Daily Check In: Anonymous-Coward

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Anonymous-Coward

Daily Check In: Anonymous-Coward

Post by Anonymous-Coward » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:39 pm

Right. I think it's time for one of these.
I managed three plus months of green days last year.

Time to get back to where I was. Nothing feels a freeing as 'No S'.
Hopefully this daily check in will help keep me accountable, until I get to the stage when I don't need it. 8)

I'll try to update every night - just before bed.

I'm a six foot tall, 20 year old male University student living at home.
I'm not overweight (never have been), but have (and still do to a lesser degree) suffer(ed) from binge eating, following a period of restrictive eating a few years ago.
I see 'No S' as THE way to get all of my food issues under control.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Template:
TUESDAY 9TH APRIL (2013) Green Day

Breakfast:
Lunch:
Dinner:

Notes:
Last edited by Anonymous-Coward on Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:04 am, edited 3 times in total.

Anonymous-Coward

Post by Anonymous-Coward » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:48 pm

TUESDAY 9TH APRIL (2013) Green Day

Breakfast:
Lunch: Cheese and ham sandwich (3 slices of bread) 2 spoons of ratatouille
Dinner: Fries and 1/2 steak patty

Notes:
Woke up late. Didn't have breakfast.

Had a few periods of wanting to snack out of habit. But nothing too hard to manage.

Had two glasses of milk. One between breakfast and lunch. One after dinner. Maybe needed them due to no breakfast. Probably about eight glasses of water too.

Went to a church event this evening after dinner. The snacks (sweet and savoury) were plentiful. Didn't feel to deprived saying 'no'. We brought some home - So might have some tomorrow (if it's still there, that is :lol: )

MJ7910

Post by MJ7910 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:02 am

sounds like you are off to a great start!
Current BMI: 22.9. Height: 5'4.5"
Highest BMI: 25.5 in August 2011.
Lowest adult BMI: 20.8 in February 2012.

Anonymous-Coward

Post by Anonymous-Coward » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:02 pm

WEDNESDAY 10TH APRIL (2013) Green Day

Breakfast: 2 small slices of pizza (saved from yesterday) and a sausage sandwich
Lunch: 1 slice of pizza and an egg sandwich
Dinner: slice of chicken pie and homemade spicy baked wedges

Notes:
Had a glass of milk after breakfast, and half a glass after dinner.

Had a few moments of wanting to snack. But nothing too much to handle.
I don't like eating much after dinner anyway.. So that's never too big a problem for me.

My past experience of No S is making it easier for me.

All in all a good day. As I said, I'm not really looking to lose weight. So while my plates aren't ultra 'healthy' right now - Atleast it's been what I've actually wanted to eat. And I haven't counted calories, whatsoever. Feels good to be 'home' :)

Anonymous-Coward

Post by Anonymous-Coward » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:06 pm

MJ7910 wrote:sounds like you are off to a great start!
Thank you for checking my 'check in' out :)
Yeah. I hope to get through a good few weeks, getting this habit back down. I felt so free when I was on this back last summer.

SpiritSong

Post by SpiritSong » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:09 pm

Anonymous-Coward wrote: My past experience of No S is making it easier for me.
I found this to be true for myself as well. And knowing that it works for me (to lower my excessive weight) makes it easier too.

KL

Post by KL » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:31 pm

Anonymous-Coward wrote: Atleast it's been what I've actually wanted to eat. And I haven't counted calories, whatsoever.
Yay :!: Not many people can say that when they've started a new "plan." :)
"Everything is permissible for me - but not everything is beneficial...I will not be mastered by anything." 1 Cor 6:12

Anonymous-Coward

Post by Anonymous-Coward » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:19 pm

THURSAY 11TH APRIL (2013) Green Day

Breakfast: Tuna melt (toastie) and two slices of toast
Lunch: Tuna omelette (1 egg, 2 whites) and curry sauce
Dinner: Homebaked chips, and Pork and aubergine stew.

Notes:
Had three half glasses of milk.

Was quite a tough day in terms of No S. Was stuck at home all day with an assignment to do. I have work this weekend, so I couldn't join my family, who went away for a break for few days. I was home alone, and the day was rather long and boring.

Between each meal I felt, not so much the urge to snack, but to binge (atleast I think) Serious urges. Usually I succumb to the urge.
It was particularly strong after dinner, when I got to the point where I had to sniff some chocolate cookies. :oops:

Luckily, some friends came over this evening, and it took my mind off food completely.

It was a trying day for me. But somehow I did it. I knew, for certain, that if I even ate one morsel of chocolate or 'sweet' - It would have led to a full blown binge.
I think the more I resist when the urge to binge strikes, the easier it will become.. Until hopefully, it's no longer there.

I'm fully aware that I'll have more urges of this kind to fight along the way - But today, I've shown myself I can do it - And as I put my head down to rest - I feel great :D

It was this type of thing that led to me giving up No s last summer. And by the looks of it , now, hopefully, I'm back stronger.
Last edited by Anonymous-Coward on Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous-Coward

Post by Anonymous-Coward » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:02 am

KL wrote:
Anonymous-Coward wrote: Atleast it's been what I've actually wanted to eat. And I haven't counted calories, whatsoever.
Yay :!: Not many people can say that when they've started a new "plan." :)
It's nice to accept the fact that - Some days I'll overeat on calories, and some days I'll undereat. Like most of us did naturally as children (when we had no knowledge of calories).
I know that it will even out in the long run. Calories wont control me.

