Second go

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Jonas Jonasson

Second go

Post by Jonas Jonasson » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:16 am

Started again on 7 January. Cannot exactly remember why I did not go on with it the first time but the other day I read a thread about someone's husband just following the three rules without fussing about it. Sounded like a good idea to me. So far only successes. Well it has only been three days so far but the last time I only managed two s's (esses?) out of three on a good day for weeks. But I always managed to find good explanations for failing.

Yesterday: Success
Disclaimer (still applicable):
If a person is fairly new to English their English words and expressions are influenced by their mother tongue, so things that might sound impolite to you are not always meant in that way.

eschano

Post by eschano » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:57 am

Hi Jonas, welcome back!
Your disclaimer is hilarious. I'm Austrian so totally get where you're coming from :wink:
Good start!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

mulliganagain

Post by mulliganagain » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:33 pm

Hey, Jonas!

Don't say "only" 3 days... you have to have 3 "success" days before you can have 300 - you should be proud that you've gotten yourself off to a great start! :D

I agree with eschano - I love your disclaimer! It made me smile. :)
Sincerely,
Sarah H.

Starting BMI: 41.03/Current BMI: 33.53/Healthy BMI: 19-24

No S + Following "My Plate Guidelines"

Jonas Jonasson

Post by Jonas Jonasson » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:19 pm

First of all
But it was kind of hardish. Seemed to get a bit jiggely the last hour before dinner. Maybe there is too much time between my meals (7am - 1.30pm - 8pm), maybe it was because of the weather, the family being ill, or it was what it was, whatever, I have resisted.
But I have learned how much eating is an event in itself, something you do (I do) before/instead of the next step - I do not know how to express it - an alibi activity?
And how much comfort there is in food, "Let's just have some nice biccies and then we'll see..." or maybe rather the power to dampen discomfort.
I have resisted :D
If a person is fairly new to English their English words and expressions are influenced by their mother tongue, so things that might sound impolite to you are not always meant in that way.

Jonas Jonasson

Post by Jonas Jonasson » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:37 am

Much better. I just ate more
Saturday and Sunday will be S-days, of course. I am very much looking forward to tomorrow. In the afternoon we will meet at a friend's garden, there will be a fire with a kettle of Glühwein (hot spice wine?) and one with hot apple juice and everybody brings their leftovers from Christmas (well, not the cooked food obviously) but the sweets (S-day, S-day, lalalala), biscuits, cake and stollen and we pile it up. And eat it. Well, only me and all the children, the grown-ups will probably only nibble at the odd biscuit.
Just have to succeed today. :?

fizzylolly

Post by fizzylolly » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:41 pm

Wow! tomorrow afternoon sounds like lots of fun!!! nothing better than sitting round an open fire munching on delicious food... enjoy! :D
Height: 5' 9"
SW: 14st 7lbs (205lbs)
BMI 29.8

mulliganagain

Post by mulliganagain » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:36 pm

Good job on your successes, Jonas! I'm so proud of you! :D

I know that jiggely feeling that you're talking about... where you're starting to anticipate food and it sounds really good and comforting but you know it's not time. I get that too about an hour before lunch! I always pop some sugar free peppermint gum in my mouth when that happens. For me it HAS to be peppermint because it for some reason helps to squelch the hunger. Sometimes I'll have some coffee too and the peppermint-and-coffee combo is yummy. :D

O goodness the party in your friend's garden sounds so nice and cozy! There's just one problem... my invitation was lost in the mail! :shock: hehe just kidding! :wink: Stay strong and enjoy your garden party when it's time - you've been staying so strong and you've earned a special treat! :D
Sincerely,
Sarah H.

tobiasmom

Hey

Post by tobiasmom » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:20 pm

Welcome back! This has nothing to do with No-S, but I wanted to say we came super close to naming our newborn son Jonas! I love it. I don't know anybody named Jonas...except you now! We ended up using the name Lincoln Joseph (instead of Jonas).

Anyway, I promise I'm not some crazy lady. I just thought it was cool to see the name.

Have a wonderful S weekend!

Jonas Jonasson

Post by Jonas Jonasson » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:39 pm

So,
let me see
Friday: Success
(I think, we had homemade pizza and I had to do some virtual plating because I couldn't possibly have seized the first baking tray to fill my plate and told the others to wait for the second one telling them that this was part of my diet)
Saturday and Sunday (also starting with an S in German): S-days. Success. :D
At first I had the feeling that my good habits carried over, it definitely felt weird to eat in a different way. I quite behaved on the "Bring-your-last-Christmas-goodies-and-eat-it-in-our-garden" party maybe because half-frozen cake and chocolate is just not as yummie but I sort of freaked out Sunday night (last chance) but not much worse than on pre-No-S Sunday nights.
@inswsn I will try your peppermint-and-coffee combo, sounds delicious. And I'll tell my friends to invite you to their party next January
Didn't feel bad on Monday morning and definitely not deprived either. 8)

mulliganagain

Post by mulliganagain » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:03 pm

heehee- thanks! :wink:

I'm glad you had such a great weekend - now on to a great week! :D

Jonas Jonasson

Post by Jonas Jonasson » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:06 am

Yesterday: SUCCESS

Makes me a bit suspicious, all these successes, I just hope I am not cheating subconsciously, maybe my plates are a bit overloaded? Well, I am going to worry about this after I have completed the first 21 days.
N-days feel quite good actually. Was at a friend's yesterday who is doing WW, she pitied me (I think) because I didn't have any of her biscuits. But I had just had a nice lunch, and I pitied her in turn when I saw her packing two cans of yucky WW tins of pasta whatever into the basket she takes to work.
Can you actually say "to pity someone" :?:

Jonas Jonasson

Post by Jonas Jonasson » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:31 pm

