jw's check in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:24 am

Yep JW she's beautiful & so sweet. Our other dog is a shihtzu. So funny because despite their size differences, they're best friends.

Love labs. We used to have a black one. They are very food motivated. Maybe I was a lab in my last life! :). Crockett sounds great. Mutts are so hearty!
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:13 am

Yeah, jw, go for those morning walks! :) I know this sounds a little weird, but I actually like it when it is dark and cold (even rainy) on my walks. It's as if I am stealing quiet time.

That's right, the clocks will give me an extra hour of sleep this weekend!! Thanks for reminding me......that was the encouragement I needed.

And jw and Linda, sounds like you both have wonderful dogs. My very bestest walking buddy (a border collie) died 7 years ago, and it was only thanks to NoS and its sanity that I have picked up walking again recently.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/18-25.6; 8/18-24.5; 10/18-23.8;
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
6/20-22.5; 7/20-23.0; 9/20-23.6
4/21 - 25.2

jw

Post by jw » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:37 pm

Automated, if I had a more outdoorsy life (and/or a herd of sheep!), a border collie would be my dog of choice. Friends in Wales had three of them and I fell in love -- so smart and good! They herded us (their humans) across a field with a bull once, I'll never forget!

But back to No S -- I thought I wasn't going to take an S day yesterday, then got jealous imagining everybody else eating their treats, so I had some crystallized ginger after dinner. As Linda called it, a greeny-yellow day, maybe with some red overtones!

No matter -- green today and tomorrow is a Dia de los Muertos potluck to look forward to!
"The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective." -- El Fug

jw

Post by jw » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:21 pm

I ended up starting off November with a red day, my third -- took seconds on a new cornbread recipe I was trying out, and then a short bout of WTH with snack mix after dinner.

Yesterday was one of those potlucks where everybody brought either bread or dessert -- all good, all S -- but I woke up with a bad taste in my mouth from too many carbs.

Feeling very restless about food in general. Every year when the seasons change, I have to revamp my cooking (no more zucchini, winter squash instead!) and there's an interval when I just don't know what I want for dinner or if I can be bothered to cook it!

I hope this coming week is more settled, but there's a lot of schedule chaos and late meetings ahead, plus a big event next Saturday . . . I just reread this and it sounds like I am telegraphing my intention to fail! I am not -- just trying to gear up! Good luck to all!
"The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective." -- El Fug

clarebear

Post by clarebear » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:57 pm

Good luck JW, I completely see where you're coming from. Just gotta ride with it :)
Finally found a lifestyle change, not a diet!
Starting weight 167 lbs
Goal is to lose 20lbs in time for my wedding!

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:59 pm

Good job to make the WTH session "short", jw! In mountain climbing they call that a "self-arrest" when they stop themselves during a fall! :)
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

Kittykat150

Post by Kittykat150 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:16 am

Seasons changing has me wondering about holiday habits as well. We just have to keep moving through it. Good luck. We are in a better place to handle these challenges than last year!
Kat
"Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn." -Harriet Beecher Stowe

clarebear

Post by clarebear » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:18 am

I second that Kat :D
Starting weight 167 lbs

jw

Post by jw » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:44 pm

Love the idea of a self-arrest, automated! That's really what it was, too -- I had a double handful of spicy snacks, then stopped. There's plenty more in the bag!

I didn't weigh myself this past week. I feel like I am putting on my winter body, just like the cats and squirrels, plumping up for the cold weather. Hard to say if that's real or illusion but I didn't want to confirm it! I did wear a sweater yesterday that was very tight in all the wrong places last year, though -- and I could see the difference No S has made this year.

Onward!

finallyfull

Post by finallyfull » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:27 pm

That sweater fitting better is awesome! I think we might breeze too quickly past the successes and linger too long on the bumps along the way.

I hate WTH -- somehow for me it often starts with NOT being hungry enough. "Oh, I'm not really hungry (I'm so "virtuous") so I'll just have a bite....." I think that's my main problem on weekends. I'm never hungry so I eat all the time. Ha!

jw

Post by jw » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:02 pm

finallyfull, there's something to that -- about ten years ago, my mother lost her sense of taste for almost a year. She ate MORE -- she said she had to keep trying different things to see if this next bite wasn't the one that would make a difference. When we're not hungry and eat, maybe we're also hoping this next treat is the one that gives us what we're looking for . . .

