Horker Stew spring/summer

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Horker Stew

Horker Stew spring/summer

Post by Horker Stew » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:12 pm

Gosh, I'm nervous about writing this and starting a check-in, but I seem to do better with some sort of accountability etc.

This is my first brush with No-S, I came across it in a Reddit comment. (immeasurable large online community/ time waster)
Well, the more I read, the more I nodded my head along in agreement. I have been low carb/keto for some time and I kind of hate it right now. I'm not really losing anything and I miss fruit and beer and yogurt, whole grain toast etc. I have also been having more cheat meals than on plan meals and I feel like I'm on a sinking ship. No-S is looking very much like a lifeboat.

About me - I am 41 and I have about 15 years in the very overweight category. I was average, sometimes slim until my first pregnancy and have never managed to find my way back to the natural rhythm that kept me normal weighted. I have been very big, 275 and pretty big 205, right now I'm just big, 220. I am 5 feet and 8 inches tall the last time I looked.
I have kids! Two of them, teenagers! They are both athletes and our lives revolve around their sport of choice and traveling to regattas to watch them compete. I am the only fat mom on the team, it makes me a little sad. I own a business, I like my husband a great deal and really love being married, I have friends who don't mind that I am oddball and life is actually pretty darn sweet... except this one thing.

I cant think of anything else that might be relevant or lend background color. Like many of us, I am a damn good cook, its my expressive outlet in many ways. I play a lot of video games for a 41 year old woman, I am what computer nerds from the 80s grew into...

Ok - so brass tacks and what not -
I'm on Day 3! I'm getting hungry between lunch and dinner and I know I have eaten enough, so it must be head hunger.

My plan is to do the vanilla flavor of No-s until June and then I am going to start a major exercise program, hopefully with eating habits nailed down.

I have to go make a spinach lasagna and get it in the oven, before the hungry kids get home.

Food today -
meal 1- full fat Greek yogurt, hand full of pecan maple granola and drizzle of honey
meal 2- lunch at fancy sushi place, I had the hibachi chicken bento box, clear soup, salad, chicken and vegetables and fried rice, also hot green tea.
meal 3- low carb spinach lasagna (no noodles), glass of milk
Last edited by Horker Stew on Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eeyore

Post by Eeyore » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:57 pm

Hello There!!!

I'm also on Day 3!!! Welcome to the NoS family!!!!

Good Luck!!! Take it one day at a time.

KL

Post by KL » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:25 am

Welcome - :) So glad you decided to try NoS out. You will find the boards a great resource for accountability and support. You're off to a great start!
"Everything is permissible for me - but not everything is beneficial...I will not be mastered by anything." 1 Cor 6:12

Horker Stew

Day 4

Post by Horker Stew » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:04 am

Hi Eeyore and KL thank you for driving the welcome wagon by!
I've been reading and lurking and this seems to be a very very smart BB. What interesting people seem to find their way here.

So, Thursday, we leave for a regatta tomorrow right after school so I need to do a bit of grocery shopping and cooking today and lots of laundry, make sure all the kid's "crew wear" is clean. I also need at least 6 hours at my desk. Hmmm.

My food plan today is to make a smoothie before I head out the door and call it breakfast, I have mango blueberries chia seeds and some strange German protein powder that tastes odd but makes my stomach very happy.
Lunch will be whatever is in the fridge at the studio, I know there is yogurt, some veggies, hot dogs. I'll just construct a plate.
dinner is looking like coconut crusted chicken tenders and broccoli salad at the kid's request.

It's rainy and cold here, spring in the Southern Mountains. I will have herbal tea going all day.

hope everyone has a great day!

SpiritSong

Post by SpiritSong » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:48 pm

Welcome, and best of luck on the journey! :D

Eeyore

Post by Eeyore » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:36 am

Ok the coconut crusted chicken tenders sounds awesome!!!! Do you mind posting the recipe?

Horker Stew

I made it

Post by Horker Stew » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:01 pm

through the wilderness...

Well, I made it through the kid's regatta and the Thursday and Friday before.
I think the only moment I wasn't sure if I was within the rules was when I had a coconut water on Thursday. It was 5:00, I was hungry and feeling depleted. I was shopping at Whole Foods and it was the best choice I could find at that moment.

