Linda's daily check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:20 am

Oh there are plenty of tasty raw vegan meals but I just finding it too limiting. Vegan cooking is the perfect amount of limits for me. Enough to make it challenging/interesting but not so much as to be frustrating.

Well I'm still adjusting to the time difference and didn't sleep much last night. This resulted in me taking a mini nap after I dropped the girls off and thus never making it to the gym. Also, despite a rather moderate day yesterday, I'm up another pound. Water weight maybe. Anyway hopefully I'll make it to the gym tomorrow.

I also ended up having a glass of wine even though I was planning on making this a non-drinking day. Well I came up with the brilliant idea of rewarding myself with a glass of wine for not tasting while I was cooking. Maybe not the best reward but it did work.

Not the most productive day but I did unpack, sort laundry and take care of a stressful item on my to-do list. I haven't heard from my "friend" in a few days. I wonder if she is really that clueless or I'm just over-sensitive. I don't know.

Anyway am gong to try to get some actual sleep tonight.

Break: oatmeal , 2 veg sausages , skinny mocha
Lunch: boca patty, piece of broccoli casserole, banana, skinny mocha
Dinner: bistro beet burger w avocado, cauliflower and stewed tomatoes, 1.5 glasses wine
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:19 am

So tired.. Think I'm coming down with something. Not a totally green day but green enough.

Break: 2 pieces low carb bread w toffutti, 2 vegan sausages, soy cappuccino
Lunch: Thai salad w edamame, black bean soup, skinny mocha w coconut milk
Dinner: tofu poke, lemongrass soup w mock duck, wine...

Red moments: bite of high protein ice cream , couple bites of dds unfinished soup

Queenie

Post by Queenie » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:59 am

Red moments
Interesting terminology!

Sounds like a great vacation. Glad to have you back!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:48 am

Queenie &#9786;&#65039;

A big fat red day. Just feeling out of sorts and a bit rebellious. A little under the weather, slept all morning, still not in the swing of things post-vacation. Behind on laundry, need to do my budget, deal w kitchen clutter etc.

And I still haven't made it to gym or even walk dogs this week. But I am going to cut myself some slack and I'll just try to get caught up on everything these next couple of days. Next week I'll start going to the gym.

Break: fruit, bagel w toffutti
Lunch: veggie burger, rice chips, handful nuts, skinny mocha
RM: several bites of cookie dough, skinny chai
Dinner: 3 vegan tacos, cauliflower, cashew cream
RM: chips & guac, big pb cookie {vegan}

Oh well tomorrow I'll get back on track.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:04 pm

Feeling ready to regroup and attempt to get those last 15 pounds off and hopefully get fit in the process. I also finally got educated about Intermittent Fasting and I do kind of want to try it.
Last edited by lpearlmom on Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:27 pm

Wow, that is quite a turnaround on the IF POV.

I want to say that when I tried it solely to lose weight, I ended up feeling deprived and annoyed and it did feel a bit like torture. Now that I'm doing it for other reasons, it feels pretty good, even fun at times. I don't resent it like I did before. I had already made a change to not having any coffee drinks between meals, so going longer was already a habit. I'm even doing something temporary this week that is rather drastic, also just for brain health reasons. It was hard the second day, but it's fine now. I refuse to weigh myself after it's done because it's not something I will do permanently. I'll keep to my seasonal weighing for now.

I doubt very much I could have convinced myself any of this was a good idea in my first years. Consistently feeding myself nicely seems to have led to it being easier to give up some things, when the payoff seems so worthy. But who knows? In a year, I may decide it's worth it to be less restrictive and take my chances.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:33 pm

I know crazy right oolala! I thought it was like 24 hr stuff. Maybe it is for some? But the article I read said the author did it from 8 pm to 1 pm the next day. That seems doable.

I respect that you don't have your eye on the scale and I go back & forth on that but you are much thinner than me so maybe it's easier for you to be at a place of acceptance ? It's important to understand we each have our own journey I think. We shall see. As always I reserve the right to change my mind like even in the next 5 mins! ;)

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:03 pm

I was older than you when I started, and had also submitted myself to a LOT of anti- media image thinness literature and such. I also felt I had learned to dress in more flattering styles, etc., but my ingenue days were over! So it was less of a burden. But I don't mean I don't spend time and effort on looking attractive. It's just less crucial. Thus I actually felt I looked pretty good right from the beginning, in the low obese range, and all the way down. (When I see myself heavier, I can laugh about it. I'm glad I thought I looked good!)

What bothered me as time went on was that I often still felt I was overeating (getting too full) and was too attached to unsupportive foods. (I also hate admitting that I would still feel envious of peers who had lost more than I had on No S or even other programs. But I chalked it up to cultural head games.) Even when I was young and a healthy-but heavier than many peers- weight, I used to feel my blood run cold when I took off my coverup at the beach, but I absolutely refused to NOT reveal myself, either. Not to say I ever became someone who loved my body big and I'm not without my complaints. I still feel that anxious feeling when I go swimming, but I don't let it stop me. I'm not glad about the sagging and the papery skin, but I don't seem to be in control of it or of my prejudices against them. The thoughts just float around along with the rest of the jumble.

I was never really thin as a young woman, so I didn't have that to want to get back to. I can sure understand that because there was a part of me that thought, well, when I was younger, I did seem to maintain at a much lower weight (than when I started), and that was with little exercise and a fair amount of stupid eating. I suspected I could get there, but just couldn't force myself to aim for it. And I knew I couldn't do it with the youth habits, as much because I knew that people who have been heavy have to eat less to maintain the same weight as those who never weighed more.

As I've said, most of the "good" changes I've made I just can't imagine having been able to do any earlier than I have, so I do try to be understanding of where people are coming from. I guess I just needed every positive and painful experience I went through to get to where I am. And where I am is okay sometimes and miserable others!

In any case, I hope I never seem critical, but just like a loving aunt.
:lol: I just hate to see women (or anyone, really) in pain over this issue! I also want to say that I don't imagine this actually rules your life. It's just what you write about here because that's what the thread is for. AND it's VERY hard in our culture not to have our minds and "eyes" affected by the media barrage. I have to admit that I do feel a bit giggly when I look at myself these days. I'm just trying not to be attached, and that's my thing. It doesn't help AT ALL when I'm at work and some kid is defying me or I'm told I have to do something which is just going to cost me more time and effort and not REALLY improve the quality of life for the students. And it doesn't help in my mental habit of perseverating over those problems. But I'm making progress on that independently.

But I really do understand your desires. Of course it would be lovely just to feel appreciation when we look at ourselves! And it would be great to have this issue off the list. I affirm your getting there any way that you are at peace with.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:15 am

Thanks for the detailed response oolala and I do know you mean Well. Definitely lets me understand where you are coming from too but please know theres absolutely no pain over these 15 lbs. I feel good, think I look good and happily walk around in a bathing suit these days (a serious 1 piece thing of course).

I simply think I could look even better and I'll admit I do enjoy getting a bit of attention. But my self-esteem is in no way riding on these 15 lbs. I do not have a husband or mother or friend trying to get me thinner either. It's just a personal challenge at this point for me.

I too read all those fat acceptance books and they were huge in switching my thinking. I see beauty in all sizes and I do not think being fat is a moral failure but I want this for me. Not desperately but it would be nice. That's all.

I hate that women have to defend themselves for everything. For being a working mom or being a sahm, for being fat, for being to thin, for being a little vain sometimes. It's my body, my choice, right?

Anyway I'm going to remove my plan and just keep it in my personal notes for now. Not really up for a big debate I guess.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:42 am

Still feeling under the weather.

Break: vegan muffin, tea
Lunch: veg patty on low carb bread w avocado, small piece of broccoli casserole, banana
Dinner: bowl of green Thai curry w tofu, 3 pieces cauliflower tempura

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:28 pm

Sorry to hear you're not feeling well. I hope you feel better soon. Reinhard talks about keeping our plans to ourselves, and I think it's wise advice! Keep on eating well and No S-ing - you're doing fine!