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:09 pm

Seems like a lot of us are struggling a bit but I can also see we are regrouping and getting back on track. Yay for looser sweaters!

Kookie

Post by Kookie » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:40 am

Hi jw. It's great to hear about your self-arrest...that WTH effect is deadly and really comes from perfectionistic thinking ie I've blown it now (with one wrong bite) so I may as well really blow it properly and start perfectly tomorrow...or next month. As Reinhard says, punishing ourselves or trying to make restitution for failures is totally counter-productive, just mark it and move on. And, as you are doing, foreseeing (and fore-planning for) the up'n coming chaos is definitely a good idea so that you can decide in advance how you can navigate it safely. I'm jealous of your gorgeous doggies! Look forward to hearing about your walking developments....1/2 mile with 2 steep hills sounds perfect :wink:

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:59 am

jw wrote:finallyfull, there's something to that -- about ten years ago, my mother lost her sense of taste for almost a year. She ate MORE -- she said she had to keep trying different things to see if this next bite wasn't the one that would make a difference. When we're not hungry and eat, maybe we're also hoping this next treat is the one that gives us what we're looking for . . .
This is a real epiphany for me! It rings very true if it comes to S-days, and I feel many of those who struggle with them can relate: eating just because you can won't make you satisfied, ever. You need to really, soulfully crave something specific, and then satisfy that craving. There are no shortcuts. Otherwise you can keep eating and eating and eating some more, and you willl never feel like it's been enough.
Sorry I've hijacked your check-in thread, but this was such a brilliant, brilliant observation! Mind if I quote you on the general board?

jw

Post by jw » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:57 am

Wow, Imogen -- so glad that struck a chord! I'll tell my mum -- she's 86 and still avidly interested in health questions. And no hijack -- it's all just good conversations!

jw

Post by jw » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:55 pm

Kookie, I still haven't started a walk to work routine -- I keep having other places to go where I need the car. I did a lot more walking in the city -- in this rural area, everything you need is 8 miles away (in three different directions!) Anyway, my older boy, Crockett, is 12 and has congestive heart disease, so we don't walk as much as we used to -- and Katie was a full-grown, strong dog who had never been on a leash when I adopted her. They have to be walked separately, their needs are so different -- so I do get that amount of exercise in!

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:11 pm

jw wrote:finallyfull, there's something to that -- about ten years ago, my mother lost her sense of taste for almost a year. She ate MORE -- she said she had to keep trying different things to see if this next bite wasn't the one that would make a difference. When we're not hungry and eat, maybe we're also hoping this next treat is the one that gives us what we're looking for . . .
Great story!

I totally agree with Imogen about this making perfect sense. I know when the food I have isn't satisfying, I sometimes eat more of it. (Conference food comes to mind here...) Rationally, makes NO sense. But physiologically, it does - we just keep "foraging," looking for sustenance.

Something to be mindful about.

jw

Post by jw » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:14 pm

Sore throat, I feel a cold brewing and I have a day of meetings today and two events tomorrow. I had lemon and honey before bed last night and I did NOT change my green habitcal -- nobody would consider that a snack or a sweet.

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:49 pm

Sick days are also S's... not "go-wild" S's, but "take care of yourself as needed" S's.

Feel better soon.

jw

Post by jw » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:01 pm

Thanks, KCCC -- lemon and honey, sweet tea, chicken broth with garlic, ginger are on the menu. This is an official S day.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:45 am

Hi jw, hope you feel better soon.

Walking two dogs separately sounds very Rangery to me. :) If I still had my dog, that would be my preferred exercise (rather than walking to/from work, which presents some logistical challenges).

Not sure if you have Veteran's Day off Monday.... hope you do so you can rest up.