Thursday meals
Protein shake and cottage cheese with raspberries

Hot dogs, cheese cubes apple sauce (or what was in the fridge at work)
Then questionable coconut water

Planned food was coconut chicken, we ended up at Waffle House when the kids practice and boat loading went really long in the pouring rain
I ordered a sausage egg and cheese sandwich and cut it in half, I also had some hashbrowns and a diet coke. Considering the damage I can do at the Waffle - I felt in control and left feeling comfortable. My husband ate my other half a sandwich for lunch on Friday.

Friday Meals
Plain Greek yogurt, granola and honey with a mini croissant roll on the side

Low carb lasagna with steamed broccoli

Bourbon glazed salmon and roasted spaghetti squash, small green salad
This was eating with the team at Ruby Tuesday's. I was sated and felt like I made a good choice, also eating with athletes so that group sets a good example.
I also had a Sam Adams.

Saturday - Automatic success - no super craziness, Regatta day is exhausting, we arrive at 6:30 Am and leave at 7 PM. So much walking, we had 7 races to follow with our kids in them and we would walk from launch to the finish line to the recovery docks for each one. Also Clemson has a wicked hill on the way to the boat house from the parking area and we had to do that walk several time to retrieve forgotten items etc. I actually ate two discreet plates of healthy rower food and also some carrot chips and a few little almond cookies and a handful of chocolate covered pomegranate seeds.
The big splurge for me was sweetened coffee drinks, the parent's tent is stocked with those Starbucks bottled lattes and I had two of those throughout the day.

We ate dinner at Wendy's around 8PM - the kids need a quick 1000 calories, they are totally basically zombies by the end. I picked a grilled chicken flatbread thing and enjoyed the fries and momentarily considered a frostie but decided against it.
In any case pretty non-crazy day- I'm sunburned and sore today but not bloated with regret.

Today is another auto win. I am supposed to catch up with a girlfriend over lunch and I need to make those coconut chicken tenders before the chicken goes bad, so that will be dinner. Not sure on breakfast and no planned treats. though I have been thinking that ice cream sounds good.

This week will be crazy because I will spend today and Monday getting everything washed and the usual weekly chores done and then by Thursday I will be packing for another regatta in TN. I need to get a meal plan together and grocery shopping done.

In the good news area - I attended teacher conferences for my tenth grader (who has severe learning disabilities) and she is doing better that I can remember, even in her two honors classes and she seems to be a savant at chemistry, no accommodations have been necessary so far and she has an A. She is such a great kid, so much heart, but everything is really hard for her and she does this completely exhausting sport with her free time, so I was so glad to see she is balancing things well. And maybe more importantly, I was glad to hear how much her teachers like her and that she is so positive and kind. They described her as always happy. Can a parent ask for more? She gives us no trouble of the teenage kind, she has told me life is already too hard to invent problems for herself.
Now my seventh grader may be another story, but at least this first child is feeling good and accomplished.

Eeyore

Post by Eeyore » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:25 pm

You are definitely a busy bee and held it together extremely well. You should be very proud of yourself.

Happy to hear your child is doing well in school and is well liked by one of her teachers.

I'm thinking if milk is suggested to get you through to the next meal coconut water shouldn't be an issue...but that's just my thought.

Keep up the good work! You also did better than I would have at Waffle House...hehe!

Horker Stew

Post by Horker Stew » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:02 am

So week one down.

I really had no trouble this week, I think it might have just been hormonally a good week to start.

I will weigh in tomorrow, but honestly my pants are tight. We ate out a LOT this week, I'm going to try to pare it back to one lunch out since we have another regatta and therefor 2 days of road food coming up.

Today was a non-wild S day -
meal 1 - 100 calorie pack of dark chocolate sunflower seeds
meal 2 - chinese buffet, one plate of food and one plate of fruit and dessert
meal 3 - coconut chicken tenders, green beans and celery and carrot sticks

treat - Italian almond cookies, sliced apple and hot tea.

I'm stuffed and anticipating no more food today.

I am having thoughts about walking in the mornings or afternoons this week, the weather will be beautiful. I don't want to commit to too many things at once though. If I can have food planned well in advance for dinner its pretty easy for me to walk around the Lake my kids row at on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday. I have two hours to wait and not much to do.

Beyond that my house is a ridiculous mess and my daughter has pink eye, 2 weeks after my son did, so I will have to bleach all the things!

I am still trying to get a good feel for how much will keep me full from lunch to dinner.

Horker Stew

Post by Horker Stew » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:14 pm

Scale subterfuge-
So Monday is the day I weigh in. I have been 218-222 for a very very long time.
This morning I am 225.4. My wedding ring is a bit tight, I feel bloated and unwell.

