Annie's check in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

May

Annie's check in

Post by May » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:33 pm

6/25 - 1st day starting NoS. N day - success
6/26 - N day - success
6/27 - N day - success
6/28 - N day - failure (had some slices of cucumbers, bell pepper, milk at 4pm). Too hungry to wait until 7 for dinner.

Tomorrow is S day. I shall really enjoy it.

May

Post by May » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:48 am

My goal is to lose 10lbs. I had lost a lot of weight on Atkins but couldn't eat like that forever. I started eating carbs again and the weight is slowly creeping back. I really want to stop this weight gain before it gets out of hand. Hope NoS will normalize my eating habit.

By nature, I am not a really active person, unless you count doing laundry and household chores as active...so my diet will have more impact on my weight.

May

1st S day

Post by May » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:15 pm

Day 5 - S day

B: normal portion. I had satay beef macaroni, toast, egg and milk tea
L: meatball casserole, blueberry muffin (the ones from Starbucks are my weakness) and coffee
D: bread with cheese, fried eel, tomatoes, fresh apricot, strawberries with Greek yogurt and milk tea (a little piling action but not too bad).

No need to snack since all 3 meals were substantial. Just wondering if this is considered a bit overboard for S day. Usually I try to refrain from temptation (e.g. sweets).

May

Post by May » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:09 pm

Day 6 - S day

B: same as usual. Toast, scrambled egg, ham macaroni, coffee
L: buffet. I ate too many desserts. Any strategies for buffet dining without going overboard? I could really use some advice.
D: preserved egg and pork congee, rice noodles, lettuce, almonds, cherries, 1/2 banana, Greek yogurt, milk tea

No snacks needed since I was so full after the lunch buffet. I feel guilty after eating so many desserts. Tomorrow I will go back to N day eating. No snacks, no sweets and no seconds...back to normal.

May

Post by May » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:44 pm

Day 7 - N day. Success

B: same as usual. Toast, butter, scrambled eggs, ham macaroni, milk tea
L: fried eel, tomato, cucumber, bread, cheese, coffee
D: Singapore noodles, BBQ pork, kale, mushrooms, cherries, Greek yogurt, bread, cheese, almonds, milk tea

Resisted the urge to snack at around 4-5pm. Also, my father-in-law offered me some dessert (egg tart) but I politely declined. Feel good that I stayed with the program. But I think eventually I will need to make my meal size a bit smaller.

May

Post by May » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:27 pm

Day 8 - N day. Success

B: toast with butter, scrambled eggs, ham macaroni, coffee
L: egg, turkey, tomato, cucumber, bell pepper, bread with cheese, coffee
5pm: milk (1/2 cup)
D: curry beef brisket with rice, sea bass, broccoli, fried rice noodles, milk tea

Still need to decrease the portion, especially for dinner

May

close call

Post by May » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:30 pm

Day 9 - N day. Success

B: toast, butter, eggs, ham macaroni, milk tea
L: 2 slices of bread with cheese, tomatoes, cherries, bell pepper, egg, turkey, coffee, cucumber
D: sweet and sour pork, bread, Greek yogurt, kale, egg, beans, BBQ pork, lots of almonds, milk tea, apricots, fried eel

Almost failed because after eating sweet and sour pork for dinner, I had a craving for sweets and was looking in the kitchen for snacks. Stopped myself in time but it was a really big dinner again...

May

Post by May » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:58 pm

Day 10 - N day. Success

B: peanut butter and jam toast, egg, noodles, milk tea
L: sushi, noodles, bell pepper, tomato, egg, turkey, potato, coffee
D: salmon, cucumber, egg, soup, milk tea, almonds

Had a strong craving for peanut butter this morning, really want something sweet but stuck with the program.

May

Post by May » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:09 pm

Day 11 - N day. Success

B: peanut butter & jam toast, egg, noodles, milk tea
L: tomato, bell pepper, turkey, cucumber, egg, bread, cheese, coffee
D: minced pork, salted egg, lettuce, chicken, almonds (handful), bread, cheese, milk tea

Peanut butter and jam toast satisfied the desire for something sweet. I feel that Thursday and Friday were a little tougher to stick to the program but managed to do so. Looking forward to S day tomorrow. I already planned what I want to eat...

May

Post by May » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:33 pm

Day 12 - S day. Automatic Success

B: toast, butter, eggs, ham macaroni, cheese, milk tea, chocolate x 1
L: meatballs and potatoes, blueberry muffin, skim milk latte
D: curry beef brisket, rice, pork knuckle, sweet & sour pork, pineapple, kale, bread, cheese, almonds, milk tea, Greek yogurt, apricot, banana

Getting easier to not have any snacks. After 5 N days, I rewarded myself with a sweet during lunch today. Can't imagine not having S day.

May

Post by May » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:09 pm

Day 13 - S day. Automatic success

B: toast, butter, scrambled eggs, ham macaroni, milk tea
L: roll, butter, vegetable soup, lamb chops, potato, creme brûlée, ice cream, coffee, zucchini
D: durian, kale, chicken wings, noodles, BBQ pork, milk tea, cherries, strawberries, almonds, plum

My weight hasn't changed all that much since I started Nosing...hope I will be able to lose 1 pound after one month. I wanted to snack at around 4 pm but kept myself busy with housework instead.

