Linda's daily check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

eschano

Post by eschano » Thu May 14, 2015 9:20 am

I never think of you as a negative person! I'm a fixer, I always want to help people "fix" their problems by showing a different perspective. I seem to have no ability of holding back there :oops: so anything I say is just to help! Never to judge.

My honest judgment of you: incredibly inspiring woman who happens to be an extremely dedicated wife and mother, a brilliant cook (yep, I tried nearly all the recipes you posted), and someone who brings a level of sensitivity to other people's feelings into my life via a messaging board.

Definitely one of the reasons this board rocks!

So a cheeky question: any new recipes you've got going since I took a hiatus?
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri May 15, 2015 5:56 am

Awww...thank you eschano! I definitely don't feel deserving of all that but I'll try to be gracious. 😊 I get the wanting to fix everything. I do that with my kids. I'm thinking you have some strong mommy instincts in you.

Eschano: I've posted a few recipes. My cooking has really changed since dhs heart troubles. My 3 new favorite cookbooks are:
1) skinnytaste
http://www.amazon.com/Skinnytaste-Cookb ... e+cookbook
2) thug kitchen (vegan--terrible language but great recipes!)
http://www.amazon.com/Thug-Kitchen-Offi ... n+cookbook
3) A modern way to eat (vegetarian (UK author)
http://www.amazon.com/Modern-Way-Eat-Sa ... way+to+eat

Thanks for the suggestion Sonya! I didn't have any gum on me today so instead I kept a tiny bowl near me while I was cooking and every time I was about to have a "taste" of something I put in the bowl instead. When dinner was finally ready, I put the bowl on my plate w the rest of the food. I realized as long as I can have what I want at some point later, I'm good. Oh and sipping wine while cooking helped too but I always do that already anyway!

Break: 1/2 yogurt, 1/2 vegan muffin, berries, skinny almond mocha
Lunch: 1/2 sweet potato, beans, hummus, slice bread, Apple, skinny mocha
Dinner: chickpea stew (so good!), grilled chicken, asparagus, wine spritzer

Chickpea stew: http://www.wanderaven.com/blog/2015/3/2 ... way-to-eat

Exercise: walked dogs, Dh is feeling better--can't wait to get back to the gym next week!

Nervous (as usual) about tomorrow's weigh in!
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

eschano

Post by eschano » Fri May 15, 2015 8:20 am

Thanks Linda! I've ordered Thug Kitchen and Skinny Taste straight away :)

Haha, maybe I do have some mummy instincts :D. If you know how I can turn it off though, suggestions are very welcome as my friends would be no doubt delighted!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Sat May 16, 2015 12:55 am

Your recipes look very interesting! So I notice you're doing more vegan recipes? How do you like them? I'm interested in vegan cooking, because dairy gives me problems, and I think I'm a little sensitive to eggs. It looks like you're doing great!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat May 16, 2015 3:04 am

Awesome eschano--let me know what you think of the cookbooks!
eschano wrote:If you know how I can turn it off though, suggestions are very welcome as my friends would be no doubt delighted!
Lol you crack me up! It's clear how much you care about people and I think that's pretty awesome. 😀

Hi Ms Heather! Yep I'm kind of fascinated with vegan cooking. I just think it's so interesting, creative & healthy. I think I could happily eat this way most of the time but Dh has to do low carb and that's hard to do with just vegan food so I try to keep it to breakfast & lunch or I'll add some lean meat on the side for him. I make a lot of vegan treats as well as pancakes/waffles for my girls and they really enjoy it. I'm really liking the thug kitchen but every other word is the F word so for adults eyes only!

Today I made the 45 min trek to Nordstrom and returned the clothes from my mil. I felt a little guilty when I realized how much she spent on me. She really is so generous. Anyway I braved the dreaded bathing suit shopping and it didn't go half bad. I told the sales lady I wore a size 16 but she kept bringing me a 14. I finally got the hint and tried it them on. They did fit so I guess I just don't know my size yet. I actually found a really cute bathing suit & cover up--yay!

I also treated myself to lunch in the cafe and I realized how nice it is to just enjoy ones company sometimes. No small talk or awkward silences. I guess I'm just thinking back in the last few times I've had lunch w a newly made friend of mine. It just feels so forced sometimes. I don't know why I find female friendships so difficult. *sigh*

Anywho...

-24.4 lbs woot!
On the one hand I can't believe I'm almost halfway to my goal. On the other hand, I can't believe I still have 25 more lbs to go! Seeing myself in the dressing room wasn't too bad but I definitely have a ways to go till I can feel really good about myself. Still I realize at some point it's just going to need to be good enough and it'll be time to get on with the rest of my life. Hopefully I'll be able to recognize when I'm there.

Break: 3 ww vegan pancakes w lf pb, skinny mocha
Lunch: cilantro, lime chicken salad, skinny mocha
Dinner: 2 pieces of chicken, beans, 2 corn tortillas

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Sun May 17, 2015 12:34 am

Wow Linda! Half way already! And a cute new size 14 bathing suit. I'm so thrilled for you :)

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sun May 17, 2015 5:37 am

Thanks iron! Decided to go ahead and get my -25 lb reward since the opportunity presented itself.

Feel like I ate a lot today but I know I need these S days for long term success. I just can't lose steam before reaching my goal. I feel as determined as ever and just hope I continue to feel this way.

Break: bagel (hollowed out) w lil cream cheese & tomato, skinny mocha
Lunch: 1/2 sweet potato, garbanzo stew, corn, yogurt parfait
Snack: 3 pieces sees candy (so good), lollipop, iced skinny mocha
Dinner: chopped salmon salad w nf dressing, 2 pieces bread, small bowl soup
Dessert: 1 lollipop, glass of apple juice

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Sun May 17, 2015 11:47 am

Hey Linda! ! Congrats on the 25# :D aaaaaand you braved the land of the swim suit wiiiiiith a saleslady!! You are my new hero. I've been wearing the same suit for 5 years and I've never liked it. . . I just haven't been brave enough to beard the dreaded swimsuit lady in here lair :twisted:
Well, that and I don't like to swim so it's really just for show anyway.

Enjoy your week. Summer's comin' along with kids' summertime bickering. . . Ahhhh . . . my favorite time of year
:wink:

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Sun May 17, 2015 3:52 pm

Hey Linda! I just wanted to stop in and say how absolutely amazing you are doing. I envy the meals you make - these days I just cannot fathom that much work in the kitchen (even though I used to cook from scratch all the time). I guess a toddler really makes life that much more tiring that I can't even contemplate it LOL Anyways, although your meals look substantial and super delicious, I feel like I would still be so hungry for a snack - do you feel that way between meals or just get used to it, or...? I am trying to figure out if other people just white knuckle through it, or don't feel it that badly? Thanks for any advice!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon May 18, 2015 2:54 am

Thank you ginger--although I'm not quite there yet. The sales lady was super nice and luckily a little curvy. It's more the mirrors I dread but thankfully I think Nordstrom goes to a lot of trouble to make sure the lighting is good. There's not much else to do in the summer here other than swimming and waterparks so a good swimsuit is a must!

Thank you Sinnie! I do remember you posting a lot of complicated meals you cooked from scratch so I imagine it's frustrating to have to scale back a bit. I never found much comfort in people telling me things would get easier once the kids got older, I just wanted a clean house & home cooked meals now! I guess if I could do it all over I'd have several good but simple meals I made over & over.

