Linda's daily check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:11 pm

Hi Linda. You around at all? I'm just about to try again and I will miss your encouragement so much if you've stopped posting. Hope you are ok and your back is bearing up. Thank you for all your wonderful posts. Tessy

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:14 am

Hi Ms Tessy! I'm still here lurking away! I'm in a good groove at the moment of wholesome eating at regular intervals. I'm not overeating because it doesn't feel good but I've accepted I won't lose weight either most likely. I'm having fun with cooking. Making my own butter, ricotta cheese & pizza dough. Im trying to walk everyday but still need to figure out how to be more active.

My back is a bit better. I've figured out it's mostly a muscular issue so getting weekly massages, stretching and strengthening. Hopefully it'll continue to improve. Thank you so much for asking!

Anyway how are you? How's your stress level & pain management? Hope things are ok & thank you for checking on me. I may start posting again even though I'm not exactly following NoS. It's been such a good outlet for me & I miss having a place to put my feelings down.
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

eschano

Post by eschano » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:06 am

Hello Linda! Glad to hear you had a good start into the New Year. That pizza dough sounds amazing!

Do you have any vegetable-heavy recipes? After all, I thoroughly enjoyed cooking the recipes you have posted in the past :)
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:01 am

Hi, Linda! The foods you posted sound good, and I would love to see more recipes! You should keep posting! I'm not 100 percent No S compliant either, but this WOE is the closest to how I like to eat, which is why I keep posting.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:05 am

Hi eschano! We had friends over last night and the pizza was a big hit. I made my own sauce, ricotta cheese and even the ranch dressing for the salad. Was nice to get such great feedback.

As far as vegetable dishes I love anything from the Moosewood cookbooks. I was a vegetarian for five years and relied heavily on these books. Here's a link to a few of the main course recipes:
https://tastespace.wordpress.com/2013/0 ... -giveaway/

Enjoy!

Thank you for the encouragement Heather. I'm actually thinking of doing NoS again for a bit. We really went overboard this weekend and I'm craving a bit more structure. Clothes are feeling tight and it's got me a little panicked.

It's a bit frustrating that I can't stick with one style of eating but DH suggested I just give myself permission to go back and forth as needed instead of beating myself up over it. I think he's probably right so I'll give it a go. When things feel too restrictive I'll go back to my more relaxed mode and when that feels too chaotic I'll go back to NoS. *phew* why do I have to be so complicated?

Anyway I'm looking forward to going back to the safety of NoS structure for awhile. It'll be interesting to see if one style of eating starts to prevail after awhile.

So far today:
Break: 3 blueberry pancakes, 2 pieces of bacon, coffee
Lunch: 1 piece of avocado pizza, salad w ranch, iced coffee

Exercise: none-- DH is going to set up his total gym in the office so we can start working out together. At least that's the plan. ðŸ‘

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:05 am

Thank you Linda! The recipes sound amazing but in fact, the whole blog sounds brilliant. Is that yours??

I think your new flexible plan sounds great. Go you!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:11 pm

Thanks eschano! No it's not mine. I'd love to start a blog but am just not very techno savvy! Hmmm... Maybe I could get a friend to help me. Thx for the idea eschano! ☺ï¸

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:03 am

Green day 1--yay!!

Break: Olive bread toast w butter, coffee

Lunch: small plate of Chinese food

Snack: small tea sandwich, small coffee

Dinner: calzone, salad, baba ganoush, 1/2 glass of wine

I'm allowing a small mid afternoon snack on a saucer sized plate to help me stay compliant.

Exercise: none, thinking of trying shoveglove!

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:03 am

Nice work Linda! mmm, olive bread...

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:58 am

Thanks iron!

Day 3 green

Break: cereal w fruit, coffee
Lunch:baba ganoush, lentil stew, salad, iced coffee
Dinner: quesadilla, salad, iced tea

Exercise: walk dogs 25 mins

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:25 pm

It looks like you're doing great! :D

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:02 am

Last week was great as well as this weekend. Today was red and I really have no clue what I'm doing or what I want to do in regards with my eating/weight/exercise. Blah!

Food for thought from my favorite chef Nigel Slater & very much in sync with NoS philosophy I think:
http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle ... danddrink1

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:19 am

Hi Linda. Sorry you got a red day. It happens eh. But your overall noS spirit is strong and last week was really good
Thanks so much for the Nigel slater link. I loved the article. Struck a strong chord with me. Also loved just reading the lists of food!!! But maybe that is weird :-).
Hang in there. You will get to green again. You are such a fighter. I'm hanging in there with you
Tessy

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:39 am

You're doing great Linda!
lpearlmom wrote:Last week was great as well as this weekend. Today was red and I really have no clue what I'm doing or what I want to do in regards with my eating/weight/exercise. Blah!
It's just a red day. Everyone has 'em. Don't let one red day throw you off and make you question everything.

eschano

Post by eschano » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:26 am

Love that link, thanks!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:21 pm

Try not to let one red day get you down. You're doing great!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:06 am

Thanks you guys! I should have clarified that it wasn't the red day upsetting me. It's just my wavering commitment about which path I even want to be on right now.

I think I'm realizing it has to my own personalized plan though and im drawing lots of inspiration from that slater article (glad you liked it eschano). That's the sort of path I want to be on at the moment. Gentle pushes in the right direction which overtime can add up to big changes/results but it needs to be flexible and free flowing. Sometimes it's just a matter of getting the momentum going in the right direction.

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:23 am

Sounds very wise Linda. But then you are a wise woman :) have a good week ahead.

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:12 pm

Brilliant approach!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:02 pm

That sounds like a good plan. I hope you have a good week!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:29 am

tessy you're too sweet!

Thank you eschano & Heather!

I've been so crazy hungry these last few days for some reason. Then tonight DHs partners took us out to Korean BBQ and they ordered an insane amount. It was very good but I definitely ate more than I normally would as I didn't want to insult them.

I have this weird feeling that I did this thing I do when I'm nervous around other people and I talk myself up too much. I kept talking about all the interesting places I've traveled and I hope I didn't come across as self centered. Ah well...at least I didn't get drunk and dance on the tables or anything.

Anyway I'm very excited about this scale I just ordered that doesn't tell you your weight. It only tells you if you've gained or lost! This will help me gather info about what's working and what's not without freaking out about seeing how much I weigh. I'm just looking for small changes over time but I'm excited about being able to this in an objective way. Won't be at least a week till the scale comes though..bummer!

eschano

Post by eschano » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:20 am

That scale sounds genius. I look forward to hearing how it works out for you.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:41 am

Thx eschano! It's coming tomorrow (the scale) and I'm just ridiculously excited. I've been eating non-stop and feeling huge. My clothes are tight and I'm really suffering. I think it's time to put all my fears about somehow betraying the woman's movement by going on a diet. I mean I pretty much crossed that bridge when I decided to become a housewife.

