jw's check in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

jw

jw's check in

Post by jw » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:53 am

Starting a check in for myself -- yesterday was 21 days for me without a fail! I am 7.5 pounds down, and today is an S day and I am feeling very good!
"The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective." -- El Fug

May

Post by May » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:20 pm

Wow! 21 days without a fail is wonderful. Keep it up :D

I've had a few red days but I'll just pick myself up and continue. This journey is long and I don't want to get side tracked by a few mistakes.

jw

Post by jw » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:37 pm

Thanks, Annie! I've been enjoying the treats this weekend, believe me!
"The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective." -- El Fug

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:12 pm

Congrats and welcome!

Excellent progress so far, enjoy your weekend. :wink:
Berry

jw

Post by jw » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:17 am

Thank you, Berry -- I was reading some of your thread earlier. You seem to have made this a very happy way of life! Proof that it can be done!

jw

Post by jw » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:12 pm

Here's the plan I have been following:

Breakfast: 2 eggs and either mushrooms, veg omelet, or slice of bacon

Lunch: lots of braised or raw seasonal veg, mushrooms, onion, with 3-4 oz either skinless chicken breast, tuna, tilapia, etc., occasional wholegrain roll, fruit in season.

Dinner: lots of seasonal veg stir fried, curried, or braised, occasional rice, beans or potatoes, or pakora, or 3-4 oz. meat, fish or 1-2 oz cheese, fruit in season.

Breakfast fits on a dessert plate, lunch on a rimmed 9" plate, and dinner on a rimless 10" plate.

This comes out to 1500 - 1700 calories per day. My basal metabolism should take care of 1600 calories, at least according to the online calculator I used! This is also still fairly low carb, though not hard core. My biggest problem has been almost constant snacking between lunch and dinner, dinner and bedtime, and (only in the hot weather) huge amounts of ice cream! I don't plan to tinker with this satisfying diet unless I have to -- just eliminate all the extras! I was able to keep my weight stable through my 30's by eliminating sugar from my coffee; and through my 40's by eliminating cream. But eliminating carbs in my 50's backfired -- the least little slip led to immediate, demoralizing weight gain!

Eliminating snacks and sweets and leaving room for little planned slips occasionally sounds like the perfect middle ground.

May

Post by May » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:29 am

"But eliminating carbs in my 50's backfired -- the least little slip led to immediate, demoralizing weight gain!"
I hear ya jw.

I lost weight by eliminating carbs but as soon as I reintroduce carbs, the weight would come back. It was so frustrating. That's why I am following the NoS way of eating because this seems like something that I can actually live with long-term.

Annie
Don't give up on what you want most, for what you want now. ~ Unknown

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:10 am

Your plan sounds smilar to mine. One tip: consider having your treats right after meals, not between - I don't know about you, but in my case it causes insatiable cravings!

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:57 pm

Hi JW stopping in to say "HI" your plan looks good. I hope the very best for you!
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139
Willingness without action is fantasy

jw

Post by jw » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:00 pm

Imogen, that's good advice for S days -- and if I am leaving room for dessert, it's an automatic limit on the main course, too! I am learning that if I eat correctly at mealtimes, the lack of snacks doesn't seem so important.

Annie, isn't it amazing how successful low carb was? -- and how unforgiving! I'd rather lose at a slower pace and keep my carbs at a reasonable level.

Snapdragon, thanks for looking in and for the good wishes! So far, so good!

jw

Post by jw » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:41 pm

Friday morning weigh-in: I have lost another 0.5, for a total of 8 lbs. in 28 days. I had some pretty sketchy meals this week (OMG, ramen!??) due to a crazy schedule.

Interesting: at this time last week I knew exactly what treats I was going to have over the weekend. Today, I am not fussed about it. I count that as progress, too!

tobiasmom

Hi

Post by tobiasmom » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:20 pm

You're doing awesome!!

Jonas Jonasson

Post by Jonas Jonasson » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:37 am

Hi there, jw.
Thanks for stopping by my thread! You are really doing great!
Disclaimer (still applicable):
If a person is fairly new to English their English words and expressions are influenced by their mother tongue, so things that might sound impolite to you are not always meant in that way.

jw

Post by jw » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:01 pm

A new month. I am going to begin weighing myself only once a month. My first losses have been satisfactory, but I think (from past experience) things will start to level out now -- and I don't want my days to be about the 0.5 lb of water weight that goes up one day and down the next. . .