Anyway the hunger between meals was intense at first but I just told myself it'd be worth it. I do get hungry for my meals now but definitely no more desperate, white-knuckling kind of hunger and that's even with going to the smaller size plates. In fact I suffer so little now that I'm truly surprised each week when I see I'm still losing weight. I'm sure I'll have hard moments again but I know I can tough them out. My drinks help me A LOT! I have a very large skinny mocha every morning and sip it slowly. It lasts me a couple hrs. sometimes. An iced sugar free drink gets me through the afternoon & wine through cooking dinner, plain tea at night if needed. Hope that helps some!

Well I should know better than to weigh myself on a Sunday but that is exactly what I did. I'm up 2.5 lbs and it's a little disappointing. I'm sure it'll be fine but I guess I'm just worried that I'm going to suddenly stop losing weight but really deep down, I know I won't let that happen. I have my eye on that goal & I can't let anything derail me, right?

Luckily I didn't let this derail me today. It was a very reasonable S day and I'm sure I'll make my goal next week. Actually my plan all along has been to change my goal from 1 lb/wk to .5 lb/wk once I hit my halfway mark. I think keeping things realistic will make it easier for me to keep moving forward.

My eyebrow lady totally noticed I lost weight today so that was a nice boost. I think it's interesting I get along best with the women in my life whom I pay (hairdresser, saleswomen etc). Either it means I do better with keeping people as acquaintances or I just like to know exactly where I stand with people (youre kissing my butt because I'm paying you and I'm strangely okay with that).

Any who...
Break: cereal w almond milk, skinny mocha
Snack: lollipop
Lunch: avocado & hummus sandwich
Snack: lollipop , skinny latte
Dinner: skinny chicken Parmesan, broccoli w tahini sauce & pine nuts, piece bread, wine spritzer
Dessert: lollipop

Back to the gym next week!

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon May 18, 2015 9:22 am

lpearlmom wrote: (youre kissing my butt because I'm paying you and I'm strangely okay with that).
Oh my god, I have to recover from my laughing fits Linda! I'm ok with that too!

All in all, amazing! You're doing so well, it's an inspiration to read this. And yeah, I don't weigh on Sundays or Mondays but I'm impressed it didn't affect your eating!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue May 19, 2015 5:12 am

:D eschano: definitely pays to be honest on here. You guys get me. And thanks for saying I'm doing well but feeling a little frustrated today.

I had such a sane day yesterday that I definitely thought it was safe to weigh myself but I'm still at -22 lbs and not sure what the deal is. I know I just have to take it in stride but it's annoying. I almost feel like I jinxed myself by buying my -25 lb reward early. Oh well just got to push through this.

Break: yogurt, fruit, cereal, skinny mocha
Lunch: chicken parm, beans, broccoli, iced skinny tea latte
Dinner: bowl of vegetarian chili, grapes 1.5 glasses wine

This party on Friday just keeps getting bigger. We are up to possibly 100 ppl. Holy moly!

eschano

Post by eschano » Tue May 19, 2015 8:54 am

I completely get it. I weighted myself today and got annoyed (+1kg from the wedding but I guess that's honeymoon weight) so... wait for it ... I got a chai and a muffin from Starbucks! What's the logic in that? No idea.

But hey, we both know it's not about the scales and sometimes the body hangs on to weight for a week longer or still is lower. And you know what? At -22 you deserve a treat! :D
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Tue May 19, 2015 10:47 am

Wow Linda! That's like a small wedding at your house! I bet your place is just beautiful :)

I hear you totally on the frustration of the scale. While I always think it's a good idea to be accountable to the darn thing, it certainly gets my blood boiling sometimes. And like eschano, I often take the Starbucks drink-and-muffin route ;) hehe But seriously, she is so right about the body just needing to readjust itself some weeks. I feel so much better after one day on No S but when I see the scale reading still my "bad weight" I get annoyed. Just want you to know you are not alone.

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Tue May 19, 2015 10:16 pm

Hang in there Linda - you know you're on the right track, and that lazy ass scale will catch up soon.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Tue May 19, 2015 11:20 pm

Congrats, Linda! You sound like you have laser-like intensity these days! Just the inspiration I needed when I came back on the boards today!
:)
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/18-25.6; 8/18-24.5; 10/18-23.8;
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
6/20-22.5; 7/20-23.0; 9/20-23.6
4/21 - 25.2

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed May 20, 2015 5:46 am

Thank you guys so much for the empathy & encouragement! Not that I want you to suffer too but it is nice to know others can relate to my frustration!

Sinnie: I know it is really mind-boggling that the party is so huge! I'm just trying to go with it & not stress since I'm not really in charge of it all. I just hope they don't destroy our house. Dh bought a bunch of lawn chairs today and 2 that turn into cots in case people "pass out". Oh boy not sure what to expect after that.

Auto: so great to see you here r! Can you believe I'm finally losing weight? Still a ways to go but I'm hopeful I'll eventually get to my goal.

I know I should stop weighing myself but today I was at -23.6 so that's good. I just really wanted to be at -25 lbs by the end of the month for our big San Diego trip. Oh well there's still time.

Break: coconut yogurt w fruit, coffee w coconut creamer
Lunch: small bowl of veg chili, nectarine, iced skinny mocha
Dinner: bbq chicken breast w broccoli slaw in low carb wrap, beans, nectarine, glass of wine

With the party this week, we've just not been making time for the gym. Next week we have friends coming to visit & then our trip. Darn it, going to have to figure out how to fit some gym time in.

nbh76

Post by nbh76 » Wed May 20, 2015 4:50 pm

Miss Linda...everytime I'm away for awhile I go to your thread...you are doing so great!!!! You are one of my inspirations on this site and I thank you! ( I am buckling down, diggin in and spending a little time getting inspired today... ) hHave a great day Miss! 😄
Kindness is the only way.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu May 21, 2015 6:04 am

Thank you nbh! Great to see you here & so happy you're still getting you're beautiful house w view even how awesome is that!

Last day of school for my kids tomorrow. I cannot believe they'll be in 5th & 7th grade next year. Craziness!

Break: 1/2 yogurt, 1/2 vegan muffin, fruit, skinny mocha
Lunch: 1/2 yogurt, 1/2 muffin, boca burger, couple chips w salsa, skinny iced mocha
Dinner: chicken wrap, beans, fruit

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Thu May 21, 2015 9:55 pm

Linda, You're doing great! Good job on the weight loss! I hear you on the challenges of female friendships. that's great that you're halfway to your goal! I think, once things settle down for me, I would like to experiment with vegan cooking.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri May 22, 2015 6:22 am

Thank you Heather! Definitely fun to explore vegan cooking but it'll probably never be a full time thing for me.

Last day of school & my kids are already driving me crazy. My youngest is just being very whiny/clingy/needy and all my oldest can think about is boys. Plus they're just not getting along well but I'm sure it'll pass in a few days. It usually does.

I can't believe how completely unstressed I'm feeling about the party tomorrow. I guess because technically it's not my party. 100 people is definitely a lot though. Hopefully we have enough food!

Going to make tomorrow after 5 pm an S event. I hope I don't overdo it though! Tomorrows weigh-in. Wish me luck!

Break: yogurt w cereal, fruit, skinny mocha
Lunch: side salad, cup of soup, coffee
Dinner: chipotle salad w chicken ( no rice, cheese or dressing), 2 glasses wine

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Fri May 22, 2015 12:48 pm

Best wishes for the party and the weigh in! Will be thinking of you.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat May 23, 2015 8:40 am

Thx iron! Party went well. Ended up just taking an S day as things were too chaotic to eat normally. My weigh in was good -25.2 but after all the eating I did today....

