Childoftheking daily check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

childoftheking

Childoftheking daily check-in

Post by childoftheking » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:28 pm

Today is day 4 for me. So far green success for the 1st 3 days! Yay! I had a few rough spots. On day 2 my son and I were eating lunch and realized we were going to be late for an appointment so I had to I leave my lunch and didn't get to finish my plate. I was hungry all afternoon and could have rationalized that I didn't get to finish my lunch so I could eat it later, but I didn't. I really want to get these habits down.
I have been a snacker, sweet eater, and a seconds taker, all at the same time and those habits have made me about 50lbs over weight! Of course I would love to take it all off in a matter of a couple of months, haha. But I know those kind of diets don't have any lasting effects for me. I was thinking that when I stick to this for the next year, my 50lbs will be gone!
I am so excited to stop the INSANITY of yoyo dieting and then binging. I can't wait until I don't have to think about food because this way of eating is habit! WooHoo![/code]

Day 4 will b success. 2 1/2 hrs till bedtime.
This was the 1st time I went grocery shopping on no s. Not really any problems but the candy bar was calling my name. I resisted & felt good abt it. I did find a small brownie mix so it is weekend size. I don't really want any left on Monday. I even bought my husband some cookies he likes (but I don't) so he can have them during the week.
I'm really glad I found no s!
Last edited by childoftheking on Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

animated

Post by animated » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:03 pm

Welcome to the land of sanity.
A slow pace and building proper eating habits will make this habit sticky.
Height 6'0"
Start Date: Aug 27, 2012
Start Weight : 239.6 lbs
Current Weight : 206.5 lbs
Goal Weight : 199.9 lbs

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:05 pm

Welcome, as a fellow Child of the King, I love your screen name.

If I could offer any advice, it would be Don't Overthink It. Eat healthy meals, get some exercise, drink lots of water and get enough sleep.

You can't go wrong when you are doing right. Stay the course.

:wink:
Berry

MJ7910

Post by MJ7910 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:05 am

i agree with berry, just commit to the structure and the rest will come! i have times when i think "oh just a little snack wont' hurt" but then i try and make myself remember the structure.
Current BMI: 22.9. Height: 5'4.5"
Highest BMI: 25.5 in August 2011.
Lowest adult BMI: 20.8 in February 2012.

childoftheking

Post by childoftheking » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:25 am

Thank you all so much. I haven't ever been part of a discussion board so this is all new to me. I appreciate your kind words of encouragement.

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:04 am

Welcome!! I too love your screen name! Enjoy the sanity of this plan!! Have a great day!
"Rivers know this: There is no hurry. We shall get there some day." ~Winnie the Pooh ~

A Flower does not think of competing with the flower next to it. It just blooms!

Diets Don't Work.

Sweetness
Location: Fall and winters in Cuernavaca, Morelos Mexico and summers in St Paul, Minnesota

Post by Sweetness » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:07 pm

Welcome, from sunny Mexico! I like your name too! No S is the best, don't worry about losing weight for the first bit till you get into the habit, and that takes at least 21 days. 8)
Patty

Anxiety in a person's heart weighs him down, but an encouraging word brings him joy. (Proverbs 12:25 NET)
I'm a glutton for encouragement.

childoftheking

Post by childoftheking » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:13 pm

Day 5 was a success! :)
I had a few temptations this week but it really wasn't too hard. I am determened to make it the 21 days!
Today is my 1st S day and I was a little worried I might attack the foods I know I can have today. So far so good. I had a couple of muffins that I'm not sure I would consider a sweet on N days but I don't think they have enought umph to get me through till lunch. So I thought I would just have them on S days.
We are going out with another couple for lunch and then to a museum so that should help me not to snack all day long. Plus it should be great fun!

Thanks for the encouragement everyone!

childoftheking

Post by childoftheking » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:03 pm

Yesterday was my first no s day. I think it went pretty well. I didn't deny myself what I wanted but I made sure it was really what I wanted before I ate it. We were not home much so that helped.
I am looking forward to being able to eat like this and lose weight at the same time!

Today we will be home more in the afternoon (my prime snacking time) so I will have to continue to ask myself if I am eating because I can or if it is something I really want and am hungry for.

Sweetness
Location: Fall and winters in Cuernavaca, Morelos Mexico and summers in St Paul, Minnesota

Post by Sweetness » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:02 pm

childoftheking wrote:Yesterday was my first no s day. I think it went pretty well. I didn't deny myself what I wanted but I made sure it was really what I wanted before I ate it. We were not home much so that helped.
I am looking forward to being able to eat like this and lose weight at the same time!