Also, I have a week of vacation coming up this month: I am drawing inspiration from others on this board who have done it and so I intend to enjoy it -- moderately!

jw

Post by jw » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:22 pm

Also, a new thing over the last few days: I notice that I am starting to leave white space between the items on my plate. :)

jw

Post by jw » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:50 pm

well, I hopped on the scale again, though the month is still young -- 2 more pounds down for a total of 10 lost and no red days since June 28.

I am headed into a week of vacation tomorrow, armed with Reinhard's dubious reassurance that we wage slaves can't do much damage in a week no matter what we do! My traveling companion, naturally slim, dearly loves a drink and snacks late at night on the porch near the lake -- we'll see how I hold out. I am not really worried about meals, but those evening snacks could be my downfall . . . "oh, no thanks, it will spoil my breakfast?"

If I maintain, I will be happy!

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:23 am

Hi jw

You're doing brilliantly. Enjoy that vacation. We all need holidays for rest, relaxation and fun. Don't beat yourself up about food at anytime, this seems like a blueprint for life and you are following it really well. So if the blueprint says chill out its a vacation. Then that is all ok!! Enjoy.
Tessy

May

Post by May » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:14 pm

...at night on the porch near the lake...
That sounds soooo nice. You should enjoy this well-earned vacation after working so hard on NoS.

jw

Post by jw » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:51 pm

Thank you, Annie and Tessy! I did enjoy a very relaxing time. I was not very strict with myself this vacation -- no huge portions, though, no seconds, and only a few sweets over the period of a week. But as I anticipated, late night snacking went on every evening with a glass of wine, and I was guilty! Also, breakfasts were all baked goods (not my usual breakfast), and meals were mostly sandwich-y, with not enough veg over the course of the week for my tastes. I can feel I am retaining fluid, so I won't weigh in. Still, all told, I was pretty moderate and I am just going to pick up where I left off. Nice to be back!

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:57 pm

Welcome back :)
So glad you had a good time. You highlight one of my concerns that it is harder to manage your food when you are away and there is a change to your regular meal plans. But you made it ok and now you're back ready for the next phase of your noS life. Good luck. All your plans for eating sound so wise. I am gaining hope and inspiration from you. Keep at it.
Tessy

jw

Post by jw » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:06 pm

Well, I finally weighed in to check the damage of the five red vacation days last week -- one pound down, for a total of 11 since I started on June 29! I feel like I dodged a bullet there!
But it took three days to get rid of the puffiness from the salty snacks and alcohol at night -- if I had weighed myself on Sunday, the story wouldn't have been nearly so happy!
I also noticed that a week is enough to establish a bad habit, like late night snacks, though it takes 21 days to establish a good one. I am happy to be back in my routine of No S, where late night snacks are non-negotiable.

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:08 am

Phew. Well done weight wise. Salty snacks and alcohol are dangerous if delightful indulgences - but holidays are there to be enjoyed and you did!!
Your post reminded me of how many years worth of 21 days I have behind me reinforcing BAD habits!!! Sometime forget it goes both way. Hang in there Annie you are doing great.
Tessy

May

Post by May » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:13 pm

Good job jw! It is hard to maintain weight loss on vacation. Keep it up :)

jw

Post by jw » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:07 pm

Last night I dreamed I was eating popcorn by the fistful! and I panicked and thought, wait, this is a snack, I can't do this -- I have already colored my habitcal green for today! What a relief to wake up and turn over!

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:49 pm

Hi Jw, those really are sweet dreams!! Made me chuckle. Thanks.
Tessy

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:03 pm

Lol JW ! I've had similar dreams. So funny, but I guess that shows you how important this really is to us. Glad it was just a dream. You can have our popcorn tomorrow!

Linda:)
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

Anca72

Post by Anca72 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:47 pm

I recently joined this forum and your posts have given me inspiration that this is a doable plan... thank you!
I'm a long-time low carber and felt like that was the ONLY way to lose weight. Problem was that it isn't sustainable forever. I just want to be at peace with food and this WOE points me in that direction. I find I worry a little bit when I load my plate (is it too much food.. not enough?) but I gather it will get easier in time.

jw

Post by jw » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:42 pm

Anca, I've had one day when I seriously overloaded my plate and one day when I ate way too little -- I am getting better at judging amounts and you will, too! I was also a serious low-carb true believer for a long time -- it works, but what's the point, if you can't do it long term? We need to get to the point that it becomes second nature to eat the right foods in the right amounts!

