Strawberry Roan's Check In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Strawberry Roan

Strawberry Roan's Check In

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:40 pm

Been gone a while, dealing with some personal issues - promotion at work, so exhausted at night I am asleep on the couch sometimes by seven, luckily I am still getting in all my exercise. Loving it all but it has been stressful, weight is up about ten pounds from my goal but I am re-energized and feeling good. I am lucky that I have an inner monitor that always kicks in at about ten pounds so I never get totally out of synch. That, and a wardrobe that I don't want to replace. Got those darned holidays past me now - smooth sailing to summer!

Excited about being back.

Going to read some threads and catch up with you all,

:wink:
Berry

No BS

Post by No BS » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:45 pm

Hi Strawberry Roan!

Welcome back! Your positive energy is infectious. :D

Your name invokes the famous cowboy poem of the same name!

Looking forward to following your progress & getting to "know" you through your thread. :wink:
If you are not living life on the edge you are taking up too much room!!

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:55 pm

Thank you so much. When I met my husband, he said I was as pretty as a strawberry roan. :roll: :roll: :roll: Looking forward to getting to know you as well. Reading your posts has been fascinating, I live in the Midwest so your region is literally like another world to me.

I thought I was posting my daily food journal on here, but don't see it. It is probably on somebody else's thread and they are saying,

Who cares? :shock: (sorry about that).

Breakfast was a sliced orange with about 1/2 cup of fatfree vanilla yogurt topped with a liberal sprinkling of cinnamon.

No Lunch, dinner was a slice of leftover pizza and a huge salad with the works (which I have almost every day). Just red wine vinegar for dressing (zero calories). I hate to undo a perfect salad with a "bad" dressing.

Got in my exercise - way more than I had planned.

Great day. :wink:
Berry

Kittykat150

Post by Kittykat150 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:03 pm

Hi Berry. Thanks for stopping by my daily thread. I have the same concerns as you with respect to my wardrobe. Since I have vowed not to weigh myself except for once a month, I have been a little nervous that I am secretly gaining on No- S. so I tried on some of my original goal clothes that are presently out of season. Thankfully all still fits. Can't be doing too much damage. I have my fat clothes in a bin in my basement. Don't ever want to go digging in there again. After one year of maintenance I will get rid of them...maybe....!
Have a great weekend.
Kat :wink:
"Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn." -Harriet Beecher Stowe

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:42 pm

Morning all,

Kittykat, Good to see you!! I know that many say to not weigh at all, not weigh every day, etc. but I have weighed every morning and every night since I was a teen (a very skinny teen, just a habit to weigh). It keeps me honest, although I realize that there is a LOT of fluctuation. Nobody gains five pounds in a day. 3500 calories x 5 is a lot ! However, it does show what foods retain fluid, etc. Sounds like you are doing fine using your clothes as a guide, that is really what matters. Who cares what the scale says if we can't get our slacks on?

Going to a baby shower today, a baby girl so there will be a lot of OOOhhs and AAAAhs over the little clothes. I got her the cutuest stuff, matching Carter's outfits - little printed onesies that co-ordinate with - are you ready? Yoga pants? hahah.. love it. Also got the matching socks, bibs, etc. Lots of mix and match stuff which should help when all of the laundry isn't done at once.

Won't eat breakfast, will eat there and enjoy it. :wink:
Berry

No BS

Post by No BS » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:47 pm

I weigh myself once every 21-day cycle and I am not sure I should even be doing that....... I believe the No "S" journey is more important than the destination so I am concerned my "markers" might get in the way of the trip. My clothes always tell me the true story, every day.

My niece emailed my photos of her twins, one month old now. I was grinning & laughing like a fool when I opened the photos! :D

Enjoy the baby shower. Babies are so lovely and smell divine! Except possibly when you are changing a diaper...... :wink:

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:41 pm

Happy Monday Fellow Journalers.

The shower was amazing, huge affair. Took them four hours to open their presents! I ate lots of little different things, luckily there were fresh fruit and vegetable kabobs, etc. Only had one little cupcake and a couple tiny butter cookies. All was great. Didn't eat breakfast or dinner, drank unsweeted iced tea. All in all, felt pretty good about my choices.

Breakfast today was about half a cup of fat free vanilla yogurt, with a cut up fresh orange and half a dozen cut up fresh strawberries - sprinkled with about half a cup of Kashi Go Lean (well, the Aldi's generic, which is really better in my humble opinion.) Yummy.

Ate maybe a cup or so of the Green Giants Steamers, cauliflower/broccoli/carrots in cheese sauce for lunch and some more of my morning yogurt fresh fruit mix. Both were great.

Think I will make a veggie pizza for dinner tonight, we usually have it on Fridays but got off schedule this week. I just finished up last week's leftovers on Saturday :D . We were just talking last night about how there was a time when we each could eat a whole pizza :roll: , now we can't even eat a half. Will have a large salad and eat a couple slices, I imagine.
Berry

No BS

Post by No BS » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:01 am

Sounds like you are doing really good! :D

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:55 pm

Thanks. :wink:

Ate exactly as planned yesterday and got in all my exercise.

Will probably eat almost exactly the same today as we do indeed have leftover pizza. I ate two slices so have four left. Add a huge salad and my meals are planned, my husband can fend for himself :D

Last night I gave him a bowl of fresh sliced strawberries and vanilla ice cream. He asked why I wasn't eating any and I told him that I had eaten strawberries with yogurt twice already at work. Not that crazy about ice cream anyway, unless it is a Wendy's frosty or something.

Ended up having two slcies of toasted Ezekial raisin bread with peanut butter and a can of Healthy Select vegetable noodle soup for lunch. With hot lemon green tea. Very filling. Very good.
Berry

No BS

Post by No BS » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:05 am

Strawberry Roan wrote:

Ate exactly as planned yesterday and got in all my exercise.
Life is so simple when we stick to the plan!! :D

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:09 am

So true.