May

Post by May » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:28 pm

Day 14 - N day. Success

L: cherries, tomatoes, bell pepper, turkey, egg, bread, cheese, coffee, cucumber
D: roasted duck, cucumber, mushroom, salted egg, banana, cherries, strawberries x 2, plum x 1, milk tea, bread + cheese x 1 slice

I had some milk at 5pm because I was hungry but didn't snack. Dinner is still large but since I didn't buy any almonds, I won't overeat on that at least. I got 40 mins of walking done yesterday but I don't think it will happen today due to my prolapsed disc acting up again.

The previous S weekend wasn't too bad, but I wonder if I need to cut back some more in order to see weight loss...

May

Post by May » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:00 pm

Day 15 - N day. Failed

B: peanut butter + jam toast, coffee (had second and dark chocolate)
L: curry fish, tomatoes, egg, turkey, bell pepper, coffee
D: winter melon soup w/ corn, carrot, pork, mushroom, green bean, roasted duck, fried eel, cherries, strawberry, plum, milk tea

50 mins of walking because I was feeling really worried that my weight did not drop even a little. The number on the scale really knocked me off my game this morning. I think that was the reason I had second right after breakfast.

I need to rethink what I need to do besides just NoS. This is definitely the healthy normal way to eat so I really want to keep the 3 meals a day structure. I shall decrease slightly my portion size for breakfast, lunch is still my regular salad lunch box, maybe with a slice of bread. Dinner will be the food I eat with my family, but NO eating after leaving the dinner table, except for a milk tea or water. That should limit the excess. Weekends are still S days but I won't incorporate sweets unless I really feel like it. I normally eat out on the weekends anyway so that is already a treat.

Let's see how that works out.

May

Post by May » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:33 pm

Day 16 - N day. Success

B: butter on toast, scrambled eggs, ham macaroni, coffee
L: strawberries, cucumber, bell pepper, tomato, egg, turkey, wheat bread, coffee
D: chicken, cabbage, pork, strawberries, Greek yogurt, apple, milk tea

Milk at 4pm because I was hungry. I was able to decrease dinner portion a little today. Yay!

Before NoS I was eating low carb and only having desserts occasionally ( 2-3 times a month). After starting NoS, I gave myself permission to eat dessert on S days which is more frequently than before. No wonder I am not dropping any weight.

The golden rule still applies. If I consume more calories on NoS than I use up, I will inevitably gain weight. I need to remember that.

May

Post by May » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:51 pm

Day 17 - N day. Success

B: butter on toast, scrambled eggs, pork with noodles, coffee. I don't think I will order noodles next time as it doesn't really fill me up.
L: cucumber, tomatoes, bell pepper, turkey, egg, strawberries, bread,cheese, coffee. Had to eat late because I had to teach a class. I ate a lot because I was so hungry
D: cabbage with pork, sweet & sour pork, tomato, cherries, Greek yogurt, plum, milk tea, fried eel x 1 can

Milk tea at 5pm because I was hungry.
I should not have ate the fried eel, it was a bit much. Maybe it was the extinction burst?

Oh well, there is always tomorrow. I shall continue to try to decrease my portions.

May

Post by May » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:43 pm

Day 18 - S day

I am counting today ( Friday) as an S day since I had a really extravagant dinner with friends tonight. Tomorrow is also an S day. Sunday will be N day instead.

B: toast with PB&J, scrambled egg, oatmeal, milk tea ( smaller portion than usual)
L: bread with cheese, tomatoes, bell pepper, cucumber, egg, turkey, blueberries, coffee
4pm - milk tea
D: ate at a Belgium restaurant and enjoyed it very much. Every dish was shared as it is the norm. We had beef, salad, Spanish fried rice with seafood, knuckle with pickled vegetable, pasta, red wine, creme brûlée, apple crumble with ice cream, coffee. I was so full I couldn't eat anymore when my friend asked me to finish off the dessert.

May

Post by May » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:43 pm

Day 19 - S day

Actually I wasn't sure to count this as an S day or N day since I was able to stay snack free and sweet free but some funny stuff with the no seconds rule. I went out with a friend for lunch and dinner. We had shared dishes so I took from the main dish more than once but it was a small portion as it would seem a bit greedy to pick a large portion...does that count as a second?

B: PB&J toast, ham macaroni, milk tea
L: curry beef rice, pomelo salad with shrimp, coffee
D: kale, onion fried bread, noodles, chicken, sweet & sour fried fish

May

Post by May » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:00 pm

Day 20 - N day. Success

B: peanut butter and condense milk toast, milk tea
L: steak, fries, zucchini, bell pepper, vegetable soup, roll and butter, coffee
D: pork, egg, green bean, kale, BBQ pork, bread, cheese, strawberries, blueberries, Greek yogurt, plum, milk tea

Avoided dessert for both lunch and dinner. It took more focus to go back to N day eating after 2 S days.

May

Post by May » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:46 pm

Day 21 - N day. Success

Dropped 3 pounds. Hope the weight doesn't go up the next day.

B: PB&J toast, egg, pork with noodles, cheese, milk tea
L: tomatoes, bell pepper, cucumber, egg, turkey, bread, cheese, strawberries, blueberries, coffee
5pm: milk
D: green beans, pork, salmon, fried eel, egg, dragon fruit, Greek yogurt, blueberries, milk tea

I would like to increase my breakfast a little but decrease the portion of dinner. Still need to work on that.