No BS

Post by No BS » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:01 am

Well, you may be Anonymous but you certainly are not a Coward!! :wink:

Good work sniffing the cookie instead of eating it! :lol: When I quit cigarettes I used to borrow friends unlit smokes and sniff them, too. :D

You're doing good. The weekend is almost here! :wink:
If you are not living life on the edge you are taking up too much room!!

Anonymous-Coward

Re: Daily Check In: Anonymous-Coward

Post by Anonymous-Coward » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:33 am

I'm knackered. Just got back from work at 3am, but had to do this before bed :D
FRIDAY 12TH APRIL (2013) Green Day

Breakfast: Turkey curry sandwich, and the remaining handful of last night's homemade chips
Lunch: French fries and 3 southern fried chicken wings
Dinner: Aubergine and pork stew

Notes:
Was a much smoother day. I woke up feeling good, having resisted Thursday's urges.

Had 3 half cups of milk again, spread throughout the day. Lots of water, too.

I didn't really have any urges to binge today. Which doesn't overly surprise me. They tend to come strong once a week, or so. And when, in the past, I have succumbed to the urges- it's almost always led to atleast a week-long binging problem. Basically - binges led to more binges.
The more I acknowledge the urges, when they arrive, and resist - The strong I'll become against it.

Looking foward to this weekend. I was on No S Last summer (for about three months). And I'd say about 95% of my S days were horrific.

This will be my first S day since starting my Daily Check InSo hopefully things go well..
And I have a good feeling they will. The plan is to stick to three meals if possible... And I've bought some nice mini apple pies, to eat with some custard and ice cream tomorrow. :wink:

Anonymous-Coward

Post by Anonymous-Coward » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:46 am

No BS wrote:Well, you may be Anonymous but you certainly are not a Coward!! :wink:

Good work sniffing the cookie instead of eating it! :lol: When I quit cigarettes I used to borrow friends unlit smokes and sniff them, too. :D

You're doing good. The weekend is almost here! :wink:
I even surprised myself with my resistance....
Usually - the urge strikes, and I almost give in, just to avoid having to fight the urge anymore.. The urge is usually enough to make up my mind.. And it's like I become another person completely.

So to not succumb, is a massive deal for me. :D

I think that the more I resist these urges when they come again (and they will, for sure), the less of an impact they'll have over time.. I look forward to a time when these urges are so blunt they're almost non-existant.

If that means sniffing cookies for now - So be it.

Anonymous-Coward

Post by Anonymous-Coward » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:54 pm

SATURDAY 13TH APRIL (2013) S Day

Breakfast: ----
Lunch: ----
Dinner: ----

Notes:
S Day :D
Probably snacked a bit too much today.
Had a good few chocolate biscuits and mini chocolates as well as my planned Apple pie, cusatrd and ice cream.

But stuck, pretty well, to three meals otherwise.

Wasn't a 'great' day. But, I'd say better than most of last summer's S Days. So a positive.

I'd say the number of sweets I ate toady; I would have eaten in the space of just one and a half days off No S.
So, even if I carried on with two weekly S Days like I had today, my consumption of sweets would be down on a weekly basis.

But, I'm sure in time, they'll get to where I want them to be.
I probably ate my first sweet a little too early today, and that caused me problems for the rest of the day.

I'm going to my Aunty's house tomorrow, for a Birthday bash - Should be good.
Last edited by Anonymous-Coward on Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

childoftheking

Post by childoftheking » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:55 am

Congratulations on your green week and most importantly your positive attitude! This kind of attitude is hard to find and especially in young adults as you are. :!:
Congratulations again for your great week!

Anonymous-Coward

Post by Anonymous-Coward » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:10 am

childoftheking wrote:Congratulations on your green week and most importantly your positive attitude! This kind of attitude is hard to find and especially in young adults as you are. :!:
Congratulations again for your great week!
Thank you very much for popping by. I've actually tried to cut down on visiting this site. I'm trying to only visit it once a day (just before bed): otherwise I can spend too long on here... I want to spend less time reading about food etc. And more time enjoying life on No S :D.

But every now and then; if things get difficult; I do take a peek.. And comments that people leave me, really do make a difference.

So 'Thank you'; and a 'Thank you' to everyone else :D
Last edited by Anonymous-Coward on Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous-Coward

Post by Anonymous-Coward » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:19 am

SUNDAY 14TH APRIL (2013) S Day

Notes:
Had a nice day. After church we went to my Aunty's house for my cousin's Birthday 8).
There was lots of great food. And it felt great not having a restrictive 'Diet cloud' over my head on a day like this.
Today, I could really feel the advantages of having S Days: Essentially, there's little point in trying to avoid sweet treats completely, at a big social gathering like today's.

Probably ate too much again. However, I'm not going to bed gassy and bloated; which I did many, many times on No S last summer.