(Bet you're still smiling about those twins) :wink:
Berry

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:00 pm

Happy Thursday,

Doing great, had linguini with olive oil and herbs last night, ate my yogurt/fresh strawberries/Kashi for a late breakfast and a veggie lasagna frozen meal and two pieces of garlic toast for lunch. It was all great. Got in my exercise as planned with a bit more.

My boss came back from Court and put a Diet Dr Pepper on my desk, rather than say I am laying off the stuff for a while I said thank you and drank it. It was fine, I didn't need it but it was fine. :wink: She is about the best boss in the history of the World of Bosses, so I am grateful that she thinks of me. She actually put a Diet Coke and Diet Dr Pepper on the desk and said, Pick one. She drank the other.

Off work today, ate a couple of waffles for breakfast, not sure what else is planned but it will be healthy. Had Cheerios with 2pct milk and fresh strawberries for lunch with a handful of animal crackers and hot lemon tea with probiotics. :D Thought we would use up the milk in case we lose power in the bad weather. Will have a couple flour taquitos and mozzarella sticks (both baked in the oven) for dinner. With a salad, of course.

Got in all my planned exercise, love exercise !!! Even went for a walk in the icy and snow, so pretty outside.
Berry

No BS

Post by No BS » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:44 am

Good growlies (food), good exercise AND a great boss!! :shock:

Can life get better than that???? :D

Jonas Jonasson

Post by Jonas Jonasson » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:32 am

Thank you for stopping by my thread and the lovely poem!
Disclaimer (still applicable):
If a person is fairly new to English their English words and expressions are influenced by their mother tongue, so things that might sound impolite to you are not always meant in that way.

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:34 am

You are quite welcome.

Happy Friday All,

Had two scrambled eggs and two slices toast w/margarine and homemade grape jelly for breakfast. With hot lemon tea and coffee. Had Cheerios and the end of the strawberries for lunch, had a big salad and a few fried potato slices for dinner (made the hubby chicken fried steak and fried potatoes, they were yummy). Got in my exercise and three times the Ab Coaster reps today.

I can feel hard abs resting comfortably under soft flab. :D

Ended up having a vanilla/orange soda float during Blue Bloods. A Dreamsicle float, it was heavenly.

For the record, I don't really do No S. I do love the boards, however. I did NO S religiously when I first started and my weight plummeted to 132. Way too thin!.. I purposely gained back to 145 which is my ideal weight and maintained that pretty well, I have a few more post holiday pounds to lose but they are coming off.

So now I just try to eat pretty clean 7 days a week and have a treat or snack when I want to. Which isn't very often. I never eat seconds, never have.
Berry

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:57 pm

Hey Strawberry! I think the beauty of No S is that we are able to tailor it to our individual needs and ability levels. I very much do what you do! It works better for me not to have days off. However, I still do struggle with emotional eating, but no plan in the world will help that, it's a mind game.

No BS

Post by No BS » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:23 pm

OMG, Strawberry Roan, I absolutely collapsed in laughter with your "for the record" comment. :lol:

Good on you for adding to the camaraderie of this BB and role modeling healthy eating behaviors! :wink:

I am holding onto the idea there is a possibility I may lose TOO MUCH weight on No "S". What an intriguing concept. :shock:

Thanks so very very much for sharing that fascinating (but sadly unlikely in my case) insight! :D

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:14 pm

Hi Sinnie and No BS. Always good to have company stop by.

And Happy Saturday All.

I think my problem before was I was so into the three meals, nothing else that I wasn't eating enough at my meals and I couldn't see eating any differently on the weekends, I never grasped that part of this program. So, without snacks or sweets the weight fell off. Now I try to eat enough, the only time I gain weight is when I do add the snacks and sweets (thus the ten pounds from Nov-Feb. However, it never bothers me as I know how to get it off now.)

Duh, watch the snacks and sweets. I think, as a culture, we have been ingrained that "healthy" snacks are good for us. We need them, every few minutes, or something dire will happen - thus our kids are raised to carry around a bag of goldfish crackers, a cereal bar and a sippie cup of juice from the time they can grasp the items in their chubby little paws. Only to be replaced with 32 oz. sodas, two hot dogs and a bag of chips from the QuickTrip, even if not thirsty or hungry at all. Just because we have had something in our hands to eat since we were a year old. We have mothers at church who bring one of the gallon size Ziplog bags filled with goodies for their little ones - for the one hour they will need to be entertained during service.

Can you imagine a new vehicle without holders to put drinks in it today?

What amazes me is how many snacks I don't eat when I am watching it.

It truly is habit and truly is a mind game.

I think I am going to make my husband sausage and biscuits for breakfast and I will make gravy as well. Thus I can have biscuits and gravy (I rarely ever eat meat). Probably will be breakfast and lunch as I haven't even started it and it is already after ten. We never eat early on the days I am off work (he eats out on the days I do work).

Had my biscuits and gravy (two biscuits) as well as one biscuit with margarine (I hate real butter) and homemade jelly. Had an orange while the biscuits were in the oven. Filled me up, tasted great and was such comfort food on a cold, snowy, icy winter day. Fire in the fireplace added to the comfort factor.

Won't eat anything else until dinner. Will have a salad and something else.
Berry

No BS

Post by No BS » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:51 am

Totally agree with your most excellent analysis of snacks & the propaganda surrounding snacking.

