Linda's daily check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Kittson

Post by Kittson » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:10 pm

LOL oh my. That is a pretty complicated manicure. I see what you mean. :shock:

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:53 am

Hehe kittson :D oh well the young cashier at chipotle told me she loooved my nails so maybe I'm more hip than I realized (mmmmhmm, sure.).

Today was fine but I'm annoyed that we didn't work out. Just too much to do to get ready for our friends coming tomorrow. Its been nice not thinking about my weight much this week but I'm nervous about my weigh-in tomorrow. Hmmm maybe I should do the 21 day weigh in.

Oh well at least I got a lot done today. Funny how having people come stay with you can suddenly spur you into action. That pile of books in the office we haven't gotten to since we moved in two years ago? Check! Closet organized? Check! Outdoor side tables you never got around to buying? Check! Frig cleaned? Dogs groomed? Sideboard pile from heck? Check, check & check!

Now if only they would just come for a couple hours to admire my work & go back home. But no I will have to feed them dinner, make them breakfast & coffee, drive them all over town while listening to my kids fight in the back seat and then do it all over again the next day! Boy I'm such a positive uplifting person, huh?

Okay plan B) throw the kids in the pool while we sit in lounge chairs sipping skinny cocktails. Yes, I like it!

Break: overnight oatmeal, skinny mocha
Lunch: turkey burger, hummus, rice chips, grapes
Dinner: chipotle salad, 1/2 glass wine

Exercise: none :(
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:25 am

lpearlmom wrote:Today was fine but I'm annoyed that we didn't work out.
You're annoyed you didn't work out? That's awesome - not that you're annoyed, but it shows what a strong habit you've got already!
Funny how having people come stay with you can suddenly spur you into action.
Yup, that's us to a tee. My husband always says that parties actually CLEAN our house. Good luck this weekend!

nbh76

Post by nbh76 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:53 pm

I know about the books sitting for 2 years...I had some on the stairs and I have a realtor coming today and BAM I found the stength to actually put them away...ahhhhh well neat and tidy today...she will be here soon...oh and did I mention ITS SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN TODAY...😡

Okay what I really wanted to say was...I had the hardest time resisting the scales yesterday...LOL...but this 21 day thing kept me in check...I can't take the fluctuations they mess with my mind ( cue in some twilight zone theme song )

Your nails sound devine ! Have fun with your visitors!!!
Kindness is the only way.

Kittson

Post by Kittson » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:31 pm

You have me inspired to declutter my home! Sounds like you had a very productive and ACTIVE day. Bummer with no exercise but with all the cleaning I bet you were plenty busy and moving around!

Option B sounds wonderful. hehe.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:48 am

Your husband is so right iron! Our house has never looked better--woohoo!

Nbh sorry about the snow. Hard for me to imagine the cold right now. Yay for resisting scales. I did weigh myself today and am very happy but I realize it could have just as easily gone the other way & ruined my day. It's a gamble.

Yay kittson spring cleaning is great. I advise doing it in small chunks. Start w the stuff that's really buggin you!

Omg what an awesome day! I cannot believe I'm down 15 lbs. this weight loss thing is really happening for me. I even fit into an old size 16 pair of skinny jeans. I wore them today w a belt & a fitted top. I was even brave enough to look in the mirror and actually thought I looked great! Amazing!

Also our guests are so awesome. I can't believe I was dreading the visit. The wife is great. We talked non-stop all night & she was so helpful in the kitchen. I don't mind the boys are going off-roading now. She's down w my chillaxin' plan & our kids get along great!

Weigh:-15.2 lbs woooohoooooo!!!!!!!!

Break: yogurt, fruit nuts, skinny latte
Lunch: brown rice ca rolls, iced skinny mocha
Dinner: pizza, salad, bucket-full of wine

Exercise: none dangit. Next week we'll get back to it. I miss it. You're right iton it's really becoming a healthy habit. Yay!

I was SO surprised by my loss this week because it eating & exercising were just effortless. I guess I felt like since I didn't suffer, there'd be no reward but I was happily wrong. Okay just got to keep this up. 20 lbs here I come!!!

Kittson

Post by Kittson » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:39 am

this weight loss thing is really happening for me.
So so happy for you!! Congrats on the 15 lbs down. That is so awesome!! Woohoo!! And putting on those jeans/fitted top and feeling like you look good, even better!!

I'm so glad you're enjoying the company. What a relief!!

Thanks for the tip on decluttering. I've done FlyLady in the past but have never been able to stick with it! We don't have too much to declutter, but there is always room for improvement. Starting with the stuff that's really bugging me would be my husbands paper pile in our entry way. We have a little desk nook right where we enter our home. My husband is self-employed and keeps ALL his stuff right there. I implemented a filing system, but it isn't being followed. Lol.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:29 pm

Thank you Kiitson! I tried fly lady for awhile too. I can do it for awhile but never consistently for v long. I stay home so stick to a basic schedule that works for me pretty well.

It sounds like your house is already well maintained though but yeah there's always those couple of areas that we (or our spouses) don't manage to get to for whatever reason. That pile of books was in dhs office and felt SO good to finally get cleared.

Anyway let me know where it goes!

Linda 8)

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:08 am

Really fun day. Dh & his friend had a great day offroading. The other mom & I kept it super mellow. Took the kids to a jumpy place them to lunch & back home for pool time. Then we got a babysitter and we all went to dinner. Such a treat!!!

We all get along beautifullyy & so do our kids. I'm going to be sad to say gbye tomorrow but we're planning to visit them soon. My introvert side is feeling talked out & a little drained though.

Break: cocoloco smoothie, coffee
Lunch: soba noodle bowl w chicken, 2 small choc chip cookies, skinny mocha
Dinner: crab salad, halibut, cocktail, glass wine,
small dessert

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:25 am

Linda, That does sound like a fun day! I have a really introverted side, too. I just spent the week surviving Spring Break (It was nice, but busy), which meant I was busy with both boys until about 8 or 9 at night, plus, my inlaws (who live downstairs) were constantly around, helping me out (which was nice, but a little bit too much. Oh well). By the time the boys were in bed, I was more than ready for some time to be by myself to recharge.
Take care!

Heather

nbh76

Post by nbh76 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:43 am

Linda it sounds like you had a great time! Have a nice Sunday...the day or the dessert...lol...it's an S day after all 😬

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:11 pm

Hi Linda! I just wanted to pop in and say I love reading your thread as always. I am glad to read your DH is doing so well and clearly you are too. I really admire your discipline in both eating and exercising. I relate to you on so many levels (being too nice at the salon even though you weren't quite sure if you liked it, and then leaving a big tip. Hello! that = me too and enjoying the company of others but needing to recharge alone is sooo me too). You write so eloquently and honestly, and as a result, I think yours is a favourite check in of many readers.

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:23 pm

So pleased to read that the visit turned out better than you'd hoped - sounds like a really wonderful time for everyone.

Also, 15 pounds! Plus the fact that you are really feeling and seeing a difference. Really delighted for you, especially since you felt the week did not involve any suffering - that's fantastic :) Is there a -15 pound reward in your future??

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:06 am

Heather--it is a bit exhausting to always be "on" isn't it? I'm definitely looking forward to some down time tomorrow! I imagine having you in laws nearby has its advantages but can be tough at times too!

Nbh: thank you! My girls love when we have Sundaes on Sunday's!ðŸ¨

Sinnie: thank you SO much!! â˜ºï¸ I know at times I'm really good about being assertive but at other times I just turn to mush. I need to have a game plan next time!

Iron: thank you! Not sure if I'll still have earned that reward by the weekends close but I actually had already bought my -15 lb reward and had it ready to go. Twas a matching nightgown/robe which I was able to wear while our guests were here instead of my usual tattered sweats and hole ridden shirt! 😊

Im nervous about what Monday will bring scale-wise. Saturday was reasonable but today was a little unstructured. Also we haven't worked out in four days so who knows. I know I'll get it back down either way but am hoping I didn't gain too much over the weekend.

Break: pizza eggs, cornmeal blueberry pancakes, skinny mocha
Lunch: hummus w veggies & chips, bite of burrito, bite of turkey
Snack: roasted seaweed (swear it's Good!), choc lolipop,
Dinner: chicken fajitas, low carb tortilla, tomatoes, avocado, beans

Kittson

Post by Kittson » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:48 pm

I was so happy to read that you had a great weekend with your DH's friend's wife! Yay!

Have a great week! Whenever I see a small gain in the scale I just remind myself that it's water and it will go away soon. You are doing a great job!

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:51 am

lpearlmom wrote:Twas a matching nightgown/robe which I was able to wear while our guests were here instead of my usual tattered sweats and hole ridden shirt!
Nice - definitely a good reason to break it out for the weekend! Once I'm no longer pregnant / breastfeeding (so, I dunno, 2017?) I'm going to get rid of a bunch of my most grubby casual and sleep wear and get some nicer / matching stuff.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:42 am

Thank you kittson! We definitely clicked!

