Linda's daily check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:40 am

So glad to read you are feeling better, and that the visit is not as soon as you'd feared.

I've done cleanse type things many times in the past (before No S). In my experience, I usually lost weight, then rebounded back up once the cleanse was finished - like any other short term diet. Nothing wrong with cutting back on caffeine and alcohol, that's likely to be good for your health, but don't expect a miracle. Also, if you are like me, expect to be tired and have headaches as you go into caffeine withdrawal, so don't do it during a time when you are busy and have a lot of things to achieve. It lasts about a week, so I usually feel worse, not better, on the first week of a cleanse.

natj

Post by natj » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:48 pm

Hi Linda,

So glad to hear you are feeling better, getting back on track and stronger everyday!

Also glad to hear that you feel less stressed with the change in the visit- that will also help with the healing process.

As far as the cleanse, I will cheer you on if you decide to do it- I can imagine how frustrating those last 10lbs must be. The good news is that you have time to decide whether you want to do it or not. Who knows, once you get back to 100%, you may lose at a more rapid rate. Whatever you decide, I know you will make the right decision for you!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:17 am

Thanks you for the reality check iron & nat for the support! On reflection maybe it doesn't sound like such a good idea. Maybe I'll just do the 3 day cleanse just cuz but not for weight loss. I'll wait till I get to the -40 lb mark before I decide.

I went to the doctor today and actually closed my eyes when they weighed me. The doctor did compliment me on my weight loss though. He said yeah last time I saw you, you were a little chubby. I had some blood work done and am hoping I get cleared for drinking this weekend because I'm making jalapeño margaritas!

I still haven't had a green day this week but it's all been very minor stuff. I guess I'm cutting myself some slack this week but plan to get back to firm boundaries in full force next week. I'm hoping to walk the dogs tomorrow. They look so sad. Though considering my wolf dog is quite the puller, I might wait on that.

Break: 1.5 break cookies,banana sm
Lunch: turkey meatloaf on sandwich thin, grapes, skinny chai
Dinner: mini turkey meatloaf, piece of Texas toast, salad w lite blue cheese

Red moments: grapes, 1 orange macaroon (so good)
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:57 am

Oh dear I'm utterly exhausted today. Trying to get everything organized for our bbq on Saturday. I still have so much to do and my daughter has a soccer game Saturday morning so limits how much I can get done that day. I should be back by 11am though and since the party isn't till 4, still gives me 5 hrs to do stuff. Still I'm going to try to get a bunch of cooking done tomorrow. *phew* Maybe doing this too soon after surgery but I know it'll be a lot of fun once the party gets started!

Green day--yay!

Break: yogurt, fruit, muffin, tea
Lunch: spicy tuna roll, seaweed salad, skinny chai
Dinner: turkey burger, 3 rice balls, Apple

crossthebreeze

Post by crossthebreeze » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:54 am

Hi

Well done for a green day despite tiredness! I hope your party goes well - jalapeno margheritas sound delicious.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:43 am

Thank you breeze ! And welcome!

I got my hair done today and my hairdresser always gushes over me. She was just so complimentary of my weight loss and my clothes and my hair etc... It's always a nice boost to my self-esteem even if she's exagerating a bit. I wonder what I'd feel like if I got my hair done everyday. Would I have super self-esteem all the time?

Anyway I'm so tired. Been cooking/prepping all evening and DH is still outside keeping an eye on the smoker. Of course he's having a gout flare up. Poor guy. He's so stoic but I know he's in a lot of pain. Can't cancel bbq again though.

-38.8 lbs

Okay this is good news I know but yesterday the scale read -40.2! I was so excited I posted it on my fb & Instagram which is weird for me. I don't normally post super personal stuff but was excited. I didn't overeat yesterday so just one of those things.

Red day--a lot of tasting while I cooked.

Break: 1 banana, 1 ww muffin, tea
Lunch: large salad w nf dress, skinny latte
Dinner: 2 fish tacos, chips & guac

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:16 am

Wow really fun bbq but boy did I eat a lot and continued eating more today. Not out of control belt busting kind of eating but more and much heavier food than I normally would eat but heck was worth it. Took me pretty much all day to clean up though. Not sure when we'll be doing that again.

Here was our menu if anyone's interested:

Jalapeño Margaritas
Roasted corn dip w corn chips
Onion dip w potato chips & veggies
Olives, nuts, beer nuts

DH smoked:
Brisket, ribs, salmon, chicken, sausage, eggs

Chipotle potato salad
Jalapeño coleslaw
Cowboy beans

Dessert:
Key lime pie
Chocolate cake
Tres leche cake
Cake pops
Grapes

Yeah I probably gained 10 lbs! Glad to be getting back to it tomorrow !!

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:22 am

Hi Linda,
Wow, congratulations on passing the 40# mark!! That's fantastic!
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:32 pm

I cannot believe you created that amazing menu when you were recovering from surgery. You are Superwoman.

Also, congrats to you on "sneaking" up on the 40 pound milestone. Whether this week or next, you'll get there!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:25 am

Thanks Sonya although I don't think I'm quite there yet. Haven't seen that number since Thursday and after my weekend and a red day today, not sure when I'll be seeing it again but yeah it felt good for that moment. I'll get there. This weight loss stuff is definitely not linear.

Thanks iron! Yeah was definitely a little crazy but there was really no other time soon we could all get together. Was really fun.

I'm definitely feeling a little off today which led to a red day. Different random things bothering me today:

1) my friend came over and was bombarding me with non-stop talking about her new job. She barely asked how I was doing. When she was sick in the hospital, I checked in on her daily. I brought her homemade meals. Plus I feel like she's kind of judgemental about Jon & mines lifestyle meaning that we have wine w dinner, and occasionally have more than one mixed drink on the weekends. Okay she's a bit stuffy. I shouldn't care.

2) A bbq guest made a comment about my butt looking better and acted like I should be thrilled that she noticed my weight loss. I don't know was just odd as this is only the 3rd time I've met her. This is what I get for putting my weight loss out there. When will I learn to keep it a private matter?

3) DHs friend is suddenly interested in befriending me and she's coming over tomorrow. Im nervous as I find her kind of intimidating. Im also a little annoyed that people think since I stay at home I'm always available. She asked if I wouldn't mind making us lunch so now I have to run home after my dr appt in the morning and throw together a salad. Oh well maybe we'll end up being good friends. Who knows but I've decided to only make lunch dates on Fridays since I have to be out of the house those days anyway (housekeeper comes), I don't feel like I'm wasting my time.

4) my friend on fb posted some stuff in support of the awful profiling that goes on in Az of the Hispanic community. Just really ignorant stuff but upset me as a good portion of my friends are from Mexico. Why do I continue to subject myself to fb? I guess it's just a need for validation but in the end it's not so satisfying.

Clearly I'm having some social issues. I'd really rather be alone right now. But have all these annoying social obligations coming up. This is a pattern with me. I get in a social mood and so all these plans are made but my mood dries up before I have a chance to follow through on everything and then I feel all resentful. Must be careful about making plans.

Red day. Nothing crazy but need to be firmer.

Break: Cin bread w cream cheese, fruit sm
Lunch: chicken teriyaki bowl, skinny chai
Dinner: turkey burger lettuce wrap, salmon salad, piece of sushi

Red moments: bite of pizza dip, several bites of coconut sorbet

Never going to reach my goal if I don't buckle down.

Exercise : 30 min walk

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:24 am

I know why you want to do a cleanse but careful... the pendulum has a way of swinging... and I just did a search on whether or not cleanses lead to long term weight loss. I bet you can guess the results. But maybe THIS time...:)

I know at times I lost after periods of stasis when I would go through periods of eating quite lightly on S days, just going with a lack of hunger. The weight would fluctuate but the trend was that it went down and relatively stabilized. I didn't stay at the low eating levels on weekends. But I'm still at the high end of my BMI normal range. I've never been willing to keep repeating the habit.