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Sat May 23, 2015 11:25 am

Yay, Linda, congratulations on reaching your half way goal! That's something to be proud of. I'm impressed that you were able to do it while keeping your drinks, like the skinny mocha and wine. It's so important to have those things that make each of us feel we are not being "deprived".
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sun May 24, 2015 4:38 am

Thanks Sonya! Yes my days wouldn't be complete without my skinny mocha!

I guess I earned my bathing suit after all. The next couple of weeks will be tricky. We have friends coming for a couple of days on Monday & then after that we'll be in San Diego for several days. I'm going to stick with NoS though. Definitely no vacation mode for me. I've come too far and have too far to go still to throw it all away now.

A snacky, grazing kind of day...

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun May 24, 2015 11:42 pm

Vacation doesn't have to mean a lot of overeating. You can feast on the sights and sounds instead! And it ends up feeling better to keep the extras to the really special.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon May 25, 2015 6:49 am

Totally agree oolala!

Entirely too much cooking today which entailed a lot of cleaning (Ran my dishwasher three times!) and now I feel utterly exhausted. My kids wanted to cook dinner though and they did a great job but of course I did most of the cleaning afterwards.

I feel like I ate way too much today although I at least kept it mostly to meals. These last few days have consisted of a lot of heavy food and I'm certain my weight will be up a couple of pounds but I mustn't panic as things tend to work themselves out by Friday.

Our friends are coming in the morning and I have mixed feelings about it. I'm really excited to see them but the timing isn't great with our trip right around the corner and needing to deal with some paperwork. Oh well it'll be fun. I just need to figure out how to keep the cooking to a minimal so I'm not in the kitchen the entire time. 😬

Break: yogurt w fruit & nuts, skinny mocha
Lunch: low fat bbq salad, fruit
Snack: small bowl of chips & dip, skinny mocha
Dinner: oven fried chicken (2 pieces ) , salad, glass sangria
Dessert: 3 cookies, milk

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Mon May 25, 2015 4:38 pm

So awesome that your girls WANT to cook! Yay! What an impressive role model you are for them about enjoying food preparation.

I am not kidding--last night we cracked open the Costco Food Can (for societal collapse) and ate a bag of that for dinner. Not bad, actually. :shock:

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon May 25, 2015 4:54 pm

Maybe makes you wish for Armageddon?
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue May 26, 2015 5:56 am

Thank you auto! They're planning on doing this once a week and Zoe's making recipes out of her $5/day college cookbook so she'll be able to cook healthy meals for herself when she goes away to college. So funny about the Costco food can. I didn't even realize they made such a thing. 😀

Our friends came and its been super awesome but I'm still not sure how I'm going to get everything ready for our trip coming up! Also Dh has been acting weird these last few days. Just super serious and kind of angry. He's usually so light hearted and humorous. He swears nothing is wrong but I'm wondering if his meds are causing some depression. Hopefully it'll pass.

Break: yogurt, fruit, nuts, coffee
Lunch: open faced boca burger w/ avocado & tomatoes, skinny mocha
Dinner: sushi, a beer

eschano

Post by eschano » Tue May 26, 2015 12:57 pm

I think it's wonderful your girls will cook once a week! Yay for you. Maybe they'll be able to include the cleaning as well though - this way it leaves you with a free evening. :)

I hope your husband is ok. It sounds so stressful with the meds. I bet a holiday will be good.

Have a wonderful trip!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed May 27, 2015 5:33 am

Yeah that'd def be nice eschano! Dh seems back to his old self but yeah I guess depression is one of the possible side effects of some of his meds so just keeping an eye out for the signs.

Had a fun day with our guests. I made pancakes for everyone this morning then we went for a swim and afterwards we took their little boy for his first haircut which was too adorable. Tonight I made us all dinner and then we watched Jurassic park (1&2). My girls love playing with their little boy and we all get along so nicely so that's been pretty great. I'll be happy to have my house back though. I don't miss having baby stuff scattered everywhere!

I'm also feeling a bit discouraged today. They were gushing over dhs weight loss but didn't say a word to me so I had to tell them I've lost 25 lbs. They seemed surprised which pretty much sucks. Also, I saw myself in the background of an Instagram photo she took and I feel like I still look so big.

I think part of the problem is that I'm still wearing a lot of my old clothes which are baggy on me and make me look bigger than I am. Maybe it's time to get rid of a few things. Also, I noticed that people that have only known me at my heaviest, are the ones who have made the most comments. The people that have known me at different weights don't seem to notice as much. And I guess since DH is close to his goal weight, he actually looks skinny whereas I'm still a good distance from skinny.

I need to not let this get me down though. Actually it's kind of pissing me off and making me want to get to a place where people can't help but to notice. Clearly, I care too much about what others think. Oh well !

Break: 2 skinny pancakes, fruit, homemade skinny mocha (only like 100 cals)
Lunch: avocado & veg sandwich, skinny ice blended
Dinner: enchilada soup, handful chips w homemade salsa, 2 glasses wine

Went over my drink limit and pretty much given up on exercise till we get back from San Diego! I was badly craving sweets tonight but it didn't have much power over me in the end.

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Wed May 27, 2015 7:33 am

lpearlmom wrote:I noticed that people that have only known me at my heaviest, are the ones who have made the most comments. The people that have known me at different weights don't seem to notice as much.
Hi Linda- I think that is it right here... these people have a very elastic idea in mind of how much you "normally" weight. I've noticed the same thing with my perception of people whom I met when they were at a high weigh for them. They've lost a bit of weight and every time I see them now, be it weekly or monthly, even after years have past, every single time, I think "Wow, so and so really lost a lot of weight." I don't have that reaction at all with people whom I have known starting at a lower weight who have gained and lost over the years. I'm guessing your husband is the thinnest they've ever seen him. It's really funny how the brain works.
Really, just stay the course, you're doing great!
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

eschano

Post by eschano » Wed May 27, 2015 9:37 am

Ha Sonya, I have the same reactions! And Linda, I get the same thing too: my friends who know me from my heaviest keep saying how good I look. My friends who know me from before I got heavy don't say a thing but in their minds I was always skinnier than in reality.

I do think though that buying new clothes is a good thing. It will make you feel better no matter what :)
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Wed May 27, 2015 11:15 pm

Linda, I'm sorry that you didn't get the reaction from your friends you were hoping for.

A little bit of long winded advice here, feel free to ignore if it doesn't make sense for you. As I've lost weight (both on No S and previous with calorie counting), people's reactions have included plenty of people who don't notice, and some people who notice and say nice things. I've also had people say less nice things, especially as I got closer to my goal, and was accused of being unhealthy, and had some pretty negative terms used about me being too thin. Some people are so used to me being a bit plumper, they find me at normal No S weight range (BMI 20-21 pre-pregnancy) too weird. This abated as I spent longer and longer maintaining (obviously is moot now I'm pregnant). So, that's a long story to say - people are likely to never have the reactions you are hoping for, even when you get to goal. You may have people who never say a positive word, or worse, say a negative word. I know it is disappointing, but from my own experience I would suggest getting started now on not hoping for specific reactions from people and not hanging too much of your motivation on how positive others are. You know yourself that you are doing great and you know why you're doing this, and you know how happy you are with your fabulous results.

Oh, and definitely wear clothes that fit - you deserve it.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Thu May 28, 2015 12:38 am

I vote for the buying new clothes! :)

And I agree with ironchef and others for sure. People are never going to all have the reaction we want/need/deserve. You're doing this for you, anyway, and I know you know that.

BTW, I'm sure I'm eons behind in your story, but I would like to know what has really worked for you to finally see the scale moving downward? It sounds like maybe you and your husband are on the same page now--food-wise...is that what has made the difference?

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu May 28, 2015 5:33 am

Thanks so much all for the empathy & great advice.

