No BS Here!

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

No BS

Post by No BS » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:24 pm

Bless your little heart, Sinnie. Life is too short to waste on crap so I am really glad this thread gave you pause!! :lol:

My weekends are pretty low key, Sinnie. If I want a "sweet", I must bake it myself or do without (no restaurants or bakeries here). So if I make sure I am too busy or too tired to bake, I don't usually bother with the sweets. If I ever bake a cake/cookies I usually just keep a bit & give the rest away to a friend with kids. Otherwise I would just eat only it until it was all gone!

I have been known to poke down a Snickers bar on an occasional weekend - and enjoy every bite! But I suspect my biggest indulgence (other than good food) is an occasional drink (any time, not just weekends): wine or a beer, or a gin or scotch. :wink:
If you are not living life on the edge you are taking up too much room!!

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:35 pm

That's awesome No BS. What brings you to where you live? Are you there permanently? I bet that was quite a lifestyle shift! I'm sure it's just beautiful though :)

No BS

Post by No BS » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:19 am

Well, Sinnie, I've spent the better part of the last two decades working in remote parts of northern Canada but this is the furthest north I can go (& still be in Canada!!). :)

It is an astonishingly beautiful landscape above the treeline, like a Zen garden for giants. The musk ox, polar bears, walruses, seals, and whales are like mystical magical beasts when you see them. Walking to work one morning last fall (my commute is @ 2 minute walk) I stopped on the beach to watch small pods of narwhal swimming past. I could hear them blow and see the spume hit the air from their blowholes. I could see their tusks pointing to the sky & watch them "dueling" when two started playing. I was simply awestruck & speechless. :shock:

The culture is different and very very interesting. The people here teach me lots - not only about their culture & their land but about myself.

The peace & the tranquility is other worldly. It is a wonderful place to heal your soul. And gives me the freedom & the peace I need for self-examination & quiet introspection.

It is also incredibly challenging to keep my mental, physical, spiritual, and emotional balance when so far removed from my "norms", familial & cultural . I have learned (the hard way!!) what is truly important in my life.

I am very grateful to have lived in parts of northern Canada that very few even get a chance to see. I hope these memories will be my geriatric "treasure chest" when it comes my turn to be warehoused in the care home in diapers. :lol:

No BS

Mar 22 Day 79

Post by No BS » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:08 am

MAR 22 DAY 79 – SUCCESS

Breakfast: none
Lunch: beans, cucumber, red bell pepper, cream cheese
Dinner: single malt scotch, pork back ribs

Stella : SUCCESS
Outdoors : -21C, hike with the dogs, stairs x 1
Indoors : elliptical (7:30 am), shugging (6:00 pm)

Sweetness
Location: Fall and winters in Cuernavaca, Morelos Mexico and summers in St Paul, Minnesota

Post by Sweetness » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:41 pm

I love your description,too. Enjoy your weekend! 8)
Patty

Anxiety in a person's heart weighs him down, but an encouraging word brings him joy. (Proverbs 12:25 NET)
I'm a glutton for encouragement.

No BS

Post by No BS » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:27 pm

MAR 23 DAY 80 – SUCCESS

Breakfast: smoked arctic char, cream cheese, apple
Lunch: snickers :oops:, almonds, dried cranberries
Dinner: beer, smoked arctic char, cream cheese

Outdoors : -20C, hike with the dogs

gk

Post by gk » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:44 pm

I enjoy reading your posts. You're dedication to your new habits is astounding and inspiring.

Keep up the great work! :)
SW (as of 3/25/13): 172 lbs.
CW: 171 lbs.

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:19 pm

I too am a big No BS fan :D ..... Not only do I admire the dedication to a better, healthier lifestyle but I love being transported to such an amazing far away land.
Berry

Over43

Post by Over43 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:23 pm

How does one end up in the Canadian Arctic? 8)
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:34 am

I don't know what kind of work you do, but it must be pretty cool! Your description sounds unreal - I can't believe anyone can live near polar bears and actually see them :D So neat.

Great job on the eating, I admire your discipline.

emmay

Post by emmay » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:01 am

What an amazing and inspiring check in thread! Thank you No BS.