I think it's just an excuse maybe anyway. I'm not good at commitment (except for to DH). As soon as I commit to something, I start to feel trapped and look for the nearest exit. But I think it's time I see this through for the long haul. It's my body and I get to decide what's best for it, not some feminist movement, dieting industry, my best friend, sister or mother.

Anyway enough rambling but my plan is to just objectively track what works & doesn't for me. I'll start with basic vanilla Nos and make mods as needed. I really want to lose weight but it's comimg from a good place this time. I don't hate my body or my life but I do feel my life would be even better if I could get to a lower weight. I'm not looking to be super thin but a healthy 150-160 lbs would be great.

I made a list of reasons why I want to lose weight:

1) health--I think my back problems, heartburn, cholesterol etc would probably improve.
2) Water--waterparks, beaches, pools would be so much more enjoyable. I could participate instead of sitting out.
3) shopping--wouldn't be so excruciating
4) mirrors/photos--wouldn't have to avoid them like the plague. Family photo shoot?
5) friends/family-- I could finally visit those ppl from my past without dying of embarrassment

Okay all for now. So excited to get back to NoS on Friday. I apologize for being so wishy-washy with my on again, off again relationship with NoS but this time I'm here to stay. Yay!

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:11 am

lpearlmom wrote:I think it's time to put all my fears about somehow betraying the woman's movement by going on a diet.
I really relate to this, and I still find this hard to parse in my head. If I reject the diet industry and ideals of female beauty, but I'm not a HAES advocate, who am I? Have I betrayed someone? Where do I fit? I read this blog post a long time ago on the topic, and it addresses some good points about being a "fat-positive feminist" who is also on a diet. Warning: use of the f-word.

I like your motivational list!

eschano

Post by eschano » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:18 am

lpearlmom wrote: I mean I pretty much crossed that bridge when I decided to become a housewife.
Lol Linda! I think it's actually the opposite. Feminism is about choice and allowing women to do what's good for them. Otherwise it's just replacing one kind of slavery (for some people) for another (for some people). Although I agree that some feminists don't get it. So if anything, as a feminist, I'm damn proud there are women out there like you who are choosing what's best for you, even if it's against the current trend in society!

Also, you are very committed to lots of things! If I ever have children, I'll message you daily for advice (until you tell me not to).
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:47 am

Thank you thank you iron & eschano! You guys are just too awesome!

Iron: it's good to know I'm not the only one that struggles with these esoteric notions and that link was so right on the mark (I have no problems with the word fat btw. I tell my girls it's just a description not an insult). She really sums up all my internal conflicts I have regarding weightloss. So helpful!

Eschano you made me tear up a little when you said you'd come to me for advice about kids (you'd make a great mum someday). I agree that feminism is about choices but yes that's the enlightened version. Not everyone is caught up yet but thank you for reminding me of that important fact.

My scale came today! I'm so excited to get started! All those months being faithful on NoS but I was never able to track my progress. Now I can figure out how much I need to do to lose weight and then I can decide if it's worth it. Now I can finally have the info I need to make wise choices.

I'm going to do vanilla nos for a week. I'll just do my normal dog walking in the morning (about 20 mins) and allow three beverages a day. If I don't lose at least one pound a week, I'll try slight mods till I find out what it takes to lose weight slowly & steadily. Later I'll allow for slower weight loss but I have a lot to lose so don't think a lb/wk is too unreasonable. If I truly cannot lose weight then at least I'll finally know for sure and I can focus on accepting my weight.

In the morning the scale will secretly register my weight and then my journey can begin!

Btw here's the link to the scale in case anyone's interested.
http://www.quantumscale.com

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:30 am

Break: poached egg, toast, small bowl of yogurt, granola, berries. Nonfat mocha
Lunch: hamburger, fries
Dinner: Reuben sandwich, chips, tea

Exercise: 3 hrs walking around zoo

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:34 am

-2.6 lbs

Mostly water weight I'm sure but I'll take it.

Today went well. My current S day plan is:

Break: 1 reg plate
Snack: 1 small plate
Lunch: 1 regular plate
Snack: 1 small plate
Dinner: 1 regular plate
Dessert: 1 small plate
Drinks: unlimited

It's still an opportunity for too much food but at least it's contained. I've learned from experience I do better with at least some structure on S days. Just because the option is there to eat, doesn't mean I have to take it. For instance nothing was really calling me for dessert tonight so I skipped it. This is very different from last time I did NoS where I would eat just because I could.

Now I've got my eye on my goal of losing 50 lbs. I'm giving myself little rewards for every 5lbs I lose. Nothing too expensive or anything but still gives me something to look forward to.

Anyway my goal for the weekend is to simply maintain. If I find I'm gaining on S days, I'll start some small mods till I figure out what works. Here's today:
Break: 4 pancakes, 2 pieces bacon, berries, coffee w cream
Snack: 1 piece chocolate
Lunch: (small plate) 1 piece noodle casserole, scoop mashed potatoes, veggies & dip
Snack: 1/2 yogurt w granola, large piece chocolate w nuts, nf mocha w light whip
Dinner: two tortilla pizzas, root beer

Exercise: none

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:57 pm

Hi Linda,

Good luck with your slight s-day mods. I find eating from a smaller plate very helpful. It sounds like you are making great strides.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:01 am

Thanks gingerpie!

Today was good: -2.6 lbs so maintained

Break: 3 pancakes, 2 pieces bacon, berries, nf light whip mocha
Lunch: noodle casserole (big piece), veggies & blue cheese dip, handful Fritos
Snack: yogurt w granola, green tea latte
Dinner: 4 thin slice pieces of pizza, salad, root beer
Dessert: 4 small pieces chocolate

I prefer structure S days to my previous wild ones so much more but of course just wasn't ready before. Feels great to back on track.

My girls have friends over tonight so not sure if I'll get walking in tomorrow morn but plan to do a longer walk on tues to make up for it.

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:19 am

Your plan sounds really good. Nice job on the weight loss!

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:03 pm

well, you might have teared up but wait until I do message constantly ;)

Great start with the scale. A brilliant, brilliant invention.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:54 am

Thank you so much Heather! I'm so glad you're still on these boards. Your support means a lot to me!