That silly popcorn dream is a good sign, as Tessy and Linda said! When you are learning a foreign language and you have your first dream in the new language, it is a sign that your unconscious mind is kicking in. And that's the goal!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:48 am

Love that analogy JW! Definitely is like learning a new language. Takes so much effort at first than at some point just kicks in and feels totally natural.

jw

Post by jw » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:57 pm

Two days of chaos -- when I got back from my vacation, I found water coming through the dining room ceiling, and yesterday I learned that all (ALL) the pipes in my ca. 1920 house were galvanized and had rusted through. Holes in the wall, holes in the ceiling ("oops, wrong place, let's try over here!"), no plumbing at all for a day, and an agitated dog barking non-stop at all the intruders for 8 hours straight . . .

I thought of ice cream! I really did! But it was too hot and humid to take the dog in the car and I didn't dare leave him alone with the plumber -- the things that sometimes save us!

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:56 pm

Wow JW you did so well to resist temptation when food has probably always been your first solace when times get hard - and it sounds like a really frustrating and hard time you have been having. Good on you :) hope it is all sorted now.
Tessy

jw

Post by jw » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:11 am

The plumbing is all sorted, thanks, Tessy -- but I will have to find someone to repair the walls and ceiling now. And I want to wait to find out the bill from the plumber before I call a contractor . . .

I can't take any credit for willpower -- it was my unruly dog who saved me from going out and treating myself to Ben and Jerry!s!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:16 am

Oh what a pain! Hope it's not too costly! I've always heard pets were good for your health. I guess it's true! :D

jw

Post by jw » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:56 am

Thinking about my weekends -- I haven't really tried to impose much S-day structure, but they seem to have naturally fallen into a pattern: Saturdays I indulge, to the point of being an idiot sometimes, Sundays are more sedate. This is the first 3-day S weekend I am encountering and I find I am just not that interested in three days in a row of sweets and treats. I am finding my appetite tempted by zucchini and pears as I think about the coming day . . .
because today is a Monday and the power of habit is kicking in!

jw

Post by jw » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:35 pm

Something clicked for me reading automatedeating's plan to have the same default meal every day for one or two meals, and I have been trying it out this week. It's brilliant!

For breakfast I basically have the same thing every day anyway -- one or two eggs and a strip of bacon or some mushrooms. I decided soup and bread was a default lunch I could look forward to 9 months of the year, so I cooked up a big pot of soup on Monday with odds and ends of ground beef, zucchini, tomatoes, a little sweet potato, onion, etc. I added noodles and one can of black beans. I've been eating it all week and it is very satisfying!

The best thing is, I have stopped thinking about all the endless varieties of lovely food I could be having for lunch, something which usually starts mid-morning with me asking myself what I might want today. When I start to feel an appetite, I default to thoughts of my soup and bread waiting for me. I love concocting soups and I love eating them, so I would say this default has real staying power!

Since one of my goals was to quit thinking so much about food, I count this a huge win!

Kittykat150

Post by Kittykat150 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:41 pm

Jw,
I automate breakfast and lunch during work weeks as well. I have two breakfasts to choose from, 1) egg sandwich and fruit or 2) cereal with trail mix. Lunch is a sandwich with a raw fruit or vegetable side. I agree with you. It makes everything easier: food shopping, prep the night before, less food thoughts and decisions. I started this habit years ago when I read it in Dr. Oz's diet book. He recommended it for all the reasons we mentioned. Keep up the good work.
Kat
"Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn." -Harriet Beecher Stowe

jw

Post by jw » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:17 am

Thanks for the reinforcement, Kittykat! So far, I only see positives --

jw

Post by jw » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:53 pm

I am headed into a busy season, so may not post much for a while, but I'll lurk/post when I can on my way to habitcal. I have more weight to lose, but I think the foundation is laid now. I am so grateful for this whole concept and for the support on this board --

I finally feel in control and comfortable with my food! Eggs for breakfast and soup for lunch as a default is a huge success -- it eases the constant mind chatter and preoccupation with food, and it's also a very satisfying option. I am down another 2 pounds, after a 2-week stall, which makes a total of 14 pounds lost since June 29. Who ever would have thought that less counting, less monitoring, less worrying, less dieting really is more. Thank you, Reinhard and No-S-ers!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:14 pm

So awesome JW! Your progress is very inspiring! I'm not as far along as you but things are definitely feeling looser--yay!!