SpiritSong

Post by SpiritSong » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:26 pm

Uh, oh. I hope that Snickers wasn't my fault! :oops: I'll be more careful in the future, I promise!! :D

No BS

Post by No BS » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:40 pm

Patty, gk, Strawberry Roan, Sinnie, emmay, thanks so much for your very kind words! It was a treat logging on today & reading them. :oops:

I must admit I really enjoy reading everyones' threads, as well, and keeping up with your news & doings. I am so grateful for the community we have here, it is inspiring, motivating, educational, humourous and wonderfully kind and respectful of each other. We are very fortunate in having this level of “community therapy†as close as our computers! :D

No BS

Post by No BS » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:42 pm

Over43 wrote:How does one end up in the Canadian Arctic? 8)
Just lucky I guess. :lol:

No BS

Post by No BS » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:45 pm

SpiritSong wrote:Uh, oh. I hope that Snickers wasn't my fault! :oops: I'll be more careful in the future, I promise!! :D

I tell ya, that Snickers was written in the stars!! :lol: Everywhere I turned this past week, I tripped over "Snickers" references: comments, commercials, or people actually chomping on one.

I lasted 'til Saturday and then had to join them! No regrets - it was a tasty little bugger!! :D

No BS

Post by No BS » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:56 pm

Today is Monday, my weigh-in day and I have to report I never lost a pound. Never gained one either. :lol:

There was a time when I would have been discouraged with those results but nothing can detract from how good I feel being 82 days "on habit".

I have the rest of my life to continue eating myself well and practicing good health and physical fitness. That's good enough for me. :wink:

No BS

Post by No BS » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:00 am

MAR 24 DAY 81 – SUCCESS

Breakfast: rye & flax porridge w/dried cranberries, coconut, cinnamon, milk, maple syrup
Lunch: scallops w/lime juice
Dinner: banana, grapefruit

Outdoors : -18C, hike with the dogs

MAR 25 DAY 82 – SUCCESS

Lunch: apple, banana, grapefruit
Dinner: arctic char w/mustard&dill béchamel sauce, couscous

Outdoors : -15C, hike with the dogs
Indoors : elliptical (7:30 am), shugging (6:30 pm)

Jonas Jonasson

Post by Jonas Jonasson » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:33 am

Today is Monday, my weigh-in day and I have to report I never lost a pound. Never gained one either.
How could you have lost weight with all the pounds of muscles you have developed recently?
Disclaimer (still applicable):
If a person is fairly new to English their English words and expressions are influenced by their mother tongue, so things that might sound impolite to you are not always meant in that way.

No BS

Post by No BS » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:04 am

Jonas, what a hilariously intriguing possibility!! Thanks for suggesting it. :lol:

No BS

Post by No BS » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:05 am

MAR 26 DAY 83 – SUCCESS

Breakfast: eggs, couscous w/salsa
Lunch: strawberries w/maple syrup
Dinner: couscous w/cranberry salsa, strawberries w/maple syrup

Outdoors : -15C, hike with the dogs, stairs x 1
Indoors : elliptical (7:30 am), shugging (5:30 pm)

No BS

Post by No BS » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:06 am

“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.†– Churchill

Sweetness
Location: Fall and winters in Cuernavaca, Morelos Mexico and summers in St Paul, Minnesota

Post by Sweetness » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:20 am

Jonas Jonasson wrote:
Today is Monday, my weigh-in day and I have to report I never lost a pound. Never gained one either.
How could you have lost weight with all the pounds of muscles you have developed recently?

Jonas is right, muscle is denser than fat, so you probably have lost fat and inches, gained muscle,and are trimmer, but the same weight. The first few months of No S, habit is the most important thing, and you are doing fantastic on habit! :lol:
Patty

Anxiety in a person's heart weighs him down, but an encouraging word brings him joy. (Proverbs 12:25 NET)

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:19 am

No BS wrote:
SpiritSong wrote:Uh, oh. I hope that Snickers wasn't my fault! :oops: I'll be more careful in the future, I promise!! :D

I tell ya, that Snickers was written in the stars!! :lol: Everywhere I turned this past week, I tripped over "Snickers" references: comments, commercials, or people actually chomping on one.

I lasted 'til Saturday and then had to join them! No regrets - it was a tasty little bugger!! :D

I must admit, your post made me "' snicker "". Ooops, I hope the mere mention of the word doesn't triggers a repeat offense :roll: :roll: :roll:

Oh wait, yes I do. :D Sounds yummy. Glad you enjoyed every bite.
Berry

KL

Post by KL » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:18 pm

Hi No BS,

I have been reading your posts and feel like I've been transported to another land. I had to look up Ellesmere Island to see for myself what its all about and noticed that the population is less than 200 (that was in 2006). So, you truly are one of the few!

