Linda's daily check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Amy3010

Re: Linda's daily check-in

Post by Amy3010 » Sat Dec 24, 2022 6:37 am

Same here, Linda, reset, reset, reset! :mrgreen:

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:39 am

reset, reset is right! 😊

omygosh fell off the nos wagon. been grazing all day and ugh that doesn’t feel great. weight definitely up. time to get back to it for sure. today i had the realization where this is one of those moments where i could start spiraling & spiraling till i wake up one day 20 lbs heavier.

going to start again tomorrow. 100 days was too ambitious. shooting for 3 green days in a row to start. i’m not having a weight goal because we really have such limited control over that. instead i’ll focus on the habits like Reinhard suggests.

my plan is a little odd but think it’ll work for me.

weekdays:
break: sf cocoa
lunch: sf chai or smoothie
dinner; 1 plate
dessert: bowl of yogurt and muesli

weekends:
same as above but can have sweets for dessert.

exceptions:
going out to lunch or breakfast—have 1 plate for either and continue rest of the day as normal (no trying to compensate).

going out to a nice dinner on weekends (fr-sun):
breakfast & lunch as usual but may have 3 courses at dinner.

vacation: take a break from rules while still being mindful.

let’s see if i can do that for 3 days & then i can go from there.

drinking has been going really well. cut back to about 3-4 drinks/week which is good for me. i do feel so much better. im actually doing dry jan which is actually annoying. im missing those occasional glasses of wine & think i was doing just fine before. but will be good for my body im sure.

break: 2 grapefruits, sf cocoa
lunch: couple bites of thai food, grapefruit
dinner: few handfuls of chips plus guacamole,
dessert: 3 vegan chocolate chip cookies,

exercise: walked dogs-45 mins, pilates—center & balance

weight 166
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

Traci0829

Post by Traci0829 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:34 pm

Linda- I like the goal shooting for 3 green days in a row! I need to remember one day at a time. It's been a long time since I've been consistent with my no snacking. I am definitely more "snack aware" since starting no S a long time ago!
I was considering a dry January, but for now, I am still having one glass of wine on Saturday.
Best to you on 3 green days in a row and Dry January. ~Traci

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:38 am

2 hours ahead is often as far as I can maintain my determination. Just long enough to get to the next meal.

Glad to hear things still going well on the alcohol front.
Three meals a day - not too little not too much, but just right

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:54 am

traci-you were smart to pass on dry jan. this month feels looong!

ladybird—true! youre mire realistic than me.

yesterday was almost a green day, but today was a solid green so just need two more.

break: smoothie
lunch: smoothie bowl, chai
dinner: veggie burger, grapes, orange

exercise: walked dogs 🐶; pilates

really want to check everyones threads but sooo tired. tomorrow.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:45 am

It starts with just one solid green day, right? :mrgreen: I'm going for a three day run, as well. Let's do this!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Jul 15, 2023 2:40 am

it’s been awhile & Ive been all over the place with my eating/exercising. I’m crawling back to NOS and hoping I can get back to a more sane way of eating.

It does seem like no matter what I do my weight goes back to 170 lbs, but at this point it’s more about wanting to feel less crazy around food.

A lot has happened. Rosebud graduated HS and is going to California for college. I’m now working part-time (retail) and after two years of pilates, i decided I was ready for a new challenge. I started Barre classes and it’s definitely challenging.

Hubby & I are good. We just got back from a 10 day trip to Iceland and had an amazing time. Coming home has been brutal. Just feeling a little overwhelmed with life right now but know it will pass.

I really hope I stick to NOS again. i have to remind myself that even if I don’t lose a pound, NoS is a valuable tool. When I’m sticking to it, I feel more confident about my body and eating habits, There’s SO much less obsessing about weight/food & I tend to enjoy food more. so not a lot of cons other it’s hard to get back in the groove, but It’s worth another shot for sure. So here I am.

I’m going to start by trying to hit a 21 day streak. 🤞

Day 1:

weigh: 171

Breakfast: banana, rice crackers, handful of nuts, Iced Mocha.
lunch: chopped salad with shrimp, chips & 🥑 guacamole.
Dinner: corn 🌽, pork chops, salad, a boba

exercise: a Align Barre class 🥵

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Sat Jul 15, 2023 12:49 pm

Oh my goodness Linda, I literally have been feeling the exact same! I keep contemplating coming back to No S, for exactly the reasons you outlined. But then I get distracted and don’t carry out my plan. I tend to gravitate to the same weight, so I am mostly after that peace & sanity you talk about with food. It is so true that when no S works, IT WORKS, in all the right ways.

I’m super interested in your decision to work. Sounds like a fun new challenge. I always felt we paralleled a lot in our lives. Is hubby still working a ton? You must be super proud of your girls.

Thank you for posting. I’m taking this as a sign to try No S again.

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Sat Jul 15, 2023 11:26 pm

Hi Linda!

Glad to see you popping in for an update! Sounds like a lot has changed for you! Congratulations on Rosebud graduating high school! Are you enjoying the part-time retail work?

My weight seems to gravitate to the same weight as well. I know what you mean about just wanting to feel sane around food. That alone is a huge payoff for No S.

Good luck! I hope you have a great weekend!

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Sun Jul 16, 2023 1:57 am

Hi Linda, good to see you are taking on new challenges, they keep life interesting.
Three meals a day - not too little not too much, but just right

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Jul 17, 2023 1:56 am

Hi Sinnie!! So good to see you here! I too feel like we have many parallels. How is parenting going? You decided to stay home for awhile, correct?

