Strawberry Roan's Check In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:40 pm

Happy Sunday !

Snowed in, no church - the day will seem very long. I always get my housework caught up before Sunday so the day is free. Will probably organize some clothes, jewelry, etc. Need to get together some stuff to donate to the local Ministerial Alliance thrift store. The farm looks beautiful in the snow.

Had Honey Nut Cheerios with my half banana, 2pct milk, flat seed and cinnamon. It was very filling.

Will have plenty of time to exercise today so that's good.

Lunch was a piece of leftover pizza and a cup of chicken broth along with hot lemon probiotic tea.

Dinner was my salad and a bit of the leftover broccoli/cheese/wild rice casserole.

Ready for Monday, :roll:

To your health all,
Berry

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:51 am

Happy Monday !

AARGH! How exhausted am I ? Very, very, very :roll:

Too tired to make and eat a salad - that's how exhausted.

Had my Special K sandwich for breakfast/lunch, am having lowfat vanilla yogurt with a sliced banana, flax seed and cinnamon for dinner.
Berry

No BS

Post by No BS » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:25 am

Berry, if you are too tired for one of your ginormous exotic salads I know you really must be beat! I hope you get some rest & get your bounce back for tomorrow. Or you'll be suffering salad withdrawals!! :D
If you are not living life on the edge you are taking up too much room!!

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:03 am

Thanks BS, :D I have indeed rebounded and made an extra large salad tonight. I really missed it but could barely lift the spoon to eat my yogurt. Very busy at work, big trial tomorrow - got it all organized today so now I can relax and let the attorneys do the real work :roll:

Didn't eat a bite until 3:00 again, had yogurt/chopped up fresh orange and flax seed. The boss brought me back a Diet Coke from the Courthouse about 4:30, it was fine. I have sorta weaned myself off diet soda so can take it or leave it. I do know that in the past I would have felt compelled to eat something along with it like peanut butter and crackers or popcorn or pretzels but today I did not.

Got in my exercise so I am ready for a night of NCIS es.

To your health all,
Berry

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:39 am

Happy Wednesday All.

FINALLY got the big trial over with. And we were victorious! Four years in the making. YAY :D

I ate breakfast at 2 today, my yogurt, orange, cereal, flax seed combo. It was great. Ate my salad for dinner with half of a huge crisp bright red pepper. It was so sweet and so yummy. I LOVE fruits and vegetables......

I really, really do. :wink:

Got my exercise in, off for a nice long hot bubble bath with a good book.

To your health all,
Berry

No BS

Post by No BS » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:08 am

It sounds like your enjoyable job can be very demanding at times. One thing about eating healthy & exercising, it always seems to give a body the reserves necessary to juggle that type of workload without bottoming out.

Those kind of healthy lifestyle bonuses are the best! :wink:

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:25 pm

So true, if I don't exercise and get enough rest, well let's not go there :roll:

Happy Thursday All,

Just ate breakfast/lunch (it is 11:20). Made homemade waffles and ate two squares (I have the big four square waffle maker), nice hot butter and syrup and had two MorningStar Farms veggie sausage patties, hot and crisp. Loved it all. There were two extra waffles that I would have, at one time, eaten. However, today I threw them out to the birds in the yard.

:wink:

Will be having a late dinner so had a bit of taco rice with salsa, shredded cheese and sour cream - along with an orange - mid afternoon.

Will have my salad and some penne pasta with more of the salsa, etc. this evening.

Worked HARD in the yard today, it was close to 70 degrees. Did a lot of raking and carrying and clipping and picking up brush and cleaning out perennial beds. Felt great.

Ended up just eating the salad, wasn't a bit hungry for the pasta (probably because I ate the rice dish late afternoon which I normally do not do ) so it will most likely be tomorrow night's dinner as I will be out with friends for most of the day.
Last edited by Strawberry Roan on Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Berry

No BS

Post by No BS » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:30 am

OMG!! Yardwork in the sunshine, pushing 70 degrees!! Now I know what I will be dreaming of tonight. :D What a wonderful way to spend the day.

Have a great Easter weekend, Berry!

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:06 am

I have to admit I am envious of you having been able to get out and work in the yard - we woke up to another dusting of snow this morning!

Happy Easter - enjoy your lovely weather!

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:02 am

Thanks Nosers :D I do love to work in the yard. We were blessed with a mild winter the past two years (Missouri), we had a severe drought last year but have been getting a bit of snow and rain lately so hopefully things will be better this Spring. I wish a lovely Spring/Summer/Fall to you all.

BS, do you have seasons there or is it always cold. I know I could Google but well, I am lazy 8)

Happy Friday All,
went out all day with friends, ate a small chili and had a Diet Coke at lunch (Wendy's), am eating a ..... salad ...... right now. Bought a LOT of good fruits and veggies today, lots of good vinegars and good bakery croutons. I am so easy to please.
Berry

No BS

Post by No BS » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:03 am

Yes we do have seasons: DARK (24 hour darkness) season and LIGHT (24 hour sunshine) season.

Dark season runs from Nov-Feb and light season runs from May-Aug.

Our summer temperatures are around 10C, with a really really warm day (unusally high temp) being around 11-12C.

When the ice comes off the ocean, the ambient air temperature gets cooler. When I boat in the summer, I wear my big winter (snowmobiling) parka because the air off the water is so cool. No one is water skiing in the summer!! :lol:

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:52 pm

I imagine by about August in the Midwest, I would be enjoying your sailboat with you, BS. So scooch on over, I'll bring the salad :D

Happy Saturday All,

Had Cheerios/a WHOLE banana :wink: /2pct milk, flax seed, cinnamon - for breakfast. My husband had three pieces of bacon, two fried eggs and a piece of toast. :roll:

The house smells great, I made this brownie topped with chocolate chip cookie dough thing, looks so pretty and I bet it will taste great.

Also have baked beans in the oven, they smell yummy as well.

Taking both dishes to the church dinner tomorrow, won't even taste them. honest.. Of the two, I would love to dive into the baked beans.