I'm also 5'6" and in my 50's (51) - yay for us!

Anyway, you're doing fantastic - keep up the awesome trend :D

I'm back to No S after a few month hiatus, and it feels SO good to be working on developing strong habits again.
"Everything is permissible for me - but not everything is beneficial...I will not be mastered by anything." 1 Cor 6:12

No BS

Post by No BS » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:58 pm

Berry, salads & snickers, my fatal weaknesses!! :lol:

No BS

Post by No BS » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:15 pm

Hi KL, welcome back to No "S". In all my years I have never met a better system for steadily developing incredibly positive habits in any endeavour.

Thanks for reading & stopping by this thread; &, more importantly, for taking the trouble of looking us up on Ellesmere Island. We are now @ 140 souls in our tiny village. The newest baby arrived @ Feb 14!! :lol:

I always enjoy meeting anyone 5 foot fifty and fabulous!!! :lol: I look forward to checking out your thread! :D

No BS

Post by No BS » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:51 am

MAR 27 DAY 84 – SUCCESS

Breakfast: polenta, salsa
Lunch: grapefruit, almonds, dried cranberries
Dinner: arctic char w/mustard & dill béchamel sauce; green/red/yellow/orange pepper & tomato w/onion & mushroom, EVOO, balsamic vinegar, garlic, spices stir fry; strawberries & maple syrup

Outdoors : -13C, hike with the dogs, stairs x 2
Indoors : elliptical (7:30 am), shugging (6:15 pm)

gk

Post by gk » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:14 am

I look outside.....the snow has melted, the grass is brown, and the trees are bare. Whenever I feel like seeing a little GREEN, I just pull up your thread because GREEN is EVERYWHERE. (I didn't actually try to rhyme - just happened - must be feeling a little giddy from my 3). :wink:

Just love your upbeat approach and never-ending encouragement. You are doing WONDERFULLY. Keep up the great work. And enjoy those wonderful new habits! :D

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:40 am

Just catching up here and you've been doing great! I'm with Jonas on the muscles - it's got to be all that exercise you've been doing! Do you notice any difference in the way your clothes fit?

SpiritSong

Post by SpiritSong » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:33 pm

140 people? Wow, do you know them all (as in could state their names and at least one personal fact about them)?

No BS

Post by No BS » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:49 pm

Yes, of course SpiritSong. :lol:

No BS

MAR 28 DAY 85

Post by No BS » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:28 am

MAR 28 DAY 85 – SUCCESS

Lunch: eggs, potatoes
Dinner: gin & soda w/lime, turbot, leftover veggie stir fry w/black olives, channa dal

Outdoors : -19C, hike with the dogs, stairs x 2
Indoors : elliptical (7:30 am), shugging (7:15 pm)

No BS

MARCH 28, 2013

Post by No BS » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:40 am

I just finished a tough "year end" month & am so looking forward to a long weekend. I booked off Tuesday as well so I made the weekend even longer. :lol:

Today is my birthday. When I woke up (after 7.5 hours of gorgeous sleep) I leaped out of bed and sung "Happy Birthday" (off key) to myself at the top of my lungs. Certainly got the dogs attention! :lol:

I set some black beans (Turtle beans) soaking tonight and tomorrow I will make myself a black bean birthday cake. Then my cake can sit quietly overnight, developing & melding flavours, and I will have a piece of black bean birthday cake smothered with cranberry coulee for brunch on Saturday morning! :D

Hope everyone has a great Easter weekend. If I was down south I would have a house full of daffodils and at least one or two Regale lilies.

I completed my fourth 21-day cycle of No"S" yesterday. No "S" is the very best birthday present I could have given myself. :wink:

KL

Post by KL » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:50 am

Oh a BIG Happy GREEN Birthday to you!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Yes, No S is the absolute best present you could give yourself! Your cake sounds delish :!:
"Everything is permissible for me - but not everything is beneficial...I will not be mastered by anything." 1 Cor 6:12

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:46 am

Happy Birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday No BS, happy birthday to you! Enjoy your long weekend! :D :) :lol: 8) :wink: :P :arrow: :mrgreen: :D :)
Patty

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:56 am

Happy Birthday, NoBS!!! :D :D :D
Hope you had a wonderful day and that you'll enjoy your special birthday cake to the fullest!
I'm also glad you gave yourself the present of NoS this year, as your positive presence on the boards is a gift to all the rest of us here. :mrgreen:

milliem

Post by milliem » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:36 am

Happy birthday!! Hope you have (or had, never sure what time zone people are in!!) a great one :D

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:31 pm

NO WAY !!! Happy Happy Birthday, my friend.