Iron: Im bad about spending money on luxuries like that but wow it makes a difference in how I feel. Like I'm worth the effort. Best money spent in awhile. I got a dkny set at Macy's on sale ( aren't they always having a sale?) and the material feels divine so definitely recommend quality fabric!

Today was good although definitely a big fat red day. A bit of picking while I was cooking & while I was clearing dishes. Ugh not sure how to get a handle on this. Calorie wise it wasn't much but it's messing up my good habits.

I'm only up a pound since Friday so I'm good with that. Now I'm just keeping my eye on my next goal of -20 lbs. Next reward will be a dress. I rarely wear dresses but we're going to a wedding in the beginning of May so I might go for it. If I don't make my next goal by then, I'll get a sun dress for our san Diego trip in June.

Break: cereal w almond milk & fruit, coffee
Lunch: granola bar, yogurt, toast w hummus & tomatoes
Dinner: stuffed zucchini , cheesy cauliflower mash (so good): http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/03/crea ... puree.html

Exercise: 30 mins treadmill; 30 mins eliptical; 20 mins weights--yay!!!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:32 am

Weird day. Feeling fuzzy brained today. Then I blew up at my kids later for no real reason. Not sure what's going on with me. Perimenopuase maybe? Ugh!

Break: yogurt w berries & cereal, skinny mocha
Lunch: chicken patty, chips w nf sour cream, salad, Apple, iced coffee
Dinner: chicken lettuce wraps, sesame green beans

Exercise: 15 min dog walk; 30 min treadmill; 10 min eliptical

Lovedby2

Lovedby2

Post by Lovedby2 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:59 pm

Fantastic on the weight loss!! I related on the dreading company thing. I always end up enjoying it. Feeling a little reclusive in my old age. Keep up the good work on the routine.[/b]
Always learning.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:42 am

Thanks loved! I know I'm an introvert and have 24/7 company is so hard for me! I never understood how I would always test into the introvert as I'm not shy and am often found chatting up strangers. But once I understood the definition of an introvert was someone who felt drained by social interactions especially large groups and extroverts are energized by social situations, it made perfect sense to me.

Speaking of feeling drained I'm utterly exhausted. Everyone in our family is just SO intense. It feels like someone's always upset with someone else. When my girls aren't fighting, they're running around like crazy people. There's no in between. Oh well in a few weeks Dh & I are having a getaway weekend--yay!

Tiny bit of a red day...froyo slip up.

Break: lf muffin, ccffee w coconut creamer
Lunch: 1/2 veg sandwich, chips w hummus, pear, iced skinny mocha
Red moment: v small nf froyo
Dinner: salmon sirachi, cauliflowr fried "rice" glass wine

Exercise: 30 mins eliptical; 30 mins treadmill, 2 sets abs

Tired... Need sleep!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:02 am

My girls had the day off so I took them to the science center. We had fun but they are on my nerves for some reason. Just feeling super irritable and craving QUIET. Luckily Dh saved the day by taking us out to dinner to the Cheesecake Factory and I had two skinny cocktails which definitely helped.

I'm nervous about my weigh-in tomorrow. My week went pretty well but had a few slip ups & felt like I ate kind of a lot today. I guess we'll see!

Break: smoothie w protein powder, skinny mocha
Lunch: veggie burger w baked chips, iced skinny mocha
Dinner: seared tuna salad w small piece of bread, 2 skinny margaritas
Red moment: 2 small bites cheesecake--oops!

Mariposa1127

Great Job!

Post by Mariposa1127 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:48 am

I was reading some of your posts and I love your positive attitude.

Keep up the great work! :)

Kittson

Post by Kittson » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:19 pm

I hear you on craving quiet. Last night after my show was done, I turned off the TV and sat on the couch with my laptop in complete silence for about 45 minutes. It was wonderful.

Good luck with your weigh-in. Regardless of what the scale says, you are doing a great job!!

jbgnos

Post by jbgnos » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:13 am

Quiet is underrated. I heard a study once that said constant noise and chatter makes you sleepy. I TOTALLY buy that!

Hope you get some alone time this weekend. I know the feeling of nerves around the scale. You're doing well, it sounds like, so the scale can't take THAT away from you, no matter what!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:14 am

Thanks mariposa, kit & jb for your support and also nice to know I'm not alone in my need for serious quiet time.

I took my girls to the Scottsdale mall for some clothes shopping today (another day off). They did great but it's a kind of long drive and they pretty much talk non-stop. I'm glad they are full of life & energy but boy do I feel drained. Still feel weird & irritable. Snapped at my oldest daughter big time tonight. She deserved it kind of but not with so much force.

Definitely something hormonal is going on with me. I can feel it & it's nowhere near my time of the month so I'm thinking perimenopuase related (I'm almost 47). Oh well at least I'm aware something is off so doing my best not to give into the moods too much.

-16.8 lbs yay! Getting closer to the -20. I can't believe it! I actually wore an old favorite pair of jeans today--size 14!! They were slightly tight in the tummy thanks to my apple shape but I wore them & they looked great. I actually felt normal today at the mall. Maybe even a little attractive--woot woot!!

Break: nf yogurt w fruit & cereal, skinny mocha
Lunch: salad w grilled chicken, skinny mocha
Dinner: soup & salad w salmon

Exercise: 30 mins eliptical; 15 mins treadmill

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:44 am

Linda, I bet you are beautiful no matter what your size. But, I know what you mean about feeling attractive. Congrats on your many success.

In addition to the real possibility of perimenopause is the possibility that you are having a delayed reaction to all the life changing events of the last few months. Sometimes I think my head is going to either explode or implode if "one more person asks me to do one more thing! " I absolutely must have my alone time every day. (Doing laundry alone in the basement doesn't count :roll: )

You are doing great and deserve a break - you could ask your daughters to make you dinner and clean up tonight. Even if it's just eggs I bet they would love to do it and you deserve it.

Enjoy your weekend

nbh76

Post by nbh76 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:19 pm

I second what Gingerpie said... I always have a delay of irritability when events are extreme...good situation are as equal to bad...you have had very big life changing months Miss ! I stand by the bathroom trick...go in, close that door, close those eyes and BREATH !

Congrats on your weightloss tooooooo! Have a great weekend !

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:19 am

Thanks ginger! I know a lot of it is just feeling overwhelmed by everyone's neediness. In fact I snapped at my daughter last night because just as I finally sat down to relax she asked me for something. I paused for a half of second before responding and she gave me major attitude. Ugh, it doesn't help that Dh has been on call the last few days either. I did ask the girls if they'd make dinner one day this week and they liked the idea so we'll see. Could be good for everyone so thanks for the idea. I'm terrible about asking for help.

Nbh: could be related to all the recent changes. Even losing weight is bringing up a lot of different emotions. I do think there's something hormonal going on too though. I did try to escape in my bedroom, take a bath, send the girls to the park but nothing much was helping.

I felt like I was going to explode so I went to the gym today and took out all my emotions on the gym equipment. I went as hard as possible on the eliptical and cranked up my music all the way up. When I was done, I finally felt better but crashed hard. I felt like I was going to collapse into a pile right there on the floor. I'm okay now, my emotions have stabilized and I got a good workout so win-win.

Next weekend my mom & her bf are coming to watch the girls while Jon & I go on our rafting/wine tasting weekend. I'm so excited. We both really need this. I just hope the girls behave for my mom. Anyway something to look forward to is always good.

Break: 3 lf choc chip pancakes, 2 pieces turkey bacon, coffee
Lunch: granola bar, 1/2 package turkey jerky, handful nuts, pear
Snack: square chocolate, 1 choc lolipop
Dinner: salad w nf dressing; cup of soup, slice bread, glass of wine
Dessert: small bowl of soft serve, 1 choc lolipop

Exercise: 30 mins eliptical; 30 mins treadmill; 3 sets of abs & back

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:15 am

Great job on the weight loss, and on being able to wear the size 14 jeans! I hear you about needing alone time sometimes. My 3 yo DS talks nonstop, and I love him to pieces, but it can be very draining, sometimes.
You're doing great!

Heather

jbgnos

Post by jbgnos » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:47 pm

I'm almost 47 and I definitely have those major irritation moments that feel way too big for what is actually going on. It's changing hormones, even if we're still regular (I am, basically). When it seems so mountain-out-of-a-molehill for me, I know it's hormones and work on just observing and releasing them. THAT is a ninja skill that I no way have down pat!

Excellent story of the jeans and how you felt so great! And an 18 lb weightloss is no small amount. Go, you!

Kittson

Post by Kittson » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:19 pm

Congrats on the weight loss!! That's exciting news!

You handled your emotions like a champ. Taking it out on your workout was a great way to do it. I'm glad you're feeling better.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:40 am

Go Linda! Awesome news on the weigh in and wearing those favourite jeans :)

Your weekend away sounds like just the thing. We've got an overnight at a B&B this weekend and I can't wait!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:11 am

Thank you Heather I think those are my new favorite jeans! Yeah it's definitely that non-stop talking that gets tough. My brain just needs a minute to be able to think sometimes!