My best guess is that this was my first non-low carb week in a few months and that the sodium in the chinese food on Sunday was higher than I am used to. I will try to be a bit more mindful with my three plates and get my veggie intake higher.

I have a meal plan for the next few days and a grocery list.

Monday- turkey meatloaf, steamed asparagus, mashed potatoes (I may make mashed cauliflower for myself)

Tuesday- pasta primavera with a carbonara sauce (I like zucchini noodles)
will probably add some kind of garlic bread

Wednesday - Grilling chicken and veggie kabobs, brown rice pilaf and salad

Thursday - bacon cheeseburgers on the grill, sweet potato fries and broccoli salad.

Friday - On the road in TN

So, otherwise I'm just struggling with diet chatter in my head.

food today - scrambled eggs with spicy cheese 1/2 whole wheat bagel w cream cheese

big green salad with sliced coconut chicken over it and honey mustard dressing, apples and pecans

meatloaf, asparagus, mashed cauliflower with cheese and sour cream

So, not low carb planning but keeping to one major carbohydrate plus fruit each day is my goal. I need those intelligent dietary defaults. I'd like to have like 4 breakfast that i enjoy and have a low glycemic load and a good amount of protein.

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:35 pm

Sounds like a good meal plan! :D I wouldn't worry about the scale too much. I reckon that many of us find that it goes up some for a day or so after the weekend due to the added sodium, sweets, etc. I find that if I stick with my meal plan during the week, it lowers and drops as the weekdays pass by.

Horker Stew

Post by Horker Stew » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:10 pm

Thank you Sophia. I am wondering if maybe I should weigh on Fridays - give myself time to readjust from the weekend.

Today has been hard. I am feeling run down and my plans for the day were completely turned around by a sick kid. I also feel like I disappointed someone and that makes me have big feelings of guilt and shame, even though kids getting sick is nothing I can control.

I haven't been hungry today, until the last few minutes and the meatloaf is smelling really good. I feel like I want a huge plate of it with all the parsley potatoes I can fit and maybe some glazed carrots or peas. I'm not that hungry. I'm just emotionally uncomfortable and so I want to feel full.

I think today will be green, my motivation is pretty high right now. I am surrounded with sweets, Easter leftovers, donuts my daughter brought home from a fundraiser... I'm really glad that I got off the sugar before starting this as my needs are clearly emotional and not physical withdrawl.

I am trying to decide wether I should make special food, ie mashed cauliflower or eat the potatoes with everyone else. I think I have become fearful of carbohydrates and I have trouble with moderation.

KL

Post by KL » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:31 pm

I know the challenge of adding carbs back in after being low carb - fear can really wreck havoc. Add a little at a time - just like you are doing - and your body will eventually adjust.

Good for you for recognizing it's emotional hunger - it can be easy to stay in denial regarding that.

Some people weigh several days in a row and take the average - and some people weigh on Friday or Saturday after a week of N days and others weigh monthly or quarterly. You'll find what suits you best - try not to overthink it. Progress, right?
"Everything is permissible for me - but not everything is beneficial...I will not be mastered by anything." 1 Cor 6:12

No BS

Post by No BS » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:03 am

Horker Stew wrote:I'm just emotionally uncomfortable and so I want to feel full.
Good menus & planning, Horker Stew; and most excellent self-analysis. :wink: All of which will serve you well in achieving your goals.

I hope your sick kid is feeling better, that will take some pressure off of you. :)
If you are not living life on the edge you are taking up too much room!!

Horker Stew

Post by Horker Stew » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:26 pm

Thank you NoBS - I have been lurking in your journal, you are positively inspiring and a wonderful writer.

KL- the good food/bad food regimented thinking is hard to get past. People who write about intuitive eating fascinate me. I have no faith in my food intuition at this point, making picking my three plates a bit wrought with anxiety.

Soooo, Failure last night
You know, I could feel myself getting a little overwhelmed and anxious, I even wrote about it above. I decided to have a glass of wine, to "relax" and the only thing it relaxed was my resistance to over-eating.

I dont feel terrible about it. In some twisted way, I'm glad to have that first fail behind me. And, I feel predictably crappy this morning, at least physically.

So, I'm home with the girl-child today. She has double-pink eye and a very runny nose/ body aches. I am hoping her eyes look better when she wakes up as she will be several eye drop doses in at this point. She has a major Civics paper due on assisted suicide, so I think she will be deep in the google all day. She needs to go to rowing to keep her seat in her boat at this next regatta, so lets hope she is well enough. The boy-child is well, allergies but it is Spring!
I need to disinfect the house today, I was thinking about making a spray bottle with grapefruit seed extract diluted in water. Or maybe clorox wipes to make it easy.