May your year be filled with dreams that all come true :wink:
Berry

gk

Post by gk » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:18 pm

Happy Birthday!!!! I hope you have a wonderful weekend! :D :D :D :D

SpiritSong

Post by SpiritSong » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:42 pm

In the wise words of Sandra Boynton:

Hippo birdie two ewe!
Hippo birdie two ewe!
Hippo birdie dear ewe!
Hippo birdie two ewe!

(Of course, this is much cuter with the Boynton drawings, but what can I do? How about a link? http://www.zazzle.com/hippo_birdie_card ... 1503498832)

:D

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:09 pm

Happy Birthday, my friend!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

Jonas Jonasson

Post by Jonas Jonasson » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:28 pm

Alles Gute zum Geburtstag, winter woman.

Stay as you are. Well, you are allowed to decrease a little bit. I just wonder what happens if your greatness is distributed on less mass, will you be even cooler because more concentrated...?
If a person is fairly new to English their English words and expressions are influenced by their mother tongue, so things that might sound impolite to you are not always meant in that way.

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:53 pm

SpiritSong wrote:In the wise words of Sandra Boynton:

Hippo birdie two ewe!
Hippo birdie two ewe!
Hippo birdie dear ewe!
Hippo birdie two ewe!

(Of course, this is much cuter with the Boynton drawings, but what can I do? How about a link? http://www.zazzle.com/hippo_birdie_card ... 1503498832)

:D
Ha, Ha, I almost wrote the same to No BS, but didn't have the card link. I had that card once and gave it away. I love that card, thanks for the link! Will buy some and use them.
Patty

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:14 pm

Happy birthday & Easter weekend, too! :D

No BS

Post by No BS » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:52 am

OMG! What an amazing chorus of Happy Birthdays! :D I heard them all the way up here, north of 76 degrees!! What a hoot!!

Thank you so very much, everyone. :D

No BS

Post by No BS » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:59 am

Jonas Jonasson wrote:Alles Gute zum Geburtstag, winter woman.
Stay in the high Arctic long enough & you'll get cool! 8)

Danke, mein Freund. :wink:

No BS

Post by No BS » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:24 am

SpiritSong and Patty:

I absolutely cracked up at the "hippo birdie two ewe". Loved the link & the drawing. Never heard of Boynton before, or those hilarious lyrics. (I gotta get out more often!! :wink:)

Thanks, eh! :lol:

No BS

Post by No BS » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:31 am

KL, Amy, milliem, Berry, gk, Sinnie, sophiasapientia, thanks so much for your wonderful wishes & kind words! I had a super birthday and a smile on my face, still .... :D

No BS

Post by No BS » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:33 am

MAR 29 DAY 86 – SUCCESS

Breakfast: oatmeal, almonds, dried cranberry, milk, cinnamon, butter, maple syrup
Lunch: couscous w/leftover veggies & black olives
Dinner: bannock, strawberries & maple syrup

Outdoors : -25C, hike with the dogs
Indoors : elliptical (8:30 am), shugging (8:15 pm)

No BS

Post by No BS » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:44 am

Amy3010 wrote:Do you notice any difference in the way your clothes fit?
Amy, I sure do. My pants are baggy on me, around the waist & loose in the butt. I can squeeze into an old pair of blue jeans (squeeeeeze being the key word here) now but I'll have to shed at least another 10-15 pounds before I would consider leaving the house in them. I kind of love the baggy pants I am still wearing - they really are comfortable & roomy - something entirely strange to me!! :wink:

I have a kazillion pounds to lose, don't misunderstand. But I can definitely feel my muscles reshaping my body underneath all the layers of fat I'm packing around. It is a most interesting & incredibly peculiar feeling. I bounce instead of walk, I have vast amounts of energy, and I carry my body entirely different - even with the excess weight. Who knew muscles could make such a difference. :roll:

No BS

Post by No BS » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:51 am

gk wrote:Whenever I feel like seeing a little GREEN, I just pull up your thread because GREEN is EVERYWHERE.
Well gk, it is -25C these days with months more left of cold, snow and ice. This BB is the only place I'll be seeing green, too, for quite some time! :lol:

jld141

Post by jld141 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:01 am

You are an inspiration! So many greens!