Just had this really huge lunch (sandwich made of 2 slices of wholemeal bread with cheese, a pear, 2 soft pretzels with butter, 1 yoghurt with a couple of spoonfuls of muesli). Had to compensate. Don't know exactly what, I have been feeling tense the whole day and was just ready to give in to the whispering s-es shortly before lunch when I had to collect sick child2 from kindergarten. Distraction. So I ended up squeezing all the above onto my plate. It fit. No sweets, no snacks, no seconds. I wonder whether this really was No S compliant after all. Will decide this tonight after supper.
And it didn't even help, still feeling tense. :evil:

mulliganagain

Post by mulliganagain » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:13 am

I wouldn't worry about having a big lunch - I think you're doing great! :D Different people may feel differently, but IMHO it's better to have a bigger lunch if you think you're going to need it than to not have enough and get the munchies and want to snack. Sometimes we need a bigger lunch and that's okay, because you're recognizing what you need and not just eating out of boredom of or something! Go you! :D

And yes, you can say "to pity someone". :) I think it's funny that you both pitied the other because of chosen diets. I think people on "diets" empathize with other people on diets, even if they're different diets! :lol:

Jonas Jonasson

Post by Jonas Jonasson » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:49 am

You're right we both empathize as well but both of us feel to have chosen the best way/lifestyle and she probably thought: "Poor girl she isn't even allowed one single biscuit in the afternoon" and I thought "I just hate tinned pasta" as well as the idea to do all this accounting. Luckily I wasn't asked to join her at her meetings.

Okay, and I had just decided that yesterday was a failure because of my big lunch, but if inswsn says it's okay it should be okay.:lol:
Yesterday: SUCCESS
We're invited to a restaurant Friday night. I was wondering if a relative is close enough to invite you to a restaurant to celebrate their birthday is he/she also close enough to make it an S-day? Maybe, but then I think the food there is not S-day worthy (this probably sounds snobbish, never look a gift horse in the mouth, but still most of the meals are prefabricated but I really look forward to meeting the others) so I will be an N-day. Hopefully.

Jonas Jonasson

Post by Jonas Jonasson » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:20 pm

oh my,
FAILURE today, I think.
I had promised the children to take them to an ice cream parlour (yes, it's minus 10 degrees Celsius here right now - but they know what they are entitled to) after their doctor's appointment. I did not feel like consuming the umpteenth black coffee/espresso today so I had a cappuccino. Between two meals.
The good thing is: I sort of ignored it and just had my usual very big one plate tonight. Even so.
I feel a bit silly, I am grown-up and a reasonably reasonable person and I just can't stick to such easy rules. :evil:

mulliganagain

Post by mulliganagain » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:51 pm

Don't be mean to yourself. It's hard to change habits, and you're doing so well. Even if you slip sometimes, you deserve to be proud of and celebrate your victories!

Good luck at the restaurant Friday night - you can do it!! :D

Jonas Jonasson

Post by Jonas Jonasson » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:46 pm

Thank you, inswsn
Now that the first days' enthusiasm has evaporated I somehow do not think that I am doing well at all. I have decided not to weigh myself until the first 21 days have passed - successful or not - but I entertain the suspicion that my jeans are getting tighter (whereas my WW-friend's are probably dangling by now :lol: ) and I suspect this might have something to do with my plates (Do you intend to eat all this, mum?).
On the other hand, I did not have any sweets on my N days, and my only failure was a cup of unsweetened real cappuccino which is just absolutely amazing compared to my daily intake of sweets before starting nos. So the sweets autopilot has been switched of and on good days I do not think too much about food between meals, which is also new and wonderful. So, if I just managed to stick with nos AND was able to downsize my meals...
Otherwise: Today: Success.

Jonas Jonasson

Post by Jonas Jonasson » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:10 pm

Okay,
So the restaurant Friday night was okay my pasta was drowning in olive oil but since that is not forbidden: Success on Friday.
The weekend was soso, I didn't exactly pig out but it was not beautiful.
The good thing was that went for a run (or for sth. similar...) for the first time since June. I used to run quite lot and quite long and I would have laughed at the 14 minutes' routine then... Well things have changed quite a bit.

Today seems to be easier than last week. Hopefully.

Jonas Jonasson

Post by Jonas Jonasson » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:45 pm

We had (whateverthismaybecalledinEnglish) Geschnetzeltes with rice for dinner. And today I felt like junk food so I had (also untranslatable) Hawaii toast.
The 14 minutes were okay, my plates are beginning to be recognizable under the heaps of food so far so good. But somehow I have the feeling that I am in for a fail today. Want.to.have.something.really.nice.And.sweet.

Jonas Jonasson

Post by Jonas Jonasson » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:01 pm

and will assume full responsibility

mulliganagain

Post by mulliganagain » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:41 pm

Stay strong! You can do it!

Something really nice and sweet will taste even better on an "S" day, because you've had the chance to anticipate it. :D
Sincerely,
Sarah H.

Jonas Jonasson

Post by Jonas Jonasson » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:06 am

You were so right, as usual, inswsn.

Was at a friend's and I knew she was going to make wafers and I was determined to have at least one, but I didn't, coffee and a very nice chat was more than enough. Sometimes company is better than everything else.

So I feel kind of heroish today, I just hope I will be able to cherish (?) this feeling. And: Yesterday night I put one bucket less on my plate than I would have done earlier this month, and I didn't even finish my plate.
Success, success, success
Breakthrough? A trap?
Did my exercise as well this morning. And Wednesday means only two more days to go until the next S-day.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:22 am

Good for you! Hang onto that feeling!

Jonas Jonasson

Post by Jonas Jonasson » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:07 pm

Thank you, Amy!