Today we will be home more in the afternoon (my prime snacking time) so I will have to continue to ask myself if I am eating because I can or if it is something I really want and am hungry for.
Great strategy! It took me a long time to learn this one! I had very wild S days at first. Now I find that I still like being hungry for my meals, and it needs to be either delicious, nutritious or Both even on days when I can have whatever I want... What do I really want? :lol:
Patty

Anxiety in a person's heart weighs him down, but an encouraging word brings him joy. (Proverbs 12:25 NET)

childoftheking

Post by childoftheking » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:21 pm

Yesterday my 2nd s day was pretty good. I'm learning what I should and should not have in the house. I will say the chocolate tasted great with no guilt (well maybe a little guilt, I'm still learning)

Today I am learning what not to eat at a fast food place for lunch. I had a salad, I didn't finish it all and I have been hungry since about an hour after lunch. I had some black coffee and it will be time for supper soon so I will make it, but I think I need more protein to make is all afternoon.

childoftheking

Post by childoftheking » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:04 pm

well I made it through my first s weekend and got right back on track for my 1st n day of the week. I knew I could do it but I wondered if after having eaten sweets if I would be "hooked" and not be able to resist on Monday. Not too bad of a day. No slips.

I made it through the afternoon (very hungry) by drinking some black coffee.
My plates are still pretty large, but I know this is still less food than when i go back for seconds. :)

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:02 pm

8)
Patty

childoftheking

Post by childoftheking » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:07 am

Good day today except I am really starting to notice how much I’m eating on my plates. Sometimes it is hard to judge how much i am going to need until the next meal. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have the hardest time with things like chili in a bowl or things that naturally stack.
Also I don’t like my food to touch (childish I know) so I usually eat things like peas or peaches in a little dish. I do put the little dish on my plate so I don’t put too much on it but sometimes that is hard to see how much room the food would take if not in a separate dish.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:44 am

Good job CTK. Keep it up.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

childoftheking

Post by childoftheking » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:05 pm

Thanks Over43. Any suggestions on "plating" soup/chili or things like fries & or items in seperate dishes?

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:14 am

Child,

What I go by is I ask myself, What would be a normal portion of this or that?Go with that. With chili or soup in a bowl, I allow myself to put chips, crackers or bread around it on my luncheon size plate. With your little container of peas, I would put that on the plate. Fresh veggies I sometimes put on a separate plate and don't worry how much, because I just need more raw veggies in my diet. I wouldn't worry too much about how much is too much yet. Try have enough food so that you can get into the habit of three meals a day. But if you end up being super hungry a couple hours after a meal, try to change your way of thinking about that. Have a beverage and usually the discomfort will go away after about 20 minutes, but if it doesn't, try telling yourself how much better your next meal will be because you are really hungry for it. And it will be if you wait. We need to start to see appetite as a friend. Food tastes much better if you have a good appetite! :mrgreen:
Patty

childoftheking

Post by childoftheking » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:57 am

Thanks Sweetness for your suggestions. :) That really helps. So far this has not been too hard. I have longed for the Girl Scout cookies a couple of times, but I just keep telling myself I can have them on Saturday if I still want them.
I am trying to be intentional about what I am fixing for supper for my family because there are some dishes I tend to want to over eat more than others. So I am planning them only on S days. That way if I want more I can have it. I am hoping that I'll get into the 1 plate habit on S days too.
Our son has been gone on spring break and it has been really easy to not snack because I don't see him doing it. This is kind of surprising since I used to snack in secret and being home alone was a prime opportunity. I also didn't buy so much snacky stuff since I knew he would not be home. I hope I can continue to do as well next week when he comes home.
8)

childoftheking

Post by childoftheking » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:18 pm

It is 4:11 in the afternoon on Friday and I REALLY want chocoolate. The only things keeping me from getting it are 1) Tomorrow is SATURDAY. I only have to wait like 16 hours. and 2) I don't want to end my 21 day challenge and have to start over. I'm on day 12 and that is just too far in for me to turn back now.
Thanks all for listening. Have a wonderful weekend with NO GUILT! :lol:

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:07 pm

It will taste even better tomorrow! :wink:
Patty

No BS

Post by No BS » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:56 am

Hi ctk:

I had to come & check out your thread after you kindly popped up on mine!

You are doing amazing! Good job.

Taking on the 21-day challenge is a marvelous way to hone your positive habits & keep you focused. The rewards are hugely gratifying.

Good discipline on the weekends, too! Impressive. :D
If you are not living life on the edge you are taking up too much room!!

childoftheking

Post by childoftheking » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:47 am

Thanks so much No BS and Sweetness! I really appreciate all your advice. Have a great weekend! 8)

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:16 pm

Good Morning ChildoftheKing!

Thanks for your encouragement on my check in. GREAT idea about writing down the verses and read them when you are feeling down to remind myself of the TRUTH! Starting with the one in 1 Samuel.

Have a great day!!
"Rivers know this: There is no hurry. We shall get there some day." ~Winnie the Pooh ~

A Flower does not think of competing with the flower next to it. It just blooms!

Diets Don't Work.

childoftheking

Post by childoftheking » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:43 pm

Well my weekend was not terrible, but not really great either. I did well on Saturday with not too much extra, but on Sunday after church I really ate too much of the wrong things.
I usually don't cook on Sunday's and we had the leftovers on Saturday night so I didn't have anything to just grab and eat. So I reached for the snacks, chips and chocolate. The good news is after a while I didn't find it very satisfying. I was looking for something filling and healthier. I will have to come up with a way to have what I need on hand on Sundays.
One thing I could use some advice on. I know S days are "no fail" days and that anything is ok, but when/how do I get over the guilt that I associate with eating the wrong foods or too much. I think the guilt has been in place for a long time and I don't know how to get rid of it.

sleepygirlzzzz
Location: Originally from Chicago; living in the UK for past 11yrs

Post by sleepygirlzzzz » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:53 pm

Hi,

I think the best thing to do is not to dwell on what you did 'wrong' and to tell yourself that you'll do better next time. I, too, overate this weekend and it didn't feel good. But I'm trying to just look at it as lesson learnt - it does not feel good to eat so much junk and feel overfull- and try to do better next weekend.