I'm curious.... how are you going to deal with S days during Thanksgiving? Th and Fri? Just Thursday? Something else? I'd like to start brainstorming ahead of time!!!!!
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

jw

Post by jw » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:46 am

Thanks, automated! I took a 4-hour nap and am feeling a little better -- working all day tomorrow, too, so I have to hold it together. And I am working Monday -- we can choose either Veteran's Day or the Friday after Thanksgiving and I'd rather have the 4-day weekend!

I am not sure what we are doing for Thanksgiving this year -- my parents, who live 2 hours away, are not entirely well and the sisters who live nearest them are trying to work things out so that everything will be easy for them. We have taken turns the last few years taking dinner to them, rather than all descending on them at once -- it's a big family and my mother is just not up for that big a crowd any more. So I'll surely take an S day -- but I don't think I'll take any leftovers home for Friday, wherever dinner ends up being! It sure makes moderation easier if Thanksgiving is not in the house --

Kittykat150

Post by Kittykat150 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:36 pm

Same here JW. We are going to a restaurant with family. Lots of choices for everyone's tastes and no leftovers. We went to the same place last year and it was great. I will only reign in my desserts because I am not a big holiday meal eater. but the "dessert room" at this place is what dreams are made of! Two dessert choices will be my limit.
Even if I had cooked dinner at home, automated, my leftover problems would only be the desserts and maybe stuffing. I would suggest you only take Thursday as an S day because the weekend is right there, anyway. Why have 4S days in a row? Can you imagine how hard going back to a straight N day will be on that Monday?
Something to think about. It is good to plan ahead.
Kat
"Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn." -Harriet Beecher Stowe

jw

Post by jw » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:55 pm

"Why have 4 S days in a row? "

Good point, Kat! The last three-day weekend we had, I didn't want the third S day for that very reason -- and my body really wanted to get back to N, strangely enough!

I'm in the middle of this cold now, had not much to eat yesterday and have absolutely no desire for sweets at all (except for lemon and honey!) So I am "wasting" S days, I guess, but following my appetite. Maybe I'll have seconds on comfort food later on.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:28 pm

So sorry you're not feeling well! I hope it passes quickly.

Linda

jw

Post by jw » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:54 pm

Feeling so much better, thanks, Linda! My S days featured multiple helpings of chicken soup and toast, spoonfuls of honey and lemon, and half a bag of crystallized ginger. I didn't really understand the S for sick days before, but now I do -- a lot of my eating came from wanting to relieve the sore throat every hour or so, not from hunger.

Anyway, my appetite is back in full force today, so let's make it a green week!

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:47 am

Glad you're feeling better!

(Totally hear you on wanting to eat to soothe a sore throat - I do that too.)

keep on going NMW

Post by keep on going NMW » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:15 am

Hi JW. Glad you are better. I enjoy reading your thread.
I am training for a marathon, not a sprint!
Start weight 179
Dec 17 2013..177.8

clarebear

Post by clarebear » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:21 am

glad you are better JW, you've made me want chicken soup for my dinner :)
Starting weight 167 lbs

jw

Post by jw » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:41 pm

Thanks, KCCC, Clarebear, and Keep on Going NMW! I am well again, but chaos is on the agenda today -- the contractors are finally coming today to redo the ceiling and walls damaged during the plumbing fiasco in August. I am taking the more unmanageable dog to work with me (God help us all!) -- I have a feeling I won't even have time to think about food today!

And in general, I have noticed lately when I am really busy multi-tasking or in high concentration mode, I don't think about food for hours! This is new --

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:08 pm

Hi jw, good luck with the pup at work with you and the contractors working on your home!

I also don't get hungry while focused on work between meals. I think I've always been sort of like that, but now it's.... how shall we say.... habit? :)

So that is one of several reasons why NoS works well on workdays. I didn't work on Veteran's day, and definitely dealt with more snacky urges.

Are you is taking the dog that ate your rising bread? Oh, no, it's not her, you said that was the "good" dog! I bet your coworkers will love having a dog around today.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

jw

Post by jw » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:28 pm

Automated, I am taking Crockett, my big old gangly over-protective mutt. Katie is kennel trained and much easier to leave -- Crockett would break his teeth trying to get out of the kennel to bark at the contractors! So he's coming to work.