Maybe I should call my thread "Triple Daily CheckIn" :oops: but the end justifies the means...
I am so excited. I just had my lunch: a reasonably sized bowl of yesterday's Spaghetti con Veggies with grated cheese, 1 yoghurt with two spoonfuls of muesli, a kaki fruit, and a clementine. Still quite a lot but that's not the point now. The point is: I did not have my clementine because I was more than full. I was able to stop eating, I did not eat everything even though I was clearly entitled to it, I waived something to eat being fully aware that it would have to fit on my dinner plate if I was going to have it later on, I did not think: I will also have this clementine it healthy after all... (it's an ex-parrot, it has ceased to be...)
Oh, wow. Something like this has not happened to me in ages.
It feels like this is going to work for me, even if I do not like the number on my scales when I am going to weigh myself after the first 21 days so much has already changed for the better, hurrah. I wonder what this is going to be like after the first calendar month, after the first 100 days, the first half year...
Have to calm down a bit :roll:
Not sure whether all of this really was English but I can see my point.

mulliganagain

Post by mulliganagain » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:07 pm

We're all right, but sometimes we're just too close to the situation to do what we know needs to be done. :wink: You're definitely my hero for staying strong! :D I'm so proud of you!

No doubt it's a breakthrough, all the success you've been having... and you've earned it every step of the way! :)
Sincerely,
Sarah H.

Jonas Jonasson

Post by Jonas Jonasson » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:10 pm

Thank you, inswsn. Praise from you means a lot to me, just look at what you have mastered so far

I am feeling a bit obsessive right now going on and on, but the simple joy of feeling more-or-less-normal when it comes to eating quite overwhelmed me.
I suspect things will get harder again, but then I will read all this drivel and remind myself of this feeling.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:00 am

The feeling of mastery over eating behavior is a wonderful thing! :D
I know what you mean - I had that shortly after starting No-S last spring. Am struggling to get it back right now. So...yes, it might get harder, you might (or might not) have a period of time where it feels like a struggle - it does for a lot of people. But I guess knowing that wonderful feeling of freedom that No-S gave me the first time around, is reason enough to stay away forever from counting points or calories. And brings me right back here to try again. Try and try again until I get it ingrained. For most of the long term people here, that is how it went.

Good luck to you and enjoy this great feeling to the fullest!

Jonas Jonasson

Post by Jonas Jonasson » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:00 am

Again: Thank you Amy. :D I didn't have that feeling of mastery over eating behaviour when I tried to do No S the last (first) time. I had set up a separate habitcal for each of the Nos and it simply did not work out. I never seemed to be able to succeed in all the three of them at one time.
This time it's completely different.
After today and my Weekend S-days I will have completed the first 21 days.
I will check my weight and see whether something has changed there as well.
Then I think I will have to work on the size of my plates or rather on the number of shovels of food. But this also seems to change gradually, today I was going to have two bread rolls with (cream) cheese and a mandarine and I did not have the second half of my second roll although it was a nice and crispy spelt roll from my favourite baker. Not really exciting for the rest of the world but for me, previously I would have eaten the whole roll without thinking about it, today I just left it on my plate without thinking about it.
Victory
I am still a bit sceptical though, maybe I have gained two kilos over the past weeks. :roll: But even then I would regard it as a victory.

mulliganagain

Post by mulliganagain » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:48 pm

You're doing so good and making so many awesome strides - don't let the scale derail that no matter what it says. :D

Scale numbers fluctuate so much... when it comes down to it, the scale's a big ole liar most of the time. :P
Sincerely,
Sarah H.

Jonas Jonasson

Post by Jonas Jonasson » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:11 pm

when it comes down to it, the scale's a big ole liar most of the time.
and those insincere jeans pretending to be too tight not to mention those new bulges I feel when I press my arms to my body: devious to the point of genius :lol:

mulliganagain

Post by mulliganagain » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:36 pm

Lol! ok - the scale may lie, but your body doesn't :wink:
Sincerely,
Sarah H.

Jonas Jonasson

Post by Jonas Jonasson » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:26 pm

Stepped on the scales after the first 21 days. Surprise, surprise, my weight is still the same. Patience will be my middle name.

I think my plan for the rest of the month and February is to fine tune my plates and to be more consistent when it comes to exercising.

S-days were a bit ugly, at least Sunday, Sunday nights are bad I always act like it is my last chance to ever eat something fun, which I know is not true. Have to work on that as well.

I feel very good about No S, although I prefer N days for the time being. It's easier when you don't have to decide.

Jonas Jonasson

Post by Jonas Jonasson » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:05 am

I have just finished my 14 minutes absolute minimum of compliance exercise routine. I have the feeling that the 14 minutes aren't getting me very far but then again not exercising has not got me very far, either.
Chicken pox rules this house so I won't be able to go running before the weekend anyway.
I think I was able to put less on my plates (breakfast: 1 banana, 1 yoghurt with muesli, 1 slice of wholemeal bread; lunch: three medium-size slices of bread with cheese, some plums & tomatoes; dinner: grapes and plums and tomatoes, some small cubes of parmesan cheese, some cold leftover Kassler style pork and two slices of crisp bread) and I did not really mind that my schedule was a bit crazy: breakfast at 7am, lunch at 3pm, dinner at 9.30 pm.
Today might be a problem though. We are going to a concert and I do not know if I will be able to have dinner before we leave and I neither know if I can have something to eat there. I will probably starve a bit and then we'll go to a fast food place afterwards and I'll have to mark the day as failed. Or wait a minute, maybe I'll take a dinner plate with me in the car and take it into McDonald's and put only lawful stuff on it :lol:

mulliganagain

Post by mulliganagain » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:48 pm

You can take your dinner plate into McDonalds and if they ask what you're doing just let them know that you're classing up your McED's a little! :wink:
Sincerely,
Sarah H.

Jonas Jonasson

Post by Jonas Jonasson » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:51 am

I shouldn't have worried about last night's dinner, the babysitter cancelled at very short notice so I could not go. :evil:
I was a bit sad&mad but at least I didn't fall back on comfort food.