Good luck!

childoftheking

Post by childoftheking » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:25 pm

Thanks for the encouragement Sleepygirl! We can do this!

childoftheking

Post by childoftheking » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:34 pm

I did it! 21 days n a row!! Of course the last 3 were easy as Friday was a planned s day & then it was Saturday & Sunday.
I'm not going to weigh till April 4th as that is one month. One of the best things abt no s is I don't even have to tell anyone I'm doing it. :lol:

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:43 pm

Way to Go !!!

And yes, the beauty of eating normally is, well eating normally. Few people would say, What you are only eating one plate of food??????

As far as "how much food", the advice given earlier by Sweetness said it best. Assume you are not eating the food but walking by the plate of food in a restaurant sitting in front of another patron. Would you say (to yourself, of course) :D

WOW, that is a lot of food or would you not even notice it because it was a normal plate of food that a person would be eating.

You are doing great. :wink:
Berry

sleepygirlzzzz

Post by sleepygirlzzzz » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:08 pm

Wow! Congrats on the 21 days - that's a huge accomplishment! At least it is to me as a fairly newbie on No S.

Keep up the great work :wink:

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:25 am

Congrats! Now that you made it 21 days, keep the habit going! Hope you enjoyed the cookies this weekend, and you're finding the secret to enjoying them is to not have too many. You mentioned buying snacks for your son, sounds like maybe he is old enough to go get them himself. You could do as I did for a while and keep the sweets and snacks foods in a special cupboard that I considered off limits. It really helped, then after some time they were not so tempting. :wink:
Patty

childoftheking

Post by childoftheking » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:05 am

Thanks all for the encouragement and kind words about making it 21 days.
Day 22 & 23 were both GREEN days. Yay. I am starting to get this habit. I know I will have to keep my eyes glued to it to stay on track. I havent weighed yet, I'm waiting for April 4th so it is a month after I started. I don't think I have lost much but I feel better. Not near as bloatie (is that a word?) and that feels great. My goa,l if you can call it that because I'm just following vanilla no s so I don't really have control like I would if I was counting points or somethng, is to lose 4 lbs this month. We will see if that actually happens. Frankly, I'm just happy to feel like I have a little self control. :mrgreen:

No BS

Post by No BS » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:11 am

You go girl!!! :D Very well done!

KL

Post by KL » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:32 pm

Hi Child of the King,

Awesome job in reaching your 21 days! Keep on racking up those GREENS.

Doesn't it feel great to not feel bloated - in your mind and body :lol:

From one Child of the King to another keep looking up!
"Everything is permissible for me - but not everything is beneficial...I will not be mastered by anything." 1 Cor 6:12

childoftheking

Post by childoftheking » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:47 am

Day 25 GREEN! Yay. It was harder today because after a meeting tonight everyone went to a McDonalds for drinks, ice cream and snacks. Usually i would get ice cream but tonight I just had water. Worked pretty well but there was a moment when they set the fresh hot french fries in front of me that I thought about eating a few. It wasn't too hard as I have come this far. Also today is the first time anyone asked if I was loosing weight! :lol: Even though I don't know if I have or not or how much, that was enough to make me keep going.
Tomorrow is a planned s day if I need it (we are going out for my son's birthday) and it would be my 2nd non weekend s day of the month but fortunately the end of the month is on Sunday.

KL

Post by KL » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:44 pm

Congrats on 25 days and for sticking it out at Micky Dee's. It does get easier once the habit is taking root. Good job :)
"Everything is permissible for me - but not everything is beneficial...I will not be mastered by anything." 1 Cor 6:12

childoftheking

Post by childoftheking » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:01 pm

Happy Easter! :D
Day 26 (friday was a planned S event) so Yay!
Day 27 was Saturday S Day and today is Sunday another S!
Friday went well just ate the salad and soup that came before our meal and then a little chocolate after dinner.
Yesterday I really wasn't too much of an idiot until the end then I had too big of a bowl of ice cream. But really to my surprise, when I eat my 3 meals on S days I don't want too much else. It was nice to have some of the special cheese I bought for the weekend with my drink before supper.
Thanks for the encouragement KL!
Have a beautiful day! :lol:

KL

Post by KL » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:46 am

What a great benefit of regularly eating 3 meals - not wanting much else :!: :D

No BS

Post by No BS » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:57 am

childoftheking wrote: But really to my surprise, when I eat my 3 meals on S days I don't want too much else.
Gosh, cotk, it sounds like you are doing really well! Good job.