Food planned
2 eggs fried
bacon, raspberry kefir

chili, cornbread muffin, sour cream and cheese

grilled chicken skewers, broccoli salad

I am also making banana bread and rice pilaf for the kids, as long as I am stuck at home, I should be productive.

Horker Stew

Post by Horker Stew » Fri May 31, 2013 4:26 pm

I'm back - I think I will start a June thread or maybe a non-month specific thread.

Well I have been sort of playing with No S for 6 weeks now - Some weeks I'm all green and then I can't seem to have a single good day for a week - it's a bit baffling.
I have noticed that the weeks that are easy, no major willpower, necessary, it's just what I do... those weeks I dont spend a lot of time thinking about or talking about or writing about my food intake. I do not know what the causal relationship is there.

So, let's see I've lost about 8 pounds, I was 220 this morning and I got up to 228 at one point. We are on Summer break and that should mean much less stress, no homework and a more reasonable rowing schedule. I am hoping to just sort of coast through the next three months and hit Birthday 42 in October possibly under 200 pounds. The weeks that I stick with it, I lose 2 pounds or so. So, obviously I need do more of that.

I am also really really determined to make this a lifetime change. My daughter who is 16 recently told us she has been dieting and at 5 foot 6 and 104 pounds, that would be anorexia knocking at our door. It's very upsetting, she is such a beautiful person, inside and out. Everyone thinks that their kids are perfect, but my girl, she is everyone's favorite. I guess she has been internalizing a lot of that pressure to be good and perfect. She started therapy last week and has already gained 4 pounds back. She loves to eat and has always had a wicked metabolism so just skipping lunch while I wasn't looking was enough to drop a few pounds a week. I think she is quite happy to be eating everything in sight again.
I just want her to see her mother eating reasonably, moderately, she has watched me do keto and WW and a crazy 500 calorie a day HCG thing... It's just a terrible example to be setting for both my kids.

So, that's where I am at.
I'm mostly having yummy smoothies for breakfast and dinner leftovers for lunch or a big hearty salad and dinner is whatever dinner is. I cook 5 nights a week. I feel like I'm falling into a good groove.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:17 pm

I hope you consider just keeping this thread going. I think there's a way to change the name, if you like. But it can be helpful for others to see the history.

That is scary about your daughter. I'm 5' 6", and I haven't weighed 104 since I was 10 years old.

I agree that the more she sees you eating "normally," enjoying your food, moving moderately, and diverting conversations away from the cultural obsession with thinness and appearances, the better. However, she is also on her own journey in life, so it's not all on you to "fix" her.

I hope you're not too concerned with not having it all down after 6 weeks. A lot of people give up prematurely because of that and a lot come back a year or two later, sorry they quit when they did. You can start an exercise program no matter where you're at. Exercise might actually help.

We're on your side!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Horker Stew

Post by Horker Stew » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:48 pm

N-day fun abounds.
I had a lazy, lazy weekend. I had a fabulous dinner at a new restauraunt. I baked potato chip cookies and cut up a whole watermelon and snacked all the live-long day. But now it's back to the 3 plate structure. I'm kind of relieved.

So, I need to do meal planning and grocery shopping this morning.
Food planned for today is
1- farmhouse scramble, eggs, cheese, sausage, peppers and onions
2- big green protein smoothie (almond milk, whey protein, spinach, banana, kiwi, chia seeds)
3- pork chops, baked potatoes, succotash

Iced-coffee in the afternoon

Cooking ahead today - zucchini- almond flour muffins
Roasted butternut squash for soup

I am ready for 5 days of good food choices!

Horker Stew

Post by Horker Stew » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:54 pm

oolala53 wrote:I hope you're not too concerned with not having it all down after 6 weeks. A lot of people give up prematurely because of that and a lot come back a year or two later, sorry they quit when they did. You can start an exercise program no matter where you're at. Exercise might actually help.

We're on your side!
Thank you, for your kind and considerate comment.