Glad to hear you're on the mend.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:34 am

Thanks oolala! I think it's that I feel like I'm in the home stretch but losing speed. I think the wanting to the cleanse is really about wanting to get my game face back on. It's about getting back into that intense mindset. So much of this is about having the right mindset for me at least. Like when I go to a yoga class and the get a skinny latte on the way home, I feel like oh yeah I'm one of those super healthy, skinny hip yoga chics that carry designer bags, drink green smoothies for breakfast and eat salads for lunch. That's when I get in that zone of feeling like I got this, this is who I am.

I really have no belief that the cleanse will benefit me much other than help me to feel as if I'm someone who eats & exercises in such a way that'll get me to a certain weight. It's a little weird I know, but I'm being honest. Still you have a point & I really don't want to deal with backlash of out of control eating. Also I cannot bring myself to exhibit such diety behaviors in front of my girls. If I did it, I'd probably just do the break & lunch and eat a normal dinner which isn't much of a cleanse at all although not having coffee or alcohol for a couple weeks might do me some good.

Anyway nothing going to happen till after my great aunt leaves because she adores chocolate & wine. She's in her 90s and still drives. In fact she just bought a new tesla. I know!

Today was a mixed bag. My friend came over and it wasn't so bad. We found a good amount to talk about even though we're very different. She's a trauma surgeon, single mom and a force to be reckoned with. I'm well yeah none of those. But she does have two girls & we're both Jewish so was able to get through lunch and a 45 min walk. We may do it again.

Later DH came home with my blood work. Good news--cholesterol & glucose levels normal. Bad news is my liver enzymes still a bit high. He said it's nothing to worry about but I need to go back in a month. Yeah well I'm still worried. Surgeon said my liver looked good... Not sure what to make of it all.

Today was another red day. Yep kinda losing my focus but know I'll get it back. Just hope I'm not regaining weight.

Break: yogurt, nuts, fruit. Skinny latte
Lunch: bbq chicken salad, grapes, sm
Dinner: veg burger w avocado, salad, glass wine

Red moments: tea egg, muffin, several bites of sorbet

Exercise: 45 min walk

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:12 am

lpearlmom wrote:I feel like oh yeah I'm one of those super healthy, skinny hip yoga chics that carry designer bags, drink green smoothies for breakfast and eat salads for lunch. That's when I get in that zone of feeling like I got this, this is who I am.
:D Linda- I love the imagery! I tell myself something similar... reminding myself that I used to be "that skinny chick who hikes miles over mountainous terrain, fueled only by a bowl of cornflakes and reconstituted milk, plus a cup of Nescafe...". Honestly, that was a loooong time ago, but it does sometimes help me with the mindset!
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:45 am

So funny Sonya! I guess we all carry these idealized images of ourselves around with us. Yours is much more adventurous sounding than my yoga, latte sipping woman. :lol:

Today was good. Just reflecting on all I learned while I was recovering from my surgery. I learned my family loves me for me and not just for what I do for them. I learned they are pretty awesome, caring, capable ppl. I learned they like when I'm a little more relaxed about things. I learned I can rely on my husband 100% when the going gets tough.

I also learned that I tend to make things harder than I need to. My girls are fine with toast for breakfast and the same basic things for lunch each day--sandwich, fruit, something carby & a yogurt. I don't have to make fancy or cleaver meals everyday. Also I don't have to stress myself doing a million things everyday. I can get the basics done--clean, laundry & make a nice dinner. Anything on top of that is just icing on the cake. I learned it's okay to put myself first. It's better to get less done if it means I can take a yoga class that day. Everyone benefits from having a relaxed momma in the house. It's really for the greater good.

Watching my DH doing the dishes and getting my kids to school definitely made me fall in love with again. Knowing that he will do all this for me without complaint is such a good feeling. I know how corny it all sounds but it's true and I wanted to jot it all down before I forgot it.

Anyway green day today--yay!

Break: low fat pumpkin muffin, banana, tea
Lunch: veg burger on sandwich thin, salsa & lowcarb chips, Apple
Dinner: zoodles w pb sauce & smoked chicken, soba noodle soup, glass wine

Exercise: 30 min yoga
Last edited by lpearlmom on Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:02 am

Green day-

Break: pumpkin muffin, banana coffee
Lunch: Mediterranean salad, skinny latte
Dinner: turkey Ruben sandwich, sm

Exercise: 30 min walk

Looking forward to treats this weekend from the farmers mkt--fudge & sorbet & iced coffee w real cream.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:16 am

Nothing corny about having people there who come through.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:16 am

system error. cannot delete
Last edited by oolala53 on Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:19 am

system error. cannot delete
Last edited by oolala53 on Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:25 am

Thanks oolala--true!

I had a red day today. Kinda annoyed with myself but oh well. I think I just let myself get too hungry as we went to a food truck event & didn't eat till 8pm. I think that and I was just feeling a little rebellious.

-39.2 lbs

I'm down 1/2 lb which is better than nothing but was really hoping to see -40 this week. Maybe next week. I'm a little concerned that the holiday season is coming up. I should probably just focus on maintaining from thanksgiving to New Years. That'll probably be good enough.

I went out to lunch with a couple of friends yesterday and I was annoyed they didn't mention anything about my weight loss. More annoying that I even care. When did I get so vain anyway?

Break: toast w pb & banana nf chai
Lunch: bbq chicken salad, skinny chai
Dinner: 3 fish tacos, lemonade

Red: 1/4 daughters sandwich, small bowl of sorbet

Exercise: Hr bike ride; 20 min walk

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:26 am

Thanks oolala--true!

I had a red day today. Kinda annoyed with myself but oh well. I think I just let myself get too hungry as we went to a food truck event & didn't eat till 8pm. I think that and I was just feeling a little rebellious.

-39.2 lbs

I'm down 1/2 lb which is better than nothing but was really hoping to see -40 this week. Maybe next week. I'm a little concerned that the holiday season is coming up. I should probably just focus on maintaining from thanksgiving to New Years. That'll probably be good enough.

I went out to lunch with a couple of friends yesterday and I was annoyed they didn't mention anything about my weight loss. More annoying that I even care. When did I get so vain anyway?

Break: toast w pb & banana nf chai
Lunch: bbq chicken salad, skinny chai
Dinner: 3 fish tacos, lemonade

Red: 1/4 daughters sandwich, small bowl of sorbet

Exercise: Hr bike ride; 20 min walk

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:09 pm

It's just another message that eating less can't just be for weight loss. It has to be because it just feels better to eat less! Besides, maybe they never thought of you as that heavy? I like weighing less, but I actually feel funny when people make comments because I don't consider myself to be dieting and don't want to give the impression I'm trying to lose weight!

A friend of mine put on weight during her marriage and eventually took off 70 lbs. She's not especially thin but she has maintained for several years now. Anyway, about a year after she had lost the weight, her husband saw a picture of her from "before," and commented that he had never realized she has gotten that big!

But you're not alone in being vain about it. Heck, it's POUNDED into us that we are just darn better human beings when we restrict our intake and look thinner! I resent and resist that idea vehemently. But I admit it's a bit convenient at times to be admired for it. But I'd gladly gain ten pounds back if I could get along with my students at work.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:41 am

Okay maybe vain wasn't the right word. Definitely don't want to give you the wrong idea about me. I take 15 mins top to get ready most days, do not take selfies, and do not give a whole lot of thought to my appearance in general.

I think it's just validation I'm looking for. I was kind of hoping they'd ask me questions because I guess I'm finally ready to share where as before I really didn't want to tell anyone I was trying to lose weight. Now that I've made progress I feel like I really have valuable advice to share but hey they're not focused on weight loss and that's a good thing so it's all good.

I think that I do yearn for external validation in an unhealthy way though and I want to work in letting go of that need. I get such a boost when people compliment my weight loss efforts, my house or my kids or even my dogs! I think it becomes a bit addictive actually but then when you don't get it, you feel let down. It's an unhealthy cycle that can only be broken by focusing on internal validation. I'm not sure how to do that but going to try.

Another thing I notice is that I vacillate between wanting to be super social and wanting to shut everyone out (other than immediate family). I'm in the isolation mode where I don't want to make any plans with anyone or even text anyone. I even had to back out of plans for next weekend because it was causing me too much anxiety. Not sure if this is some serious psychological disturbance or just a quirk but I can remember feeling this way even as a young child.