How was the biscuits & gravy?!?!!!! :D I like to think I am a good cook but I cannot master biscuits. :(

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:12 pm

The biscuits and gravy were greeeaaatttttt.. (They make excellent frozen biscuits that you just put in the oven for twenty minutes or so, that way if you only want two or three, no need to make a whole batch. Not sure if you could get them or not where you are). They are better than my homemade ones, for sure. :D

Had spaghetti last night, didn't have my salad as I put fresh salsa in my spaghetti instead of sauce. Used tomatoes, onions, peppers, cucumbers, etc. Very good. Ate two pieces of garlic bread as well. Love my carbs :roll:

Made big homemade blueberry muffins for breakfast, ate one - could have eaten two or three but didn't. Might have one tonight for "dessert" while watching tv or something.
Berry

Kittykat150

Post by Kittykat150 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:00 am

Berry,
I am starting to feel the way you do/did about the snacks and sweets on weekends. I feel on Sunday nights the way I used to feel the Sunday night before a new diet. An urgency to get extra food in that will be outlawed on Monday. What's happening is that the extra food I am getting in, the cookies or chocolate, are not nearly as enjoyable as I used to believe.
I think that is a very good sign from my body. I appreciated reading your post on this.
Thank you.
Kat
"Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn." -Harriet Beecher Stowe

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:03 am

What you write about the snacks is so true! Totally habit and totally not needed!

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:25 pm

Thanks Kat and Amy. It does seem crazy that people are attached to food and drink non stop, doesn't it? I think it might be the security blanket of this millineum.

Morning fellow Nosers :D

Back at work, had a fresh orange cut into chunks, topped with fatfree vanilla yogurt and sprinkled with Kashi go lean. It was crisp and cool and crunchy. Drinking hot lemon probiotitc tea.

Had my huge salad for dinner last night. (My huge salad is a meal, with cheese and boiled egg and various greens - always baby spinach leaves, tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, green onions, olives, croutons, lemon pepper onion crisps, etc. Topped with just some sort of vinegar - no salad dressing ever). Couldn't even eat it all. Had planned to eat a leftover biscuit and some of the oven crisped potatoes that I made my husband to go with his honey glazed pork chops. But I didn't. I did save them, might add them to the leftover biscuits and gravy that I saved for dinner one night. I love leftovers.

Will have a healthy soup or Healthy Choice/Smart Ones, etc. meal for lunch. The pantry and work freezer stay stocked by the boss.

The only snacks I ate over the weekend were air popped popcorn (actually a microwave bowl thingy from WalMart, no oil at all.) Sprayed it with butter Pam and lots of salt. Luckily I am ordered to eat extra salt due to hypotension so that's great! Also had porkrinds and salsa yesterday at lunch time. Got started on the porkrinds when I did Atkins years ago as they are carb free.
Berry

SpiritSong

Post by SpiritSong » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:22 pm

Stopping by to say hello! I re-started February 1st, and snacks definitely seem to have been my main problem. I agree with you about kids these days. I don't know if people really think the kids need all that food, or it is just nice to keep them quiet by giving them some goldfish. I do the same with my dog by giving her a bone sometimes, but luckily not too much. She is a thin dog. :)

I was excited to see that you got under goal weight with No S, but reading what you eat on a daily basis, I don't think that will be a problem for me. :shock: :lol: I better plan on 155 with what I like to eat.

MJ7910

Post by MJ7910 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:33 pm

our society in the US is all about "here, have this food" for whatever celebration. or even just if the food is there. it's kind of strange as others have observed while visiting. we are "food pushers"

that is great that you can do so well on sdays with minimal snacks. for me it's all about the sweets. i'm working on it slowly. if i can stick with nday structure i feel happy about that on sdays. trying to not overdo it is the hard part for me. i truly can't trust my appetite or "hunger cues". wish i could.
Current BMI: 22.9. Height: 5'4.5"
Highest BMI: 25.5 in August 2011.
Lowest adult BMI: 20.8 in February 2012.

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:48 am

Hi MJ, true, we are all about the food. We were joking about that at a baby shower last week. People say, Come over for dinner we are having a huge pork roast, come over to bbq, we are having a big rack of ribs, come over for Thanksgiving, we have a 23 lb turkey. Nobody ever says, Come on by and we will sit on the porch and visit. Without mentioning the food.

I don't really have much of a sweet tooth, as far as candy, etc. goes. I still have two boxes of Valentines Day candy barely touched. I do like homemade goodies like muffins, pumpkin bread, lemon pound cake etc. But nothing with much iciing or anything.

Speaking of food :D for lunch I had a Lean Cuisine meal of some sort, forgot what it was some rice dish with sweet and sour sauce and pineapple chunks. Also ate a Steamables (Green Giant) that was broccoli, cauliflower, carrots in cheese sauce - the whole bag was 145 calories. Lots of veggies, very filling.

THEN I had my giant dinner salad with about ten more veggies.

:roll:
Berry

No BS

Post by No BS » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:50 am

OMG, Berry! I am absolutely salivating at your dinner salad!!

It sounds so tasty! When I go down south again I am going to live off of greens. :lol:

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:33 pm

Morning all,

Oh yeah, I love my salads. I usually toss in some kind of fruit as well like mandarin oranges or blueberries or cranberries, I told my husband that I would like my last meal to be a giant salad.

Of course, it spoils me for eating any salad when we are out as they are just so, well, ordinary :roll:

He always asks me if I can make him, just a regular sized salad not one on a platter? :D

Off work today, snow day. Had a leftover muffin and hot lemon water for breakfast after two cups of hot coffee. Already got in some exercise.

Late lunch of leftover biscuit and gravy and oven fried potatoes.

Got in extra exercise as I have lots of time with my bonus day off. Got all the work around here done on the weekend. :wink:

Giant salad for dinner.
Berry

No BS

Post by No BS » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:33 am

Aren't days off due to weather just a perfect bonus?? I hope you had a blast with your day. :D

Sometimes the winds are so high here that everything shuts down and we cannot get to work. My house just rocks & rolls in the wind and me & my dogs hunker down until it is calm. I have 2 45-gallon drums weighted with cement anchoring each corner of the house with steel cables crisscrossing over the roof of the house to hold it down so it doesn't blow away. The winds can get that high. (+100 kmh)

I love storm days as long as the power doesn't go down & everyone is safe.

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:51 am

Good grief, I cannot imagine. I am still traumatized over the Little House on the Prairie book where the girls were out in the howling blizzard picking up straw that wagons had dropped for fuel for the cabin :shock:

Back at work today and my desk was piled high (the boss didn't stay home yesterday it seems).

