally lectured my children on not eating too much candy and eating healthier foods, and then promptly turned around (so they can't see) and thrown a 5th handful of candy in my mouth. Ummm......what's wrong with THAT picture??? :roll:

I like your new year's resolution....simple - to the point. I predict by the end of the year, you will have lost weight, but will be most grateful for how No S has changed your outlook/relationship with food. Better habits and the awesome feeling that comes with those habits outweigh weight loss hands-down.

Think GREEN!! :mrgreen:
SW (as of 3/25/13): 172 lbs.
CW: 171 lbs.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:47 am

Very wise, the way your worded your resolution...it is a subtle difference but it makes a big impact to put it like that. I have a very powerful inner 2-year-old as well, the way you deal with yours is inspiring! :wink:
Hang in there!

No BS

Post by No BS » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:32 pm

inswsn wrote:My intention was simply to follow No S for an entire year, with no other expectations... just to see what happens by the end of the year.
I read your words & they sent a shiver of excitement & recognition throughout me! Brilliant brilliant strategy that I too have adopted - instantly - upon reading this!! Thank you so very very much!

No expectations other than walking this No "S" path to see where it leads me. Living in the NOW on this path. Nothing could be simpler or more do-able.

Thank you! :D

HoeHanna

Post by HoeHanna » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:38 pm

I know the habit is what we're changing here but am I a bad sport if I want the whipped topping, nuts & cherries on top forming a good new habit? I know it's important, but I would be lying BIG TIME if I said I didn't care about the weight loss, please, please, PLEASE let it be a side-effect of this no-S thingy.
Start Date 01/14/13
Beginning Weight 230
Height 5' 6"
Age 59

mulliganagain

Post by mulliganagain » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:06 pm

gk: I'm glad I'm not the only one to have thought that! :lol: I like to think that being healthy and losing weight is my biggest priority, but when a craving hits I'd gladly weigh 1000lbs to eat it if that's what it takes! I do notice that my cravings are getting less with no S, though... for instance, hubby wanted me to make strawberry cake today, so I did, and it does look very good but I've yet to have any (even though it's an S day) because I simply don't want it. And it doesn't even seem to bother me that if I don't eat it today I probably won't get any (it'll be gone in just a few days, I'm sure). :D So I'm hoping your prediction is right about the losing weight, and I'm SURE it'll be right about being grateful about how no s has changed my relationship with food, because I already see it changing in ways I like!

I know the feeling about encouraging the kids to not eat candy and such, but then sneaking some. But that's okay because remember, it's a bad habit that you're working on changing, and you're helping your kids by trying to help them not develop the habit! I think it's important for kids to see that treats have a place in our diet as just that... treats. They're not evil, but they're also not breakfast, lunch, and dinner! (As I've been known to have them for... :lol: )

Amy: Maybe we need to set up a babysitting swap... I'll babysit your inner 2 year old sometimes and you can babysit my inner 2 year old sometimes and then we can have an occasional break! :lol:

No BS: Thank you so much! :D Trying to look too far in the future is where I tend to mess up. I seem to be always okay in the now, but then I weigh myself and don't see enough of a change and think "If I'm not going to lose weight for the then, then I'd much rather have candy in the NOW!" But there's been several "nows" that have been saved so far by having a goal that I KNOW I can reach, verses one that's unsure (ie losing a certain amount of weight). I think in a few months, though, I'm going to have to stop weighing myself so that I don't let myself get preoccupied with weight again. LOL!

HoeHanna: no, you're not a bad sport at all! Because in all honesty, I'm lying BIG TIME when I say that I don't care about weight loss. I know that No S makes for slow weight loss so I'm not expecting a TON of weight loss or anything, but I will be uberly sad if I don't lose weight through all this. I'm just trying to convince myself that I don't care so that I don't get frustrated and mess up my efforts. Kind of a little white lie that I keep telling myself over and over again to try to make it true. :lol: A little white lie never hurt anyone. :wink:

I want to send everyone big hugs - I appreciate your support and comments sooooooo much! :D
Sincerely,
Sarah H.

mulliganagain

Post by mulliganagain » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:21 pm

Okay, so remember the medifast commercial that I mentioned liking so much? The one where the lady's skinny self is talking to her fat self? Well, it came on the other day and made me wander over to the medifast website and look around, and I'm thinking about ordering some of the food to try out. Not to actually DO the medifast diet, but the meals are small, full of protein, and would actually not be too bad for me to incorporate into my day.. for instance I'll already have a protein shake and a sandwich for lunch or something like that, so I could have a bag of their chips (which would be a lot healthier than regular chips) with a sandwich just as easy and have some variety.