I overindulged; But I'd say it was enjoyable. The food was great, and to be honest everyone there overindulged abit.. It's life. It's still going to happen on occasion - even when I'm a seasoned No S veteran :lol:

I'm genuinely looking forward to tommorow, with all it's simplicities. I feel like I need a break from sweets :shock: Crazy I know.
Last edited by Anonymous-Coward on Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:32 am

It is great to be able to enjoy occasional indulgences without overdoing it and without feeling guilty isn't it ?! It does not have to be all or nothing any more!
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

Anonymous-Coward

Post by Anonymous-Coward » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:21 pm

MONDAY 15TH APRIL (2013) Green Day

Breakfast: Turkey curry sandwich, and two slices of toast. :oops:
Lunch: Chicken wings
Dinner:
Mashed potato, mixed veg, and chicken pie.

Notes:

A relatively straightforward Green day. :D

My Dad was away for work, and my Mum had to go work. My younger siblings, like me, don't start back until Tuesday: So, it was me at home with them today.

It wasn't the most ideal breakfast (I had an early dentist appointment; so had to whip up a quick plate) - But I was kept full until lunchtime.

Had two half-glasses of milk, and around six or seven glasses of water.

Not really much more to say: Which I guess is a good thing :wink:
Last edited by Anonymous-Coward on Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous-Coward

Post by Anonymous-Coward » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:24 pm

r.jean wrote:It is great to be able to enjoy occasional indulgences without overdoing it and without feeling guilty isn't it ?! It does not have to be all or nothing any more!
It is indeed great. And, like you said, it doesn't have to be all or nothing... Which, for me, it has been in the past.

The desserts on Sunday were that bit tastier - without a side of guilt to accompany them :P

Anonymous-Coward

Post by Anonymous-Coward » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:54 pm

TUESDAY 16TH APRIL (2013) Green Day

Breakfast: Turkey sandwich, and a small piece of Chicken pie (last night's leftover)
Dinner: Chicken wings - with two slices of bread, to make a sandwich

Notes:
Tuesday is my long day at University. And I also have a double class during lunch hours; so I prefer to just skip lunch, and grab a bottle of strawberry milk instead. I bulked up my dinner a bit, to compensate.

It was a busy day, thus I rarely felt 'hungry' or peckish. Funny how that works :wink:

I did have thoughts, after eating dinner, to snack on something.. But for me 'snacking' and 'binging' are pretty much synonymous. Eating anything at all would have led to a binge - atleast if my past experiences are anything to go by. The urge left within minutes.

All in all, another quite straightforward green day :D

Tomorrow is my late start, so I'll have the time for more substantial meals.

MJ7910

Post by MJ7910 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:24 am

Anonymous-Coward wrote:TUESDAY 16TH APRIL (2013) Green Day

Breakfast: Turkey sandwich, and a small piece of Chicken pie (last night's leftover)
Dinner: Chicken wings - with two slices of bread, to make a sandwich

Notes:
Tuesday is my long day at University. And I also have a double class during lunch hours; so I prefer to just skip lunch, and grab a bottle of strawberry milk instead. I bulked up my dinner a bit, to compensate.

It was a busy day, thus I rarely felt 'hungry' or peckish. Funny how that works :wink:

I did have thoughts, after eating dinner, to snack on something.. But for me 'snacking' and 'binging' are pretty much synonymous. Eating anything at all would have led to a binge - atleast if my past experiences are anything to go by. The urge left within minutes.

All in all, another quite straightforward green day :D

Tomorrow is my late start, so I'll have the time for more substantial meals.
yes this is my same problem with snacking. usually leads to bingeing. so i don't snack much on sdays. at least i didn't at first. now i am slowly learning to enjoy sday snacks. but it did stay in my mind for a long time as a free for all.
Current BMI: 22.9. Height: 5'4.5"
Highest BMI: 25.5 in August 2011.
Lowest adult BMI: 20.8 in February 2012.

Anonymous-Coward

Post by Anonymous-Coward » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:15 am

MJ7910 wrote: yes this is my same problem with snacking. usually leads to bingeing. so i don't snack much on sdays. at least i didn't at first. now i am slowly learning to enjoy sday snacks. but it did stay in my mind for a long time as a free for all.
Yeah. I've started to realise that the more I delay my sweets on Sdays - the less of them I eat. The days when I've waited until 5pm or so - I have had my most enjoyable S Days.

Snacking in general just has weird effect on me. I don't think I ever manage to undereat when snacking. I almost always overeat.
I can't snack moderately. It's pretty much either no snacking at all, or snacking to excess.
1 turns into 2, turns into 6, by which point, I'm aware I've consumed too much - So binge. Stopping at one snack (say a chocolate biscuit) is near enough impossible for me. I believe that the bingeing over the years has probably changed the internal reaction my body has to sweets, for worse.

So I'm trying to make my S Day treats substantial enough to satisfy my sweet tooth, without making me crave more.

Anonymous-Coward

Post by Anonymous-Coward » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:36 am

WEDNESDAY 18TH APRIL (2013) Green Day

Breakfast: Tuna melt (Tuna and cheese toastie), and bowl of oatmeal
Lunch: Sausage and egg sandwich
Dinner: Tuna sandwich

Notes:

Was a little hungrier than usual today. Had breakfast at about 10; and by about 12 I felt ready for lunch. I was close to caving in and grabbing a chocolatey snack of sorts. But, I didn't. I popped some sausages in the oven, and ate at about 13:15 ish. Trouble navigated. :D

But, at around 14:15ish I felt a strong urge to have one of the chocolate biscuits from the pack sitting unopened on top of the cake tin (my mum had left them there) I opened the wrapper picked one up and put it to my mouth. I put it down. Somehow.