May

Post by May » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:23 pm

Day 22 - N day. Failed

I declined a coworker's offer of chocolate cake and only drank some milk to tie me over before dinner. But I would consider today failed because I had another piece of durian for dinner tonight. Everyone around the table was saying how sweet and creamy it tasted, I just couldn't resist.

B: PB&J toast, egg, pork with noodles, milk tea
L: cucumber, tomato, bell pepper, egg, banana, blueberries, turkey, coffee, bread, cheese
D: 2 pieces of durian, soup, bean sprouts, green bean, pineapple chicken, Greek yogurt, fried eel x 1 can, milk tea, banana. I really ate too much for dinner tonight.

Looking back at my previous posts, I noticed a trend. It appears that the no seconds rule is the hardest for me. My dinner portion is also too big. Snacks and sweets seems manageable. I shall pay more attention before and after dinner.

May

Post by May » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:48 pm

Day 23 - N day. Success

Can't help thinking about eating my favorite food for S day already...it is only Wed.

B: peanut butter on toast, scrambled eggs, ham macaroni, milk tea
L: curry beef brisket with rice and potato, celery, tomato, egg, apple, coffee. When my students have the final exam, somehow I get a little nervous and want some comfort food. I don't know why, it is not me taking the exam....
D: my father-in-law bought the same curry beef brisket that I had today. So I passed on that for dinner. Instead I had, soup, winter melon, pumpkin, BBQ pork, cabbage, Greek yogurt, 1/2 banana, milk tea. At least I didn't eat another can of fried eel.

May

Post by May » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:56 am

Day 24 - N day. Failed

B: buttered toast, scrambled eggs, ham macaroni, milk tea
L: thin slice of chocolate cake, egg, turkey, dragon fruit, banana, tomato, celery, coffee
D: curry chicken (again!), broccoli, scallop, salmon, rice, dragon fruit, Greek yogurt, milk tea

Had a sweet at lunch and also another piece of broccoli at dinner, so I had a sweet and had a second even though it wasn't serious, it still affected the habit.

I was feeling strangely bloated today, not sure why...could it be the curry?

May

Post by May » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:13 pm

Day 25 - N day. Success!

B: butter on toast, scrambled eggs, ham macaroni, milk tea. Can't order the small breakfast today because I was hungry.
L: banana, dragon fruit, egg, turkey, tomato, cucumber, bell pepper, peanuts, cashews, coffee
D: tofu, BBQ pork, chicken wings, cucumber, carrot, bean sprouts, Greek yogurt, milk tea, longan.

I struggled to keep this day green. Drank milk around 5pm when I was really hungry. Kept telling myself that tomorrow is already an S day so just wait a little longer. I am already planning which restaurant I will go to for tomorrow's lunch. 8)

I was hungry before breakfast and also before dinner today. I am learning how to tolerate the feeling of hunger without giving in. This is completely new to me as I am used to always eating little "healthy" snacks whenever I get a little bit hungry. I think this is a good sign...

May

Post by May » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:49 am

Day 26 - S day.

I overdid things today. I had 2 sweets and felt uncomfortably full afterwards, almost sick. I also had some dark chocolate after dinner. Definitely more than what I would normally eat on a weekend.

I think it's because of the 6 N days leading up to the S day. I was waiting for too long. I plan too much of what I was going to eat. Should have just let things happen naturally rather than plan too many treats for myself.

Oh well, what's done is done. I can only enjoy Sunday rather than plan too much ahead. I should just let weekends be open.

If a piece of cake presents itself, I shall enjoy it. But there is no need to go out of my way to find that piece of cake.

B: PB&J toast, ham macaroni, coffee
L: apple crumble, blueberry muffin, green apple & chicken salad, coffee
4pm: plum
D: sweet & sour pork, snow peas, mushroom, taro, shrimps, Greek yogurt, soup, dried cherries, milk tea, dark chocolate

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:10 pm

Hi Annie,
Popping in to say "Hi". Your meals sound delicious! I have the hardest time with seconds too. I see you were frusterated by not losing weight. If you are only ten pounds from your goal weight it might just take a bit longer. I find exercising very helpful. It took a while for me to be able to reduce the size of my meals without panicking. These things will come with persistence!
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139
Willingness without action is fantasy

jw

Post by jw » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:46 pm

Your meals really do sound lovely, Annie! I can only dream of some of those items here in rural PA. Don't fall into the frustration trap -- you are so close to your goal in terms of weight, and also in terms of sane, healthy eating. I am still going out looking for the cake, I am afraid! (but only on S days --)
"The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective." -- El Fug

May

Post by May » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:58 am

Thanks for popping in to say hi. It's nice to know someone is listening.

Today went better than yesterday but the portions are still too big.

Day 27 - S day

B: peanut butter and condense milk on toast, milk tea
L: 3x pancakes! Eggs, smoked salmon, mushroom soup, lettuce, sausage, coffee
3pm: cherries, apricot
D: shrimp dumpling, roasted duck, crab, sticky rice, lettuce, egg, BBQ pork, green bean, Greek yogurt, milk tea

May

Post by May » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:51 pm

Day 28 - N day. Success

B: butter on toast, eggs, ham macaroni, milk tea
L: green tea&red bean bread, egg, turkey, ham, cucumber, celery, tomato, bell pepper, cashew, apple chunks, coffee
4pm: milk
D: pork, curry chicken(again!), rice, egg, blueberries, bread & cheese, milk tea, Greek yogurt, plum

Still need to decrease my portion for dinner. Going back to N day is a bit hard after 2 S days. I will have to pay more attention to staying green this week.