No BS

Post by No BS » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:31 am

jld141 wrote:So many greens!
So many greens & not a darn salad in sight! Bummer!! :D Have to head over to Berry's to find a decent salad!!

Don't you find at this time of year, with the days getting longer & lots of bright sunshine, that your body really craves greens & salads & veggies & fresh produce?

When I lived down south I absolutely loved when the tiny new shoots of rhubarb would come poking out of my winter-dead rhubarb patch in the spring. I miss that sometimes.

gk

Post by gk » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:36 am

You know, I just have to pop in and say that I thoroughly enjoy your posts on the No S Boards, whether it be on your own thread, mine or others. Your constant cheery, positive attitude brightens up my day every time I read one of your posts. Thanks for sharing your No S journey and for your optimism, and for always bringing a smile to my face. :)

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:00 am

Wow, nice! :lol:
Patty

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:13 am

I know what you mean about feeling your body is changing even though the scale hasn't really budged - isn't it great? :D
And yes, I am also craving lots more fruits/greens/veggies now that we are getting more sunshine and things are starting to green up. Yay spring! :mrgreen:

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:22 pm

No BS wrote:
Amy3010 wrote:Do you notice any difference in the way your clothes fit?
Amy, I sure do. My pants are baggy on me, around the waist & loose in the butt. I can squeeze into an old pair of blue jeans (squeeeeeze being the key word here) now but I'll have to shed at least another 10-15 pounds before I would consider leaving the house in them. I kind of love the baggy pants I am still wearing - they really are comfortable & roomy - something entirely strange to me!! :wink:

I have a kazillion pounds to lose, don't misunderstand. But I can definitely feel my muscles reshaping my body underneath all the layers of fat I'm packing around. It is a most interesting & incredibly peculiar feeling. I bounce instead of walk, I have vast amounts of energy, and I carry my body entirely different - even with the excess weight. Who knew muscles could make such a difference. :roll:
My other commen got out of sequence because I was looking at this page.... so I'll say it again. Wow, nice!!

Also I want to make sure you see some green here on your thread. I've been complainig about the heat, but I remember what it feels like to have months when it doesn't get above freezing, but never as many as you! Wish I could buy a big bouquet of roses to send to you, but they would surely freeze before they arrived! I'll just have to settle for a bouquet of mr green smileys! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Patty

No BS

Post by No BS » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:53 pm

gk, you are more than welcome. :D The friends we meet & make on this BB not only make the journey easier, but also a lot of fun! :wink:

No BS

Post by No BS » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:57 pm

Amy, when I think of Spain and spring I think of leisurely noshing on shellfish and tapas on a sunlit outdoor patio washed down with a few litres of Sangria. :lol:

No BS

Post by No BS » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:59 pm

Patty, a bouquet of :mrgreen: is a pretty awesome sight!! :D Thanks, eh.

No BS

Post by No BS » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:00 pm

MAR 30 DAY 87 – SUCCESS

Lunch: smoked arctic char w/capers, fried mushrooms & onion & potato, strawberries & maple syrup
Dinner: poppy seed cake & strawberries

Outdoors : -24C, hike with the dogs

No BS

Post by No BS » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:07 pm

BLACK BEAN BROWNIE FUDGE CAKE

INGREDIENTS:
• Coconut oil
• 1oz butter
• 1 1/2 cups soft-cooked black beans, rinsed and drained
• 3 eggs
• 2 tbsp coconut oil or butter
• 1/4 heaped cup unsweetened cacao or cocoa powder
• 1 tsp baking powder
• 1 vanilla bean (or 1 tsp pure vanilla extract)
• 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
• 1/2 cup raw organic honey
• 1/4 to 1/2 cup unsalted walnuts, chopped
INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Oil 8 individual ramekins or 1 8-inch square baking dish with coconut oil.
2. Combine melted butter, beans, eggs, oil, cocoa powder, baking powder, vanilla, applesauce and honey in a food processor; process until smooth. Stir in walnuts and pour mixture into prepared ramekins or baking dish.
3. Bake in preheated oven until the tops are dry and the edges start to pull away from the sides, about 20 minutes for ramekins and 30 minutes for baking dish. Garnish each piece with a dollop of nonfat Greek yogurt or fruit compote, if desired.

