harmony's daily check in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

harmony

harmony's daily check in

Post by harmony » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:23 pm

This is actually my 3rd or 4th check-in on this forum. But, it has been so long since the last time that I can't remember how long ago it even was. I was doing okay maintaining (I was still over-weight, but I wasn't gaining) and then I ran into a really stressful time that seemed to drag on forever and ever. So, I gained almost 20 lbs! Most of the stress has subsided and my life seems to be evening out for now. So, I was hoping that I could start getting back some of the good habits again.

I did manage to lose almost 10 lbs. I followed a different diet for a bit. At the same time, I was actually following No-S in that I only ate 3 meals a day and by the end of the week I would allow myself a bit more freedom on the weekends. I am having trouble sticking to some of the requirements though, and since I was basically following No-S, I thought this might be a way to avoid giving up completely. The No-S program makes so much sense, and it is inspiring to come back and see so many people who have been here for years and still experiencing success with it. Also, I did discover a few things during this last diet that may help me be more successful at sticking with a less strict (when it comes to meal planning), more vanilla version of No-S.

I haven't decided how I am going to set up this check-in yet - whether it will be daily or sporadic, whether I will post my meals or just whether it was a red or green day. Knowing me, I will probably do all of the above at least once. lol.

And just a note: I am very inspired by reading others check-ins, but I have found that I am incredibly awkward when it comes to online chit-chat and I am lost as to any sort of etiquette involved. But, I want to let everyone know that I appreciate every comment and every view, and I also appreciate others' efforts to write about their own successes and struggles in their own check-ins. I just don't always do a good job of showing it.

Thanks for reading. :)

SpiritSong

Post by SpiritSong » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:39 pm

Best of luck to you!

I am back after re-gaining 23 pounds. :oops: There is nothing to do about it other than get back on No S and keep with it this time. :D

harmony

Post by harmony » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:47 pm

Thank you SpiritSong :D Best of luck to you as well.

Yesterday (4/15/13) went well. I would say it gets a GREEN :mrgreen:

I had Subway for dinner and I even remembered to get a bottle of milk instead of the usual pop.

SpiritSong

Post by SpiritSong » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:11 pm

Way to go on the milk! Sometimes we get tripped up when we order something out of habit.

harmony

Post by harmony » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:31 am

4/16 GREEN
4/17 RED
4/18 GREEN (so far at least :) )

Edit: I wanted to add that my starting weight is around 182 lb.

4/17 (Wed.) Most of the day was quite good. Then I went to pick up the kids from grandma's house and they had waited to have ice cream till I was there. I said no at first, but then gave in easily to pressure. I am pretty proud of myself for saying that first 'no'. It is hard for me to do that in this situation. So even though I gave in, I consider it a small victory on my part. With every 'no' I am brave enough to say, the future 'no's' should get easier and easier.

Tonight is a bit of a struggle. I ate a pretty decent serving of pasta with meat sauce for dinner, but it really didn't leave me feeling satisfied. I've had to use some willpower tonight. I am not always good at willpower. But, remembering yesterday's fail is good incentive to stick with it. I told myself that I wouldn't limit the milk if I felt I needed it during these first few weeks. I have been drinking milk with my meals, and occasionally have a glass between meals. I try to have a cup of tea or decaf coffee first and if that doesn't satisfy my craving, then I go for the cup of milk. It really helps. It also helps to not feel guilty for doing it. :) I've never really given myself permission to drink the milk without guilt. Who knows? Maybe this will be what I need to help me learn these habits and stick with them. We'll see, I guess.

I plan to do No-S until dinner tomorrow night, and then the weekend starts at dinner. Then Sunday S-day ends at dinner (Sunday's dinner is only one plate and no snacks afterwards.) I have found from past No-S attempts that this works best for me - especially during the school year when Friday after school seems like an event to celebrate yet another school week completed. I like to have a pop if we decide to go out or have pizza delivered.

SpiritSong

Post by SpiritSong » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:18 pm

Way to go on the Milk Plan! Not only are you keeping on No S, but you're also getting your calcium. :D

The No's do get easier. The last time I did No S, my coworker wanted me to try a Special K cracker and I wouldn't (you know, because I'm not allowed to snack). The cracker probably had 10 or less calories in it, and she looked at me like I was crazy, but I don't care. No food gets into my mouth and my body without my permission.

harmony

Post by harmony » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:41 pm

Yesterday Monday 4/23 GREEN

Today, so good so far.

Also, the scale was down one pound (181) last Friday. Not bad for a week of indulgences three plates a day! I try to weigh before the weekend S-days start so I can better see any progress from that week. I expect to gain some over the weekends. My weight goes up and down a few pounds all of the time. (Saturday, I weighed in at 179 lbs - even after eating a good amount of greasy pizza the night before. Now I am back to the low 180's). Also I doubt my scale is accurate.

Eeyore

Post by Eeyore » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:25 pm

You're doing a great job!!!! And the no's will get easier.

I'm also one who starts my S days on Friday evening.

harmony

Post by harmony » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:21 am

Thank you, Eeyore :D The Friday night to Sunday night S-day plan just makes sense to me.
No food gets into my mouth and my body without my permission.
SpiritSong, I think this is a very important statement for me to ponder.

Tuesday 4/24 officially GREEN :mrgreen:

harmony

Post by harmony » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:30 am

Wed. 4/24 GREEN
Thurs. 4/25 GREEN
Fri. 4/26 GREEN

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I forgot to weigh myself Friday morning. Saturday morning I weighed 181 lbs. fully dressed.

harmony

Post by harmony » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:14 pm

Monday 4/29 GREEN

harmony

Post by harmony » Thu May 02, 2013 3:09 pm

Tuesday 4/30 GREEN
Wednesday 5/1 RED (I had a strawberry breakfast bar in the afternoon.)

harmony

Post by harmony » Fri May 03, 2013 2:56 am

Thursday 5/2 RED A day of poor choices. Went for a rehearsal and my client/friend served wine. I had some cheese and crackers to counteract the wine (I am a light-weight when it comes to alcoholic drinks).

I then decided to have an old-fashioned doughnut after dinner. I stopped at just one. In the past I would have eaten 2 or 3 just because they were there. Little victories (I'll take them :) ).

harmony

Post by harmony » Wed May 08, 2013 7:26 pm

I weighed myself last Saturday morning - 179 lb.

Monday - RED I had a can of pop with dinner
Tuesday - GREEN

The weather is finally nice, and the rain in the forecast seems to be holding out. I think I might go for a walk today. :)

harmony

Post by harmony » Sat May 18, 2013 7:57 pm

Rough week, crazy schedule. I stopped keeping track, but I am sure that I had RED days all week. I plan on getting back to it on Monday. :D