People love him, he's very endearing -- but he doesn't love them back, unfortunately. I don't have any near co-workers -- I am alone on that floor -- but I do have a meeting at 10:30 and I have lots of walk-in traffic. I actually posted a warning on my facebook page! Luckily he's not territorial about my workplace . . . but I have a feeling he's going to cramp my style today :(

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:32 am

jw, how'd it go?!!?
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:57 am

I'm wondering too!! Hope all is well w pups & house!

jw

Post by jw » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:25 pm

Automated and Linda, you're so sweet to ask -- he was a dream dog! He respectfully walked up to each of the six people in my meeting, made their acquaintance, accepted a treat or two, then lay down! Couldn't believe how well it went! Then I brought him home to a house full of workers and he went nuts. I realized he was willing to accept them, too -- but they kept going in and out and every time one tried to leave or enter, he went into guard mode . . . I remember when I first adopted him, he tried to prevent me from leaving the house, actually grabbed my wrist in his teeth!

Anyway, the dining room is back to normal -- the place is finally cleaned up -- and I learned something new about my dog!

No S with default breakfast and lunch continues to be a rock solid guide, even through chaotic days like Wednesday!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:09 am

Yay for the puppy! And yay for sticking with NoS through all the chaos!

jw

Post by jw » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:16 am

Excellent week -- for the first time, schedule disruptions didn't make a difference! I was up at 4 one morning -- just couldn't sleep -- and had breakfast by 5, then nothing until lunch at 12:30 -- over seven hours. Today, I had lunch at noon and didn't get to dinner until 7:40 -- nearly eight hours. I had an appetite, but I wasn't starving and didn't eat more than usual. I seem to have graduated from my attachment to routine on N days!

I am also heading into a second week without weighing in -- losing the urge! I didn't really do anything last weekend for S days except ladle up a second bowl of chicken soup -- and I am wondering what my S days will look like this weekend.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:13 am

Jw, I have been losing my urge to weigh so often, too. I tentatively hope this is a good sign for us.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:22 pm

So glad your week went well JW & hope your weekend does too!

Btw you & automated are two of the most supportive people on here so I definitely beat you both in the mean category (outspoken). Sometimes I cringe when I re-read my responses because I can sound so preachy at times. I generally think it's good to speak up though because you never know when what you say might help somebody.

Anyway happy Sunday!

Linda :)

jw

Post by jw » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:31 pm

LOL, Linda -- too funny that we all think we are such meanies! this is my first experience with an online message board and I love how all round positive it has been.

S days have gone very well -- I made a pumpkin cornbread crumble yesterday, but today treats have been limited to fresh-baked bread with butter and honey. Gray day, with high winds predicted this afternoon, a nice day to stay in and bake. Soup of the week: lentils with sausage and veg.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:25 am

jw, I bet you are enjoying that lentil and sausage soup this week! Tell you what, I'll watch your dogs when you go out of town and you can cook for me! :)
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

jw

Post by jw » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:30 pm

Works for me, automated! :D

jw

Post by jw » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:25 pm

Twenty down since July!

And in another three pounds (= 3 weeks, if Thanksgiving doesn't upset my progress), I will have lost one tenth of my starting weight. Yay, No S!

I am going to wait to post a testimonial until I have both records behind me and have successfully survived the holidays, though. Having a success right before the holidays is in a way an invitation to disaster ("Oh, you've done so well, jw, you deserve a reward or three! Have another pecan pie!")

But it sure made me do a happy dance on this gray November morning!

eschano

Post by eschano » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:02 pm

Well deserved success! Hurray!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:57 am

Yay JW!!!!!! That is SO awesome & you are giving me much needed hope!! Youre going to do great during the holidays I know it. Just keep those S days to a minimal & you should be fine.

jw

Post by jw » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:37 pm

Thanks, ladies! I don't see Thanksgiving as a big hurdle, Linda -- it's only one day, one plate plus dessert -- but Christmas doings start right after. And there are so many seasonal things that you want to eat out of nostalgia and sentiment rather than hunger! If I can limit my S's to the really special things, I hope to stay on track.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:50 am

Holidays are definitely tough. I guess being jewish I get off easy esp this year since Hanukkah & thanksgiving fall on the same day! Unless I make all 8 days an S day I should be good.