Got all caught up and am off until Monday. Rough schedule.....

Ate my fat free yogurt, chopped up fresh orange and Kashi for breakfast, had a Lean Cuisine veggie egg roll and rice with orange sauce or some such nonsense for lunch. It was fine. Not great, just fine.

Had my huge salad for dinner (my husband had salmon patties and fresh coleslaw - fresh from the deli) :roll:

Had my exercise. Had a great day. Eating right with no junk feels so good.

To your health all,
Berry

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:46 am

Strawberry Roan wrote:Eating right with no junk feels so good.
I agree 100%!!! :D Here's to many more great days!

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:36 pm

Thanks Amy :wink: Good to see you.

Happy Thursday All,

Had my breakfast, one normal sized pancake with a dab of margarine and a bit of syrup. It was fine. Would have eaten something else probably but was making them for the hubby (he had three and three slices of bacon) Yes, he is tall and thin. :roll:

I can just feel that I am going to have a great day. I am going to MAKE it a great day, that's why!

And I DID have a great day. Got in twice as much exercise as I normally do, ate my huge salad for lunch (with cranberries all over the top), had a big plate of leftover spaghetti with homemade salsa for the sauce, fresh herbs, grated cheese and two pieces of garlic bread. Loved it all.

Still have more spaghetti (I always make a lot as I love leftovers). Will probably eat some for lunch tomorrow.
Berry

No BS

Post by No BS » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:47 am

You go, girl! You are always very upbeat & positive! :D

I enjoy reading your thread!

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:26 am

Glad to hear your day did go so well! Hope you have a perfectly enjoyable Friday too! :D

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:49 pm

Thank you both.

Happy Friday to my fellow journalers.

For breakfast I had a homemade blueberry muffin crumbled into fatfree vanilla yogurt with half a sliced banana (my husband had the other half because he eats Cheerios with half a banana, no more no less - I always get the extra.) :roll:

Already got in some exercise, will get in a lot more before the day is done.

Did get in more exercise, wasn't hungry for lunch so I ate a Sunbelt chocolate coconut granola bar and drank a hot cup of coffee. Yummy and filling.

Ate my prerequisite giant salad for dinner with two slices of pizza topped with green pepper slices, onion slices, black olives and cheese. Enjoyed every bite of all of it. I love the taste of grilled peppers and onions.

To your health all, on to Saturday.
Berry

No BS

Post by No BS » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:39 pm

Have a great weekend, Berry! :D

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:49 pm

Thank you very much !

Today is my birthday :P

I will be having homemade cheesecake with peanut butter mousse topping later.

Had homemade biscuits, veggie sausage and scrambled eggs for breakfast/brunch. yummy.

We are staying home today as the ground outside is still covered with ice and snow. Will go out to eat and celebrate my "big day" in a week or so.

Grateful to be alive, thankful to be 64 surrounded by a loving husband and family, dear friends (you on this board among them) and looking forward to the future.
Berry

No BS

Post by No BS » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:35 pm

Happy birthday, Berry! Sounds like you are having a wonderful day! :D

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:24 am

Happy Birthday, Berry! Hope you had a lovely day! :D

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:58 pm

Thank you both. I did have a perfectly wonderful day. Good times with family, they ate shrimp and coleslaw and fries and I ate leftover spaghetti. They just roll their eyes at me :roll: We all loved the cheesecake. I managed to get in all my exercise before they came so that's good. I HATE to miss exercising.

Happy Sunday! No breakfast, after church we both ate a veggieburger (cooked nice and crispy in a little olive oil and topped with cheese, tomato, lettuce, onion, pickles and mustard) and a cup of hot tomato soup for lunch with a thin slice of cheesecake and a nice glass of ice cold milk. We both enjoyed it all.

Will have salad and probably the very end of the spaghetti with fresh salsa for dinner-it will be alllllllllll gone.

:( . I will miss it.....

To your health all.

YAY, the spaghetti lived to fight another day. Well, until tomorrow when it will become lunch. I wasn't hungry for it after I ate my salad. Probably because I had eaten some pork rinds and drank some of the new 10 calorie RC earlier in the afternoon. (It was pretty good, by the way). I eat so few "snacks" it really filled me up.
Berry

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:36 am

Happy Monday All.

Had a great day, ate Honey Nut Cheerios with 2pct milk and a banana for breakfast, my leftover spaghetti for lunch with one of those half rounds of bread thingys, toasted with butter and garlic salt.

Had my huge salad for dinner and a small bowl of ham and beans with fresh from the oven homemade cornbread. I LOVE cornbread! And yes, I might be the most boring eater on the face of the planet. Lots of water and green tea.

No seal meat here, haha...

Got in my exercise after work although I was very, very tired. Feel better now, of course, as exercise always energizes me.
Berry

No BS

Post by No BS » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:44 am

Strawberry Roan wrote: No seal meat here, haha...
I suppose not, eh! :lol: Your meals all sound tasty & nutritious - particularly your mouth watering salads !! I'll swap you some seal meat for some greens!! :wink:

You are so right about exercise energizing a body! Plus I find it cuts my appetite, too. Which is a hilarious bonus & an amazing discovery for me! :wink:

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:52 am

I feel the same way you do about exercise...and cornbread - LOL! :lol:

SpiritSong

Post by SpiritSong » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:35 pm

Another cornbread lover here, but I never have it nice and fresh out of the oven. :( DH doesn't eat it, so it would just go to waste at home. I have it whenever I can in a restaurant (especially that sweet cornbread in Mexican places!).

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:35 am

So good to see you all !!! NO BS, my husband is pretty adventurous - he would try to seal meat for sure. Me, not so much...........

Same thing happened tonight with exercise, I almost fell asleep on the couch watching the 5:30 news, I was sooooooooo tired after work. BUT, I got up and went to the exercise room and hopped on the bike - listening to Mark Levin on the radio. Soon a half hour had passed, I then did the glider for about 15 mins and then did the Ab Coaster. Now I am rearin' to go.