Let's see, a bit off track today. Was exercising when company arrived so didn't get it all in but enough. Made a cherry pie for them (okay, okay, it was frozen but I put it in the oven). We visited, ate pie (I ate half a piece, it was good but I didn't want any more, I am not real big on sweets anymore). Made pizza for dinner, ate two pieces. Didn't make my salad as I wasn't hungry - thought I would make it later but never did.

To your health all,
Berry

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:47 pm

Happy Easter Sunday All !!

An absolutely gorgeous day here, beautiful church services and a LOT of food afterwards. I ate some homemade fresh green beans, a slice of baked sweet potato and some of the baked beans I took. That's it. Just sat and watched all the activity. Ate no dessert although there were about a dozen pies and cakes and puddings and cheesecake and homemade Lofthouse type cookies that are one member's specialty. All decorated so pretty. My brownies were a hit, I didn't eat any and left the plate for others to take home if they chose to or to throw out to the birds if that was their desire. As long as they aren't in my house..............

We do have two pieces of cherry pie left that we will probably eat later tonight!

I ate some yogurt with a sliced banana with flax seeds and cinammon late in the afternoon, was so refreshing. Had my giant salad for dinner, couldn't finish it all.
Last edited by Strawberry Roan on Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Berry

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:03 pm

Happy Monday All !! (Didn't eat the pie last night, forgot all about it)

Guess what the Easter Bunny brought us?

A beautiful, healthy great granddaughter. What a blessing. And even more reason to eat right and exercise - to try and live a long productive life with her (and her three cousins, my great grandsons).

Ate an orange and drank hot lemon tea with green probiotics for breakfast. Will eat some penne pasta with fresh salsa, light sour cream and shredded cheese for lunch. Maybe with some garlic bread - yeah, that's a GREAT idea!

Exactly as planned for lunch, mid afternoon I was really tired at work, made some fresh coffee and ate some Honey Nut Cheerios (dry), that was enough to keep me going. Had my big salad for dinner.

Ready for Tuesday - going to be busy as we are doing the monthly statements and have six clients scheduled as well!

To your health all,
Berry

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:27 am

Congrats on your Easter gift!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

No BS

Post by No BS » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:56 am

Berry, what an absolutely amazing Easter gift!! Congratulations! :D

KL

Post by KL » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:05 am

Strawberry Roan wrote:
So now I just try to eat pretty clean 7 days a week and have a treat or snack when I want to. Which isn't very often. I never eat seconds, never have.
Can I be you when I grow up :?: :lol:
"Everything is permissible for me - but not everything is beneficial...I will not be mastered by anything." 1 Cor 6:12

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:28 am

:D

Thanks for the kind words about our new little pink bundle. She is absolutely gorgeous, honest. And so smart, and funny and what wit 8)

Happy Wednesday all, worked very hard today. Had a severe headache which is very rare. Ate as planned yesterday, yogurt with orange chunks, flax seed and cinnamon for breakfast/lunch - had a layered salad last night, tortilla chips covered with refried beans, shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, avocado slices, thin red pepper slices that were SOOO sweet, sour cream, shredded cheese, olives etc. sprinkled with flax seed. It was very good and very filling.

Had no breakfast today, ate a bit of leftover deli potato salad and coleslaw for lunch (wanted to use it rather than throw it away), both were very very good. Had a Diet Coke and a 100 calorie bag of popcorn mid afternoon, thought the caffeine would help my headache - it did a bit I suppose. I never eat the bagged microwave popcorn at home, we make it in a dish that has a plastic vented lid, you just put 1/4 cup of real popcorn in, no oil or anything, and put it in the microwave for four minutes. Very fluffy and all natural.

I am buying a popcorn maker like that for work as I don't trust whatever that chunk of yellow/orange stuff is in the prebagged stuff.

Headache finally left after I got home and changed into yoga pants and did my exercise. Probably just needed to relax. Had a big salad for dinner, all is right with the world.

To your health all,
Berry

SpiritSong

Post by SpiritSong » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:22 pm

The layered salad sounds yummy! Sometimes when I'm trying to be good, I turn my turkey tacos into a taco salad. :D

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:17 pm

Turkey tacos sound good enough to gobble. Get it, gobble :D :D :D

A little review, if you will -

Just had a yummy lunch, a serving of New World Farms 100 pct natural, Chinese Stir Fry Vegetables,

Brocoli florets, sugar snap peas, red bell peppers, onions and sweet baby corn (whole little corns, miniature, adorable and so yummy).

I was testing it (had a horrible frozen Steamables meal yesterday with some infused olive oil, took one bite and threw it away). This has nothing but the veggies. I just microwaved what I thought was a serving (about 1/4 of the bag, I didn't measure but it would have been about 3/4 up - 35 calories!... So a person could eat the whole bag for a meal and it would be 140 calories)Should they choose.

I added a tablespoon of Kikoman Preservative Free Stir Fry Sauce - 20 calories - it was plenty to add some flavor. Sweet and Sour Sauce or pomegranate/red or white wine/etc. vinegars would have also been good.

I really liked the texture of the veggies, crisp but not so crisp they were hard to chew. They all actually tasted as they should have, fresh and good. I bought several bags at WalMart (they were less than two dollars a bag) and will be taking some to work for a healthy, handy meal. I will make some again tonight with dinner as a sidedish - will probably make it in my stir fry pan with a spray of Olive Oil to crisp them a bit. But they actually were fine in the microwave. :) I think I only put them in for a minute.

They also have some good recipes on the bag for shrimp - and chicken - stir fry where you can add other veggies, etc. to make a main dish if you want to.
Berry

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:07 am

MANY CONGRATULATIONS BERRY ON YOUR PRETTY PINK BUNDLE!! :D :D :D :D
No S-er since December 2009
Streamlined S Days: 6/25/12
SW: 170 /CW: 127
Weight loss to date: 43 lbs

childoftheking

Post by childoftheking » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:07 am

Congratulations Berry on your new great granddaughter! What a blessing and on Easter too!
I too am a Missouri girl. Beautiful day today!
I enjoy your posts. Keep up the good work. You are an inspiration to so many. :D

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:13 am

Thank you both so much. This board has the nicest people I have ever "met" on line. I mean that sincerely, such supportive posters, I am proud to call you friends.

