No BS Here!

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

No BS

Post by No BS » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:23 pm

Thanks Patty for your kind words. It's amazing how the encouraging words & kindnesses of others always seem to motivate us to do our best!

I know it sure helps me stay focused and on track. :wink:

When others share their belief in you, failing to believe in yourself is not an option. :shock:
If you are not living life on the edge you are taking up too much room!!

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:23 am

Looks like you had another great, green week! Good for you!

gk

Post by gk » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:32 pm

No BS wrote:If this weather keeps up I'll have to do some serious "spring cleaning": break out a razor & shave my legs so I can wear my "short pants" (aka capris) and flash my polar-bear-white gams at everyone! :D

Sorry for TMI, guys, but we have a running joke in Canada's cold climate about growing our own leg warmers in winter!! Totally screws us up when we take off to the Caribbean in January, though! :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
SW (as of 3/25/13): 172 lbs.
CW: 171 lbs.

gk

Post by gk » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:33 pm

No BS wrote:When others share their belief in you, failing to believe in yourself is not an option. :shock:
So true! :)

No BS

APR 6 DAY 94 and APR 7 DAY 95

Post by No BS » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:44 pm

APR 6 DAY 94 – SUCCESS

Breakfast: none
Lunch: thick flake oatmeal w/apple sauce, cinnamon, dried cranberries, maple syrup; poppy seed muffin; blueberry juice
Dinner: scotch & soda; leftover black bean veggie stir fry w/quinoa; Snickers

Stella : SUCCESS
Outdoors : -18C, hike with the dogs

APR 7 DAY 95 – SUCCESS

Breakfast: scrambled eggs, bun, grapefruit
Lunch: leftover black bean veggie stir fry w/quinoa
Dinner: almonds, dried cranberries, apple

Outdoors : -15C, hike with the dogs

No BS

Post by No BS » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:54 pm

So once again it is Monday, my weekly weigh-in day. I swear as long as I live I will forever support the fact that numbers on a scale mean bugger all when you are feeling good.

This Monday (today) I weighed-in and am down FOUR pounds.
Last Monday when I weighed-in I found I gained THREE pounds.

So over the past two weeks I have a net loss of ONE pound. I'll take it! :D

Which goes to show you: eat healthy foods, exercise regularly, get a good night's sleep and slowly the pounds will come off - IN SPITE OF YOUR OWN BEST EFFORTS!! :lol:

Sweetness
Location: Fall and winters in Cuernavaca, Morelos Mexico and summers in St Paul, Minnesota

Post by Sweetness » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:18 pm

Congrats on the net loss, and on 94 days!

I'm sure you won't be the only one with white legs after your long winter! Unless everyone else in town is indigenous, that is! When it gets above 0 degrees, I can guess everyone goes out in their Tshirts and short pants where you live! Hope it happens soon! 8)
Patty

Anxiety in a person's heart weighs him down, but an encouraging word brings him joy. (Proverbs 12:25 NET)
I'm a glutton for encouragement.

KL

Post by KL » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:58 pm

No BS wrote: Which goes to show you: eat healthy foods, exercise regularly, get a good night's sleep and slowly the pounds will come off - IN SPITE OF YOUR OWN BEST EFFORTS!! :lol:
Yes, yes, yes :!: And sleep is so often overlooked as part of a healthy lifestyle. I used to think if I stayed up late I was burning more calories. When is actuality, the exact opposite is true. Every "body" needs time to replenish and regenerate. :)
"Everything is permissible for me - but not everything is beneficial...I will not be mastered by anything." 1 Cor 6:12

gk

Post by gk » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:26 pm

No BS wrote:This Monday (today) I weighed-in and am down FOUR pounds.

Last Monday when I weighed-in I found I gained THREE pounds.

So over the past two weeks I have a net loss of ONE pound. I'll take it! :D

Which goes to show you: eat healthy foods, exercise regularly, get a good night's sleep and slowly the pounds will come off - IN SPITE OF YOUR OWN BEST EFFORTS!! :lol:
Good job on the weight loss!!!!

"Eat healthy, exercise and get a good night's sleep".......it's SO simple. Why do we make it so hard?!?! :roll: :)

Keep up the great work! :)

No BS

Post by No BS » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:53 pm

Thanks Patty, KL, & gk! I really do believe my "weight loss trinity" is healthy food, regular exercise and plenty of sleep. And the scale cannot be too important in the big picture if a person feels excellent, keeps consistent habits, and still has the scale swing 7 pounds in two weeks! :D

Reinhard's 100% correct. The important metric is days-on-habit; not pounds lost/gained. Although days-on-habit doesn't sound as sexy, does it.