Eschano & Sonya helps so much to know I'm not alone in this experience.

Iron: thank you, I think this is exactly what I needed to hear. I think I'm going to go back to operating how I used to which is my body is nobody else's business. Putting body & diet talk on the back burner for now and just letting people relate to the other more interesting aspects to me. *phew* what a relief it is to make that decision! Thank you, thank you!!

Auto: definitely a big part of it was dhs heart attack and us working as a team together. Something just clicked for me & the more results I got the more motivated I got. Also, I used to think the low-carb thing was just another fad but I think it's really helped me lose weight more easily. We actually don't do low-carb so much as carbs with a low-glycemic index so it's not as hard as you might think.

Lastly getting my drinks under control (thank you eschano!) was another important key for me. I only do sugar free mochas/lattes and if I drink alcohol it's wine--no sugary cocktails on N days and a 3 drink of anything daily limit.

Strangely I'm still losing weight even though we haven't been exercising the last few weeks but I'm worried I might be losing muscle? I suppose it may slow down once I start the work outs again. Who knows? I have a lot more weight to lose than you though, auto, so of course going to come off more quickly. I know the last 10-15 will be toughest! Sorry for long answer but I'm sure you know I tend to be verbose by now!

Today was good but I was definitely ready for our friends to leave. They are awesome, fun, super easy-going but I never feel completely relaxed when we have company. Plus, I wanted my clean house back! They left this evening though and I'm really glad they came. They're like extended family to us so it's important for our girls that we see them regularly.

I really need to get back to the gym. Things are feeling mushy and my skin doesn't have that nice healthy glow anymore. Hopefully we'll ride bikes in San Diego and when we return we'll get back into the swing of things.

Break: green smoothie, skinny iced mocha
Lunch: summer fruit salad w poppy seed dressing, iced skinny mocha
Dinner: small plate of Chinese, cup of soup, egg roll, glass wine

Tomorrow I need to get everything ready for our trip & house sitters--ack!!!

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Thu May 28, 2015 8:11 am

Linda, Do you make or buy your skinny mochas? I will confess I had a Starbucks S'mores frappucino today. It was pretty good (but not great), and it's too many calories, and too much sugar. I think I'll save the frappucinos for maybe a once a month treat. Also, I hear you about missing exercise! When I go too long without it, I feel the same way.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Thu May 28, 2015 7:39 pm

Cool beans, Linda, lots of great stuff you shared.

I immediately have decided I'm switching to red wine spritzers for the summer, lol! I was thinking I could use Diet Sprite to make it--do you have any other thoughts?

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Thu May 28, 2015 11:09 pm

Go Linda! You sound so positive, what a lovely visit :)
Travel safe and enjoy SD!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri May 29, 2015 4:03 am

Yay auto! I usually just use club soda and lemon or lime slices but I bet diet sprite would give it a little extra flavor. Going to try that too. There's lots of recipes that call for fresh fruit thrown in there so that could be fun too. I may try pomegranate seeds and fresh mint in a white spritzer. I love red wine but often use red Zin for a complete retro drink. Pioneer woman says the key to a good spritzer is for everything to be super cold so you may want to throw everything in the freezer for a bit first. Okay geesh, I can even write entire paragraphs on wine spritzers.

(Ack iPad at 2% so posting rest in a bit ☺ï¸)

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Fri May 29, 2015 5:01 am

lpearlmom wrote:I usually just use club soda and lemon or lime slices
Hi Linda- I was just wondering what ratio you use of wine and club soda! Any special tips for mixing?
-Sonya

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri May 29, 2015 6:41 am

Hi Sonya! I usually do 3/4 wine to 1/4 club soda & pour gently. Enjoy!

Hi Heather: when I'm at home I use this recipe (below) & the whole thing is only about 40 cals. When I'm out I do Starbucks skinny mocha which is about 150 cals & usually lasts me a couple of hours. Not too bad but if I get to the point where I can't lose weight, I may just stick to my homemade ones for awhile.

Sugar Free Almond Mocha
About This Recipe
"In the Summer, hot drinks drop from menus faster than a lit match from a firebug, and rich, sugary things aren't exactly bikini body fodder. But the good news is that you can still treat yourself to a rich, smooth mocha - this baby is not only great hot or iced, but tripled with 2 tbsp of almond butter added to it you can make a great popsicle, or churn it for ice cream!"

Ingredients
4 (1 g) packets stevia plus ( I like Pyure Organic)
2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 pinch sea salt

3 of 6Sugar Free Almond Mocha
Ingredients
1 cup brewed coffee
1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
2 tablespoons boiling water
2 drops liquid stevia ( use your favourite)
Directions
If serving cold: Stir together the coffee, almond milk and liquid stevia. Chill thoroughly.
If serving hot: Combine the coffee and almond milk in a microwave safe pitcher and heat about 3-4 minutes, until hot, but drinkable.
For both:
Mix the stevia, cocoa and salt in a large cup (or a jug if serving two).
Stir the boiling water into the dry mixture until completely combined, then slowly whisk in the almond milk mixture and liquid stevia.
Serve and enjoy!
Last edited by lpearlmom on Fri May 29, 2015 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri May 29, 2015 6:57 am

Today was an okay day. I'm pmsing which means I'm super irritable and super fun to be around (not!).

I also, had to tell my daughter she didn't make it into the gifted program and it just about broke my heart. She made it for verbal but missed it by a few points in the other two catagories. She was really upset but I explained to her that all her good grades she gets is more important than a silly test. The grades proves she has what it takes to be successful in life. Plenty of crazy smart people who do nothing with their life and vice versa. Bottom line, parenting was tough today.

Anywho...

Break: couple bites of scrambled eggs, 2 vegan carrot cake "cookies", skinny mocha
Lunch: bowl of enchilada soup, iced skinny mocha
Dinner: seared scallops, fried rice, curry veggies, 2 vegan "cookies", 1 wine spritzer

Worried (as usual) about tomorrow's weigh-in. I'm pmsing which is usually good for a couple lbs and, also, we've been eating out a lot this week. *fingers crossed*

nbh76

Post by nbh76 » Fri May 29, 2015 1:57 pm

Bahhhh telling your daughter that made ME sad ! It is so hard sometimes. I just stopped by to say I got a scale that works and that thing is pretty awesome! Have a great weekend!

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Fri May 29, 2015 2:13 pm

lpearlmom wrote:I'm pmsing which is usually good for a couple lbs
Hi Linda, Thanks for the spritzer tips!
Just keep in mind that during PMS all bets are off, and the scales is just giving you a number that reflects precisely nothing, excepts how our female bodies like to hold on to water weight sometimes!
PS Seared scallops, fried rice, & curry veggies sound soooo good!
-Sonya

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat May 30, 2015 7:12 am

Nbh: great to see you here & glad you got a working scale this time!

Sonya: thanks for reminder about pms. My weight was exactly the same as last week which means it's the first week in awhile I haven't lost but I'm just going to chalk it up to pms.

Definitely need to get back to the gym as my back is hurting again too. Let's face it exercise makes everything a bit better.

Too tired to write anything else. Have to wake up for road trip tomorrow in 5 hours--yikes! Will catch up on everyone's thread later.

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Sat May 30, 2015 11:21 am

Hi Linda, I'm glad everything continues to go well for you 8) I love reading your thread. Have you Considered developing a "plan B" exercise routine for days when your regular one gets disrupted? I've found that to be very helpful. Usually, I know in the morning if my time is going to be disrupted so I can schedule my backup plan into the day. You know how it is . . . It really helps to have a plan.