Jb: so glad I'm not alone in having this crazy emotions. I love that ninja image. Gonna use it!

Kittson: thank you so much! ðŸ˜

Iron: thank you! Can you believe I'm finally losing weight after all this time? SO glad I didn't give up! Yay for grown up time!!!!

Today was much better. I think the trick is to keep my youngest busy with me so my oldest can do her thing for awhile--make-up, hair, decorate her room, talk on the phone etc... She's fine once she's had some space & they actually played together really nicely this evening.

I really only had a few extra treats this weekend but it still makes me nervous. I just don't want to undo my hard work. I'll weigh myself tomorrow just so I can have an idea what to expect on Friday. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Break: 2 pieces low-fat zucchini bread, coffee
Lunch: 1/2 veg & avocado sandwich, skinny mocha
Snack: couple bites sandwich, 2 nuts, 1 lolipop
Dinner: seared scallops, salad, crudités w lf green goddess dip, glass wine
Dessert: 4 mini trail mix cookies, glass milk

Exercise: none :/. Dh is wanting to start doing some hardcore weightlifting. Not sure how I feel about this. Why can't he just leave well enough alone? Hmmmm...

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:40 am

Yay for a good sibling day! Just think, soon I get to start all that fun stuff ;)
lpearlmom wrote:Dh is wanting to start doing some hardcore weightlifting. Not sure how I feel about this. Why can't he just leave well enough alone? Hmmmm...
When you say "hardcore", what are you meaning?

Free weights, including heavy weights, can be awesome, and I definitely used them a lot back when I had gym time. I'm looking forward to eventually getting back to it after this pregnancy. Weight training did more for my appearance than cardio.

If your DH is going uber serious and trying to lift to his maximum, then the important thing is good form and building up to things slowly. If he hasn't done it already, I'd get some sessions with a trainer to make sure he is doing lifts correctly. I always told my clients I'd rather see them lift less weight, but with perfect form, than go for a new record and get an injury.

Kittson

Post by Kittson » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:24 am

Strength training is awesome! I second ironchef's suggestion of your DH seeing a trainer for form and maybe even a workout schedule. I am so thankful that I sought out help with kettlebells. I was doing tons of swings several times a week, and now my coach is having me do very low volume with heavier weight and each rep has to be as crisp and perfect as the first.

I also agree with ironchef about weight training doing more than cardio in my personal experience. My husband recently made the comment, "I can't believe how you've changed your body the last couple months." What I did was have to stop running due to an injury and I hit the weights (kettlebells). :)

Glad you found a technique to give your daughters some time alone and give your oldest some space. We all know the value of alone time!

I've been reading a book called The Conscious Parent (slowly, but I'm getting through), and I find it's a good reminder that my son is not ME. He is his own little person with his own view of the world. He came through me but is absolutely not me. I remind myself of this when I think something is his best interest but he is resisting. I don't know why I felt I had to share that, but I think it's interesting. Lol.

I hope you have a great day Linda!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:28 am

Thanks iron & kittson for the great advice & feedback. He's interested in the 5x5 workout: http://stronglifts.com/5x5/ Not sure if I'll join him but we'll see.

Kittson: that book sounds great. Thanks for sharing!

I'm feeling stresssssssssed today! My girls & my bday are all the first week of May so that means party planning galore & all that goes with it. Also our tenants lease is up & their moving out plus we're changing management companies. Tons of paperwork!

Ugh, I feel so overwhelmed but feel like I shouldn't be. Most people deal with so much more on a daily basis. I feel like such a wimp at times. Oh well I know I'll get it all done. I always do in the end.

Break: yogurt, skinny mocha
Lunch: boca burger, 1 slice toast, yogurt, Apple
Dinner: taco salad, glass wine

Exercise: 30 mins treadmill; 15 mins eliptical; 20 mins family walk

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:37 am

Linda you are doing so great. I just want you to know I get extremely stressed and overwhelmed with such things. You are so not alone. It feels so daunting but once you start chipping away at it you'll feel better. LIke you said, it always gets done!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:42 am

Thank you Sinnie! It helps a lot to know I'm not alone!

I'm exhausted but feeling a bit less stressed. I got all the paperwork done that I needed to and took care of some important details. It's crazy how much paperwork derails me. I find filling out forms so confusing for some reason. It must be some kind of learning disability or something.

In the end I just filled everything out as best I could which meant leaving a lot of stuff blank, signed everything and sent it all off so I could be done with it. Miracously they said everything was complete--yay! I just have a couple more details to take care of then I can stop worrying about that for awhile.

As for my daughters bday parties, I'll just have to hope everything goes okay. My biggest worry is that nobody will show up to my youngest daughters party. She chose a really far and somewhat hard to find place (an animal rescue center). I didn't really think about it at the time but now it's too late to change it as invitations have gone out.

My oldest daughter is having hers at the waterpark and my biggest concern is having to be responsible for ten twelve year old boy-crazed girls running around for 4 hrs! I'm sure it'll be fine! I hope!!

Anyway....

Break: yogurt w fruit & nuts, coffee
Lunch: 2 boca burgers w 1 piece bread & guacamole, smoothie
Dinner: skinny chicken Parmesan, miracle noodles, kale salad, glass wine

The chicken was excellent! http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/04/bake ... mesan.html

Exercise: 30 mins weights ( omg I'm sore!!); 30 mins treadmill

nbh76

Post by nbh76 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:13 pm

Bahhhh you're making me nervous about that paper work! AND the birthdays...LOL...my daughter's Bday is in May toooo and my anniversary...forget that though, my "baby" is going to be 25 ! She still wants me to do something fabulous for her B'day toooo! You sound like you have it well in hand Miss ! Have a great day Linda!

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:40 am

Wow, it sounds like you have a lot going on! I'm sure the parties will go fine. I'll have to find and try out that chicken recipe!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:55 am

Sorry Nbh! The realtors will help you manage the paperwork so it won't be so bad. You mean I'm still going to having to throw bday parties when they're in their twenties? Oh dear!

Today was good. I'm so much calmer now that I've sorted out most of the issues with our rental property. Yes I can breath again! I also managed to clean the frig out, do laundry and take care of some bday details. Tomorrow I just have to clean out the pantry, do some shopping and get the guest area ready for my mom.

One thing that is really bothering me is my friend hasn't texted me back in over a week. Normally I wouldn't think much of it. I'd assume she missed it or forget but she does this a lot lately and then she'll say something like "oh I totally forgot to hit the send button". She's also one to flake out on me a lot. I'm annoyed because her daughter usually attends both my girls bdays but I'm not about to text her with the party info when she's been so weird lately. On the other hand I feel like our daughters are being punished for our stupid issues. Oh boy I just suck at friendships. I really really do!!!!

Anyway.... *deep breath*

Break: cereal w fruit & nuts, skinny mocha
Lunch: boca burger w guacamole, baked chips, corn tortilla, strawberries
Dinner: chipotle chicken salad--no rice, cheese or s. Cream
Red moment: small "cookie" I made these cookies for my girls & had to try one: http://thesimpleveganista.blogspot.com/ ... bites.html
(Love that blog btw!)

Exercise: none--Dh has us on this new program that I'd just 3x/wk but my legs hurt so badly that I'm not sure I can do it tomorrow. Seriously my legs almost gave out several times today!

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:34 am

lpearlmom wrote:On the other hand I feel like our daughters are being punished for our stupid issues.
Hi Linda,
Just to appeal to your better self... I never regret taking the high road and texting something like "Hi, Friend! How are things going? Will we get to see your daughter at our brithday parties this year?". Nine times out of ten if I don't do that, something sort of big has happened in the other person's life and I feel bad. Just my 2 cents.
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

Kittson

Post by Kittson » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:23 pm

I never regret taking the high road
So true!

Linda, sorry to hear about your friend. I have a "friend" with similar tendencies. It's tough b/c like you, our children are friends.

When in doubt, kill them with kindness.

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:22 pm

Definitely still text. I have a 'friend' who almost never answers texts and emails and if she does is days late, but my son gets on well with her daughter so I suck it up. If I think of it as for him, not me, it stops me feeling like I'm pathetic to keep trying.

For the delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS) when starting a new weights program - I hear you! Oww! You can help make it less severe by making sure you ease into a new program slowly (lighter weights, etc) and by trying to get blood moving in the sore areas for the 72 hours after a session. But, starting a new strength program will inevitably make you a bit sore. A few ideas that can help:
  • 1. Try to finish off sessions with some cool down stuff (walking, stationary bike, etc) and some stretching.
    2. Static stretching before lifting does not help, and may make it worse. Preferably warm up and do some dynamic stretching instead.
    3. Warm bath or shower. I really like to alternate cold and hot shower on the worst area.
    4. Move the next day, even if you REALLY don't feel like it. Get the blood moving with something lighter, e.g. swimming, cycling or walking so your circulation gets to work. End that light walk with some more gentle stretching.
Good luck! And I'm sure you know this, but don't strength train the same body part two days in a row.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:58 am

Thanks you guys! I ended up emailing her all the bday info so I didn't feel I was getting in the way of the girls friendships. She texted me soon after I sent the email. I haven't responded yet. I'm not as nice as y'all. I'm annoyed but I will get over it & respond on Monday. I've done my duty & she can wait.