May

Post by May » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:57 pm

Day 29 - N day. Success

Close call today. I was starving at 4pm when my co-workers decided to slice the cake and celebrate someone's birthday. I sang the birthday song and stepped away from the crime scene. Then I had a cup of milk because my stomach was literally growling :oops:

At least I didn't give in. I'm going to give myself a pat on the back.

B: PB&J toast, egg, noodles, milk tea, bread & cheese x half slice
L: bread & cheese, tomato, egg, turkey, apple chunks, cucumber, bell pepper, coffee
D: green beans, winter melon, pork, egg, eggplant stuffed with fish, bread & cheese, blueberries, milk tea

Hippy Dippy

Good Job, Annie!

Post by Hippy Dippy » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:28 pm

Hey Miss Annie!
Good for you ("stepping away from the crime scene")! Especially when your stomach was growling!!!! Awesome job!!!!

I'm a newbie here, and probably won't post every day nor read other's posts everyday, but I do like showing up and seeing who's got what.

It helps to read your posts and see what you're eating. Looks like you are eating healthy. How do you feel overall as far as energy goes? And have you lost weight--or is your focus more on just the sanity part? :D

I'm in for the sanity and the weight loss. Started on July 1st and have lost 1.5 pounds. Now I've added Urban Ranging and love it!

You Go, Girl!
Hippy Dippy
Moderation in all things...including moderation
Start: 205.4. Current 202.2 (-3.2 lbs)

May

Post by May » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:53 am

Hi Hippy Dippy,

Thanks for dropping in. I agree that it helps a lot when I read other posts. It gives me encouragement and motivation. Just knowing that I am not in this alone also helps.

I try to eat healthy for lunch (usually contain some vegetables) but I think my breakfast is huge and the food for dinner is determined by family (mother-in-law) so I don't have any say in the contents but I can decide on the amount that I will put into my mouth.

In terms of energy, I feel good overall. I get hungry before breakfast and also before dinner. If I feel like I really need something to tie me over, then I will have some milk. That usually does the trick.

My goal is to stop my weight from creeping upwards. In fact, I want to lose the 10lbs that I had gain after re-introducing carbs back into my diet. Of course, I want sanity from food obsession and dieting as well. Before NoSing, I was eating 6-7 meals a day, having "healthy" snacks whenever I feel bored/lonely/angry/hungry. I constantly think about what I am going to eat next, which restaurant I will try next, etc... After I started NoS, I don't obsess over food on N days. I am still working on my S days...

Wow, you have already lost 1.5lbs in less than one month. That is excellent progress. And you've added Urban Ranging as well. Keep it up :wink: If I only have the stamina to add in exercise *sigh*

Today is exactly my one month NoS anniversary. The scale say 3lbs down but I take that with a grain of salt. As other posts have indicated, the number could just be water fluctuation.

Let's cheer each other on.
Don't give up on what you want most, for what you want now. ~ Unknown

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:46 pm

Hi Annie!
I really think your doing great! Your meals sound delicious Condensed milk with peanut butter?!?! I want to try that!!!! The problem is I wont be able to stop eating the condensed milk.
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139

May

Post by May » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:19 pm

Thanks for stopping by snapdragon.

Peanut butter and condensed milk are good friends and works well to satisfy my sweet tooth but I can only have it occasionally or I will end up eating too much as well. I read your post and kefir sounds interesting. Does it taste like yogurt?

Day 30 - N day. Success

B: butter on toast, scrambled eggs, ham macaroni, milk tea
L: blueberries, apple chunks, turkey, egg, bell pepper, tomato, cucumber, bread, cheese, coffee
D: tomato, fried egg, minced pork, chicken, bean sprouts, carrot, milk tea, Greek yogurt, blueberries, cantaloupe

I could easily overeat at dinner tonight because I wanted more chicken and cantaloupe but was able to stop myself from getting seconds. Phew.

May

Post by May » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:16 pm

Day 31 - N day. Success

B: PB&J toast, butter, egg, noodles, milk tea
L: tomato, cantaloupe, apple chunks, egg, turkey, cucumber, bell pepper, coffee, bread & cheese
D: chicken, sweet & sour pork, salmon, lettuce, blueberries, cantaloupe, bread & cheese, milk tea

Feeling very sluggish, low energy. Could be that time of the month. just need to stay in the green for one more day and it is S day.

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:33 pm

Good attitude!
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:45 pm

I'm totally stealing your idea about pb&condensed milk combo :lol:

May

Post by May » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:46 pm

Day 32 - N day. Success

B: peanut butter toast with butter, scrambled eggs, ham macaroni, milk tea
L: cucumber, tomato, cantaloupe, blueberries, bread & cheese, cashews, coffee, bell pepper, egg , turkey
3pm: graduation party for my students, there were lots of pastries. I only had a diet coke. Saved a pastry for my S day.
4pm: milk. Sugar free gum.
D: celebrated my boss's 60th birthday at a Chinese restaurant. We had Peking duck ( her favorite), hot & sour soup, drunken chicken, fried shrimp, pickled jellyfish, onion biscuit, salted ham, pork dumpling, lotus bun.

