Returning to the fold

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

BeingGreen

Returning to the fold

Post by BeingGreen » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:31 am

I've been away a long time. I've tried this and that, sometimes to great effect, but then things get out of control and I'm back where I started.
I've kept up with the board by reading posts on and off. You are a wise bunch.
I'm looking for peace with food and for peace with my 40-something body. No S provides a structure I crave. The hardest part for me is giving up desserts after dinner. But this time around, I'm going to just jump in with both feet and hang on for dear life. The best part is that I feel like I'm coming home . . . :)

BeingGreen

Post by BeingGreen » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:24 pm

I'm back from vacation. We traveled to Yellowstone and Grand Teton from Portland. We hiked and hiked every day. We even backpacked around Shosone Lake (2 nights, 3 days) and logged 40 miles (I carried a 25lb pack). I find it so easy to lose weight on vacation and so hard when I get home. I was 128lb the morning after our return. I'm really aiming for 120lb.
The prospect of giving up 5 desserts a week is daunting, but strangely appealing and challenging. I'd like to see how it goes in August.

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:51 pm

Welcome back.

It is a sense of control and that is indeed empowering. :wink:
Berry

BeingGreen

Post by BeingGreen » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:44 pm

August was not good in the weight department!!!

Back to basics:
8/28, Day 1
B: Coffee/Silk Latte; vegan berry muffin, apple slices
L: Cucumbers, seaweed topping, watermelon, apple slices, edamame, popcorn
D: Zucchini soup, Cafe Yumm Bento box (brown rice, asian slaw, teriyaki tempeh, yumm sauce :D )
and a wee shot of amaretto when I returned home from a long board meeting (also I admit to three cajun tater tots at said board meeting but I guess I was virtual plating?)

Solid first day back

BeingGreen

Post by BeingGreen » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:28 pm

8/29, Day 2
B: Coffee/Silk Latte; vegan berry muffin, nectarine
L: Veggie ragout, pistachios, popcorn, "Silky" tea w/ sugar
D: Veg burger, tater tots, salad, pint Ruby ale

Success!
Last edited by BeingGreen on Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kittykat150

Post by Kittykat150 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:17 pm

Being Green, congratulations on a great start up. Keep the momentum. Your meals are very intriguing. Vegan or vegetarian?
Kat
:wink:
"Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn." -Harriet Beecher Stowe

BeingGreen

Post by BeingGreen » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:24 am

Thanks for the encouragement KittyKat150! I've been a vegetarian for about 15 years and I am recently vegan again for my third try :D . I eat this way to opt out of a food system that I believe is cruel and uncivilized; thinking about makes my heart ache. The other two times I tried and gave up on veganism, I felt like it was too difficult to give up childhood comfort foods (i.e., dairy), but something clicked this time and I've never felt more peaceful.

Anyway . . .
8/30, Day 3
B: Coffee/Silk Latte; vegan berry muffin
L: Spicy veggie melange, popcorn, hazelnuts, apple slices
D: Roasted beets, whole wheat pasta with vegan pesto, soy yogurt, dried fruit
Success!

8/31, Day 4
B: Coffee/Silk Latte; vegan berry muffin
L: Curried celery soup, pistachios, melon, innerpeas (Trader Joe's), tea
D: Spicy veggie melange, roasted sweet potatoes, baked tofu, wine, coconut milk chocolate ice cream
S day success!

BeingGreen

Post by BeingGreen » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:09 am

9/1, Day 5
B: Reg. latte, almond/apricot vegan scone
L: Roasted veggies, snack peas, peach
D: WW linguine/pesto, beets, celery soup, dried ginger, 2 cookies and some chocolates, popcorn (a little overboard--S day)