Thank you iron! I am so crazy sore! I used to do sports and even was on the hardcore rowing team in college so I know sore but this is different. My legs have literally almost given out on me several times & I had to catch myself. Crazy! I will try out your tips. One question? DH says I need to be drinking protein shakes after our work-outs but because if NoS I haven't wanted to do so. Do you think they're helpful or no?

The plan we're doing is just 3x/wk w complete rest days in between. We're doing a half hour of cardio after weights but because I'm so sore, I haven't been able to push myself as hard and I'm worried I'm not going to continue to lose weight with this new plan. Weigh-in day is tomorrow so I guess we'll see. I'm nervous. My mom is coming and I'm hoping she notices. I guess I still want her to be proud of me.

Anyway, today went well. I went to Costco and found so many great products to fit with our new way of eating. I also got a new cookbook The thug kitchen or something. It's vegan and pretty cool. All of this just made me ridiculously happy for some reason. I guess I thought eating super healthy & losing weight would take all the joy I get from cooking, shopping & enjoying foid as a family but if anything it's made it more enjoyable. I love the challenge of making things healthy & delicious. Yay!

Break: poached egg, ww toast, coffee
Lunch: boca burger, baked chips w lf s cream & salsa, 2 oat clusters
Protein shake (counted it as 1 of my 3 drinks/day)
Dinner: turkey burger on ww bun, bowl of veggie soup, sm glass wine

Exercise: 30 mins weights; 30 mins bike

Nervous about weigh in tomorrow!

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:03 am

Hi Linda,
Yay, for putting the girls' friendships first! I'm sure you won't regret that.
Just a thought on your weight lifting thing... the protein shakes are a good idea if you want to build muscle. It may slow down your weight loss, in that you'll be getting smaller and fit but maybe not "lighter". Would you be willing to change your goals, say from a particular # on the scale to a certain measurement off your waist or other place on your body? Maybe make your reward a dress for going down a dress size instead of going down a # of pounds? It's a paradigm shift, but maybe one worth making.
I'm excited for you. Wish I had an exercise buddy who was so enthusiastic, like your husband. I think building muscle and getting fit is the best way to ward against the weight coming back on.
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:13 am

lpearlmom wrote:One question? DH says I need to be drinking protein shakes after our work-outs but because if NoS I haven't wanted to do so. Do you think they're helpful or no?
My humble opinion on protein shakes: Myself, even when I was lifting relatively heavy, I rarely bothered with protein shakes, as I'd prefer to eat protein sources at real meals (eggs, lean meats or fish, legumes, etc - hell, even porridge oats have a fair whack of protein in them), instead of something processed shaken up in a tub. I figure real food is going to have more nutrients (macro and micro) overall. If your main goal is high performance sports or to gain muscle mass, then yes, there is a small window (I think 30 - 60 minutes) after a lifting sessions where your muscles are super keen to restock on protein and glycogen, so planning an appropriate drink or meal in that window can help you with that goal. That's where a shake can be convenient for someone who is running from gym to work etc and can't have a meal.

For clients who have weight loss as their main goal and are just starting out with a small amount of lifting, I usually don't recommend them. For someone trying to lose a substantial amount of body fat, drinking a bunch of calories is not going to help, whether it is "healthy" or a martini :) Unless you're prepared to cut the corresponding energy from one of your daily meals (in my experience most people aren't, and I think that's fair enough).

These are only my thoughts. If you like them, or find you want to have them because you're feeling sick/shaky or because your next meal is too far away, that's totally up to you. If you find they stall your weight loss you can always ditch them again.
The plan we're doing is just 3x/wk w complete rest days in between. We're doing a half hour of cardio after weights but because I'm so sore, I haven't been able to push myself as hard and I'm worried I'm not going to continue to lose weight with this new plan.
Don't worry if your cardio is not as intense. You've done hard work with the weights, and if you start to build muscle that will burn more energy even when you're not training. Remember, long, slow cardio counts too - it may not do as much for your VO2max, but it is still using up energy. You can go for an easy walk or swim on your rest days as "recovery" if you want to.
I love the challenge of making things healthy & delicious. Yay!
Your family is lucky you're such a great cook - I'm sure you could make any diet delicious :)
Nervous about weigh in tomorrow!
Good luck!

Edited to add: Your DOMS is not caused by lack of protein - that's not the mechanism at work.

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:44 pm

Hi Linda,

My 2¢ worth. My 16 year old son runs cross country and is vegetarian. He has to field questions/comments/unwanted advice constantly regarding his protein. We have done a huge amount of research on the issue and have concluded that he is fine with the protein he gets from his daily meals. (we eat a lot of eggs, beans, whole grains, soy in various forms but mostly tofu, nuts, seeds, dairy and occasionally fish) Protein is in a lot of food even vegetables. It is just that the amounts and types of protein varies. As long as you are eating a varied healthful diet (which you are) and your not training as an elite athlete (which, I think, you aren't :wink: ) then you are probably getting enough protein. My son has started telling people that gorillas are vegetarian and no one thinks they have to eat meat.

Congrats on all your continued successes. Enjoy your s-day

nbh76

Post by nbh76 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:18 pm

Yeah I'm with gingerpie on this too. Here's my experience with being pescetarian ( I occasionally eat fish ) I have been slightly anemic my entire life... I have been a pesco for around eight years now and I am no longer anemic...I also just identify as vegetarian because I very rarely have fish...but for the protein convo I just think full disclosure is more helpful....LOL

You are doing so great, have a good weekend!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:53 am

Thanks all for the great feedback. Very informative! I guess my main concern was whether it would help with my muscle recovery. Iron pretty much answered that (thank you!) so I think I'm going to pass on the protein shakes for now. If I do decide to have one now & then I'll make sure it replaces one of my 3 allowed drinks/day. The protein shakes we have are only 120 cals so I think that'll be fine.

So my mom came and she barely acknowledged my weight loss but made a huge deal about how skinny Dh looked. Then she turned to me and said "it's so unfair how men lose weight so much faster than us". Ouch! Way to be encouraging. Sigh... Why does this hurt so much? It's like all those old childhood feelings of never being good (skinny) enough flooding back. It's the first time since I started losing weight that I felt like giving up.

Clearly I need to just go by how I feel about me. I do feel like I'm making a lot of progress. I feel like I look pretty darn good and feeling healthy and know it's only going to get better. I hope!

Oh well she's looking after my girls while Dh and I are off having fun so I can't really complain. Of course I had to pick the one town in Az that's built on a hill which means everywhere we go is either a walk up or down a steep slope. Ouch on my thighs although they're almost better thank goodness!

We had such a fun day river rafting & wine tasting although this is the most I've eaten in one day in several weeks. Little worried about my weight but we gotta allow for these indulgences now & then so I'll just have to make it work. Friday I was at -17.2 lbs which means I didn't make my weekly goal but at least the scale is still moving in the right direction and frankly I just refuse to give up no matter how hard things get.

Break: fruit, yogurt, migas, bite of pastry, coffee w cream
Lunch: wine, shared antipasto platter
Dinner: calamari, salmon, rice, veggies, more wine
Dessert: shared chocolate cake w whipped cream, coffee

Exercise: paddling 1.5 hrs (pretty mellow), walked around town 30 mins

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:15 am

Linda, I'm sorry your mom didn't notice your weight loss. :( You're right, you should go by how you feel about your progress. Try not to worry about the extra food. I'm sure you'll get the weight off in no time, when you and your DH get back. It sounds like you're having a great trip, so far!

Heather

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:35 am

Oh Linda, I really feel for you and I think most of us can relate to that feeling in some way very strongly. Mothers are wonderful people, but sometimes they just don't get exactly what they says or shouldn't say. Whether it's a generational thing, or a closeness thing, or whatever it may be, they just sometimes feel it's okay to be a certain way with their kids. Perhaps since you're her daughter, she didn't feel the need to go over-the-top but wanted to be extra nice to your husband (not sure if I explained that right, it's weird, but sometimes we're less nice to those closest to us). Perhaps she didn't want to make you feel like you were not looking good before, as though you were big and now you're "finally looking better" sort of thing? In any case, I can identify with wanting to throw in the towel at something like that - many, many women would go off on a binge - but not you!!! I consider you to be extremely strong and unwavering. You make a decision and stick to it, and no one really gets in your way. It's just amazing. Keep on girl, you're incredible.

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:08 pm

Oh Linda, I'm really sorry your mother didn't acknowledge your progress, especially as you can see and feel the difference (and the change in fit of your clothes!). Those old crappy patterns can be so hard to break - both her pattern in how she chooses to speak to you, and your gut reaction to that negativity. There's something so compelling about feelings that link back to childhood / adolescence, even if we've long since become relatively self confident adults.