Good luck with your week, You're doing great!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat May 30, 2015 5:48 pm

Linda, hope the lifestyle- and this is definitely living- makes up for no scale loss as long as you need it to. Eventually you're going to settle at the weight easiest for you to maintain. No S just goes on. :)
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:04 pm

Hi Linda, I was off a couple of days and am delighted to come back to your thread! It's so motivating to read through it.

I'm sorry about the gifted program. I hope she's not too disappointed. Thankfully, you are right and it doesn't make her less gifted.

Best of thoughts for your daughter from the UK!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

Lovedby2

Lovedby2

Post by Lovedby2 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:20 pm

Hey Girl!! Yes, I have been out a while...but it was really good to read your thread and to see that recipe for the skinny mocha!! OMG, I love ice coffee, but I have to do dairy free. Question - the Stevia you use is good, not bitter? I have tried a couple of Stevias and couldn't stand them. They tasted bitter to me. Anyway, I would love to get off of Splenda. Thanks for the recipe!! :D
Always learning.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:12 am

Oolala: you're right. I really need to appreciate the all the other benefits I've gained from following NoS. namely sanity with food & absence of 24/7 obsessiveness. I find the idea that my body will settle at a place I can happily maintain w moderate habits v comforting.

Thank you eschano! Both her math & language arts recommended her for the testing otherwise I wouldn't have agreed to it. She's a straight A student, scores 95% or higher on state testing and actively participates in school discussions. She'll go far in life I know despite this small disappointment. Just part of life.

Hi loved! I agree stevia did taste a little bitter at first. The liquid stuff seemed less so though and I think it's one of those acquired tastes like vodka or whiskey. Now I think it tastes just fine. Amazing what one can get used to in a short amount of time.

Anyway still on our vacation and having an amazing time. Done so much in the last few days. Today we ride bikes, went sailing & hung out at the beach. Unfortunately neither Monday or today were green days. I tried hard but it's been difficult as I'm definitely in vacation mode. I haven't gone crazy either and hoping weigh in this week won't be too terrible.

Break: sugar free yogurt, sugar free vanilla latte
Lunch: chicken wrap, almond iced mocha
Dinner: oysters, poke, tuna, veggies, mashed potatoes, several bites of dessert, 2 glasses wine, latte

The Internet connection is poor here so apologize for not commented on others thread. (I'm typing on my phone at the moment--desperate!)

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:21 am

Enjoy your vacation!!! :lol: miss you already. :cry:

eschano

Post by eschano » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:22 pm

Yes, have a wonderful vacation!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:39 am

Thanks eschano & ginger! I'm having a great time but ready to go home tomorrow! I miss big spaces and having my own bathroom and my dogs of course! Everything here is tiny. The cottage we rented is only 700 sq feet (but adorable), the alleys are tiny and parking anywhere is a total pain. Of course there's the beach, the perfect weather & the amazing seafood!

Today we went paddleboarding, rode bikes, built sandcastles and and made delicious fish curry. I stuck to NoS today but we're going to the movies soon & im craving popcorn & red vines. Part of me feels like it's the last day of our vacation & I should have a treat but the part that's worried about Friday's weigh in thinks I should stick to a huge diet coke!! Hmmm...

Break: cereal w fruit, skinny mocha
Lunch: 1/2 turkey sandwich, 1/2 order fries
Dinner: fish curry over noodles, 2 glasses wine
(Edit) Snack: 10 red vines, diet coke
Last edited by lpearlmom on Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:06 am

Your meals look light and it sounds like everything is going well. I'm sure it wouldn't set you back too far to enjoy a movie popcorn as a special treat!
Enjoy the rest, and safe travels home.
-Sonya

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:35 am

Linda, I'm just now catching up on your thread. Thank you for posting the Skinny Mocha recipe! Your vacation sounds lovely. Sorry about your daughter. I, too, experienced that -- I was tested for the gifted program, and I qualified in verbal, but not in math. I ended up doing great for the rest of my schooling (I have a Master's degree in teaching), and I'm sure she will, too. :D

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:46 am

Thanks Sonya! I decided to have a few red vines with my diet coke and feel pretty okay with that decision. Movie theaters are a huge trigger for me. I am very attached to snacking while enjoying a movie!

Thank you for sharing your experience Heather! Made me feel a lot better somehow. I guess it's pretty common for verbally gifted students to stand out in school and therefore be recommended for the gifted program. I'm glad we told her before vacation. She had so much fun that she seems to have completely forgotten about it.

We are home now and I'm so pleased our vacation went so well. The sleepover at the zoo was amazing and we all agreed that the caravan safari the next day was the highlight of our trip. We had the whole caravan to ourselves (can be up to 15 ppl) and got to feed a rhinoceros. Really an amazing experience which has inspired my daughter to want to work there someday (she's a huge animal lover).

Today was a little tough. Dh really hurt my feelings today. It's a long story but let's just say he's not exactly generous with the compliments. Marriage can be so tough sometimes but I guess I married more for adventure than romance. It's okay though.

Once I pulled myself together the day went fine. Especially considering we had a 5 1/2 hr drive. It's always overwhelming coming home from a trip and being hit with reality but everything I was most worried about is fine namely the scale (same as last week) and our bank account (miracously intact!).

I'm so happy to have open space again! The first thing I did was sit outside by our pool and have a glass of wine while watching the sunset. I'm determined to take time each day to enjoy our nice outdoor spaces instead of just going going going all the time.

Anywho...

Brunch: egg whites, chicken sausage, black beans, mocha
On the drive: skinny mocha
Dinner: salad w lf dressing, c soup, wine spritzer

eschano

Post by eschano » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:11 am

Sorry you were hurt and I'm glad you still managed to enjoy the rest of your holiday. How inspiring for you girls!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

nbh76

Post by nbh76 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:55 pm

Your holiday sounded fantastic ! Your DH... Blehhhhhhh they are just not that great sometimes...am I right ?! If they could only be more like us... ðŸ˜

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:54 am

Thanks eschano & nbh! Yes men or specifically stereotypical men can be difficult at times. He's generally a good guy but can be very stubborn & frustrating at times. He's just all male. Tough on the outside & yeah there's no teddy bear underneath his big burly self. Yeah he's just tough through & through.

Anyway today was good. It stormed last night & rained quite a bit today. We Arizonians get very excited/happy on these days! I think it's how my Seattle friends feel in super sunny days. Happy!!

-28.2 lbs
I can't believe I lost 3 lbs on vacation. Yeah NoS rocks! Unbelievable I'm almost down 30 lbs. it feels fantastic! My next reward is a new workout outfit.

My clothes are getting truly baggy. I did buy some new shorts & tshirts from target before my trip. Nice to wear clothes that fit. I also joined stitch fix https://www.stitchfix.com which is like having your own personal stylist. You give them your sizes & style preferences and they send you clothes. You keep what you like & send the rest back. I get my first shipment 6/15. I'm pretty excited but a little nervous they won't fit. The largest size they have is a 14 which I'm still having trouble believing is my size. I guess we'll find out!

Break: cereal w almond milk, fruit, skinny mocha
Lunch: bowl of soup, 1/2 bagel
Dinner: large piece of noodleless zucchini lasagna, nectarine, 2 wine spritzers

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:09 am

Wow Linda! What a great result on vacation! And well done you on getting close to -30, that's huge. Not really any time for posting at the moment, but had to pop in to say YAY!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:53 am

Thank you iron! So good to see you here. Been wondering about you but am hoping all is well!

I was really hungry today so didn't stick exactly to my S day plan but don't think I overdid it too much either.