I think I just need to protect myself from those times of being overly social so it doesn't trigger my shut down modes. I'm going to try the following:

1) only plan 1-2 social events/month
2) only fri-sun
3) don't be the one to initiate the plans

Number 3 sounds odd but I tend to get really disappointed when other ppl back out of plans or annoyed when the making of plans becomes too complicated. Okay yeah I definitely sound neurotic but yeah I guess that's accurate. &#9786;&#65039;

Anyway was a good weekend. One daughter away, one had a mellow friend over, so super peaceful. DH & I watched a lot of Sherlock Holmes as well as the very disturbing Scientology movie (freaky!!). Had some good treats like rich vanilla ice coffee and fudge from the farmers mkt.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:53 am

I'm so ridiculously tired. Discovered my daughter has lice and spent the entire day treating the whole family, and decontaminating the house. Ugh I'm so annoyed. My mom & aunt are coming wens & I just do not feel up to it at all. I had planned to spend the day getting house ready, wash car, go to grocery store etc. oh well going to have to kick some serious butt tomorrow.

Break: oatmeal, fruit, coffee
Lunch: handful chips, hummus, iced coffee
Dinner: soup & salad

Haven't exercised in couple days. Not helping w stress.

natj

Post by natj » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:00 am

Oh jeez- (lice)not the best house guests to have when you have other house guests on the way- am so sorry to hear about all of this, especially when you are so tired. Bad timing on all fronts!

I know you have been anticipating this visit for some time, so I hope it goes well, even with everything else going on. At the very least, I hope you can get some well-deserved rest!

Good luck with everything!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:29 am

Thanks nat! Lice seems to be pretty much gone & DH stayed home today so was able to help me with the house. Everything is pretty much ready. Just a few things to get done in the morning. I'm going to throw something in the slow cooker so dinner will be a done deal.

I'm kind of annoyed because my friend brought her kids over the day after they had lice & didn't tell me till they got here. I know she treated them but I'm still thinking that's how my daughter got it. It's a first time for us. Oh well. :/

This visit is going to be crazy. Thursday I have parent/teacher conferences and my daughter has soccer practice that night. Then sat she has a game the same time I need to bring them to the airport. We really did not think this out.

Break: yogurt, nuts, fruit. Coffee
Lunch: 1/2 veg wrap, low carb chips w hummus, sf chai
Dinner: 2 turkey tacos, wine spritzer

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:16 am

Wow ended up having a fun day with my aunt and mom. Really glad she came. My house has never looked better and my aunt was so complimentary about everything. It really made me feel good and feel that all my efforts were worth it. She's 91 and amazing. We went out to lunch and she ordered a martini & told me how she paints her nails all black with one white one. She's an inspiration for sure.

I ended up taking an S day because my aunt brought us a large box of see's candy. S stands for see's candy right?

Lunch: quinoa w salmon and avocado (only ate 1/2), glass wine
Snack: 2 pieces see's candy, sf iced latte
Dinner: bowl of enchilada soup
Dessert: 1/2 piece candy, couple bites sorbet

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:53 am

Another red day :/ I also saw a picture of me & ugh I don't think I'm ever going to like myself in pictures.

Feeling a little discouraged & not looking forward to weigh-in tomorrow. How can it be I like what I see in the mirror but hate myself in photos??

Break: yogurt w granola, nuts, fruit, sm
Lunch: crab cakes, skinny latte
Red moment: couple bites of rice crispy treats
Dinner: 5-6 small pieces of pizza, 2-3 glasses wine
Red: couple more bites of treats

DH made really good little wood fire pizzas tonight and I couldn't resist trying each one.

Tomorrow night my aunt is taking us to a nice dinner and sat is our anniversary dinner so going to be a lot of good food. Looking forward to peace and quiet and normal eating next week.

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:04 pm

Hi linda,

I've noticed the mirror vs. photo phenomenon myself. I'm always shocked by how I look in photos. (And not in a good way) I think it is because a mirror reflects what our mind sees and a photo reflects what the photographer sees. Make sure whoever is taking the photo loves you and you'll always see the love reflected back. :)

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:15 am

Awww I like that ginger--good to see you back!

Ugh it's been a fun few days of eating out but my weight is up a few pounds and I really need to get back on track. Really looking forward to a week with no social obligations. I'm behind on laundry, paperwork etc. so it's back to reality tomorrow.

Break: 2 crumpets w lemon curd, coffee
Lunch: bagel w lox & cream cheese, grapes, sf chai
Dinner: turkey burger on sandwich thin, Persian salad, baked zucchini sticks
Dessert: small bowl of sorbet

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:26 am

I've never liked photos of myself, at any weight. I seem to always have a funny facial expression, or be chewing, or something weird. My sister is an ex-model, and seems to know how to be photographed - how to turn the head, tilt the chin, etc to look good. I just don't.

Someone once told me part of it is that our image in the mirror is inverted, while our image in a photo is not, so that lingering difference makes us feel that photos look "odd".

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:27 am

I've never liked photos of myself, at any weight. I seem to always have a funny facial expression, or be chewing, or something weird. My sister is an ex-model, and seems to know how to be photographed - how to turn the head, tilt the chin, etc to look good. I just don't.

Someone once told me part of it is that our image in the mirror is inverted, while our image in a photo is not, so that lingering difference makes us feel that photos look "odd".

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:34 am

Thanks iron. Glad to know it's not just me. Probably if I took more pictures of myself I'd get used to it. Maybe I could figure out how to get a flattering pic.

I'm up a few pounds but that's not exactly surprising. Feels really good to be back on track. I'm hoping to make my goal by Jan 1st but if I don't, I don't.

Break: oatmeal w fruit, tea
Lunch: naked turkey burger w Persian salad, handful of quinoa chips w chipotle hummus, sm
Dinner: stuffed eggplant, salad, glass wine

Exercise: 90 min bike ride; 20 min walk, 2 sets push ups--yay!!

Feels so good to be bike riding again! Such a beautiful day and all the canals were full of water from the recent rain. Gorgeous!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:50 am

Pretty good day but way too much tasting. Dinner was just too good for my own good!

My daughter had soccer practice today and, although I'd never say this out loud to anyone, I realized I have a big ol crush on her soccer coach. It's the weirdest inexplicable thing. I love my husband, we get along well and have been married for 17 yrs. I would never act on it even if I thought it was reciprocal (I don't know) but it's a very strong feeling. It was almost instantaneous. Just raw attraction. Maybe it's because it's been a long time since I actually felt attractive. I don't know. Weird!

Anyway other than that realization was a good day. We had a huge storm and I thought my house was about to flood but it stopped as suddenly as it started. Living in the desert the rain is always a welcome and exciting event so that was fun.

I'm kind of in that wondering if I should be doing more with my life mode. I know DH thinks I should be. He's always wanting me to open up cafes or take up martial arts or something. In the meantime I'm thinking about getting serious about starting a food blog. Could be cool.

Lunch: salad, Apple, sm
Dinner: slow cooker pork, Brussels sprouts w prosciutto, low carb garlic toast, wine

Exercise: 25 min walk; 20 min yoga sequence

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:36 am

A little bit of a red day today.

I bought some new shoes today (3 pairs to be exact) and when I looked in the mirror, I realized I'm still not what you'd consider skinny. How can I lose nearly 40 lbs and still be chubby? Then I started to wonder if I'd still be chubby even after I reached the 50 lb mark. Then I realized that a little bit Chubby can be cute & that having some curves is nice. I even read that most men prefer woman a size 8-10 so why are we killing ourselves to try to be a size 4?

I realized I'll probably be a size 10 when I reach my goal. If that's considered attractive to so many people, I should be able to see the beauty in that too. And of course this same survey said it wasn't about a certain size or color of hair or anything specific. It was about the attitude and way a woman carries herself. I have that covered.

Not that I'm trying to do all this in order to attract men (well except soccer coach--jk) but it's helping to put all these goals and numbers into perspective. So, anyway, before I came to my senses, I was feeling discouraged and I think that's why I decided to eat sorbet after dinner. Wasn't too damaging calorie wise and I'm just glad I figured out what was behind it.