No BS

APR 8 DAY 96

Post by No BS » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:55 pm

APR 8 DAY 96 – SUCCESS

Lunch: caribou dry meat, apple, orange
Dinner: red wine, chick peas w/veggie stir fry: duck fat, spices, red/green/orange/yellow peppers, onion, celery, mushrooms, tomatoes, garlic, golden raisins

Outdoors : -13C, hike with the dogs
Indoors : elliptical (7:30 am), shugging (7:00 pm)

Sweetness
Location: Fall and winters in Cuernavaca, Morelos Mexico and summers in St Paul, Minnesota

Re: APR 8 DAY 96

Post by Sweetness » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:38 am

No BS wrote:APR 8 DAY 96 – SUCCESS

Lunch: caribou dry meat, apple, orange
Dinner: red wine, chick peas w/veggie stir fry: duck fat, spices, red/green/orange/yellow peppers, onion, celery, mushrooms, tomatoes, garlic, golden raisins
WOW did the plane bring you lots of fresh fruit and veggies this week?
Looks like a great menu!
Patty

Anxiety in a person's heart weighs him down, but an encouraging word brings him joy. (Proverbs 12:25 NET)

No BS

Post by No BS » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:46 am

Patty, you so totally nailed it!! Thanks, eh, for noticing! What has really made the difference is the warm (relatively...) temperatures outside. Most of the produce is arriving intact and unfrozen - so we have a bigger selection to choose from!

It makes me so darn happy to have as many fresh veggies around as I wish to eat, cooked or raw! Not to mention that there is scads of apples & oranges as well, now. It sounds so silly but something as simple as that makes such a huge difference in my day-to-day food choices. :D

No BS

Post by No BS » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:47 am

Patty, I had to laugh when I looked at the time stamps on our posts. You were busy posting on this thread while I was busy posting on your thread!! Too funny! :lol:

MJ7910

Post by MJ7910 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:55 am

sounds like you have had a great week this week! i'm not sure about weighing weekly, you are brave to do it! i think i'm gonna just stick with monthly. hoping i will see a difference this month but if i don't, that's ok. once i have my habits established i hope i won't have to weigh very much at all because i will typically be the same weight plus or minus a few lb.
Current BMI: 22.9. Height: 5'4.5"
Highest BMI: 25.5 in August 2011.
Lowest adult BMI: 20.8 in February 2012.

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:43 am

No BS wrote:Patty, I had to laugh when I looked at the time stamps on our posts. You were busy posting on this thread while I was busy posting on your thread!! Too funny! :lol:
Tee hee! :lol:
Patty

Jonas Jonasson

Post by Jonas Jonasson » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:57 am

Although days-on-habit doesn't sound as sexy, does it.
It actually does when you pronounce it with a heavy German accent, just try it :wink:
Disclaimer (still applicable):
If a person is fairly new to English their English words and expressions are influenced by their mother tongue, so things that might sound impolite to you are not always meant in that way.

KL

Post by KL » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:06 pm

No BS wrote: It makes me so darn happy to have as many fresh veggies around as I wish to eat, cooked or raw! Not to mention that there is scads of apples & oranges as well, now. It sounds so silly but something as simple as that makes such a huge difference in my day-to-day food choices. :D
Not silly at all - just appreciative and grateful. :D
"Everything is permissible for me - but not everything is beneficial...I will not be mastered by anything." 1 Cor 6:12

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:45 pm

KL wrote:
No BS wrote: It makes me so darn happy to have as many fresh veggies around as I wish to eat, cooked or raw! Not to mention that there is scads of apples & oranges as well, now. It sounds so silly but something as simple as that makes such a huge difference in my day-to-day food choices. :D
Not silly at all - just appreciative and grateful. :D
I agree, and you would probably go bonkers with happiness if you could have the fresh choices I have here just 3 blocks from my house. Fruits you probably have never seen!
Patty

No BS

Post by No BS » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:17 am

Sweetness wrote:.... you would probably go bonkers with happiness if you could have the fresh choices I have here just 3 blocks from my house. Fruits you probably have never seen!
No kidding!! It must be an embarrassment of tasty riches!!

No BS

Post by No BS » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:21 am

Jonas Jonasson wrote: It actually does when you pronounce it with a heavy German accent, just try it :wink:
Ja, Jonas, I think you might be right!! :lol:

No BS

Post by No BS » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:26 am

MJ, weighing yourself is fraught with such ridiculous peril it is fair comment wondering why we even bother. :?

Especially when a person's clothes ALWAYS tell the daily truth better than any scale can. :wink:

No BS

Post by No BS » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:35 am

APR 9 DAY 97 – SUCCESS

Breakfast: thawed frozen strawberries w/maple syrup
Lunch: leftover chickpea & veggie stir fry
Dinner: scotch & soda; mashed potatoes, niblets corn, fried eggs

Outdoors : -8C, hike with the dogs
Indoors : elliptical (7:30 am), shugging (8:00 pm)

joasia

Post by joasia » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:00 am

Love your blog and all your success! Thanks for sharing. your meals sound yummy too.
The destiny of nations depends on the manner in which they feed themselves. Jean-Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