Hope you have a super week! :mrgreen:

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:59 am

27 days is great!! :mrgreen: 8) :lol:
Patty

Jonas Jonasson

Post by Jonas Jonasson » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:22 am

Yeah, you're doing awesome.
I like your enthusiasm.
Disclaimer (still applicable):
If a person is fairly new to English their English words and expressions are influenced by their mother tongue, so things that might sound impolite to you are not always meant in that way.

sleepygirlzzzz

Post by sleepygirlzzzz » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:06 pm

You're doing so well! And congrats on what sounds like a very controlled weekend - yay! :D

childoftheking

Post by childoftheking » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:25 pm

31 days :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:! I am so excited! I will weigh myself tomorrow morning. I really wanted to do it today but I said I would not do it till the 4th so I'll wait. I don't know if I have lost but I know I feel better! I am hoping for a 4 lb loss but as long as I didn't gain, I will be happy but of course happier if I lost. LOL. I just need to remember that the tortoise always wins the race.

Thank you all for so many encouraging words. I really enjoy watching your check in posts as well. You are all such an inspiration to me.

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:50 pm

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Patty

KL

Post by KL » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:20 am

childoftheking wrote:31 days :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:!

I just need to remember that the tortoise always wins the race.
Yay!!! Good for you :D Keep your eyes on the prize!

childoftheking

Post by childoftheking » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:36 pm

Ok so here is where all my talk (typing) comes into question. I weighed myself this morning and I am down 2lbs. :| I am very happy for the 2 (may only be a lb and a half as I am not exactly sure of my starting weight), but as you know I really wanted to lose 4 lbs. So now I'm a little disappointed. I said any amount off my body was going to be celebrated and that even maintaining is better than the gaining I was doing.
I guess my disappointment is because I feel like I have lost more than that. I guess it really is ok because it shouldn't be about the scale anyway but about how I feel. It really hasn't been to hard not to have the s's on non s days, although I have had to turn down some tempting treats, so I will keep going. What is that saying about people usually quitting 1 inch before success? Well I don't want to do that!
Oh and day 32 :mrgreen:
Last edited by childoftheking on Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KL

Post by KL » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:39 pm

childoftheking wrote: What is that saying about people usually quitting 1 inch before success? Well I don't want to do that!
Or, don't stop before the miracle happens...you CAN do this :)

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:26 pm

Child, Two pounds down IS success!!! Just shake off that disappointment right now! The most important thing is that you have a habit, let the habit work for you and you will lose the weight. And the No S habit is what will help you maintain the weight loss once you do lose it. Slow and steady wins the race. Congrats on the 32 days and the 2 pounds. 8) :lol: :wink: :mrgreen:
Patty

childoftheking

Post by childoftheking » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:36 pm

Thanks Sweetness and KL. Yes it is success and it is success without being a crazy woman like I have been in the past! Thanks for reminding me. I did finally find my starting weight and I am only down 1.6lbs but I am still thinking of that as success. Frankly, if I had been weighing myself each month the last few months I'm sure it would have been a gain each month. So just turning that around is a HUGE success!

No BS

Post by No BS » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:38 pm

33 days on habit is a MONSTER success!! :mrgreen:

Good work!! :D

Now give yourself a huge hug of congratulations, approval & gratitude! :lol:

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:28 am

Two pounds of real weight loss is great! (Let's just round up)....

Hey, close to two pounds times 12 is almost 24 pounds in a year. Now wouldn't that be nice? Say as opposed to gaining 24 pounds in the next year. If you are doing right, you can't go wrong. You are probably losing body mass that doesn't show up on a scale.

I am twenty pounds over what the "charts" say I should weigh at 5 foot 4 - but I am at my ideal weight. The more you exercise the more you can weigh and still be the size you desire.

Stay the course. :wink:
Berry

childoftheking

Post by childoftheking » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:24 pm

Day 36 :mrgreen:
Yay! My weekend was pretty good only a few moments of idiocy. I know I probably need to limit the sweets on weekends but right now I'm very happy with my consistent green N days and don't want to mess that up by restricting my S days too much.
Thank you all for the encouraging words. They really help keep me on track!

KL

Post by KL » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:18 pm

Good job :!: Yay for consistent GREEN N days and 36 days on habit. :D :D

childoftheking

Post by childoftheking » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:03 pm

Bad headache today. My usual would be to go find something sweet especailly chocolate. I know that doesn't really make me feel better but that has been my habit and it usually only makes me feel guilty on top of the pain. Now that I am doing No S, I will not do that! I am determined to stay in the green!

SpiritSong

Post by SpiritSong » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:10 pm

I hope you are feeling better today, and way to go on your efforts to stay green!

No BS

Post by No BS » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:45 am

cotk, hope your head has stopped hurting. Headaches are the worst, particularly when it is not hangover! :wink:

childoftheking

Post by childoftheking » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:12 am

Thank for the well wishes for my headache. It's still here today but was better earlier n the day.
Another green day! Still wanting sweets but ill wait till at least tomorrow. It may be a planned non weekday s day. My parents r back from Texas & I haven't seen them since January!!