Still stayed in the green as I had only a small piece of everything for dinner but no seconds. I can finally relax now since tomorrow is S day :)

May

Post by May » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:06 pm

Day 33 - S day. Automatic success

B: PB&Condensed milk toast, ham macaroni, milk tea
L: husband's birthday lunch at a fancy Italian restaurant. 3 courses. Bread basket, yellow pepper soup, red wine, sirloin, mashed potato, coffee trio dessert (tiramisu, coffee tart and coffee ice-cream- all shared with husband), cheese, coffee, and petite fours
D: noodles, pork, egg, tomato, soup, winter melon, cantaloupe, apricot, milk tea

Lunch was very enjoyable. A little too much but it was a special occasion and it was a S day. Dinner's portion was much smaller since I wasn't hungry after the big lunch.

I was going to finish off the pastry I saved from work yesterday but after one bite, I realized it didn't taste good after refrigeration. So I tossed it. Can't compare to the desserts I had at lunch.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:10 pm

Annie,

I enjoyed your second post. I also lost a good deal of of weight on Atkins. But if I ge sick of steak, you know I over did it. Keep up the work.

O43
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

May

Post by May » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:48 pm

Good to hear from you Over 43.

Whenever I eat low carb, my energy level would drop so low that even walking upstairs is difficult. Now on NoS, I eat a sensible meal with all the food groups and I don't feel exhausted just from doing normal chores at home.

Day 34 - S day. Automatic success

B: PB&J toast, ham macaroni, milk tea
L: Starbucks signature sandwich, blueberry muffin, skim milk latte
4pm: coffee
D: kale, pork, mushroom, carrot, bread, cheese, milk tea, cantaloupe

This S day is pretty tame. I ate out so many times this week, need to scale it back a bit. But I didn't want to restrict my S day too much fearing it would cause me to rebel so I still enjoyed my favorite muffin :)

May

Post by May » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:48 pm

Day 35 - N day. Success

B: butter on toast, scrambled eggs, ham macaroni, milk tea
L: bread & cheese, cashews, turkey, egg, apple chunks, orange slice, tomato, bell pepper, cucumber, coffee
D: cabbage, BBQ pork, soup, cucumber, carrot, Greek yogurt, bread & cheese, orange slice, blueberries, milk tea

So bored in the afternoon but I refrained from eating out of boredom. Just feels better to keep my N day green :D

May

Don't give up

Post by May » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:57 pm

This is a post from Kneady. I have copied it here because I think it would be extremely helpful when my weight doesn't go down and I feel like giving up.
..... After the first 25 lbs, I plateaued for a few months. I'd lose maybe a pound a month for four or five months. I reexamined everything I was eating, double-checked my S vs. No S days, and couldn't understand why I wasn't making more/faster progress. Then I realized how much looser my pants felt. I noticed how much more energy I had. I decided to stop feeling sorry for myself and stick with the plan. I'm so, so glad that I did! Had I thrown in the towel then, I'm certain I would've let soda and sweets sneak their way back into my daily meals. And we all know how that story goes -- that 25 lbs will find their way home (and they'll bring friends along)!......
Last edited by May on Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May

Post by May » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:02 pm

Day 36 - N day. Success

Even though I followed the NoS rules, I think I ate too much and the food choices I made were not healthy. It has been really slow at work lately, that's why I am so bored. It is easy to use food to fill the boredom. I have to be extra vigilant.

Don't eat more because you're bored!

B: PB&J toast, egg, ham macaroni, bread, cheese, milk tea. I don't need the bread after having the toast. Should have had a smaller breakfast.
L: tomato, apple chunks, blueberries, bell pepper, cucumber, turkey, egg, coffee, satay beef macaroni. Again, I don't need the macaroni, just felt like having something with more kick.
D: curry chicken, potato, rice, kale, bread, cheese, blueberries, plum, orange slice, milk tea.

May

Post by May » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:54 am

Day 37 - N day. Success

B: peanut butter toast, butter, scrambled eggs, ham macaroni, milk tea
L: tomato, cucumber, bell pepper, turkey, egg, apple chunks, blueberries, bread & cheese, kimchi, coffee
D: sweet & sour pork, pineapple, cabbage, pork, cantaloupe, orange slices, blueberries, apricot, plum, milk tea

Weight is creeping up, probably because of portion size. Shall pay more attention while I am eating.

I did ok tonite since I was tempted to open a canned of fried eel to add to my dinner but didn't. The fact is I eat more than I am hungry for because I just want to taste different flavors.

The ability to stop eating is really something I need to practice on. Maybe I should try to make this into a habit as well.

Kittykat150

Post by Kittykat150 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:54 am

Annie,
I have read a bit about Ayurvedic practices. And in that tradition, they say to satisfy all of your tastes in each meal. If I recall the tastes are salt, sweet, spicy, sour, bitter and astringent ( drying). So maybe try to make sure all of the tastes are represented before you start eating. Maybe use some hot sauce or add some bitter greens...so that you have all the flavors and textures you desire in the moderate ONE plate.
Do you take a moment before setting up your meals and ask yourself what you really feel like eating? I know when I have the urge to keep picking at things it usually means I did not eat what I really wanted in the first place and/ or I ate it mindlessly and didn't let myself savor it.
Best wishes.
Kat
"Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn." -Harriet Beecher Stowe

May

Post by May » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:41 pm

Thanks for the suggestion Kat. I think you are right. When I crave for something after dinner, it is usually because that taste was missing from the meal. I need to give this some thought...