Breakfast: 3 slices of homemade bread, some grapes and plums and tomatoes
Lunch: Mountains of rice and turkey with pineapple and curry sauce
Dinner: small servicing of rice-pineapple-turkey salad (=leftovers), 1 slice of bread with butter, some fruit, some small cubes of cheese

Doing NoS seems to be a no brainer at the moment.
And there seems to be a downward trend in my weight provided that Ms. Scales is not a notorious liar.

Now I will do my 14 minutes in order to get a sense of achievement.
I am not in the best mood today, maybe it's the weather, a couple of days ago it was minus 10 degrees Celsius and todays it's plus 14. Weird.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:54 am

Sorry to hear about the babysitter and the chicken pox - you've been having a rough week! Glad to hear the No-S habits are getting automatic, though - isn't that a great feeling?

No BS

Post by No BS » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:34 am

Jonas, good for you!!

You know your hard work on No "S" is worth it when good eating habits stick even when you're upset!!

Good job!!

No "S" really is a framework to safety shelter your weight & diet from the emotional roller coaster and wear and tear of every day life. :wink:
If you are not living life on the edge you are taking up too much room!!

Jonas Jonasson

Post by Jonas Jonasson » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:44 am

Thank you Amy and No BS for your encouraging words, this means a lot to me :)

There's triumph in so many little situations, when I was playing games with the spotted chickenpoxies yesterday I felt ridiculously proud when I thought that I did not feel the need to check the goodies cupboard (cabinet?) every so often for something to munch on. Like an addict. :shock:

Breakfast: Joghurt with muesli, some fruit, small slice of homemade bread
Lunch: Two soft pretzels with quite a lot of butter, some cucumber, red pepper and tomatoes
Dinner: Potatoes with meat sauce

I have have started to chew sugar free fruit chewing-gum but I do not know if that's a good idea when I read about artificial sweeteners in the book and that you're supposed to live with less sweets...

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:16 am

Good job! Hard to do when dealing with sick children, hang in there!

No BS

Post by No BS » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:37 pm

Jonas Jonasson wrote: There's triumph in so many little situations,.
So true. We just have to make sure we are moving slow enough and are honest enough to recognize the little situations and savour them!! Life is all about the little situations!!

I always say "keep looking for the pearls, they are always there and make my life seem so easy when I keep finding them all over the place!!"

Good stuff, Jonas! :D

Jonas Jonasson

Post by Jonas Jonasson » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:08 am

Life is all about the little situations!!
Even truer, No BS

Breakfast: The usual yoghurt with muesli, small slice of bread, grapes
Lunch: Leftover meat sauce with Farfalle and grated cheese, 1 carrot, 1 pear, some grapes
Dinner: A big but not huge plate of homemade very yummy tomatoe sauce (has to cook for hours) with Bavette and 2 slices of baguette bread.

My previous habit (finishing the plate if it's yummy independent of whether or not I'm still hungry) won and the funny (well not exactly funny but remarkable) thing was: I had really bad stomach ache afterwards, this has never happened to me before, I simply couldn't get too full and I looked at other (thin) people in disbelief when they said they've had too much after a meal so that they did not feel well. You live, you learn.

I have decided to weigh myself at the beginning/end of each month on three consecutive days and take the average of the results. If this is a reliable method I seem to have lost more than 1 kg in the first month.
This seems to be working. I'm amazed.

Have to do my silly workout routine. And I just hope that my S-days will not be too wild.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:24 am

Woo hoo for the first kg! Here's to another successful month!
I was amazed with what you wrote on my thread about your experience with running - we both really went through the same thing, at the same time, and on the same continent :wink: (I live in Belgium).
Is there anything you can do about the heel spur?
Have a great Friday and don't stress about the S-days too much!

No BS

Post by No BS » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:22 pm

Good job, Jonas!!

Have super great weekend, ENJOY all the little situations!!

Look for pearls & you will find them! :D

Jonas Jonasson

Post by Jonas Jonasson » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:50 pm

Thank you, BS!
And you, too, Amy,
To cut a long story short: I've have tried most cures but there does not seem much I can do about my foot. I have decided that it won't be chronic, every time the pain gets less I try to run gently but every time it gets worse the next day... I have tried cycling but that's just not the same.
For the time being I have this step aerobics routine which I use to strengthen my foot muscles and as soon as the muscles are thicker than the spur I will be able to run without problems... No, I will keep trying and maybe losing some weight will do the trick.

Friday: Success

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:53 am

That's pretty much how my hip has been for the past four years...and I agree with you on biking - it's a mode of transportation, not enjoyment!

No BS

Post by No BS » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:16 pm

Speaking of modes of transportation, one I absolutely adore using up here in the snow & cold, when the light comes back, is my kicksled. It is such a hoot.

We have so few vehicles in the village (more skidoos) that I can effortlessly kick my way down the middle of the street, with my store parcels or groceries safely piled on the seat or hanging off the handles. It is a lot of fun.

Our roads are hard packed, dense snow which are absolutely perfect for the kicksled gliders. I usually can use it for three months before the roads start melting & too much gravel shows.

Jonas Jonasson

Post by Jonas Jonasson » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:53 pm

This is going to be my personal rant about this last week.

When I mentioned the chicken pox and the unreliable babysitter Amy said that I had been having a rough week.

And I had not even mentioned that I had had a dentist's appt. on Monday and that the dentist's chair went out of order when I was lying on it head down way below the rest of my body, upper jaw numbed and all and I had to climb down - not very dignified.
On Friday when I went shopping, very exhausted because I had to be at a kindergarten to deliver my goods for their flea market before collecting my own children from another kindergarten, throwing the shopping into the trolley a 2 kg net of onions got entangled with the car keys around my neck. Took some minutes to get it off... I survived and rushed to the kindergarten with a laundry basket full of children's clothes a scooter in the other hand - and nobody was there. The flea market is one month later...
And so on.
Last edited by Jonas Jonasson on Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

No BS

Post by No BS » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:17 pm

OMG Jonas!! I am so sorry but I just bust a gut laughing at your day - trying to "start" your onions in the grocery store!! Good grief .... that is not a "little situation", that is a BIG situation. :wink:

Good on you for hanging in there & coping with such remarkable grace!