Keep up the good work!

Linda :)

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:30 pm

Hi JW. You are really sorted on this. I am so impressed. You give me such hope that I will start losing someday soon. This really is a way of life. Good luck during your busy time.
Tessy

jw

Post by jw » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:38 pm

First big event of the season is behind me -- thanks for your good wishes, Linda and Tessy! I have been lurking, as promised -- it looks like you are both keeping the faith! My job involves lots of receptions and events, all with their own food challenges, but this one was luckily on a Saturday! Still, no lunch and a "dinner" of virtually-plated Wheat Thins, fruit, and cheese left me feeling so cheated that I came home and ate spoonfuls of chocolate syrup as if it were soup! Yikes!

But my real soup of the week, dal with chicken and veg, is now simmering and the rich smell is making me look forward to next week's "automated" lunches. The weather has turned the corner into fall, my favorite time of year -- happy Sunday, all!

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:40 pm

Oh goodness I've been there spooning syrup into my mouth as if there was no tomorrow :) however a lovely rich soup is much much more nourishing. Good planning though on your part, maybe i shall make a soup for next week. Enjoy yours. It looks like your events could be very challenging, planning is probably essential. Good luck :)
Tessy

Kittykat150

Post by Kittykat150 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:30 pm

JW,
I know what you mean when you feel cheated out of a good meal. This plan is turning me into a bit of a snob with food. I do not like to be rushed through a meal now, or to settle for whatever's available. I have been waiting for this meal, right, working up hunger and anticipation? I want it to be GOOD. Wheat Thins and cheese...ehh. Maybe with the right kind of cheese....or cheeseCAKE even!
Wishing you Better luck and Better food at the next one.
Kat :wink:
"Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn." -Harriet Beecher Stowe

jw

Post by jw » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:10 am

Thanks, Kittykat and Tessy, here's to better food next time! :lol:

jw

Post by jw » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:44 am

Another disrupted day tomorrow -- fasting in the a.m for blood work, then intern interviews from 11 - 2:30. If I don't have breakfast until 9:00, I won't want lunch before 11:00 -- but I may be starving by 2:30. Very poor planning on my part. Oh well . . . I have made myself a bacon and egg sandwich to approximate breakfast (I don't usually have bread at breakfast, but it makes the whole thing portable!) and hope to get through all right with a kind of brunch in a bag.

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:46 am

Hope it goes well :) I think breaks in routine are very very hard to handle. Brunch in a bag sounds good. Hopefully you will be so busy you won't miss having lunch. But I would hope you then find some quiet time to eat your brunch without any interruptions. I find if I am too hungry then I just can't stop, so i suggest eat slowly to give your tummy/ brain time to stop panicking!! Although I may be the wrong person to give advice :lol:
Tessy

jw

Post by jw » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:24 pm

Brunch in a bag was dee-licious -- just ask Crockett the dog, who stuck his nose in my bag and ate it all up minutes before I had to leave the house. I ended up throwing together a slice of bread, about 5" of kielbasa, and a block of cheese and eating that for breakfast at 8:30 after the labwork in the car, then a little more in my office, and then again with the ever-available wheat thins for lunch at around 1:00. Even when I have a plan, circumstances can make a mess of it!

Anyway, I ate, stopped, and ate again -- more than I normally would and all calorie dense stuff -- that's not how this diet works, so I am going to call it a red day. Grrr.

Soup for dinner and a better shot at moderation tomorrow . . .

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:43 am

Ack--I have a thief dog too so can relate! Sorry your day didn't go as planned but sounds like you did your best under the circumstances.

Hope you have a great weekend!
Linda

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:23 am

Oh dear I know that kind if a day so well. But you will be back on track now and plan differently perhaps next time - cut out the dog lunch bag part for a start :lol: :lol: have a great weekend
Tessy

jw

Post by jw » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:45 am

Thanks, Tessy and Linda -- I like to think of myself as flexible, but when it comes to this diet, I want my routine! I want to cook and sit down and eat three times a day, not grab odds and ends on the fly. Luckily, my schedule usually allows for it.

As for Crockett -- he has never stuck his nose in my bag before, so I just didn't think of it. Of course, I don't usually carry food in my bag . . . he was just being a dog!

Happy S days to you both!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:55 pm

Thanks for noticing!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

jw

Post by jw » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:25 pm

Another pound down, for a total of 15 since June 29. Painless and amazing! Doc appointment this morning, she'll be astounded.