Day 38 - N day. Success

B: PB&J toast, butter, egg, ham macaroni, milk tea
L: cucumber, tomato, bell pepper, turkey, egg, apple chunks, blueberries, green tea bread, coffee
D: winter melon, pumpkin, pork, bean sprouts, carrot, orange slice, blueberries, apricot, milk tea

I can still decrease the portion size of dinner since I feel full/bloated afterwards.

May

Post by May » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:26 pm

Day 39 - N day. Success

B: Tempted to order the big breakfast but didn't. I had PB&J toast, butter, egg, ham macaroni, milk tea
L: tomato, bell pepper, cucumber, egg, turkey, apple chunks, blueberries, bread & cheese, coffee
3:30pm : I was hungry and only had milk while coworkers were eating the durian mooncake and sesame mooncake that my boss brought from Thailand. I saved a little slice for S day tomorrow :P
D: I wanted something sweet and savory but told myself to wait just one more day since tomorrow is S day. Don't want to blow it. I had chicken, kale, eggplant fishcake, watermelon, bread & cheese, milk tea, plum

All in all, I resisted temptation today and did pretty well. Now, I better not go overboard on S days...

May

Post by May » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:41 am

Day 40 - S day. Automatic success

I have been looking forward to Saturday for the whole week and I made sure I enjoyed this S day.

Before breakfast: tiny piece of Sesame mooncake
B: PB&J toast, butter, egg, ham macaroni, milk tea (same as always)
L: decadent chocolate muffin, sweet & sour fried fish with rice, coffee mixed with milk tea (a very common drink where I live)
D: I refrained from snacks in the afternoon so I was really hungry for dinner. I had sweet & sour pork, pineapple, lettuce, fried rice with egg/pork/salted fish, orange slices, apricot x 1, bread & cheese, cherry tomato, tiny piece of durian mooncake that I saved from work on Friday, leftover food from my mother-in-law's party (apple & potato salad, Goji berry jello)

I see a sweet & sour theme here.....

May

Post by May » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:50 am

Day 41 - S day. Automatic success

B: egg, ham macaroni, milk tea, bread & cheese
L: curry hamburger steak, egg, cheese, pork cutlet, rice, coffee
D: fish, tomato, pork, bitter melon, banana, blueberries, apricot, bread & cheese, milk tea

Lunch was hamburger steak oozing with cheese and a huge plate of curry rice. I couldn't finish everything but still had a lot. Hope I won't be too surprised with the number on the scale tomorrow.

May

Post by May » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:49 pm

....My first 10 weeks I didn't lose an ounce. I wanted to quit too but at the same time I was loving the no guilt and not having the inner dialog all day long about what I should or shouldn't do. No-S rules are pretty basic, you just do them, not much to think about and my brain was very happy. But the weight wasn't moving, but to be honest not gaining was great, it told me I was onto something and I just needed to keep doing what I was doing only more of it.

I went for an across the board plan. I cut back a bit on my 3 plates, I did by best to keep S-days sane (they are my biggest problem still and I suspect will always be). I exercised just a bit more. Once I started doing these things the weight finally started to go down. 6 months later I am down nearly 10 pounds, that is 1/2 way to my goal. Since I don't have a lot to lose I did expect it to go slow but nothing at 10 weeks??? I too was confused and frustrated. But it is pretty simple, calories in vs. calories used. I know with some meds it makes it harder, but still it's the same principle.

I honestly thought I was doing all I could do, but after I made some changes I realized that they were easier than I thought they would be. I guess I thought since I was doing so much better than before No-S, that alone would be good enough. Well, it is for some people, but not for me. I have always had a super slow metabolism and I swear I can maintain my weight on anything between 1200 and 1700 calories a day. But if I made these changes too soon in the plan I don’t know if I could have done it, I think I needed some time under my belt before I was able to push myself this little bit more. It’s important that any changes you make be small enough that you hardly notice them at all. Can’t get tired of something that you don’t even notice right? But if across the board is too much at one time, then take baby steps and do only one thing for a few weeks and then add as you go. Don’t rush yourself, it won’t help, it only burns you out.
Just putting this quote from Dawn here to remind myself to stick with NoS even if the weight is not moving down much.

May

Post by May » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:21 pm

Day 42 - N day. Success

L: tomato, bell pepper, cucumber, egg, turkey, apple, blueberries, bread & cheese, coffee
5pm: coffee, camomile tea
D: curry pork with rice, taro, apple & potato salad, broccoli, scallop, shrimp, blueberries, dried apricot x 1, orange slices, milk tea

I find it a bit hard to come back to N day after being on 2 S days. I was really hungry in the afternoon and had to drink tea AND coffee in order to get thru to dinner.

May

Post by May » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:10 pm

Day 43 - N day. Failure

B: PB&J toast, butter, ham macaroni, egg, milk tea

L: tomato, cucumber, bell peppers, turkey, egg, apple chunks, blueberries, bread & cheese, coffee. I had seconds of the bread. Should have stopped but wasn't quite satisfied.

5pm: I was hungry since 3pm so when my coworker presented me with whole grain toast with homemade jam, I succumbed and ate 1/4 of a slice. I had some milk as well. But even after that snack, I was still hungry.

D: winter melon, salted and preserved egg, BBQ pork, bean sprouts & carrot, apple chunks, plum x1, dried apricots, Musa AA banana (size of my index finger), milk tea, 85% dark chocolate x 1 piece. Ate a lot for dinner because I was just really hungry for some reason.