It's nice to know I'm not the only one that has those kind of hilariously (in retrospect) catastrophic days to wade through! It always makes for a good story afterwards! :lol:

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:30 am

You most definitely have cause to rant after all that! :( Glad you escaped the onions unscathed - that could have been dangerous!

I hope this week goes much more smoothly for you... :wink:

mulliganagain

Post by mulliganagain » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:21 pm

Come and rant here anytime, and that way you won't be ranting to your fridge during a late night snack! :wink:

I'm sorry that last week was so trying. :( But the good news is that this week is going to be a lot better. Each yin must have a yang, and you're due for a good yang! :D
Sincerely,
Sarah H.

Jonas Jonasson

Post by Jonas Jonasson » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:07 am

Thanks to all of you!

Selv-destructive eating behaviour is just not what it used to be, I mean having a really big plate for lunch and stuffing two pieces of sugar free chewing into your mouth instead of just one somehow lacks in dramatic impact.

:arrow: Yesterday: Success

I went to the cinema and I didn't miss the popcorn because I could have Gnocchi in sage butter (or is it salvia in English?) and even some bread because there was still room on my normal sized plate. It was only a bit difficult to get the others to accept that I did not want to taste their desserts. Cool, I like being an undercover dieter.

My very big lunch was a bit of left over chicken, a pear, five slices of ciabatta with butter and a yoghurt with muesli. Not ideal but lawful, I think.
Last edited by Jonas Jonasson on Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:35 am

It's sage in English ("salie" in Dutch) - what is it in German? Whatever you call it, it sounded good!

Being able to be completely undercover is definitely one of the best things about No-S, in my opinion.

SpiritSong

Post by SpiritSong » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:51 pm

Jonas, way to go on skipping the popcorn! I love how No S teaches us not to ruin our appetites with junk. It is hard to enjoy a good dinner when you're not hungry, and the gnocchi in sage butter sounds delicious!

Jonas Jonasson

Post by Jonas Jonasson » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:05 pm

It's Salbei in German, Amy. So, do you speak Flamish?

And thank you, SpiritSong but you haven't seen me combing through the kitchen goodies cupboard 10 minutes ago willing to trade in my heroic green for a demeaning red for the price of a single piece of anything nice&sweet. So far I have been able to resist but only because there wasn't anything really worth it.

I fear that today I will only make it (as others have decribed it) whiteknuckling and swearing under my breath... if at all

SpiritSong

Post by SpiritSong » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:17 pm

Jonas Jonasson wrote:And thank you, SpiritSong but you haven't seen me combing through the kitchen goodies cupboard 10 minutes ago willing to trade in my heroic green for a demeaning red for the price of a single piece of anything nice&sweet. So far I have been able to resist but only because there wasn't anything really worth it.
Sometimes not having it in the house is the key to success. I have had many a visit to the refrigerator to the pantry to the refrigerator again to the pantry looking for "something." If there is nothing there, then I'll I've done is burn some extra calories. :)

MJ7910

Post by MJ7910 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:36 pm

i was reading one of your back entries about the cappucino. you know, maybe that wasn't as much of a failure as you though. Beverages are allowed, as long as we don't overdo it. It's all a gray line there, i think. For me, if i have a coffee, minimal creamer and maybe a small amt of artificial sweetener i count that as "ok" ... now had i loaded it up with cream, sugar, chocolate, etc then it wouldnt' be. i think it's all a fine line. if it's a "diet" cappucino, maybe ok... just depends on how you frame it, i think. what are your thoughts on this?
Current BMI: 22.9. Height: 5'4.5"
Highest BMI: 25.5 in August 2011.
Lowest adult BMI: 20.8 in February 2012.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:21 am

I hope you made it alright!
Yes on the Flemish...I moved here in 1989 so I've had many years to learn!

Jonas Jonasson

Post by Jonas Jonasson » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:07 pm

@Amy: I just managed to. Weird, it seemed to be so easy last week and this weeks it's again really difficult sometimes. But then again, doing NoS it is easier to notice when&why I feel the urge to eat although I am not hungry.

@MJ7910 - is this a flight No? :wink:
Maybe you're right about the cappuccino, I don't know about diet cappuccinos (Germany is still an underdeveloped country in some regards - or I am an underdeveloped food trends expert) but since it was at an Italian ice-cream parlour & it was a real c. without sugar... It would probably have been okay but I was not sure and I hadn't read the whole book at that time. What I had read about was the fence around the law principle and I liked it. If someone asked me here I would say the same as you: as long as we don't overdo it.

@SpiritSong: Maybe you're right but I want to have sweets in the house (guests, kids, principles - I want to learn to live with them) and usually it's okay. And nothing seemed to be good enough for me to break the law for it. I reckon that this is a good sign.

Jonas Jonasson

Post by Jonas Jonasson » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:20 pm

Breakfast (9.30am): Two bread rolls cut in halves with cheese/cream cheese/cold cuts on each of them, some small tomatoes

Lunch (4.30pm): Some pretzel sticks, some grapes, some melon, everything fit on a breakfast plate (it was so very late and I did not want to spoil my appetite for dinner)

Dinner (8.30) Ravioli filled with grilled vegetables, some grapes and melon

Breakfast was at the office, we usually have tons of sweets with it. Well, the others did.