ChildoftheKing, I live in the SW part of the State, not too far from Branson. We ARE having some pretty weather, supposed to be even warmer tomorrow, close to 70 by Saturday! But you know what they say about Missouri, if you don't like the weather - hang around a couple hours - it will change :D

Ate some more of my stir fry for dinner as I wanted the hubby to try it, also had some of his mashed potatoes :roll: :roll: Both were great. Didn't need my salad as I had veggied all day!

Going out with friends for the day tomorrow, won't eat much as we usually end up in some fast food place as that is usually handy to where we are shopping at it seems - so my pickin's are slim. That's fine, my salad will taste even better tomorrow night.
Berry

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:11 pm

Happy Friday All,

No breakfast, shopped a lot :D , ate at Burger King which was great as I could have their veggie burger (along with onion rings and a Diet Cherry Dr. Pepper). It was yummy, very filling. I didn't even have a frappe or ice cream cone.

honest :roll:

Salad for dinner, exercise as planned. And I DID walk around shopping for several hours!!!!!!!!!
Berry

KL

Post by KL » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:18 pm

BK Veggie Burgers are awesome :D I have not had onion rings as an adult - maybe one day I can let go of ole diet-head guilt and have one or some :) Thanks for inspiring me :!:
"Everything is permissible for me - but not everything is beneficial...I will not be mastered by anything." 1 Cor 6:12

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:36 pm

KL wrote:BK Veggie Burgers are awesome :D I have not had onion rings as an adult - maybe one day I can let go of ole diet-head guilt and have one or some :) Thanks for inspiring me :!:

I say go for the onion rings, a small order is only 179 calories (or so they say). Heck, put some flavored vinegar on a salad instead of three or four T of dressing and VIOLA!, you are even. :D

Happy Sunday All,

Went out for a bit this morning, an early funeral (10 a.m.), a lovely 88 year old woman who was well loved and had a beautiful service. Didn't eat before we went and didn't feel like going to the after service meal so we can home and I made my husband sausage and pancakes. I didn't really want pancakes, wanted yogurt - but I had enough mix left for a couple so I made them and topped them with yogurt and cinnamon and flax seeds instead of butter and syrup. Win, win!

Will have plenty of time to exercise today, I love that!

Was cleaning out the pantry early afternoon so I drank some chicken broth and ate some croutons and pork rinds :D
Berry

No BS

Post by No BS » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:26 pm

Berry, your food choices & menus are simply a pleasure for me to read about! Sometimes I literally drooool. Excuse me, time to go get a napkin........and dab my chin. :lol:

Especially love an occasional feed of onion rings, generously anointed with handfuls of salt!!

Whenever I think of Missouri I think of Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens - love Mark Twain and his books. I promised myself for decades if I ever had a kid I would name him/her Finn. :wink:

Have a great weekend!

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:55 pm

Hey, Finn would be a COOL name indeed !

And, yes, salt is as Martha would say, a Good Thing... I am lucky to have very low blood pressure so the doctor said to eat all the salt I could handle.

And all the cheese.

Oh, wait, I made up that last part :oops:

Dinner is a big salad with lots of fresh spinach leaves and a fresh cut up orange along with all the other goodies. Also had five phony chik'n *gotta love it* nuggets from Morning Star along with some honey mustard dipping sauce.

Loved it all, got in plenty of exercise today. Happy with myself, happy with my life.

Just downright happy :D
Berry

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:38 pm

Happy Sunday All,

Beautiful day here (but severe storms might be on the way) :shock: Cleaned up some outdoor furniture, got out some planters, etc. but not the glass topped umbrella table set. It can wait a bit until the weather stabilizes.

Had breakfast/lunch of Cheerios/2 pct milk/half banana/flax seeds/ cinnamon.

Now am eating (early afternoon) a mixed vegetable medley (the baby corn, broccoli, red pepper strips, sugar peas, onions, etc. with a bit of sweet and sour sauce, lots of salt :D and some flax seeds.

I stood at the pantry and stared at the potato chips, snack crackers, cookies, etc. - saw the various candy dishes sitting around filled - then opened the freezer and saw the veggies.... YAY, now that's a snack I can sink my teeth into. Followed it with about half a cup of nice cold vanilla low fat yogurt with cinnamon swirled through it - and flax seeds, of course. I am trying to maintain my 2-3 T of coldmilled ground flax seed a day.

Made us both some air popped popcorn about five as I was about to go to sleep while the Cards were whooping up on the Giants :roll: :roll: - Let's hope that holds... We just spray our popcorn with Butter Spray and sprinkle with salt, lots of salt...Drinking lots of ice water, I swear I drink a couple gallons a day. We have two wells on our property and our water is nice and cold and tastes so good. Vital component to the flax seed.

Making garlic baked chicken for him for dinner, with green beans and vermicelli with olive oil and fresh herbs (he loves that.) I will add my leftover cold veggies to the pasta and have a side dish of that along with my salad.

Got in double my exercise today including 200 of the Ab Coaster Plus ab crunches,,,,,love it!

To your health all,
Berry

No BS

Post by No BS » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:54 am

Strawberry Roan wrote: Just downright happy :D
What a wonderfully simple, and simply wonderful, way to be!

Sounds like you had a super weekend but I suspect you might be in overdrive at the office, today. :wink:

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:40 am

Happy Monday and Tuesday All !!

You got that right BS, very busy yesterday indeed. And today - my husband is having a pretty serious surgical procedure tomorrow so I crammed the five days of work that I normally do in three days into two :roll: :roll: :roll:

On track with my food and exercise, really too nervous to eat much more than my salads and yogurt and fruit. Not sure what I will eat at the hospital, hopefully not too many sodas from the vending machine. :shock:

To your health all,
Berry

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:57 am

Berry -- Holding you and your DH in my thoughts & prayers today ...

No BS

Post by No BS » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:11 am

Berry, you guys in Missouri have been much on my mind today. Hope all is well with you both. :)

SpiritSong

Post by SpiritSong » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:07 pm

Sending good thoughts to your husband today.

