Wosnes's Dinner Diary

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:55 pm

Last night's dinner was Sausage, Potato and Cabbage Skillet Fry which reminds me a lot of the Poorman's Meal from Depression Era Cooking.

Tonight's dinner with be either Mama Canales-Garcia's Avocado Shrimp Salsa (served as a taco filling) or Shrimp and Mango Tacos with an avocado sauce made from an avocado, some sour cream, a little Sriracha or other hot sauce and lime juice.

Tacos have become a favorite default meal. There's usually something in the fridge with which to fill them or I can just scramble some eggs, add some cheese and maybe bacon or sausage and call it a meal.

Speaking of tacos....my eldest moved to Ft Worth early last year. My youngest and I went to visit her at Christmas. We ate at Velvet Taco three of the four days we were there and another taco place the other day. Their tacos are definitely not what we typically think of and all of those we tried were good. I especially liked the Shrimp and Grits taco and the Fish n' Chips taco. The Crisp Tots and Local Egg side dish was very good, too.

And while I'm thinking about tacos, these brisket tacos are very good.

We also ate at Pho Noodle and Grill. One daughter had pho and the other one and I had Grilled Chicken and Shrimp Vermicelli Bowls.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

noni

Post by noni » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:56 pm

I was just wondering what to have for dinner: I have sausage, cabbage and potatoes and they sound good. I'll make it into a soup, because I try to make Tues Soup Night. Thanks for the idea.

My daughter makes some type of taco every week for her family and they never complain!
"Never go back for seconds. Get it all the first time." - Garfield

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:45 pm

Good Lord, all I did was make a plain batch each of red cargo rice and whole dried peas, and I feel like I'm cooked out!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:01 pm

noni wrote:I was just wondering what to have for dinner: I have sausage, cabbage and potatoes and they sound good. I'll make it into a soup, because I try to make Tues Soup Night. Thanks for the idea.

My daughter makes some type of taco every week for her family and they never complain!
A soup version of that dish sounds really good.

I ended up making the shrimp and mango tacos last night. They go together really fast, like a stir fry.

oolala -- Cooking isn't something I do because I enjoy it so much. What I do enjoy is EATING. Cooking is a means to an end and I try to keep things simple. Also, I've gotten fussier about the quality of the food I eat. If I make it, I know what's in it.

I generally try not to cook more than one thing a day and reheat leftovers a lot. Today is going to be an exception to the rule. It looks like I'm going to be cooking until I'm too tired to cook more -- and do more dishes.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:05 pm

Oh, yeah, the dishes!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)