I am so happy to be 'maintaining' a lower weight these days - I hope it will go slowly down, but I am, like you, fine where I am right now and on a quiet mission to be a bit lighter/smaller/leaner.
I love Everyday Systems :3

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:36 pm

Sorry if I projected my stuff. I'm elated that the desire for weight loss takes a back seat. It's just one of those things, like wanting to learn to play an instrument better or beat a rival in tennis, I guess. On the radar SOME of the time.

Hope you have a good holiday with the family. I'd bet you're glad, as I am, that the fol-de-rol is over. I'm not terribly susceptible to Easter candy any more, but I won't miss seeing it out of the corner of my eye in stores. I guess I should be glad they didn't display it in Home Depot and clothing stores. They're next. Come ti think of it, it might HAVE been in Home Depot...
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:32 pm

Thank you for your kind words cookie!

You are right about keeping plans to ourselves I think. I just kind of like having everything in one spot so I can look back and see what worked and what didn't. But I tend to forget this is a public forum and of course people are free to express their opinions/concerns. So I decided to start an online journal and am really enjoying it.

No worries oolala! I think I rely too much on positive support from this board. It was just a good reminder that I need to get my butt in gear and start participating in real life more. Yesterday I took a Pilates class and today I'm doing yoga. It's one of those classes that has basically the same group of people there every time so maybe I'll meet some people.

I'm also slowly cutting back my tv time which may not seem like a big deal but is definitely like a huge security blanket for me when I'm home alone. I guess I'm finally ready to make some positive changes other than my eating. About time!

Oh I'm glad Easter is over but mostly because it's one more holiday my Jewish children have to explain to the other kids why they don't celebrate it. But yes crazy how that candy seems to EVERYWHERE !

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:04 pm

Me and TV got a good thing goin'.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Queenie

Post by Queenie » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:04 am

lpearlmom wrote:Yesterday I took a Pilates class and today I'm doing yoga. It's one of those classes that has basically the same group of people there every time so maybe I'll meet some people.

I'm also slowly cutting back my tv time which may not seem like a big deal but is definitely like a huge security blanket for me when I'm home alone. I guess I'm finally ready to make some positive changes other than my eating. About time!

I have found that I need to allow one habit to really become solid before I start adding other new things in. So I think there's an inner wisdom in your timeline for when you feel ready or likes it's time for doing these things.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:05 am

I hear ya--especially with all those great Netflix shows. Still, I need to learn to apply a little moderation in this area for sure.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:11 pm

Especially if like me you've watched "Mansfield Park" five times even though you've promised yourself after time three that you wouldn't... not to mention Law and Order: Criminal Intent countless times.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:40 am

Don't even get me started on all my favorite shows--park & rec, the office, chuck, girls guide to divorce, Jane the virgin, about a boy, Portlandia and a bunch of British comedies I adore. I'm doing good with watching less tv though.

I'm still having weird health issues which has led me to experiment with different dietary changes. I even did intermittent fasting (16 hrs) for 3 days because I read it might help with digestive issues. I gained 5 lbs even though I just ate my normal small lunch & small dinner.

Probably my body is super confused as I've reintroduced animal protein, fasted and started exercising again all in a short time. It's probably a lot of water retention but I had to kind of laugh when I saw the weight gain.

I'm also rethinking my cooking. I'm tired of trying to follow all these different recipes every week and want to try just cooking big batches of things each week and just using what's fresh and local in sort of a spontaneous way. I'm also going to try to make more things from scratch. I feel like this is how cooking used to be done in grandmas day. I don't know cooking shouldn't be so complicated I guess is how I'm feeling. Anyway not relevant to nos but just thinking aloud as usual. ;)

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:51 pm

Linda, I am not surprised you are doing awesome (although sorry to hear about the weird health things).

Always the chef-extraordinaire. And in my book, you ALREADY cooked everything from scratch. What are you doing now, grinding up the wheat berries to make your own flour?
:lol: :lol: :wink:
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/18-25.6; 8/18-24.5; 10/18-23.8;
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
6/20-22.5; 7/20-23.0; 9/20-23.6
4/21 - 25.2

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:35 am

Thank you auto!

Health issues are much better. I think it was from the vegan only diet. Clearly not going to work for me. I've been experimenting with crazy stuff-- kombucha, raw milk, fasting, gluten-free, kimchi--in an attempt to get my gut rebalanced. Not sure what it was that worked or was just going to resolve itself anyway but I'm so grateful!

Went to the farmers mkt and loaded up on produce and humanely raised meat (hopefully). I'm trying to make as much as I can from scratch and just make big batches of simple meals with seasonal, quality ingredients. I'll freeze part of it and we will just eat the same basic meals each week tweaked according to what I have on hand and what's in season--soups, chili, roasted chicken, pasta, steamed or roasted veggies, salads etc.

I don't think I'll go as far as making my own wheat but today I did make almond milk, kimchi and cheese crackers. I may sound crazy but I'm really having fun with it!

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:37 am

lpearlmom wrote:I'll freeze part of it and we will just eat the same basic meals each week tweaked according to what I have on hand and what's in season--soups, chili, roasted chicken, pasta, steamed or roasted veggies, salads etc.
My freezer is my best friend, I don't know how I'd survive without it.

So cool that your doing yoga and Pilates. I miss the classes. Videos at home are ok, but I always got more out of going to classes. And like you say, you meet a circle of people.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:34 pm

Thanks iron! Yeah I'm excited about my new cooking regime. It's a lot of fun. I made a big platter salad and a veggie quiche last night with all our csa produce. Forgot to make two so I could freeze one-doh!

Okay I've been off track for the last few weeks and really need to refocus. I think I was a little burnt out and also feeling sick hasn't helped. I've been trying different foods to help sometimes between meals and I'm sure this has added extra calories to my days. Well now I'm on meds and feeling so much better.

I'm up a few pounds but hopefully I can get these off now that I'm back on track. I guess I'll have to forget about losing those extra 15 pounds. Oh well!

Here's yesterday:

+3.2 lbs

Break: smoothie w fruit, yogurt, protein powder
Lunch: salad with poached egg
Dinner: platter salad, squash quiche, 2 glasses wine
Red moment: bowl of froyo

Exercise: 30 min walk

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:58 pm

It is so hard to be disciplined in our eating when we are having to focus on specific food items to heal.

I remember when I had C.dif and all I cared about was making sure I ate fermented foods and lots of soluble fiber, drank tons of water etc, etc.---I ended up running out of steam for making sure I didn't eat TOO much.

I gained weight during that time, and it wasn't until I felt back to normal after several months that I could be disciplined with NoS again.

Hopefully you'll be all healed up gut-wise soon!
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:06 am

Great to hear you are feeling better, you'll be back on track in no time :-)

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:12 am

Yeah that sounds exactly like what I've been going through auto!

Thank you iron!

Today was much better eating wise and I even got in some exercise but emotionally it has been very stressful.

Hard to explain but my tenant/friend and I had a falling out and I just really don't want to be friends with her anymore. She's mad and is using rental issues to get back at me by being late on rent and constantly complaining about our property manager. Ugh!! It's also super awkward because dh & her husband are still friends.

I cannot believe what an absolute mess I made of everything. I do not know how to fix this and it's just such a sucky feeling. All I can really do is wait it out. Okay I'm done.

Break: yogurt, fruit, nuts, coffee
Lunch: salad w roasted veggies, banana w pb
Dinner: Asian chicken salad

Exercise: 30 min walk, 1.5 hr bike ride

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:12 am

Hi! Sorry about the fall out with your tenant/friend. :( I'm glad your digestive issues seem to be getting better.

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:26 am

Oh Linda, that sounds stressful.