So I broke all 3 NoS rules today. I had a second, snack, and sweet. I am trying hard to NOT let this become the WTH effect. What should I do tomorrow? It is only Tuesday and I am already thinking about S day...

May

Post by May » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:52 pm

Day 44 - N day. Failure again

Father-in-law took the whole family to a French restaurant for dinner. Definitely failed since it was an 8-course dinner with wine and desserts. I felt so full afterwards. I will mark it and move on. Tomorrow will go back to normal.

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:13 pm

Hi Annie

Don't be disheartened. I think if I went out for a special dinner at restaurant with all the family and there were eight courses I would have to,put that down not as a failure but as an S (Special) day. I think You are doing great and have had a good run of success days up till last two. Hang in there.
Tessy

Kittykat150

Post by Kittykat150 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:25 am

Annie,
I agree with Tessy. I think it sounds like an S experience. It is important to enjoy your life along this journey.
Stick with it.
Kat :wink:
"Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn." -Harriet Beecher Stowe

May

Post by May » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:22 pm

Tessytwinkle, Kittykat: Thank you for the encouragement. I really needed it.

I was beginning to feel shaky on NoS after a few red days. But deep inside I know I won't be able to find anything more sane and sustainable than this way of eating, so I hung on. I shouldn't let a few slips derail me. But for a moment, I did consider "what the hell". I am so glad there are other NoSers on this journey who can remind me what the big picture is.

I was offered birthday cake at work today, I had to accept it since it was for my boss's 60th birthday. But I only had the blueberries and raspberries on the cake, didn't actually eat the rest. My habits are not strong enough to withstand 3 red days in a row. Other than that, it was a green day. Phew.

May

Post by May » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:53 pm

Day 46 - N day. Success

Feels good to be back in the green. Maybe dinner was a little big but at least I followed the NoS rules. Tomorrow is S day. Yay :D

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:26 pm

Annie. You are a star well done. Enjoy Saturday!!

May

Post by May » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:38 am

Thanks Tessy :) I definitely enjoyed this Saturday.

Day 47 - S day. Automatic success

Snack: Pineapple cake, mooncake
B: Peanut butter & condensed milk toast, coffee
L: Croque Monsieur, blueberry muffin, skim milk latte (all from Starbucks)
D: soup, beef, kale, salmon, tomato, noodles, bread & cheese, chocolate covered Goji berries, milk tea

My sweet tooth is satisfied.

May

Post by May » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:24 pm

Day 48 - S day.

Ate a bit more than I'd like, especially for lunch. Even though it is Sunday, I don't want to break the No S rules too much since that would make going back to Monday more difficult. Weight has definitely gone up this weekend. Oh well, I hope it will go down on N day again.

L: Red snapper, mushroom soup, bread roll, butter, potato, rice, bell pepper, milk & chocolate pudding with ice cream, coffee
Snack: cherries, coffee, banana, strawberries
D: sweet & sour pork, dumplings, salmon, kale, strawberries, bread & cheese, milk tea, plum

May

Post by May » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:31 pm

Day 49 - N day. Success

Day 50 - N day. Success

L: tomato, celery, bell pepper, bread & cheese, turkey, egg, apple chunks, apricot, coffee, plum
D: brown rice, lettuce, salmon, duck, potato, snow pea, mushroom, bread & cheese, milk tea, aloe vera

Even though it has been more than a month, I still don't think the habit is automatic. One thing I noticed after NoSing, I ask myself questions more often (e.g. Are you satisfied with the meal? Do you really want to eat that? Can you wait one more hour for food?). I seem to think more before I eat, at least on N days...

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:33 pm

Hi Annie.
Wow, 50 successful days!! Brilliant. Really interesting how you are engaging more with your body and your food but in a more positive and questioning way. It sounds like the development of a very different way of being - not hardwired yet, but sounds like it will be soon. Keep going
Tessy

May

Post by May » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:42 pm

Day 51 - N day. Success

Typhoon No.8 was hoisted so no work today. Eating at home was actually more challenging because it kinda threw me off my routine. I was able to stay green with some effort.

B: bread & cheese, butter, sprinkled with a little sugar, coffee
L: tomato, cucumber, celery, bell pepper, egg, pork cutlet, rice, coffee, walnuts, fried eel, aloe vera.
5:30pm: milk
D: cabbage, pork, noodles, tofu, tomato, apricot, apple chunk, milk tea

May

Post by May » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:22 pm

Day 52- N day. Success

L: tomato, cucumber, celery, bell pepper, apple chunks, egg, turkey, cranberry bread with pear jam, coffee, apricot
4:30pm: milk
D: curry beef brisket with potato/carrot/rice (so good I had a few too many :oops: ), lettuce, salmon, egg with bitter melon, cherries, blueberries, camomile tea

Not much change in weight but that's ok. I am enjoying my meals.

May

Post by May » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:10 pm

Day 53 - N day. Success

Had some chronic problems with digestion. Not sure if it is caused by dairy or gluten or something else. As if that wasn't enough, my prolapsed disc got worse yesterday. The pain affect my neck AND right arm. I had to do a session of physiotherapy and acupuncture. It helped a little bit. So annoying when you can't get relieve from chronic health problems.

Managed to stay in the green but REALLY need an S day. This week has been difficult due to health issues.