Break: cereal w almond milk, 2 nectarines, HM (homemade) skinny mocha
Lunch: small piece zucchini lasagna, handful nuts
Snack: piece of sees candy, lollipop, 5 cookie thins, nf mocha
Dinner: turkey avocado wrap, yogurt, couple of nuts
Dessert: piece of sees candy, lollipop,

Finally unpacked and getting caught up on laundry--yay!

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:27 am

That's great, Linda! :D You'll have to share about how that stitch fix works out for you. Definitely go shopping, and buy some new clothes. :D

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:18 pm

Can't wait to hear how stitchfix goes. Doing super well! Whoop whoop!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:33 am

Thanks heather & eschano--I'll let you know!

Kind of an exhausting day. Too tired to go into details but did want to post my food at least.

Break: nf Greek yogurt w honey, berries & nuts, skinny mocha
Lunch: buffalo chicken salad, nectarine, iced skinny almond latte
Dinner: clams in wine sauce over pasta, salad, wine spritzer

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:21 am

Having a rough few days. My oldest daughter is going to Art camp this week. She absolutely loves it but it's 45 mins ea way which means a total of 3 hrs/day driving. On top of that having some extra expenses pop up (pool pump) and I'm stressing about my nieces coming to visit in a couple of weeks.

They're coming alone and since I barely know them, I'm feeling nervous about it as I'm sure they are too. I'm planning lots of fun stuff to keep them busy but this means another added expense. Also, the day after they leave were driving my girls to CA for their 2 wks of overnight camp. This means I'm going to have to somehow have the girls packed and ready to go before my nieces even arrive. Oh yeah AND I'm feeling under the weather.

*sigh* okay I think that's probably enough complaing/self-pity for one day. On the positive side, I've managed to stick to NoS, my girls are being generally awesome/happy & so is DH. It'll all be fine I know. I just wish I'd think sometimes before agreeing to things.

Break: raisin bread w light cream cheese, skinny mocha
Lunch: salmon/avocado wrap, yogurt w nuts& berries, iced skinny mocha
Dinner: seared scallops, peas, spinach salad, wine spritzer

Lovedby2

Lovedby2

Post by Lovedby2 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:26 am

Congratulations on the weight loss. It is very encouraging reading your posts. I like that you post your food. It kind of gives me a guage for how much to eat. Thanks!
Always learning.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:43 am

Thank you loved! Feeling much better today about things. Little bit of a red day but not too bad--too many tastes of sauce, few stray strawberries & a couple of nuts. Hopefully I'll still make my weekly goal.

Break: overnight pb&pj oatmeal , skinny mocha
Lunch: turkey bacon sandwich, sargentino pack of nuts & cheese, iced mocha, red: (strawberries, 2 nuts)
Dinner: skinny chicken Parmesan , asparagus, ww pasta, wine spritzer

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:51 am

I'm glad you're feeling better! I have been intrigued by overnight oats, and I'll have to give them a try pretty soon.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:54 am

Thanks Heather!! I like the overnight oats. I make them with almond milk & chia seeds. They have definitely lasting power.

Both my girls had camp today so the first time I've had some alone time in a few weeks. It took a lot of driving but worth it. I feel so much calmer when my house is clean & organized. I've been trying to do follow the sidetracked home executive program ( http://www.amazon.com/Sidetracked-Home- ... ok+sisters ) but I've yet to complete all my cards for a given day. Still I am finding it helpful and will continue with it.

I'm doing this thing I do every several months where I panic about money. I really need to figure out how to get it together in this area of our lives. *sigh*

Break: turkey bacon sandwich, skinny mocha
Lunch: 1/2 chicken parm serving, ww pasta, small yogurt w nuts, peach, iced skinny mocha
Dinner: hummus w cucumbers, salad w spicy shrimp, wine spritzer

Hope weigh-in goes okay tomorrow!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:54 am

Crazy busy day but good busy. I took my youngest daughter shopping & spent way too much money which didn't really help my money anxiety but I realized I just need to get back to sticking to a budget & it'll be fine.

Dh wants to open a bbq trailer biz which sounds like a lot of work but could be interesting. We'll see but he usually has a way of making his crazy ideas come true so I wouldn't put it past him.

-28.8 lbs
Only down -.6 lbs this week. Not great but I'll take it. I really need to get back to the gym though. Hopefully next week. I'm hoping to be down 30 lbs by the time my mom comes to visit in two weeks.

Break: small bowl of nf yogurt w nuts, fruit, cereal, skinny mocha
Lunch: (virtual plate) handful nuts, 2 wedges of cheese, nectarine, yogurt parfait, iced skinny mocha
Dinner: chipotle chicken salad w guacamole--no cheese or dressing

Tomorrow Dh & I are going tubing down the river w some friends. It's so amazing that I don't have my usual worries about wearing a bathing suit in public. I have my cute new bathing suit, my cover-up and I'm totally comfortable so I can just focus on having a good time & enjoying the company.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:20 am

So exhausted from our tubing expedition but it was definitely fun. Floating down the river for 4 hrs with no kids, no cellphones & nothing but us and a cooler full of beer was pretty awesome. Definitely a lesson in living in the now.

The girls did great while we were gone. They both had sleepovers last night and swam all day so the whole family is pretty wiped out. So happy we have no plans for tomorrow. I'm thinking sleeping in, pancakes, swimming & Netflix.

Break: poached egg on lavosh w tomato
Lunch: package of beef jerky, handful of nuts, 2 beers
Dinner: sushi roll, 2 crab cakes, small salad, 2 glasses of wine
Dessert: 1 sugar-free pudding, 2 chocolate lollipops

Can't believe I didn't have coffee today!! Made up for it in alcohol though.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:39 am

I should know better than to weigh on a Sunday but yep I did and I was up 2 lbs. Even worse, I let it get to me. I guess I'm mostly annoyed because I really didn't eat that much yesterday. I know it's illogical but I'm feeling a little annoyed and discouraged.

I ate a little more than I normally would today as a result but it's okay I'll re-group tomorrow. I'm learning that this happens now & then but I've got to push forward. I'm just really wanting to get down 30 lbs by the end of the month but we'll see.

Break: watermelon (a lot of watermelon!)
Lunch: hummus & veg wrap, handful chips w guacamole
Snack: sugar-free pudding, lollipop, 2 nectarines, 12 pb pretzels, iced SM (skinny mocha)
Dinner: piece of siracha salmon, sauteed zucchini, corn, salad, wine spritzer
Dessert: 2 chocolate avocado cookies

Salmon is so good & easy!
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/ ... n-51252440

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:29 am

Good luck with your week Linda. You're doing great as usual! Don't let the 2 lbs bother you. It is probably just normal fluctuation and will be gone again next week.

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:18 am

That's still -4lbs. You're doing well!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:03 am

Eh, between beef jerky and nuts you probably ate a bit more salt than usual is all. Well done for noticing what it did to your mindset - becoming aware is the biggest battle for me.

I'm sure it will be gone without a trace shortly :)

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:50 am

Thank you ginger & iron! You're probably right. That & the beer of course bound to make me bloated. In fact DH was exactly 2 lbs up as well.

Eschano: I wish I had lost 6 lbs last week but it was just .6 not 6! Oh well thanks for the positive thoughts anyway!

Today was a roller coaster kind of day! Started off shaky. Got lost on the way to taking my dd to camp, got endless texts from our tenants about various issues and had to deal with the kind of bs I hate the most--broken pool pump, broken fountain, broken watch. Yeah a lot of broken stuff that involves spending money and making phone calls--ugh!

The day ended okay though. Got a refund I've been waiting for, had a friend come over and I think our tenants/friends got the clue that I don't want hourly updates on household stuff and that I cannot fix every single problem that crops up including mosquitoes & barking dogs.