Jonas Jonasson

Post by Jonas Jonasson » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:34 pm

Yes, alles Gute from me as well
Disclaimer (still applicable):
If a person is fairly new to English their English words and expressions are influenced by their mother tongue, so things that might sound impolite to you are not always meant in that way.

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:56 am

Thinking of you and yours, dear Berry
No S-er since December 2009
Streamlined S Days: 6/25/12
SW: 170 /CW: 127
Weight loss to date: 43 lbs

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:27 pm

How very kind of all of you to offer up good wishes. They worked !

My husband is home and doing so much better. They performed a new surgery on him (first time in that hospital) and it should alleviate his severe pain while buying time before an amputation is needed. Hopefully there will be advances in the future that will make that surgery unnecessary as well.

He is in a little pain, it took them two hours to access the site initially and several more hours of surgery - they did a retrograde access through the top of his foot as opposed to the normal antegrade access through the groin - using a .014 wire. And lots more I don't understand :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

But, we are home, and I am happy.

Salads are sold by the ounce at the hospital :shock:

Thanks again.
Berry

SpiritSong

Post by SpiritSong » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:18 pm

Salads are sold by the ounce at my job too. I would buy them more often, but the choices don't generally look very good. :|

Wishing your husband a speedy recovery!

Jonas Jonasson

Post by Jonas Jonasson » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:33 pm

God to hear that you are both doing better!
Disclaimer (still applicable):
If a person is fairly new to English their English words and expressions are influenced by their mother tongue, so things that might sound impolite to you are not always meant in that way.

No BS

Post by No BS » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:10 pm

Strawberry Roan wrote: Salads are sold by the ounce at the hospital :shock:
Good thing you were only there for the day. With your penchant for salads, your dinner could have cost more than the surgery!! :lol:

So glad to hear everything went well, Berry.

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:37 pm

Thank you all. And you got that right, BS. I didn't eat a salad at all while I was there, shame that a double cheeseburger with bacon and an order of fries was more than a good healthy salad would have been. I hate when I see how much more "bad" food costs, be it in the store or in a cafeteria.

I ate pretty well, had taken some stuff with me - fruit, whole wheat crackers, etc. Ate a baked potato with broccoli and cheese on it in the little coffee shop. Only drank one Diet Dr. Pepper, lots of water and pretty good coffee. Had no desire for any of the candy bars, chips, etc. in the vending machine or any of the pastries in the coffee shop. Literally no desire at all.

Glad to be back on track, have gone shopping and loaded up with lots of yummy stuff.

Had blueberry pancakes for breakfast along with a sliced kiwi :wink:

S A L A D for dinner!
Berry

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:10 pm

Had my giant salad last night, filled with various greens, veggies and fruits - topped with garlic red wine vinegar, lemon pepper onion crisps and Texas toast croutons, Ahhhh I felt like an addict who had gotten their fix.

Well I think that is how they would feel, I really haven't never partook :roll:

Had about a half cup of steel cut oats for breakfast, topped with a handful of blueberries, vanilla yogurt, cinnamon and flax seed. I had lilac colored oatmeal and it was heavenly!
Berry

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:37 am

Good to see you sticking to good healthy habits in spite of recent challenges. These are the times that can throw us off track while at the same time being the most crucial times to do healthy things for ourself!
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:16 pm

Thanks r.jean :wink:

Been really busy this week, at work and at home. Eating good, exercising, sleeping (when the wind, rain and hail isn't keeping me awake) :roll:

Had an omelette with red and green pepper strips, fresh tomato chunks and cheese for breakfast/lunch. It was great. Just ate a kiwi, it was yummy as well.
Berry

No BS

Post by No BS » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:19 pm

Hi Berry, glad to hear everything is going well in your neck of the woods! :D

It has been a long time since I have heard rain on my roof! :lol:

We are pretty much up to 24 hours day sunlight now, with sunrise at 3:00 am and sunset at midnight. It is so bright out (sunshine & white white snow & ice as far as the eye can see) I have to wear my sunglasses or my eyes tear up. 8)

Our overnight temperatures are still going down to -25C, though the daytime temperatures are in the low minus teens. :)

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:46 pm

Morning No BS and all. I would think that all that daylight would make it difficult for sleep patterns but I suppose people get used to it. I couldn't get used to the cold, that I DO know.

Got lots of outdoor exercise yesterday, then just sat in the new lawn cushions and closed my eyes and let the sun warm me for a while to relax. I am so ready for summer, hanging baskets, filling the fountains, even weed-eating (my favorite chore, I love a manicured lawn). It is going to be 70 today.

Yesterday we had waffles for breakfast, I ate two squares and nothing else - there was a time I would have eaten four squares along with sausage or something. Had leftover spaghetti with fresh salsa for lunch and homemade stuffed green peppers (stuffed with wild rice, tomatoes, red peppers, onions and herbs) topped with salsa and crushed garlic butter crouton bread crumbs I ate half of a pepper, it was very good.
Berry

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:21 pm

Happy Monday,

Got in lots of yardwork yesterday, picking up sticks and rocks and walnuts, so my husband could mow as well as doing the final cleanup on all the perennial beds and getting the planters filled with fresh soil, etc. The amazing news is eleven days post surgery he is back on the John Deere! YAY.... He was in such pain before the surgery he couldn't even stand up straight. Very grateful.

Ate a kiwi and an orange in plan lowfat yougrt with cinnamon and flax seed for breakfast yesterday, a few pork rinds in the afternoon as a snack as I needed some salt in me, and my huge salad for dinner.

Ate vanilla low fat yogurt for breakfast today with dried Honey Nut Cheerios/cinnamon and flax seed, then had a 100 calorie bag of popcorn and a Diet coke for lunch followed by a bit of something healthier 8) about 3, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots in cheese mix (Green Giant Steamables, about a cup). Will have my salad for dinner with a tiny bit of leftover spaghett topped with homemade salsa and melted cheesei. Would eat it with a huge plate of leftover spaghetti but only a tiny bit is left :D

To your heatlh all,
Berry

SpiritSong

Post by SpiritSong » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:02 pm

Glad to hear your husband is feeling better! :D

It is time for my DH to get the mower ready so I can do the first mow of the season. As for the landscaping, I need to have my friend over to give me remedial lessons. :oops: I think at this point we mostly need to pull things out and get some dirt down.