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:13 am

Child, Praying you feel better. Good for you on resisting the chocolate. :wink:
Patty

childoftheking

Post by childoftheking » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:34 pm

Headache a little better. Thanks for the prayers! I resisted the chocolate and now it's a S DAY! Yay i can have it if I really want it with NO GUILT! WooHoo! :lol:
I was able to keep yesterday Green :mrgreen: and didn't use a planned non weekend S day. Which is great because now I have it for later in the month if I want it.
I decided to weigh myself on Fridays so that it would remind me no to blow it on the weekends. Yesterday I was down 3.8 pounds! I am so excited, because this seems to really be working (slowly but that's ok) and I am not crazy with counting or feeling deprived. Thanks No S! :D

No BS

Post by No BS » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:15 pm

cotk, congratulations on the self-control, the discipline in the face of headache & the excitement of your parents visit, AND FOR LOSING 3.8 POUNDS!!! :mrgreen:

Well done! What a great way to slide into a weekend! :D

I love your reason for weighing on Fridays! :wink:

childoftheking

Post by childoftheking » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:36 am

So today is Saturday and an S Day! I am so happy that this is a no fail day. I am trying to decide if I'm being an idiot or not. Maybe you all can help me decide. I had cereal this morning. This isn't my usual as it really doesn't fill me up for long; I really need protein in the mornings. Then I ran some errands and came home and had a brat, some chips and dip avocado and 2 Oreo cookies. Later (i think because i didn't have any veggies or fruit for lunch), I was hungry and had very small amount of chips for a snack. Then for supper, I had 3 pork ribs, a baked potato and broccoli with cheese sauce (seconds on the broccoli) and a slice of birthday cake (celebrating my mom's birthday late). I also had a beer and a glass and a half of wine.
So I had all 3 s's. Is this an idiot day? Before no s, this would have probably been a normal day so it feels not too bad, but I don't want to be fooling myself, thinking I am doing good when really I need to restrict myself more. :?

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:13 am

childoftheking wrote:So today is Saturday and an S Day! I am so happy that this is a no fail day. I am trying to decide if I'm being an idiot or not. Maybe you all can help me decide. I had cereal this morning. This isn't my usual as it really doesn't fill me up for long; I really need protein in the mornings. Then I ran some errands and came home and had a brat, some chips and dip avocado and 2 Oreo cookies. Later (i think because i didn't have any veggies or fruit for lunch), I was hungry and had very small amount of chips for a snack. Then for supper, I had 3 pork ribs, a baked potato and broccoli with cheese sauce (seconds on the broccoli) and a slice of birthday cake (celebrating my mom's birthday late). I also had a beer and a glass and a half of wine.
So I had all 3 s's. Is this an idiot day? Before no s, this would have probably been a normal day so it feels not too bad, but I don't want to be fooling myself, thinking I am doing good when really I need to restrict myself more. :?
Of course not! Sounds like a pretty normal S day to me. If you feel overfull and sluggish from eating too much, you probably will have a milder day tomorrow. I hate it when anyone says they were stupid or an idiot. Smart people can make unwise choices, and you are smart. :idea: 8)... And you made a smart choice to choose No S, and allow yourself to be free on S days!
Patty

childoftheking

Post by childoftheking » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:21 am

Thanks Patty. I am still fairly new to no s and just don't want to be fooling myself that I am doing well and really not.
Yes you are right we can sometimes make unwise choices. I really don't feel bad of sluggish and I didn't feel overfull all day either. I guess I need to listen to my body more than my confused brain. My body will tell me when I have over done it. :wink:

I will be going to sleep soon and thought about eating another Oreo. (they really are good when you don't eat the whole package) but I am not hungry and for the first time in my life I really don't want anything to eat :!: I think I'll wait till tomorrow and if I want one then, I can have it.

childoftheking

Post by childoftheking » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:42 am

Green day today! :mrgreen: This is day 43! Yay! I have been watching some of you and I am inspired to keep going! I can't wait till I hit 90 days. Then I think I will be close to having a habit!

I had a moment where I was offered a chocolate but I declined and so the rest of the day went well. Almost time for bed so I don't expect any slips at this point. I am almost halfway to my goal of 90 days Green so I don't want to give up not.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement.

SpiritSong

Post by SpiritSong » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:25 pm

Congrats on the chocolate turn down! :D

sleepygirlzzzz

Post by sleepygirlzzzz » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:47 pm

43 days green and nearly 4lbs lost - that's AMAZING! Really well done. You should be so proud of yourself! :D

childoftheking

Post by childoftheking » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:46 am

:mrgreen: Day 44 :mrgreen:
Had a very full plate tonight, rice, chicken, and broccoli with cheese sauce. Yum! I didn't really feel too full or bloated so I think it was ok. I haven't felt really bloated since I started no s. It feels wonderful! :!:

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:56 am

Hmm, I also had cheesy rice with broccoli and chicken casserole for dinner yesterday and today! they say great minds think alike!
Patty

childoftheking

Post by childoftheking » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:10 pm

Should be a green day today. I went to lunch with some friends and thought it may be a nws day, but in the end I shared a burger and fries with my sister so it was even a small plate. No dessert so still in the Green for today. :mrgreen: If I decide to have a dessert or snack this evening with my husband, I'll call it a nws day but I will probably just keep it at green. I like the idea of saving them for later in the month because you never know what may pop up.