No BS

Post by No BS » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:01 am

Thanks, milczar, I have enjoyed checking out your thread as well! :D

No BS

Post by No BS » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:02 am

APR 10 DAY 98 – SUCCESS

Lunch: leftover chickpea & veggie stir fry w/fried eggs
Dinner: scotch & soda; apple, orange

Outdoors : -12C, hike with the dogs
Indoors : elliptical (7:30 am), shugging (7:30 pm)

No BS

APR 11 DAY 99

Post by No BS » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:55 pm

APR 11 DAY 99 – SUCCESS

Lunch: thick flake oatmeal w/dried cranberries, butter, maple syrup, salt; orange
Dinner: scallops w/lemon juice; apple

Outdoors : -6C, hike with the dogs
Indoors : elliptical (7:30 am), shugging (7:15 pm)

OMG! It is deliciously warm today! Major sunshine & blue blue skies! Simply a pleasure to be outside hiking with the dogs. I had a hard time chasing myself back to the office after lunch!! :D

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:05 am

WOW, very happy for you about your sunshine and weather, I understand, but... Can't wait to tell my Mexican friends here what you said. "Deliciously warm and -6 degrees C???" They will not be able to relate! It never goes below zero here except up on the remote mountains. And they don't know what its like to go without sunshine either, even in rainy season the sun shines almost every morning. Its all relative to what you're used to! :wink: 8)
Patty

gk

Re: APR 11 DAY 99

Post by gk » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:29 am

No BS wrote:OMG! It is deliciously warm today! Major sunshine & blue blue skies! Simply a pleasure to be outside hiking with the dogs. I had a hard time chasing myself back to the office after lunch!! :D
I can practically feel the skip in your step you had today. :) Glad you had such a nice day! Somethin about warm sunshine and blue skies makes dieting easier for me. A rainy day will send me to the snack drawer every time. :roll:

Keep up the great work!!! :D

KL

Post by KL » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:06 pm

Whoot hoot :!: Bring out the sunblock. :wink: :wink: :wink:

sleepygirlzzzz
Location: Originally from Chicago; living in the UK for past 11yrs

Post by sleepygirlzzzz » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:15 pm

Look at that - day 99! Congrats, that's amazing and very inspiring.

I am so in awe of your dedication to exercise considering the arctic conditions that you live in. Next time I feel like slacking off due to bad weather, I'll try to keep you in mind for inspiration :D

No BS

Post by No BS » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:22 pm

Patty, those lucky enough to live in warm climates can afford to be blissfully unaware about the cold! Lucky them!! :wink:

gk, I hear you about gloomy weather & munching for comfort! It is amazing what a difference, psychologically, there is in sunshine & blue skies. I was surprised to read studies, though, that say in polar countries the suicide rate is higher during 24-hr light season than it is in 24-hr dark season. I speculate the accelerated lifestyle during light season (go,go,go) coupled with very little sleep stresses out a lot of people. :D

KL, when I am out skidooing or hiking for long hours I have to wear sunblock, especially in the winter. It's like when you are downhill skiing for the weekend. The suns rays bounce off the snow and can really burn your face. I am fair & have freckles so I sunburn really easily.

sleepygirlzzzz ..... but it's a dry cold!! :lol: Whatever the climate we find ourselves in, we all seem to adapt & adjust. I find it incredible that Patty (Sweetness) can go jogging in 90F heat! I'ld be lolling in a lawn chair under a shady tree, sporting a hat & sunglasses, greasy with sunblock, & fondling a cooler full of Coronas & a basket of limes!! :wink:

No BS

APR 12 DAY 100

Post by No BS » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:55 pm

APR 12 DAY 100 – SUCCESS

Lunch: lima beans, spelt kernels, butter, salsa
Dinner: red wine, lima beans, spelt kernels, butter, smoked arctic char

Outdoors : -8C, hike with the dogs

DAY 100!!! Yahoo!! :D

:arrow: When I started in January I made damn sure I didn't look too far ahead. I just focused on my plate and my day - one day at a time. And here I am at 100 days & it is April already. The time just flew by, too.

:arrow: I haven't lost a ton of weight, just a slow & steady amount. I weigh again on Monday but I believe I've lost 15 pounds so far.

:arrow: The bigger accomplishment to me is days-on-habit and 100 days makes me very very very happy. I don't find this lifestyle restrictive at all - in fact I find it very liberating. I don't think about or obsess over food at all. If I want it and it fits on my plate, I have it. Three times a day. Otherwise I don't even think about it anymore to even forget about it. It really is incredibly liberating.

:arrow: I feel fantastic, too, mentally & physically. I love being in charge of all of my life & taking positive control of my eating & exercise habits.

:arrow: I have a ton of energy. My pants are baggy & loose. I can actually pull my trousers off (they have a fitted waistband), over my butt, without unbuttoning/unzipping them. All of my clothes are looser on me.