At the moment I seem to need big plates in order to make it through the day. It's not perfect but should be okay. And it is probably somewhat silly to be irritated by this. I mean three big plates of relatively healthy food is definitely not worse than anything I would have eaten on a normal day pre-NoS

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:27 pm

If you need 3 substantial meals right now, then that is what you need. I am betting that you will not gain weight. The goal is to maintain! Your body may be telling you to slow down on the changes. If you are like me, the consequences of not listening to my body on my hungry days can easily mean a fail by the end of the day or end of the week because I end up feeling deprived.
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

MJ7910

Post by MJ7910 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:37 pm

i think do what meets your needs right now. my dinner has been rather large lately and i'm ok with that as long as i am not having hunger growling in my stomach at night. do what fits and feels right.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:23 am

My plates tend to be pretty huge right now, too.

And I don't think I could make it from 9.30 to 4.30 - kudos to you!

SpiritSong

Post by SpiritSong » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:29 pm

I don't worry too much about how much is on my plate (except I am trying to learn how much will make me satisfied but not stuffed). In fact, I am working on eating more for breakfast just to keep myself away from a morning snack.

MJ7910

Post by MJ7910 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:21 pm

through doing the calorie counting thing for years now (WOW!!) i have come to discover what approximately is 100 calories, 500, etc. I've gotten to the point where I know approximately how much I'm eating. I still methodically count in my head... so i know for instance i had about 300 for breakfast and about 630 for lunch. i just know that from years of this madness! so dinner i give myself good portions of healthy foods, ends up being about 650 probably. but the nice thing is i dont' have to actually KNOW how many calories because things like my fitness pal gives you that evil red number of how many you are over. you feel like a failure. but when i do NoS, i can still kind of know what # i am eating at, but i know just fill my plate and stop! i have been using an actual plate for dinner where at work i can't really for lunch. using the plate for dinner has helped me so much! even if i am filling it up, at least i'm not eating extra little "snacks" and having to worry about them all day like when i was calorie counting!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:20 am

Some pretzels, some grapes and some melon does not sound like a loaded plate. Even if it was, that's pretty light fare.

I'm 3 years in and I had a small fail in the afternoon. I thought of eating a light dinner, but I opted to have a full one and I felt full and great. The good news is I can often opt to eat lightly because that's truly all I'm hungry for. I used to feel rather virtuous for that, but that is a trap.

Keep up the good work!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

No BS

Post by No BS » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:56 pm

Hi Jonas:

Good to check in and see you doing so well!! Keep it up! :D

Don't worry about the size of your plates. I have big plates that I happily stuff full, mostly two times a day. I figure I need to so I don't feel "diety" or "bitchy" or "deprived". All of which has previously & hopelessly undermined my will to be busy healthy & active.

When I am not feeling deprived, and when I feel like I am in control, I find I make the best food choices for all of the best reasons!

Hope you have a super & GREEN & FUN week!! :wink:

Jonas Jonasson

Post by Jonas Jonasson » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:58 pm

Of course, all of you are right big plates don't matter - and I seem to need them at the moment.

@oolala: okay, the pretzelsticks&fruit plate was not a huge meal but do you know what: it was only small because of you because in several posts you have stressed the importance of getting hungry before a meal and since I knew that I would have dinner in less than four hours I opted for the above.
I have this "problem" on two or three days a week, I will have breakfast around 7am and my first opportunity to get lunch (and by that I mean sitting down at a table and putting the food onto a real plate etc.) at around 4pm. I do not really mind that it takes so long until I can have lunch but I do mind that there's so little time between lunch and dinner. Having a lighter dinner is not an option because we usually cook in the evenings and have sth. especially nice. However, today I started to experiment and had drive in fast food. In order to avoid virtual plating I had made a plate model out of paper earlier in the office (looked weird but served the purpose) which I had on the co-driver's seat and put two hamburgers, a small helping of chips, and an apple on it before I ate it while driving....

@No BS you're absolutely right, it's all about no feeling deprived

Super fun week? Weird things happen to me all the time, have I mentioned the toilet cleaner I got into my nostrils? Or that I went to this party on Saturday and was stuck in my coat because the zip fastener broke and the operation to free me involved two other guests, a fork, and a paper clip.

My NoS habitcal looks really good (my exercises habitcal doesn't) but I think I will earn a fail on Wednesday, I will be at my niece's birthday and I cannot not have some cake I think (in-laws: oh, you're on a diet?) but the whole thing is not S-day worthy. Maybe I should feign an allergy? :evil:

mulliganagain

Post by mulliganagain » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:43 pm

Hey, Jonas! Cheers for you with your good-looking No-S habitcal! :D If you decide to eat cake on Wednesday then that's cool, but if you'd honestly rather not rememer: you don't HAVE to give explanations for yourself. The conversation could look like this:
Them - Would you like cake?
You - No, thank you.
Them - Oh - are you on a diet?
You - No.. I simply don't want cake!

You don't have to want cake.. there's no you-must-eat-cake-to-enjoy-a-party rule! And even if you think that cake would be tasty, you can still say that you honestly don't want it if you know it wouldn't be worth it to you in the end. :) But only you know if it would be worth it or not!
Sincerely,
Sarah H.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:18 am

RE: cake. It depends on how big the party is. I can't count the number of times I've been at a big event and found whole pieces of cake on their little plates abandoned. No one knew who left them. There might have been a bite cut but still not eaten! So you could take the plate and ditch it. Skinny people do it all the time!

I've got other suggestions, if you think inswn's assertions won't fly. But let's not assume.

Boy, I WOULD have a problem with not being able to sit and eat sooner than 4 p.m. Your solution sounds very moderate and reasonable! And more power to you.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Jonas Jonasson

Post by Jonas Jonasson » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:49 am

The CAKE situation will be like that: About 6 to 8 grown-ups at the table then the cake is cut and everybody is offered a slice. Then the second cake is cut and it is assumed that you will have a piece of that one if you (the English grammar gets into the way...) did not have a slice of cake1. You're supposed to have at least one slice/piece. I don't want to sound mean but usually the cake isn't even really that good.
I think I will just try to say that I won't have any.
The thing is that I don't want them to think that I am on a diet (which I am not as you know). Providing other material to gossip about might help :lol:
If tomorrow is not my braveness day I will try to ditch it. They have a dog.