Sweetness I thought I posted before but I don't see it. So I'll just say that I am glad we think alike!

No BS

Post by No BS » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:13 pm

cotk, you are doing fabulous! :mrgreen: It's amazing how fast the days speed by when you are in the groove. :wink:

childoftheking

Post by childoftheking » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:57 pm

Day 51 4/23 GREEN :mrgreen:
The weekend was pretty wild with cookies. I think I have figured out that if I would bake a pie or something like that, I would probably eat 2 pieces each day and that would be less than the dozen cookies I ate over the weekend! HaHa!
I may try that this weekend. When I weighed last Friday, I was up 4 ounces. I know that 4 ounces isn't anything to worry about but it is in the wrong direction. Now I am a little hesitant to weigh this Friday. What if it is up again? I haven’t lost near what my goal was and I really don't want to get diet head again, (I fight it most days), so not really sure what to do. I can tell I'm not losing much and most of me is ok with that, but there is one part that really wants to do low carb or something else just to get things rolling.
Sorry for rambling. :oops:

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:29 am

You are doing well! Maintaining is success. Please don't obsess about 4 ounces. What is that? less than a half of a glass of water. This is the only "diet" I know of that so many have been able to maintain their weight for years. Don't give in to diet head, and don't worry about the scale. If its a worry for you, you could just weigh once a month. I'm very proud of you for 51 days on habit. That habit will work for you long term. 8)
Patty

childoftheking

Post by childoftheking » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:45 am

4/24 :mrgreen: Day 52
4/25 NWS Day Day 53
4/26 :mrgreen: Day 54
As much as I want to say just forget it and eat what I want, I won't. only 3 hours till I'll go to sleep and then tomorrow is a S day! Yay!
I do think that I am going to have to add in exercise and maybe restrict my S's on weekends if I am ever to lose any weight. I am at that age where it is almost impossible to lose, but I have seen that others have done it and I know I can to if I just don't give up! :)

sleepygirlzzzz

Post by sleepygirlzzzz » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:39 pm

Definitely don't give up because you're already on 54 days and doing so well! As you say, perhaps add some exercise and see if that makes a difference. Even if it doesn't make a difference on the scale, it can generally make you feel better mentally. And for me, it helps keep my mind off food so that's another bonus :wink:

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:30 am

Think of the tortoise and the hare. I tend to try to be the hare, but many friends here have been tortoises, lost all their weight, and haven't needed to return. Also, I wanted to remind you to go ahead and get the sweets and freeze them for the weekend!
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:12 am

Child,
I hardly lost any weight on No S till I added the exercise. But I also didn't gain weight on No S, which was a trend reversal. For 4 years I gained 4 to 5 pounds per year before No S. Then on No S, I lost and maintained only about 3 pounds that first year. (I gained 7 when I slid off for a couple months.) In the past 6 months I have been sticking to No S plus seriously exercising and I have lost 15 pounds. For me the exercise has been key. I haven't restricted S days. I'm 58, and it is hard to lose weight at my age, but I think the exercise has kicked up my metabolism. 8)
Patty

No BS

Post by No BS » Wed May 01, 2013 2:30 am

cotk, I haven't lost a lot of weight either. But I feel absolutely wonderful, mentally & physically, and totally happy with how I am doing.

I don't worry/obsess about food anymore and I never overeat. That is such a joyful relief to me I don't even worry about the weight coming off. It'll move off eventually.

In the meantime I'm just having fun & enjoying my life. :wink: No"S" has given me that freedom.

childoftheking

Post by childoftheking » Wed May 01, 2013 5:22 pm

Thank you all for the wise words! :)

I have to admit that my mind keeps going to the quick fix diets and tell myself I'll maintain with no s. But so far I have been able to remind myself that I am not a crazy woman about food right now. That is because of NoS. Also this is a huge thing for me to admit but I was a glutton. I say was because I feel like I am free! That is what nos has done for me! WooHoo! That is soooo big. When I realized that, the weight isn't so much the focus. Healthy mind and body are now my focus.

I have added in some walking, most days about a mile of a mile and a half. The weather makes all the difference.

Also, a while back I had some food allergy testing done. So I have decided to not eat the foods on that list during the week. Right now I am only doing 3 of them because it is so hard (there are 28 different foods) to do them all at once. I am hoping by doing it this way I can eventually keep from eating all of them. The biggest problem with the food allergies is that I don't really feel any different if I eat them or not.

4/26 Day 55
4/27 Day 56 S Day :D only really one s event! :o
4/28 Day 57 S Day :D
4/29 Day 58 :mrgreen:
4/30 Day 59 :mrgreen:

childoftheking

Post by childoftheking » Fri May 03, 2013 1:24 am

Day 60 NWS Day! I will probably have 3 of these in May but I only had 1 in April so I guess it all evens out. 8)

childoftheking

Post by childoftheking » Sun May 05, 2013 3:06 am

5/2 Day 60 :mrgreen:
5/3 Day 61 :mrgreen:
5/4 Day 62 S Day :!:
5/5 Day 63 S Day :!:

Today was a pretty good S day. Started with a normal breakfast and lunch. Had a snack and then supper. Made a peach pie for dessert.
Funny thing is after the snack I wasn't really very hungry for supper. It is hard to believe that is how I always was 60 days ago.