I think part of it was not wanting to come on here and admit to it. Part of it was knowing that if I ate one bite, I'd likely eat the whole pack (and have no choice but to buy a new one before my mum got back from work) plus I'd likely eat two bowls of cereal, lots of bread, the other biscuits in the cupboard; as well as buying something else on my way back from class. I had a late work shift, aswell; so I would have been bloated and self conscious all night too.

As much as I don't want these urges; In a way, they are a positive considering the situation I'm in. I'm certain that each time I resist the urge, I'm making myself stronger for the next time.
These urges are part and parcel of my recovery. And I can't get worked up each time one comes around.

So, In a sense, I'd call this a good day. A successful one.
From now on, whenever I get an urge; I'll no longer look at it as a sign of weakness, but as part of my recover. These urges were never going to go away without a fight - Which is something I need to remember.

Like a naughty child backs down as they come to realise that their parent won't react to their screaming tantrums anymore - My urges will begin to back down, when they realise that I won't react to them. :D

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:24 am

This is a great way of looking at things - instead of beating yourself up for having those urges, you are able to almost welcome them as a necessary part of your recovery. Good for you!

Anonymous-Coward

Post by Anonymous-Coward » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:06 pm

Amy3010 wrote:This is a great way of looking at things - instead of beating yourself up for having those urges, you are able to almost welcome them as a necessary part of your recovery. Good for you!
Thank you :D

Anonymous-Coward

Post by Anonymous-Coward » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:22 pm

THURSDAY 18TH APRIL (2013) Green Day

Breakfast: 3 slices of toast
Lunch: Egg and tuna sandwich
Dinner: Spinach omelette and chicken

Notes:

Was quite a smooth day today.
Had an early start, and due to my schedule; I had to have lunch at the earlier time of 12.

It was also a busier evening than usual for us, so I didn't have dinner until 20:45 :shock: - But it wasn't all that bad. I had some water, and two half glasses of milk; and anticipated a tasty meal. And when it came it sure was tasty. :D
I was able to go eight or nine hours between lunch and dinner when I was on No S last summer - So I already knew I could do it.
In a way, I find that delayed dinners are more tasty and enjoyable. Not that I'll be making it a habit though :wink:

Nice to have a day like today, after having a few testing ones.

SpiritSong

Post by SpiritSong » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:23 pm

Anonymous-Coward wrote:Like a naughty child backs down as they come to realise that their parent won't react to their screaming tantrums anymore - My urges will begin to back down, when they realise that I won't react to them. :D
That is one of the concepts promoted in "Eating Less." The less we fight the urges and just accept that they are there (without giving in to them, of course), the faster they will go away (or lessen).

Good job! :D

And, yes, nothing makes dinner taste better than being REALLY hungry for it. Plain noodles and butter can become a feast!

Anonymous-Coward

Post by Anonymous-Coward » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:28 am

SpiritSong wrote: That is one of the concepts promoted in "Eating Less." The less we fight the urges and just accept that they are there (without giving in to them, of course), the faster they will go away (or lessen).

Good job! :D

And, yes, nothing makes dinner taste better than being REALLY hungry for it. Plain noodles and butter can become a feast!
Thank you very much. Honestly, you guys don't know how much encouragement I recieve from reading your posts :D

Anonymous-Coward

Post by Anonymous-Coward » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:33 am

FRIDAY 19TH APRIL (2013) Green Day

Breakfast: 3 slices of toast.
Lunch: Oatmeal and two sausages (Not together, of course :P )
Dinner: Pasta with sausage meatballs.

Notes:
It was a relatively straightforward green day.

Had another longer break between lunch and dinner (Lunch being at 13:00 - Dinner at 20:00) But in general, when the gap is this wide, it's because I'm busy doing something; and so I don't realise too much.

I had a good few glasses of water, as well as two half glasses of milk.

Not much else to report here today :D

Anonymous-Coward

Post by Anonymous-Coward » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:07 am

SATURDAY 20TH APRIL (2013) S Day

Notes:
It's safe to say that Saturday was the best S Day I've had on No S; bar none. :D
Back last summer I had atleast 10 S Day weekends; and not one of those 20+ days was as 'enjoyable' as today. Not one. All of them were filled with permasnacking, which often lead to a 2 day binge.

But today I woke up; had an early lunch (or late breakfast - Call it Brunch :wink: ) of the small bowl of remaining pasta from Friday night at about 11:30.
I had half a glass of milk. And at around 18:00 - I had a sausage sandwich, followed by 3 chocolate biscuits. I later (around 20:30) had one more chocolate biscuit, aswell as a planned dessert of apple pie, custard, and ice cream.

If I was to be super-critical - I'd argue it's still wasn't a 'perfect' S day (I probably didn't need the biscuits). But I won't be. It's a massive improvement on anything I've done in the past. And I can go to bed on an S day, not feeling bloated or gassy for once - Which has never happened before.