After a series of issues with a difficult personality at our rental unit, I handed the whole thing over to mr chef - tenants, neighbours, repAirs, etc. I happily took on some responsibilities that he'd previously managed to get out of the stress. If your husband remains on civil terms with them, can he handle things? At least until your ex-friend gets over herself?

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:38 am

Thank you Heather although I may have spoken too soon. I guess it's time to get my butt into the doctors office. :/

Iron, sounds like you know firsthand how stressful these things can be. the crazy thing is that we actually hired a property manager so I wouldn't have to deal with all this. Well he's also my daughters soccer coach & the other day at practice he told me about some difficulties he was having with the tenants. Well stupid stupid me had the bright idea of texting her to see if I could help. Yeah how could that possibly go wrong ?

Ugh, my bad. But yeah any future contact will go through the manager or dh. I had dh call the husband & smooth things over at least between them. They're dudes, there's no drama. They're good, thank goodness.

I'm struggling a bit today on many fronts. Had a bit of a red day. I think I was trying to release some stress. Tomorrow my S day goes from 3-8 pm.

-2.6 lbs

Break: spinach egg wrap, skinny mocha
Lunch: chicken Cobb salad, skinny chai
Dinner: 2 grilled fish tacos, beans, chips, glass wine
Red: handful chips, banana, bite of cookie

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:49 pm

"They're dudes, there's no drama"

Ha, that got me laughing. The tenant situation sounds icky. Sorry that you are stuck in the middle of it.

How did you go on a 1.5 hour bike ride? Are there trails or something? Did the girls go? That's impressive!

I wonder if some of your acid reflux is from bringing more fat into your diet somewhat suddenly. The food might be sitting in your stomach longer than normal. Your liver and pancreas might not yet be back in the business of cranking out plenty of bile and lipase. Don't get me wrong--I'm a big fan of fat in the diet, actually. But our bodies are so amazingly efficient that they only make enough of whichever enzymes are needed in the majority of our meals each day.

Anyway, just an idea. I love to speculate, of course.
:wink:
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:54 am

Yeah thank goodness for the male factor in all of this. They have really mended this situation and things are a lot better.

I'm feeling a little better after my therapy session on Saturday. Actually it's nothing short of amazing. I feel so fortunate to have found someone that I've connected to and seems able to work miracles. Anyway, she did help me to see the ridiculousness of this somehow all getting turned around and me being the bad guy when she was the one late with the rent (again). Crazy, how I could feel so unsure of myself that I end up apologizing in this scenario. *sigh* Yep lots of work to be done still. But I am very clear about not wanting to engage with her in the future so that is good.

Anyway, been a very snacky weekend but somehow I'm actually feeling much better today. Maybe it's because I haven't been drinking coffee or maybe the meds are finally kicking in? Either way, I will get myself to the doctors soon.

Auto: I don't know that I'm eating that much more fat as I ate a lot of avocados, coconut oil ect. I actually started feeling all this while doing the vegan thing and I started eating meat in an attempt to feel better since I realized I was probably missing some major vitamins (b12 etc). But you may have a point esp since I no longer have a gallbladder. Who knows!

I would write my food down but it's all a big blur! Suffice it to say pancakes, homemade bread, homemade butter and grilled salmon were involved. &#128525;

P.s. Forget to answer the biking question auto! It was just me and dh. We have some great biking around us. We can bike next to our canal system down to this park that has some beautiful trails that go on forever with a creek and lots of greenery. Biking is one of my favorite things to do. It's so mentally calming and physically invigorating. I don't know why I feel like I have to wait for dh to do it. Maybe ill try going on my own this week.

Queenie

Post by Queenie » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:43 am

Stopping by to say Hello.

That stinks about the tenant -- but so glad you had a good session on Saturday and are feeling so much better.

Take good care!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:46 am

Thank you Queenie! Therapy can be so incredibly effective with the right therapist but I think you just have to ready as well.

I'm feeling better today too digestively speaking *knockonwood*. I know I should still get checked out by a doctor but I really don't want to go.

I blocked my tenant on my phone and it's the most freeing feeling ever. I can choose to just not engage. This is new for me. I love it.

I'm bummed that my weight is up a bit. I'm hoping by being stricter with nos that things will start coming down again. DH is turning 50 in July and I'm planning a special dinner for him. I have this beautiful but way too small dress hanging in my closet. I have this fantasy of wearing it to the dinner but I don't think it's going to happen. I should probably just exchange it for the larger size already.

+5.6 lbs blah!

Break: poached egg, piece of toast, fruit, tea latte
Lunch: salad w beets, cucumber, snap peas & avocado, low carb toast
Dinner: slice of garden pie, roasted asparagus, herb dip w crudités

Queenie

Post by Queenie » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:36 pm

lpearlmom wrote: I blocked my tenant on my phone and it's the most freeing feeling ever. I can choose to just not engage. This is new for me. I love it.
Yay!!!

lpearlmom wrote:I have this beautiful but way too small dress hanging in my closet. I have this fantasy of wearing it to the dinner but I don't think it's going to happen. I should probably just exchange it for the larger size already.
If it's roughly one size to small, then (depending on the store's policy) it might be worth buying the larger size(not exchanging) and holding onto both of them, then return whichever one you don't end up wearing. But I guess that would require a 90-day return policy.

Will you be cooking the birthday dinner?

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:16 am

Hey queenie that's not a bad idea but I just checked online to see if they had a larger size and noticed it said "runs small, order the next size up". I'm not even sure that size will fit my but hopefully!

No, I'm not cooking. I reserved a private dining room at the Sanctuary Resort for a small group of us. I'm super excited!

Today went well. Still feeling good and all that.

+2.4 lbs amazing how my weight drops when I'm super strict with the 3 plates (no picking).

Break: gym rat smoothie, green tea latte
Lunch: slice of garden pie, veggies w herb dip, yogurt w fruit
Dinner: chipotle chicken salad w guac

Walk 30 mins

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:25 am

I hope you get the reflux issues figured out soon! My reflux seems to come and go, but some triggers for me are more acidic coffee, cooked tomatoes, citrus, and high fat meals.
I'm glad therapy is helping you!

Queenie

Post by Queenie » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:22 am

Hope the dress works out.

I looked up that resort -- wow, looks gorgeous!!!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:49 am

Thank you heather! It seems better now but I'm worried it'll come back with a vengeance. I'm not sure what triggers it just yet but seems like big meals & spicy food. We'll see what happens when I'm off the meds. (Suppose to stay on them for just 2 weeks).

Thank you queenie! The other dress is on its way. Yes, the resort is pretty nice. I hope it's a memorable night for him. :)

+4 lbs and a big fat red day. I'm feeling discouraged but will regroup tomorrow. Nothing else to do but that.

Break: green smoothie
Lunch, yogurt parfait, 100 cal bag of popcorn, skinny mocha
Dinner: stuffed cabbage casserole, veggies w dip, 3 glasses wine
Red moments: lots of picking while making dinner, pear/chocolate muffin

Exercise: 15 min walk

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:58 pm

Hang in there, Linda. Sorry about not feeling good, and also about your crazy tenant. Excellent idea to block!!!!

Well, maybe the additional protein in the meat is what's up. Same idea, though, may apply about your body needing to readjust to what you're eating. Protein in the stomach is the primary stimulator of acid production.

Your biking trails sound amazing. Here we just have hills and roads with cars....not awful but not idyllic, either!
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

jackn

Post by jackn » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:21 pm

Yes, it is striking how the body responds right away when we just let it, as per your remark on sticking to three plates, Linda.

Curious about your biking and walking.
Would you care to expand on how you go about it, what the experience is like, fun? anything else?