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:11 pm

Thanks so much.
Enjoy your yardwork. I think the only reason it doesn't seem like work is because we have waited so long to be out and about again.

Happy Thursday All,

Didn't eat anything during the day yesterday, not sure why, just wasn't hungry. Ate a veggie burger (spicy black bean) and some oven baked frozen onion rings for dinner. Threw some of the onion rings out to the birds - something I would have NEVER done a year or two ago. I could have eaten the whole bag and this was only a serving.

Ate the end of the leftover spaghetti with some fresh chopped tomatoes, herbs and cheese melted on top for breakfast and then ate some plain Greek yogurt with frozen blueberries and a cut up fresh orange for lunch. I am so crazy........... :roll:

Will get in my exercise late this afternoon and then have my big salad for dinner.
Berry

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:47 am

Went shopping today and bought lots of beautiful, colorful, healthy food. Walked down the aisles of cookies and chips and candy and honestly had no desire - but when I get to the produce section, all heck breaks loose :D

The only "snacks" I bought were popcorn (microwave for work - 100 calorie bags), caramel corn rice cakes (7 little ones, 60 calories), pork rinds, no carbs of course, my boss eats these with hot sauce on them :roll: That and a couple of the frozen Smart Ones meals and some of the flatbread cheese and egg sandwiches. And a carton of Diet Dr Pepper for the office fridge, should the mood strike me. It is a very freeing feeling to just eat whatever I want, more freeing to not want too much of the wrong stuff. And a pair of black jeans I hadn't worn for a while were so loose!

Doing great, exercise on track, ate Wendy's chili (small) and a diet soda for lunch - didn't want the fries or Frostee that I might had had in earlier times.

Ate my giant salad for dinner and fresh sliced strawberries and cool whip later on.

A great day shopping with friends, rained all day but the mall was covered 8)

To your health all,
Berry

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:07 pm

Happy Saturday. Still raining. Wonder what the correlation is between torrential rain and a tarp being all that is covering the broken skylight in our bathroom?

:wink:

Ate a late breakfast of HoneyNut Cheerios, 2pct milk, half a banana, flax seeds and cinnamon. Ate some air popped popcorn about three while watching the game, followed by a thin mint - a little one. A habit we got into at the movies :roll:

Making a big pork roast for dinner, I won't eat the meat but I am also cooking cubed potatoes (white and sweet), baby carrots, onions and celery in the broth so I will eat those and a salad. I always cook the roast in the crock pot, then drain the juices off - refrigerate and let the fat rise to the top, remove it and put the broth back in to cook the veggies. Also will pop some dinner rolls in the oven, that will be yummy.
Berry

sleepygirlzzzz
Location: Originally from Chicago; living in the UK for past 11yrs

Post by sleepygirlzzzz » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:22 pm

You sound like you are doing amazingly well in all areas - exercise, mindset (craving healthy vs junk) and weight loss. It's always inspiring to read about other people's success.

:D

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:23 am

Thank you. And, of all those mentioned, mindset is the key. Once a person gets into the right "space", everything else is easy. No matter how many billions or trillions of dollars spent on the weight loss industry, it really is just eating right and exercising.

Happy Monday All - had a great weekend, ate lots of fruits and veggies, got in my exercise, enjoyed my time off but ready to get back to work.

The sun is finally out after what seems like months of rain :roll: :roll:
Berry

No BS

Post by No BS » Wed May 01, 2013 2:25 am

Hi Berry! I've been out of the loop for a bit and am just now catching up on everyone's news.

I am so glad your cowboy husband is back on his tractor and doing great! What a relief. :D

You, my dear, are doing great too and are an inspiration to us all. I so totally agree that when you hit balance it is easy to stay there, because anything else just feels so plain wrong!! :wink:

I always tell myself: Be careful what you wish for, it just might come true!!! :lol:

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Fri May 10, 2013 12:56 pm

Hey there, Thanks BS and all for the good wishes. My husband is getting stronger each day, so happy!

Staying on track, don't think about it too much anymore, I just KNOW when I am eating less healthy than I should and try to keep those times to a minimum. I just feel better, physically and mentally, when at the end of the day I can say, All right! Another great day.

Exercise is the easy part, getting even more now that the weather is better (although we did have record breaking snow on May 3, close to 7 inches. It only lasted a day so it was magical not annoying.)

Busy at work but still loving it.

To your health all, went shopping yesterday and bought about two hundred dollars worth of fruits and vegetables.

honest :roll:
Berry

No BS

Post by No BS » Mon May 13, 2013 2:35 am

Berry two hundred bucks would buy a lot of fresh fruit & veggies - even up here where the prices can be high!! Sounds like a fantastic haul! :D

I am craving fresh asparagus and avocados. A pilot friend of mine said he would bring me some from the down south stores next time he flies up. My mouth is already watering............... :wink:

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Mon May 13, 2013 4:05 am

Okay, maybe about 100 bucks worth :D

The rest was spent on flavored vinegars and croutons and onion crisps and other salad necessities.

Had avocados today, they were so buttery and yummy!
Berry

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Wed May 15, 2013 10:51 am

Happy Wednesday All,

Life is going great! Still eating wonderful foods and loving them.

For breakfast/lunch yesterday I had about a half cup of low fat vanilla yogurt with a cut up banana in it, a handful of Kashi Go Lean, sprinkled with cinnamon and flax seeds!

Dinner was my giant salad with baby butter lettuce, red leaf lettuce, spinach, cucumbers, tomatoes, black olives, cut up orange sections and a few dried cranberries, slices of the creamiest, butter colored avocado, a sprinkle of shredded mozzarella and sharp cheddar cheese, garlic croutons and lemon pepper onion crisps - topped with flax seed and drizzled with red wine vinegar. I was so looking forward to it, so excited to make it, I am becoming a salad addict :roll: I crave my salads. Is that so Wrong? :shock:

I have added about 45 minutes of brisk walking on my lunch hour (when possible) to my exercise routine, it feels so good, I work in a pretty little historic town so I get to see a lot of nice homes and pretty yards while out walking around.
Berry

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Fri May 24, 2013 1:02 pm

Happy Friday!
Hope you all are healthy and happy.