My sense of things is that after many years of dieting, I am just starting to get it. I needed the clarity that three meals a day provides. I think I still have a lot more to learn and I am Ok with this journey lasting a few years perhaps and probably being the way I will eat forever. My impatience for change and payoff is huge so this acceptance is a big step. I still have a little feeling of grief perhaps for the loss of over-eating. I am not sure why that is, but that pang of sadness when I contemplate no-S for the long haul makes me think that I still have a lot of diet mind to unravel.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:21 pm

Oh, my, I felt enough grief at the thought of the loss of overeating on S days that I couldn't face ANY mods for a couple of years! It didn't make any sense at the time (still doesn't) because I loved my N days so much, but I didn't push it, either. I'll never know if it could have been different, but I suspect not.

Your food sounds great, but especially that squash soup!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Horker Stew

Post by Horker Stew » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:55 pm

Some days I am in the mood to eat really healthy and other days I really feel like I need a cheeseburger. I guess the beauty of NoS is that it contains the bad days in a moderate structure most of the time.

So I might say on a Monday morning, salads for lunch all week! And then on Wednesday end up at a Thai place, not eating a salad. W ell the rules of my eating plan are still being followed and I am much less likely to have a what the hell incident.

It is going to take time. I cook for 4 and work so I have to plan and shop ahead. I think eventually a lot of good choices will make a difference and having this framework of eating opportunities will act as a sort of insurance.
Sometimes, I think about how I have eaten at other points in my life and my bad days are really quite good in comparison now, watermelon and homemade cookies. It wasn't two boxes of little Debby snack cakes.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:06 pm

Horker Stew wrote:Sometimes, I think about how I have eaten at other points in my life and my bad days are really quite good in comparison...
After 2 1/2 years of No S, I am still saying this. My worst day now was nothing in comparision to ongoing daily overeating back then.
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:19 pm

Little Debby and I used to be good friends, too. Haven't had one of those for years!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Horker Stew

Post by Horker Stew » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:25 pm

They are pretty vile. My son brought home an oatmeal cream pie from school not too long ago and we split it.
All I could taste was the chemicals, and I remember when other people would say they were disgusting and I though, what food snobs!
I had a thing for the Swiss cake rolls too and the hydrogenated chocolate skin that would stick to the white cardboard underneath them.
I couldn't imagine a day when I would turn them down, gives me hope for the future. I can be retrained!

Horker Stew

Post by Horker Stew » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:35 pm

So, I deviated from my plan, and I'm noting it here. After grocery shopping for all these beautiful fruits and veggies, I didn't want to pulverize them in a smoothie.

I made my daughter and I roast beef and muenster sandwiches with lettuce and heirloom tomatoes and horseradish mayo on a 9 grain bread. I cut up celery, carrots and cucumber and put a few on my plate as well as a gorgeous S.Carolina peach.

It is a big lunch, but dinner isn't till 8 tonight, so probably a good idea.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:22 pm

A reasonable, moderate meal. No S faithful. Still sounds like a green day to me.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Horker Stew

Post by Horker Stew » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:31 pm

Back to the N-days. It was a pretty wild weekend. I feel bloated and remorseful and a bit discouraged.

I feel like my mood has bottomed out a bit too, nothing bad is happening, kids are good, husband seems good, starting a new project at work, which is always exciting. I even managed to see all my close girlfriends over the last week for meals and good, long conversations. Two texted me afterwards to tell me they loved and appreciated me. I am very lucky. So, I dont know why I am in this low energy, looking for problems place.

So, this week, kids are both home with no activities planned. If I leave them to their own devices, they will start fighting by Tuesday and both be depressed and bored. So, I need to come up with some things to do.

I have not done meal planning or groceries yet. My daughter just told me she was going to be quitting wheat because it makes her feel gross. I know I need to plan meals around that and make sure she is getting a lot of calories from other carbs. I guess I should check the Paleo sites for ideas. But, I am not excited by it.

Last week was 4 good days + one bad and a lot of food over the weekend. I was snacking like a fiend last night, trying to address anxiety and discomfort.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:45 pm

Hmm, no wheat for daughter is a complication. I don't blame you about not being excited. I find I get very anxious about food and lose my cool when I look too much at food restrictions. I don't think the Paleo sites will be much help for other grains. I was under the impression they are no-grains. I went to a friend's practice presentation (she's taking a nutrition course with an obvious anti-grain bias) last week and all the following grains were considered hard to digest completely. Go figure! They are from http://www.advancednaturalmedicine.com/ ... wheat.html, which claims otherwise regarding digestibility.

begin quote: Amaranth: This grain is one of the most common wheat substitutes you’ll find. It contains more protein than wheat, is an excellent source of lysine, and unlike most grains, is highly digestible. You will see amaranth in baked goods and breads that are wheat and gluten-free.