AND having another huge, beautiful salad. All the colors - the spring greens of the lettuces, the dark green spinach, the red/green/yellow pepper strips, the bright red tomatoes, the black olives, the orange carrots, the purple cabbage shreds. The cranberry colored cranberries. hahah.. I just love it all. Topped with croutons, lemon pepper onion crisps and cider vinegar tonight.

Making my husband some taquiitos and mini tacos with a few mozzarella sticks (all baked in the oven.) Will taste a couple of those as well.

Had fat free vanilla yogurt, chopped up fresh peach and Kashi for breakfast with hot Lemon Zinger tea. Had a Progresso light Southwestern vegetable soup for lunch with sour cream and chive crackers.

Another great day, looking forward to tomorrow.

(And I say make cornbread for yourself and enjoy it. ) It is good leftover with soup or well anything :D
Last edited by Strawberry Roan on Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Berry

No BS

Post by No BS » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:38 am

Strawberry Roan wrote: AND having another huge, beautiful salad. All the colors - the spring greens of the lettuces, the dark green spinach, the red/green/yellow pepper strips, the bright red tomatoes, the black olives, the orange carrots, the purple cabbage shreds. I just love it all. Topped with croutons, lemon pepper onion crisps and cider vinegar tonight.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGHHHHHHHHH!!

:lol: Sounds fabulous! :wink:

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:06 am

:D Can you believe I read somewhere that someone said they had NEVER eaten a salad. No medical issues or anything, they just didn't like them

Blasphemy, I tell ya 8)
Berry

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:05 am

Very hard to believe! I don't eat a beautiful composed salad every day like you, but I do enjoy them very much, and I make sure we have at least one raw veggie with dinner every day - sliced tomatoes or grated carrots for example.

SpiritSong

Post by SpiritSong » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:14 pm

Strawberry, I am coming over to eat at your house! I want a big salad, cornbread, tacquitos, and mini tacos (although I don't eat beef, so please put ground turkey in mine).

I may have to stay for a couple of meals. That seems a bit too much to put on one plate. :D

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:28 am

Come on over! Would love to meet you all. We will make it a couple of meals. (or a really big plate).. haha

Happy Wednesday, by the way. :wink:

Was so busy at work, I didn't eat a bite until 1:00. Then I ate my breakfast yogurt, fresh orange chunks and Kashi. Drank some tea off and on during the day.

Exercised.

Now I am eating my composed salad, what a beautiful thought. Thank you.
Tonight I left off the cheese and chopped boiled egg and added grilled chicken strips for protein. (Being I made grilled chicken and cole slaw for my husband.) I made plenty so I imagine the chicken will appear several times the next few days.

Bought two big bags of oranges at the store after work. Will take one bag to work when I go back. Also got some beautiful lettuce and some actually decent tasting roma tomatoes. And some yummy garlic/cheese croutons.

Another great day, hope the same for all of you.

To your health,
Berry

No BS

Post by No BS » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:44 am

Scrumptious menu and terrific planning, Berry! :wink:

Aren't the oranges at this time of year fabulous!

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:34 pm

Morning All, Happy Thursday.

Yes, the oranges really are good. I got 3pounds bags for $1.68, gotta love it.

Just had breakfast, okay let's make it brunch as it is 11:30. Honey Nut Cheerios with 2pct milk and half a banana. It was fine.

Already got in my exercise for the day but will do it again tonight, I always try to do more when I am off work. Did 200 Ab Coaster Plus crunches already 8)

Ate popcorn (no oil) and an orange at about 3:00,

Probably won't eat until dinner, think we will have the leftover beans and cornbread. And, well yes, salad. All healthy foods and yummy foods.

Still have the cheesecake from my birthday in the fridge, will probably throw it out.

Note, Signed up for a course through Vanderbilt University on Health and Nutrition (online classes). Starts in a few weeks, should be informative and interesting.
Berry

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:55 pm

Happy Friday,

Just ate breakfast/lunch. It is almost noon :roll:

Made my husband waffles and bacon, I ate broccoli which had been sprayed with butter spray and crisped under the broiler along with a giant "garden fresh" tomato as they say. Half a plate full of broccoli and half a plate full of tomato. The broccoli was scrumptious, the tomato was surprisingly good. (My husband was jealous, said mine looked better than his) :roll:

So I gave him a couple of bites.

Already got in some exercise - some aerobics and 100 Ab Coaster crunches, will do lots more.

Did lots more, 200 Ab crunches all together, plus the bike and glider.

Dinner is pizza (our usual Friday night fare), two slices topped with lots of onion slices, olives and green peppers. And, of course, my huge salad 8)

Another wonderful day, to your health all.
Berry

No BS

Post by No BS » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:36 am

Cheers, Berry!! Have a great weekend!! :wink:

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:11 pm

Thanks. You too!

Happy Saturday all. 10:00 here, just ate an orange sprinkled with a lot of cinnamon, half a biscuit with a dab of butter and homemade jelly and am drinking a hot cup of green tea.

Did 200 Ab Coasters, half an hour on the bike and glider.

Will do the same this afternoon.

Think I will eat the end of the beans and cornbread sometime today (late lunch or for dinner.)

Did get in the extra exercise, didn't eat the beans and cornbread. Ate my salad and that was enough. They will probably be tomorrow's lunch.

Went out for a while today, had company for a while, another great day.

To your health all, :wink:
Berry

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:24 pm

Happy Sunday All ! Great day so far, church and fellowship with friends.

Came home and ate the end of the beans and cornbread. Also had an orange. Then I hit the exercise room for Session One. About to repeat it all again. I love having time on my off days to double up on the exercise. :wink:

Will have salad for dinner with some of the grilled chicken strips.

Drinking lots of water and green tea.
Berry

Liz46

Post by Liz46 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:26 pm

Wow! You are doing great! The beans and cornbread sound so good. That's one of our favorite meals. WTG with the exercise!
Restart Date: 10/31/13
Starting Weight: 226

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:02 pm

Liz46 wrote:Wow! You are doing great! The beans and cornbread sound so good. That's one of our favorite meals. WTG with the exercise!

