DeweyOxberger's Check In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

DeweyOxberger

DeweyOxberger's Check In

Post by DeweyOxberger » Mon May 06, 2013 10:34 pm

Hi. Just getting started. And already slightly modifying. :)

My S days are going to be SFriday and Saturday. So yesterday was DAY ONE and a No-S day. It was a success.

I have a volunteer gig two Sundays a month that keeps me so super busy that I don't usually get to lunch until 1:30 or 2. At which point I hoover down a big lunch and then don't feel much like dinner later. Which, in the past, hasn't stopped me from having a sweet after the big lunch and maybe having a regular dinner, too. But I digress.

I have breakfast around 6am and I do get hungry, but I just don't have time to stop to eat and there's no food around anyway. I don't die. I enjoy my giant lunch. There's probably a lesson in there about keeping busy.

I had my late lunch. No sweets or snacks. Didn't really feel like having a meal at 6 or 7 or 8, so I didn't. Shocking. Had a half bowl of cereal (not the sugar-bomb variety) with skim milk around 8:30.

This morning, DAY TWO, I attended a meeting at which there was cheesecake (IN THE MORNING!) and some coffeecake muffins for refreshments. I am not making this up: when I declined the muffins someone actually (jokingly and not really unkindly, but STILL) waved the plate of muffins under my nose. Literally. And they smelled good. Like my late mother's coffeecake yummy-cinnamon-nostalgia good. But I had had a big oatmeal breakfast and I declined. Yay, me.

Anyway, the posts here inspire and encourage me. I've been poking through them for the last couple of days. Looking forward to learning more from you all. Thanks.

DeweyOxberger

Week of 5/5

Post by DeweyOxberger » Tue May 07, 2013 12:54 pm

This week's checklist:

Sunday 5-5/NoS: Success
Monday 5-6/NoS: Success
Tuesday 5-7/NoS: Success
Wednesday 5-8/NoS: Success
Last edited by DeweyOxberger on Thu May 09, 2013 4:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Eileen7316

Post by Eileen7316 » Tue May 07, 2013 1:32 pm

Good job on resisting the "breakfast"!!
Eileen

DeweyOxberger

Post by DeweyOxberger » Tue May 07, 2013 8:13 pm

Eileen7316 wrote:Good job on resisting the "breakfast"!!
Thanks, Eileen!

DeweyOxberger

Post by DeweyOxberger » Sun May 12, 2013 1:18 pm

Hey. Still doing it. Week 2 starts today.

But I'll be using the Lift app on my phone for checking in/habit building, so I won't be using this thread for checking in.

Thanks!