Lol eschano, you wouldnt bother me a bit. 😉 The scale really is so freeing. I actually look forward to getting on it--yay!

Today went well. The girls friends didn't leave till about noon and boy was I ready for them to go! Not that they aren't lovely girls but there's enough drama with my two. Add two more and well it's a bit exhausting!

After they left, my girls reported that one of their friends told them she went on a diet and lost 50 lbs. okay I think she must have meant more like 15 lbs because she was never fat. She just looks slightly slimmer but yikes she's only 11 so this is very upsetting. I asked my girls how they felt about this and they said they thought she was crazy. I wish I could say something to her mom but I'm pretty sure she wouldn't apreciate it. Oh well...

Anyway here's today:

-2.6 which means I maintained all weekend so no mods needed for next weekend.

Break: bowl of granola w fruit and milk, 1/2 mocha
Lunch: tuna sandwich w handful of Fritos and large spoonful of dip, Apple, iced tea
Dinner: hamburger, broccoli salad, 4 tater tots, 1/2 glass of wine

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:42 am

-2.6 lbs hmmm not budging

Breakfast: piece of zucchini bread, small bowl of Greek yogurt w kiwi, tea w milk & honey
Lunch: grilled chicken burger, baked chips, green tea latte
Dinner: bowl of bean soup, toast w butter, small bowl of oven roasted potatoes

Exercise: none :/ girls had the day off & it seems to throw me off but I need to figure something out or summer will be a wash.

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:16 am

Thanks, Linda!😃 Yes, 4 girls are a lot to handle! I have 3 sisters and 1 brother, and I can't imagine what my parents went through, at times. That's sad, about the girl being on a diet. It looks like you're doing well!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:45 am

Yeah 3 girls would be tough Heather! Did you all get along pretty well or lots of fighting?

-1.4 hrrmph... Pms bloat maybe

Ate a lot today but still in confines of my current plan so not gonna worry about it.

Break: granola w fruit & milk, piece of zucchini bread, tea w milk & sugar
Lunch: rainbow roll plus 5 small tuna & rice rolls, chai latte
Dinner: hamburger, fries d coke

Exercise: walked dogs about 20-25 mins (finally!)

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:52 pm

-1.8 lbs

Feeling really down today. I just can't seem to have any sustainable friendships. It's my fault too. At the slightest sign of imperfection, I push them away. I thought my new moms group was going really well but I'm not so sure now. There were three of us that were going to lunch almost weekly but then I started to notice that if it was just going to be two of us, the other person would always suggest canceling yet if it's just the two of them, they have no problem going without me.

I don't know if I'm being paranoid or not but we were suppose to go to lunch Friday and when E found out J wasn't going she seemed desparate to find out if anyone else was going. When I told her I wasn't sure she seemed eager to reschedule. Same thing happened when E said she might not be able to go to tea, J suggested cancelling as if going with just me would be unbearable. Or maybe I'm just imaging it. I don't know but we're all suppose to lunch next week and suddenly I don't want to go. The only thing keeping me from cancelling is I don't want them to think im flakey just in case there is a chance at a real friendship there. Ugh I don't know. Sometimes friends seem more trouble than they're worth. Here's yesterdays convo:

Me: I think L might come & maybe S. Is that ok?
E: Yes 11 is fine and of course they are welcome to join us!! I hope they will. Is anyone else coming?
Me: Great ...don't think so. Well not sure about T but I'll msg her maybe. I have to confirm w everyone but it might end up just being boring ol' me. 😉 I'll let you know.
E: You aren't boring!! But if you want to try another day instead I understand!
But we should definitely do this one sometime if not this week.
Me: Would another time be better for you? I know it's a bit of a trek.
E: It doesn't really matter to me. But if you want to wait til we have a bigger crew to go I understand.
Me: I don't care either way 😉
E: Hmm well I don't either. Why don't we postpone it? We could always meet up for coffee instead? I don't know the right answer! Lol
Me: Okay let's do it another time. J may want to join us.
E: Sounds like a plan. Sorry it didn't work out for Friday.
Me: S'ok

Okay it's a pretty painful conversation. Now that I look at it we're both being a bit wishy-washy. I don't know I just have a bad feeling about all this and kind of just want to rip the band-aid off quickly.

Sorry for going a a non nos diet tangent but really needed to get this out.

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:02 pm

One thing that helps me is to realize that not all friends have to be all things. By that I mean, maybe the mom's group meets some of your needs but not all of them. That's ok. No one person or any one group can be perfect.

Just by reading over the conversation, nothing jumped out at me (except, as you say, there was a certain element of wishy-washy about it.) If you feel like you get something out of it. Go. If, you feel like there is nothing there for you, don't go. I do encourage you to take responsibility for your own decisions. I mean, if you choose not to go, try to frame it in terms of what you need. Not in terms of what the other women are or are not doing.

Sorry you are having a rough go of it. It took me years to get a good grounding of friends around me and I still sometimes feel like no one understands what it's like to be me.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:11 pm

Gingerpie! Thanks so much for the thoughtful reply! Your post made a lot of sense and helped me to think about it more logically. I think I make the mistake of only focusing on trying to get people to like me and I forget to ask if the other person is even someone I want to hang out with. I guess if I'm honest the other moms are perfectly nice but probably not bff material. I'm guessing they feel the same about me.

That's okay but it's still nice to have other Sahm's to get together with now & then. I think I'll scale back to meeting them once/mos instead of weekly and keeping my expectations realistic. I guess I miss having a bff in my life something I had till my late 20s. I guess my DH is suppose to fill that position? Or maybe someone will come along one day.....

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:46 am

Break: poached egg with toast, fruit. Tea w milk & honey x2
Lunch: noodle & veg bowl, large handful fritos w scoop dip, grapefruit, nf mocha
Dinner: 1 parm-pesto chicken breast, few glazed carrots, large slice bread w butter, 1/2 c grapefruit juice

Exercise: walked dogs

freegirl

Post by freegirl » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:52 am

Linda, I feel your pain. I am in the same boat.
One thing that helps me is to realize that not all friends have to be all things. By that I mean, maybe the mom's group meets some of your needs but not all of them. That's ok. No one person or any one group can be perfect.
I wish I understood this when I was younger. I would have more friends now. My husband and I have 4-5 couples that we meet often. Sometimes we women go out together. There is not much of one-on-one time. I have a need for deep emotional connection. And I don't have that with anyone. By now I made a peace with it.

Linda, your husband cannot be your BFF. I think we put too much expectations in our romantic relationships - we expect other person to fulfill our every need.