I went into a meeting yesterday that had plates of mini-muffins scattered around the room and I used the brilliant "just for decoration" mental strategy I learned on this board. Just say "Oh, don't they look nice, they're so cute, thank you so much" and nobody notices or cares if you actually take one!

clarebear

Post by clarebear » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:26 pm

That's brilliant!! :D
Finally found a lifestyle change, not a diet!
Starting weight 167 lbs
Goal is to lose 20lbs in time for my wedding!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:26 pm

Yay JW!! You're doing so well!!!

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:12 am

JW. You are a total star!! I am so pleased for you. 15 lbs since June is awesome. You are such an important role model for me. I hope to be like you soon. Leaving muffins and staying cool is very very impressive!! Keep going
Tessy

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:59 pm

Even better is that reasonable habits are becoming routine for you. It's very reasonable not to eat mini-muffins and ruin your appetite for a good meal later. It's only in our food-crazy culture that it seems reasonable to nibble all the time or that there might be something wrong if you don't take advantage. And most people aren't keeping tabs.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

jw

Post by jw » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:39 pm

Thanks, everybody, and agreed, oolala! I love the reliability of the No S habits we are all building!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:48 pm

No matter how much I don't want to be doing this for vanity, it did help that by the time I started No S, I was older and had fewer expectations of how thin I was supposed to be. Plus, I had gotten better, IMHO, at choosing flattering outfits, so I often thought I looked good. And I do now, too, even though by the "people's choice" at a website I know of I'm still 9 lbs. heavier than my same sex/age/height peers. Funny, those peers who weigh 9 lbs. less than I do think they should weigh 3 lbs. less than that, and THOSE women think they should weigh another 2 lbs. LESS. It's only when they find women my age and height weighing 14 lbs. less than I do that they are satisfied with their weight. And those women are in the SIXTH percentile in this country. That just shows how sick our expectations are. Women can be happy only if 94% of their peers outweigh them. This is the legacy of the model/fashion/show biz industry.

Sometimes I think they should ban pictures of women under a BMI of 22.5 from the media. Or they should have to be at least in the 25Th %ile. Let our eyes get adjusted to normalcy again!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

jw

Post by jw » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:53 pm

You are so right, it's a kind of insanity! I think some of the European modeling agencies/fashion houses have actually instituted a ban like that.

I don't do much comparing myself with others any more -- and rural PA is not judgmental about weight in the way that Boston was -- or probably the west coast for that matter! But it was certainly a kind of vanity that made me think, wow, that silhouette is not the real me. I can't just throw on jeans and a sweater and look good any more, alas.

Still, I have found some fun funky pieces that make me feel great in my own skin -- and I also know that at my "ideal weight" on the charts (146 lbs), I am kind of skeletal looking, which can look great when you are 20, not so much at 62! So I am leaving the charts and graphs behind and going for the overall effect -- at the table three times a day, and in the mirror!

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:12 pm

jw wrote:I am leaving the charts and graphs behind and going for the overall effect -- at the table three times a day, and in the mirror!
That JW is the way to rock :!: :!: :lol:
Happy birthday :)

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:27 am

Happy birthday JW!!! :lol:

jw

Post by jw » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:51 am

Tessy and Linda, thank you for the birthday wishes! It was my first mid-week S day and it was strange. I didn't feel like an all out splurge, but I didn't want the day to go unmarked either -- a chocolate-marzipan bar after lunch and some spicy Indian snackies after dinner was a great compromise. And that food had been waiting for me since last weekend -- so I have reached a point where I can have food I love in the house without having it dominate my awareness!

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:48 pm

Wow. That really is impressive. Having lovely treats in the house and not eating them. I am still at the stage that when something special is around my monster munchy self never let's me forget it :( sounds like a really good birthday in lots of ways :lol:

jw

Post by jw » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:46 pm

Oh, Tessie -- my first weekend I shopped for treats on Friday night, then woke up all night long thinking of them! I had pie for breakfast that Saturday! That's when I decided not to keep treats in the house on weekdays for a while. These were things that came mail order, and so I ordered several at a time to save on shipping . . . was a little nervous, to be honest, but the habit is pretty ingrained by now. :mrgreen:

automatedeating

Happy Birthday?

Post by automatedeating » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:29 am

Hi JW, not sure which day this week your birthday was.... but mine is tomorrow and I am excited! :) It'll be my first non-weekend S day since I started 6 weeks ago.