As far as working, I was offered a job while i was shopping and decided this was pretty good timing with Rosebud going off to school. A part of me always felt guilty for not working. Even though it’s not a very challenging job, it feels good to be contributing even in some small way. Plus a get a nice discount. ;)

Hi, pinky!!
I am enjoying it! It’s nice to have a reason to dress up and when I work nights, DH cooks for me. It just feels a little more equitable between us somehow.

Hi lady! So happy you’re still around. 😀

Sanity with food would be amazing right now. i So miss it. Im worried I won’t be able to commit to NoS. I think I need to be a little less rigid with the rules maybe. I think the fact that it’s so easy to fail (one off plate bite) makes it so I end up just quitting. I need a no fail method. 🤔

This weekend was good but boy did I eat a lot. DH & I drove to LA to surprise my mom for her bday. She was really happy to see us!

Breakfast: juice, bagel 🥯 with cream cheese.
lunch:,1/2 turkey sandwich, RX bar, grapes, iced mocha
dinner: chicken kabob, roasted potatoes & veggies, kombucha

Worried about my weigh in tomorrow. 🤷‍♀️

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:57 am

today went pretty good but was definitely very hungry after my barre class today. It is A LOT of work. I still feel very much a beginner as I pant and sweat through all the awkward movements. Im sure I’ll improve over time, but ugh it’s not that fun yet.

Breakfast: banana, iced mocha, rice crackers w/ almond butter.
Lunch: grilled chicken, rice crackers with cottage cheese & blueberries 🫐 & strawberries 🍓.
Dinner: cobb salad w a piece of sourdough, kombucha.

exercise: classic barre class.

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:53 pm

Hi Linda!

I had to not use the red or green or fail thing when I did NO S. I still don't REALLY. I am right now as I reestablish a habit but what I aim for is consistency. If I constantly take extra bites after dinner, then that is not what I want. If I did today, or maybe twice last week but not this week I am not going to get upset about it and not call myself failed. For me, a more flexible forgiving approach works. I just notice it and try to be aware so that I am less likely to do it next time. I also try to remind myself that it's not about red or green. It's about creating a habit, which just means doing it consistently over time, so that is what I am aiming for. I know you know all this, having done it for so long like I have, but I wanted to share my thought process in case it helped. :)

Glad you are enjoying the job! I know what you mean about being more equitable. I am working full time now which isn't my favorite, but I have to admit, I like that now DH is responsible for dinner 2 nights a week, and that he has to deal with stuff more with the kids because we BOTH work. There are definite advantages!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:02 am

For sure Hippie! Yeah I do think it’s better not to focus too much on red/greens. It’s more about the overall spirit of NoS, right? 3 meals, no seconds , nothing between meals, & sweets only on the weekends (or S days).

Im already obsessing less now that Im getting back in the groove. soooo nice! I do feel like I’m eating a lot but I think it’s because Im more aware of the actual amounts. i’m sure I eat a lot more when Im grazing all day.

yesterday I drove my friend to Tucson so she could visit her sick friend. I stayed at a nice hotel while she visited her friend. It was nice to have some quiet time but happy to be home. Housecleaner came today. Feeling grateful.

Breakfast: yogurt, granola, fruit, 1/2 🥯, iced mocha
lunch: yogurt, nuts, pb pretzels, corn 🌽, mocha
dinner: lentil soup, 1/2 falafel 🥙

exercise: none (feeling a little under the weather.)

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:09 pm

Hi LInda! Exactly!

I know when I graze I end up eating way more.

Hope you feel better soon!

WINhappy

Post by WINhappy » Thu Jul 27, 2023 1:08 am

Hi Linda, I just wanted to reach out and tell you I'm rooting for you. I hope you find the calmness you're looking for. Best regards, WINhappy
Sometimes the coolest thing when you were a kid- remains the coolest thing.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:52 pm

Thank you WIN!

Just wanted to pop in and see how everyone was doing. Haven’t been doing NoS. Luckily I haven’t gained a lot of weight but eating feels all over the place. I’ve been working on maintaining for now but would still really like to lose 10 lbs or so.

I went back and re-read my first couple of weeks doing NoS and realized & calming and safe I felt with this newly found structure. I’ve really come off the rails a bit since that first year of NoS. I’ve been focused too much on the end goal (weight loss) and not enough on the journey. I need to enjoy how good it feels to have a safe & consistent eating plan & let my weight land where it may. I can’t maintain a weight that isn’t supported by a comfortable & reasonable plan so might as well focus on the plan first.

Okay a lot to catch up on still but need to walk the dogs first! Today is my first step back into the world of sane eating. Excited & nervous. I really don’t want to keep going back & forth, on & off. It’s exhausting! Let’s do this!

Breakfast: yogurt w fruit & nuts, coffee
Lunch: veggie burger, grapefruit
Dinner: bunless veggie burger, bowl of cereal w bananas

(We’re doing an eat of the cupboard this month. )

Exercise: dog walk (30 mins); walk/run 30 mins; stretching

Success day 1

WINhappy

Post by WINhappy » Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:20 am

Hi Linda, I hope you've been doing well with Days 2+. Wishing you well, WINhappy
Sometimes the coolest thing when you were a kid- remains the coolest thing.