Break: yogurt, fruit, nuts, coffee w cream
Lunch: veg burger on piece low carb bread, Apple, sm
Dinner: chipotle chicken salad w guac--no cheese, s cream or dress
Red moment: bowl of sorbet

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:49 pm

Taking a little break from posting. To be honest I'm a little disappointed in this forum lately. I really miss the days when at least 3 or 4 ppl responded to my thread on an almost daily basis and I did the same for them. There was so much discussion, feedback and support. Was really nice. Now it seems ppl don't even acknowledge when I post on their thread half the time. I always try to at least say thanks when someone stops by.

Oh well I think everyone is just very busy and doesnt have the time for a whole lot of online time. Or maybe I'm just getting too boring! Anyway I'm finding it discouraging so going to take a break for a couple weeks.

Good luck to everyone!

Linda

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:33 pm

Hi Linda, I'm really sorry you're not feeling supported here lately. I'll miss your posts, which I always read, even if I don't have time to post. Now that bub 2 is 5 months old and more alert I can't post while feeding the way I used to so struggle to keep up with my or anyone else's threads (am typing this one handed while walking pram plus dog :-)

But hey, maybe it's good if, as oolala says, life expands so much to fill the gaps between meals that we barely have time to post?

Best wishes for your continued recovery and I'll be rooting for you to reach goal by Christmas :-)

PS I have a big "never to be acted upon" crush on one of our acquaintances, so I laughed when I read your soccer coach update. But I still fancy the pants off Mr chef, so I think I'm ok ;-)

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:13 am

Hi Linda,

I'm sorry to hear you are a bit disappointed in the forum. I suppose it is all part of the ebb and flow of life. I know that when I stepped back for a while it seemed to open up time in my life for other pursuits. Perhaps this will give you the time to find those other interests you've been thinking about. Good luck, we'll miss You.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:43 am

Thank you iron! Yeah don't get me wrong everyone on here is wonderful but I just miss those days when there was a core of us that really kept up with each other. I esp appreciate all your amazing support even while trying to balance life with two little ones. You're so sweet and definitely have gotten me through a rough patch or two.

Btw so funny about your crush. I guess we're only human and it's all harmless if kept in check. I think it was alarming the way it was just upon me so suddenly. He spoke to me at practice today and I was like a babbling teenager. Geesh!

Yes you're right ginger. These things come & go in waves. I've seen people come and go and ridden out super active times as well as very quiet times so I should I know better than to complain about things but I think you're right I just need a little break to see how I do on my own and maybe channel this energy towards more fruitful pursuits. Thanks for chiming in!

I'll check back in a few and hopefully I'll still be able to stay the course on my own!

Linda :)

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:10 pm

Hi Linda,
I'm sorry to hear that you're feeling the forum isn't giving you the feedback/interaction that you need. I've noticed on this forum as well as other supportive food/eating related forums that there is kind of an eb and flow of members. Especially noteworthy, is that when a friendship huddle forms where 3-4 people are posting daily on each others threads, it tends to have a very limited lifetime, as a few of those people are bound to move on. I've observed that those who are into posting on the NoS site for the long haul, tend to come and go periodically and also seem to have a high tolerance for radio silence, and for sort of lending a helping hand without getting so much in return. Others seem to post for their own benefit of keeping a record rather than for the interaction.
One thing that has encouraged me is that when I glance the number of hits on my check-in forum, there is on average 100-150 people each weekday (fewer on weekends) who have opened my page, and nearly 100% of them have not responded. That tells me that what I am writing is helpful or at least interesting to someone! I read your thread most days, and appreciate what you have to share, even though I only post back when I think I have something to say that's particularly relevant. I imagine there are many others doing the same.
I hope that you'll be one of those long termers who pops in and out, as many of us do, and keep in touch as to your progress and thoughts. But of course, only you can decide how much time and energy you want to give here, weighed against the benefit it has in your life. For me, I know that NoS attracts a crowd of thoughtful, kind people, and I have appreciated the interactions, however limited over these past 5 1/2 years. I've appreciated your posts and your comments on my thread, and I will miss you if you decide to move on, but really wish you well in your weight loss goals and in your life, whatever you decide to do.
-Sonya

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:33 pm

Just a break Sonya! Yep I've prob been here longer than you realize because I had a different username in the beginning (drswife). So like I said before I've ridden out plenty of those quiet times. Not a big deal just missing that intense interaction so taking it as a sign to take a little break & focus us on some irl interaction.

Thanks for all your feedback on my thread . Can't tell you how much it's meant.

There's no way I could stay away for good! Heck I haven't even made it a day yet! :oops:

Anyway thanks for caring!

Linda

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:32 pm

Hi Linda, Wow, I had no idea! That's pretty cool that you've been around since 2007.
I'm glad it's just a break... I guess people often mention a break and then don't surface again, so thought I'd get my 2 cents in while you're "still reading", but I'm glad you don't plan on disappearing.
Funny, you started a break in April of 2010 and I found out about NoS in May of that year. We just missed each other when I was doing my "floating S days" and other foolishness that has hindered me from really working the program and seeing the results I wanted. I mostly just wanted to maintain what I was then, after having lost some weight on a low-ish carb diet, but alas, by playing around and taking breaks from the structure, I have managed to get heavier again.
Well, it's good we're both finding NoS helpful right now.
-Sonya

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:45 am

I'm not sure I ever kept up with anyone very well here, but I do remember things being more active. I guess these things have a lifecycle.

I have been posting on Sparkpeople for years. I am the leader of a team called Living Binge Free on which there is a thread that has been going solid for way over six years. The players can change, but one other woman and I have been there together for nearly all the time, I think. Some people post little, but there is usually some kind of interaction. I don't know what I would have done without it. I like supporting others AND having a place to pontificate. Some people get some good out of it.

Some teams there are always doing challenges or playing games or other kinds of stuff, but none of those things have ever helped me in the long run, so I try to keep the team simple.

There was a little NO S team there, too, but the leader, a guy, felt after six months that he had the habits down and it wasn't even a focus in his life anymore, so he asked if anyone would take over. I did, but I'm not very good at it! There are just a few who post right now, but I honestly believe if it gets much bigger, it gets too hard to keep up with everyone. There are a few who are enthusiastic now.

Not trying to steal anyone, just saying.

No S continues to deserve so much attention, IMHO! It can be so hard in this culture to stay sane around this issue. Having a tribe is a good thing.

Speaking of crushes, when I saw the most recent, I think, coach on The Biggest Loser, which I am not actually a fan of, looking at him actually took my breath away. And when he talks, he is SO NICE! Once in awhile, I torture myself by looking at pics of him online and the same thing happens. Now this guy is about 30 years younger and WAY out of my league even at my best. But I think I get what men must feel when they see an attractive woman or almost any woman naked. It could be a burden!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:21 am

Sonya, It definitely took me awhile too to get serious w NoS. sounds like we both finally figured it out.

Oolala, yeah maybe I should check out some more active forums to supplement this one. Support is key. So great to know I'm not the only one with these crushes. (Btw that coach IS cute.) It is a weird feeling. He stopped by our house the other day because my daughter left her ball at practice and he seemed a little nervous too. Just one of those inexplicable human responses I guess. I adore my husband though, thank goodness.

Anyway onwards.

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:05 am

Hey Linda! I've appreciated your comments on my thread - but I don't always feel I have anything to say because I still feel I'm a 'newbie' and you (and Sonja and Ooohlala and Iron and Gingerpie) all seem so much more experienced - I'm sort of standing next to your 'huddle' and listening to all you say.

It's not a very lively forum compared to Spark People, probably because people are focussed on one thing - NoS and less on their daily lives.

I don't know if I will continue to check in daily......... and it's such a very personal journey, I'm not sure I will develop into someone who encourages new people.

I do prefer Spark People for my everyday 'virtual community' - it has a different function. This one is more like snail mail in some ways - you post - then you wait. But I love that the site works! and there are no adverts or diversions - it is just about No S diet. End of.