Hopefully things will go smoothly for you. Having a game plan will be helpful.

Linda

jw

Post by jw » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:44 am

Another "wasted" S weekend -- I made a meatloaf yesterday, my mother's recipe, had seconds but nothing too over-the-top, and woke up about 5 a.m. sick as a dog. Miserable morning, then lunch and dinner limited to soup and bread. Feeling better now -- I think the ground meat must have been "off." The sad thing is, I'll never be able to eat it again . . . once something has made me sick, it's off my list for good.

Two feet of snow outside meant I didn't even think about shopping for treats or even digging out my car! Snow is to continue through the night, then another wave of storms is coming through Tuesday and Wednesday -- time to hibernate!

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:20 pm

So sorry! Feel better soon.

cbecker

Post by cbecker » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:30 pm

Great job on your 20 pounds lost!!!

Hope you feel better and stay warm!

jw

Post by jw » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:51 pm

Feeling much better, thanks for the good wishes, KCCC and c!

And all my failed intentions about exercise? shoveling snow for an hour yesterday and again today is exercise! And more snow will fall tomorrow and Wednesday . . . and if it's bad enough, I'll be walking to work and back, too! Mother Nature has had enough of my couch potato life, I guess!

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:55 pm

That's what I call shovel gloving, in every sense of the phrase! Go jw!
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:14 am

Yay for built in exercise. Glad you're feeling better!

jw

Post by jw » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:06 pm

I walked to work anyway! it was great!

jw

Post by jw » Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:54 pm

Well, all my plans for a restaurant Thanksgiving were blown away with the big snowstorms we've been having -- 30" over the past week.

My sister and her husband took Thanksgiving dinner to my parents, so that was OK. I had two invitations here in town, but when it came to digging out the car, I only got it halfway clear after ninety minutes of digging. Then thought, "it's a holiday, I don't have to go anywhere," went back in the house and cooked myself a turkey breast with stuffing and cranberry sauce. The basics -- delicious!

I did snack on stuffing and I did take seconds, but I wasn't prepared with any sweets, so it was a moderate-ish S day. Even so, today I feel ready for an N day and another go at the car. Yes, automated, it involves both a shovel and gloves and I've had the equivalent of about 12 shovelglove sessions over the past week!

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:13 am

:lol: I love your accidential shovelglove routine. Well done on all accounts. Chrismas dinner is just around the corner
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

jw

Post by jw » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:57 pm

And I love the way you are saving up your chocolates from the Advent Calendar, eschano!

I walked to work again today. All my digging out just exposed the sheet of ice under the car, and if there's one thing I hate, it's getting stuck on the ice half in and half out of traffic. I'd rather walk. I have studded boots, but not studded tires!

This 4-day weekend was interesting -- I treated it as a moderate S time, had seconds of turkey and trimmings twice, had hot, fresh-baked bread with butter and honey as it came out of the oven twice (it wasn't meal time!), but otherwise, ate as I normally would on an N day. No sweets unless you count the cranberry sauce and some crystallized ginger -- I hadn't bought them and didn't miss them.

So -- one holiday down and a few more to go!

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:17 pm

Inspiring walking by necessity, jw. How long is your walk to work?
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

jw

Post by jw » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:27 pm

15 minutes down and half an hour up! It's not the length of the walk, it's the thought of tackling those two steep hills at the end of the day! But I have actually enjoyed it --

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:37 am

You're doing great JW both with moderate eating and starting some exercising. Yay!!!

Linda

jw

Post by jw » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:24 pm

For the first time since starting No S, I am up a pound on my weekly weigh-in. Thanksgiving damage? Not too bad, I guess -- but then, I had a very modest Thanksgiving and didn't expect any damage at all.

I think I've been loading up the plates a little more lately -- it's been an anxious time (city budget deliberations: raise taxes or cut programs, one of which would almost surely be mine) and, even though I haven't fallen into snacking or bingeing, I have been eating more bread with my meals. I used to make a small loaf last all week, but now I am having to bake/shop for more on Thursdays.