:arrow: I walk very very tall. My core muscles amaze me - I have this huge "girdle" of hard muscles around my middle, under all the flab, that holds me very straight & tall when I walk & when I sit in a chair. And I have hard muscles that run up either side of my backbone. I have biceps and upper body strength. My leg muscles are hard, calves & quads. And I bounce when I walk & run up stairs.

:arrow: My fat seems rather lonely and awkward, and extremely out-of-place, like an unwelcome guest at a housewarming party. Me and my muscles & healthy energy are all hanging out having a good time, just waiting for my fat to finally piss off and leave us alone. And, in truth, my fat isn't having a good time like it used to in the old place so it is doing its best to sneak away without anyone noticing or making a fuss. I kind of want to yell at my fat "Don't let the door hit you on the ass on your way out" but I dislike being rude. Besides, I'm the one who let my fat in in the first place.

Life is good, weekends are even better, and good habits are the absolute best!! :wink:

Jonas Jonasson

Post by Jonas Jonasson » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:00 pm

Woah...
(devout silence)
Disclaimer (still applicable):
If a person is fairly new to English their English words and expressions are influenced by their mother tongue, so things that might sound impolite to you are not always meant in that way.

Sweetness

Re: APR 12 DAY 100

Post by Sweetness » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:43 pm

No BS wrote:APR 12 DAY 100 –
:arrow: My fat seems rather lonely and awkward, and extremely out-of-place, like an unwelcome guest at a housewarming party. Me and my muscles & healthy energy are all hanging out having a good time, just waiting for my fat to finally piss off and leave us alone. And, in truth, my fat isn't having a good time like it used to in the old place so it is doing its best to sneak away without anyone noticing or making a fuss. I kind of want to yell at my fat "Don't let the door hit you on the ass on your way out" but I dislike being rude. Besides, I'm the one who let my fat in in the first place. :wink:

WOW, NO BS, I loved, Loved, LOVED reading your update especially this bit of prose... FAT PERSONIFIED! What a hoot!!! :lol:

Congrats, kudos, high fives and hurrays to you for 100 days of success, lots of new habits and muscles, more than 15 pounds of fat out the door (I say that because the muscle weighs more) and for being our cheerleader for 100 days. I always look forward to reading your thread and comments.
Patty

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:17 pm

Wow, I loved what you wrote as well. And I could picture everything you said in my mind. The walking taller and feeling stronger, exuding a sense of control. It is amazing when "it" just kicks in and our body (and brain) realizes that is a good way to live, a fun way to live, a HAPPY way to live.

It is something nobody can give us and something nobody can take away. :wink:
Berry

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:02 pm

"2013: Slowly regaining control of my life in plate sized increments."

I loved your 100 day summary, but this statement is what hit home for me. In year three of No S it is still one meal at a time for me. I am not saying that I do not look ahead. After all I shop for more than one meal when I go to the grocery store. I also track red and green days. However, I focus on one meal at a time. That way if I screw up that meal then the focus starts over with the very next meal.

Great job!
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

sleepygirlzzzz

Post by sleepygirlzzzz » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:41 pm

r.jean wrote:"2013: Slowly regaining control of my life in plate sized increments."

I loved your 100 day summary, but this statement is what hit home for me. In year three of No S it is still one meal at a time for me. I am not saying that I do not look ahead. After all I shop for more than one meal when I go to the grocery store. I also track red and green days. However, I focus on one meal at a time. That way if I screw up that meal then the focus starts over with the very next meal.
I agree with r.jean - I've always loved your signature. I also love r.jean's line 'if I screw up that meal then the focus starts over with the very next meal'.

Happy Day 100 No BS!

sleepygirlzzzz

Post by sleepygirlzzzz » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:45 pm

P.S. I think a loss of 15lbs is huge and should definitely be celebrated! Really well done :D

childoftheking

Post by childoftheking » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:52 am

Congratulations on 101 days!!!! :mrgreen: You are such an inspiration to us all! I always love reading your posts and the on for 100 days was fantastic! You are a very talented writer, I too could "see" everything you were talking about. :D
Keep up the wonderful work. 15lbs Is GREAT!

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:02 pm

I agree that you are a very talented writer. I took the liberty of sharing your moving post with some others I know who are struggling (not using even your screen name of course, just said a good friend from a Health board). If you mind, I will certainly delete it. :wink:
Berry

Eeyore

Post by Eeyore » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:18 pm

WOOHOO!!!! You are without a doubt an inspiration.

I've been down on myself lately and your posts always brighten my day.

Thank You.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:33 am

Thank goodness I finally dug myself out of all that laundry in time to witness your amazing accomplishment of 100 days on habit!!! Congratulations - you are a great inspiration to me! And I am sure that your weigh in today will only confirm all the positive changes you have made since January. Good for you!!! :mrgreen: Way to go!!! Woo-hoo!!!

SpiritSong

Post by SpiritSong » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:54 pm

sleepygirlzzzz wrote:P.S. I think a loss of 15lbs is huge and should definitely be celebrated! Really well done :D
I agree! I would love to be down 15 pounds at the 100 day mark, but unlike No BS, I haven't embraced the add more veggies lifestyle.