B: peanut butter on toast, butter, scrambled eggs, ham macaroni, milk tea
L: toasted cranberry bread with butter, cherries, blueberries, tomato, cucumber, celery, bell pepper, egg, turkey, coffee, sweet & sour pork
4:30pm: milk
D: leftover curry beef brisket, snow pea, eggplant, fish, soup, cucumber, carrot, cherries, aloe vera, banana chunk, apricot, milk tea

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:24 pm

Hi Annie. You did it, well done. I have had real problems in past with prolapsed disc, so painful and debilitating. Eating was my only comfort at one time. Chronic health issues are very hard to manage. I hope the treatments you are having give you some relief. Have a great weekend. Relax into it, that is what it is there for. Stay focused on getting the N days right. You are doing soooo well
Tessy :)

May

Post by May » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:11 pm

Thanks Tessy.

Didn't really need the muffin in the afternoon but had it anyway since I had looked forward to it for so many days. Maybe next weekend, I would feel that I can go without it. But I'll let my body decide when it is time. Don't want to rush things.

Weight didn't go down, in fact it went up a little bit. After the weekend, I anticipate that it will go up even more. Just a little anxious, I'll try not to let it affect me.

Day 54 - S day

B: chocolate x 1 piece, peanut butter and condensed milk toast, egg, ham macaroni, coffee
L: baked pork chop, rice, toast, milk tea
Snack: blueberry muffin
D: winter melon, pork, fish, bitter melon, banana x 1 chunk, cherries, dark chocolate, milk tea, crackers

May

Post by May » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:13 pm

Day 55 - S day.

I had chocolate covered Goji berries in the morning. Lunch and dinner was with a friend. It was definitely a treat. For dinner, we had soba noodles, sushi, fried pork cutlet. No snacks but I had seconds.

Day 56 - N day. Success

B: PB&J toast, egg, ham macaroni, coffee, flaxseed
L: cucumber, chicken, tomato, bell pepper, turkey, egg, strawberries, apricots, coffee
5pm: milk, tea
D: chicken, green beans, pork, broccoli + mushroom in curry, cherries, flaxseed

I added flaxseed in my diet, hope this won't make me gain weight since it is calorie dense.

May

Post by May » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:23 pm

Day 57 - N day. Failure

B: flaxseeds, PB&J toast, butter, egg, ham macaroni, milk tea (with less milk). Nuts and raisins (seconds)
L: dim sum from coworkers, tomato, cucumber, bell pepper, egg, turkey, strawberries, peach, coffee
D: flaxseeds, roasted pork & duck, lettuce, soup, carrot, chestnut, strawberries, milk tea, apple chunks

My weight increased. Not sure if it was because I had an indulgent weekend or if it was because of the fat content in flaxseed that I started taking. However, flaxseed helped a lot with my GI troubles. I may modify the quantity but will continue using it, at least for now.

After breakfast today, I still had a craving for sweets, really wanted to get a pastry or muffin ( just like my old habits). I was able to NOT go into a coffee shop. However, I still had some nuts and raisins, so I considered that a second. At least the damage was relatively small.

Added in 30 mins of walking. Don't want the weight gain to go out of hand.

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:31 pm

Hi Annie.
Well done staying out of the coffee shop! Commiserations on your failure. It happens! It happened to me too :( but overall yours was a small failure and you did not go overboard. So really well done, you will be back on track tomorrow :)
Tessy

May

Post by May » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:47 pm

Thanks Tessy.

Day 58 - N day. Success

B: flaxseed, peanut butter & condensed milk toast, butter, egg, ham macaroni, milk tea
L: tomato, cucumber, egg, bell pepper, turkey, apple chunk, bread, coffee, dumpling x 1
D: flaxseed, lettuce, pork, pumpkin, duck, bean sprouts, bell pepper, milk tea, blueberries, strawberry, apple chunk

Funny business after dinner, I took another dose of flaxseed.

jw

Post by jw » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:52 pm

Annie, thanks for reminding me about flaxseeds! They are a wonderful help. I get terrible lower back pains from dairy -- every Memorial Day I would work all day planting the garden, then suffer back pain. Then one year, I didn't plant the garden, but got the back pain anyway. Turns out it was also the first day of ice cream season!

Glad you are feeling better -- as for your little slip, just get back on the horse!
"The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective." -- El Fug

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:03 am

Well done Annie. Flaxseeds sound good. Do you just sprinkle them on your food?
Hope your neck and arm are easing off pain wise.
Tessy.

May

Post by May » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:09 pm

I just eat 1 tbsp of flaxseed by itself, whole. Then drink 2 full glasses of water. The dull pain in my neck is still there, but manageable. Thanks for asking.

Day 59 - N day. Success

B: flaxseed, PB&J toast, butter, egg, ham macaroni, milk tea
L: tomato, apple, bell pepper, cucumber, egg, turkey, bread, rice & minced pork from coworkers, coffee
D: flaxseed, curry chicken & rice/potato, snow pea, mushroom, fish, blueberries, apricot, milk tea, apple chunk

Coworkers were passing out pear slices and starfruit, I took one and saved it for tomorrow. Also declined their offer of cheese for snack.

jw

Post by jw » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:39 pm

It's been a long time, Annie -- hope all is well with you!

May

Post by May » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:53 am

Thanks for checking up on me. I am still keeping on with this way of eating.

Even though I am not using the daily check-in much anymore, I am cheering everyone on.