So -- back to bread with soup, but not with the other more calorie dense meals. It helps that the budget got through the second reading last night with my program intact! One more reading to go . . .

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:19 pm

Jw, the extra snow shoveling and walking in the cold can actually ratchet up your appetite, too, I think! Remember when that happened to me a couple weeks ago? I was so hungry for about a week and really loaded up my plates..... And gained about a pound, just like you.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:34 am

I wouldn't worry about a pound too much with water fluctuations and all that it probably doesn't mean a whole lot. Still it's frustrating I know. Just don't let it discourage you though. You're doing great!

Linda

jw

Post by jw » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:38 pm

Thanks, automated and Linda, for putting things in perspective! I remember thinking that your appetite coincided with the additional ballet exercises, automated, but I am not far enough away from myself to see the same thing in my own life! And I am retaining fluid a bit, Linda, not sure why.

I don't want to get all obsessive over it and dampen the season -- this is December, I want to enjoy what there is to enjoy but not go nuts in between the family parties, etc. If I maintain, that's great, if I add a pound or two, there will be plenty of time in dull January and February to lose them again.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:31 pm

jw, I know you will do fine. And I think this is good spot to remind us..... moderate eating is a marathon, not a sprint. December is just one month, and we'll still be here plugging away at building habits long after the decorations come down! :)
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:36 am

Hi there, I'm so sorry..I checked and I never did stop by to thank you for welcoming me back to No S.

:mrgreen:
Age 56: SBMI=30.6 (12/1/13) CBMI 28.9 (2/2/14) GBMI-24.8

jw

Post by jw » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:33 pm

Success story -- sort of. Today is really cold, subzero windchills, so I put on my silk long johns under my knit dress pants this morning. While I was walking around the house, feeding the dogs, etc., I noticed a strange feeling -- and before I knew what was happening, my pants fell down! :lol:

Glad I wasn't out in the world when this happened!

Weight loss + slippery, slidey fabrics = disaster OR slapstick (depending on where you sit!)

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:49 pm

Ha! Yes, that's a success story at home, a true comedic adventure at work!!
I love it, you have made my day!!
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:29 pm

What wonderful (and funny!) evidence of your success!

There was a thread here, if memory serves (which is iffy), on the "my pants fell down" club...

Congrats on being inducted into that select group!!

jw

Post by jw » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:20 pm

Now that's a club I am proud to join, KCCC! I will wear my clown shoes to the first meeting!

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:55 pm

Well done! I would love my pants to fall down! :D :D :D
53 years old
Average weight loss:
May 18 - 2.45lbs

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:55 pm

Lol JW that's great! Glad your pups were the only one to witness!

Sounds like you'll need to go shopping soon!:)

jw

Post by jw » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:59 am

Thanks, Linda, automated, and idontknow!

I am back down at 20 lbs lost, as wise friends predicted -- funny, it's so easy to tell other people not to worry about the scale, but when mine took an upward turn for a week or so, I was totally bent out of shape!

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:34 am

That is too funny! What a nice surprise to you I bet..I never in my life had a pair of pants fall down :mrgreen:
Age 56: SBMI=30.6 (12/1/13) CBMI 28.9 (2/2/14) GBMI-24.8

jw

Post by jw » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:11 pm

I can't eat the way I used to! Crazy weekend -- big reception Saturday cancelled due to snowstorm and the food went home with anyone who would take it. I was selective: pecan pie and chocolate covered gingerbread! and Camembert and wine. And it was an S weekend and a snow day and the holidays, so I feasted. Feasted a little more on Sunday. By Monday, I had an epically terrible bellyache and other digestive troubles!

I am sort of delighted. I could have eaten my way through that and more last year at this time, without a moment's discomfort. So my habits have changed, but more importantly, my body has changed! It just won't put up with this nonsense any more!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:55 pm

You had to live it to see it. So worth it!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

jw

Post by jw » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:08 pm

Absolutely, oolala! Live and learn and then learn some more!