You have made a huge amount of progress in the past few months, amongst a lot of other stressors. You have every reason to be proud of yourself. It's so tempting to want others to be proud and happy for us too, but that's something beyond our control. I found this quote a while back when dealing with some negative feedback from others about my body / appearance, and it really struck me:
"Whoever's approval you seek imprisons you. Choose your jailer with care and deliberation" - Jamal Rahim

Sounds like a really fabulous get away, I'm so glad you and your DH got that break together.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:19 am

Thank you heather, Sinnie & iron. You have no idea how much hearing all your kind words helps me to sort of get mentally back to a good place. It's funny because I guess my mom kind of realized she hurt my feelings because one of the first things she did when I got home today was to compliment how good I looked & she made a point of saying how she could notice my weight loss efforts.

I was definitely relieved mostly because I didn't want me to have any bitter feelings towards her but I'm also glad I was able to get to a good place thanks to you all before that. It's important my feelings about myself aren't dependent upon how others feel about me.

Sinnie: I think you're right that my mom just wasn't sure what she should say as the last few years my weight has sort of been a taboo topic. Suddenly I want her to say something? It must be confusing.

Iron: thank you for our kind words. I love that quotation. So true about those old patterns. There's a lot of baggage regarding food/diet/weight with my mom but overall I know she just wants me to be happy and for us to have a good relationship. Unfortunately it's just not always so simple. Anyway we did have a lovely time and it sounds like you did too. So awesome!

Heather: thank you ! I almost never get on the scale in the afternoon/evening but took a peek today when I got home. So far no weight gain-phew!

Break: tortilla & eggs; cereal w yogurt, juice, coffee
Lunch: small piece of pizza, banana, handful nuts, mocha
Snack: cookie, lolipop
Dinner: zucchini noodles w avocado sauce & veggies, 3 turkey meatballs, sm piece of bread, glass wine
Dessert: bite of fudge, 2 choc covered cherries

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:43 am

Good day. My mom went back home and luckily we left things in a good note. Then we had friends over tonight which was nice but my introvert nature is screaming for some alone time.

Break: green smoothie
Lunch: 1/2 veg & avo sandwich; rice chips, watermelon, 1 oat cluster, skinny mocha
Dinner: grilled swordfish; Greek salad, asparagus, barley; 2 glasses wine

Exercise: 40 mins weights

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:07 am

My mom is gone now but she always had a comment about my weight. She would say I looked like I had lost weight whether I had or not. She was trying to be kind, but my internal message was that I was fat. I was much taller and bigger than my mom and older sister, but other than a college gain and gains after each child, I was not significantly overweight until my mid 30s. I am now still 10-15 pounds overweight per BMI but very active.

So...now I am a mom of 3 adult children. Two of them fluctuate on their weight but are athletic and healthy. The other one is slender and also very active. I totally stay away from commenting on the weight of my children or anyone else unless they bring it up. I make positive comments about athletic achievements or may comment on physical fitness or "looking good", but that is it.

I think you are right that weight may be a hot topic to stay away from in your mom's mind. At least you figured that out on your own. Maybe it was easier for her to comment on your husband where there is less history?

I guess I am like your mom in a way.... I try to be positive with my children but realize that I say things that they react to even though I did not mean to sound critical or judgmental. This applies not only to weight but to all areas of life.
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:25 am

Thanks for stopping by Jean! I hear ya & I'm the same way actually. I never comment on ppls weight esp my kids. I tell them all the time they're beautiful and have cute figures but never comment on size. I guess the only reason it bothered me about my mom was that when she called a few weeks back she asked me if I'd lost weight when I told her how we changed our eating/exercising habits. I told her I'd lost 13 lbs (at the time) so it kind of stung that she didn't at least pretend to notice my 17 lb loss when I saw her. Also her gushing at dhs weight loss made it more hurtful somehow.

But I think it's such a loaded subject and she's not sure what I'm wanting from her at this point. I don't blame her but wanted to acknowledge how painful these feelings of inadequacies still are for me. It sounds like both our moms are/were just doing their best and that's all we can really ask for in the end.

Anyway today was okay but I felt esp irritable today. I'm trying to just notice these moods without allowing them to overtake me. I did snap at my oldest dd tonight regarding food (seems to be an ongoing mother/daughter theme). She's not been eating v much for dinner lately and then she'll eat a big dessert. She's not normally a huge sweets person so I think my new way of cooking as been a little challenging for her although compared to a lot of kids she's a very open minded eater (loves tomatoes, mushrooms, onions etc). We finally came up with a good plan where I'll have easy stuff in the freezer for her that she can make if she doesn't like dinner but things were def tense for a bit there. Luckily we all went to bed happy--yay!

Break; cereal w almond milk and fruit, 1 chicken sausage link; skinny mocha
Lunch: 1/2 veg sandwich; handful chips w lf dip; salad; fruit
Dinner: vegan Posole & curried chickpea salad (both vegan & both great!!) ; glass wine

https://houseofanansipress.wordpress.co ... have-both/

http://thesimpleveganista.blogspot.com/ ... salad.html

Red moments: too much "tasting" during cooking

Lovedby2

Lovedby2

Post by Lovedby2 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:36 pm

Hi Ipearlmom! I totally get the mom comments. My mom is naturally tall and thin. She has never dieted. Well, I take that back. She did diet, once, to loose 5-10 lbs. I have always struggled with weight. I am also short. I am now 59 and her constant reminders that I need to get the weight off before I get too old and more resistant to weight loss still bug me. When I did loose 20 lbs a few years ago she commented that 20 more lbs and I would look fabulous. Who doesn't want to look fabulous? I never did. I did gain it back though. :(
Am I ranting? Sorry. I have a wonderful husband who, in 27 years has told me I am beautiful inside and out. Isn't that sweet? He values who I am and who I am becoming. I have realized that my mom really values looks, I would say, in an unhealthy way. Unhealthy because she doesn't value the worth of someone simply because of who they are, what they contribute, how they love others. You get the picture. So, I am working on accepting that about her and at the same time valuing the gifts that have been given to me to share and bless others. It isn't easy and I am still affected, but it is getting better. You have lost 50 lbs, right? I have been meaning to go back and read your journey. I am sure I will learn a lot from you. Have a blessed day.
Don't neglect that alone time. From one introvert to another.
Always learning.

nbh76

Post by nbh76 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:42 am

Okay so this thread was way interesting. Your mother is a ginormous butt...LOL...I would be so irritated with that woman. Also I grew up surrounded with those kind of women ( don't get me wrong I loved them all dearly ) but they were all ginormous butts too! Try saying it ... it makes you feel pretty good. I am thinner then my mother btw and every time she gets rid of her clothes she will say " here... this is way to big for me...do you want it ?" I think the last time she did that I called her an a** ! I am done with that kind of crap and you should be too. ( actually I know you are but I got carried away thinking what a ginormous butt someone was LOL )

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:12 am

Hi loved thanks for stopping by and sharing your story. It made me kind of emotional and I think so many of us relate to those kind of experiences on one level or another.

Nbh: I agree it's good to have a sense of humor about these things and yes I definitely love my mom despite her imperfections. I know I have more than my share of them!

Today was pretty good although I felt like I should have got a lot more done. I let myself get sucked in to this reality show Married at First Sight. Oh well I'll kick it up a notch tomorrow. One thing I have to do is buy something to wear to a wedding we're going to on Sunday. I'm really not feeling ready to face dressing rooms just yet but it's gotta be done.

On the plus side, Dh got his blood work results back from Monday and everything looks great! He's no longer considered diabetic which means he doesn't have to go on Meds for this. Also his cholesterol was way down so basically he just has to keep doing what he's doing. When he told me the good news I burst into tears unexpectedly. I guess I was holding my breath over this without even realizing it. So happy he's doing so well !

Break: cereal w almond milk & fruit, skinny mocha
Lunch: curry garbanzo salad on lavosh, yogurt, fruit, skinny iced blended
Dinner: chicken verde, salad, wine

Exercise: none :/ Dh got home too late. Not happy w lack of exercise lately. Worried I'm going to gain as I haven't scaled back my eating. Need to figure out new plan.

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:54 pm

Wow, those are some great results for your DH - and so quickly too. Really delighted to read such great news!

Good luck with the dress shopping - I know you're going to look beautiful at that wedding, regardless of what you wear.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri May 01, 2015 5:45 am

Yeah Iron thank you! He's doing great and it's very likely his numbers will continue to go down. Super proud of him.

Also thanks for your sweet encouragement. Why must shopping be such a terrifying experience? It actually went much better than expected although there were a few horrifying moments of trying on some dresses that did me no favors. Dresses & me just do not mix! Or I should say short & apple shaped in a dress no bueno.