When I log on I am often 'disappointed' that there are no new posts. I will make a point of coming over to comment on your posts more often.

lots of love
Gill xxx
I love Everyday Systems :3

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:03 pm

It does seem now that if a person wants to see new stuff here, she has to follow individual check-in threads. Some people have more going on than others. I follow a few, but had gone through a period in which I was posting only the minimum. In one way, I'd like to think I could be "done" with this as an issue, but on the other hand, changing eating habits is so interesting because it's elusive for so many.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:24 am

Thanks gill! I always enjoy your comments on my thread. I don't think it matters if you're a newbie or not but can remember feeling that way too. There's ppl w much more experience than me on here too so I can still feel that way at times still. Definitely only want ppl to comment if they feel inspired to do so not out of pity though so please don't feel obligated!

Sounds like I need to check out sparks ppl although the idea of breaking in somewhere new sounds a little intimidating.

Oolala, yeah I don't even know if I really want it too be a done deal. I enjoy the discussion to much!

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:32 am

I think you might enjoy Spark People - there is always something going on there and the system of keeping up to date with 'friends' updates is more dynamic. The downside is that there are adverts (I use ad-blocker) which makes the pages slower to load. It's all free - and you can use the privacy setting to suit your needs - I'm RAWCOOKIE on there as well if you want to check me out!
:D

Oh, the other downside (which OOHLALA will testify) is that although the site is not aligned with any one diet system - it is generally 'mainstream' - so snacking on weekends is not found anywhere, and I have to be careful where I talk about that! OOHLALA, as she says, leads the NoS Diet team - and that's where I came across this site - result!

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:42 pm

I couldn't have done it without this site and the Living Binge Free team on Spark. I came to the No S team on Spark later, ironically. I am very careful what I look at on Spark because diet head rules there. I've sort of commandeered the LBF team so that there is less emphasis on it. The team has probably lost some members that way, but I don't care. I feel I'm doing a service providing a non-calorie oriented, even non-weight loss oriented team, though some of the members do count and weigh. (The most successful of those has been a woman who changed basically because of a diabetes scare.)

But it is more active.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

natj

Post by natj » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:31 am

Linda,

I just spent time catching up on your thread, as I have been traveling for the past few days. Just wanted to say whatever you decide to you, I truly hope you get the support that you need. And... that you are one of the reasons I continue to post on No S. Your story is so inspiring and I admire your insight, value your opinions, and applaud your tenacity. Not to mention, your posts make me laugh out loud- a LOT (just recently about the soccer coach!). I can imagine, however, that this board may not always give as much as you put into it and let's face it- if you need the support, you NEED the support for your continued journey with those last few lbs, or if only just to maintain at the times you will inevitably plateau. Even if you read this or not, I will send you some positive "vibes" and truly believe that you will meet your goal in the near future. Best of luck!

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:25 am

I just wanted to stop by and say hi! It's been awhile since I checked in on you. Whatever you decide, I hope you check in here at least sometimes. I will look for that living binge free team on Spark People, too!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:22 pm

Linda, I'm taking the liberty of posting the links to the two teams I lead. I try to keep the emphasis on the binge free team on moderate eating without rigid dieting or even a big emphasis on weight loss, as that can complicate the process of unhooking from bingeing.

Binge Free
http://www.sparkpeople.com/myspark/grou ... p?gid=1323
No S
http://www.sparkpeople.com/myspark/grou ... ?gid=33739
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:43 pm

:wink: now you've started something Linda!

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

tacodiscos

Post by tacodiscos » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:02 am

I'm here still and reading sporadically! You're not forgotten!
Start date: 7/21/15, apx 180lbs
2/5/16, -16lbs, 164

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:14 am

Aww so glad to know somebody is listening to my ramblings nat! Thank goodness my crush seems to be diminishing!

Thank you oolala! I went on there briefly but was a little lost so thank you for the links very helpful!

Lol cookie&#9786;&#65039;

Good to see you taco & Heather! Pretty sure I won't stop coming to this board even if I try sparks people. This place is just too special & has helped me too much!

Things are going well. I watched the movie Vegucated yesterday and it really blew me away. I'm seriously considering becoming a vegan not for health reasons but ethical ones. I won't miss meat/dairy too much but I know DH and my youngest daughter won't likely get on board with it (oldest daughter is already a vegetarian). So now I'm trying to look into humane farms to buy from but it's a difficult process which will likely involve mail ordering. We shall see where this takes me but dinner time is definitely turning into quite the challenge with my low carb meat loving hubby, my one carb loving, meat loving daughter, my carb loving vegetarian and then there's me the wannabe vegan. Oh dear!!

Anyway I think I'll check out sparks people and shoot for a weekly post here.

Thanks again for all the help & support even in my whining moments!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:33 am

I feel like St. Augustine, I think it was, who said something like, God save me from temptation, but not yet. You can keep us up on the journey. Just be sure it doesn't give you more reasons that WTH may play a role.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:07 am

PS.I just got a notice that you joined the NoS team on Spark, but I guess you don't have a Spark page. Certainly not necessary, but I would have gone to the page to say welcome!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:51 am

Hi I set one up (I think) but afterwards. Sorry still getting the feel of it but will hopefully get more pics up then of just my dog (all I had on my iPad). :)

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:34 pm

Your Spark Page is set to 'private' - so you'll need to 'friend' people to get personal interactions going on. We can't see your page - cos we're not 'friends' with you :)

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:55 am

Gosh I'm a big dork cookie! It's complicated and definitely can see how you could spend a lot of time there. More feedback for sure. We'll see how it goes. :)

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:10 am

Sparks People is interesting but I miss the simplicity & tight knit community of this place. I guess I can go back & forth. We'll see.

This week I've been having a lot of fun cooking from The Oh She Glows Cookbook and I'm loving the recipes. I could easily be a vegan but I'm still including responsibly raised animal products. I ordered a bunch of goat cheese from a local humane certified farmer and the stuff is divine. We did pretty much switch to goat milk & the kids love it.

With all this cooking means more opportunity to taste too much and that's what I've done much to my dismay. I just can't seem to stop. I'm hoping my weight won't have gone up too much. I just found out we're going to Hawaii in March and I'm wondering if I should aim for getting 10 more pounds off by then. Part of me wants to go for it but part of me wants to just focus on being healthy & fit and forget about the scale for awhile.

Break: gym rat smoothie, pumpkin spice almond milk latte
Lunch: quinoa chili w low carb chips, almond milk latte
Dinner: vegan Caesar salad w nutty crotons, peanut African stew

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:52 am

Oh I LOVE "Oh She Glows!" all her recipes are so tasty and satisfying - clever lady! I also like "Happy Herbivore".

Spark People can take a while to get your head around - you can use it in whatever way you like - but, you're right, it can take up a lot of time. And Everyday Systems is a much 'faster' site because it's simpler. What I like about Spark is being able to look in on what my friends have been up to - on here you have to click on each thread and go to the end to find the last posts. I like both. I like being able to talk openly about eating on here - Spark doesn't really support the idea of S days!

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:44 am

I been checking out sparkpeople as well. I joined a 21 day "get to know SP" challange. I figure by the end of the 21days I'll have a really good idea of all it has to offer and I'll make a decision then about whether to stay or close my account. Right now I much prefer this forum for a variety of reasons but I freely admit I'm a creature of habit and I might change my mind after I'm comfortable with SP.

I encourage you to just stick with no-s habits and forget the scale for now. Habits will go with your into your vacation and help get you through it comfortably but if you restrict now in an attempt to lose more weight, it might rebound into over-the-top vacation eating. Just my thoughts on it.

Always nice to see you whether here or SP [/quote]

natj

Post by natj » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:52 am

Linda,

Love that you are still stopping by! Just wanted to share that I know EXACTLY how you are feeling about Hawaii since I am going in just over 3 weeks! The bad news is that I was trying to radically cut my calories to lose weight before going and it backfired (majorly) on me, but the good news is that I think I'm at the point of making peace with how I look and feel while I'm there.