Thanks for the encouragement about losing the scale. :?
I would stop weighing altogether but I guess I don't trust NoS enough yet to believe that I won't start gaining weight!! :roll:

You're an inspiration!
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/18-25.6; 8/18-24.5; 10/18-23.8;
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
6/20-22.5; 7/20-23.0; 9/20-23.6
4/21 - 25.2

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:24 am

Wow thanks for sharing that JW. It is so good to see how you have really changed. My downfall over the last few weeks has been on accumulated treats ordered by mail as I have allergies. I am so impressed that you have conquered this :) you are a noS star :lol:
Tessy

jw

Post by jw » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:59 pm

I had ten days behind me before I opened an account, and I didn't start a personal check-in until after I had hit the 21 day green mark, Tessy -- so my first challenges went unrecorded! Doesn't mean they didn't happen! And even today, pie for breakfast (on an S day, of course) sounds appealing . . .

jw

Post by jw » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:50 pm

Well, what go-eth before a fall? Late Friday night the rest of those addictive Indian spicy nibbles got me -- I had had a late snack of them on Wednesday, an S day for me, and on Friday night I wanted to repeat the pattern (how many days does it take to form an Indian snack habit?!). I couldn't wait for midnight and broke down! Didn't finish them off, though, it was a controlled Code Red -- but definitely an infraction.

By Monday, they will be gone. Guess I'm not as strong as I thought I was!

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:40 pm

I suspect we are never as strong as we think we are :) but we are also at times a lot stronger than we imagine we are. It all depends!! Indian snacks are made for nibbling. centuries of nibbling development went in to their creation :lol: we would all be powerless in their grip :lol: a controlled code red. I like that term so much :) have a good day tomorrow. Your habits are strong and sound. No damage done .
Tessy

jw

Post by jw » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:47 am

wow -- the internet ate my reply again! Recap: Moderate S day yesterday -- and I compared my recurring desire for midnight snacks to a stray cat -- feed it once and it will be back!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:09 am

Ack sorry about your posts--annoying! So funny about the stray cat. :) my weakness is salty/savory stuff too so can relate. Give me chips & dip over cake any day!

Here's to Mondays & the return of sanity!

Linda

jw

Post by jw » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:31 pm

Rough self-image week: I saw myself on a dvd made back in 2009 but just issued and, believe me, the camera added lots and lots of extra pounds! I suspect I weighed about the same then as I do now -- I was not yet at my heaviest! Sigh. So then of course I had to weigh myself (this was on Monday, after S days, plus an extra S day for my birthday and a Friday red event) and I was back up FIVE pounds of the 15 I had lost.

The good news -- I just went back to normal green days and by this morning had lost that five pounds, plus another one for good measure. It was all water weight from salty snacks plus very muggy weather here. So I am 16 lbs down, no harm done, and I will never again weigh in on a Monday.

Working all day tomorrow -- Open House followed by a reception. If the food is good, I'll be glad it's an S day. At least there's always wine!

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:18 pm

JW, I am so pleased you have got back into green and your weight has stabilized in the right direction. You are really on top of this I think. Good tip for everyone not to weigh on a Monday

Thank you for all your kind support of me
Tessy

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:36 pm

JW I can barely handle seeing my reflection in a glass door let alone my 3D, fully lit moving image! It's definitely not a myth that the camera adds weight & you don't even have the benefit of professional wardrobe & make up people not to mention professional cameramen trying to shoot you at flattering angles.

I always thought that's why you see actresses get too thin once they have a hit show--think clarista flockhart & Courtney cox. This article supports my theory btw: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... ounds.html

So keep what you saw in perspective. You are doing great. This is a very slow process weight wise so 16 lbs sounds right on target to me. I'm too wimpy to weigh myself but if I did, it would definitely be on a Friday not a Monday! :)

Keep up the good work!

Linda

jw

Post by jw » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:36 pm

Thank you for the reassurance, Linda and Tessy -- the film is part of an oral history project by the neighboring college, so the cameraman was a pro (at least, he was on faculty) -- he just didn't use his "skinny filter" :D . I do think I am more or less on target and most days I feel great about this whole process -- it's just always a shock to see yourself!

I agree that bone thin actresses must be influenced by their images on film -- a kind of professional, and accepted, anorexia. I'll read that article with interest!

jw

Post by jw » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:19 am

Crazy day of grabbing odds and ends of food on the run yesterday, then an evening reception -- I know it was an S day, but I realized how much I want regularity now, even on S days! This old pattern just doesn't suit me any more!