Modified from original recipe at Clean Eating:
http://cleaneatingmag.com/Recipes/Recip ... Cakes.aspx

Seriously awesome "brownie"!! :lol:

Next time, and there will be a next time, I will add 1 t cinnamon.
Last edited by No BS on Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:28 pm

Thanks for the recipe, I'll plan on trying it when I get back to where it's cool enough to want to put on the oven! I'm sure it's yummy!
Patty

MJ7910

Post by MJ7910 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:55 am

Belated Happy birthday. And that is great that you notice your pants getting looser.
Current BMI: 22.9. Height: 5'4.5"
Highest BMI: 25.5 in August 2011.
Lowest adult BMI: 20.8 in February 2012.

No BS

Post by No BS » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:58 pm

Patty, I promise you won't be disappointed if you make it! :D

No BS

Post by No BS » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:03 am

Thanks, MJ! Baggy & loose trousers are such a novelty!! :D

No BS

Mar 31 Day 88

Post by No BS » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:04 am

MAR 31 DAY 88 – SUCCESS

Breakfast: black bean brownie chocolate fudge cake w/cranberry compote
Lunch: smoked arctic char, apple, black bean brownie chocolate fudge cake w/cranberry compote
Dinner: gin & soda & lime juice, black bean brownie chocolate fudge cake

Outdoors : -24C, hike with the dogs

No BS

APR 1 DAY 89

Post by No BS » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:09 am

APR 1 DAY 89 – SUCCESS

Lunch: polenta & salsa
Dinner: grapefruit, apple, almonds

Outdoors : -26C, hike with the dogs
Indoors : elliptical (10:30 am), shugging (7:15 pm)

No BS

Post by No BS » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:19 am

Monday is my weekly weigh-in day. I gained 3 pounds!

I suspect it has absolutely nothing to do with me eating my entire Black Bean Brownie Fudge birthday cake yesterday! :lol: Over the course of three meals & all on the requisite three plates!! :wink:

I cannot be discouraged, or feel bad, because quite simply I haven't felt this good in years, physically & mentally!! The eating habits & workout habits make my life easy. And my pants are baggy & loose on me!! :D

I am on Day 89 of my No"S" food habits, Day 36 of my Physical Challenge, and week three of my C25K Challenge. Life is good! :D

MJ7910

Post by MJ7910 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:59 am

I am sorry to hear of the weight gain. I know I have certainly gained weight since I started nos because I was in a bad case of diet head before, and was certainly not eating enough. But I keep in my head the knowledge that mentally I am so much better. The pounds don't bother me quite as much knowing I don't binge as often or feel guilty about eating.

SpiritSong

Post by SpiritSong » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:45 pm

Sorry about the scale, but you sure enjoyed that cake! :lol: And loose pants are more imporant anyway.

KL

Post by KL » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:21 pm

Congratulations on not buying into the number on the scale :!: So easy to say, so hard to do - take my advise I'm not using it :lol:

The biggest thing I'm learning this time around with No S, (albeit very slowly mind you) is that food can be pleasurable and celebratory - the most important thing is the mindset and behavior around food which you have demonstrated day in and day out is spot on. :D

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:57 pm

Sorry about that number, but remember muscle weighs more in the same space, so you probably have gained muscle, and lost fat. I always weigh on Thursday or Friday... If I ever step on the scale on Monday, the number is a bit scary!! :roll: :wink:
Patty

No BS

Post by No BS » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:50 am

MJ, SpiritSong, KL, Patty, thanks so much for your cheery words. :D

I am happy & content to keep on this No"S" path, whatever it brings. I feel at peace with myself & my body, I am at peace with food and what I eat, I relish the 3-plate framework and the reassuring monotony of my workout routines.

I expect the excess weight I am carrying will come off much like it went on - in dribs and drabs, slowly, over the course of time..... :wink:

In the meantime, I am focusing on having fun, eating well, eating healthy and getting fit! :D

No BS

APR 2 DAY 90

Post by No BS » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:52 am

APR 2 DAY 90 – SUCCESS

Breakfast: homemade whole wheat bun w/butter, blueberry juice
Lunch: seal meat soup, wholewheat bun, apple
Dinner: soup: black beans, corn, tomatoes, onions, celery, garlic, chili peppers, cinnamon, molasses; whole wheat bun; pineapple chunks

Outdoors : -20C, hike with the dogs
Indoors : elliptical (11:00 am), shugging (7:00 pm)

Three months on habit with No "S". Hurray!! :D

KL

Post by KL » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:56 am

No BS wrote:In the meantime, I am focusing on having fun, eating well, eating healthy and getting fit! :D
Yahoo :!: 90 Days - Wow :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

MJ7910

Post by MJ7910 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:12 am

No BS wrote:MJ, SpiritSong, KL, Patty, thanks so much for your cheery words. :D

I am happy & content to keep on this No"S" path, whatever it brings. I feel at peace with myself & my body, I am at peace with food and what I eat, I relish the 3-plate framework and the reassuring monotony of my workout routines.