I'm hoping that today is a breakthrough. The day when it truly clicks that S Days are more enjoyable and guilt-free when treated like this.
I hope to have an enjoyable Sunday tomorrow :wink:

Anonymous-Coward

Post by Anonymous-Coward » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:31 pm

SUNDAY 21TH APRIL (2013) S Day

Notes:
Following yesterday, today wasn't as 'good'. It wasn't too 'bad' - But I permasnacked too much for my liking.
A nice reminder that one 'good' S Day doesn't mean I've arrived, or that I've cracked anything. I ate my first sweet at about 13:00 today, which, in hindsight, was probably too early. But, hey, It's a learning process. 8)

I'd still say that the weekend (as a whole) was a success. And my week of eating was a great success. So, while today wasn't ideal - the week as a whole (especially the other six days) were very positive, for sure.
If I had eaten the same amount over this weekend, but with the food split 50/50 over the two days - I'd prbably be ecstatic with this set of S Days. So it's all relative, I guess.

I'm very much looking forward to starting back on the N Days tomorrow.
I almost get more excited for my three daily meals during the week, than for my 'treats' at the weekend.

Anonymous-Coward

Post by Anonymous-Coward » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:52 pm

MONDAY 22TH APRIL (2013) Red Day

Notes:

I'd love to report another green day, but unfortunately can't for today. It was, though, a positive day in a sense.
Mondays are usually difficult for me (in relation to the other days) as are Thursdays (for some reason). And, usually I am already ready for it, and just plough through, knowing it will get 'easier' on Tuesday.

But today, for whatever reason, I felt a little iffy. After lunch I felt like having something sweet. So I had a chocolate biscuit. I then had a couple of mini apple-pies with ice cream, and a few more biscuits.

Usually this would have led to a full on binge (cereal, pizza, chocolate - the works) But after 'failing' for the day, I decided that I was unlikely to even feel hungry for dinner - So I didn't have it, or anything else after.

In a weird way, I almost feel as if I 'needed' to have this red day at some point. So that now that fear of failing and binging is gone. I've done it now; the pressure to be 'perfect' has gone; and I've actually learnt that those sweets I felt I 'needed' at the time actually weren't all they were cracked up to be. I believe that part of the reason I didn't binge (as I would have done) was due to resisting those urges a few times over the last few weeks.

Anyway; I've chugged down lots of water, and I'm ready for a green day tomorrow.
As far as I'm concerned nothing's changed, and I don't anticipate this one 'failure' causing a downward spiral of any kind.
Tomorrow's a busy day; so I'll have no problems making it green. :D

I can take positives out of this red day, for sure. Of course, all of this isn't an invitation to anymore of them. :P

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:14 am

In spite of it being red, you handled your day really well. Good for you!

SpiritSong

Post by SpiritSong » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:58 pm

Anonymous-Coward wrote: In a weird way, I almost feel as if I 'needed' to have this red day at some point. So that now that fear of failing and binging is gone. I've done it now; the pressure to be 'perfect' has gone; and I've actually learnt that those sweets I felt I 'needed' at the time actually weren't all they were cracked up to be. I believe that part of the reason I didn't binge (as I would have done) was due to resisting those urges a few times over the last few weeks.
I feel the same way. There is another poster on this board who has been perfect for something like seven years, and I just can't even imagine it. I would rather have a red day here and there (it would be nice if I could get it down to once a month or so) and not have to worry about ruining the perfection I have going.

Anonymous-Coward

Post by Anonymous-Coward » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:30 pm

TUESDAY 23RD APRIL (2013) Green Day

Breakfast: 3 slices of toast
Lunch: A duck wrap, and packet of crisps (chips :wink: )
Dinner: Pasta with meatballs

Notes:
Today was a busy day. I usually don't have lunch on this day of week, due to my schedule. But today I had time, so I bought one of those meal-deals. I'm not a fan of crisps really, but it was all they had left when I got there.

I was pretty fine, until after dinner - When intense intense urges hit me. (And as I have a past of binge problems, 'failure' of any kind, and 'bingeing' usually go hand in hand)
How I didn't buckle - I don't know.
I really didn't expect such intense urges to be honest. They came so late in the day too, which is rare for me (it's usually in and around the other two meals that I'm vulnerable)

But anyway, I made it :D . And I feel good for it. I feel as though green days such as today's are the greenest of all. When one has had a red day yesterday, and there is temptation to say "another red day won't hurt". It definately would have been easier to write the day off, but I didn't.

I've probably had equally as intense urges before, and I've also overcome them before. But never (I don't think) have I overcome an urge the day after 'failing' whatever plan I was on.

So today's green is a massive one. An hour or two ago, I honestly didn't think I'd be writing such positive notes.
I'm lying in bed, looking forward to my meals tomorrow, instead of lying down with guilt, planning something or other to counter my 'failure'.

Anonymous-Coward

Post by Anonymous-Coward » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:01 pm

WEDNESDAY 24TH APRIL (2013) Red Day

Notes:

From a good day to a bad one.
I didn't get a great night's sleep, and woke up almost in the mood to not bother.

I had one plate at around 9, and then just ate more. I then used this as an excuse to eat whatever I wanted - whenever I wanted.

I'm at a familiar place right now. I'm at home, unable to focus on the more important things. But sitting planning my next moves (in terms of food). The same thoughts and plans circling my mind:

Where did I go wrong?