I tried to go really light on my eating today & did pretty well. It's crazy how social situations can make me anxious & drive me to food.

Okay back to finish my post (had to put girls to bed). Anyway we had this neighborhood meeting about a well being built across our property and I had to meet lots of new ppl and try to be my most likeable self which always leaves me feeling a little off kilter afterwards. My knee-jerk response is to eat and I caught myself picking at my girls food as I was cleaning up. Luckily I caught myself in time but hate this uneasy feeling. On the other hand, these kinds of situations help us to grow so I guess I need to tolerate being out of my comfort zone at least some of the time.

Break: nf plain yogurt w fruit & nuts, skinny mocha
Lunch: Asian salad, nectarine
Dinner: salad w grilled salmon, scoop of hummus w veggies, nectarine, wine spritzer

Exercise: 20 mins on elliptical--yep that's all I managed! The road on the way to the gym was closed so I had to take this long ass detour and by the time I finally got there was almost time to pick up dd from camp.

Roller coaster day I tell ya!

eschano

Post by eschano » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:43 am

Sorry for the mistake Linda! But hey, that still beats my -0 ;)

Sounds like a tough day but you did incredibly well. I get the money worries - if you figure out how to stop worrying let me know.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:20 am

Thanks eschano--I will!

Exhausted but wanted to post my food.

Break: ww wrap w cream cheese & jam
Lunch: salad w coconut chicken, nectarine, ice coffee w creamer
Dinner: large bowl of veg chili, nectarine, 2 wine spritzers

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:29 am

Ended up taking an S day today for no other reason than I'm just feeling a little burnt out on being so diligent. I'm not sure what that'll mean for weigh-in day tomorrow but hey this is a long term solution and sometimes you just need a break.

I've been feeling weird the last couple of days. Too many awkward social situations just making me feel uneasy and nothing sends me to the frig quicker than social tension. Yesterday I ran into an acquaintance at the gym and for some reason this woman always makes me feel awkward. The first time we met I felt the need to point out what house I live in (we live in the same neighborhood and our house sort of stands out). This time I found myself telling her that Dh is a surgeon and that I went to culinary school.

In other words yeah I think of her as one of the cool girls and feel the need to build myself up in her eyes. When I came home I felt pretty lame but realized maybe this is an opportunity to brush up on my social skills. I never had trouble making friends growing up but maybe as a sahm my social skills have gotten rusty. Been reading some interesting books and it's actually a relief to know I can work towards feeling more comfortable in social situations. Maybe next time I run into this woman I won't be such a nerd.

I'm also super burnt out on driving my kids to camp 45 mins each way in thick traffic. Luckily today was the last day. Tomorrow we're sleeping in and going shopping--yay!! Speaking of shopping, I got my stitch fix package and am really pleased with everything. It all fit and looked decent on me so I'm keeping it all. I love it because it's stuff I would never think of trying on yet it really works. Sort of breaks me out of my comfort zone. Bright colors and patterns. Much more interesting than my usual go to outfits so I think I'm going to really enjoy participating.

We went out to dinner tonight and I just sort of relaxed all my usual rules. I didn't get crazy full though so I think it'll be fine.

Break: toast w cream cheese, 2 apricots, SM
Lunch: salad w chicken & avocado, nectarine, cherries, bite of pasta, iced SM
Dinner: 2 plates of PF changs, 2 glasses wine, 2 fortune cookies, bite of dessert

I worked out yesterday for the first time in awhile & it felt amazing. Going to try for 1 hr M, W,F during the summer.

eschano

Post by eschano » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:52 am

Delighted your stitchfix package worked - it sounds so cool.

Also, I'm all for working out - can't wait to get to spinning tomorrow morning.

As for the social situation you have described - I actually have not only one acquaintance but a whole friendship group that makes me feel like that! It's so awkward and I'm kind of watching myself and it's just weird. I'm not like that with anyone else in my life. I just accept it now and see the humorous side in it as I haven't found a way to stop myself doing it. It reminds me a bit of "I carried a Watermelon".
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:27 am

I don't do the best in social situations, either. It's funny, because I love being up on stage acting in plays, playing my clarinet, or singing, but I don't do that well in regular social situations. Oh well. :? Your workout plan sounds good! I'm doing something similar: Weights and core on M,W,F, and some short walks after my boys go to bed, at least a couple of nights a week. I'm glad the stitch fix worked out for you!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:45 am

Thanks for sharing eschano & Heather! Such a relief to know I'm not the only one who has these moments. I guess a lot of us smart, sensitive women are prone to these feelings to social awkwardness. We probably just overthink it all!

Today was pretty good but I'm definitely struggling a bit to stick to NoS. nothing major but just a little hump I need to push myself over. I think I'm afraid I've plateaued and won't be able to lose anymore weight. I can't let my doubts get the better of me though. I can do this!

Break: cereal w almond milk & fruit, HMSM
Lunch: panera broth bowl w edamame, Apple, Iced SM
Dinner: spaghetti squash w turkey bolognese, bowl of gazpacho, figs w nf yogurt, glass of wine

Struggles: picking at food during clean up, eating veggies as I cut them up, over tasting sauce.

Didn't make it to gym. Hopefully tomorrow !

teadrinker

Post by teadrinker » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:04 pm

I'm totally going to tell myself, next time I feel socially awkward, how smart and sensitive I am! I am really so relieved that I'm not the only one who replays awkward conversations over in my mind, then wants to head to the kitchen!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:31 pm

Yay teadrinker! I love that we help each other by sharing our common experiences. Sometimes I think that's the best thing about participating on a forum like this.

Well I gained a pound this week and am definitely feeling discouraged. I'm tempted not to take any S days this weekend but am guessing that'll just backfire on me. I am going to change my weekly goal from -1 lb to -1/2 lb as things do seem to be slowing down.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:11 am

I can't believe how discouraged I'm feeling. I ate a lot today but it's an S day so I'm just going with it. I hope I can snap out of it and get back on track next week.

-27.8 lbs

Break: vegan chorizo w egg whites & avocado, HMSM
Lunch: small yogurt, small bowl of gazpacho
Snack: poke, cherries
Dinner: Turkey burger, salad, large sangria
Other: finished a large box of dots that I snacked on throughout the day

Exercise: 30 min eliptical, lil swimming

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:21 am

Hang in there Linda! This has been a hard week with few extra S's, but you've got 18 weeks done averaging better than a pound a week - that is amazing! And even better was reading your post about feeling happy and comfortable in your cute new swim suit. Getting through the tough days builds strong habits, just like lifting weights builds strong muscles.
If you're feeling a bit burnt out, are there some non-food ways you can nurture yourself? More sleep, some you-time, a night off where your dh cooks a healthy meal?

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:56 am

Hi Linda,
Sorry you're feeling discouraged. I urge you not to let the scales dictate how you view the whole process.
Do you use a rolling average program for keeping track of your weight? I use the one on the Hacker's Diet website, and it has been so helpful for me. After tracking for 3 months, I think the "2 week average loss" and the "1 month average loss" places on there are really helpful.
I bet the 3# loss that showed up after your vacation wasn't really reflective of fat lost- you may have come home a little bit dehydrated or with glycogen stores a little low for whatever reason. Then that looked really huge and it looks like your weight loss is really stalled now, but the fat loss story might actually be slower and more consistent than the scales shows.
Just something to think about- take it if it seems encouraging and leave it if not.
Keep on hanging in there- we're all in this together.
-Sonya

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:26 am

Thank you iron! You're so sweet to pop on here to encourage me when I know how busy you are. Yeah I think I'm a little overwhelmed by my schedule for the next few weeks. Mostly though I'm upset at myself to not saying No to things I don't really want to do.