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:34 pm

Hi Linda,
I'm glad you are feeling a bit better. I agree with freegirl that your Husband and your bff are two different things. I mean my husband is my bff in some ways but not a girl way. I'm sorry but it is hard to put into words. I mean he and I talk about everything under the sun and not a day goes by that one of us doesn't ask the other's opinion or ask for help with something. But, I also think there is a human need that girls need girls in their lives and boys need boys. We are both happiest when surrounded by friends. If nothing else it gives us someone to complain too when we are mad at each other. :roll:

So, keep looking. Stay open to new situations and trying new social avenues and you will find what you need.

I do know how hard it is. My husband and I moved multiple times when the kids were small. It made for some very lonely days. It doesn't matter how much we love the kiddoes. Sometimes we just need a grown-up.

Have a nice weekend

nbh76

Post by nbh76 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:40 pm

Ughhhh sorry to add to this friend situation but this is an ongoing "problem" for me also. Sometimes I wonder if it really is a problem. You're told you need to have close friends to have a balanced life...you will be healthier and live longer too. I feel bad I don't have a BF but what am I supposed to do. I have lived here my entire life. I was a stay at home mom by choice and financially that was a struggle but I regret non of it. My kids are in there twenties and they and they're friends still come and stay. My husband works shift work so we don't have normal time off and he works in another town. Up here in the sticks there are bars... we don't go to bars... we don't hunt...we don't go to church...we believe in global warming...you get it. There has to be plenty of us who don't have this BFF and still have healthy and fulfilling lives right? I want a BFF toooooooo...lol
Kindness is the only way.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:16 pm

Thank you guys for your very thoughtful responses! I was mostly kidding about my DH. He is all boy--breaks into sweat the minute he steps into the mall, only likes action movies etc.. So yeah no bf potential there. Though sometimes I do think I should spend a little more time on my friendship with him and less on worrying about these ppl that are practically strangers.

My friendship woes are long and complicated. I've always made friends easily but in HS my dad passed away and all my friends walked away from me. We made up more or less later. I realize now they just couldn't handle it but since then I've been on my guard. I still make friends pretty easily but at the first whiff of disloyalty, I kick them to the curb. I guess I'm all about hurt them before they hurt me.

Even though I can think about this objectively, it's very hard to stop. In some cases with toxic friends it was for the best, but as for the rest I really don't know. Even now the urge to cancel the lunch with those moms and just walk away for good is overwhelming. I know it's not rational but it's very strong. For now I'm going to try to handle it more maturely.

Nbh: I really relate to what you're saying too. We are jewish liberals living in a conservative Christian state. I often feel like I have to keep a large part of myself hidden so it makes it even harder to find those deeper connections. Also, my choice to stay home even though my kids are in school full time adds another layer of difficulty to meeting ppl. And yes since we moved about 1.5 yrs ago it's been even harder! Ugh maybe I'll join bff.com and stick to virtual friends. 😉

Okay sorry for the psychobabble but wanted to give some background into my craziness. Tomorrow we're going out with DHs work partners (and spouses) and I always enjoy that at least.

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:51 pm

So, here's the thing about friends. "Can't do with 'em; can't do without 'em" :roll:

At least we have each other
:wink:

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:49 am

Yep that pretty much sums it up gingerpie!

-3.8 lbs ~such a fickle body I have! Well I met my goal of at least 1 lb/wk so no need for mods yet. I just hope I can maintain the loss over the weekend. When I get to -5 lbs I'm going to reward myself with a cute summer purse. Let's hope I can do it!

Break: bowl of homemade granola with honey greek yogurt & fruit, tea w milk & honey
Lunch: 7 pieces sushi, scoop of poke, mocha
Dinner: 4 slices grilled teriyaki tri-tip, scoop of oven roasted potatoes, grilled bell pepper, glass of limoncello

Exercise: walk dogs

Funny how life works. Yesterday I was completely down in the dumps but today I had a wonderful day. DH got home super early so we spent the day together. We went to Costco which is always fun for us for some reason. We came home and made dinner. While he was grilling I sat outside by the pool drinking cocktails. Can't complain--even the girls didn't fight much!

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:16 am

Glad to hear you're feeling better. Enjoy!

nbh76

Post by nbh76 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:54 pm

Oh you had a wonderful day and it sounds so nice to sit by the pool and have cocktails...lovely!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:16 am

Thank you ginger & nbh!

-3.8 lbs

Break: slice of bread pudding, 2 sausage links, mocha
Lunch: 2 shrimp rolls w peanut sauce
Snack: handful chips w scoop dip, iced chai latte grande
Dinner: German meal out, 2 1/2 beers
Dessert: 1/3 piece choc cake, handful of junior mints

Fun day. Kept the girls busy w activities then DH & I went out to a local German restaurant w his work friends. We sat outdoors and listened to live music drinking beers & eating good food. I really like his (our) friends. They interesting & funny and I don't even mind the usual medical talk I have to endure. I like that I can just be myself.

Ate a lot today. Will be curious what the scale says tomorrow.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:29 am

-2.0 lbs blah

Break: steak & eggs, toast, berries (small plate), mocha
Snack: 1 piece of chocolate
Lunch: bowl of fried rice & beef stir-fry, small glass grapefruit
Snack: iced tea, couple bites of stir fry
Dinner: 3 ribs, coleslaw, iced tea
Dessert: small bowl of ice cream

Exercise: biked to corner store

I ate a fair a amoubt today and am guessing I'm not going to meet my maintenaince goal this weekend.

Kinda gloomy today. Maybe I had too much to drink last night or maybe because it's an overcast day. I think mostly I'm worried about DH. He's been having severe heartburn the last few days everytime he eats. Hopefully he'll finally go to the doctor.

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:03 am

The first S Day sounds very nice! I like German music and German food. Sorry your second S day was gloomy. What is it with men and doctors? I hope your DH can find some relief.

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:43 am

There's definitely a downward trend! Don't get discouraged if it's up a pound from time to time. Remember, it will fluctuate but it's all about the trend. Doing well!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:28 am

-2.0 lbs

Not worried eschano but thanks for the encouragement!

Well DH landed himself in the ER today and had to get a stint and probably another one tomorrow. I'm so scared & worried. I have to be strong for my girls though. Oh well deep breath....time to get serious about our health I guess.

Break: Greek yogurt, granola, berries, mocha
Lunch: veg burger w tomatoes, potatoes, sour cream (small plate)
Snack: (stuck in ER so had to eat something) granola bar
Dinner: grilled chicken burger, baked chips

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:00 am

Wow, from heartburn to a stint. I do hope your husband finds his way to supportive habits, if any will help him.