But then I'm wondering... would that count as me doing another "diet", even if I don't really follow that diet? Does that make sense? If I feel that the foods can be incorporated into my No-S lifestyle, should I still stay away from it simply because it's food associated with a particular kind of "diet"? I mean, No-S can be used with different diets anyway, because No S isn't a "diet" it's a lifestyle, right?

What do you all think?

I'm really excited about the super bowl today, btw - our neighbors are coming over and bringing shake-and-bake chicken wings for the meat eaters, and I made a big veggie platter with broccoli, baby carrots, small sweet peppers and sugar snap peas with spicy ranch sour cream dip for me to snack on and for them to have with their wings. I just feel very healthy that we're opting for the veggie platter instead of less-healthy stuff. :D
Sincerely,
Sarah H.

HoeHanna

Post by HoeHanna » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:20 am

For ME, incorporating smarter choices onto our plates of food doesn't really count as another diet. I like to imagine the whole point of no-s is to be creative while making healthy choices and developing better habits. I know I'm trying new things while still trying to stick to the rule; so sugar, so snacks, no seconds. Sorry to say our super bowl get-together was not really healthy and all discipline was thrown out the window. "Sun'll come out tomorrow, bet yer bottom dollar".
Start Date 01/14/13
Beginning Weight 230
Height 5' 6"
Age 59

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:14 am

Sarah, I have to say, I LOVE the idea of leaving my inner child with a babysitter :lol: - what a relief that would be!

I don't really know what to tell you about your idea about Medifast...I think that if it would help you put together healthier plates without putting yourself back into the diet mindset (and moving your focus to losing weight rather than just doing No-S), then it would be okay.

It's funny, I was just thinking this morning while having my breakfast that when I am doing No-S without any other restrictions (aside from my aspiration to eat as "plant-strong" as possible) I tend to actually make healthier choices all around. Whereas when I get all gung ho for some super restrictive program (like the three or four times I have tried to do the Eat to Live 6 week program) I end up rebounding really bad, and over the long run end up eating way unhealthier and having a harder time to get back on track. So perhaps be aware that there might be a risk involved? Just my two cents, but I hope it helps!

Have a great Monday!

gk

Post by gk » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:02 pm

The more I think "diet", the worse I do. In my experience, if I just look at No S as a structure of when to eat (not WHAT to eat), I tend to relax a bit and quit obsessing about how well I'm doing, and in turn actually do better (with what foods I choose for each plate). But, that's just me - I tend to over-obsess about stuff. :)

What I now like to keep in mind while I'm attempting to change my eating habits is not to start anything (food-wise) that I can't continue forever. I've done SO many diets where I have to eat a certain way or certain things that I never stick to them. I think that's why I like No S....no certain foods....nothing taken away (at least only for five days at a time :wink:), and it's eating.....normally. I'm trying to teach myself to just simply "eat normal", as my husband would say. :)

Good luck with whatever you decide. I think it all comes down to personal preference - whatever works for YOU. That's what I like about the No S Board. There are so many different ways to approach this diet.....you can see whatever everyone else is doing and then combine it in a way that suits you best. :)

Have a great week! :)

mulliganagain

Post by mulliganagain » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:42 pm

I appreciate everyone's input! :) I think I am going to order some of the medifast stuff to incorporate into my meals when I run out of protein powder. :D

HoeHanna: I'm like you - I try to think of the point being to make smarter choices, and I think that's what I was battling with... am I considering the medifast smarter choices, or am I getting smitten by the shininess of a diet that I haven't tried yet. I finally decided that it's just "smarter choices" for me, because I use protein supplements anyway, and I'm not thinking of doing only the medifast food. :)

The good news about the Super Bowl is it was on Sunday, which is an "s" day anyway, so it's okay to indulge a little. :D I hope your week is feeling on track!

Amy: Wouldn't it??? But then my inner child is where most of my fun comes from.. if she had a babysitter I'd probably just eat a big plate of brussel sprouts, spend the afternoon cleaning, and finally go to bed at a reasonable hour. :P LOL! :wink:

((okay so some of that is fun.. brussel sprouts are my favorite food! :D Well, besides pizza. :roll: hehe))

Your advice definitely helps, TYVM. :D I know what you mean... when I get myself in the "diet" mind-frame I immediately want to binge, where I don't want to binge when I'm not in a diet mind-frame. This is where I personally like thinking of no s as a diet sometimes, because it's kind of re-programming the idea of "diet" in my mind, and I realize that it's not so bad instead of automatically thinking "OMGMUSTEATEVERYTHING!" because I know I'm about to try to deprive myself. :shock:

gk: That's what I was thinking too - that if it's what I want to eat then I should, because No S tells me when to eat not what to eat, but I have to make sure it's what I actually want to eat. :) And that's not over obsessing about stuff - I think that's thinking about stuff just right! :D I"m starting to realize that my "forever" will always include some kind of protein supplement... a normal vegetarian diet contains plenty of protein (it's a myth that vegetarians are super low in protein), but I'm the first to admit that I have a horrible diet so I'm probably low in that and just about everything else too. :P My diet's better than it used to be, though... baby steps, I guess! :D [/i]
Sincerely,
Sarah H.