Whatever you decide to do, I think you will have some time to make some adjustments in a moderate way, or if you don't, you can still take pride in all you've accomplished thus far. At any rate, no decisions need to be made right away!

Also, just looked up Oh She Glows and the concept looks very interesting... and yummy!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:32 am

Yes raw & Ginger I'm am obsessed with that cookbook/website. All the recipes are amazing (thus far). My family doesn't even realize I'm cooking vegan. I'm still eating quality/humane animal products but in very limited quantities.

I think you're smart to do the 21 day challenge getting to know SP. I can see how SP could be interesting and will continue to keep it as an option but yeah it feels a little overwhelming right now.

As for the Hawaii trip I think I'll just continue what I'm doing but tighten up those boundaries. My tasting while I cook has gotten out of control. I also want to tighten up my S days. Two treats ea S day is plenty. Otherwise stick to 3 plates unless I'm out to eat then no rules. I also want to up my exercise a bit. Yoga at least once a week, a long bike ride once a week & my usual walking the other days.

I think that's all I'm willing to do at this point so whatever I weigh as a result is what I'm going to have to work with. I'm okay with it. I feel pretty darn good as it is.

So happy we had leftover day today. Super burnt out from cooking so much!

Break: gym rat smoothie (oh she glows); pumpkin almond latte (she glows)
Lunch: cup of butternut squash soup; part of Asian salad; soy skinny mocha
Dinner: peanut African stew; yogurt; glass wine

I'm trying to kick my Starbucks habit because I'm guessing all that fake sugar isn't good (and its expensive) for me but it's hard! I went in there to get my friend a gift card & there was no way I was walking out of there empty handed. Oh well something (else) to work on.

I went out to lunch today & the salad didn't really appeal to me so only ate part of it. I think this is because I've been cooking so many delicious meals. It's hard to compete with that!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:31 am

-38.8 lbs
Exactly the same as last week. I'm okay with that considering its that time of the month and I'm usually up a couple of pounds.

I know I've written about this before but somehow I let myself get sucked back into Facebook & im regretting it. My friend posted something about Secret Sisters present exchange thing & I said I'd do it till I realized it was a Pyramid scheme. Well I felt the need to mention what this really was about and now I think she's mad at me.

Ugh drama! I'm not good at these things. I tend to think before I speak/act. Also, there's just not a lot of meaningful conversation going on there. It's a time sucker for sure. So that's it I quit for good. If someone really wants to get ahold of me they will find another way. Right?

Break: poached egg, 2 pieces low-carb toast, vegan pump sp latte
Lunch: salad w ff dress, sugar-free almond latte (oops)
Dinner: chipotle salad--no cheese, dressing or s cream, glass wine

30 min walk

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:11 am

Hi Linda,
Thanks for stopping by my check-in. It's good to see you around these parts again.
I'll bet you get at least a pound loss when that time of the month is past!
I'm sure you'll have a great time in Hawaii! (I'm jealous.) It's a good chance to practice moderate vacation eating- something I sure could use some improvement on!
I have never opened a FB account, and periodically, I am reminded of why that is! It seems like the drawbacks outweigh the benefits for many people, but it also sounds sort of addictive.
Your meals always look delicious. Sending warm thoughts your way.
-Sonya

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:42 am

Hey Linda,

I never go on FB anymore. Mostly because I never got anything relevant out of it. Not because anything unpleasant happened. When I did go on it felt like it just sucked my time. Once in a great while someone would post a link to music or an article, which I liked because I felt like it gave a little insight into the kind of person they are. But that was rare.

Hope you have a good day

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:33 pm

Not that it helps, but I gave up facebook about a year ago for similar reasons - people post and share stuff that really shouldn't be out there........and it gets very 'personal'. I'm better off without it!

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

natj

Post by natj » Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:08 pm

Hi Linda,

Just wanted to share that I am not on Facebook. While I sometimes feel like I'm missing out (i.e. I miss invitations of family parties, pics of my out of state relatives, etc.), I still haven't joined. What I hear most from my friends that it's a "keeping up with the Jones' " contest which I will never do well at. It's always "look how awesome we are, etc." messages they tell me about, which sets off my irritation level, because let's face it, no one can be awesome ALL THE TIME. It sounds like you may be responding to those kinds of things which I feel is totally normal- I think it would be hard not to respond. So, this was a long- winded way of saying that people will still get into contact with you if you are not on Facebook. A lot of times, it's through phone calls or emails or even texts- which may just feel better anyway! :lol:

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:17 am

Yeah you guys are awesome and helping me keep my resolve to quit. You guys all have some good points that I'm going to keep in mind when I have that urge. I think I'm just trying to get some validation but it all ends up feeling so empty. I need to find another way.

I still fantasize about having a blog or writing a book some day but everyday life seems to get in the way of focusing any energy on these things. Nat you're right about the keeping up with the Jonses things. It's all so messed up now that I think about it. Okay no turning back!

Well last night DH & I took my friend & her DH out for their bdays and today I feel completely wrecked. We went to this high end steak house and spent an obscene amount of money. I still cannot believe how much we spent. I also cannot believe how much I drank. I don't think we'll be doing that for a very long time!

Needless to say I did not feel well today. I also am feeling very anxious. All of the sudden I'm thinking about all these things I need to do and its stressing me out. Hopefully I feel better about everything with a good nights sleep.

Break: gym rat smoothie, handful nuts, almond milk latte
Lunch: piece of pizza
Dinner: 2 bowls of chickpea curry w rice, couple bites chips w bean dip

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:52 am

Hi Linda,
I hope you feel better after a good solid n-Day and some sleep. The evening out probably tapped into your anxieties about money and eating moderatly. Sounds like the evening really pushed your buttons. I bet there was lots of talk about what everybody was doing and all the various ways they're being successful. Am I right?

Remember how great your doing at keeping a budget and following no-s. Take a deep breath and go from there.

Kind regards

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:16 pm

Hey! I'm glad you enjoyed the facebook picture I posted on Spark People!

When I get overwhelmed I usually make a mind-map, or a sort of 'mind-dump' onto paper of everything that's on my mind. That provides me with a way to organise things, prioritize etc.

You might enjoy doing a blog - what's stopping you?

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

natj

Post by natj » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:00 am

Oh boy- We have been there too. I hope another day coming and going lessens the anxiety some. Just hope you feel better, and I can see that you are taking care of yourself with some nourishing meals. Keep on focusing on your self care!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:12 am

Thanks ginger! The evening out definitely pushed my buttons. It was like how can we be so reckless at this stage in our life. Ugh, I'm having trouble getting past how much we spent. Thanks to the money I've saved with budgeting, we're fine but I can think of SO many ways I would have rather spent that money. In fact I can think of other restaurants I'd prefer to have spent that money. But when your husbands ordering $200 bottles of wine and encouraging everyone to order waygu beef ($35/oz), there's just not much you can do.

So yes, nat lesson learned! No more treating ppl at high end restaurants. Next time I'll just buy a gift. &#128522;

Cookie, I like your mind map idea. I ended up making a list of everything that was weighing on me and causing anxiety. (It always seems longer in your head so is helpful to see it on paper). I made a timeline for getting it done & plan to stick to it. The reason I haven't started a blog is because I've been wanting to do it with its own website & make it look really professional but I don't have technical skills. I know I can hire someone but don't know where to start. So just haven't gotten it off the ground yet.

Today I got caught up in laundry, declutted the kitchen/pantry area, did some ironing & changed the filters. I also made some phone calls I've been meaning to get to. I feel like I can breathe a little easier today now that I have a plan.

Break: skinny soy mocha
Lunch: chickpea curry, half yogurt, banana
Dinner: 2 pieces lentil-walnut loaf, cauliflower mashed potatoes w sautéed mushrooms, glass of wine.

I've had a freezer full of meat for over a week but haven't had to use it. Everyone seems to be enjoying the vegan meals just fine--yay!

Exercise: walked dogs

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:32 am

Pretty good day. Really trying to make better use of my time.