I am doing great, thought of this board yesterday as I was making breakfast/brunch. I was eating my plain yogurt with a cut up orange and handful of blueberries topped with flax seed and cinnamon - had made my husband pancakes and bacon. I used to always eat special foods like that on my days off with him, but now I just don't want it.

Ate some tortilla chips and salsa mid afternoon to get some salt in my system (I have very low blood pressure) and didn't feel like dinner. As I posted to another member, if I am hungry I eat. If I am not hungry, I do not.

Been getting in twice as much exercise as I normally do, have been SORE when I wake up each morning due to all the extra walking and yardwork.

It feel great!

To your health all,
Berry

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:24 pm

Happy Sunday and Happy June fellow Nosers.

Loving the summer, although it took forever to get here it seems. Very busy at work and even busier at home. Glad to get in the extra exercise. Eating pretty clean, lots of fresh fruits and veggies at good buys (especially at Aldis - got eight kiwis for 1.99 and strawberries for 99 cents a quart, avocados for 25cents each - all are perfect!

Made a huge salad last night, couldn't eat it all, ate two pieces of veggie pizza along with it.

Hope everybody is doing G R E A T !
Berry

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:05 am

Hello All,

Stopping by for a check in. Doing well, had an interesting day. Went to a big family reunion - where the tables are laden with food. I ate a bit of a lot of different things, and a lot of a couple of things. Mindless eating of rippled chips, etc. while drinking a diet soda. Then I had a dessert sampler platter with about six different desserts (a little bit of each). I ate about four. They were good. But, you know what? I really didn't like the feeling at all. I came home and didn't eat any dinner, probably won't eat much tomorrow . I just don't like the feeling of having a lot of food inside me.

Very interesting observation. I could eat all I wanted, and did, but won't do so again for a long, long time. Probably Thanksgiving or something. I truly don't know how anybody could tolerate that feeling every day. And I actually ate rather healthy food. No meat, no bread, just a couple different kinds of salads, baked beans, the chips and the desserts. It is just that I don't do excess well anymore.

And, that is a good thing. :roll:

Getting massive amounts of exercise, lots of yard work along with walking and the usual exercise room routine. I, mowed, weed-eated and painted fences for about four hours straight yesterday! I slept great last night.

To your health all.
Berry

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:05 pm

Woo!! Hoo!! Well Done!!

It is so nice when you can enjoy just a little bit even when you are spoilt for choice.
Hugs from Sunny South Africa
Vanilla No S with no Sugar due to Health issues - 11 yrs No S - September 2016 (some good, some bad (my own doing) but always the right thing for me!)

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:30 pm

Glad to hear of the changing appetite.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:14 am

Happy Summer All !

I have been sooooooooo busy here. We have been doing a lot of work around the place, getting new roofs of course meant we had to paint the shutters and redo the decks and, well you know the drill.

Like buying a new lamp, then you have to paint the living room :roll:

Everything looks so nice, we sat on our newly stained front porch last night and drank a glass of wine while we looked at the supermoon. A bit hazy but still super.

The yard looks so pretty right now, filled with perennials in bloom. Everything is doing so much better this year, last year everything was BROWN due to our drought.

Don't really think about my weight, it has stayed within a pound or so of goal for a long, long time. I eat well and exercise every day so it has just become a lifestyle now. I see all the stuff in the vending machine at the Courthouse (work) and it doesn't even appeal to me. Once in a while a Diet Dr. Pepper or Coke Zero does but not a candy bar.

Hope you are all doing well,
To your health,
Berry

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:44 pm

Nice to hear you sound so grounded!

It is interesting how many foods don't seem important anymore, though a few surprising things still have a draw. It bothers me a little, but I have to remember that I rarely follow through. But I still think about the issue more than I'd like. Can't put that one on No S.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:17 am

Hello friends,

Staying busy, staying on track. Still on the big salad kick - often that is my only dinner. Been so busy at work - have been snacking more than I should. Not bad snacks, but not real meals either. Latest thing is sweet potato chips with sea salt. pretty good :roll:

Haven't been getting as much of my exercise room workout but have been getting a lot of outdoor exercise - not the same thing as far as the abs but I know that it will be cold weather for a long time and I will be stuck inside.

Hope everybody is doing well and enjoying their summer. :wink:
Berry

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:06 pm

One bodybuilder/trainer said he once went for an entire year without doing any specific abs work. I guess a summer without much is acceptable!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:38 pm

oolala53 wrote:One bodybuilder/trainer said he once went for an entire year without doing any specific abs work. I guess a summer without much is acceptable!
Good to know! :D

I am going to try to at least get in the 100 reps on the Ab Coaster Plus - I really feel that it helps keep me a bit toned or perhaps just a bit less flabby!

I also have resolved to watch the snacks, no matter how busy I am. I am going to cut up a lot of cucumbers and tomatoes today, boil some eggs, cut up some fruit - handy snacks and healthier than what I have been eating. Also have to watch the diet sodas and maybe even the glass of wine at night (although that truly is for health reasons, I am not a big drinker as far as being a party girl :wink: )

I know I will feel better - the cleaner I eat, the better I feel. Simple really but so easy to stray from.
Berry

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:07 pm

I think the value in abs work is actually in keeping the core exercised if daily life doesn't tax it. What makes abs stand out is reduced body fat, not the abs work. (per that bodybuilder, Tom Venuto. Yes, I succumbed years ago to his program. So glad that's not my goal now. Reinhard is my hero! So much more to life. BTW, I wrote to Venuto years ago telling him that I felt the bodybuilder focus was getting in my way. He wrote back and said he completely understood. It's definitely personal and not necessary for a good life.) But I find when I'm doing my pseudo-shovelglove work, swinging around a weight, I feel it in my abs then and I feel springier later. So Coast away, girl!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:43 pm

:D As a matter of fact, I did 100 this morning and will do 100 this evening. I am certainly not trying to be a bikini model or anything, just as you said, I want a strong core - strong back. I actually do farm work and can throw a 50 lb salt block or bale of hay over a fence with the best of them! I want to maintain as much strength as I can for as long as I can.