Weighed myself today I have offically lost 4 pounds! Yay! That is have of what my goal was but I'm feeling pretty good about how my mind is these days. I don't think I will weigh myself again for a month (unless I give in). It usually doesn't help my outlook. :roll:

childoftheking

Post by childoftheking » Thu May 09, 2013 4:40 pm

5/6 Day 64 :mrgreen:
5/7 Day 65 :mrgreen:
5/8 Day 66 :mrgreen:
only by gritting my teath did I make it yesterday. I was determined to make it green but I was really tempted. Glad I made it through. I really want to make it to 100 days.
Tomorrow will be a NWS day Yay!

childoftheking

Post by childoftheking » Fri May 10, 2013 3:17 am

5/9 Day 67 Green!
Tomorrow, Friday is a nws day for me. I am excited to be able to eat the things I felt like I was being deprived of this last week. I know I really haven't been deprived and I really haven't felt this way much since I started on No S, but for some reason this week has been the hardest.

I am losing VERY slowly so I don't want to slow the process even further but going crazy tomorrow and over the weekend, so I will have to be a little careful. I know I can do this. This is not a get thin quick diet, but one of moderation and sanity. Thank you No S!

sleepygirlzzzz

Post by sleepygirlzzzz » Fri May 10, 2013 6:21 am

Congrats on 67 days green and 4lbs down - that's amazing! Try not to stress about losing weight slowly, at least your losing and that's great. I have yet to lose any lbs and although it's disappointing, I'm not overly concerned at the moment because mentally I feel SOOOOOO much better than I did before starting No S about 3 months ago.

Enjoy your NWS day! I'm so jealous!

No BS

Post by No BS » Mon May 13, 2013 2:39 am

cotk, you are doing fabulous! CONGRATULATIONS on all your hard work! :mrgreen:

childoftheking

Post by childoftheking » Mon May 13, 2013 1:10 pm

Good morning! As I say each morning as I wake up "I choose joy"!
:D This is a habit I am trying to get into as I know that joy is a choice. I can either focus on what is bad in my life or what is good. I am choosing to focus on the good.

Thanks for the encouragement NO BS. I can't believe how much the kind and encouraging words y'all share help me keep going.

After 3 s days in a row I am ready to get back to N days. Isn't that funny how I find comfort in boundaries? I guess that is because No S doesn't feel restrictive but comfortable.

5/10 Day 68 S day
5/11 Day 69 S Day
5/12 Day 70 S Day

childoftheking

Post by childoftheking » Thu May 16, 2013 8:46 pm

5/13 Day 71 :mrgreen:
5/14 Day 71 :mrgreen:
5/15 Day 73 :mrgreen:
5/16 Day 74 :mrgreen: it's not over yet but I think it will be ok
5/17 Day 75 may be another nwsd. I know I have already had 1 or 2 this month and there may be 2 more, but that is the way it may end up being. I certainly want to continue to lose (even as slowly as I have been) and i know the nwsd's may slow that down even more, but this graduation season (my son is graduating on Saturday) has been so hectic. I have family coming in tonight and tomorrow I am doing all the things I need to do for the party on Sunday. Family in my home sometimes makes it hard to stay completely on track. So instead of a fail, I am going to plan on it being an s day and if it isn't then that is great. :lol:

childoftheking

Post by childoftheking » Mon May 20, 2013 7:15 pm

5/18 Day 76 S Day :D
5/19 Day 77 S Day :D

childoftheking

Post by childoftheking » Tue May 21, 2013 6:30 pm

1) Over the weekend our son (only child) graduated from high school (we homeschooled him so I am now out of a job!)
2) I usually have trouble with diets because I get going and it becomes my life. I get so focused and the idea of failing is awful so I just put my head down and keep going until the pressure is too great (usually after I reach my goal) and I quit tracking and then gain back the weight I have lost.
When I do that I find it hard to live life because I "have to follow the rules".
I am finding myself doing that with no s. I set a goal for 60 days of on habit and before I reached that I reset it for 100 days. Right now I am on Day 79 and still on habit. However, I for the 1st time and feeling left out. I now know I can stay on habit so I am not afraid to have the suspension.
So I have decided to take a 1 week suspension from no s and then next Tuesday I will start again with the goal to keep on habit until our next vacation at the end of July when I will suspend again.
I am thinking that this way I can keep my head in the right place and continue to build my habit and not just give up and quit trying all together!

finallyfull

Post by finallyfull » Wed May 22, 2013 1:50 pm

Suspending tracking, or suspending eating three meals on N days only?

