Shortformyweight check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Shortformyweight

Shortformyweight check-in

Post by Shortformyweight » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:33 pm

I started last Thursday, and I've had good days every day - all happy green days on my Habitcal calendar.

I am struggling with the desire to taste something sweet and chocolate and delicious today even though I'm not hungry. I have already decided I'm not going to give in, though.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:01 pm

congrats on your excellent start! keep it up :)
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

MJ7910

Post by MJ7910 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:21 pm

great start so far. it is tempting to give in. but try and just put it out of your mind. don't give it too much thought. sometimes my best days/weeks seem to happen when i distract myself.
Current BMI: 22.9. Height: 5'4.5"
Highest BMI: 25.5 in August 2011.
Lowest adult BMI: 20.8 in February 2012.

No BS

Post by No BS » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:17 am

Welcome, Shortformyweight! Congratulations on leaping into the deep end and power swimming right off the hop!! :D

Love your moniker. I must admit I have said more than once that I am not overweight just under tall! :wink:
If you are not living life on the edge you are taking up too much room!!

Shortformyweight

Fell off the wagon

Post by Shortformyweight » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:15 pm

At least it wasn't in a big way, but I'm going to re-start my attempt for 21 days on straightforward No S. I partially blame the Girl Scout cookies. There were 2 tagalongs left, and I only had one this weekend.

I have been tracking my food on My Fitness Pal, and I'm being completely honest, which is eye opening and helping me make some better choices. Most days, I'm fine, but every so often, I have a day with way too much sugar or sodium. I also had one day where I was way over on protein. I need to do a better job of planning, and it would help if life would get slightly less busy so I could have more time to get to the grocery store!

wosnes

Re: Fell off the wagon

Post by wosnes » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:43 pm

Shortformyweight wrote: I have been tracking my food on My Fitness Pal, and I'm being completely honest, which is eye opening and helping me make some better choices. Most days, I'm fine, but every so often, I have a day with way too much sugar or sodium. I also had one day where I was way over on protein. I need to do a better job of planning, and it would help if life would get slightly less busy so I could have more time to get to the grocery store!
If the days when you're over on sugar, salt or protein (or anything, for that matter) are infrequent, I wouldn't worry about it. To paraphrase an old friend of mine, it's not what you do now and then that matters. It's what you do day in and day out.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Shortformyweight

Post by Shortformyweight » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:37 am

3/26 - Success!
3/27 - Can I color today blue, for a mostly green but one yellowish moment? I had a sweet treat that fit on my plate at dinner.
3/28 - success
3/29 - success
Had a great day of eating yesterday. I felt satisfied and yet stayed on the vanilla no s track.
3/30 - s day
3/31 - s day - even though it was an S day, I stuck to the No S plan.

I feel like things are getting easier.

Shortformyweight

And, they weren't getting easier

Post by Shortformyweight » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:29 pm

I failed yesterday. I successfully resisted (without even feeling any effort in doing so) all the treats that came into the office after the holiday weekend.

And then I went home and had an ice cream sundae.

Ah well, today is another day.

Shortformyweight

Post by Shortformyweight » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:06 pm

Yesterday was a new day, and I had a great one.

4/2 - SUCCESS!
4/3 - SUCCESS! - 7 lbs gone since I started!

Shortformyweight

Another day

Post by Shortformyweight » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:32 pm

Another success!

4/4 - SUCCESS!

This definitely seems to be getting easier for me as I go along.

Sweetness
Location: Fall and winters in Cuernavaca, Morelos Mexico and summers in St Paul, Minnesota

Post by Sweetness » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:23 pm

Seeing green! Keep adding the green days and soon you will have a great habit!
Patty

Anxiety in a person's heart weighs him down, but an encouraging word brings him joy. (Proverbs 12:25 NET)
I'm a glutton for encouragement.

Shortformyweight

Post by Shortformyweight » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:07 pm

Thanks, Sweetness.

Had a good weekend. I cautiously allowed myself to have a snack on both Saturday and Sunday. On Saturday it meant I didn't have room for dinner; on Sunday, it was dessert, and honestly, I didn't feel so good after I ate it, so I may try to keep the No" in the "S" days.

Back to the routine today!

SpiritSong

Post by SpiritSong » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:28 pm

Shortformyweight wrote:Had a good weekend. I cautiously allowed myself to have a snack on both Saturday and Sunday. On Saturday it meant I didn't have room for dinner; on Sunday, it was dessert, and honestly, I didn't feel so good after I ate it, so I may try to keep the No" in the "S" days.
The S's are always optional on S-Days. It is just nice to have the choice. :D

Shortformyweight

Post by Shortformyweight » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:19 pm

4/6 - S day
4/7 - S day
4/8 - SUCCESS!

Sweetness
Location: Fall and winters in Cuernavaca, Morelos Mexico and summers in St Paul, Minnesota

Post by Sweetness » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:45 pm

Shortformyweight wrote:Thanks, Sweetness.

Had a good weekend. I cautiously allowed myself to have a snack on both Saturday and Sunday. On Saturday it meant I didn't have room for dinner; on Sunday, it was dessert, and honestly, I didn't feel so good after I ate it, so I may try to keep the No" in the "S" days.