"Should I have be having three meals a day, but not call them breakfast lunch and dinner.. Just eat my three plates a day, whenever I want? Some days I don't feel like eating early, and I'm convinced it makes me hungrier. Some days, I'm busy all day, and would rather eat two plates in the evening (and visa versa).

"Should I have three plates, but allow them to contain sweets? Will 'allowing' sweets whenever I want, stop me from 'wanting' them all that much? Or will it just throw me onto a constant sugar-rush cycle?"

"Should I continue with Vanilla No S, and just chalk this down to a learning experience? Should I reduce my carbs? Will it make a difference? Or is the problem a mental one?"

"Should I just eat whatever I want, whenever I want - Period? Effectively, there will be no 'failure' if there are no rules (however I have diet-head, so I probably would still views certain things as failures.) Would I learn to eat intuitviely? Or would I just over-do it majorly?"

"Should I have only two meals a day, but choose which one of breakfast, Lunch or dinner to miss - depending on my schedule? On a busy day, I wouldn't have the time to miss lunch. If I had an early start, I could forego breakfast easily. Sometimes, I have a whole day at home, and I'm conviced eating as early as 9 or 10 makes things harder in terms of hunger. But would this plan just lead to resentment?
Also, what about days when I have no choice but to eat three meals. What impact could that have on me?"

The same ideas (or mods) I always have. Funnly most of them concern meals. No S has made me grow to love meals. But it's the finer details I wonder about. My past with binge eating makes things more tricky. Problems others wouldn't have - I do have.

I'll take a few days break off No S, while I plot my next move. I'd like to think I'll go back to vanilla No S. But I don't know.

Anonymous-Coward

Post by Anonymous-Coward » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:22 pm

Well.... I've had a few hours to think things over.

I'm not going to deviate from this plan.
I managed to go two weeks on it until this Monday, and I felt good.

None of my other 'plans' make as much sense, to be honest. I'll get back on track ASAP. And I'll use this as a learning experience.

I'm going to try to put more time and effort into my meals. I think (actually, I know :wink:) my meals have been too carb based. I guess that part of this is because of the novelty of being 'allowed' to eat carby meals again after months of No S since last summer.
I love eggs (omelettes in particular) and I'll use the time I have on my hands on my off days, to whip up smore solid meals.

It can't hurt to try. In the past (even before I knew of No S, but was struggling with bingeing) I decided to try eating three meals a day, each one containing two or three eggs, and I found my hunger levels reduced greatly. It was when I started to snack and add sweets things, that I lost control again.

I wont be so drastic with the number of eggs, but I'll tweak things slightly, bearing this in my mind.
Worst case scenario - It doesn't work... So nothing much to lose.

It all comes down to this - I've suffered from binge eating for so long, that I shouldn't expect a miracle. I shouldn't expect it to be a bump-free ride. I'm going to have more urges, and more testing times.
But for every green day I have - I've done my body good.
I went 10-12 weeks without a red day before (even with binge-like S Days) so I know I can do it.

This is the kick up the bum I need to start feeding myself 'better' food.
Food that makes my body feel better.

I may not look overweight, I may even look slim. But that isn't all that matters. Eating fewer white carbs (bread and fries seem to crop up alot on my dairy) will still benefit me. Even if just for one meal a day, for now.

So maybe I've learnt something from this red day, after all. :D

Usually, I'd try to 'fast' the day after a 'binge' - for mental satisfaction. Emphasis on the word 'try'. It's more likely that I binge again, than I fast successfully. And that isn't what I need. A green day tomorrow is good enough to get back on track.

I shall report back here tomorrow night. 8)

Anonymous-Coward

Post by Anonymous-Coward » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:11 pm

Wasn't a green day, but was still a good day. I had three plates of food (07:30, 18:00, and 19:00) one of them containing a chocolate cereal bar.

Anyway.. Having given my red days more thought, I've realised a few things:

1) I wasn't drinking as much water as my first 9-10 days. During my green days, I was waking up and drinking two glasses of water before eating anything. It would fill me up before I even had breakfast. I would also drink three glasses of water just before bed. It tended to set my day up well, and encourage me to drink more water, which of course made me less 'hungry'. Since Sunday (a slightly 'wild' S Day) I have been slipping in this regard.

2) I also have been eating too many carb' heavy meals of late. Lots of bread, and fries. I'm a fan of eggs, so I'll be making an effort to have more of them. It's a time thing more than anything. But I will be making the time for it - It's worth the time!

3) I'm going to stop drinking milk in between meals too. It was making me feel gassy. And it was reducing the amount of water I drank. I really don't need it. I'll now only drink milk if I miss a meal - which leads me to point #4!

4) I'll try to miss fewer meals. Quite simple. I only miss lunch twice a week usually, but I'll make a bigger effort to work it in, even on busy days.

5) I'll treat my meals with more respect. If I have time to make something special, I should do it. We usually have a fridge full of food, so there's no excuse to live off of sausage sandwiches and fries :P

I see no reason to stray from good old vanilla right now.
Hopefully, with these 5 points, I should see a difference. 8)
No use beating myself up.. I should use every experience (good or bad) to learn and grow.

Anonymous-Coward

NEW START

Post by Anonymous-Coward » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:02 pm

I'm starting to think breakfast isn't for me.

