daily check in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

audiomama

daily check in

Post by audiomama » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:40 am

Day One: Success.

childoftheking

Post by childoftheking » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:43 am

WooHoo! :!: :!: :!:

audiomama

week 1 success

Post by audiomama » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:30 am

didn't succeed in logging in daily, but did succeed at three meals, no sweets, no snacks, no seconds for 5 consecutive days.
so:
tues SUCCESS
wed SUCCESS
thurs SUCCESS
fri SUCCESS

thanks for the woohoo :) feels good to be celebrated.

audiomama

hmmmm Tuesdays.

Post by audiomama » Wed May 01, 2013 4:38 pm

Last week (4/22-4/26) was an atypical week. My school-aged children were home, so I was off work for the week. I intended to no-s, but there was definitely some stressed snacking at around 3 on the days when we stayed home (Tues and Thurs) and the kids argued with each other.

This week, back to my routine, I expected to have no trouble.
Mon SUCCESS
Tues... I skipped my coffee in the morning and was really bummed about it until I got coffee with lunch. The kids were fighting when I came home and I immediately (but not thoughtlessly) ate a piece of chocolate and then a small bowl of cereal. I chose to eat for comfort because I was overwhelmed by work fatigue, house mess, and kids' behavior. The distraction (mental space) and comfort of food is worth more to me in those moments than any benefit from consuming fewer calories. I also suspect it's a little bit about not knowing what to do and telling myself that I'm not in control (even of my eating, let alone other people or a house or anything!).

Meditation is likely the better response. Maybe I'll see if that works next time.

audiomama

Post by audiomama » Wed May 15, 2013 1:57 am

success!!!! finally a full, unequivocal success on a Tuesday. imagined the failure modes before they happened, avoided the most likely triggers for failure.

audiomama

Wednesday success

Post by audiomama » Thu May 16, 2013 12:01 am

It was a close one, but I succeeded!
Tooth brushing after meals is another helpful strategy.

So now I've got:
Meditate
Plan to avoid triggers
Plan other responses to triggers (nap, clean, walk)
Brush teeth after meals

audiomama

Post by audiomama » Fri May 17, 2013 1:29 am

Wednesday: Solid Success!

dinner at 6.00 (because of a meeting after) worked well, but excluded one family member who wasnt home yet. still working out the kinks

audiomama

i am BACK!

Post by audiomama » Wed May 22, 2013 1:51 am

thurs-- success
fri-- planned s-day, success (i had a small dessert as a planned part of a very special restaurant meal)
mon -- success
tues-- SUCCESS!!!!

i'm feeling like a rock star today. dinner was late late late, but i waited! when i made my plate i used my brain to decide the right amount of food based on past experience rather than what my very hungry stomach wanted. i ate slowly and was thoroughly satisfied with my meal.

i'm ready for this habit!