I actually have eaten cleaner the past two days, found myself reaching for a cream filled caramel from the candy dish - and said No - didn't have a diet soda or wine last night, am not having any of the pork rinds my husband is eating right now - probably none of it would have killed me

but I didn't need them. Feel better for it.

Made a great homemade pizza last night - topped with stir fry veggies (mini corn, broccoli, red pepper strips, onions, Etc.) I caramelized the veggies first in a nonstick skillet sprayed with olive oil to remove any liquid and then put them on the crust with a handful of cheese, some sliced black olives and fresh Italian herbs (from my son's garden).

When the pizza was almost done, I put it under the broiler to char the veggies and cheese a bit. It was heaven! Ate three pieces, will eat another piece for lunch with fresh cucumbers and a bowl of fresh cantaloupe. I had some cantaloupe for breakfast and it was perfect!

Bought two HUGE beautiful Athena cantaloupes yesterday, along with beautiful peaches, nectarines, strawberries and black plums. As well as a lot of fresh veggies. This is my time of year and I am not going to muck it up with processed junk! Drinking a lot of water as well, we have spring fed wells on the farm so the water is always cold, crisp, clear!

To your health all (and thanks for the info and encouragement oolala :wink: )
Berry

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:24 pm

Just spent the afternoon reading your check ins on and off. Very enjoyable. Just saying "Hi".
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139
Willingness without action is fantasy

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:16 pm

Thank you very much snapdragon. Reading my thread was probably sleep inducing, I am about the least exciting person I know :D

Please stop by and say Hi whenever you are in the neighborhood.

Ate some cucumbers and cantaloupe for lunch with a piece of leftover pizza. Then had some airpopped popcorn about three. Dinner will be a salad - a BIG salad :roll: and some fruit. Glad I got in some exercise today, it is raining outside so I don't have to water which will give me time to check out the machines. I love my exercise room!
Berry

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:33 pm

Happy Thursday all,

Wonderful week so far. (My work week is over as I work M, Tu and W).

Got a nice raise at work yesterday, wasn't expected so that made it nicer. :wink:

Eating has been going great. It is just so truly amazing, if I stay off the diet soda and the "healthy" snacks, the weight drops away and the stomach gets flat. It is so easy - yet I keep having to restart it again :roll: Feeling great right now. I also have cut out the evening glass of wine - can take it or leave it. Probably better for my weight and skin if I don't drink it, I will get my antioxidants elsewhere as I eat so much fruit.

Speaking of fruit, I have lived on cantaloupe, black plums, peaches and nectarines this week - along with my beloved salads, of course.

I feel so so so much better if I just don't reach for the

cookies,
snack crackers,
pork rinds,
popcorn,
pretzels,
sweet potato chips,
etc. etc. etc.
Berry

finallyfull

Post by finallyfull » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:05 pm

As you said "This is my time of year and I am not going to muck it up with processed junk!" -- I love that.

It's like reading great books. Yes, it's fun to read the page-turning fluffy stuff, and you should, sometimes. But when you delve into the heartier stuff, it's so satisfying and actually stays with you in a positive way forever.

Things that feel good often lead to nothing, or worse. Things that feel hard often lead to feeling GREAT.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:29 pm

Isn't it interesting how many of the junk foods start with s, c, or p? Maybe Reinhard needs to suggest some other letters as a mod.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:52 pm

That is funny, isn't it? Carbs and Calories and Cheesecake!!!!

++++++++++++++

Doing great, have decided to watch my carbs more closely and it is really working. Even joined the Atkins community just to stay informed. They are sending me three of their meal bars to try, I will give a review after I eat them. Some of their meal replacement bars and shakes really have some nutritional numbers to them so they might be good for work if I am really busy and eat at my desk,

I don't do the meat stuff so my protein has always been the eggs, cheese, whole grains, etc. I probably am eating too much fruit (sugar) but I do enjoy the fresh summer fruits so I guess by laying off the cookies and stuff it all evens out.

As I read on another board this morning about "good and bad fruits and veggies"

As they say, "The dose makes the poison."

Who knew we would live long enough to learn that some fruits and veggies aren't really that healthy? Luckily I don't like corn anyway :roll:

Yesterday I had a bowl of cantaloupe, purple plums, nectarines - all chopped up. Lunch was sliced cucumbers and tomatoes. Dinner was a huge salad - lots of veggies along with two kinds of shredded cheese - with the usual garlic red wine vinegar dressing. Cutting back a bit on the croutons and onion crisps. But not much........

Going to boil some eggs today. Used to always have a Lock n Lock of them for my salads but have gotten out of the habit.

Getting in good exercise, going to do some weed eating today as a matter of fact and hit the exercise room this afternoon

Breakfast today was Honey Nut Cheerios, 2pct milk, small banana - sprinkled with flax seed and cinnamon.

To your health all.
Berry

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:38 pm

Morning all, Happy September. Beautiful weather here in the Ozarks.

Doing fine, kinda took a cyber break as there was a lot going on around here. Will have to go back and read some threads and see how my Nosers are doing!

Staying on track, it is routine now I suppose. Lots of healthy salads and fresh fruits, really blessed to have good friends who give us garden veggies !!

Been getting lots of outdoor exercise due to taking care of the yard. Love the nice weather.

Wishing all a healthy day, :wink:
Berry

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:51 pm

Your exercise habit is the missing piece in my vitality puzzle. It bugs me that I have in the back of my mind that I won't get more than passingly active until I retire, but not enough to actually do something about it! Most days of 14 minutes and increasing days of more walking have to be enough for now. I"m hoping the fall weather will be an incentive, though it's cool this morning and I'm not out there! I used to do workout videos more often and I enjoyed them. I still have a ton, but the habit of using them consistently hasn't stuck-- yet.