Buckwheat berries: Don’t let the name fool you, this grain is neither buck nor wheat. It is from a plant in the rhubarb family. You will see this grain also as kasha or kashi. It is most commonly cooked into hot cereal. Buckwheat flour is also used in pancakes, bread and soba noodles.

Millet: This grain is popular everywhere in the world but the United States. It can be cooked into breakfast grits and is a good replacement for breadcrumbs in casseroles, croquettes and other side dishes. This happens to be my bread of choice because I like toast, and it tastes great toasted. My local market carries it combined with zucchini or raisins.

Quinoa: Whether you pronounce it keenwa or kwinoa, it is often referred to as a wonder grain. Quinoa is high in protein, easy to digest, and quick to cook. Always rinse and drain it before cooking or it will have a bitter taste. Cook and use as you would rice. It is also found as any number of pastas, from spaghetti to macaroni.

Rice: What was once eaten only with Chinese take-out or as an occasional substitute for potatoes, rice has come into it’s own in America. Most of the world eats rice as a staple carbohydrate. And now, with gluten-free and wheat-free preferences becoming more popular, rice flour, rice crackers and other uses for rice are common on supermarket shelves. This is my favorite gluten-free pasta.

Don’t forget to also add more fruits and vegetables into your diet for fiber and nutrients. end quote

Sounds like it might be time for your daughter to learn some cooking?
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Horker Stew

Post by Horker Stew » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:31 am

Oolala - I made her do the meal planning and shopping with me this week. She does not seem to enjoy kitchen time the way my son does, he is already making meals for us.

Yesterday was one of those easier days when meal times snuck up on me and I hadn't really gotten hungry yet.
1- healthy waffles with almond butter and maple syrup
2- Mexican chicken stew over rice with cheese, sour cream and tortilla strips
3- Quorn nuggets, green beans, baby lettuce salad, waffle fries and home made honey mustard dressing.

My 12 yo son is doing No-S with me, he seems to have my issues with emotional and boredom eating. He deffinitely leans towards being a little too heavy but he is also in a crazy growth spurt and getting huge from all the rowing he's been doing for the past year. He is going to be a big guy, not just tall but broad, big hands and feet and legs already. With the less frequent and less intense summer workout schedule he has been gaining weight rather quickly around his belly and he want to reverse that trend. He did great yesterday, was appropriately hungry, had a glass of milk around 4. Then he told me at bedtime that his goal was to do it all summer. He made a calendar and put it on the fridge.
My goal is to keep him feeling this positive through the inevitable harder days as enthusiasm wanes.

Today should be as easy as yesterday. I am making bacon and eggs when the kids get up and I have a crockpot of spiced apples cooking to put on oatmeal or yogurt. There is another lunch of the Mexican chicken stew left in the fridge and dinner is turkey tetrazzini over zucchini noodles and some salad on the side. It's a rowing night (6-8) so I guess my son will need to have some kind of protein drink, smoothie or something to get him from lunch time through a workout and to an 8:30 dinner. If we can keep it liquid though, that would be best.
I will eat when I need to, sometimes I have no trouble waiting until they get home and sometimes I need to eat by 7 or I get really uncomfortably hungry.

Horker Stew

Post by Horker Stew » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:20 pm

I'm having a good week so far. Having my son do this with me is surprisingly great. He's such a wonderful little guy. I thought I'd be supporting him but he seems to be supporting me more. He's also walking with me, 3 mornings in a row. He is a morning person and chats with me the whole time, we walk 30 minutes in no time. I don't think it hits him as much exercise, he runs miles for rowing work outs, he goes with me to keep me company. I huff and puff up the hills and he examines flowers and runs back down to show them to me then back up like it's nothing.

I feel good about teaching him a tool for moderation, rather than a diet. My husband has said he really wished someone had shown him this system at 13. He's a skinny adult but was a heavy teenager and young adult.

My daughters wheat free experiment continues, she seems to be doing Ok. Good thing that she likes smoothies and vegetables.

So, yesterday
1- Greek yogurt sprinkled with Kashi go Lean cereal
2- Mexican chicken stew and tortilla chips
3- turkey tetrazzini over zucchini noodles

Today
1-spinach coconut smoothie and GF raisin toast
2- whole foods salad bar
3- eating out with my Mother in Law, she wants Mexican food

I have chicken thighs defrosting to make honey sesame chicken in the crock pot tomorrow, a kid request.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:45 pm

That is so cute about your son keeping you company!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23