Unless I'm really busy, I find eating an early meal just makes me 'hungrier' all day. I'm literally counting down the minutes 'til lunch from about 30 minutes after eating. It's gotten to the point where if I'm eating breakfast at 09:00, at 10:30 I'm fighting to not plate up 'lunch'.

Looking back at all my school years, I never ate breakfast. And on No S now, I'm almost always counting down the minutes until lunch anyway, so why bother with breakfast? I'll probably feel less hunger without breakfast.
It just seems to lead to anxiety, and I struggle to get things done.

I have this weekend. And then on Monday, I'll be putting this 2 meal a day method into practice. I was contemplating having three 'floating' meals each day (as in - Eat the three plates, but at whatever time I want during the day) but I could see this simply encouraging emotional eating. It also probably wouldn't help create the habit as I'd be eating at different times each day.

So from Monday, I'll be fore-going Breakfast. It can't hurt to try, I guess.

Naturally, tomorrow is a day where I'm supposed to be going out for breakfast, which in hindsight is the last thing I now need... :roll:

finallyfull

Post by finallyfull » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:12 pm

I think an experiment is a good thing -- that way if it doesn't work, you don't have to "fall off" the wagon, you just figure out what you need to figure out, and either keep it or don't.

I think the word "breakfast" is too often confused for "morning meal." If you're not hungry till 1 p.m., then "breakfast" is at 1 p.m.

Anonymous-Coward

Post by Anonymous-Coward » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:09 pm

SUNDAY 28TH APRIL (2013) S Day

Notes:

I wasn't planning on checking-in for this weekend. I was going to wait until Monday (when I'm 'officially' starting two meals a day, instead of three).. But I had to check-in, as I had a couple of very good S days.

I don't really know how much I can actually read into them, because four of the five weekdays before them were red days (one of them was binge-like). But I did put into practice the two meal structure - And it seemed to make a difference.

I was hungry by the time lunch came (I ate my first meal at around 13:00 on both days) but it was a different kind of hunger to the hunger I usually face between Breakfast and Lunch. I honestly have no problem with hunger. I'm not afraid to feel hunger. I actually sort of enjoy the pre-dinner hunger. But for some reason Breakfast left me with weird cravings, and a different type of 'hunger' altogether.

I was much more controlled with my eating this weekend. I had a few tasty snacks and sweets.
So I'm looking forward to starting the two meal structure properly on Monday. I almost never ate breakfast during my school years: it's possible that it's just the natural way for me.

I'm feeling positive that maybe, just maybe, I've made that one, key alteration that will make No S work for me like I know it can.

I'm not planning to never have breakfast again in my life :lol:. I'll eat it if the situation calls for it on a given day. But a 'normal' day will be two meals.

So roll on Monday 8)

Anonymous-Coward

Post by Anonymous-Coward » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:10 pm

MONDAY 29TH APRIL (2013) Green Day

Lunch: Sausage and egg sandwich, with a slice of toast.
Dinner: Lasagne and vegetables.

Notes:[/quote]

Was a really good green day. I found, as I expected, that by not eating breakfast, I (a) was more productive in the morning; and (b) felt less of the weird hunger and cravings before lunch. I was still hungry for lunch, but it was much more of a manageable, enjoyable hunger.

I ate lunch at around 13:00 and dinner at around 19:30.

Tomorrow is my early start/busy day. I've cooked and packed some pasta for lunch tomorrow so I don't need to spend silly money on a lunch.
And, in a way, I'm glad that I wont need to eat anything first thing when I wake up. It usually felt too early, and because of the rush of the morning, I would often put together something quite unsatisfying anyway.

So I'm looking forward to see how things work out tomorrow. 8)

Anonymous-Coward

Post by Anonymous-Coward » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:05 pm

TUESDAY 30TH APRIL (2013) Green Day

Lunch: Pasta with sausage.
Dinner: Fish finger and egg sandwich and fries

Notes:
Quite a straightforward green day, despite the fact that I didn't eat lunch until 14:00, and dinner until 20:00.
And I wouldn't even say my meals were bigger than I would have had them if I was having three meals. I would have predicted that I'd load my two plates to the ceiling to compensate. But I haven't thus far.

I just seem to find it easier to get through 'til lunch (delayed or not), if I don't eat breakfast in the mornings. My early-morning concentration/productivity seems to increase, and I also drink a lot more water during the morning, which sets the trend for the afternoon and evening.

It's been a positive change, so far. And I haven't missed breakfast all that much. But I'm not going to get too comfortable. It's still early days. 8)

Anonymous-Coward

Post by Anonymous-Coward » Wed May 01, 2013 9:55 pm

WEDNESDAY 1ST MAY(2013) Green Day

Lunch: Chicken wraps and prawns
Dinner: Beans and two slices of bread

Notes:
Was another nice day.

Again, I was hungry leading up to lunch. But it was an enjoyable hunger. I really am not missing breakfast right now.

Lunch seems to taste much better without it. :P

Eeyore

Post by Eeyore » Wed May 01, 2013 10:15 pm

I'm so happy you have found your NoS "groove"!!! Keep It Up!!!

Anonymous-Coward

Post by Anonymous-Coward » Fri May 03, 2013 9:40 am

THURSDAY 2ND MAY(2013) Green Day

Lunch: Two fish wraps
Dinner: Pasta and ratatouille

Notes:
Completely forgot to post here last night :P So this is for Thursday.