I did find a cute wrap dress but I'm worried it's not fancy enough. Dh is wearing a tux (he's in the wedding). I also found a cute black skirt that I might try to pair with a fancy shirt. We'll see but on the plus size I found a ton of adorable shirts and a couple of pants I felt just downright cute in. And it felt great to have to go back for a smaller size instead of a bigger one. Yay! I'm in a size 1x for pants & a 1x or 2x for tops. This is down from 2x-3x so I'm thrilled. Spent a lot of money but was money well spent. Forgot how clothes that actually fit look so much better than my old baggy things.

This weekend is going to be insane. Tomorrow night we're going to one of my favorite restaurants to celebrate my bday (early) and sat is my youngest daughters bday party/sleepover. Then Sunday we have the wedding! And somewhere in there I have to help my oldest daughter finish her presentation on Spain for Tuesday. Oh boy!!

Break: 2 ww pancakes, fruit
Lunch: edamame, soup, seared tuna (went to lunch w friend)
Dinner: shrimp, veggie soup

Shrimp was so dang good:
http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/05/bang ... hrimp.html

Exercise: none :( def getting back on track next week.

Have no idea what to expect for weigh in. I'm pmsing & haven't been exercising so..... Who knows?

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Fri May 01, 2015 9:37 am

Hey, HAPPY BIRTHDAY! All the best people are born this time of year ;)

Ugh, I feel you on clothes shopping. I hate it. I'm a size bigger on the bottom than on the top, so dresses very rarely look right as they are cut for you to be the same size all the way up. I'm also large hipped, but small waisted, so most jeans and trousers either bulge/wrinkle on the legs and butt or gape at the waist. Also, I really must have dresses with shape / darts / a correct waist line, otherwise I look like my whole body is the size of my hips - not a good look. A few years ago the fashion here was for all these shift dresses with high neck lines that were shapeless but really short - like, I'm worried about showing my panties short. I basically bought nothing for a year.

Lovedby2

Lovedby2

Post by Lovedby2 » Fri May 01, 2015 3:03 pm

17 lbs is fantastic! I'm pretty sure I would give my eye teeth for that! I love that feeling of getting into smaller clothes. It makes it all worth it. Have a really great time this weekend celebrating your birthday. Sounds like your a great mom and you probably deserve a much needed break. :D
Always learning.

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Sat May 02, 2015 12:37 am

Happy birthday!!! I'll bet it felt great to fit into smaller clothes! I hear you on dress shopping. I only own a couple of dresses, because I have a hard time finding dresses that fit. I'm more of an hourglass shape, so I have a larger bust, smaller waist, and larger hips. I hope you have a great birthday celebration!

Heather

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat May 02, 2015 7:16 am

Thank you guys--my bday is next week but tonight was the only night we could squeeze in a dinner. I love that we all have very different body types yet relate to the dress thing. Makes me feel so much better. I ended up taking the other dress back because I found some old thing in the back if my closet that'll work. It's kind of gaudy but it's definitely fancy and it fits so there ya go!

We ended up having so much fun tonight. We went to this amazing little restaurant situated on a local farm so when they say farm to table, they mean it. We got a driver so we didn't have to worry about drinking & it was so much fun just watching everyone let lose for once. Obviously today was an S day.

-19.8 lbs really? So unbelievably awesome! Two ppl noticed my weight loss today. Seems like I hit a magic number or something.

Break: toast w poached egg, fruir, coffee
Lunch: granola bar, skinny mocha
Dinner: margarita plus 6 course tasting menu with wine pairing.

Tomorrow is going to be madness. Bedtime!

Kittson

Post by Kittson » Sat May 02, 2015 11:41 am

Awesome job on the weight loss!!!! That's got to feel so good. And to have two people notice in the same day? So cool!

The restaurant you went to sounds really fun. What a great experience to have with friends!

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Sat May 02, 2015 11:55 am

:) always an inspiration Linda . . . I love your story about your dress. Makes total sense to me: Why spend money on a new fancy dress you're only going to wear once because you're going to lose another 30 pounds? 8)

Anyway, I agree with Ironchef. You're going to look beautiful no matter what rag you put on.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sun May 03, 2015 5:00 am

Thanks SO much kittson & ginger for your kind words and support!

Was weird looking at some of the pictures of me from last night. On the one hand it was very refreshing to not cringe in horror at my massive image but on the other hand it was like damn I still have a good ways to go. When did 20 lbs become a drop in the bucket. *sigh* I can do this though.

Today was so awesome. One of the best parties I've thrown. Usually there's a point leading up to the party that I'm just so tense I have to freak out a little. Complete meltdowns have been known to happen. Today when I felt myself start to get worked up, I just told myself I was just going to stay calm no matter what. Somehow everything gets done on time so what was the point of stressing everyone out?

Anyway, Talia had her party at the animal rescue place and despite my fears, plenty of people did show up and the kids all seemed to have a great time. They kept them busy and they got to interact with everything from a dog to a chinchilla. Then I let her have 3 friends sleepover so we all went to dinner and then they went swimming once we got home. Makes me happy to see how happy she is surrounded by her best friends and family. She's so loved. I can't believe how big she's getting though (10 yrs). At one point they all went off to the bathroom to try on lip gloss. When did this happen? Breaks my heart a little. I just love that child so much.

EAting wise, today was a little chaotic. I'm sure my weight will be up a little on Monday but that's okay. I still have the dreaded wedding tomorrow but Dh won't let me out of it. Ah well....

Break: yogurt w fruit & cereal, skinny mocha
Lunch: small bag of baked chips, handful nuts
Snack: piece of ice cream cake yum!
Dinner: salad w grilled chicken, 1 piece of pizza, 2 sangrias
Dessert: couple bites of cannoli, couple of nuts

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Sun May 03, 2015 10:02 pm

Wow, great work Linda :) 20 lb reward here you come!!

Sounds like a brilliant party, well done. Hope the wedding is heaps more fun that you're expecting.

Also, on the lip gloss, my son is obsessed with the lip balm (uncoloured) which I use for dry lips. When I wore a tinted gloss to my SIL wedding, he insisted on having some as well. Not even 3, and already fashion conscious ;)

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon May 04, 2015 5:54 am

Haha iron that's adorable! 😀 lipgloss is loved by people of all ages/gender!

Well yep the wedding was much more fun than I expected. I ended up wearing even a different outfit. Just a cute black fitted skirt, a cute fitted top. Heels & sparkly jewelry made it fancy and some spanx underneath was helpful. Nobody was dressed really super fancy so I'm glad I didn't wear the 2nd outfit!

The wedding was a little hard to watch at first because of the circumstances. It's Dh old partner who left his wife and married a nurse. It's hard because this what every Drs wife secretly fears and because of course I knew the wife and their kids. It's a little heartbreaking to think about the family breaking up. But I know Dh wouldn't do this. We have a good marriage and he's a good guy but still it was a little hard to watch.

The bride was very nice though and I do hope they'll be happy together. Dh & I sat with some old friends and caught up, the food was decent and we even danced a little so all & all not a bad night!

It was a nibbling kind of day so I'm not going to bother writing it all down but looking forward to being back on track tomorrow !

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Mon May 04, 2015 6:08 am

Sounds like you made the perfect fashion choice. Now you can save that dress shopping money to get your next reward present :)

Oof, the wedding does sound slightly tricky. We recently attended a friend's second wedding which was less than 2 years after his first one. The second wife is really lovely and we all think she is very well suited to our friend, but it was a bit awkward for a lot of us who were there 20 months ago for the same ceremonies and toasts etc. He really wanted to do the full celebration again though, because it was his wife's first wedding, so he didn't want her to miss out.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue May 05, 2015 5:38 am

Oh that sounds even more awkward iron! Oh well hopefully both couples will live happily ever...

Not sure what my 20 lb reward will be since clearly the dress thing didn't pan out. Something little since we've been hemorrhaging money like crazy lately. Maybe an old fashioned colander or funky apron. 😀

Anyway today was utterly exhausting. My almost 12 year old has a 20 min oral report tomorrow & is just beside herself with nervousness. She has been a roller coaster of emotions all day/night. She did a great job though. Super cute video of her making a Spanish cake and she has props, photos (from my trip to Spain) and a large map. I know she'll do fine but I think the whole family will be much happier when tomorrow is over.

I was only up .8 lbs which isn't bad considering how much we ate out in the last few days. I'm just super frustrated we didn't work out again today. Dh has just been working so much and we may need to try for some early morning workouts.

Break: 2 ww flapjacks w fruit, skinny mocha
Lunch: veggie soup, shrimp w barley, watermelon, iced tea latte w almond milk
Dinner: cauliflower tacos w beans and avocado, 1/2 beer

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed May 06, 2015 12:21 am

Hi, LInda, I've been lurking.

20 minutes for a 12-year old! We can't get most of our high school students to present for five minutes, and that's mostly reading from a paper or card. 'Course, the presentations have to be about more content these days.

If she can do that, she has most adults beat.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed May 06, 2015 5:25 am

I know oolala I thought that sounded long for a 6 grader too! She ended up going over by 20 mins so was up there for an impressive 40 mins. Her teacher emailed me to say what a great job she did and that she seemed like a natural presenter. I couldn't be more proud of her!