Good luck on the consistency, to you and to us all.
At meals only eat.
Only eat at meals.

jackn

Post by jackn » Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:54 am

Hey, Linda, I, too, so agree about eating with family and friends.
Yes, from the point of view of having a sane relationship with food, but also because, to me, the social bond comes first.
I understand that to some people what they eat is a spiritual/ethical question, but this is exactly what the social bond means to me. So, if I were vegetarian, say, I'd have meat when sharing the meal with others, and make no fuss.

I also wanted to share with you following your remarks about thinking about food and accepting it.
Last night, I registered my first slip. I had more of the cake treat than I meant to.
I knew there was also much positive about it. It was nothing like a binge, rather mindless overeating. And it stopped the tension building up with the 'clean' record. On top of it, it gave me a chance to handle slips, in the sense of accepting them and getting right back on track.
This morning, I see it even better, I think.

It's really positive and helpful.
That's what I'm aiming for: normalcy, which includes overeating at times. Also, it's a sin. And I'm not pretending not to sin or aiming to be pure. I'm fallible, and that's OK.
Boy, is that helpful.

Thoughts?
At meals only eat.
Only eat at meals.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:08 am

Hi jack! I think you definitely are getting into a healthy mindset about food. Being a normal eater was a huge goal for me as well. Normal eaters definitely overeat once in awhile but they just get back on track, there's no drama.

I still want to be thinner but all that self-loathing that came from eating so chaotically is gone. I can see that I'm a normal, moderate eater now and it's hard to feel bad about that no matter what one weighs. So I don't know if I answered your question but I think the gains you've already made are huge and that we're on the same page.

Auto: thanks for helping to brainstorm for solutions but here's the problem. I started feeling crap right in the middle of my vegan ways, not afterwards. In fact I started to think my vegan eating was causing the issues and thus gave it up. But you did get me to thinking if there's certain problem foods for me so I've decided to do a strict elimination diet well starting after tomorrow that is. Were invited to a Korean bbq party and prob not the best day to start.

My weight is still up a bit +3.4 but I can say I'm surprised. I haven't eaten too much but am super bloated. Yuck, no fun this stuff!

Break: green tropical smoothie
Lunch: 2 pieces sushi, a couple bites of cabbage casserole, tea latte
Dinner: chicken broth bowl w roll

Exercise: walk dogs.

Oh jack to answer your question about walking. It's me and 3 my insane dogs (wolf hybrid, greyhound, & a shitzu) pulling me in different directions and barking at all the neighborhood dogs, chickens & cats. It's not very relaxing but they are so much happier when we do it so I do!

jackn

Post by jackn » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:38 am

OK, got it about the dogs.
I bet no one messes with you when you're out walking them.

"no drama", well-put.
Please let me be like no-drama Obama.
At meals only eat.
Only eat at meals.

Queenie

Post by Queenie » Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:00 am

lpearlmom wrote:I can see that I'm a normal, moderate eater now and it's hard to feel bad about that no matter what one weighs.
I love that, Linda. I'm borrowing it.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:23 pm

Jack: as long as it's not Trump, I'm happy! (Sorry Trump supporters &#128522;)

Queenie: I'm glad that rang true for you too. One thing that continues to amaze me is that my weight has not come up once in therapy. And this isn't because I'm purposely avoiding it. It just hasn't felt relevant To anything I'm currently grappling with. Yet I'm certain that this was pre-NoS, my weight would have been a big part of the discussion. It's so nice to be able to focus on my important matters.

Another thing I'm discovering from therapy is that my reflux may be linked to my stress levels. I'm not saying it caused whatever is going on but it is probably greatly exasperating my symptoms. When I started my session yesterday she asked me to rate the severity of my symptoms. I gave it an 8 or 9. At the end of the session I rated them a 0 or 1. Truly mind-boggling to me. Last night I was even able to partake in Korean bbq, Indian food, diet soda and movie candy with no repercussions.

We had a really fun day yesterday starting with my daughter's last soccer game of the season. The won--yay! Then she had a soccer party followed by a party at dh's colleague's house. Afterwards took the girls to the movies zootopia (was good!). Felt nice to get out of the house and have some fun.

Today is lounging and cooking mostly. I made a big pot of jambalaya and plan to make cookies and homemade kefir later. Hopefully the jambalaya will sit well with me. I'm going to try to eat easily digestible foods for the next few weeks and see if that'll help clear things up. After sorting through all the BS on the Internet, I've come up with a plan to try to get better. Of course I'll see the doctor but he can't get me in for another week and a half.

Plan for reflux (not weightloss driven):

Break: oatmeal with bananas and a little yogurt or kefir
Lunch: poached egg over rice with kimchi and little yogurt or kefir
Dinner: grilled or poached salmon over rice with steamed veggies or light veggie soup Or chicken soup with veggies

1. Exercise moderately 30-60 mins most days
2. Don't drink with meals (dilutes stomach acid)
3. Chew thoroughly & eat while relaxed
4. Do breathing exercises & digestive yoga stretch ea morning (10 mins)
5. Listen to meditative tapes before bed
6. Avoid getting too stressed
7. Take care of self--take bubble baths, take a min to stretch instead of pushing through the pain when cooking, take time to get ready in the morning and look nice (I usually drive my kids to school in pjs and frumpled hair).
8. Breathe--don't rush!

I'm hoping this plus therapy will get me to a good/happy place and will help control reflux. Yay!

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:34 pm

Your plan sounds amazing Linda - I think we could all benefit from those steps, reflux or not.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:21 am

Thank you iron! Constantly feeling unwell is quite the motivator!

Today was good. We took the dogs to the dog park tonight and then watched the last hobbit movie together while eating the jambalaya (was sooo good!). I really love spending time together as a family. Makes me feel so grateful for what I have.

I ate a fair amount today but nothing too over the top.

Break: oatmeal w kiwi, yogurt, tea
Lunch: 2 poached eggs over brown rice with kimchi
Snack: few bites of jambalaya, couple pieces of chocolate, skinny mocha
Dinner: bowl of jambalaya, banana, glass of kefir
Dessert: couple handfuls of Jr. Mints

Plan progress:
1. No exercise
2. Check
3. Pretty good but everyone kept needing stuff while I was eating so could have been more relaxing. Need to work on this.
4. Did my breathing exercises before getting out of bed this morning. Very nice.
5. Listened to guided mediation while in the bath today.
6. Worked on being aware of negative chatter but not getting stuck with it.
7. Bubble bath, did stretches in middle of cleaning, eyebrows waxed
8. Worked on slowing down and taking deep breathes when I could feel myself starting to get tense.

I'm feeling so much better but still very bloated. I'm feeling like weigh-in will not be fun tomorrow. Maybe I'll give it a few days.

jackn

Post by jackn » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:29 am

Hey, Linda, whatever one's politics, no one could possibly say 'no-drama Trump' with a straight face...

That your weight hasn't come up in therapy is so telling.
And, I think, as you do, encouraging.
For my part, I do find that food is still a big source of comfort in my life, and I hope to grow and find other outlets.
The meals, though, seem often to be more matter-of-fact.
Don't know, it's a journey.

Good luck with the reflux.
At meals only eat.
Only eat at meals.

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:55 pm

Just popping in to say hello! Hoping to catch up on reading people's threads soon. Your vegan experiment remarks caught my eye - care to elaborate what made you drop it?

jackn

Vegan experiment

Post by jackn » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:52 pm

Hi Morley.

Would you mind my two cents'?

I was vegetarian for twenty years, the last two-three of which a vegan.

The third bout of low iron (in several years) did it for me.
It didn't make sense to me to feel that weak repeatedly while I knew a great deal about how to eat the vegan way and kept informed all the time.
Once that happened, I started seeing the group I associated with as a sort of sect, and a lot of public vegan discourse began sounding very ideological and self-referential to me.
I'm sure many people can lead a healthy vegan lifestyle, but it takes knowledge and perhaps not all people can. And I don't believe it's a healthy way of eating.
I did retain the ban on industrial animal food, though I'm personally comfortable with killing animals for food.