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:52 pm

Way to go on your 100 days! The 15 lb weight loss is terrific and the overall impact is a true inspiration!!!! :D 8)

No BS

Post by No BS » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:54 pm

OMG!! You guys are simply amazing! The world’s best cheering section is on this incredible BB!! :lol:

Good thing I weighed this morning (no gain/no loss) because I swear I’ve gained 10 pounds from a fat head since I read all of these comments!!

Berry, you are so welcome to use that post if you wish. We are, all of us, in this together. :wink:

No BS

APR 13 DAY 101 AND APR 14 DAY 102

Post by No BS » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:56 pm

APR 13 DAY 101 – SUCCESS

Breakfast: scrambled eggs w/morels, smoked arctic char, ww bun, orange
Lunch: smoked arctic char, butter, ww bun, apple, snickers
Dinner: veggie curry: onion, celery, mushrooms, corn, potato, tomatoes, peppers, coconut, coconut milk; snickers

Outdoors : -7C, hike with the dogs

APR 14 DAY 102 – SUCCESS

Breakfast: leftover veggie curry, apple
Lunch: polenta w/niblets corn & salsa, blueberry juice
Dinner: almonds, dried cranberries, apple, pineapple chunks w/coconut, maple syrup

No BS

Post by No BS » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:12 pm

I didn't gain or lose this week on my weigh-in. I'm grateful.

I am starting my 8th week of my physical challenge - I should probably call it my physical life, as a "challenge" implies I will complete the task. I am hoping I won't complete this task until it takes 2 undertakers half a day to wipe the smile off my face!! :lol:

I'm coasting this week on C25K - maintenance only on the elliptical and not pushing it at all. I am not feeling right for the last couple of days, totally bagged with zero energy. Must've picked up a bug.

Doctoring myself with oregano oil & fluids. And tons and tons of sleep. :roll:

YAWN :oops:

No BS

Post by No BS » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:02 am

APR 15 DAY 103 – SUCCESS

Lunch: polenta w/niblets corn & salsa
Dinner: pecans, apple, orange

Outdoors : -23C, hike with the dogs

Eeyore

Post by Eeyore » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:23 am

103 days!!!! WOWSER!!!!

Hope you feel better.

childoftheking

Post by childoftheking » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:48 am

Fantastic No BS! My goal was to hit 90 days on habit. I think I'll change it to 100 days on habit. You have inspired me! :wink:

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:05 am

Get well soon!
Patty

SpiritSong

Post by SpiritSong » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:24 pm

Take care of yourself. Sometimes those bugs can be defeated with the extra sleep!

MJ7910

Post by MJ7910 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:31 am

No BS wrote:APR 15 DAY 103 – SUCCESS

Lunch: polenta w/niblets corn & salsa
Dinner: pecans, apple, orange

this is fantastic that you have over 100 days!

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:40 am

Hope you're feeling better soon - we miss you!
Take good care of yourself!

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:29 am

Everything okay there in the high north? I'm starting to worry about you...

No BS

Post by No BS » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:57 pm

Hi Amy! Bless your wonderful heart! :D I am still alive & kicking & recovered from a rather nasty bug this week. Mostly high fever, plus the usual workload on top of it so it was a bit of a struggle with very little energy and none of my usual enthusiasm. :(

Even though I wasn't posting or reading the BB, I kept the faith and No"S" and also did my workouts, but with less intensity and for shorter durations. It is simply amazing how habit sustains you through anything. And comforts you, too.

I am glad it is the weekend.... :D I have a ton of personal stuff to catch up on, including everyone's news on this BB!! :wink: Plus my house looks like a bomb went off.......

No BS

APR 16,17,18,19 DAYS 104,105,106, 107

Post by No BS » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:01 pm

APR 16 DAY 104 – SUCCESS

Lunch: chickpeas & cranberry salsa
Dinner: chickpeas & cranberry salsa

Outdoors : -20C, hike with the dogs
Indoors : elliptical (7:30 am), shugging (5:30 pm)

APR 17 DAY 105 – SUCCESS

Lunch: flax, rye porridge w/butter & maple syrup
Dinner: pecans, ww bun w/butter, smoked oysters

Outdoors : -17C, hike with the dogs
Indoors : elliptical (7:45 am), shugging (8:30 pm)

APR 18 DAY 106 – SUCCESS

Lunch: polenta & salsa, scallops
Dinner: pecans, dried cranberries, orange

Outdoors : -21C, hike with the dogs

APR 19 DAY 107 – SUCCESS

Lunch: turbot, couscous w/salsa
Dinner: smoked arctic char, cream cheese, rusks

Outdoors : -25C, hike with the dogs

No BS

Post by No BS » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:07 pm

Took my old red jeep, my two dogs, and my friend and we went for a drive on the ocean to the end of the ice road yesterday after work. Was it ever fun! :lol:

You can feel all the tension & stress literally leave your body the further away you get from the village. You can feel your spirit expand to infinity out on the land. It is a most wondrous feeling of peace. And the complete absence of tension makes your body so relaxed you get sleepy.