Thanks Liz. :wink:

Dinner will be as planned with the added bonus of steamed fresh cauliflower. Drizzled with melted cheddar cheese and fresh Italian herbs.
Berry

Liz46

Post by Liz46 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:14 pm

Anything with cheese sounds heavenly! ;)

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:09 am

Boy, ain't that the truth :D

Have you ever just put shredded cheese in a non stick skillet and let it melt into a big ole crisp then flip it over and crisp the other side? Yummy, but one can really see the "fat" in it :roll:

But, who the heck cares - it is a crunchy cheesy crispy delight!

Happy Monday All !

Back to work, won't get to exercise as much but that's okay. I do love my job.

Will have vanilla yogurt with strawberries and Honey Nut Cheerios stirred in for breakfast, chicken strips with bbq sauce for dipping and an orange for lunch. That is my plan and I am stickin' to it.
Berry

Liz46

Post by Liz46 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:38 am

LOL Yes I have done that..back when I was doing induction on Atkins. I will never torture myself that way again! The Atkins, I mean...the crunchy cheese treat, I still love! ;-)

SpiritSong

Post by SpiritSong » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:06 pm

Oh my goodness, if I want melted cheese, I always find something I can put it on. I suppose this just adds carbs, but I don't think I could let myself get away with just eating plain melted cheese. I have to pretend it is a meal, you know? :D

Liz46

Post by Liz46 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:22 pm

lol I hear you, SpiritSong. I'd have never thought to do that if I weren't doing low carb at the time, but oh wow..when you get it nice and brown and crispy around the edges, so good! :D

SpiritSong

Post by SpiritSong » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:32 pm

Decadent! That's the word I was trying to think of. Eating plain melted cheese is decadent! :D

Liz46

Post by Liz46 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:08 pm

A big Yes to that! :D

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:53 am

Now I am craving cheese crisps :roll:

I used to make them and then while they were hot, roll them around a wooden spoon handle like little straws, for appetizers. Everybody loves them. They stay crisp not that it matters, they are eaten immediately.

But then, what's not to love? :D

Ate exactly as planned today except I didn't have my orange for lunch so I put it in my salad at dinner. Got in my exercise as well. I love when I have a plan ahead of time, I just stick to it and then that's it. Much like when my dad took his lunch to work, he ate it and that was it until he came home. No rummaging around the train for food (he was a railroad engineer).

CRAZY DAY at work, glad to be home, going to watch Dallas and then have a hot bubble bath.

To your health all,
Berry

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:48 am

Happy Tuesday All, another day almost gone. Seems like everybody is using their income tax refunds to get a divorce :shock: . (I work for a law firm). Busy, busy, busy.

Ate Honey Nut Cheerios with sliced peaches for breakfast with green tea. Ate the end of the grilled chicken strips (3) for lunch with bbq sauce. Had my salad for dinner with a bean, cheese and green chili burrito topped with salsa and sour cream. I made us each two but I only wanted one, didn't want any of the Taco rice - will take the leftover burrito and a little rice to work for lunch tomorrow.

Got in my exercise, now I am getting in my jammies

:D

To your health all,
Berry

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:47 pm

Happy Wednesday!

Had an orange and hot lemon probiotic tea for breakfast (about ten o'clock) and just had lunch, my leftover burrito and rice. I had salsa and sour cream at work so it was great!

Exercised after work, ate a giant salad for dinner, time to rest.

To your health, all
Berry

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:45 pm

Happy Friday, seems like I missed all of yesterday. Spent the day and night with the husband who was in the ER (vascular issues). He is home now, they are scheduling a procedure in a week or so to help alleviate some of his pain - they are trying to avoid amputation of his left leg.

All I ate yesterday was Wendy's chili and a grilled cheese at midnight. NO SALAD !!!! What blasphemy.

But, I did spend about $250 on good food yesterday so I will be eating well today! You wouldn't believe how many beautiful fresh fruits and vegetables I got.... :wink:

Right now I am having Honey Nut Cheerios sprinkled with flax seeds (gonna start using those now, I did for years but forgot to buy more I guess). 2pct milk and half a banana. Yummy.
Last edited by Strawberry Roan on Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Berry

Liz46

Post by Liz46 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:50 pm

Sorry to hear about your husbands health problems Strawberry. I hope his procedure goes well and he's in good health soon!

WTG on purchasing the fresh fruits and veggies! That seems to be the hardest thing for us, but we're getting there slowly!

Enjoy your NS day! :D

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:06 pm

Thank you so much. My husband is a working cowboy, we own a horse ranch, so being in such pain is really hard on him. He WANTS to do it all and hates to have help. He is a stubborn one, but has such beautiful blue eyes, I tolerate him 8)
Berry

Liz46

Post by Liz46 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:42 pm

LOL I understand! :D

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:07 pm

8)

Had a bowl of the freshest, crispest, sweet yet tart, seedless green grapes for lunch.

Made myself a small, yes truly a very small, salad about 3 as I was a bit queasy, probably nerves from yesterday/last night. Topped it with my new white rice garlic infused vinegar which was very good.

Ended up having company come by to check on the husband so I made some mostaccolli and garlic bread which would have been perfect with a giant salad but they didn't want a salad. That's crazy talk. :roll: I think they just didn't want me to drag out my six kinds of Artisan lettuce, spinach leaves and twenty different fruit and vegetables and start to compose a salad. They wanted to eat :D

That's okay, guess my lunch salad was meant to be.