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:27 pm

Another fun "problem" to have, jw! :) First flying clothes, now your body is rejecting overeating!
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:21 am

jw, do you have a goal in mind for NoS? Such as posting your testimonial at 10 months or one year, or 10% body weight, etc.? I know you'll have a great one.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:51 am

Wondering how you're doing JW? Hope all is well!

Linda

jw

Post by jw » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:11 pm

Thanks for the messages, automated and Linda! and thanks for drawing me out of hibernation here! I am thinking I will post a testimonial when I hit 10% of my starting weight lost -- that would be 23 lbs. January 1st will be my 6 month anniversary -- but I am not weighing in during these food-fraught holiday weeks, so I am not sure when I will hit the magic number! Last time I looked, I was at 20 down -- I have tried to keep to three plates, and I have had my share of treats, but I am not going to worry about either dates or numbers on the scale just now!

Lovely family gathering yesterday and now I am back at work and life will soon be back to normal. We have First Night in my town, a very busy New Year's Eve which is not food-and-drink-centered at all. So -- onward!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:06 pm

So glad you're doing well & got through the holidays so nicely! Well done! I wouldn't worry about a specific goal either.

Enjoy the journey--you're doing so great!

Linda

jw

Post by jw » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:16 pm

The decorations are down, the sweets and treats are gone, and the first soup of 2014 is on! What a relief -- like that N-day relief on Monday mornings, but moreso! Happy New Year, everybody!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:25 pm

Yay--you did it! Happy New Year and thanks so much for stopping by my thread. You always know just what to say.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:49 am

So enterprising! I'm envious.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

jw

Post by jw » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:05 pm

Well, not an auspicious start to the new year -- I ended up eating a whole extra meal yesterday! Woke really, really early and had breakfast at about 5:00 am, then left work to come home early because of the terrible weather and ended up having lunch at about 11:00 am. Was starving for dinner by 4:00, so went ahead and had a very satisfying dinner (I often have dinner early, so it wasn't unheard-of . . .). And then was starving for dinner again by 9:00 pm and caved!

No sweets, no snacks, no seconds -- just a whole fourth plate full of food! Yikes!

jw

Post by jw » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:11 pm

Friday was back to normal N -- that's a relief! That sudden ravenous appetite is not something I would want to battle every day! It reminded me of a year or so ago when I was on prednisone for a couple of months -- I was gaining 10 pounds a month and always starving . . . anyway, it's all good now.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:14 pm

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Eating because you were hungry is very different than eating out of boredom or stress. The fact that you just added another meal instead of nonstop snacking shows how much the meal habit is ingrained in you.

Have a great weekend!

Linda

jw

Post by jw » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:59 pm

Thanks, Linda! I know we say a lot about hunger not being an emergency -- but that hunger really sneaked up on me! I've had a very mild S weekend, though -- I don't think the extra meal will become a habit!

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:51 am

We could all take the NoS Hobbit-style approach: Breakfast, 2nd Breakfasts, elevensies, luncheon, afternoon tea, dinner and supper. ;)
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

jw

Post by jw » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:24 am

LOL! No S's but unlimited mealtimes! When I lived in Germany, the kids in the school where I worked had second breakfast at around 10:15 -- and the teachers all had 4:00 pm cake and coffee. How did we all stay so thin?

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:05 pm

I think the fact that you haven't mindlessly snacked for so long increases your ability to judge that you weren't just kidding yourself in this recent situation of eating 4 meals. You know what it is to be legitimately hungry, and you were. Obviously, a nice cup of tea wasn't going to cut it!

I guess Germans are thinner than their reputation...

It actually makes me a little nervous anymore to think about having cake and coffee every day at any time, not to mention 4 p.m. But I have read that Italians eat sweet bready things along with their coffee for breakfast just about every day. But not a mountain of them, and nothing more until lunch. I just actually prefer more savory foods now and wouldn't want to give up any of them to accommodate the sweets. Only so much room on the plate or in the tummy.