Do your best for yourself. You're the only one who can.

Warmest wishes to you both.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:04 pm

Stints have done wonders for my father. He is now in his 80s and has managed to avoid the heart attacks that plagued all his brothers by regular care and paying attention to the warning signs. He has had several stint procedures over a period of many years. (So be encouraged!)

It sounds like you are doing well!
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

nbh76

Post by nbh76 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:56 pm

Oh no how scary I HOPE THINGS ARE BETTER TODAY. I too know three people near and dear to me that have had stints put in and it changed their lives for the better. I am sending only the most positive vibes to you and your family today and remember to BREATHE .

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:58 am

Thank you guys so much! He had the other procedure today and both went really well. Other ppl have been telling me about ppl living long and healthy lives with stints.

Unfortunately just as I was adjusting to this, I found out he may be diabetic as well. So much to take in. It's very overwhelming. I guess I'm going to have to find a new way to cook and he's going to have to do some drastic lifestyle changes. Oh well we'll handle it.

Today:
-3.6 I'll take it.

Break: yogurt, granola, fruit, nf mocha
Lunch: veg burger, diet coke
Snack: 1/2 small bag chips (waiting at hospital again)
Dinner: shrimp burrito, 4 chips, iced tea

eschano

Post by eschano » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:46 am

I'm glad that the procedures went well!

I'm sorry to hear about his diabetes and wish you a lot of strength and faith!

Big hug
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

nbh76

Post by nbh76 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:06 pm

Ditto on what eschano said. All of this is hard and scary. This will be a good thing in the end...I am sending good vibes your way...it's funny, we are all essentially strangers, little voices from everywhere, but I feel we are all connected and there is a power in that !

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:13 pm

Oh, how scary! I'm glad the procedures went okay. I hope you are able to transition to a new way of eating without too many challenges.
Take care!

Heather

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:26 am

Thank you for your support eschano & Heather!

nbh76 wrote:t's funny, we are all essentially strangers, little voices from everywhere, but I feel we are all connected and there is a power in that !
I love that nbh! I really cherish all those insightful, supportive voices.

Today was a bit stressful. DH came home with loads of medicine and pamphlets so I spent the day filling scrips and meal planning. I'm also behind on other stuff like bills & tax stuff. Ugh! I will try to get to them tomorrow.

My mom & mil are coming Friday. Not sure if it's going to be helpful or add to the stress but hopefully they'll at least keep the girls busy.

Oh well. I know things will get better. Just a rough patch.

-3.6 lbs holding steady

Break: ww toast w pb & honey, fruit, nf mocha
Lunch: BBQ sandwich, banana, iced tea
Dinner: piece of catfish w ginger sauce, scoop of rice, salad w miso dressing, steamed broccoli

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:52 am

Haven't been here for a week, so coming late to this Linda. So sorry to hear you've had such a stressful time, but glad that your husband is home.

As someone who has a husband who also manages a chronic illness (not diabetes), it is horribly hard in the beginning, but you'll get through it together.

All good wishes to you as you find your new rhythm.

nbh76

Post by nbh76 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:39 pm

You are soooo awesome to have both the mothers there! Try and make sure you actually tell them what you need, that's the trick! Also if you start feeling overwhelmed try to shut yourself off somewhere ( bathrooms are pretty good choices...LOL ) and close your eyes and breathe... Someone told me that years ago when my daughter had been hit by a car...she is super fine now...anyways it really works and the more you do it the easier it gets. You have to pay bills but taxes aren't due yet btw ! Try and have a good day.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:46 am

Thank you so much iron! It's good to know that you've been able to adjust to something similar. It's definitely an adjustment. I got up early and made him a low-fat frittata which had quite a lot of steps. Was time consuming for a weekday breakfast but at least there's leftovers for tomorrow. I will hopefully get things a little more streamlined at some point.

Nbh, that is great advice--thank you! I'm terrible at asking for help. I tend do want to take care of everyone else but I really am going to give them specific things to do this time. I know they want to be helpful. Sometimes DHs mom can be a bit of a handful but I will go hide in my bathroom if I start to feel overwhelmed. ðŸ‘

Oh and I did get mostly caught up today so that's good. I know taxes aren't due yet but I have an appt w our accountant next week so have to get everything together for him. At least DH can come with me now since he's off work next week!

-4.6 not bad!

Break: 1 serving lowfat veg frittata, piece ww toast, kiwi, mocha
Lunch: small piece of leftover fish, rice, broccoli, small bowl of yogurt & granola, mocha
Dinner: piece of honey mustard salmon, oven roasted sweet potatoes, salad w miso salad, roasted garbanzo beans, glass of wine

nbh76

Post by nbh76 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:15 pm

Have a GOOD weekend Miss Linda ! Also awesome meals too...all this and dog walking...KUDOS ðŸ˜

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:09 am

Thanks so much for the encouragement! So far so good with the moms. I've been giving them specific tasks when they ask what they can do so that's been great.

Dh & I are having fun exploring ways to make our new food options delicious. I could see him getting a little tense when we were trying to find a lunch spot today though. Luckily we found a great place called True Food Kitchen. A lot of great options & the food was wonderful.

The girls have a cheer & dance performance tomorrow at 8am. I have to do their hair & make up so it's going to be an early morning! Definitely will be glad when wens comes. . Taxes done, company gone, etc.

-5.6 lbs wasn't expecting that

Break: slice of lowfat frittata, ww toast, pear slices, mocha
Lunch: crudités, papaya salad w grilled chicken, mocha
Dinner: smoked chicken, roasted veggies, black rice, 2 glasses wine, iced tea

Went over my 3 drink limit--gotta watch that!

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:37 am

I think it's definitely important to try to have fun, when you are changing your diet. One thing that has made low FODMAPS a lot more bearable for me is trying to have variety in my meal options.
Plus, it's kind of fun to try out new recipes!
Nice job with the weight loss!

Heather

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:07 pm

Hi Linda, You are doing great with all the changes!!

One thing that I do to reduce cooking stress (or at least when I do do this it reduces cooking stress :? ) is to develop/find 5 super easy meal ideas and to always have those ingredients in the house. That gives me a work-week's worth of automatic easy fast meals -just in case it turns into a crazy week.

When I'm having a great organizational week. I also do make-ahead meals and put them in the freezer for "emergency" meals. . . Don't be too impressed. . . I don't really have great organizational weeks all that often.

Glad to hear the Moms are working out well.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:58 am

Thank you Heather! I agree. At first I was a little overwhelmed but it's kind of a fun cooking challenge!