This is probably what having the courage of one's convictions is about.

It's funny how you start analysing food-related situations. Before NoS I would have happily eaten the stuff just because it was there.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:35 am

My in-laws sound very similar to yours so I totally get the problem with the cake! Have you thought of saying you have an upset stomach and just want to stick with a cup of tea?

Jonas Jonasson

Post by Jonas Jonasson » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:43 am

This was exactly my plan :lol:
But I usually favour honesty so let's see what happens

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:52 am

Well...you could then just take an S-event for that particular eating moment. It is a family birthday, after all...

No BS

Post by No BS » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:57 pm

Hi Jonas:

I must admit your dilemma is a puzzle.

How to protect the sanctity of your personal choice without "challenging" the "hospitality" of others.

This might work:

Say "tea & upset stomach" (must have been something I ate :lol:), but ask for "a wrapped piece of cake to take home to eat later, oooh it looks so yummy!!"

A white lie to ease you out of an uncomfortable situation - protecting both your relationship with your family and the integrity of your food choices!

Don't let anything or anyone shame/guilt you into eating food you do NOT want!

Good luck! :wink:
Last edited by No BS on Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MJ7910

Post by MJ7910 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:11 pm

yes you coudl take it and save if for Sday maybe? that's what I plan on doing if anyone gets pushy.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:59 pm

I don't know the group, so it's your call, but you will have to find a strategy for these situations eventually. Is now when this group starts learning that you can't be budged? Or it might be worth taking a NWS day and have a few bites, but leave the rest. Either way, it will be a good learning experience.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Jonas Jonasson

Post by Jonas Jonasson » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:14 pm

This is so great everybody trying to help me to figure this out.
Thank you all!
I will definitely remain an undercover NoS agent since there will be some traditional dieters (see the thread about telling them about NoS)

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:02 pm

Good luck - we'll all be very interested to hear how you handled it!

heatherhikes

Post by heatherhikes » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:45 pm

Ditto, Amy. I'm cheering for you, Jonas. 8) :lol:
________
H

navi

Post by navi » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:15 am

In this type of situation I would accept the cake, push it around the plate with my fork, and discretely not eat it. In general, people don't really pay attention to what you are doing. They just want you to accept the gift of cake. Of course this is more difficult to pull off at a sit down dinner. In that case, accept the cake, & when it is noticed that you are not eating it, ask for a napkin/bag to take it home for later, since it looks so delicious but you are way too full to eat it. 2 things accomplished: you are grateful for the gift of cake, but you can avoid eating it, while avoiding talking about your diet (nothing is more boring than diet talk at a celebration). You can then give it away, dispose of it, etc. No need to make bold statements. This works with alcohol as well (accept drink, walk around with it for entire evening, take a few sips).

No BS

Post by No BS » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:16 am

Jonas Jonasson wrote: Super fun week? Weird things happen to me all the time, have I mentioned the toilet cleaner I got into my nostrils? Or that I went to this party on Saturday and was stuck in my coat because the zip fastener broke and the operation to free me involved two other guests, a fork, and a paper clip.

Too hilarious! Sounds exactly like my idea of "fun"!! :lol:

Jonas Jonasson

Post by Jonas Jonasson » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:57 pm

Dear diary, I did not have any cake.

I tried to do it by putting the empty paper cups of the muffins my son had on my plate but, of course, did not get away with it. In-law next to me, whispering loudly: "Starving yourself, are you? Hehe." The whole audience looked at me, I mumbled sth. about dentistry (stomach bug would have prevented my from having my well-deserved coffee). Not perfect but I just did not feel like discussing my eating behavior there & then.

Thank you all for your very helpful and sympathetic comments.

Yesterday: Success. But I do need some big lunches at the moment. I expected my lunch plate to collapse any moment.
Last edited by Jonas Jonasson on Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:36 pm

In-laws - sometimes very UGH, aren't they?

Glad you got through it unscathed however, and ended up with a green day! :mrgreen:

Jonas Jonasson

Post by Jonas Jonasson » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:53 pm

Thanks, Amy! You're so right & so lucky that I will not repeat the conversations we (they) had

The day is not over yet - I have decided to make some soda bread and will have it warm & with butter. Can buttermilk go off, I mean it is already sth that has gone off, isn't it?

MJ7910

Post by MJ7910 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:00 pm

ugh, there is nothing worse than someone having to point out what you're not enjoying/having! especially when they do it in a condescending way.

i have the type of mother in law who asks me what i am eating and then basis her decisions off of that. she is a dieting type, always so concerned with what everyone else is doing. very aggravating! at least she gets less pushy about it when she's on a diet herself!

but yeah, i totaly understand how you'd feel in that situation. you can make it to the Sdays, i know you can! only 3 more days to go and then you can have all the cake in the world (if you even want it)... :)

mulliganagain

Post by mulliganagain » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:27 pm

Good job handling the birthday party!! :D Family and friends - a dieter's best friend and worst enemy all wrapped up into one package!

That bread sounds really good. :) I haven't had much experience with buttermilk, so I did what I did best and hit google! I found this: http://www.ehow.com/how_5825990_tell-bu ... oiled.html does this help?
Sincerely,
Sarah H.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:11 am

Jonas, keep up the good work. In laws are wonderful aren't they?
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:51 am

You are a natural!

I went to a cheapie Chinese restaurant the other night, the kind at which a server scoops you up one or two entrees plus rice or noodles. I showed him I wanted only my fist's volume of noodles. (He still tried to give me twice as much as I showed him, and that's still less than the normal serving there.) The young woman next to me said, oh, are you on a diet? I smiled and said, Oh, no, that's just enough noodle for me. (I don't eat them that often, and didn't even want leftovers. Too salty and mushy for every day fare. But fun sometimes.)
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

SpiritSong

Post by SpiritSong » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:02 pm

Great response to the noodle question! Much better than the alternative:

"Are you on a diet?" "No, I just want a normal sized serving of noodles and not enough to feed a small village!"