A No S-ish life is pretty much routine now, too. I think about it a lot still, I guess, because there are still other things I want to avoid thinking about! Besides, as I just put up on my thread, people of the Mediterranean think about the pleasures of eating good food, too.

Yes, you are very lucky to get those fresh veggies. I'd like to think I might be the one giving them away some day.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:11 pm

ACCCKKKK :shock:

I have gained back probably five pounds but it feels like five hundred. I feel so sluggish, like I am dragging another body around or something. Nobody's fault but my own, lots of personal things going on as my husband has been in and out of the hospital three times in the last month. Too much diet soda, vending machines, eating on the run. Not enough exercise. Pure boredom, I stay at the hospital most nights and those are LONG nights, awake until about midnight, sleep in a plastic recliner, awake again at 3 or so. Vending machines RIGHT in the waiting room !

Had a big World Series gathering last night and ate way too much. Ate a piece of cake that someone brought that I didn't even want. Just mindless grazing.

But I realize it and am going to work to change it today. I really would like to become an intuitive eater or mindful eater or whatever it is called - eating only when I really want to not when someone wants to take me down to the hospital cafeteria to make sure "I am eating enough" or when people are gathered "you really need to eat some of this" or when my husband nags me "you are going to get sick if you don't eat".

No, none of that will happen. I am a healthy, alert 65 year old who knows when they are hungry.

Sometimes it is just easier to go along, isn't it?

But today is a new day. I am so blessed that I can never get more than a few pounds away from goal before it starts driving me craaaaaaaazyzzy. And yes, oolala, exercise is my saving grace both physically and emotionally. It is a lovely Fall day today so I am going for an hour walk later on down our little country lane up to the lake. Then hit the bike and stepper tonight.

Today I shall have some of the leftover pasta from last night and a piece of garlic bread for lunch (probably do the same for work all week as I have plenty left over) and a salad for dinner.

NO potato chips and dip, chips and salsa, cookies, Three Musketeers bar, dreamsicle bars etc. which admittedly I have eaten the past couple of weeks.

Good to "see" you all.
Berry

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:40 pm

First of all, I'm sorry for your trying times! Hope your situation improves soon.

I gently suggest that for now you just worry about being a meal-eater, not an intuitive eater. Even vending machine food can be a meal, if necessary. Just get enough for a meal at once and eat it slowly. Then, no matter what, wait until the next meal time. You don't have to eat with people to take a break and visit. But you could have tea, coffee, etc.

Couldn't you at least take a break to get to the cafeteria?

You likely feel heavy more from your eating than your weight. Eating moderately and getting hungry makes me feel thin fast, even if I don't lose a pound.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

jw

Post by jw » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:03 pm

Isn't it amazing how difficult it is to get a healthy meal in a hospital? I hope things settle down for you (and your husband) soon, Berry.
"The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective." -- El Fug

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:44 pm

Thoughts are with you. I hope it's nothing serious, but regardless, it's stressful being in such a situation. I think oolala's advice was excellent. Good for you for catching a few pounds before they turn into 10 or more.

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:00 am

Thanks to you all. My husband has had multiple operations over the past five years due to a poorly read ultrasound - he was told that he was fine but actually had three blood clots and an aneurysm :( which resulted in a 12 1/2 hour emergency surgery the next morning as his leg "died", lost all blood flow. They have tried to save the leg ever since and he has battled like the warrior he is - a lifelong working cowboy.

Sadly, today we learned that they will indeed amputate his left leg on November 19th. The surgeon said they have no choice as the last surgery on his lower leg is not healing and gangrene is forming due to lack of blood flow. Luckily so sign of infection. Sepsis we do not need!

I appreciate your kind words.

I had to laugh when I was in the cafeteria, they were selling salad fixings by the quarter ounce - they weighed your goodies at check out. My dinner salad would cost about forty five dollars :roll: They have very little food other than the salad stuff that I would want to eat, sometimes the soup of the day is okay, usually not. Often I get just the sides from the dinner offerings like baked potato, green beans, etc.

Everything will be fine, I just really miss all my healthy food when I am gone. One would think that a hospital would be THE place to find some healthy food but,, uh,, not so much.
Berry

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:04 am

So sorry about your husband. Tough times. Be kind to yourself & try to take care of yourself as best you can.
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:13 pm

Oh Berry I am very sorry to hear about your husband's leg. It sounds like you've both been through a lot. To keep things in such order over incredibly hard & stressful times is admirable.

Eileen7316

Post by Eileen7316 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:27 pm

Oh, Berry! I'm so, so sorry!

My daddy was a working cowboy, too. I just sit here imagining how that kind of news would have impacted his life. It would have been extremely difficult.

(((((Hugs!))))) I will be saying a prayer for your husband, and for you, too.
Eileen

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:32 pm

Berry--you are such a strong woman. Your husband is lucky to have you.
Be well, and I commend you for taking care of yourself and encourage you to keep it up.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/18-25.6; 8/18-24.5; 10/18-23.8;
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
6/20-22.5; 7/20-23.0; 9/20-23.6
4/21 - 25.2

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:01 pm

Thank you all. My husband had his surgery a week ago. Came in by ambulance through the ER and had a below the knee amputation of the left leg. He is not doing well and they are considering a revision of the surgery, an amputation higher up the leg.

I appreciate your support. :wink:
Berry

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:13 pm

Dear Berry,

I opened your thread just to say hello, and was shocked at what you were dealing with. Since I haven't kept up, it was a major surprise.

I am so very sorry that you and your husband are in the midst of such a traumatic situation.

Sending love and support. If there is anything that an internet friend can do for you, you have only to ask.

Much love.

KCCC
Last edited by kccc on Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jw

Post by jw » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:41 pm

Healing thoughts to you and your husband, Berry.
"The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective." -- El Fug

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:15 pm

Several emails from last month got lost, so I am just catching up. Seems you are not checking in much, and I can imagine why. I affirm for you and your husband the strength you need. Hope your holidays go well.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

No BS

Post by No BS » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:30 am

Berry, kindest wishes to you and your dear cowboy.