Thank you gingerpie! That's excellent advice! Sometimes I try to do too much & then nothing gets done and we end up getting take out or something. I need to simplify !

Absolutely exhausting day! So glad the cheer competition is over and I can sleep in tomorrow!

-5.6 lbs I made my weightloss goal for last week so no mods yet.

Break: Greek yogurt w fruit granola, mocha
Lunch ; asian chicken salad, toast, iced tea
Snack; bite of ribs, yogurt w granola, piece of chocolate
Dinner: plate of vegan food & soup, glass of wine
Dessert: 4 pieces chocolate

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:10 am

Good day. My mil left so I felt much more able to relax today. Not sure why she annoys me so much. It's complicated.

It's amazing to me how quickly we've changed our eating habits. Almost overnight we've completely re-hauled the way we eat & drink. I'm also amazed at how well our girls have adapted. I expected a lot more resistance but last night they happily ate the vegan food put in front of them and tonight they ate veggie burgers with no problems.

I wish I had done this all along but I hated growing up with such rigid dietary restrictions & I wanted my kids to grow up with a "normal" eating environment. Still I might have gone overboard in the other direction. Who knows what the right answer is. Hindsight is 20/20 and all that.

I'm still a little confused about the best diet for DH. Seems like low-fat vegan would be best for his heart but it's hard to be vegan and low-carb which he needs for his diabetes. Oh well we'll figure it out.

-5.6 lbs

Break: lowfat frittata, ww toast, mocha
Lunch: falafel sandwich , iced tea
Snack: 3 pieces of chocolate
Dinner: double veggie burger w lettuce, tomato, guacamole
Dessert: 5 mini trail mix cookies

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:25 am

Hi Linda. I'm glad things are going well. I Agree. You'll figure it out.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:20 am

Thx gingerpie!!

-2.6 lbs wth? I really didn't eat that much yesterday. Water fluctuations I guess.

Today went well. I love my mom but she loves to talk about hard things from our past. Healthy yes but draining too. So I'm glad to have the house back to ourselves but I miss her too.

Anyway tax day is tomorrow. I'm so worried that we're going to owe a lot. I guess I'll know for sure soon enough! Ugh--hope I can sleep!

Break: oatmeal w fruit, mocha
Lunch: lowfat salad w grilled chicken, yogurt, Apple (small plate), nf mocha
Dinner: bowl of veggie chili, small plate of crudités w lowfat garlic dip (so good!)

Once again the kids loved everything!

Exercise: short walk w dogs (was raining)

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:28 am

Hi Linda, I'm glad things are settling down for you a bit. Don't worry about the bump in weight. If you can honestly say you are following your program, it is probably just a "mystery" bump. :?

Kids will eat anything if it is presented with the expectation that they will like it. We adults don't give them nearly enough credit.

Have a nice day

nbh76

Post by nbh76 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:20 pm

I hope tax day goes well ! I agree with gingerpie about the kids and food. However when mine were little I did a month of different squashes...I was trying to have them eat things that are in our natural seasons... my goodness I was progressive, this was in the 90's...anyways that is always brought up with the horror of the weird squash dishes they had to eat that month LOL. Fast forward they are grown human beings who love to try new things and get me to try them too...also I sound old as dirt I am only 48 !

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:05 am

I'm glad things are settling down for you. Good luck with tax day! Your meals sound so good!

Heather

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:41 am

Thank you ginger, nbh & Heather!

Omg, I'm such a space case! This morning I got all my paperwork together, got all dressed & showered, stressed the entire 25 mins it took to get there and then realized I got the day wrong! It's not till next Tuesday!

But you know what? I'm over it. What a wasted it amount of energy I spent stressing. Whatever will be will be and all that.

Thanks for the encouragement on the weightloss (or lack of it). It's been so long since I weighed myself on a regular basis that I forgot that losing weight isn't a linear process.

That's so funny nbh about the squash. I guess I shouldn't be surprised about my kids. They're very adventurous eaters. They eat sushi, snails strange Korean food etc. My oldest daughter eats raw onions and garlic and my youngest daughter has been known to beg for cod and artichokes at the grocery store. I guess I thought they might miss artisan bread with homemade butter and creamy tomato pasta but I think as long as there's tasty choices theyre happy!

Btw, we are about the same age! You don't sound old--I just had kids later in life!

-4.4 lbs better but I doubt I'll make my weightloss goal this week.

Break: Greek yogurt, berries, granola, small mocha
Lunch: asian chicken salad w noodles, veggies & 4 crackers w dollop garlic dip
Mocha
Dinner: 2 pieces of stuffed cabbages w ground turkey & quinoa, veggies & scoop of baba ganoush

DH made dinner & it was very good. He seems very motivated to change. Reading labels and creating new recipes. He even dusted off his bike and went riding today. I'm still feeling a little overwhelmed. I think I just need a day to myself but that'll have to wait till next week.

lin47

Post by lin47 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:04 am

Wow--you're doing fabulous! It seems like you're losing pretty consistently. Good for you!

Lovedby2

Lovedby2

Post by Lovedby2 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:51 am

Hi Linda! You are doing so well! Congratulations. Oh to see the scale go down is a beautiful thing! :lol: No, I am not an interior decorator. I just love decorating so i do it for fun for friends and family. I guess it has become kind of a hobby. Anyway, good job on the weight loss.
Always learning.

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:18 am

I'm very happy your husband is doing well. I have to wonder though. . . Did you dust your bike of as well? Bike rides are a marvelous way to connect with family :wink: and a great de-stresser. Just sayin'

Hope your week continues to go well.

nbh76

Post by nbh76 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:52 pm

You are juggling sooooo many plates AND doing it beautifully! So glad your husband is being active in his own health too. I love that tax day story and really it's for the best because you are now done with your the hard part. Have a GREAT day today AND thanks for letting me know I'm not the the oldest thing in the room. ( I had a weird moment the other day when I had to put down my age and I thought I was still 42...then I realized I'm 48... I freaked out a little bit LOL )

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:18 am

Thanks so much Lin & lovedby! Just to be clear my recorded weight loss is cumulative, not per week. I have the quantum scale that just shows me total lost (or gained) since my initial weigh-in. I guess I'm still doing pretty good though. I just have SO far to go still but trying to stay focused on 5 lbs increments.

Gingerpie: great idea and we did just that today. He didn't invite me yesterday and I got the feeling he needed some alone time. I'm sure he has lots of soul-searching to do. But today was so much fun and you are right. It's a great way to connect. Such a beautiful day and our neighborhood has some great places for biking riding so we'll definitely do it again.