Cookie: I realized how lame my excuse sounded so I got my rear in gear & started the process of starting my blog. I even got my own domain name: azvegangirl.com. My plan is to blog about trying out vegan dishes at different restaurants in Arizona as well as some of my vegan home cooking experiments. I think it'll be fun although I have a lot to learn about the world of blogging.

Break: smoothie, coffee w creamer
Lunch: piece of walnut-lentil loaf, piece of lowcarb bread w avocado & tomato, an apple
Dinner: bowl of curry lentil cauliflower stew, couple pieces pan fried tofu, banana, glass of wine

Curry was quite good!
http://thehappyfoodie.co.uk/recipes/ind ... lower-soup

Exercise: 20 min walk, 30 mins yoga

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:34 pm

I will have to check out your blog. That sounds very interesting!

natj

Post by natj » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:39 pm

Linda,

Omigosh! That's so exciting! Once you get the blog up and running, I will be checking in on that too. It seems like such a great way to to combine your talents for photography, writing, and cooking!

Please keep us posted on how it goes!!!

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:17 pm

:lol:
Brilliant! I'm so glad my comments gave you the kick up the bum you needed to get going! You are a talented writer - the blog already looks good - keep going! I look forward to watching it develop.
:D

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:28 am

Aww you guys are so sweet & supportive! I'm finding the techno end of it all a little tricky but will figure it I'm sure.

I really think it'll be good for me to have some focus other than the kids/house. I can slowly work towards improving my blogging skills & photography. Food photography is difficult so one of the things I need to work on for sure. Maybe I'll even get a proper camera at some point.

And thanks for stopping by cookie. So kind & my first comment--woohoo!

Today was good. My girls had the day off so I took them to see the new Peanuts movie. Very cute & brought back lots of fond memories.

Break: smoothie, coffee
Lunch: small popcorn, soy skinny mocha (so much for giving that up!)
Dinner: lentil soup, kale salad, glass of wine.

Exercise: short bike ride

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:40 pm

That sounds like a fun day with your girls! I want to see the Peanuts movie soon.&#128515;

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:32 am

Thanks Heather!

Kind of an off day. Just felt very flustered & scatterbrained today. I even went to the store & forgot the bank had cancelled my debit card (found fraudulent charge) till I was checking out. Oh and the only credit card I had was expired (forgot to put new one in wallet). Wow definitely felt like a loser!

Then my daughter came home and said her friend wasn't allowed to sleepover because her mom didn't know us very well. Her friend told her that I needed to hang out with her mom. My daughter said "I tried to tell her that you weren't very social"! I was like huh? She said yeah you make plans with people but then always complain about it.

Wow she's right! I'm happiest just hanging out at home, but always feel like I should be doing more. So I make plans then complain about it because I only made the so I could feel better about myself. Geez maybe it's time to just embrace who I am instead of all this nonsense. Anyway was kind of funny and yeah I'm not hanging out with someone's mom just so my kid can have yet another friend sleepover!

Break: low-carb toast, 2 veg sausages, skinny mocha
Lunch: bowl of lentil soup, 4 crackers, banana, skinny mocha (one of those days)
Dinner: veggie sandwich, handful nuts

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:48 am

Linda, the sleepover story cracked me up :lol: maybe the Mom meant she wanted to meet you and her daughter thought she meant hangout? It's hard to imagine she really wants to hang out with a stranger. A politic phone call might do the trick.

Hope you have a nice day.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:47 pm

Hi Ginger! It's funny because that mom actually does know me. In fact I invited four of my daughter's friends and their moms for a pre-trick-or-treat dinner and she was one of them. We all went trick-or-treating together and her daughter has come over on two other occasions to work on a project with my daughter.

I like the mom but guessing she's just very protective of her daughter. She's the same mom that had to check all her daughter's candy before she could eat it. It's fine but not going to bend over backwards to make her comfortable.

-38.6 lbs

At first I was kind of upset that I've been pretty much the same weight for awhile but then I realized this is probably a good weight for me. I eat healthy & moderately. I exercise moderately so if this is where my body wants to be then so be it. I've decided to lower my goal to -40 lbs and enjoy the sucess I've had. I do feel great, but think I was just focused on the numbers. Size 10 sounds better somehow but if I look & feel good, that's all that matters.

I will just focus on continuing with my habits, moderate exercise--walking, yoga, biking. Eating healthy and keeping my S days tame. My weight may slowly continue to go downwards but my focus will be on maintenance. Much less frustrating & stressful. Ok yay!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:17 am

Stupid red day. First in awhile. I forgot how annoying I find it. Ah well.

Break: smoothie, coffee w creamer
Lunch: bowl of white bean soup, small salad
Dinner: chipotle veg salad bowl

Red moments: 2 handful of nuts, vegan banana soft serve, 2 pb balls

Exercise: walk 20 mins

crossthebreeze

Post by crossthebreeze » Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:39 am

I was just reading up the thread about your vegan cooking experiments - I'm vegetarian, but I love vegan food, and definitely think I should eat more of it. Its great that your family have been enjoying your vegan cooking so much! I hadn't heard of Oh She Glows before, but the recipes look delicious. I'll check your blog out when you have it up and running.

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:33 pm

Ohh, the over protective mom. :roll: now I understand. My daughter, age 15, went out to dinner a month or so ago with a group of friends. The over protective mom had to drive - apparently, the dad who was originally going to drive didn't have the right kind of car - I kid you not. Then she escorted them into the restaurant "just to make sure they got in safely", and she stayed to dine at the same restaurant in sight of the girls. . . sadly, her daughter will no longer be invited out with this particular group of friends. Perhaps that was the mom's goal?

It sounds like you're really doing great in so many aspects of your life! Isn't it amazing how no-s seems to open up so many different avenues?

Have a great weekend.

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:10 pm

You're doing great! I think focusing on moderation and maintenance makes a lot of sense! I am very interested in checking out your recipes. While I don't think I could go vegan all the way (my body seems to do better with some lean meat), I do need to go back to eliminating dairy. I hope you have a great weekend!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:13 pm

OMGosh, your daughter's insight was astounding and funny! Busted!

I humbly suggest you make your weight loss goal 35 lbs. :lol:
But also stay honest about what moderation is.

Though some research shows that people lose more weight when they have a goal, I suspect other research might show that the weight isn't maintained. There is a lot of evidence that people then relax their habits and regain because they were weight -focused instead of habit-focused. I know one year I "trained" for a dance camp by going to Jazzercise several times a week for a month before. Then I barely exercised at all for a month afterward!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:04 am

Ginger yeah sounds like you get it. There's always those moms. I think she had some bad experiences growing up though so I can understand. My daughter has another friend who had a slumber party for her bday and the mom made everyone go to bed by 9pm (lights out no talking). My daughter & another girl there texted each other for awhile, because they could not fall asleep that early on a sat night. Crazy.

Hi breeze! It's a great cookbook and I really enjoy vegan cooking. I think it's so creative. I'd say I'm about 90% vegan. I still eat some dairy products at home & want to leave the option of occasionally having sushi or oysters when we go out. I adore both!

Heather: some great vegan dairy options. I'll be sure to do a post about them soon.

The blog is up and running but just but I just have two beginner posts up. I'm reading books on blogging & photography so hoping to improve it over time. It's fun though. I have so many ideas but finding the time is another story. I am going to commit to at least one post a week & after the holidays will up it to two a week.

Oolala yeah I don't know about the whole goal thing right now but definitely will stay focused on my habits. They've gotten me to such a good place. I'm not going to abandon them now. Yeah my daughters know me too well. I guess I'm not fooling anyone. :oops:

This weekend was good. I did eat a fair amount but nothing too crazy. It's rainy & cold here. I love it!

Break: yogurt, fruit, nuts, bite of pancake, coffee
Lunch: leftover Chinese food, skinny mocha, vegan cookie sandwich
Dinner: vegetable curry w barley, couple bites of cookies

I think there was more but can't remember.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:48 am

Break: low carb toast, small bowl of yogurt w fruit & nuts
Lunch: grilled veggies, hummus, sf chai
Dinner: zoodles w avocado pesto, small piece bread, glass wine

Good day but didn't get anything done on my to-list! Really need to clean out my frig & stove b4 Thanksgiving!!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:34 am

Absolutely exhausted. Have more problems with our rental property & it's just so stressful. I think we should just sell it as a loss at this point. Anyway, need to try not to stress. Looking forward to Next week. My mom & mil are coming and we're going out of town for a night so that should be fun.