Off to exercise,

To your health all.
Last edited by Strawberry Roan on Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Berry

No BS

Post by No BS » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:33 am

Hi Berry:

Sorry to hear about your husband's health issues. It must be a worry. I hope he is "right as rain" soon. Cowboys can get so cranky if they are laid up for long (long being anything more than an hour!!). :wink:

I grew up on horseback. Used to ride & train colts, team rope (for arena "fun" and in the pasture to treat cattle) & rodeo too. Also used to gallop running quarterhorses for a trainer friend of mine. Sometimes that feels like another lifetime ago. There isn't any horses, cattle, pasture, or even trees here. :wink: Now, when I go south, I ride my brother's horses. He too is a working cowboy.

All the best to you & your husband. :D

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:53 am

Thank you so very much No BS. My husband and his daughter were team ropers for many years, until he introduced her to a good looking cowboy at a rodeo one night. :roll:

Now she is happily married with two kids and rides for pleasure when she has the time.

Horses are truly magical, aren't they? We raise Registered Quarter Horses, mainly the Skipper W line. From Wiki -

Skipper W (1945–1963) was an American Quarter Horse and a famous breeding stallion. Despite not being shown in many horse shows, he went on to become the senior stallion of his breeder's reproductive program. Although he sired only 132 offspring, the products of his breeder's program are still often known as "Skipper W" horses. He was inducted into the American Quarter Horse Hall of Fame in 2011.

Had a great day, good company, good food, good times. Even had an ice cream float a bit earlier. Vanilla ice cream and diet RC cola (the new 10 calorie kind, it is really pretty good).

To your health all,
Berry

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:24 pm

Happy Saturday All !!

Lots to do around here,

Had HoneyNut Cheerios, 2pct milk and half a banana plus flax seeds for breakfast. Off to exercise, want to get in double today being I am off work.

Did indeed get in a double dose of exercise, that felt great. Just had two big glasses of water and a bowl of red and green seedless grapes. The red were small and a bit sweet, the green were HUGE and a bit tart, a perfect combo and such a pretty lunch!

Dinner is two pieces of Red Baron Thin Crust Fire Baked Pepperoni Pizza (with extra red/green/yellow peppers/ onions and olives. Along with my big salad, tonight featuring spinach leaves, curly red lettuce, grape tomatoes, cranberries, garlic cheese Texas Croutons, lemon pepper onion crisps, real bacon bits and a healthy splash of Pomegrante vinegar. Heaven. 8)
Berry

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:09 pm

Happy Sunday All,

Didn't get to go to church due to my husband still recovering so I have been thrown off a bit.

Just made breakfast/lunch (it is noon). I made him pancakes and bacon, I made me grilled California blend vegetables (frozen mix but I didn't microwave them, I cooked them (butter sprayed the pan) until slightly charred and crisp in a grill pan). There were red potato slices in their skin, red pepper strips, yellow pepper big pieces, zucchini slices and onion strips. The bag said serves 4, 45 calories per serving. I ate it all :D

A side note (as I have been reading the LiveStrong website about supplements), I have not taken a prescription medication in forty years (since I had my last child, a C Section so I suppose there were some pain pills, maybe not I really don't remember). I do take a daily women's Centrum multi-vitamin, an EyeCap for vision health, two 1290 fishoil caps a day, a low dose aspirin nightly, and a Bcomplex pill. Have recently added flax seed back into my routine, have done so for years but ran out and never remembered to buy it.

Tonight's salad had avacado slices (so creamy and buttery), chopped up boiled egg, green grapes and cucumber along with other goodies. And the flax seed! I am taking some to work tomorrow as well.

Was going to eat some of the leftover mostaccolli or however it is spelled (to be referred to in the future as pasta, it will show up a few times this week). Will take some for lunch tomorrow, that will be yummy.

Got in LOTS of exercise today, felt so good. Don't get to do as much M-W when I work so I enjoy this extra time.

Another great day,

To your health all
Berry

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:15 pm

Happy Monday! I feel great today, finally wore a pretty brown heathered v-neck pullover sweater to work that I had tried on several times but each time I could see a tiny bit of roll around the middle. That won't do :roll: .

Well, today, for fun I put it on again as I was planning to wear a pair of brown dress slacks. It fit perfectly! Yay me. I wanted to wear it with a pretty turquoise multi-disc choker necklace I got for my birthday, it lays perfectly in the v-neck.

Had lowfat vanilla yogurt with a handful of HoneyNut Cheerios and a cut up fresh orange - all sprinkled with flax seed - for breakfast about ten. It was very good, and very filling. Drinking some hot Bigelow Lemon Lift tea. I feel very lifted. :D
Berry

No BS

Post by No BS » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:19 am

Strawberry Roan wrote: I feel very lifted. :D
:lol: So do I when I read your posts, brimming with good cheer & positive energy.

Congrats on the wardrobe boost - sweaters always tell the truth! :D

I had to smile over your comment about horses being magical. They sure are. Pure magic. Pure pleasure. :wink:

And I suspect your excellent taste in well-bred horses is only exceeded by your taste in a blue-eyed cowboy/husband !! :lol:

Have a great week, Berry!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:33 am

Hope your husband is on the mend.

Keep up the good work!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:55 pm

Thank you so much No BS, wishing you a wonderful week as well.

Always good to see you Oolala, your sane and sensible words have benefited not only me, but many others on this board. Thank you for your kind wishes for my husband and for your continued encouragement to me.

And Happy Tuesday to all my fellow journalers (Or NCIS day as I liked to call it) 8)

Didn't feel like breakfast so am eating lunch and breakfast now. Had one of those new Special K flatbread breakfast sandwiches, the egg and pepperjack cheese one, it was actually very good. The egg had tomato and green pepper pieces in it. Now I am having my lowfat yogurt with cut up fresh orange and flax seed.

Dinner was my mega salad with avocado slices, along with a nice crispy veggie egg roll and two mozzarella sticks (made in the oven).

I got in my exercise, loved my food and am now watching NICS and drinking ice water. Life is good.

:wink:
Berry

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:18 am

Happy Wednesday All.

What a busy, crazy, wacky day I had. Didn't eat a bite until about 3:00, then scarfed down one of the Special K flatbread thingies.