Of course tonight she's freaking out about something else. Summer break is in 3 1/2 weeks and I think we're all ready for it!

Break: turkey bacon break sand, skinny mocha
Lunch: boca burger on lavosh, handful chips, fruit & nuts
Dinner: enchilada soup (family favorite): http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/12/croc ... -soup.html
Crab guacamole (delish!) , handful chips

Exercise: weights 30 mins; treadmill 15 min--yay finally!

I'm really enjoying the weight lifting!

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Wed May 06, 2015 10:43 am

Well done her, 40 minutes is impressive.

Yay for weights - they really are addictive after a while :)

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Wed May 06, 2015 3:04 pm

I Love LOVE Skinnytaste recipes... but haven't tried the enchilada soup. Must add it to the list! Crab guacamole also sounds amazing!!!!
Military wife and homeschool mom of two boys, 15 and 10.
No-S restart 01/08/23
SW: 239

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed May 06, 2015 3:56 pm

Thank you iron--she did great!

Tobias--I know I love her too. Not sure if you have her cookbook but I highly recommend it. Here's the guacamole recipe: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2015/01/crab-guacamole.html

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu May 07, 2015 5:44 am

Oh boy another emotional day (we seem to have those a lot around here). Was youngest daughters actual bday today. Birthdays around here get you the full treatment--choice of breakfast, taken out to lunch (even on school day), choice of dinner, cake w candles (even if you already had one at your party), presents from family and calls from grandparents. And since she's now into double digits it's considered an extra special birthday so she got her surprise gift tonight which is a trip to San Diego. *whew*

Anyway my bday is tomorrow and my mil sent me my present. When she asked me what I wanted a couple of weeks ago, I very clearly told her how grateful I'd be for a new slow cooker as mine is falling apart--I have to use a wrench just to turn the knobs. So I've been anxiously awaiting this gift (I use it at least once a week). Well today I got her gift but it was in a Nordtrom box and was most definitely not a slower cooker. It was clothes and for some reason this caused me to burst into tears.

I'm not sure why I found this so upsetting but I just really don't like people buying me clothes. I hate them guessing my size/style. I don't know, its just too personal somehow. Too invasive almost. Especially when clothes were never asked for. Especially when that person has been tall & thin their whole life and has no idea what an ordeal shopping can be.

Anyway yes clearly I have issues. When she called today, I lied and told her I hadn't opened it yet. Then she told me the slow cooker was coming too for my Mother's Day gift. Okay so that's super generous of her but still I'm taking those clothes back for a purse or new work out clothes.

Other than that was a good day. Talia had a wonderful day and was sad her bday was ending tonight. My girls were so sweet when they found out I was disappointed about not getting what I wanted and they were planning to scrape their allowances together and buy it for me. I'm pretty lucky I know.

Break: cereal, fruit, nuts w almond milk
Lunch: veg burger, salad, skinny mocha
Dinner: scallops, broccoli, mashed potatoes, wine
S event: tiny piece of cake (all these bdays are killing me).

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu May 07, 2015 9:29 am

Sorry the gift hit you so hard. You are definitely entitled to your feelings, but I hope you can also try to assume the best intentions of MIL. Maybe it's a generational thing. My mom often bought clothes as gifts, even for girlfriends she hadn't seen for years. It's nice she's still getting your the cooker! Maybe she thought you'd really rather have something feminine for your birthday and something practical for Mother's Day. But I know what you mean about feeling let down. I actually have a hard time with gifts; giving and getting, unless I know the person's tastes and he/she knows me pretty well. I've definitely exchanged gifts! Got some good stuff that way...

Or maybe your MIL continually discounts your feelings and opinions and this was just the last straw! That woman! But it sounds like you handled it graciously with her; the high road often really does pay off.

Hey, you'll be in my neck of the woods on your daughter's trip! I'd say let's have coffee but you'll probably be swamped every minute. You do know the weather is very iffy from now through the end of June...
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Thu May 07, 2015 10:46 am

What a day, you poor sausage! And absolutely, quietly exchanging for what you want is a great way to go.
tiny piece of cake (all these bdays are killing me).
Your May sounds like my April! It's amazing how these things seem to all happen at the same time :)

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu May 07, 2015 1:04 pm

It's all that end-of-the-summer frivolity...
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri May 08, 2015 4:25 am

oolala53 wrote:It's all that end-of-the-summer frivolity...

That's so funny oolala, yes something definitely going on mid-August for me. 😊 btw coffee would be fun if I could just tear myself away from my family long enough that is. I did forget about foggy June days although I should know better (grew up in Manhattan beach). We're staying a night at the zoo, then a few days at mission beach. Will be fun no matter what and I'll be happy with anything under 100 degrees.

I know the clothes thing is so crazy/neurotic. For the record I think my Mil's intentions are purely good. It's hard to explain but I just feel like I'm fighting these private demons with my body right now. When I'm a size eight people are welcome to buy me all the clothes they want. I know complaining about gifts seems pretty lame/privileged.

Anyway my birthday ended up to be really nice. My girls woke up early and made me breakfast in bed and Dh did the dishes. They had a half day so we went for mani/pedis and lunch. Then tonight we all went to dinner. My girls even made a pact not to fight and stuck to it so I'm pretty pleased. The only downside was the hostess got snooty with me when I asked for a booth (there were four open) and then Dh got upset with me for being such a B. The funny thing is he says I don't realize how mean I come across but what he doesn't realize is that was fully my intention because I used to be a hostess and she just wasn't doing her job. Okay deep breathe. Why is life constantly so complicated?

I'm dreading weigh in tomorrow. Been a week of Ss and not much exercise. I'll be glad when this weekend is over. Way too much spending & eating!

Break: scrambled eggs, toast, skinny mocha
Lunch: Thai salad
Dinner: lots of Chinese food, 2 glasses wine

Went to the gym but 3 sets and Dh pulled something in his back so had to cut our work out short...bummer!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat May 09, 2015 4:47 am

-21.2 lbs

Wow, I'm pleasantly surprised that I'm continuing to lose weight even under less than perfect conditions. It's weird because I don't feel the least bit deprived. It makes me wonder just how much I was eating before.

Anyway today was good. Tomorrow is oldest daughters bday party. I'm kind of nervous about it. Me and 10 Tweens at the water park. It's going to definitely be a little crazy but 3.5 hrs and we're done! Thankfully she's not having anyone sleepover. We're going to go to take her to dinner later and I have a surprise bday cake in the freezer for her. Then we'll be officially through the bday season! Even our dogs bday was celebrated tonight w a pup cake. Yep we've officially gone overboard.

Break: cereal, fruit, nuts w almond milk
Lunch: grilled chicken burger on ww
Dinner: bowl soup, handful of chips w salsa, glass wine

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat May 09, 2015 5:13 am

Excellent.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Sat May 09, 2015 6:12 am

Woohoo - go Linda!

This is what I love about No S. If someone came to you today and said "you'll have to eat like this for the rest of your life" it wouldn't be a drama at all. Mostly moderate meals, but with a few small treats at weekends and a special meal or piece of cake for birthdays or other special celebrations - it's just so humane!

Good luck with the final birthday party!
(pup cakes - LOL!).

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sun May 10, 2015 6:28 am

Thank you oolala & iron. It's so true iron. I can happily eat like this forever. In fact after a couple of days of overindulgences (comparatively speaking) I feel anxious to get back to NoS. Speaking of which today was Zoe's bday & I definitely felt like I ate too much. We're suppose to go to Mother's Day brunch tomorrow but all I want to do is eat a bowl of oatmeal and spend an hour at the gym. Who is this person?

Break: waffle w pb, iced tea latte
Lunch: chicken Caesar salad, 3 fries, skinny mocha
Snack: couple handfuls nuts, 2 bites chicken salad
Dinner: cioppino , garlic bread, wine
Dessert: ice cream cake

Exercise: rode bike around neighborhood

Kittson

Post by Kittson » Sun May 10, 2015 11:48 am

Congrats on the weight loss Linda! No S is really so amazing. It seems to simple to work, but it's just plain old normal eating that fits into our lives so beautifully!

I hope the time at the waterpark went well. Happy Mother's Day, enjoy your oatmeal! :wink: I am feeling the same, after having a fun meal yesterday, I'm looking forward to my routine.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon May 11, 2015 5:11 am

Thank you kittson! The water park was great. Easiest bday party ever-phew! We made it through the bday craziness!

Today was really nice. I can't believe how thoughtful my kids have become. They made me sweet cards & painted me pictures and basically wouldn't let me lift a finger all day. Dh had to work all day but he came home, went grocery shopping and made me dinner with the girls.

I swear it was just last year that I was crying over the fact that my family barely acknowledged my birthday even though I went all out for theirs. I'm pretty sure one Mother's Day I even had to make everyone breakfast with two toddlers hanging on me.