Back to the routine today!
S days are a learning experience... they are a safety valve that sometimes you are going to need. I wouldn't advise making modifications to the plan at this stage of your journey. I have had many S days that I felt not so good after them, it makes me look forward to sanity on Mondays! How many dieters can say they look forward to going back to their "diet"? This is the beauty of No S! 8)
Patty

Anxiety in a person's heart weighs him down, but an encouraging word brings him joy. (Proverbs 12:25 NET)

Shortformyweight

Post by Shortformyweight » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:22 pm

Yesterday was a tough day, I had to rally myself to avoid temptation, but I managed it. I had a lot of homework to do when I got home from work, and I so wanted a snack while I was doing it, but I resisted. Then I had to go to the grocery store before dinner to pick up a couple of ingredients, but I resisted the temptations there as well. And I had 3 no S meals, and I was satisfied by the time dinner ended.

4/6 - S day
4/7 - S day
4/8 - SUCCESS!
4/9 - SUCCESS!
4/10 - SUCCESS!

No BS

Post by No BS » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:12 am

Hi Short, sure lots of :mrgreen: on your thread! Good job! :D
If you are not living life on the edge you are taking up too much room!!

Shortformyweight

Post by Shortformyweight » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:37 pm

4/12 - Success!
4/13 - S day
4/14 - S day

I wasn't too out of control on either S day - I was on the road on Saturday and ate very little, but poorly. Sunday was my stepson's birthday, and he requested dinner at a local burger/ice cream place, so we went and I had a cheeseburger, shared fries with my daughter and had a small (one scoop) hot fudge sundae. It was delicious, but my stomach didn't feel so hot afterwards. Still, I didn't get out of control with snacks at all. I made snickerdoodles for stepson as well, and I didn't even have one.

SpiritSong

Post by SpiritSong » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:41 pm

Sorry you didn't feel well after your Sunday dinner. Perhaps sometime you can try having each of these things separately (the cheeseburger, the fries, and the sundae) to see if only one of them is the problem. If only one of the three bothers your stomach, you can still enjoy the other two. :D

Shortformyweight

Post by Shortformyweight » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:55 pm

I think it might be the ice cream, because I had ice cream last Sunday and also felt not so great afterwards.

I'm happy to be back to the easy choices of the No S day! I always have some kind of fruit + protein for breakfast, a salad for lunch, and dinner I eat like I'm not on a diet - tonight I will be making some kind of baked pasta meal.

I do still get a post-lunch craving for something sweet, but I'm finding a piece of sugarless fruit flavored gum will take care of it.

SpiritSong

Post by SpiritSong » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:22 pm

Sorry if it is the ice cream. :( Maybe you can still enjoy frozen yogurt, or do you think it is the dairy?

Shortformyweight

Post by Shortformyweight » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:02 pm

I don't know, but it's probably all for the best if I just avoid ice cream.

4/15 - success!

Shortformyweight

Post by Shortformyweight » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:31 pm

4/16 - success
4/17 - I hesitate to call this day a success, although I didn't have sweets, seconds or snacks - I was not feeling well so I slept right through dinner, and according to my fitness pal I had nearly 800 calories left to eat in my day after lunch. Maybe I'll just call this a sick day and color it yellow on my Habitcal.

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:39 pm

Shortformyweight wrote:4/16 - success
4/17 - I hesitate to call this day a success, although I didn't have sweets, seconds or snacks - I was not feeling well so I slept right through dinner, and according to my fitness pal I had nearly 800 calories left to eat in my day after lunch. Maybe I'll just call this a sick day and color it yellow on my Habitcal.
It is OK to skip a meal.... Why not color it green? :mrgreen:
Hope you feel better today. 8)
Patty

sleepygirlzzzz
Location: Originally from Chicago; living in the UK for past 11yrs

Post by sleepygirlzzzz » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:41 pm

I agree with Sweetness that you should count Weds as green. You followed the 3 rules so there's no reason not to count it :wink:

Shortformyweight

Post by Shortformyweight » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:00 pm

Thanks for the feedback on my sick day.

I had a good weekend but went a wee bit off the rails yesterday. I was just so hungry all day long! I ended up having a few different snacks - a handful of Goldfish, an apple, and some tortilla chips & hummus.

Back in the saddle again today. I have increased the veggies I'll be eating at lunch today, have 3 pieces of fruit and yogurt for breakfast, and I'm pretending that the doughnuts that someone brought into the office don't actually exist.

Shortformyweight

5/6

Post by Shortformyweight » Mon May 06, 2013 6:38 pm

I haven't checked in in a bit, but things are going well. My main concern now is that I am also tracking my food in My Fitness Pal, and I'm finding that most days, I'm not consuming quite enough calories. I'm feeling very satisfied during the week, so I'm loathe to play around with the No S formula, since it's working well. Maybe I could add a wedge of cheese to my plate or something.

This month is loaded with special days, too - both of my kids and my best friend all have birthdays this month! Maybe I can make up the calorie shortfall in birthday cake.

Shortformyweight

Post by Shortformyweight » Wed May 15, 2013 1:26 pm

Checking in to report general success. I feel like this is definitely becoming habit and it's getting much easier to not snack during the week.

After almost a month of staying the same weight, I've lost 3.4 lbs in the past week. Woot!