There were fantastic napoleons with a pumpkin filling at the reception, though, an S event that was really worthwhile! Happy Sunday, all --

jw

Post by jw » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:16 pm

Good green week. I continue to lose at the rate of about a pound a week: 15 weeks, 17 pounds. I am satisfied with my meals, the automated breakfasts and lunches are working out well, my S days are fun rather than guilt-inducing.

I wonder if I could stop the weigh-ins and check-ins now and just trust the process? I have this strange superstition that the minute I quit paying attention, the whole magic will fall apart. But the ultimate goal is to quit paying attention!

Kittykat150

Post by Kittykat150 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:29 pm

Quit paying attention. It is liberating. You have no idea!
Kat :wink:

jw

Post by jw » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:09 am

Kat -- :D!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:57 am

Sounds like things are going really well for you. 1 lb a week is awesome. I'm having the opposite problem of being afraid to weigh myself. I feel like it won't be as much as I thought & I'll fall apart and want to quit.

I guess I'm not much help but maybe you could try weighing yourself less often?

Linda

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:33 am

Wow JW. Your determination and application is really paying off!! Brilliant. I am so pleased for you. Weighing or not weighing Is such a hard decision. I also think it should perhaps not be a now or never decision. I have not been weighing, but as we know have not been succeeding :oops: so I have decided to weigh weekly to help me keep a focus. I truly believe noS will work, everyone's story tells me so. But I need to apply every strategy I can to make myself comply to start with, hence weigh in. While you are losing weight I am sure it encourages you to see it. But I am also sure that you will reach a point where you trust in the process enough to let go, not sure that it is yet as you feel fearful of it all going to pot. I suppose this is my VERY long-winded way of saying that day will come and when it does you will know it :)
Tessy
Ps I am probably wrong, not really in a position to comment :lol:

Kookie

Post by Kookie » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:58 am

Quit paying attention...exciting but scary thought! You'll make the right decision...doesn't have to be all or nothing, I suppose.?

I'm definitely nowhere near that but it's good to remember the big picture here. I still get so much out of checking in and need it big time. But I'm sure that will ease off...

Love your posts jw. Very encouraging and inspiring. Love the idea of default meals - lunch is always annoyingly complicated to me - find it hard to find something I love which satisfies which is easy to have every day. Will have a think. Keep going!!

jw

Post by jw » Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:50 am

Wow, thanks for the thoughtful input, ladies! I weigh once a week now, more or less. And my check-ins have been about once a week, too -- though I do like to drop in to other people's check-ins during the week.

Kat seems to have found the perfect middle ground -- she doesn't weigh or check in or use habit cal, but she does stop by to visit and cheer us all on!

Tessy and Kookie, you're quite right, it doesn't have to be all or nothing, I'll know when it's time and it will all happen quite naturally. And Linda, I really admire the "no weigh" approach -- it keeps your un-diet head on straight! Maybe that's the next step for me, to wean myself away from what's on the scale.

Anyway -- happy S days, all! I have an apple dumpling in the freezer for my first S of the weekend!

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:58 am

Hi jw, I can't seem to trust the process enough to stop weighing daily. I'm curious as to if you eventually will get to that spot.... I know I'd sure love to!

I am afraid if I don't do a daily checkin, mark traffic light on my calendar, and weigh every day that I am going to start packing on the pounds again. I guess all the accountability gives me a sense of control.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

jw

Post by jw » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:03 pm

Automated, I know! It's as if by focusing on the weekly number on the scale, I am making it happen -- and if I stop, the weight loss will stop. I'd love to just drop it, but the only times I have not weighed as an adult are when I've ditched weight loss and just done as I please and (of course) gained weight. Not a good association!

I don't know if I am ready to do it yet or not -- thanks for the support!

jw

Post by jw » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:25 am

Uneventful week of green No S, another pound down, and still feeling the urge to weigh in weekly -- in another five pounds, I will have lost 10% of my body weight and be moving out of the obese range on the BMI. Can't miss out on that -- it's momentous, like watching the mileage indicator in the car tick over 100,000!

So I am going to push away the ultimate goal of not tracking my weight until it has stabilized at whatever my body wants it to be, and continue my weekly weigh ins. No goal weight, however.

What can I say? -- it's still motivating to pay attention -- and, as they say, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!" Hope we all have enjoyable S days this weekend!