Ate my salad for supper but was almost too tired to even do that. Was going to make either a veggie burger or a big, fat, hot buttered sweet potato as well but didn't have the appetite or strength. I need a hot bath, some tv and bed :roll:

Luckily, I love, love, love my job. And I am now off for four days to regenerate. That's why they work me so hard when I am there (or so they say).

To your health all.
Berry

No BS

Post by No BS » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:04 am

Strawberry Roan wrote: And I am now off for four days to regenerate.
Enjoy! :D

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:25 am

Trying to imagine what it would be like to love a job... or not eat until 3 p.m.

Keep it up!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:24 pm

Oolala - me too! ;)

Great meals Berry!

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:28 pm

Thanks guys, I know how lucky I am to love my job (and my bosses, and my co-workers). We have a wonderful time. My bosses tell me all the time that they want a happy family and will do their part to keep it so.

And, they hate it if I don't do lunch but I had a big project that I wanted to finish yesterday. I clicked print and Save As at 4:58 yesterday right before I logged off for the night. Whew :roll: :roll: :roll:

Didn't eat breakfast today as I was going to a committee meeting for a group I volunteer with (the reason I only work part time) where there is always a lot of food. So, yes, I ate a lot of food! It is at a community center where they have real cooks and serve read food. I ate ham and beans with cornbread (and you know how much I love that), a little side dish of steamed spinach, some fruit salad, a small dinner salad - well small by my standards, I took my own little vial of pomegranate vinegar) Also had to sample a homemade dinner roll with my salad, heavenly. I really don't like eating a lot of food but at this monthly meeting I seem to manage to. Won't be eating much for dinner. Maybe I will downsize my salad :D But just a little.
Berry

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:47 pm

I would definitely take advantage of such a menu. And no dishes to wash!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:07 am

I hear ya, oolala :D

So, here's the deal. I was going to just make a small salad,

I started with some fresh flat spinach leaves, some curly endive, some red leaf lettuce, added half a cucumber, a handful of red seedless grapes, a cut up navel orange, a half dozen cherry tomatoes, some garlic cheese croutons, some lemon pepper onion crisps, some bacon bits, some grated cheddar cheese and some flax seed - topped with with rice wine garlic vinegar - I have a platter of salad !!!!

:roll:

Good news is I got in twice my ab work today (I think 100 ab crunches is almost a homemade dinner roll,

almost.

To your health all,
Berry

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:48 am

I don't think it burns that many calories, but your muscles can pull it all in.

I think it's how a roll becomes a pretzel. It's its abdominal contraction. :oops:
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:22 pm

:D
Berry

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:54 pm

Happy Friday All !

Almost noon, we are eating breakfast/lunch. I made my husband sausage/egg/fried potatoes (I only make breakfasts on my days off - usually one "big" breakfast a week). I only wanted the fried potatoes so am eating a serving of those liberally sprinkled with flax seeds - along with a segmented orange liberally sprinkled with cinnamon.

And drinking hot coffee with french vanilla creamer :wink:
Berry

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:00 pm

I grind my flaxseeds, keeping just a few servings in the freezer. Do you?
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:27 pm

I have, but currently am using ground flaxseed (keeping it in the fridge). The container doesn't last too long as I divide it and take half to work (my boss eats it on her cottage cheese every day). If I didn't use it a lot, I would grind it fresh.
Berry

No BS

Post by No BS » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:14 pm

Happy Friday to you, Berry! :D

Nothing beats a leisurely breakfast fry-up! I particularly enjoy breakfast spuds fried in duck fat. My version of decadence!!

Hope you & the cowboy have a great weekend!! :D

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:48 pm

OMgosh, everyone else probably knows this, but where in heaven's name do you get duck fat? and please don't be like my high school student who would say, "From a fat duck." :lol:
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:40 pm

As I sit here munching on my big salad and my two small slices of pizza piled high with more veggies, I must also ask,

Where does one get duck fat?

And why? :roll:
Berry

No BS

Post by No BS » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:19 am

Too funny, both of you!! :lol:

The French (of course!!) know almost everything there is to know about good cooking (of course!!) and often use duck fat (of course!!) for frying stuff. Canada is blessed with a large French population in Quebec and they use duck fat in cooking so it is readily available in Quebec grocery stores.

I sometimes order food (flown up @ $18/kg or $8.18/lb) from Quebec grocery stores where, civilized as they are, they sell rendered duck fat in little tubs of @ 300 grams (10.5 ounces).

I never see duck fat in our grocery stores in English Canada (on the prairies or in BC or in the north), so I think it is unique to Quebec (French Canada) and/or specialty stores in Canada. It is readily available in France as well.

Potatoes fried in duck fat are peculiarly, obscenely, divine. In a league of their own. Who knew. :wink:

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:31 am

Actually it does sound good. I know the crispy skin of a turkey is yummy and a turkey is almost a duck and skin is covering fat so,

it does sound good 8)
Berry

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:01 am

I'll have to remember that the next time I'm in the Arctic.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:30 pm

Happy Saturday All.

Had Honey Nut Cheerios, half a banana, 2pct milk, flax seed and cinnamon - for breakfast/lunch.

Had a small baked sweet potato mid afternoon, plain. It was fine. Not the best tasting sweet potato ever but fine. My fault as I made it in the microwave! Didn't really want anything to eat but was making soup and grilled cheese sandwiches for some others here and felt I should throw something healthy on a plate and sit down at the table with them. haha...

Had my salad for dinner along with a small serving of wild rice and broccoli topped with crushed white corn tortilla chips and shredded cheddar and mozzarella cheese (the rice mixture cooked on the top of the stove and then put in a casserole dish along with steamed broccoli, topped with the crunchy/cheese goodies and popped under the broiler for a few minutes). Too yummy. I ate one small serving but honestly I could have eaten four times as much. But I did not. It will be there tomorrow. 8)

Got in twice my exercise today and that was a good feeling. Had to do it all in one stretch as we had company earlier, but I did.

To your health all,
Berry