Stopped and. while the dogs snooped & ran around, I took lots of pictures of the mountains and the fjord and looking back at the village perched on the edge of the frozen ocean with the huge mountains behind it.

The sun was shining and it was absolutely gorgeous out. Everything is so white and bright - you really need your sunglasses. 8) Sun rise is at 3:00 am and sets at midnight so we pretty much have 24 hour daylight now. Maybe not the greatest for sleeping but super for playing outdoors!! :wink:

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:39 pm

No BS, thanks for sharing this. I really enjoyed reading it. 8)
Patty

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:02 am

Wow - I can only imagine what that jeep ride must have been like! It sounds simply amazing.

Good job on keeping your NoS foundation going even while not feeling your best...and very glad to hear you're doing better. We missed you!

No BS

Apr 20 DAY 108 and APR 21 DAY 109

Post by No BS » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:17 am

APR 20 DAY 108 – SUCCESS

Lunch: smoked arctic char, cream cheese, rusks
Dinner: polenta, salsa, grapes

APR 21 DAY 109 – SUCCESS

Lunch: smoked arctic char, cream cheese, smoked oysters
Dinner: orange, grapes

No BS

Post by No BS » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:20 am

Amy3010 wrote:...and very glad to hear you're doing better. We missed you!
Thanks so much, Amy! I really enjoy reading the BB and keeping up with everyone & their doings, I sure notice it when I am off for a few days.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:54 am

I also enjoy hearing of your lifestyle. In the Midwest (USA), we have four definite seasons, a lot if weather extremes, and varying amounts of light. However, it is nothing like the extremes you experience!
Maintenance is progress.

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:28 pm

I, too, love traveling to your "space". We all appreciate you taking the time to so eloquently share with us.
:wink:
Berry

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:29 pm

r.jean wrote:I also enjoy hearing of your lifestyle. In the Midwest (USA), we have four definite seasons, a lot if weather extremes, and varying amounts of light. However, it is nothing like the extremes you experience!
I live in the Missouri Ozarks, so I hear ya. They are replacing the roofs on our house and all our outbuilidings starting next week due to hair damage. Right before the tornado season 8)
Berry

No BS

Post by No BS » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:18 am

You guys make it fun for me to post! :wink: And having fun with No"S" (at least for me) is absolutely key to succeeding. I always found diets an incredibly dreary and miserable way to exist. No"S" is just the opposite: an easy, relaxed way of eating and living. Total freedom. And lots of fun!! :D

Hail damage can be totally devastating! Hard on roofs, windows, automobiles and crops. We don't normally have hail up here. The bulk of our weather damage come from high winds. The winds will blow off roofs, blow buildings over, blow boats into the ocean, rip the cowling off of skidoos, blow stairs off of buildings. It can get pretty wild.

One time the roof blew off the hotel and left one shit-scared guest hiding under the blankets in his bed in his room on the second floor that night!! Needless to say, he moved to a room on the ground floor before the night was over. :lol:

No BS

APR 22 DAY 110

Post by No BS » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:19 am

APR 22 DAY 110 – SUCCESS

Lunch: turbot, niblets corn, apple
Dinner: red wine, eggs, mashed potato

Outdoors : -24C, hike with the dogs
Indoors : elliptical (8:00 am), shugging (8:00 pm)

No BS

Post by No BS » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:54 am

Strawberry Roan wrote: They are replacing the roofs on our house and all our outbuilidings starting next week due to hai[l] damage. Right before the tornado season 8)
Good grief! That must have been one whopper of a hailstorm! Were the hailstones huge, too? How did the critters and the vegetation weather the storm?

No BS

Post by No BS » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:59 am

r.jean wrote: However, it is nothing like the extremes you experience!
You know r.jean, I grew up on the prairies and I find the weather extremes from prairie country a lot more trying than the straightforward weather up here! :wink:

Plus you guys get tornadoes - *yikes*!!! :shock:

No BS

APR 23 DAY 111

Post by No BS » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:29 am

APR 23 DAY 111 – SUCCESS

Breakfast: black bean soup
Lunch: black bean soup; pineapple w/coconut & dried cranberries, maple syrup
Dinner: red wine, eggs, mashed potatoes

No BS

APR 24 DAY 112

Post by No BS » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:38 am

APR 24 DAY 112 – SUCCESS

Breakfast: pecans, apple
Lunch: black bean soup
Dinner: red wine, fettucine alfredo (butter, flour, coconut milk, onions, mushrooms, garlic, scallops)

Outdoors : -16C, hike with the dogs

Big winds all day today - hopefully going to die down tomorrow. We won't have a plane tomorrow if the wind keep up. I had to hold my mitten over my face to breathe when I was walking the dogs.