May I ask about your interest?
At meals only eat.
Only eat at meals.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:19 am

Hi imogen--thanks for stopping by! I guess my story is similar to jack's but I only did it for about 8 months. A few weeks ago I started having terrible digestive problems which I'm still trying to resolve. Well in researching hard to digest foods, I realized that made up the bulk of what I was eating--nuts, beans, raw veggies etc. The stuff easiest to digest lean protein, eggs, yogurt was not in my diet of course so I decided my health had to come first and that was that.

Also, around the same time I noticed there seems to be a lot of smugness in the vegan community. Maybe not consciously but I do think part of what attracts ppl to this lifestyle is because it gives them a way to feel superior to others--low-life meat eating types.

Also, I think we sometimes use food as a way to feel in control of that which we can't control (mortality) and veganism may be an extreme example of that. In the end, food should be pleasurable and it should not take a Ph.D. to get dinner on the table. It's complicated but I thought veganism was suppose to be about compassion but feels as if it's largely about judgement. Of course totally my opinion and definitely don't mean to generalize. Plenty of vegans who do it for the right reasons and with the right attitude.

Anyway I did have fun with it for awhile really enjoyed the challenge of cooking that way but I'm over it. Although I'll still incorporate my favorite vegan recipes. Phew-that was long. Aren't you glad you asked? :)

Today was good but it just never feels like there's enough hours in the day. Will the laundry ever be finished? Will all my closets ever be organized at the same time? Wow, such an exciting life I lead!

My symptoms are stable today. I think the de-stressing and new eating plan are working.

Break: oatmeal w yogurt and bananas
Lunch: 2 poached eggs over brown rice w kimchi
Dinner: chicken breast, 1/2 baked potato, yogurt w banana

Plan progress: short walk w dogs, breathing exercises, yoga stretches, paused to breathe deeply during stressful moments, didn't stay stuck in negative chatter. Yay!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:33 am

jackn wrote:Hey, Linda, whatever one's politics, no one could possibly say 'no-drama Trump' with a straight face....
Lol so true!

Took me forever to get to this point with my eating. You will get there too. :)

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:07 am

My fling with veganism was short-lived and quite similar to yours (and jack's). I felt pretty fine doing it... until my body weight went below 50 kilos. This was disastrous to my reproductive health. My diet at that time was pretty healthy overall - certainly more beans, veggies, and barley than fries or vegan cookies - but low in calories. But however I tried, I couldn't eat as much as my body needed, I simply didn't have much appetite, and my cravings disappeared. And there was this cultist aspect of veganism you both mention... so I dropped it. I believe we were made to be omnivorous, and to eat a wide variety of foods - mostly plants, yes, but also animal products in small amounts. I'm very interested in gut microbiome science right now (Tim Spector and Stephan Guyenet!), which seems to be confirming the common sense approach to nutrition as proposed by Reinhard.
Linda, apologies for hijacking your thread.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:36 am

Whenever anyone apologizes for hijacking a thread, I think--uh-oh I do that all the time. Oops.

Was this a hijack? I guess so.....

:lol: 8) :shock: :twisted: :wink:
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:58 am

Hehe auto, hijacks always make the most intersting posts and they feel like a compliment so I'm pretty sure nobody actually minds them!

So intersting Imogen that we all had similar experiences. The last few weeks I've been utterly fascinated with similar stories I'm finding on the web. And wow have you seen the comments from hardcore types when an ex-vegan goes public with their story? They may love animals but I'm pretty sure the don't like humans. I agree with you about being omnivores. I think vegetarianism is pretty doable but even Ghandi couldn't do the vegan thing for very long. After awhile he was like F this-give me some yogurt already!

I haven't heard of those people Imogen but I have been eating a lot of fermented foods in an effort to help my gut (not sure if that's related). Mostly I defer to Ellyn Satter. She seems to be about the only sane non-trendy dietician out there. When I start to go crazy from listening to all the confusing & conflicting nutrition advice out there, I sit down and read a chapter from her book. So soothing!

Anyway, today was good. Still feeling much better but not 100%. Hoping to wean from my meds later this week. Still no exercise and feeling a little frustrated about that as I really intended to get to the gym today. Oh well. Soon! Also my weight is stuck at +3.4...my body seems to want to stay here for now.

Break: large bowl of oatmeal w bananas, kefir
Lunch: quinoa, chicken and kimchi; small bowl of yogurt & banana
Dinner: piece of broccoli quiche; 1/2 avocado; yogurt & banana
Red moment: 2 mini animal cracker cookies

Homemade efforts: made animal crackers for girls lunches; pickled cauliflower and kefir.

Plan progress: listened to meditative tape last night, breathing exercises this morning, took a bubble bath when I was feeling overwhelmed, slowed downed, Breathed.....:)
Last edited by lpearlmom on Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

jackn

Post by jackn » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:12 am

lpearlmom wrote:I think we sometimes use food as a way to feel in control of that which we can't control (mortality) and veganism may be an extreme example of that.
Right on.
And, speaking of ulterior food motives... as an ersatz for power and friends and entertainment and comfort and security... and what not.
If the world won't behave, then I'll make my own world behave.

Yes, veganism, and... overeating, anyone?!
At meals only eat.
Only eat at meals.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:15 am

I know food has become so many things to us. Isn't it lovely how NoS tends to put it back in its normal place? Important but not all important.

Btw, I don't agree with all his ideas but I thought this post was interesting: http://www.fathead-movie.com/index.php/ ... te-vegans/

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:18 am

lpearlmom wrote: They may love animals but I'm pretty sure the don't like humans.
Thousand times this. My experience is that people choosing veganism for ethical reasons tend to be kind towards their fellow humans as well, but the kale-munching mob worshipping Nutritionism just looks down on everybody.

Queenie

Post by Queenie » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:33 pm

Red moment
Ha! Nice phrase, Linda.

And homemade animal crackers? Way to go!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:30 am

Yeah Queenie, it's just hard for me to think of little slip ups here and there as complete red days but in the beginning I definitely did.

So frustrated today. Was finally feeling like my reflux was under control when wham it came back pretty strongly today. I went out to lunch with a friend no tried to order something simple but was hard. Of course I think my undoing was a glass of wine. Starting to think there's something seriously wrong here but won't know till next week.

Break: oatmeal w bananas & kefir, skinny mocha
Lunch: crab cakes, bowl of soup, glass of wine
Dinner: turkey panini, baked chips, yogurt w bananas

Exercise: walked dogs

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:10 am

I really hope your reflux is due to something simple, Linda. Must be so frustrating!

Since having my daughter most alcohol, and especially beer, gives me heartburn. Annoying, but probably good for me...

Queenie

Post by Queenie » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:32 am

I found that hydrochloric acid (betaine hcl with pepsin) is the only thing that helps my reflux. When I read that most of us have too little (not too much) stomach acid as we get older, I decided to give it a try.

I was so scared that I was going to burn a hole in my stomach lining! I started with a tiny dose and worked my way up.

It's allowed me to enjoy food much more. No more waking up at night with that awful reflux.

Your DH might disagree but I thought I'd mention it to you anyway.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:36 am

I have heard that too, Queenie. And it doesn't make sense to me either. What do you think, Linda? You've probably been reading lots about reflux theories. Do you think reflux could actually stem from an initial lack of acid followed by overproduction at inappropriate times? I don't quite get it....

And I also applaud those homemade animal crackers. You rock.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

Queenie

Post by Queenie » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:49 am

Hi Automated. I never heard about the "followed by an overproduction" part.

What I've read is that when we don't have enough stomach acid, we don't digest our food well -- and the pressure from the poorly digested food causes some of the stomach contents to back up into the esophagus.

Since there should be NO stomach acid in the esophagus, even low acid (from this) feels awful.