BTW, I believe the fact that I still have food thoughts is related to other stuff that doesn't have much to do with diets anymore, I don't think. Honestly, I THOUGHT about dieting and trying to eat less a lot more than I ever actually did it. I can't blame my problems on starving myself very often. I told someone recently that I starved myself of approval in that area. I'm pretty sure that among women at least, I was not alone.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

jw

Post by jw » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:09 am

"I starved myself of approval in that area. I'm pretty sure that among women at least, I was not alone."

It is heartbreaking, how hard we are on ourselves, isn't it? Somebody talked recently about how matter-of-fact Reinhard is -- no shame or guilt, no approval or judgment, just data and behavior. Maybe it's a guy thing! It's refreshing -- so much gentler than some of the thoughts we are encouraged to use to motivate ourselves.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:00 am

Although men can have their self-judgment with food and their bodies, I think it's less likely. Researchers have found that men often underestimate how heavy they are and definitely usually have lower weight goal expectations. I mean, a guy can say, yeah, I eat like a pig, and it hardly really means anything to him. It's like, so what? He'll lift up his shirt and slap his belly and laugh. A lot of women would practically die before they'd do such a thing. They joke about it but underneath, they really believe they're damaged goods because of not meeting the standard.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

jw

Post by jw » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:58 pm

It's all in where we're taught to find our self-esteem, isn't it? I feel lucky that I wasn't raised with guilt or expectations around eating or weight -- by the time I finally got fat in my 50's, I had a cast-iron ego! I just bought plus size fashion magazines and carried on! I still don't feel guilt around food -- but I do have this persistent conviction that the "real" me is thin!

jw

Post by jw » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:04 pm

Emergency S day last night -- we lost power in my neighborhood from midnight until about 5 a.m. No heat, and the temps were the coldest in 20 years: -15 F, winds up to 30 mph, with wind chills of -55F. I put on several layers of clothes and piled myself and the dogs together on the couch, then drank the coffee left in the thermos carafe (still hot!) and ate some leftover pizza. Generating internal heat! I was just starting to feel chilly when the power and heat came back on --

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:19 pm

Omygoodness!! You poor thing! Glad you finally got your electricity back on but next time hop on a plane & you can defrost in my backyard. ;)

chani8

Post by chani8 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:23 pm

You did what you had to do to get through that power out.

I find it very hard in the winter to not drink coffee all day, and only recently gave it up for herbal tea and it's almost as satisfying. Not. ;)

I had a Sick S moment and allowed myself to eat warm nuts, which cheered me considerably.

So we do what we gotta do. And we're way better off than we used to be.
`Chani8
I'm a 44yo, married, Jewish, mother, and foster mom, living in Israel. I eat low carb, count calories, eat 'clean', love kosher, and live primal. I workout impulsively. I'm new to the No S Diet and I love it!

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:25 pm

jw wrote:It's all in where we're taught to find our self-esteem, isn't it? I feel lucky that I wasn't raised with guilt or expectations around eating or weight -- by the time I finally got fat in my 50's, I had a cast-iron ego! I just bought plus size fashion magazines and carried on! I still don't feel guilt around food -- but I do have this persistent conviction that the "real" me is thin!
I love this! Fantastic stuff to inspire us all. I wouldn't say I have a "cast-iron" ego, but I am OK with my body in general.

Oh, and although I agree that men generally have an easier time body-image-wise, in my house, it's my husband that is more self-conscious about his body than me! He was raised to be perfect: dress, attitude, performance, and of course fit and athletic! So he gets to deal with lots of baggage now (me, too, of course, some of my baggage is just different).
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

jw

Post by jw » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:41 pm

It's gone up to -6 F now (wind chill -26 F), car won't start, office is closed, lots of downtown businesses closed, too -- lots of time to catch up with my No-S friends today! Linda, the offer of sunshine is certainly tempting! :)

And automated -- I've got plenty of other baggage, too, of course -- it's a blessing I didn't also have to beat myself up when my body started changing! It really is all in what we've internalized as important and -- sometimes -- how willing we are to let go of that or at least see it in perspective. Interesting that your husband has the perfectionist baggage in your house. That can be even harder on a guy than on a woman!

Interrupted just now by another 30-minute power outage! Maybe it's time to go put something on the stove!