MJ7910

Post by MJ7910 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:55 am

wow sounds like a cold and windy day . glad you still got out with the dogs!

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:12 am

When I feel like complaining tomorrow when the temperature only gets to 10 C (instead of 24 C like today) - I will think of you and hold my tongue! Hope your weather improves soon!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:37 pm

hi NoBS :)
i just skimmed thru your posts and wanted to congratulate you on your very successful four months and 15 lbs lost! that's fabulous!
i like the menus you have posted as well... giving me some ideas for incorporating into my own...
keep it up you're doing great!
deb x
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:38 pm

ps... what's "Stella" ?
stella beer?
are you tracking your drinking too?
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

Eeyore

Post by Eeyore » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:46 pm

Black bean soup would be awesome right now...oooohh!!! I wonder if I can talk my fiance into preparing it...hhhmmm

No BS

Post by No BS » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:21 am

Hi MJ and Amy:

Plus 24C sounds awesome right about now!! We went up to -11C today which was a pretty good "warm" day too. And the winds died down so the plane came in. :D

I guess our weather can sometimes sound extreme, but like anything else it really isn't bad when you are used to it! It's just the way it is.

In my next lifetime I am going to fall in love with chihuahua's because they won't insist on going outside in 60 km/h winds just to stretch their hairy little legs!! :lol:

No BS

Post by No BS » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:31 am

Thanks Deb, for me No"S" sure is an easy-peasy way to eat & live.

I do like Stella Artois beer, but that is not why I chose that descriptor. Nor am I tracking my liquor consumption - although there are more than a few years I probably should have!! :lol:

In keeping with Reinhard's No"S" ethos of christening goals with relevant, humourous and inspiring monikers, "Stella" is the moniker I chose for my efforts to incorporate physical exercise back into my life while rebuilding my life back to my norms after dealing with breast cancer.

"Stella" is in honour of the book/movie "How Stella Got Her Groove Back".

No BS

Post by No BS » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:41 am

Eeyore, black bean soup is simply awesome. Is your fiance the cook in the family?

I load my bb soup with corn, tomatoes, onions, garlic, celery, etc. etc. and flood it with tons of spices (black cardamom, cumin, coriander, cayenne, cinnamon, mustard, nigella seed, etc.). There is something incredibly gratifying about the ritual & smells associated with grinding whole spices with a mortar and pestle. And MOLASSES is my top secret ingredient. Ooooops...... a secret is something you tell one person at a time!! :lol:

I love making soups/stews/salsas etc.

Eating out of bowls is one of life's simple pleasures. :wink: Eating out of a hand carved wood bowl made by a dear friend is the absolute best!! :D

No BS

APR 25 DAY 113

Post by No BS » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:50 am

APR 25 DAY 113 – SUCCESS

Lunch: apple
Dinner: whole wheat fettucine, butter, onions, mushroom. garlic

Outdoors : -11C, hike with the dogs
Indoors : elliptical (7:30 am), shugging (7:15 pm)

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:48 am

Mmmm... your black bean soup sounds heavenly...
Patty

Eeyore

Post by Eeyore » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:22 am

He's the cook, I'm the baker.

I'm pretty sure he's gotten tired of me modifying recipes with fat-free this and fat-free that. Even though I don't do that now he doesn't trust me to stick with the recipe...hehe!

No BS

Post by No BS » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:41 pm

APR 26 DAY 114 – SUCCESS

Breakfast: dried cranberries, pecans
Lunch: eggs, noodles
Dinner: pilot biscuits, cream cheese, smoked arctic char

APR 27 DAY 115 – SUCCESS

Breakfast: pilot biscuits, cream cheese, smoked char
Lunch: green grapes, snickers
Dinner: red wine, pilot biscuits, cream cheese, smoked char

Outdoors : -15C, hike with the dogs

APR 28 DAY 116 – SUCCESS

Breakfast: scrambled eggs, pilot biscuits, arctic char
Lunch: sprout salad (sprouted organic: sunflower seeds, lentils, mung beans), snickers
Dinner: pilot biscuits, cream cheese, green grapes

Outdoors : -12C, hike with the dogs

APR 29 DAY 117 – SUCCESS

Lunch: sprout salad, apple
Dinner: gin & tonic, chicken thighs, apple

Outdoors : -10C, hike with the dogs

No BS

Post by No BS » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:45 pm

OMG the time is flying by and I am MIA on posting here! I hope everyone is doing good and plugging away at No"S" with a minimum of fuss & bother.

I skipped my weigh-in today, not deliberately but my day got away from me at work. I think I am doing ok, my clothes feel the same, definitely not tighter. Worse case scenario I probably am maintaining.

It is really warm here right now. Fresh snow. -10C. Absolutely gorgeous outside.

Today is Day 64 of my physical challenge and Day 117 of No "S"!

Eeyore

Post by Eeyore » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:15 am

You are so awesome!!!! I'm still in awe over your days in exercising and NoSing.