mulliganagain

Post by mulliganagain » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:49 pm

Our neighbors brought over their yonana machine for the Superbowl too, and my husband-the-ice-cream-fanatic promptly ordered one before he even finished his first bowl. He wants to lose weight too and figures that replacing his ice cream with frozen fruit could be a good step. :) I told him that I would even be okay with him having "ice cream" for breakfast this way, and it would be really good with some dry cereal and peanut butter mixed in. :) I'm excited - I love sorbet but it's soooo expensive. :shock:

Considering it's only frozen fruit (unless you add mix ins) this thing is going to get a prime place on the counter, because it will be good to have some on my plate with dinner when I'm craving something sweet but it's not an S day. :lol:
Sincerely,
Sarah H.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:17 pm

I've never heard of that appliance, sounds yummy!

mulliganagain

Post by mulliganagain » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:25 pm

it's kind of neat. :) it works kind of like a blender, but honestly i think it makes it creamier - you just put frozen bananas and other frozen fruit into the chute, and soft serve-like sorbet comes out the spout! :) my dad tried some and still doesn't believe that it was only bananas and no cream or sugar or anything.
Sincerely,
Sarah H.

SpiritSong

Post by SpiritSong » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:45 pm

Wow, I want one! :shock:

HoeHanna

Post by HoeHanna » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:58 pm

I'd make room on my counter for one. Looking into it now. Thanks!
Start Date 01/14/13
Beginning Weight 230
Height 5' 6"
Age 59

Jonas Jonasson

Post by Jonas Jonasson » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:10 pm

Your signature hasn't changed yet, chapeau!

mulliganagain

Post by mulliganagain » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:10 pm

I'll let you both know how we like it, SpiritSong and HoeHanna! :D I saw it advertised on tv at first and I'm baaaad about buying made-for-tv stuff (and 99% of the time they're no good :( ), so I was apprehensive, but our experience with our neighbor's was promising and plus if we don't end up liking it I can blame it on my husband because he bought it. :lol:

My neighbors were originally attracted to it because they do weight watchers, and fruits are "free" so it was a lot more attractive than ice cream. :wink:
Sincerely,
Sarah H.

gk

Post by gk » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:10 am

inswsn wrote:it's kind of neat. :) it works kind of like a blender, but honestly i think it makes it creamier - you just put frozen bananas and other frozen fruit into the chute, and soft serve-like sorbet comes out the spout! :) my dad tried some and still doesn't believe that it was only bananas and no cream or sugar or anything.
This sounds great! Yum!! :)

No BS

Post by No BS » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:16 pm

When I was researching on the internet for healthy cookie/cake recipes (for me that means recipes that don't use processed sugar or flour and use real food ingredients, instead) I discovered one blog that has protein powder in all of her baking recipes.

The blogger uses organic, high quality, whey powder. She likes adding some "ooomph" to her healthy baking. I must admit I think it is a tremendous idea. Particularly in snacks used when traveling by skidoo in extreme cold.

What do you use protein powder for, inswsn?

mulliganagain

Post by mulliganagain » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:03 pm

gk: I'll have to post about my adventures with yonana once we start using it.. that way if it ends up being a dud after all you all can get the heads up. :wink: My neighbor uses hers all the time - for her it certainly wasn't a dud! :lol:

No BS: That's what I'd like to get into - healthy baking. I want to make healthy muffins and stuff like that to bring to work for lunch, but I'm so lazy that I tend to bake out of a box. :roll: But even if you take a boxed cake mix or whatever (during S days, of course!) and healthy it up it's better than doing nothing!

Sometimes I'll drink protein shakes, but I really like to make what I call "cream pie" with protein powder. :) It's soooo good and filling! Basically I'll take two packets of plain oatmeal and make them with water, then I add a scoop of protein powder and maybe a packet of no-cal sweetener (it depends how I'm feeling that day) and I'll mix it up really well, then I'll stir in a serving of vanilla greek yogurt - it tastes so creamy and the oatmeal texture is so satisfying... it's like a healthy dessert for a meal! Between the yogurt and the protein powder it's got so much protein, and it's got all the goodness of oatmeal in it.. o man now I'm craving it and wish I would have brought it for lunch today! And the fun part is mixing flavors.. like you could use strawberry yogurt and strawberry powder and make a strawberry "cream pie", or any combinations of protein powder/yogurt flavor you can think of. :) I always tend to use the plain oatmeal as a base, though.