But when there's enough hydrochloric acid in the stomach, then the food is correctly digested and there's not the buildup of pressure that happens when the acid is too low.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:19 am

Ah thanks queenie. Makes sense now!
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:51 am

I don't know guys. I've read so much my head is spinning. I read about the low acid theory too and heard that hydrochloride acid can be super helpful. I'm not sure what to think but honestly this is a well studied issue and I'm hopeful my doctor will be able to help me. I just wish I could get in sooner.

Today was okay. Productive and feeling better but a red day. I think I'm feeling frustrated with having to be so careful of what I eat and just a little burnt out on the constraints of nos. I wonder if it's from having saner s days. Well this happens now and then but I know now to just hang in there and let it pass. It will. Probably by tomorrow.

I can remember an exercise from that book overcoming overeating that was so interesting to me. You were suppose to imagine that a strange gas was leaked into the earths atmosphere or something which kind of froze everyone's weight for life. Then imagine how you would live your life if there was no possible way you could lose another pound. There's something very freeing about that. You'd kind of just make the most of what you had and get on with your life right. Stop waiting to do X till you lost a certain amount of pounds. You'd just do it already. Yeah I think I need to be in that kind of mindset. Life is too short for this constant yearning for something that may never come, right?

Something to ponder at least.

+2.4 lbs
Break: oatmeal w bananas, skinny mocha
Lunch: chicken, rice, kimchi, glass of kefir
Dinner: salmon, piece of mac & cheese w broccoli casserole, skinny chai
Red: 4 animal crackers ( little too good darn it, bite of choc cake, 2 small pieces chocolate

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:02 am

Queenie: I bought some hcl w pepsin today because I'm just desperate today. I started w one pill but read some ppl have to take up to 10 per meal! What's your experience?

Fingers crossed!

Queenie

Post by Queenie » Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:26 am

Hi Linda,

The ones I use are in 648 mg capsules. I take three capsules with a meal.

If I'll be eating something I know is challenging (onions in particular for me, or just a large quantity of food) then I'll take four.

The first bottle or two, I took them with almost every meal. Now I take them sporadically. When I start to experience heartburn or reflux, then I become more diligent about taking them again.

I hope it works for you.

Queenie

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:37 am

Thank you Queenie! I've read to keep upping your dosage by one till you get a warm feeling when you eat. Then you're suppose to back off by one to get your correct dosage. I'm at 4 so far and no warning feeling but boy am I feeling better.

Not sure if it's a coincidence but I'm going to continue with them and see how it goes. Thanks for bring this to my attention. It seems to be the one constant in all the various recommended programs so worth a shot.

Today was good. Went for a nice bike ride before my girls got up. Then made pancakes for us before rushing off to my therapy appt. Cried my eyes out for an hour and half and once again am completely amazed at just how much junk I need to work on. My therapist assures me we will work through it all. She's a godsend.

Break: 4 pancakes, bacon, fruit
Lunch: chips & guac, yogurt, nuts, skinny mocha
Snack: several pieces of candy but not a crazy amount
Dinner: chicken burrito,
Dessert: will be a couple of cookies & pieces of chocolate w tea

Exercise: 1 1/2 hr. Bike ride
I really love the bike riding and would like to get a bit more serious about it. My dream is to do a century ride one day.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:12 am

Oh dear I think I cooked my way through the day! Fun but exhausting and waaaaay to many dishes to wash for my liking. Leftovers tomorrow for sure!

Today I made: waffles, brown sugar, chocolate syrup, minestrone soup, chicken congee & whipped cream. Wow doesn't look like much on paper but felt like a lot.

I'm still feeling good today although I did eat a good amount. Nothing crazy though so it's fine. I won't be stepping on any scales tomorrow though.

I thought for sure I was going to have a reflux attack after dinner but it settled. Maybe it's the hcl? I don't know. I'm up to 7 capsules and no warming feeling yet. :/ I'm going to stop at 10 though.

Break: yogurt w fruit and nuts, hm mocha
Snack: 1/4 waffle & fruit
Lunch: turkey & avo sandwich, handful animal crackers
Dinner: bowl of chicken congee w kimchi, small bowl of minestrone w pesto , small piece of bread
Dessert: hm whipped cream on angel food cake topped w strawberries; 4 mini Reese's

Yep I'm ready for a nice N day! I'm mad at myself though because I made lunch plans tomorrow and I really don't feel up to it. Monday's are usually my catch my breath in peace n quiet days. Oh well I cannot flake out!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:59 am

Break: egg & low carb toast
Lunch: salad w avocado & chicken, skinny mocha
Dinner: veggie burger, rice

Exercise: 15 ms walking dogs

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:53 pm

That would be so interesting if those capsules are helping. Please keep us updated, I'm very curious.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:22 am

I know it's crazy right auto? I'm still doing well with them *fingers crossed*. I even stopped taking my nexium, tums etc. I've read there's usually wicked rebound after stopping reflux meds so I was at least expecting some symptoms from that, but nothing yet.

I'm cautiously optimistic. The next few days will be very telling.

Break: 1 egg, yogurt w fruit
Lunch: Asian chicken salad, skinny mocha
Dinner: bowl of dal w radish raita, grilled chicken kefir

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:34 am

So glad you're feeling better, fingers crossed things stay calm

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:41 pm

Thanks iron!

The next couple of months are going to be crazy. Next month is my birthday, my girls and our dogs. Oh and of course there's Mother's Day. In June we're taking 3 weeks off to drive to Alaska.

To be honest I'm feeling a little burnt out on NoS. And I'm probably being a little paranoid but I'm getting the sense that I'm wearing out my welcome a bit on this board. Probably all that over-sharing I tend to do just gets tiring.

Anyway, just going to take a little break. Will continue basically doing NoS but maybe with my own slight twist. I'll check in every few weeks and see how everyone's doing.

Best of luck all!

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:15 pm

I'll miss checking up on your page. I know I haven't commented much, but I appreciate that you have shared consistently on here.
I hope things go well for you!
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:54 pm

certainly haven't worn out your welcome with me.

but wow, couple busy months coming your way!!!!

Enjoy, and "see" you soon, hopefully.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:44 pm

Absolutely paranoia talking - your posts are so inspiring, and even when I'm not posting I always enjoy reading and cheering for you from the sidelines.

Totally understand about busy - the same reason I had a few months without posting recently. Have a wonderful time, will hear from you when you feel like it!!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:26 pm

Thanks you guys! I know I'm just being silly but do realize I f this bothers me, it's clear I should try to focus on irl a bit more *sigh* .

Okay off to attempt just that. Will update when I have something new & intersting to post. :)

Thanks again for support.

Linda

jackn

Post by jackn » Sun May 01, 2016 5:49 pm

Hey, Linda, no one forced to follow...

Busy, yes, a plague.
And I think that I can make it worse by dreading it in advance. Something to work on.

Would love to hear more about the 'NoS burnout' and the mod(s) you're experimenting with.
At meals only eat.
Only eat at meals.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon May 02, 2016 4:20 am

Thanks Jack! You're right for sure. I'm just not going to worry about it.

I guess the burn out comes from the feeling that as great as NoS is, it's still someone else's plan. I need to feel like I own it and it's customized to me to continue on enthusiastically. This is of course after a couple years of following NoS to the letter so I think it's ok to mess with things at this point.

Basically I'm waiting till I'm hungry to eat breakfast so it tends to be on the late side. Then because of my reflux I'll snack on a banana and maybe a granola bar mid-day. If I'm hungry when my girls come home I may join them in a very light snack like a yogurt or hard boiled egg. Then wait till dinner. I have to done by 7 because I'm not suppose to eat 3 hrs before bedtime.

I'm also trying to put on my plate only what I think I need to satisfy my hunger instead of just mindlessly filling it. Basically I'm trying to eat in tune w my hunger while still keeping most of the nos structure in place and also eat in a way that helps my reflux.