I feel like my girls are really growing up and finally my hard work is paying off a bit. Also I think I'm showing myself more respect these days which usually inspires others to do the same. Either way yay for progress!

Break: smoothie
Snack: lollipop
Lunch: yogurt w nuts, chips & salsa, chicken salad
Dinner: grilled tuna w yogurt sauce, rice, grilled veggies, 1/2 glass wine
Dessert: 3 almond vegan cookies, tea

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Mon May 11, 2015 6:00 am

Aww Linda, what sweet kids! They obviously take after their mom.

I think I was 16 or 17 before I started to realise everything my mother did for us and treated her the way she deserved. And in fact, since I've had my own child I've appreciated her on another level again. Mothering and being mothered seems to constantly evolve for me. There you go, that's my Mothers Day deepity :)

Glad you have run the May birthday gauntlet with such success!

nbh76

Post by nbh76 » Mon May 11, 2015 12:37 pm

My goodness you have been busy! I love everything you wriite...so glad to hear your husband is doing so well...and that the birthdays were all great ! I can not believe your daughter and her 40 minute presentation...I had to do one in eighth grade on Mozart...I reasearched him so thouroughly and had plenty of info...the big day came and I froze. My teacher, Mrs. Jones, said you can do this or take a lower grade...I loudly announced lower grade and sat down. My motherinlaw used to send me clothes from Nordstroms also and she is a tall, thin, sweedish woman. The clothes were always too small and looked liked they came from the set of Dynasty...I live in jeans, tshirts, flannels y'know what I mean ?! I love that through all these events you are staying on top of things! I am grabbing the reins of my silly life and pulling them in TODAY...I am relieved to be doing this and your thread has encouraged me that I can !

Side note...did Ironchef call you a sausage at some point?! ðŸ˜

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon May 11, 2015 2:24 pm

Linda, just caught up with your thread. Three things:

1. I hope you are massively proud of yourself! I cannot believe what you have achieved and how well it is going! I'm in complete awe.

2. I'd like to smack your family (mother and sister) a little bit over the head sometimes. Like every time they make sabotaging comments. Bless them but their contribution is not helpful. So be proud of yourself for being a much better person than I am and for being unstoppable in the face of it.

3. I love how you find things that suit you and I can feel your motivation jumping off the computer screen when you write about your old jeans etc.

All in all: WAY TO GO!!!!!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue May 12, 2015 6:08 am

Thank you iron, so true about motherhood. I did a lot of forgiving towards my mom after I had kids and realized just how hard this is especially considering she was a single mom.

Nbh: So funny about your presentation although mortifying at the time I'm sure. I see you relate to my gift woes. My mil really does have good taste but the boxy shirt she got me does nothing for my short frame although would look great on her. Luckily they are legitimately too big so I have a reason to return them & I'll probably come back with something for my beach trip this summer. Oh and yes, iron has the best lingo doesn't she. Must be an Aussie thing.

Eschano: I was just wondering when you'd be back from your honeymoon! So glad to see you and thanks for the well wishes. I know my family is really messed up about this weight/body stuff. The stories I could tell you! I usually just avoid my sister and my mom is a generally awesome person so I tend to overlook her few flaws.

Today was fine. I miraculously didn't gain any weight over the weekend. I'm kind of blown away that I'm still losing weight. I feel like I eat a good amount and I'm wondering if it has something to do with eating less fat and lower glycemic foods rather than calories although I'm sure that's lower too. I don't know maybe my body is just used to eating less now so it doesn't seem as hard as it did in the beginning but somehow it just doesn't add up. Not that I'm complaining mind you!

Break: yogurt parfait, skinny mocha
Lunch: bowl of soup, square of teriyaki tofu, handful lf chips, iced tea latte (brewed tea in almond milk, 1/2 banana, ice & a little agave in blender).
Dinner: stuffed pepper w barley, salad, iced tea latte

Exercise: none dhs back still hurts. We're experiencing a little set back but we both know we'll get back on track.

Tomorrow my youngest daughter is taking the test for the gifted program. I'm nervous!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed May 13, 2015 5:40 am

Was a good day. Everyone got along nicely and I'm just enjoying it while it lasts. I'm definitely feeling more self confident in my everyday interactions now that I've lost some weight and that's a good feeling.

I'm both looking forward to and dreading this summer. I don't know why I keep agreeing to stuff I don't really want to do. Our friends asked if they could use our house for their daughters graduation and we said yes but today I found out they're expecting at least 60 ppl. Holy moly! I'm really trying to not get too involved and let them do all the planning but it's hard. I've already offered to make coleslaw & beans and Dh is doing the bbq.

Also my sister asked if she could send her 2 girls here for a weekend and I said yes. The problem is they barely know me and I'm worried it'll be awkward but my mom offered to come so hopefully it'll be okay. Other than that it should be a fun summer! We're going to San Diego for 5 days and my kids are going to sleepover camp for two weeks. It'll be nice to have a break but I know I'm going to miss them! Oh well, great experience for them I know.

Break: coconut yogurt w cereal, fruit & nuts, skinny mocha
Lunch: stuffed pepper, 1/2 vegan muffin, 1/2 yogurt, skinny iced latte
Dinner: turkey cutlets, broccoli rabe w garlic, piece of bread, 2 glasses wine

Red moments: went over my 3 drink/day limit; too many tastes during cooking; 1 almond

Exercise: walked dogs (better than nothing)

Oh and found a great skinny mocha recipe for home (I usually go to starBUCKS):
http://www.food.com/recipe/sugar-free-a ... cha-499707

eschano

Post by eschano » Wed May 13, 2015 8:38 am

You are so kind to let your friends use your house for a big party. It will become a wonderful memory for them - their daughter's graduation party - and I am sure they'll be grateful!

As for your nieces - what a great opportunity to get to know them without your sister interfering. Kids are different when their parents are not around - usually on their best behaviour. I'm sure they'll be lovely.

Doing well!!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed May 13, 2015 6:30 pm

Hi eschano!

Yes they are very grateful but I'm still finding it stressful! My nieces are very well behaved. My mom always says their table manners are fit for a queen. I just feel awkward around them because they really don't know me well and with one being a young teen it's almost like being with another adult for three days that I don't know well. Those situations make me tense plus I feel like they'll be reporting back to my sister how we live and I'm pretty sure we will not meet her ridiculously high standards. Of course that'll make her happy because she'll get to feel superior. No I'm not bitter at all! 😊

So I hope I don't come across as too negative but sometimes I have to deal with the underlying negative/scary feelings first. That's why I try to be honest with myself on my thread because of course I'd never let my friend know I was having second thoughts or tell my sister that I was reluctant to have her kids visit.

Just wanted to clarify that I don't go around complaining to everyone all the time. This is just my vent place so it may come across like that at times.

Okay off to do laundry...

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Wed May 13, 2015 10:03 pm

Way to go Linda! I'm so impressed you didn't gain over the weekend, I never managed that :) I hope you've got yourself a 20lb reward, even if it is something little / inexpensive. I think your policy of a positive, non-food reward after each 5lb is really a great idea.

I love to read your notes on starting to feel like a different person (wanting to get to the gym, gaining confidence and self respect). To me, this is the real guts of it - all the life that happens between meals.

And yes, I did call you a poor sausage :oops: Is that not a US thing? It's the kind of thing my mother would say to me after a bad day when lots of things went wrong one after the other, but nothing super serious or critical happened.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed May 13, 2015 11:12 pm

"Sausage" was definitely one of the cute endearments Dame Edna used in her act.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu May 14, 2015 5:35 am

Thanks iron! I think the no gain weekend was a first for me! I'm definitely feeling more comfortable putting myself out there. I guess I'm just starting to feel like people see the real me instead of just seeing my fat when they first meet me. I'm just more comfortable in my skin these days and I'm sure that comes across.

I kind of skipped my 20 lb reward because of my big shopping spree but looking forward to my 25 lb one-- new bathing suit (ack) and tote bag.

I definitely took the sausage remark as a term of endearment. My mom used to call me pumpkin and I call my kids cupcake. We love our kids we love food, makes sense to me!😀

Today was good. Nothing exciting to report other than my daughter says she'll be very disappointed if she doesn't get into the gifted program. I kind of wish she never got tested. I'm just worried this will be a blow to her normally high confidence level. Ugh, I'm just not a fan of all this tracking stuff I guess.

Anywho...

Break: 1/2 yogurt, 1/2 vegan muffin, fruit, skinny mocha
Lunch: boca burger, bag of baked chips, 1/2 yogurt w fruit & nuts, skinny mocha
Dinner: grilled halibut, black eyed peas, collards, hummus w cucumbers, wine spritzer

I have so much trouble not picking at the food when I'm cooking. It's fairly harmless--bite of raw veg or something but I think at some point I'll need to get a handle on this. Anyone else have this issue? Any ideas on how to stop?

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Thu May 14, 2015 5:58 am

lpearlmom wrote:Any ideas on how to stop?
Hi Linda- I've found chewing sugar-free gum while cooking to be helpful!
-Sonya