Next week my plan was to use the whole week to get my kids ready & packed for camp but my friend first asked if she could use my house on Monday to take pictures then if I could watch her daughter on Tuesday. And then another friend wanted to meet for ice cream (for the kids). Yep I said yes to all --ugh I'm spineless! I know packing doesn't sound like much but I also have to make hotel arrangements for the weekend before camp in LA, get an oil change which takes up to 3 hrs at the dealership, take my kids for their physicals and make plans for when my nieces come to visit in 10 days.

I've made an promise to myself that I'm not making ANY plans for July. Nope not even a coffee date! If I sound like I'm anti-social it's because I am. Well at least some of the time.

Anyway, iron you're right I'm just feeling burnt out in general. As soon as I read your post I went and took a nice long bath and bought a book on 30 min dinners. Time to scale back for a bit. Of course tomorrow is Father's Day so the girls & I are planning on cooking him a nice meal. I'll try to find some quiet time this week though. I think I'm going to commit to drinking my coffee by the pool in the morning instead of as I rush through my morning chores.

Thank you Sonya! Yes it does help & my week wasn't perfect so I guess it's not that surprising but I'm just not feeling quite as motivated as b4 and I think that's what has me worried but maybe it's time to focus more on how I feel and less on the numbers.

Tomorrow is another day...

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:32 am

Feeling much better today. I realized how much I've gained in the last few months and how much better off I am with NoS. I am much more confident, have more energy and so much less angst about food/body/eating issues. So hopefully I will continue to lose weight but I need to recognize how far I've already come and enjoy my accomplishments a bit.

Plus I really enjoy not snacking, exercising and I love exploring lighter cooking. I seem to be having trouble with containment lately (strong urge to pick while cooking, cleaning up meals) but I will work on that and hopefully get that tightened up. After that, there's not a whole lot more I can do except maybe switch to black coffee and water only but yeah don't think I can live with those terms.

Other than that I just need to keep doing what I'm doing and trust that my body will find a healthy place to land. I've also been back to weighing too often & that needs to stop. I'm going back to 1/week. Why torture myself more often than that? That's still often enough to get adequate info but not too often to make me nuts.

Also, I really want to work on being able to say No. I think I say yes because I don't want to be rude but I end up doing stuff I really don't want to and resenting it later. That really doesn't benefit anyone in the end now does it? Sooooo I ended up telling my "friend" I couldn't get together Monday or watch her kid on Tuesday. Normally I would feel guilty but with her I don't. Long story!

Okay happy with my eating today:

Break: cereal w almond milk, hmsm
Lunch: pizza on low carb tortilla w veggies & lowfat cheese, cherries, sm
Snack: chocolate lollipop
Dinner: eggplant rollatini (so good!), salad, skinny spinach dip w veggies, few sangrias
Dessert: coconut panna cotta, 3 squares chocolate

Eggplant
http://www.skinnytaste.com/2013/09/best ... -with.html

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:07 am

lpearlmom wrote:I am much more confident, have more energy and so much less angst about food/body/eating issues... I really enjoy not snacking, exercising and I love exploring lighter cooking.
Hi Linda,
That all sounds so good. I'm glad you're feeling better about things and setting good boundaries in your social life... we are kind of a "whole" aren't we? I mean all these physical and social and eating behaviors are part of the system in which we live and move.
Funny you mentioned switching to black coffee and water only... I wonder if doing that some limited time... say, "for the month of July, I will only drink black coffee and water" or something. I do an iced black coffee that is half regular, half flavored (hazelnut, yum) with stevia that I think is to die for. And imagining myself by your poolside in the mornings... sounds wonderful to me! (Of course, I don't mean to say I think you need to stop with your yummy sounding drinks... just projecting here a little bit, heh!)
Thanks for sharing that eggplant recipe, sounds yummy!
-Sonya

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:15 am

Hi Sonya yeah everything is definitely related. My upset about agreeing to everything was causing issues with eating and stressing me out in general. I already made a huge switch from just nonfat mochas to skinny mochas and it was hard for me. When I make them at home they're only about 50 cals so I think I'm doing pretty darn good in that area. I just need to make sure I stick to my 3 drinks/ day. Lately I've been pushing it up to four.

Thanks for suggestion though!

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:42 am

lpearlmom wrote:I think I'm doing pretty darn good in that area.
Yes! I think you're doing great, too.
-Sonya

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:38 pm

Ah Linda, you've said so many things that resonate with me. I love following your journey.

Thank you for sharing the recipe! I wanted to report back that DeliciouslyElla's Cookbook is good BUT: it's very basic and some of the recipes are more of a "nice base" but need spicing up or altering. I still very much enjoy it but I wonder if it would be too basic for an accomplished cook like you. However, her deliciouslyella app is only £2.99 and she updates it with new recipes every month and you probably get as much out of it as from the cookbook. I do love her S treat recipes though. They are amazing.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:38 pm

Thanks Sonya! Yeah def not ready for black coffee & im pretty sure it'd backfire on me big time. Great that it's helping you meet your goals though. I guess we all have to figure out what we can & can't live without!

Have a great day!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:32 am

Warning whining session ahead:

Omigoodness what a day! Flat tire, lost wallet, money woes, sick dog! But yeah tire fixed, wallet found, and dog is all better. Also my girls had two friends over and they all played really nicely. They also had their first babysitting job & did great. I also seem to be making a new friend so that's good.

Summer is just tough because I spend so much time keeping my girls busy that things just don't get done like laundry & paperwork! Oh well soon the girls will be away at camp for two weeks & I can catch up on everything then!

Eating went well & staying off the scale was helpful today.

Break: yogurt w fruit & nuts
Lunch: veggie avocado wrap, SM
Dinner: Tuscan chicken w roasted veggies(so good!) 2 wine spritzers

Btw, eschano thank you for the honest cookbook review! I have an insane amount of cookbooks so will maybe try to show some restraint. Mmm hmm sure...

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:21 am

Boy, that does sound like quite the day! I hear you about Summer. It's great spending time with both of my boys, but it's VERY hard to pay attention to them, and get other things done. That chicken and veggies dish sounds good!

eschano

Post by eschano » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:52 am

Sounds like quite a day!

Yeah, I think you can pass on that cookbook. Made blueberry muffins today that were a solid brick of almond and buckwheat flour with some blueberries. I'm still searching for a better vegan cookbook but I do like her writing.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:04 am

Thanks heather it was from Ellie kriegers Food We Crave cookbook! I know summers are tough but during the school year we have to deal with morning rush & hw! I guess its just tough to be a parent no matter what!

Well the stress of feeling overwhelmed really got to me today & I had a mini breakdown. Afterward DH insisted I spend some quiet time in our room while he handled the kids & dinner. After a three hour nap, I felt much better and everyone gave me the space I needed to take care of things. I folded & put away the laundry, put the dishes away & cleared off our sideboard ( where all our clutter ends up) in the kitchen. DH made dinner & I was happy to do the clean up.

Later, I was finally able to relax & enjoy some tv/snuggle time w everyone. Yikes I really do not do well with chaos at all. Although I am feeling like I have things under control now, I'm still stressing a bit about money. It's crazy to me that we stress about money when DH does so well.

We are just horrible at budgeting and showing restraint in this area. I guess the good news is that even little changes will be a big improvement. I just have to face this weakness we have. If anyone has a good book (simple) or budgeting app recommendation, please let me know!

Food wise things were good though. Also I made time to meet with some friends today which is important to me.

Break: small piece of baked French toast, fruit, hmsm
Lunch : salad, fruit, sm
Dinner: fajitas with 1 ww tortilla, 2 wine spritzers