Yes nbh my DH is doing a great job being pro-active about things. He's definitely taking this seriously. And I often forget my age too although it's usually by just a year or two. Must have been odd to temporarily lose six yrs though!:) lots of us 40+ here btw!

-5.2 what happened to 5.6? I know, I know patience!

Break: Greek yogurt w homemade granola & berries, mocha
Lunch: bowl of veg chili, crudités w dollop of lf yogurt dip, mocha
Dinner: grilled curry chicken breasts, grilled mushrooms, black rice, lightly dressed coleslaw

Exercise: walked dogs, 20-30 min bike ride

I'm enjoying my mochas now because I know I'll have to phase them out soon! Going to be hardest change for me but one thing at a time!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:37 am

-5.2 lbs stuck, stuck...doubt I'll make my goal of -6.6 by tomorrow. It's all good though.

Break: yogurt, granola, berries, mocha
Lunch: double open faced veggie burger w avocado & tomato, melon, mocha
Dinner: 2 stuffed cabbage rolls, baba ganoush, coleslaw, flatbread, chai latte

Exercise: walked dogs, 1.5 hr leisurely bike ride

Good day. Was a beautiful 70 degrees out and the girls had a half day so we took them on a family bike ride. Was so nice to be active together. I'm really excited about all the healthy changes our family is making. I guess I can kind of understand how ppl say tragedy often changes them for the better.

I was SO hungry after our bike ride so ended up eating a super early dinner. It was either that or have a red day and I just don't do red days! Only downside is that my back is acting up. I think it's a combo of stress and bike riding. Hopefully once I get back in shape, it won't be such an issue.

Looking forward to having some chocolate this weekend. Think we're going to make chocolate cookies that use avocado & applesauce instead of butter in my skinnytaste cookbook.

nbh76

Post by nbh76 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:30 pm

You and your family know how to accept life's challenges ! You should pat yourself on the back for that...seriously! Have a great weekend !!! Oh and remember what I said about the dentist...my back is still perfect since yesterdays visit ! ðŸ˜

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:48 am

Thank you so much nbh! DH went for follow up appt and they said if he keeps this up he might be able to back off some of his meds--yay!

-5.2 lbs. grrrr... I've been so good. Meanwhile DH is down 12 lbs. 😠oh well Im on the right path, I just need to stay the course.

Break: oatmeal w fruit & nuts, 1/2 mocha
Lunch: small wrap w chicken, baba ganoush, veggies & avocado, skinny mocha
Dinner: opened faced turkey burger, Persian salad, baked sweet potato, large glass of wine

Little bit of a red day: grabbed a couple blueberries, bite of veggie burger DH was making etc... Nothing major but need to tighten that up. I guess I'm just feeling a lil discouraged.

Exercise: bike ride 1 hr w DH. We rode a little harder this time since we didn't have the girls. So much fun!

lin47

Post by lin47 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:31 pm

Wow---you're doing fantastic, lpearlmom! I wish I could lose as fast as you seem to be. Also, your menus sound great!

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:25 pm

Wow Linda, you're doing so well, and so is your husband. I'm impressed!

Don't let that sneaky little bit of discouragement push its way in and side track you - you are going great. Ignoring the 0.4 of a pound (because, c'mon, one trip to the bathroom or 1 glass of water), what I see is that you lost 5 pounds in 2 weeks and now have maintained that loss for another week. Maintenance may not be as exciting or glamorous as quick loss, but it's actually the most important part. Put another way, you're averaging more than a pound a week lost. That's brilliant work, especially in the middle of the stress and change you've had to deal with over the past few weeks.

I hope you are celebrating being down 5 pounds, and have bought yourself that cute summer purse you mentioned. Pat yourself on the back.

PS Don't compare yourself too much to your husband. Men tend to lose faster than women all things being equal, so cheer for him in his efforts, but don't focus on his numbers.

nbh76

Post by nbh76 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:29 am

Ditto to what Ironchef said! Have a great weekend !!!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:00 am

Thanks for all the great encouragement Lin, iron & lbh!! I know 5 lbs is good for three weeks esp considering how well I'm eating. I mean im eating lighter/less but im not exactly starving myself. This is very humane. I'm actually down a pound today although not sure I'll be able to maintain it over the weekend. The important thing is there's a downward trend. I just need to be realistic.

Iron: definitely happy for my DH! It's just that I think he might weigh less than me now & ugh that's not good! Still definitely finding it motivating. There's no way I'm going to let him get in shape without me! Oh and I just can't bring myself to buy that purse till I get the taxes all sorted out. Ugh, I hate being a grown-up sometimes!

Lin: thank you! It's been a long time since I saw any weightloss. I about all but gave up on it but finally seeing some results and it feels great. If I can do it, anyone can! Also, we have managed to make our food tasty and low fat, low cholesterol, low sodium and low-carb but I'd be lying if I said it was easy. Lotsa time in the kitchen, grocery store and reading up on nutrition! Still we both love food so it's been kind of a fun challenge. Anyway, I hope things are going well for you!

We had a good day but I'm exhausted from basically cooking ALL day! I made a big batch of this vegan breakfast scramble for DH to eat during the week, then I made vegan cookies with the girls, then of course I had to make dinner! Tomorrow we're eating leftovers or maybe go out even!

-6.4 lbs good, but ate a lot today!

Break: cinnamon bread w cream cheese, nf yogurt w blueberries, mocha
Lunch: veg burger w avocado & cheese, cucumber salad, yogurt
Snack: 2 vegan cookies, square of chocolate,
Dinner: asian vegetable soup w tofu (1 bowl), piece of red snapper w pineapple chutney, scoop of quinoa, 1/2 glass wine
Dessert: tea w milk, 2 vegan cookies, an apple

Exercise: rest day

I swear my S days have been so much better since I've implemented some structure into them. It kind of makes me question the wisdom of allowing S days to be a free for all even in the beginning although I know the purists would argue with me.