Plain protein powder is good in soups and stuff like that too, but you have to be careful that it's not too hot or it'll get all weird. :?
Sincerely,
Sarah H.

mulliganagain

Post by mulliganagain » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:14 pm

Okay... I think I'm going to have to do some changing up.

For the longest time I did "Fast Five", with an eating window from about 2-7. It made me feel a LOT better... I didn't constantly think about food, I seemed to naturally make better food choices, and I had an overall better relationship with food. :-) It didn't feel like a diet, it felt like a lifestyle that my body naturally wanted to lead, but I tended to graze and I grazed too much, so while I lost some weight it didn't seem perfect for me.. that's one reason why I thought about adding No S into the mix.

When I did add No S, I opened my window (a meal at 12 becuase that's when my lunch is at work, and a meal at about 6:30 when I get home from work)... but I've noticed that lately I've been feeling hungry ALL the time and thinking about food ALL the time again, and I've been having pretty intense cravings that I thought I was over. I think I've been eating too big of meals, and the spacing of opening my window 2 hours earlier has thrown me all out of whack, so I've thought of a mod that may be helpful for me.

I'm pushing my lunch back until 2 again and I'll just eat at my desk, but I think I'm going to try to eat something discrete that can be eaten over time like dry cereal.. that way I can technically have one plate, but if I don't eat it all at one time that's okay. I'm not going over my one plate, but I can have a couple bites here... a couple bites there.. it won't interfere with me working, and I can rely on my body to let me know if I'm hungry. If I'm not hungry I'll get into working and won't think about the cereal, and so I may not eat my whole plate. It's grazing technically, but it's grazing within my one plate limit, so I'm satisfied that I'm holding true to the No S spirit and how it can best be applied to my needs.

I just have to figure out how to get back in control of my feelings about food, or I may lose control - and I don't want to do that!
Sincerely,
Sarah H.

No BS

Post by No BS » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:32 pm

I am constantly astonished & amazed on this BB at the kazillion different successful approaches people adopt to nourish themselves!

Most important thing, IMHO, is what works best for you. :wink:

"To thine own self be true."

mulliganagain

Post by mulliganagain » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:07 pm

I totally agree, No BS! :D

Nothing is for everybody, because every body's different. :)
Sincerely,
Sarah H.

MJ7910

Post by MJ7910 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:37 pm

what is this website with the dessert/protein powder recipes? did i miss a link to it? that sounds interesting.

yes i agree that there are many ways to do something. to each, their own, right... for me i tried a window of seven hours and it made it worse! so i do 7am, 11:30 am, 5pm... that works wonders for me. i can't let myself get too hungry or bad things start to happen! i call it "i turn into a pumpkin" syndrome. :)
Current BMI: 22.9. Height: 5'4.5"
Highest BMI: 25.5 in August 2011.
Lowest adult BMI: 20.8 in February 2012.

mulliganagain

Post by mulliganagain » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:12 pm

MJ - it's not a website... that's my own recipe. :D Well, it may be on a website somewhere, but I haven't seen it yet. :wink:

Hehe - a friend of mine calls it "punkinating" when she's tired. :wink: When you said that you call it "i turn into a pumpkin" syndrome it reminded me of that. :D When I first tried intermittent fasting I didn't think it would be for me... I was so hungry at first!!! But now that I'm used to it, it's actually uncomfy if I don't do it. :D It's like my body was fighting it and then all of a sudden said "oh - ok. I like this better anyway." :lol:
Sincerely,
Sarah H.

MJ7910

Post by MJ7910 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:03 am

ok so what is the recipe! ?
Current BMI: 22.9. Height: 5'4.5"
Highest BMI: 25.5 in August 2011.
Lowest adult BMI: 20.8 in February 2012.

mulliganagain

Post by mulliganagain » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:06 am

For the "cream pie"? I just take two packets of oatmeal and mix it with water, then add a scoop of protein powder and a packet of sweetener and mix it up really well, then stir in a serving of vanilla greek yogurt. :) That's it! So simple! :D
Sincerely,
Sarah H.

Jonas Jonasson

Post by Jonas Jonasson » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:14 am

Hi Inswsni,
I wish you a wonderful weekend!

No BS

Post by No BS » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:49 pm

inswsn, I found a gluten free/sugar free recipe for angel food cake. It is absolutely spectacular!! You can tart it up on the plate with fruit compote or whatever rocks your boat.

Healthy & delicious. :D Here is the link if you are interested.

http://simplysugarandglutenfree.com/angel-food-cake/

I suspect people don't fully realize how easy it is to bake in healthy creative ways that don't take a toll on your body.