We're staying in Jerome which is an old mining town and is now this fun artsy town where everything is supposedly haunted. I don't buy into that kind of thing but it's still fun. We're staying the night at a haunted hotel then going on a train ride through the verde valley. It should be beautiful. I cannot wait. I really need to escape for a few days.

Break: gym rat smoothie, skinny mocha
Lunch: veggie enchilada, chips & guacamole, skinny mocha
Dinner: chickpea salad sandwich, chips, guac & grapes

Exercise: walked dogs

To-did list (saw someone else doing this on their thread & liked it):
1. Took car into shop for oil change
2. Cleaned frig thoroughly
3. Did stretches
4. Made family break, lunch & dinner
5. Got another post up on blog
6. Folded laundry
7. Balanced budget
8. Empty & loaded dishwasher twice
9. Went to grocery store
10. Took girls to get haircuts
11. Fed & walked dogs
12. Took all 4 trash cans out to curb for pick up
13. Stuck to nos

More than I thought--not bad!

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:46 pm

It is amazing how much you do in a day when you acknowledge it!

PS: I hate rental property! We still have one but are working on getting rid of it.
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:49 pm

I'm sorry to hear that your rental properties are causing you such stress - I live in a rental property, so I'm glad some people can own houses to rent to people like me who can't buy one! I hope your problems resolve themselves.

Thanks for commenting on my cake-collecting Linda :)

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:02 am

Yeah the rental property is a total pain. There's something new breaking down every week or so and since we're not making money on it, it's just tough to spend more money on it. We did this so we could buy our dream house though so I need to remember we decided the trade off was worth it. Hopefully we can sell soon.

I went out to lunch with an old friend on Friday and it was really weird. I think we just don't have much in common anymore and just not sure I really like her anymore. She hasn't seen me since I started losing weight and when she saw me Friday, she just commented on my haircut. Weird although yeah I know sometimes ppl have good reasons not to comment.

She did something similar when she came to our new house for the first time. This house is a HUGE upgrade from our last house. I mean it's night & day. But she barely commented on the house and instead was gushing over how much skinnier our dog looked. So she notices my dog losing weight but not me. Plus, she was gushing about her son how handsome and smart he is and how he's so good at everything he does but nobody can hate him for it because he's so sweet. Barf. I hope I don't talk about my kids like that. I mean they're awesome but far from perfect. Who is, right?

Anyway I think that friendship is kind of dead. I'm pretty sure she felt the same way about it all. Why is it so hard for me to find ppl I like? Don't get me wrong, I like a lot of ppl on a kind of more superficial level. I have lots of acquaintances I love chatting with when we run in to each other but there's very few ppl I want to have deeper friendships with. Maybe it's just a protective mechanism that kicks in when ppl start to get to close but I don't think I'm going to change anytime soon.

Anyway I do have fun when Jon and I go out with other couples or friends from his work. That's what we did on Friday & since we ate family style I called it an S event. We ate an obscene amount of food but it was just a ton of seafood so pretty healthy actually. I ate a far amount today though too since we had Jon's friend over and made wood fire pizza. I was not a vegan for the last couple of days. It's ok.

Friday I was pretty happy to see I made my goal but with all this eating and Thanksgiving coming up, I'm not sure it's going to stick. Still it's encouraging!

Break: toast, tea, fruit
Lunch: vegan curry http://www.azvegangirl.com
Snack: 2 cookies, couple chips
Dinner: a lot of pizza! Glass wine
Dessert: small bowl sorbet, cookie

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:12 pm

Hi Linda, I don't have a lot of friends either. Just a few that have stuck with me forever. Perhaps your friend didn't know what to say and came off as being awkward. I'm sure, if she noticed the dog then she noticed you as well. Anyway, you know how much you have achieved and that's the important thing.

Enjoy your day.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:23 am

True true ginger. Just always weird when you come to that point where you realize a friendship is over. We've just really grown apart but I am glad things are ending this way instead of because of something unpleasant that happened between us. I'm just amazed at how quickly I go through friends. I'm certain it's because of some psychological imbalance within me but I'm also certain I just have to put up with it at this point. I cannot seem to help this need to end things as soon as I'm no longer enjoying time spent together.

Anyway I'm realizing that it's best when I limit my interactions to socializing with Jon doing the couple thing. Somehow it keeps things stable for me & I can tolerate relationships better.

We went out tonight with another couple (our tenants/friends). I really enjoy when we all get together. I think as long as We continue to hang out just a couple times a month, this will be a pretty sustainable friendship.

Oh well, keeps life interesting. Tomorrow my mom & mil are coming for Thsnksgiving week. I'm super excited esp since DH has the week off. We're having about 12 ppl total for turkey day dinner so should be a lot of fun. My mom & I will doing most of the cooking which I really enjoy. Can't wait!!

Break: 4 vegan ww pancakes, sf mocha
Lunch: chickpea sandwich, iced coffee
Dinner: multi coursed dinner out w wine

Know my weight must be up. Only taking an S day Thursday but it will be a doozy!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:43 am

-38 lbs

Break: green tea smoothie
Lunch: tofu Thai wrap, couple bites hummus
Dinner: chipotle veggie salad

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:01 pm

I hope you had a nice Thanksgiving!

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:43 am

Thanks for stopping by my thread. Hope your Thanksgiving was great. Your comment about having sisters came right as we were all 3 getting to spend some sister time with our younger sister and her husband being in the country for much of November. I am so thankful for family.

Your comment about how hard it is to find lasting friendships is so true. It is hard to maintain good friendships during the busy years of working, raising kids, etc. Be hopeful though because my best friendships (other than family) have either formed or rekindled in the past 10 years as life became less complicated. This is even more true now that we are both retired.

You are also luck you found No S at a young age!
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:04 am

Thank you heather I hope you did too!

Thank you Jean! It gives me hope to think I might still develop a close friendship at some point. I think I just have trouble trusting ppl so I kind of do the hurt them before they hurt you thing but I'm working on it.

Wow I've been eating non-stop the last couple of days. I think it's just kind of a release after all the craziness of last week. My mom & mil were here plus my moms bf came for a couple of days. We had my husbands partner come for thanksgiving plus he brought three people. It was fun but a little awkward at first. Still I think most of the food was good (except the soup) & I think everyone enjoyed themselves.

Our trip to Jerome was pretty awesome. The train ride through the verde river was beautiful. And Our seats were very luxurious. Comfy couches with free champagne & appetizers--woot! I'm definitely up for that again.

The one downside was my mil. She drove everyone crazy. She asks a lot of questions but she never believes anyone's answer. She talks down to everyone & treats them like a child. My kids were even upset because she treats them like they're three. My mom was upset because she felt like she treated her like she was an idiot. My husband was upset because she wouldn't believe him about the simplest things like where the best place to buy wine is or why there was so much traffic coming out of Jerome.

It's worse when my mom is there because my mom is very easy going, silly and treats my kids like well like their 10 & 12 so everyone loves her & wants to be around her. It felt like we were all avoiding my mil and it was hard for me to hide my annoyance but I felt badly for her at the same time. She was left out of the fun and she probably doesn't even know why. For a psychoanalyst she really lacks insight.

It's frustrating. I don't know how to deal with it. It's a very subtle yet persuasive thing that she does but hard to call her out on it because it's difficult to pinpoint. We're suppose to go to Hawaii with her and I'm concerned it's not going to go well.

Anyway today was a total bust. I must be up 5 lbs!

Break: 3 vegan buckwheat waffles, coffee
Snack: piece of candy, handful nuts
Lunch: small bowl nuts, hummus w pita, Apple
Snack: piece of peppermint bark, coffee
Dinner: falafel wrap, soda
Dessert: 2 pieces salted caramel

Ick! Doesn't feel good to eat all day. Plus I did nothing active. Cannot wait to get back on track tomorrow.