Anyway even though I'm doing good, I still didn't make my 1 lb/wk goal this week so I'm going to implement my first mod: 15 mins of stepping on N days. I'm actually looking forward to it. It's pretty fun & I can do it in front of the tv. 😄

nbh76

Post by nbh76 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:16 pm

Stepping is fun...there I said it! Gets your heart rate up, makes you use your body and you can do silly moves when no ones looking! It is actually in my future...I was planning on adding some of that in May....I want to start getting ready for hiking season. I see hope for walking outside this week, finally, the roads are still tight ( snow ) but the tracks are pretty clear at the local schools, they just cleared them ! So you go girl... get your steppin on 😄

lin47

Post by lin47 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:56 pm

lpearlmom wrote:I swear my S days have been so much better since I've implemented some structure into them. It kind of makes me question the wisdom of allowing S days to be a free for all even in the beginning although I know the purists would argue with me
I tend to agree with you. I find that I do much better if I still keep the No Seconds, No Snacks pattern on S days. Although prior to doing NoS, I would have said to anyone that the most difficult part would be No Sweets, actually the most difficult parts have been the other Ses. It's very, very easy to slip back into having a bite here, a nibble there, ----and before I know it, I'm back to snacking. Also, because I am a very fast eater (have tried for decades to slow down, but cannot seem to), I finish my dinner before my husband does, and the temptation to keep eating just to DO something is powerful. So, if I keep to the No Seconds, No Snacks on weekends and just allow myself dessert or something sweet for breakfasts, I seem to do a lot better.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:06 am

That's funny nbh. Nothing wrong with liking stepping although I guess they're kind of passé! I have a little mini one from target that I can conveniently hide in my closet.

Yes I agree with you Lin. Snacking is what gets me too or picking really. Picking at food while I cook or clean up from meals has really been my biggest issue. Now on S days I just allow myself a small afternoon snack and a small dessert after dinner. Having everything contained makes S days so much more enjoyable!

-5.8 lbs (pretty much what I expected. )

Break: cereal w fruit, 1 guiltless pancake, mocha
Lunch: veggie burger w avocado & tomato, yogurt w fruit
Snack: 4 mini trail cookies, 2 pieces low carb chocolate
Dinner: grilled snapper, salad w lf miso dressing, tofu asian soup, ww wrap
Dessert: small bowl of ice cream w fudge (felt a lik guilty since DH couldn't have any).

Exercise: 1 hr bike ride w DH

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:42 am

-5.8 lbs I've yet to maintain over the weekend which is my goal. I'm pretty sure I'll need to go down to one S day at some point.

Break: tofu scramble wrap, grapes, cappuccino w sugar
Lunch: open faced veggie burger, side salad, tiny bowl of yogurt, cappuccino
Dinner: boca burger, asian eggplant spread on rice crackers, tuscan beans, large glass of wine

Exercise: 1 hr 20 min bike ride w DH, 15 min on stepper, short walk w dogs

I'm so enjoying our bike riding! I can see how it would be kind of addicting. It feels so good during and esp afterward that Im very motivated to repeat the experience. I saw this cute older couple in matching outfits cycle right by us and I thought "yep, that'll be us in 10 yrs!" Im just worried about what we're going to do when it's 110 out!

Tomorrow is the dreaded tax appt finally and wens we have dentist appointments, I'm also dealing w repairs at our rental property. I'm feeling done with all this heavy responsibilities. I know it's just life but I need a little break.

Oh well hopefully things will ease up soon. If nothing else we have a getaway weekend coming up at the end of next month. My moms going to watch the kids while we go kayaking and wine tasting. Yay--just gotta keep my eye on the prize!

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:57 am

I love bike riding - it makes me feel like I'm flying. I've ridden home from work here when it is 38 C (100F). The thing is, while you're moving you create your own "breeze" so you don't get too sweaty. It's just when you stop - ugh.
lpearlmom wrote:-5.8 lbs I've yet to maintain over the weekend which is my goal. I'm pretty sure I'll need to go down to one S day at some point.
In the time that I was recording my weight daily and calculating a trend, I never maintained over a weekend - literally never recorded a lower weight on a Monday than on the Friday just before it. My (slooowly) dropping weight went in a fairly predictable sawtooth pattern.

Good luck with all your appointments this week, here's hoping you get a pleasant surprise from some quarter!

nbh76

Post by nbh76 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:30 pm

I am so jelous...kayaking is my favorite thing to do ( along with wine...) I hope the not so fun life things get done without too much drama! Oh kayaking....I really can't wait ( as she sighs and looks out at mountains of dirty snow...LOL )

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:48 am

Hey Linda, I'm so glad things are settling down for your family. You are doing great with all the changes.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:17 am

Yikes that's pretty cold iron! Yeah we're having fun with the biking and hoping we'll last through the summer. If not, we may have to join a gym for a couple months.

I'm sure going a little weight on S days is par for the course but just want to keep an eye on it.

Nbh--yeah kayaking is fun! The little that I've done of course. This sounds like a super easy mellow ride. You go for 2 hrs and end up in a little winery near sedona. Then we're staying at a B&B so I'm definitely looking forward to it!

Thank you gingerpie! It's taking a lot of effort but so worth it!

Well we do owe taxes which is a bummer but nothing we can't manage. Dh must not be too worried about it since he went out and bought me a new mountain bike today (early bday gift).

I think part of my stress right now is having dh home. As much as I like his company and his help w cooking cleaning I miss having a little alone time each day. I also just can't get everything done that I need to as he's always pulling me off in a different direction. Ah well we have been reconnecting so that's good!

-6.6 lbs

Break: yogurt w fruit, cappuccino w sugar
Lunch: small bowl of eggplant dip & rice crackers, 1.5 ww fig bars, skinny mocha
Dinner: 1 bowl of southwest slow cook chicken over barley, 4 chips, large Apple

Exercise: short walk w dogs, 15 mins on total gym, 1 hr mountain biking/walking my bike

Yikes my hybrid bike didn't do so well off-road today. Was a little scary at times but excited to try out my new bike tomorrow!

nbh76

Post by nbh76 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:26 pm

You are so awesome...have a great day today!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:12 am

Today was a good day. I'm finally starting to feel a bit more relaxed as the stressful items on my to-do list are finally starting to get resolved.

Also, I tried out my new mountain bike today and it was pretty exciting/exhilarating/scary/utterly exhausting! Dh took me on a pretty tough trail. We had to walk a couple super gnarly parts but I was able to do a lot more than I thought I could & that was definitely a huge confidence booster!

-7.8 lbs

Break: cereal, fruit, cappuccino
Lunch: open-faced veg burger, 1 fig bar, yogurt, 5 banana chips, skinny mocha
Dinner: bowl of barley & sw chicken, small chopped salad, 1/2 Apple

Exercise: 1.5 hrs mountain bike (burned 1130 calories)

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:47 am

It looks like you're doing great! Mountain biking sounds like a neat experience!

Heather

nbh76

Post by nbh76 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:55 pm

I really think you are such an inspiration...you guys took a scary situation and just jumped right in doing good things and having fun whilst doing them. The biking sounds so fun!