It was a nice enough green day. Did feel a bit 'hungry' before lunch. But nothing I couldn't manage.
Some days I feel like having another plate of food, and on other days - I feel like I'm more than satisfied with the two. Every now-and-then after dinner, I'll entertain the thought of plating up another meal. But within five-to-ten minutes, the feelings go.
I've found that the hunger feeling only really comes in short spells and bursts. Very rarely have I had a hunger that lasts hours on end. And, while they can be intense, they don't often last.

I still wouldn't say I miss eating breakfast though. And I seem to get more work done in the mornings, as I've mentioned before. My body feels better without an early meal.

Not long until lunch time today! And I'll remember to post tonight. :D
Last edited by Anonymous-Coward on Fri May 03, 2013 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous-Coward

Post by Anonymous-Coward » Fri May 03, 2013 9:42 am

Eeyore wrote:I'm so happy you have found your NoS "groove"!!! Keep It Up!!!
Thank you very much, Eeyore :D.
So far, it's been a good change in many ways.

Anonymous-Coward

Post by Anonymous-Coward » Sat May 04, 2013 2:23 am

FRIDAY 4TH MAY(2013) Green Day

Lunch: Chicken and bacon sandwich
Dinner: Pasta and bacon

Notes:
Was a nice enough green day.

I was quite hungry before lunch. But it wasn't too big a deal. Felt stronger hunger again before dinner. Maybe I need to increase the size of my lunches, and decrease the size of my dinners. At the moment my dinner is the bigger meal, and I'm thinking it might work better the other way round.

There's not really much more to say. Having the two meals is still taking some adjusting to, but it's a change that I'm glad I've made.
I'm looking forward to my S days now. Hopefully, they'll go well, like my last ones :D

I shall check in tomorrow :wink:

Anonymous-Coward

Post by Anonymous-Coward » Sun May 05, 2013 2:41 am

SATURDAY 5TH MAY(2013) S Day

Notes:
Was an enjoyable S day today.
I had lunch and dinner, with a few snacks in between.

Usually, I would have had breakfast, and I would have found it hard to control my intake of sweets for the whole day. But without anything to eat until lunch, it was definitely easier.

Hopefully tomorrow is as enjoyable and sensible 8)

Anonymous-Coward

Post by Anonymous-Coward » Mon May 06, 2013 2:42 am

SUNDAY 6TH APRIL (2013) S Day

Notes:
I wasn't as sensible today as I was on Saturday. But it wasn't too bad.
I did a bit too much perma-snacking on stuff I don't even like all that much.

But nothing too drastic - Especially in relation to my past S days.

I'm kind of pleased to get back to N day structure tomorrow. 8)

Anonymous-Coward

Post by Anonymous-Coward » Mon May 06, 2013 11:28 pm

MONDAY 7TH MAY(2013) Red Day

Notes:
Red day :?

Managed to wait until lunch with no problems, but then just ate lots of other things.

I was ultra tired, and woke up with more cravings than usually following an excessive S day.
But that isn't enough of an excuse.

As always, whenever I have a fail, I start to think about changing to some other kind of moderation or meal structure. But I wont. I don't need to.

I've just had a read of the Catch Phrase Glossary, and I'm raring to go 8)
Tomorrow I'll get straight back on track!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed May 22, 2013 7:31 pm

I've browsed through your posts. You're on track, if you need to hear it.

I have to admit something, though, and I hope it won't discourage you. Bingeing was my issue and I'm 40 months in. I still get urges sometimes. I've given up expecting them to go away completely, or at least for another couple of years. I believe one of the reasons people end up failing in the long run is that they want the problems to be over prematurely. There are so many forces that affect our desires and behavior. People lose heart when it doesn't turn into smooth sailing within a few months and certainly that there should be no more issues after a year, but it turns out it's a lot to expect.

I think it's even better that you're finding out that you can tolerate and resist even strong urges. I had an epiphany before I started No S when I looked back at my history and realized when I had been successful at dieting, it had been because I had reached a point at which forces came together and for a few months, I had very little resistance to sticking to a plan. But, when that resistance came back, I just caved. I realized I had to learn to say no when it wasn't easy! It was hard to admit that as a grown woman, I had given in so many times so easily. Basically, whims to eat were in control, but I saw that a desire cannot rule my muscles. I can still sometimes pop food in my mouth so fast after a desire that it seems almost as if I had not control, but I can't really kid myself anymore. I just don't panic about it anymore, either way. Tough on myself before I overeat; gentle afterwards. Together, those attitudes have turned things around. The opposite never did.

Come back!

By the way, I still have the urges, but they are mostly quite easy to ignore. I often think, oh, that's jsut a ghost from the past, and ignore it. After about half an hour or less, it's over.
Last edited by oolala53 on Thu May 23, 2013 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Healthiermum

Post by Healthiermum » Thu May 23, 2013 9:50 am

I just want to say I love reading your daily check ins as I can relate very much. I'm also on no s not to lose weight but to help maintain my weight and help me not binge. Funnily enough my binging started when I started dieting even though I didn't really need to diet and now I want to go back to eating normally and how i used to. I have been feeling hungry most of today I think because most 3/4 of my 3 plates were freggies and could feel a binge coming on but reading your posts helped me forget about food and binging. So thank you and hope your success continues