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:11 pm

Slow and steady wins the race!
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

jw

Post by jw » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:00 pm

I finally got around to trying the no-knead artisan bread OKbyXmas has been baking -- Miss Low Carb me hasn't baked bread for years and it looked so good! So, I mixed it up last night, let it proof overnight -- when I lit the oven to preheat for 30 minutes, as required, I moved the dough wrapped in its pastry cloth to the kitchen table -- and when I went back to put it in the oven, it was GONE. My lab mix Katie grabbed and ate the whole thing and dragged the pastry cloth into her kennel to chew on!

And I thought she was the good dog! Crockett stole my brunch a while back. Too many good food opportunities around here these days -- no such thing as a good dog any more!

I've mixed up a second batch -- and I can't help wondering how all that active yeast and raw dough feels in Katie's stomach right about now. :o

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:02 pm

jw, one of my greatest "guilty" pleasures about NoSing is eating bread with my dinners/soups, etc now. I feel so normal!
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:25 am

JW thanks for your kind words on my daily check in page!

Wow! You are doing brilliantly! No S definitely suits you and you are flying!

Enjoy every moment of being able to eat normal food and keep on keeping on!

(((((Hugs))))))
Hugs from Sunny South Africa
Vanilla No S with no Sugar due to Health issues - 11 yrs No S - September 2016 (some good, some bad (my own doing) but always the right thing for me!)

okbyxmas

Post by okbyxmas » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:50 pm

Oh my goodness! I can't believe your dog ate your dough! That is kind of gross because that dough doesn't look so tasty when it's ready to come out of the bowl. Did Katie get sick or does she have an iron stomach?

Kookie

Post by Kookie » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:04 pm

Awwww, naughty doggie!!! Poor doggie as well! that'll be sitting like a lump in her tummy. :cry:

I too am loving eating bread although by default I seem to have it mostly on S days. I don't know whether that's good or bad, saving everything yummy for S days! I want to start eating more of my former 'naughty' foods on N days and eating less sweets on S days! I think the two are related.

Keep up the awesome work jw!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:41 pm

So impressed with all the bread making going on around here. Don't fear bread Kookie! It really helps with satiety at meals and helps to keep your meals balanced.

Here's an interesting article:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/food/ ... d-you.html

Linda

Kookie

Post by Kookie » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:20 pm

Okay Linda! That's all the encouragement I needed ;-)

I was diagnosed with coeliacs a few years ago but a recent colonoscopy following a trial of eating gluten showed no damage so apparently I'm no longer coeliac - most strange.

I might have to follow jw's lead....(minus the dog eating the dough part ;-))

jw

Post by jw » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:41 pm

Katie thanks you all -- she must have a cast-iron digestive tract, but she's fine. I called the vet and she took a wait and see attitude (it was Sunday morning and she was going to church!), but really -- don't try this at home. According to every source I could find on the internet, raw yeast dough could kill a dog (rupture her bowel and/or cause ethanol poisoning). She has been a little constipated and slept a lot on Sunday, but otherwise has completely recovered.

Do try the bread, though. It's really simple and really good!

Kookie

Post by Kookie » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:21 pm

Oh thank God!!!!! I'm so pleased she's okay :-) Food and animals: my two great loves ;-)

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:39 pm

jw, so glad your doggie is OK!

Saw you mentioned something about parking far away.... that is what I started doing a year or two ago, way before I got serious about taking care of myself. Who knows....maybe that was the step I needed in the right direction of better life habits! Now I "park" my car really far away...in my driveway! :) ha ha that is pretty funny to me.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:05 am

Glad pup is okay! We have a wolf hybrid who seems to be able to eat anything without consequence as well.

Kookie: so weird about the celiac disease going away but I can see now why you have been weary of wheat!

Linda

jw

Post by jw » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:11 am

I don't live that far away from my workplace, automated -- maybe a half mile, but down two steep hills, and the thought of climbing back up at the end of the day is daunting! I also often run errands on the way home. When I lived in Cambridge (and didn't drive), I used to walk to work (2 miles) and then take the bus home -- I loved that morning walk, it just sorted life out! Maybe I'll try for a walking routine after the clocks change. You're inspiring me!

jw

Post by jw » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:17 am

A wolf hybrid, Linda! beautiful, I'll bet! Katie is a lab mix; Crockett is Heinz 57 varieties and looks a bit like a wolfhound, though not so tall. They have both eaten things that are supposed to be toxic without ill effects, but you never know!