Honestly w my meds I haven't had much of an appetite and also had to cut out coffee, alcohol and chocolate. So there's a lot less calories I'm eating overall now. I'll be interested to see if it effects my weight at all. I'm also trying to bike a few times a week. Yesterday dh & I did our usual 1 hour ride and it felt so good. A fun way to spend time together for sure.

Break: 1.5 pieces of toast and homemade jam
Lunch: piece of pizza
Snack: 2 lolipops, sugar free chai
Dinner: small bowl of lamb curry w rice

My s days haven't been much different than my N days this weekend. Not really on purpose but eating too much doesn't help reflux so avoiding it.

jackn

Post by jackn » Mon May 02, 2016 9:25 am

lpearlmom wrote:I need to feel like I own it and it's customized to me to continue on enthusiastically.
Boy, do I agree. Also, I feel I need to adapt anything as we're all different and have different circumstances. I think the goals of NoS are excellent, and the spirit, and I've considerably modified the means.

I see about the mods: mainly a snack or two, and hunger as meal size guide.

Sounds like demanding doctor's instructions. Hard. I had a hard time when I merely tried to quit coffee for two weeks. Plenty of overeating. Went right back...

The biking sounds great, and I wish I had someone to share physical activity with, and I mean even friends or a group of enthusiasts. Though I prefer home to a gym, that's different.

Wow, I eat a ton more than you do.

Good luck.
At meals only eat.
Only eat at meals.

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Mon May 02, 2016 12:28 pm

lpearlmom wrote:...also had to cut out coffee, alcohol and chocolate.
Wow! Is that permanent or just till symptoms stop and you can try reintroducing things?
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue May 03, 2016 5:39 am

Hi jack-thanks for stopping by! I thought the no coffee would be harder for me as the daily coffee ritual is a huge part of my day. Luckily I've seamlessly traded coffee for chai and green tea and I really don't miss it yet.

The alcohol will be harder for me. It's fine at home but when we go out I really enjoy wine with dinner and the occasional cocktail. Friday we are going out for my bday dinner and I'm going to see if I can handle small amounts with food. I do like chocolate but really I'm not a huge sweets person so I'm not too upset by this either.

And yes Sonya I think I may be able to reintroduce stuff slowly back after awhile. The idea is to stay on the meds for a few month so everything can kind of heal and then take it from there I guess. My doctor really didnt give me much details and I stupidly didn't come with prepared questions. Dh isn't much help. He gets too frustrated with me when we try to discuss medical stuff.

Oh well I'll figure it out. Good news is my labs came back all normal. Yay! I've been so nervous because my liver count was high the last two times after the gallbladder surgery. I was so worried it was from taking too much Advil when my back was hurting me or from my wild college days. Huge relief for me.

Today was good. Had lunch with my friend Ericka. Being in therapy has made me more aware of my unhealthy friendships and I ended up parting ways with some people that were causing me a lot of distress. She's one of the few survivors. I've finally let my guard down with her. She's really a true blue kind of gal. Yay there's hope!

Break: none (fasted for blood work )
Lunch: salad w seared ahi tuna, green tea latte
Dinner: chicken salad from chipotle (couldn't finish it)

Jack-I usually eat much more. I think the meds are doing something to my appetite. Or maybe the reflux was increasing it somehow and this is my normal appetite. Who knows!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu May 05, 2016 3:50 am

Yesterday I felt awful all day but am finally starting to feel better. Pretty sure it's stress that caused my reflux to act up this time. I really need to figure how to handle stress better.

I know what I need to do mainly make time for exercise/yoga/meditation etc but I just can't seem to figure how how to do that and take care of everything else. Maybe I need to simplify our meals. I spend so much time cooking and cleaning up from cooking. Hmmm..definitely will come up with a plan.

i bought some new clothes today and yep I still hate dressing rooms! Even with 40 lbs gone, shopping is not fun. I was a little depressed that I'm fit into a large top but I had to remind myself that not too long ago, I couldn't even shop in the regular dept. I was wearing 2x in some cases so yes progress for sure but still not 100% satisfied nor do I think I'll ever be. I do think exercise is the key to a positive body image and think if I can get that going again, I'll be good.

My mom and mil are coming tomorrow. Normally I drive the 30 mins to pick them up from the airport but instead I decided to arrange for a car to get them. Trying to reduce stress and this will go a long way towards that. So worth the 60 bucks!

Break: oatmeal and fruit
Snack: banana, handful of nuts
Snack: handful of baked chips, handful trail mix, no sugar chai
Dinner: egg salad sandwich plus 1 hard boiled egg, 4 coconut thins

Will get back to exercising next week !

jackn

Post by jackn » Thu May 05, 2016 4:04 pm

No coffee withdrawal for you, Linda...

Lucky you to have an Ericka in your life.

Boy, do I like the car sent to do the picking up.

What form of exercise are you most attracted to, if at all?

I say, do something which appears ridiculously little, just to get it going. The rest will follow.

What do you think?
At meals only eat.
Only eat at meals.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri May 06, 2016 6:00 am

Hi jack! Yeah, no coffee doesn't seem so bad as long as I can keep my tea. I'm lucky to have a good friend for sure. I like the idea of doing a very small amount of exercise and going from there. I love biking and have this fantasy of doing a 100 mile ride not this year but the next. I should probably get busy training. &#9786;&#65039;

Still feeling pretty good today and even got away with a little wine. My mil came but my mom isn't coming till tomorrow now so another car will need to be sent.

My girls got out early today so we all went to lunch then got our nails done. I feel so much better when my nails look decent. I put dinner in the crock-pot this morning so everything was done for us. We hung out, talked, drank wine (tiny bit) and watched a little Netflix.

Tomorrow my baby is turning 11 and then Monday my oldest is turning 13. I can't believe it. I can still remember bringing them home from the hospital so small and chubby. I wish I could go back and start over. Maybe I wouldn't make so many mistakes. Still despite everything, they are pretty awesome kids so I guess I did something right along the way.

Break: toast w cream cheese, sugar free chai
Lunch: 2 crab cakes on lettuce, few bites of chips & guac
Dinner: bowl of Picadillo over rice, asparagus, 1 lf choc chip cookie, glass of wine

My weight will prob be up tomorrow. Just a guess.

So much for not posting for awhile. I think the daily writing helps to keep me sane so I guess you're all stuck with me for awhile. &#128521;

jackn

Post by jackn » Fri May 06, 2016 8:27 am

The crockpot is a lifesaver.
Not to mention a great chef.

So, biking.
Nice.

Yes, posting daily is very helpful to me, too.
At meals only eat.
Only eat at meals.

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Fri May 06, 2016 9:01 am

I'm glad you're sticking around, Linda.
-Sonya

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat May 07, 2016 3:44 pm

Thank you Sonya! So sweet of you to say. &#128149;&#128149;

Jack: yes, I love my crock-pot.

I found a way to simplify my meals and still keep them healthy. One of my favorite food bloggers/cookbook writers, SkinnyTaste, posts her weekly menu every Sunday. She also cooks for four people so I think I'm going to try copying her menu for awhile and see how it goes although I'll need to make sure there's something for my vegetarian daughter.

I'm kind of obsessed with her (I even painted my nails like hers) so this will be fun for me. One thing I noticed is her meals are much less complicated than what I normally cook so I do need to learn how to simplify things. This will free me up a bit. Maybe I can start to fit in regular biking although it's going to start to get VERY hot soon!

Today is my bday and last night we went to dinner. We went to this unique restaurant Crudo and partook in the 5 course tasting menu. Was good but not as spectacular as I was anticipating. My tastes have definitely become more discerning. Was a fun time though !

Today we're staying home cooking and hanging out. Maybe going to a movie later. Tomorrow brunch at a new restaurant that I hope doesn't disappoint. A lot of eating this weekend! Back to it on Monday though--yay!