MJ7910

Post by MJ7910 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:24 am

This is great though. MIA means you are simply progressing without comment. That is a sign of success

No BS

Post by No BS » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:03 pm

Thanks Eeyore and MJ! I must admit I am happier than a little clam with No "S" and with the way my physical activities are making me feel! :D

The easiest thing for me is to stick to the commitment I made to myself.

And the hardest thing to do is to patiently wait for my body to change & adapt to my new mindset and the new strains and demands being made upon it. It is a fascinating journey. :wink:

I try & keep my emotions out of it (for obvious reasons :lol:) and just clinically evaluate my body, my efforts, & my progress on a daily basis.

No BS

Post by No BS » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:11 pm

So, the winds are +100 km/h and the community, school, nursing station & offices are closed. Now I feel like a kid with a surprise day off of school! :D

My entire house is shakin’, rattlin’ & rollin’ in the wind, the bathroom fan housing is clanging away, and the glass in the windows is vibrating.

Settling in for a lazy nap on the couch while all hell is breaking loose outdoors! :wink:

“The heavens scowled and the huskies howled & the winds began to blow.†- Robert W. Service

No BS

APR 30 DAY 118

Post by No BS » Wed May 01, 2013 3:11 am

APR 30 DAY 118 – SUCCESS

Lunch: scrambled eggs, fried: potato, garlic, pepper, corn, butter; apple
Dinner: gin & tonic, mung bean sprouts w/pecans, chicken thighs, potato w/butter

Outdoors : -9C, serious blizzard w/+120 km/h winds, no hiking with the dogs

No BS

Post by No BS » Wed May 01, 2013 4:36 pm

Ha! Today is a red-letter day! Yahoo!! :D

Today is the day I not only got back into, but actually can wear, my chubbiest blue jeans I abandoned in despair a long time ago!! :lol:

118 days of leisurely No "S" made it possible. :wink:

Rock on, dudes, this is definitely the way to roll! :mrgreen:

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Wed May 01, 2013 7:02 pm

Way to go, No BS!!! You rock!!!! 8) :D 8)

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Wed May 01, 2013 8:22 pm

I remember when I started to wear my old jeans. I was so proud. Then my daughters gave me that "really mom" look and took me to buy some new ones. My old jeans were evidently hopelessly out of style. :wink:
Maintenance is progress.

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Wed May 01, 2013 9:31 pm

I saw that about your jeans, and I started to sing an old song..."I put my blue jeans on, I put my old blue jeans on..." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgRHkrUEz24

then I had to play it! this is a newer version, kindof a feelgood song, hope you feel good.

Good for you!! 8)
Patty

Eeyore

Post by Eeyore » Wed May 01, 2013 10:16 pm

NICE!!!!

No BS

Post by No BS » Thu May 02, 2013 2:29 am

Thanks, guys! :D I must admit when I wear jeans I am at least 1000 pounds lighter in my mind. It's all attitude, eh! :lol:

Good tune, Patty!

r.jean, you're so lucky to have daughters to sort you out. I am so hopelessly uncool I've been wearing the same basic bootcut blue jeans (levis & wranglers) all of my life. It works for my inner-cowboy if not my outer faux-fashionista! :wink:

At my age if you're moaning about being "hip" it usually means you've broken one falling on the ice and have to be med-evaced to the hospital. :lol:

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Thu May 02, 2013 2:49 am

No BS wrote:
At my age if you're moaning about being "hip" it usually means you've broken one falling on the ice and have to be med-evaced to the hospital. :lol:
I was wondering what fashion looks like in a small town in the arctic circle and if you could shop for new jeans if you wanted to... Glad you have some jeans you can wear! I am down to one pair that fits me now, but I have 3 pair waiting for me when I lose just a few more pounds. I can zip them up, but they aren't comfy yet! I think I'll wait to go shopping! 8)
Patty

No BS

Post by No BS » Thu May 02, 2013 3:22 am

MAY 1 DAY 119 – SUCCESS

Brunch: orange, oatmeal w/milk, cinnamon, maple syrup
Dinner: black bean soup, pilot biscuit, orange

Outdoors : -3C, hiking with the dogs
Indoors : elliptical (7:30 am), shugging (6:30 pm)

No BS

Post by No BS » Thu May 02, 2013 4:21 am

Sweetness wrote: I was wondering what fashion looks like in a small town in the arctic circle and if you could shop for new jeans if you wanted to...
Most of the ladies up here dress awesome! I'm afraid I am not in their league at all. In variety or style.

You do the bulk of your shopping when you are down south or you do it online or you go without. :wink:

No BS

MAY 2 DAY 120

Post by No BS » Fri May 03, 2013 5:53 am

MAY 2 DAY 120 – SUCCESS

Lunch: orange, mung bean sprouts
Dinner: gin & tonic, scallops, cranberries w/maple syrup, orange

Outdoors : -17C, hiking with the dogs