:D

Jonas Jonasson

Post by Jonas Jonasson » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:55 pm

@all: Thank you. I especially loved your comments about in laws, so I am not alone.

@inswsn: Thank you. It helped. I like the bit that went like: Do not use it if there's mould on it. Maybe I misunderstood the word mould but if it means what I think it does I wouldn't have in the first place :lol:

@oolala: When I'm grown up I also want to be able to just say: No thanks. Another ten years later I would probably be able to do it with a smile and not giving a stare.
I have started to read your thread from the beginning. It's very interesting and instructive - especially since I know that there's a happy ending.

It's funny how I seem to be able to do NoS this time (last time I did not have a single green day and gave up although I felt good doing it) but I am just so suspicious that I am cheating unconsciously. My plates have to look different and I am chewing a lot of sugar-free gum between my meals something which I haven't done before.
I think I will use the rest of February trying to train the habit and see if I can polish it in March.

No BS

Post by No BS » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:24 pm

Jonas Jonasson wrote:I think I will use the rest of February trying to train the habit and see if I can polish it in March.
Good way of putting it! :)

I'm not dieting, I'm training the habit! Luv it!!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:29 am

The polishing will likely take a bit longer than March... :lol:
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Jonas Jonasson

Post by Jonas Jonasson » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:10 am

Yes, that's for sure, I was just reassuring myself sort of like: This month I will not worry too much about plate sizes, in March I will start doing this. I suppose the polishing will take the rest of my life, though.

MJ7910

Post by MJ7910 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:04 pm

I feel like i'm in your same situation, Jonas. I also had a false start back in June/July 2012. I wanted to do it but I gave up quickly because I couldn't get Sdays under control and I had so many failures on the Ndays that I gave up. I'm much more ready to do this now and I realize weight maintenance will take some time. I've accepted that I dont' want to count calories my whole life and this just seems like the most logical way to go about it. Also I have a pretty large sweet tooth so staying away from sweets during the week is definitely the way to go for me. As far as polishing the habit... I know it is going to take a long time, I know Sdays might be wild and crazy for a bit and I'm prepared for that. The important thing is just knowing the option is there on the weekend. If i want to, i can do that. But I don't have to. That is the mindset I'm trying to get in my head. Also NOT to beat myself up like i did in the past. I used to obsess over calories, now I'm trying to hard to not do that. Being a habitual calorie counter has made it tougher to break that tendency to do math when I eat, but slowly working on it! I have times where I think I can go back to calorie counting again but every time i have (even if i'm successful for a few months) it ends up resulting in binging and black or white thinking. So, just know that you are not alone in this. It takes time and we will get there if we work on Ndays first!

Jonas Jonasson

Post by Jonas Jonasson » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:23 am

@MJ7910 Thank you so much for your kind words which I appreciate very much. We are in a very similar situation you are right.
knowing the option is there on the weekend. If i want to, i can do that. But I don't have to.
This is what what works for me also. I hope. Some day :lol:

I can also relate to the sweet tooth, I was on autopilot day in day out. Funnily enough No Sweets is not that hard for me at the moment. Neither is No Snacks. No Seconds is the hardest because of last-minute-panic.

The polishing for the rest of my life bit wasn't actually too pessimistic. I think I want to do this forever because although far from perfect I am trying to do my best - and this seems to be the point - and I feel much better about food&eating that I have for decades.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:00 am

I also have the biggest problem with no seconds...but like you said this is something we can work on over the rest of our eating life, and make continuous small improvements - polishing! (I like the visual image I get from that word - makes me think of someone who is lovingly restoring a beautiful car) So...we don't have to fix everything at once, we can work on it, lovingly, bit by bit.

And I agree with MJ when she says the one of the biggest things to get over is not beating ourselves up anymore - how can we lovingly work on polishing our eating behaviors if we are angry at ourselves all the time?

Hope you have a great weekend, too!

No BS

Post by No BS » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:43 pm

Jonas Jonasson wrote: I think I want to do this forever because although far from perfect I am trying to do my best - and this seems to be the point - and I feel much better about food&eating that I have for decades.
I am so totally with you on this, Jonas! I feel that No "S" has given me my life back and that all the lack-of-control issues I have had with food have been chucked out the window. There is no-way no-how that I am ever giving up that new found security around food. The peace of mind for me is absolutely incredible. :D

To address food insecurity about no seconds, Jonas, what I have been doing is eating BIG plates full - so there is no way I could even look at seconds. And I have found that now I am not finishing my plates. So that is like really really incredible for me - leaving food uneaten with no seconds in sight. :lol:

Continued success to you, Jonas. You are doing SO well! :D

Jonas Jonasson

Post by Jonas Jonasson » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:16 am

Breakfast 7am
Lunch 3pm
Dinner 8.30pm

I don't like my schedule on these days. Maybe I should brown bag my lunch. Funny: I am never really hungry at lunch time, just very, very grateful after the first bite.

My S-days were a little bit less than okay but I am learning. On Saturday I had a slice of cheesecake at a cafe and I finished it although it was not that good (I am very choosy when it comes to cake).

I like the feeling on Friday afternoons/nights, pleasant anticipation.

I buy a lot of flowers these days (tulips, daffodils, hyacinths...), very beautiful redirection activity for not buying sweets.
Last edited by Jonas Jonasson on Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MJ7910

Post by MJ7910 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:12 pm

yes the feeling on friday is so different. i woke up saturday morning at 6am and went and had a truffle first thing! now i know i wouldn't have done that normally, just the anticipation of the Sday... so maybe over time i will not be that antsy. i like the flower idea! at least something visually pleasing is good!

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:13 pm

I have to say I love the idea of buying flowers in anticipation of the weekend! :D