I expect the excess weight I am carrying will come off much like it went on - in dribs and drabs, slowly, over the course of time..... :wink:

In the meantime, I am focusing on having fun, eating well, eating healthy and getting fit! :D
yes i agree about the weight coming off. it will take time and that's why i'm waiting to weigh myself until at least june. i am changing my mind so much doing this and i don't want to go back to the old way of thinking where i tracked calories and "macros" and worried about my weight and measured myself with a tape measurer all the time. it was maddening! i lvoe this eating 3 healthy meals a day, not weighing myself, exercising because i love it without worry about what it "burns" and getting my life back!

gk

Post by gk » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:10 am

No BS wrote:I am happy & content to keep on this No"S" path, whatever it brings. I feel at peace with myself & my body, I am at peace with food and what I eat, I relish the 3-plate framework and the reassuring monotony of my workout routines.

WONDERFUL attitude! Your frame of mind right now shows that you have won the battle with "diet-head" and now you are just following the path to the definite successful results it will bring.

Keep up the great work! :)

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:27 am

No BS congrats on the 90 days, boy that went fast! :mrgreen:
Patty

Jonas Jonasson

Post by Jonas Jonasson » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:25 am

Your fan base is really impressive :D

sleepygirlzzzz
Location: Originally from Chicago; living in the UK for past 11yrs

Post by sleepygirlzzzz » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:01 pm

I just wanted to join in and say congrats on passing the 90 day mark!

Your posts are always so inspiring and uplifting and your outlook always so positive. You may not realise it but you are a huge asset to these threads. Thank you!

SpiritSong

Post by SpiritSong » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:47 pm

Seal meat soup? If people didn't know you were in the Artic before, they sure know now! :D

No BS

Post by No BS » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:13 pm

Thanks you guys! :D It really is a hoot passing the 90 day mark! I feel like the little (or not-so-little, ha!) engine that could!!!

One thing that I adore about No"S" is the focus just on the moment/day/plate, whatever you are in. And making your mark for that time. And while I was busy & committed to doing that, without even thinking 90 days passed. Just like that *snap*. :shock:

When I started this back in January I was discouraged, unmotivated, fat, no muscles, overwhelmed, and despairing that I would ever get it right and get back to some semblance of normality and health. And all I did was read a website & testimonials from hundreds of people who swore by this system. :roll:

And I believed if it was good enough & could work for all of "those people", it could be good enough & work for me as well. :wink:

Now I find I am one of "those people"!! :lol: What a hoot!

And what a joy to be part of this BB and this fabulous group of people who inspire and motivate and help each other & ourselves find our way. It is very powerful stuff and I am very grateful to be here. :oops:

No BS

Post by No BS » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:25 pm

SpiritSong, seal meat soup is rich & tasty, from the broth to the meat. If you eat seal meat it keeps you seriously warm for the whole day. It is loaded with nutrition - no additives, growth hormones, or antibiotics!! I treat seal meat like a "superfood" knowing that the meat is packed full of good stuff for my much-abused, middle aged body. :wink:

No BS

APR 3 DAY 91

Post by No BS » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:28 pm

APR 3 DAY 91 – SUCCESS

Lunch: black bean soup
Dinner: turbot, mashed potatoes & butter, niblets corn

Outdoors : -29C, hike with the dogs
Indoors : elliptical (7:30 am), shugging (6:00 pm)

KL

Post by KL » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:01 am

No BS wrote:Now I find I am one of "those people"!! :lol: What a hoot!
Yes, you are :D One plate at a time you have developed new habits and behaviors :mrgreen: :mrgreen: How awesome is that :D

SpiritSong

Post by SpiritSong » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:10 pm

Congrats on being on of "those" people! :D

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:35 pm

No BS wrote: :D It really is a hoot passing the 90 day mark!
When I started this back in January I was discouraged, unmotivated, fat, no muscles, overwhelmed, and despairing that I would ever get it right and get back to some semblance of normality and health.
Look how far you've come! 8)
Patty