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Sat May 07, 2016 4:10 pm

Enjoy those S days this weekend. Your plans sound fun and relaxing.
-Sonya

jackn

Post by jackn » Sat May 07, 2016 5:25 pm

My favourite cooking style: KISS.
And, lots of raw - tasty, no hassle.

Yes, for years now, I'm finding it hard to find places to eat out that are half-way reasonable.
Whole food and home-cooking will definitely reform your buds.

Happty bday!
At meals only eat.
Only eat at meals.

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Sat May 07, 2016 10:37 pm

Happy birthday!

We have very hot Summers here in Perth. My tip is exercise early morning. The evening, even after dark, is often too hot and humid.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun May 08, 2016 6:14 pm

I don't know why I haven't been receiving alerts of your updates. It says at the bottom that I am meant to, but I've done a few searches for No S shares over the last weeks and they haven't appeared. Anyway, decided to visit.

Worn out your welcome? You're funny.

It sounds to me like your mods for your appetite and acid reflux are completely in keeping with No S.

I toy with the idea at times of going vegan, but my fantasy is disturbed by the fact that none of the regions of longevity on Earth right now are vegan. Only one is basically vegetarian but even among that population, those who eat a little fish fare better. Most are big starch eaters! Though low sugar and of course no industrial food. Not pesticide-free either, though, at least in one region.

I still look at all this stuff because while I know people can lose weight without eating a very "healthy" diet, the odds of having less degenerative disease goes down with poor quality intake. That is anyone's freedom, but it doesn't change the fact that s/he would be playing the odds. I think you know dementia is my big bugaboo now and it's possible that that it is just an inevitable byproduct of living longer, but I'm willing to take my chances that I will miss out unnecessarily on some sweets, fast food, beef, butter, and even some meals in exchange for cutting my chances for it. I still have a lot of fun eating!

Linda, some of the Blue Zone eating is very simple. In at least one, it's really only one meal a day that is very complicated at all. Make it easy on yourself as often as works!

A question I've reported before (may have even told you before- sorry to be repetitious) adapted from one a therapist asked a suspected alcoholic: The question is not why you drink, but what would you do [with your time] if you didn't drink? For me it would be or spend less time thinking about eating changes.For others, it might be that and cooking and such, though if we're going to eat quality food, SOMEONE in the household is going to have to spend more than a few minutes a day on that. I've said before, it might be tougher to find other satisfying pursuits than it sounds. I certainly don't like looking at it. I could have written the great American novel, learned to play the piano, definitely decluttered and actually decorated my living quarters and who knows what else in the time I've spend on this and watching TV. But I guess nearly all of us can all be Schindler and mourn over what we haven't done, though it nearly always sounds ludicrous when other people say it, and other people tell me I'm nuts when I say it. Isn't that the way?

I respectfully suggest you concentrate on building up to 14 minutes of anything vigorous consistently before you worry about a 100-mile bike ride. :P It's true that for SOME people, setting a goal like that cascades into all kinds of changes, but once again, I think they are outliers.

Let's all remember that we live in an unhealthy eating CULTURE. It doesn't mean we can't do something about it, but it does mean we have to think about it more than we would have to if we lived where 80% of the people were dedicated to moderation rather than what we have.

Speaking of thread hijacking, should I move this soapbox to my thread?
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sun May 08, 2016 11:02 pm

Thank you for the bday wishes!

Iron: I think getting up early will be key and since girls will be home for summer soon, I can probably just go and get back before they even wake. I'll try!

Jack: it's so true, home cooked food is so much better than most of what I get when I eat out so its easy to become disappointed with my order.

Oolala: no problem on the hijack! I admire your zone eating but I'm not ready to give up certain things just yet. I agree that vegan hasnt been around long enough to really know how it'll likely affect ones health. I still think Ellyn Satter has the right attitude. Relaxed, moderate and variety. Still my cholesterol did drop 20 points recently and I can't help but wonder if it was from the vegan eating. There's no sure thing though is there and lots of other factors like exercise and stress levels that effect our health too.

I do want to simplify my cooking not because I don't enjoy it but it gets a little exhausting. Mostly the clean up. But I do not think time spent thinking about eating, food and cooking is wasted time. Cooking is an Art form as far as I'm concerned and eating has so many interesting social and cultural nuances. It's fascinating and relevant stuff in my opinion.

I do however think time spent thinking about how to eat less and weigh less is wasted time, so can agree with you if that's what you mean? Who knows maybe I'll write a cookbook or something one day. Maybe that'll give all this energy I put towards cooking feel even more validated but for now it's a hobby I feel passionate about and that can't be a bad thing.

I agree starting with 14 mins is a good place to start. Doing the 100 mile bike ride is just something that I think would be cool to do someday but I'm not feeling any pressure to do it. Definitely feels more positive to have some exercise wants rather than focusing on weight goals so I do think that's a healthy sign.

Anywaaaaay, I have eaten quite a bit this weekend! I'm really lucky I didn't have a reflux attack as I've done everything I shouldn't have--eaten late, eaten large amounts, drank alcohol and coffee etc. Really looking forward to the sanity of N days tomorrow and def not weighing till at least wens.

We had such a nice weekend. My mil usually drives me crazy but she's been really pleasant to be around and, thanks to therapy, I'm able to enjoy my relationship with my mom even more than usual. So was very relaxed with none of the usual tensions between all of us.

Dh gave me a cool high techy thing for my bike and I got gift cards from my fav clothing stores. My girls made me sweet gifts with love coupons and pictures. We went to brunch today and the food was amazing. Yay-will be returning there for sure!

Looking forward to a little peace and quiet next week!

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Sun May 08, 2016 11:26 pm

My last summer before Squiggle arrived I got up most days early to take the dog walking and got back to do my meditation before ironbaby got up. It was the only way to fit it in, but required a lot of self discipline to go to bed early enough! Right now I'm not able to rely on squiggle sleeping past 5.

Could your girls get their own breakfast (I'm forgetting their ages right now) on the summer break?

jackn

Post by jackn » Mon May 09, 2016 1:52 am

Will look into Ellyn Satter. I like the sound of moderate and relaxed.
lpearlmom wrote:Dh gave me a cool high techy thing for my bike and I got gift cards from my fav clothing stores. My girls made me sweet gifts with love coupons and pictures. We went to brunch today and the food was amazing.
Now, that's an S-Day! Or a B-Day.
Many happy returns.
At meals only eat.
Only eat at meals.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon May 09, 2016 5:33 am

Iron: Oh boy I remember the days of 4am wake up times! &#128513; My kids are 11 & 13 so definitely old enough to make breakfast for themselves. Going to bed on time will be a challenge but I'll see what I can do. If not I can always go to the rec center and use their machines but not as much fun as riding my bike.

Jack: thank you! Was a wonderful weekend. I'm lucky to have people in my life who care enough about making my day special.

I originally read Ellyn Satter to learn about raising healthy eaters but it ended up being a huge help to me and taught me to relax about my eating/nutrition a bit. She just has a very sane, common sense approach to eating. She is really a child dietician but in the book I have, she deals with adult eating as well. Here's the link if you're interested:
http://www.amazon.com/Secrets-Feeding-H ... lyn+satter

jackn

Post by jackn » Mon May 09, 2016 11:11 am

Got it, thanx.

Yes, you are lucky to be keep good company.
At meals only eat.
Only eat at meals.

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Mon May 09, 2016 4:30 pm

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!
I love Everyday Systems :3

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon May 09, 2016 11:11 pm

Yes, belated happy birthday!

And yeah, I meant the worrisome thinking about food. I see on other sites that people's eating obsessions get linked to their cooking and vice versa. But I know that slim cultures love thinking and talking about food and cooking. It's about pleasure, not guilt and fear. And not excess, either.

I never read Satter's book and can't remember how I got turned on to her but I read a lot of her writing online. Liked it a lot. Dovetails well with No S.

It will be interesting to see if the cholesterol changes back. Hope not!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23