If it's the latter, I will be curious if you feel happier eating that way for a week. I am at a point (and I do not track, because it keeps me focused on "diet" rather than "life") where I dislike being off of No S on weekends. I would not suspend it for a week for myself because it would be unpleasant.

sleepygirlzzzz

Post by sleepygirlzzzz » Thu May 23, 2013 6:40 pm

I, too, have had passing thoughts of taking a day or week off of No S. There have been times when I've thought, 'why shouldn't I be allowed to go to the shop and buy a candy bar if I want one like a 'normal' person?' But then that thought was followed by more a rational thought of 'It's not as though I'm deprived by not eating sweets. It probably makes sense to keep 'treats' as treats rather than as an everyday food.'

But importantly for me, I worry that if I take a break or change the habit, that I will go off the rails and find it hard to get back on track. This is the most sane I've felt with food in over a year. I do hope though that one day I'll be able to eat modestly without having to follow any actual rules.

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to let you know that I understand how you feel about wanting to take a break. Good luck with it and also congrats for making it 79 days - that's amazing!

childoftheking

Post by childoftheking » Wed May 29, 2013 1:07 am

sleepygirlzzz, thanks for your post. I am back on track after my suspended week and easily back to GREEN. Yay. It really wasn't a bad vacation week. I did a little grazing and had some sweets but not too bad. I also did quite a bit of yard work, walking and other exercise.

I think it has helped me to regain my prospective on this. It is a habit for a lifetime. Of course there will be times in my life when I just won't be able to stick to 3 a day and that is ok. It is a long term thing and I shouldn’t make it so dire on a daily basis. I do have a problem with "failing" so the suspended week really helped to get my head back in the right place.
Sorry if this sound really out there, but I have been wrestling with my 'diet head' for so long and I just don't want to go back there.

childoftheking

Post by childoftheking » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:28 pm

My week last week was green :mrgreen: and my weekend was pretty good on Saturday but Sunday afternoon seems to be when I get a little crazy. I am usually home and not doing much so I tend to graze. But all in all I am very happy with my week.

I am not getting on this site as often and that seems to help me not think of this as a "diet" so much and just a way of living. So my daily check in may become my weekly check in unless I am really struggling to stay on track.

Thanks for the encouragement everyone!

childoftheking

Post by childoftheking » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:35 am

Well it's Tuesday & I'm just getting here. Last week was green yay & a pretty good s weekend. I am noticing a trend with the weekends & know I need to get them calmer. I'm just glad to only have 2 days like that where I used to have 7! Green yesterday & today & I don't expect any blips this week.
It's amazing to me how this just feels like it fits into my life so well. Not that I don't struggle some days but I'm really liking no s.
I did put the scales away because that made it feel like a "diet". So I don't know how much I've lost but I do feel better & think my clothes for a little better. I don't think I'll weigh again till I really notice a big difference in my clothing.

childoftheking

Post by childoftheking » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:22 am

Ok so tonight is the hardest night so far on no s. I hit a deer on my way home tonight & probably totaled my car. It's not a great car & we own it outright do no full coverage. We have been working so hard to get all our debt paid off and we r so close. Only about 6 more months to go but now we will probably have to buy a car! Rats!! All this to say I really want to eat! I know it won't help & n only 36 hours I can have a snack, but that isn't helping right now! Oh well I'll just go to bed.

Jonas Jonasson

Post by Jonas Jonasson » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:23 am

oh dear
(((((child))))
Disclaimer (still applicable):
If a person is fairly new to English their English words and expressions are influenced by their mother tongue, so things that might sound impolite to you are not always meant in that way.

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:35 am

((((((((((((((((((Big Hug)))))))))))))))))))

I know it is so hard, but eating will not get rid of any of your other problems and only add to your sad feeling later.

Be Strong! You Can Do This!!!
Hugs from Sunny South Africa
Vanilla No S with no Sugar due to Health issues - 11 yrs No S - September 2016 (some good, some bad (my own doing) but always the right thing for me!)

childoftheking

Post by childoftheking » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:15 pm

Thank you MerryKat and Jonas for your comments. You are both right. This morning I woke up and said aloud, "I choose Joy"! Whatever happens with the car and the debt, the best thing is that neither of us was hurt! :D This may be a blessing. I will just have to wait and see. I didn't eat last night and feel certain that I can wait till Saturday for any S's! Thanks again.

childoftheking

Post by childoftheking » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:12 pm

Well I made it through till the weekend and then that wasn't too bad. This coming week should be all green except one planned event. Thanks for talking me down the other night. I knew I needed to come here instead of eating!

Over43

Post by Over43 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:46 am

Sorry to hear about your car. But the most important thing in a deer versus vehicle encouter is you are OK. That is often not the case.

Keep up the good work on the No S.

P.S. I need to ask, are you one of Christ's children? Or Elvis? :wink:
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

childoftheking

Post by childoftheking » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:39 pm

Christ's child. Although I do like Elvis' music.
Thank you for the laugh this morning! :lol:

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:44 am

I'm late to the party, so to speak, but sorry for your deer accident and congrats on not giving in to that seemingly innocent desire to eat over it. It's so common for us to do it that it almost seems like it makes sense, but if I think of some Parisian woman eating over something upsetting, it seems to show it up as illogical as it is. Then again, she might have a drink and a cigarette. Not any more logical, really, but certainly considered relatively normal. Those are the last things that would occur to me. I guess it's all relative.

You are doing marvelously well. It's fun to see.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)