No BS

Post by No BS » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:02 am

:D :D :D :wink:

childoftheking

Post by childoftheking » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:21 am

I love watching your success! I'm only on day 32 but I plan on following in your footsteps! :D

No BS

Post by No BS » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:37 am

cotk, I sure wish you continued successes on No"S"! If you remember to have fun with it I expect the days will speed by for you too! :D

No BS

Post by No BS » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:39 am

APR 4 DAY 92 – SUCCESS

Breakfast: apple
Lunch: black bean soup, bun
Dinner: gin & soda & lime; eggs, mashed potatoes, butter, niblets corn, red grapes

Outdoors : -17C, hike with the dogs, stairs x 1
Indoors : elliptical (7:30 am), shugging (8:00 pm)

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:43 am

You are doing so great. Isn't it a good feeling at the end of the day to know that you have treated your body well - and enjoyed it?

Very proud of your progress. :wink:
Berry

Jonas Jonasson

Post by Jonas Jonasson » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:41 am

I expect the excess weight I am carrying will come off much like it went on - in dribs and drabs, slowly, over the course of time.....

Exactly, we are still human beings - even if we accomplish super-human tasks like doing No S - and a consistent calculable weight-loss would probably not be natural.

And I would bet all my land in the south of France that most of the gain is muscle.

No BS

Post by No BS » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:18 pm

Strawberry Roan wrote:Isn't it a good feeling at the end of the day to know that you have treated your body well - and enjoyed it?
Oh Berry, you absolutely nailed it with that comment! :D

To me that is the biggest motivator to stay on track - feeling so damn good about myself (finally - permanently silencing that negative chorus of critics in my head) mentally, physically & emotionally. Going to bed physically tired & mentally happy that I ate well & treated all of me with care & respect by choosing healthy & nutritious foods to eat and exercising faithfully.

When I hit that groove everything else just fell by the wayside. I have taken (and will continue to take) great care to ensure that absolutely nothing interferes with maintaining that elusive & seductive feeling of personal well being & comfort. :wink: Powerful, honest, hopeful, healing habits.

No BS

Post by No BS » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:25 pm

Jonas Jonasson wrote: And I would bet all my land in the south of France that most of the gain is muscle.
The south of France is absolutely lovely! I have never been lucky enough to visit (yet) but have seen many gorgeous photos....movies...... :D

Jonas, I love going around telling people I must be getting fit because I'm gaining weight. Their jaws drop and they ask me, "Don't you mean "getting fat"?" And I say, "No", smile serenely, and carry on!! :D

Revenge for chubby women everywhere!! :lol:

No BS

APR 5 DAY 93

Post by No BS » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:27 pm

APR 5 DAY 93 – SUCCESS

Breakfast: apple
Lunch: black bean soup, bun, red grapes
Dinner: red wine, black beans & stir fried veggies: yellow/orange peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes, golden raisins, celery, garlic, spices; strawberries w/maple syrup, medjool dates

Outdoors : -13C, hike with the dogs, stairs X 1
Indoors : elliptical (7:30 am), shugging (7:30 pm)

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:55 pm

No BS, thanks for stopping by my thread again, you always have an encouraging word for me and for others. I think you have the gift of encouragement! I'm so glad you have joined our team, and I vote you best cheerleader!! :lol:
Patty

KL

Post by KL » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:52 pm

No BS wrote:I have taken (and will continue to take) great care to ensure that absolutely nothing interferes with maintaining that elusive & seductive feeling of personal well being & comfort. :wink: Powerful, honest, hopeful, healing habits.
So wonderfully and eliquently spoken. :D

Looks like your temps are rising - only -13C :!: Must seem balmy to you :wink:

No BS

Post by No BS » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:19 pm

KL wrote: Looks like your temps are rising - only -13C :!: Must seem balmy to you :wink:
It really is beautifully warm out today, for us. :lol:

If this weather keeps up I'll have to do some serious "spring cleaning": break out a razor & shave my legs so I can wear my "short pants" (aka capris) and flash my polar-bear-white gams at everyone! :D

Sorry for TMI, guys, but we have a running joke in Canada's cold climate about growing our own leg warmers in winter!! Totally screws us up when we take off to the Caribbean in January, though! :lol: