Linda's daily check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

alene1

Re: Linda's daily check-in

Post by alene1 » Tue May 12, 2020 10:53 pm

Hi Linda. Your Diet Bet got me inspired to set some goals to light a fire under me. I'm glad it's doing the same for you!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed May 13, 2020 5:17 am

Oh yay alene! Sometimes i think we need to give ourselves a little push to get the momentum going again.

I had a little trouble reigning in the post-dinner snacking tonight but all in all not too bad. I think thats the problem with allowing a small dessert each night. Once i eat sugar, it’s sometimes hard not to go overboard. I think i might need to go back to my yogurt and fruit dessert. It’s more satisfying and doesn’t seem to lead to overeating. Ill try that tomorrow.

The girls continued conflict is so stressful. I really hate being in the middle of it yet as their mom i kind of have to be. Sigh.

20.9%
Goal 1 166.7 lbs by 6/4

Snack: sf ice blended, orange, 3 olives
Dinner: shrimp with roasted poblanos & apples, bread
Dessert: enlightened bars, couple bites chocolate cake

Exercise: 30 mins walk-run, weights; walked doga
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

alene1

Post by alene1 » Wed May 13, 2020 2:21 pm

Finding just the right evening snack is important. Satisfying and enjoyable, but that doesn't set you up for wanting more. I love the Yasso Greek yogurt bars. Lots of delish flavors and only about 100 calories. They totally do the trick for me!

So sorry about the girls. It's very stressful having that go on in your home.

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Wed May 13, 2020 4:50 pm

Sorry the girls continue to have conflict. Do you notice if the stress of having to deal with that makes you want to eat more?

I have the same thing with snacking and dessert if I have sugar after dinner. Its weird how much of a habit it becomes. I usually can't even do fruit and yogurt though or I start thinking I need something sweet after dinner every single night. And on the nights I have dessert (S nights) I actually save a bite or two of my dinner and eat it after my desert so the last taste in my mouth is savory rather than sweet. I know, I'm a weirdo but it works for me and seems to help my blood sugar too.

Those yogurt bars sound good! I will have to look for those next time I am at the store.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat May 16, 2020 4:55 am

Hi Alene: yeah those yogurt bars are good. The enlightened bars are very similar. Only 90 calories each but i have trouble eating just one.

Hippy: I dont know. I think i mostly overdo it in response to deprivation or perceived deprivation. Or sometimes a rebellious response to this whole weight loss thing.

Speaking of overdoing it, the last two days have not been great. Yesterday i was doing pretty good till my neighbor brought over a homemade dessert for a belated bday. We sat outside 6 ft apart and doc cut me a big slice even though i asked him for a little one and i ate the whole thing of course. Also, rosebud wanted to make banana bread yesterday and resisting a slice of that was not happening. When i weighed myself this morning i felt just so discouraged and decided i needed a day off. Tomorrow i will hit reset. Its okay. It happens. Im still hopeful i will make my first goal by the 4th.

I think im having a hard time finding my why right now. I mean how much is losing weight really going to change my life at this point? Basically i want to look cuter and buy cuter clothes? It’s a little hard to get behind that right now and no I don’t have any health related issues but i want to lose weight because Ive always always always had that as a goal. I dint know, for now im just focusing on my little dietbet goals and maybe i will figure out my why along the way....

alene1

Post by alene1 » Sat May 16, 2020 2:21 pm

Hi Linda. Yes, it's hard to be motivated enough to do what you need to do consistently if you don't have a strong motivator. I think the real goal of all this is to be happy and content and then be able to focus on life. At least it is for me. I think because so many of us have been dieting so long it feels like our job. It's really not though. You can call maintenance at any point and focus on health and being your best self in other ways besides the number on the scale. Maybe you have a bigger why in another area of your life.

Those would have been very hard temptations to pass up! I hope you enjoyed them.

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Sat May 16, 2020 5:13 pm

Linda, I feel the same way about deprivation and perceived response to deprivation. If I am not super motivated, I can't sustain, and then eventually I snap. I am trying to figure out how to do it differently this time. I think it's helpful that I have developed the no treats on weekdays and not eating after dinner habit. Everything else is really up in the air. Also, yeah with being stuck at home motivation is pretty low. I am more concerned with my health since I am older now, I think that is why I have been more motivated this time around.

I like what Alene had to say about it too. I definitely agree.

I hope you have a good and relaxing Saturday and try not to stress too much.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed May 20, 2020 5:41 am

Thanks for the support alene and hippy. Still working in my motivation but the last couple of days have been a bit better. One of my whys is just to prove to myself that i can accomplish something difficult. I know that is what kept me going my first year of nos despite not having much weight loss. It helps keep me going even when the scale isn’t behaving.

Ive been really good with my exercise but still not seeing a lot of movement with the scale. Though hopefully thatll happen now that my eating has calmed down a bit. Im on my 4th week of the bora bora interval training series and its getting pretty intense. Today's workout was a combo of power walking, running, sprinting and weigh training. Boy, did i have to push myself but it felt really good to do so.

Ive had a few wine free days and my sleeping is so much better on those days. I didn’t realize quite how much its been effecting it. It bums me out a little bit, because id still like to enjoy wine a few nights a week. I guess ill have to decide if the trade off is sometimes worth it.

22/2
21.5%

Snack: tea with almond milk, apples
Dinner: black bean sloppy joes, tortilla chips
Dessert: small bowl chocolate chips

Exercise: 32 mins run-walk-sprint, weights; walked dogs 🐶

alene1

Post by alene1 » Wed May 20, 2020 2:10 pm

Your workouts sound tough! It does feel good to push ourselves and do something hard. I felt that way when I was doing Orange Theory. Wine messes with my sleep too. Maybe you can find a happy medium.

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Wed May 20, 2020 7:05 pm

That is great that you have kept up with your workouts! I know how hard that is to do for me. It's nice too with working out because it gives you a goal that is not weight related, but more about being stronger or faster.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu May 21, 2020 5:41 am

Alene: ive always wanted to try orange theory. Im not sure if they’re hard or if I'm just really out of shape! Yeah hopefully I can find a way to keep wine in my life!

Hippy: it is nice to have a non-scale goal. I mean if you’re fit and feel good, who cares what one weighs right?

Today was okay but just feeling a little overwhelmed for some reason. Rosebud is great but she’s just very needy at times and i guess im just craving a little alone time. Also, i made the mistake of checking on our 401k and im worried we wont have enough for retirement. I do this to myself every so often and just really stress myself out. What i have to remember is we have other assets like our rental property and home equity. Also, as morbid as it is to think about, we will probably get money from my mil’s estate at some point. Okay deep breath, i cant let this stress me out. I hate money worries.

I had an extra long window today and kind of overdid it. Oh well.

14/10
21.9%

Lunch: crackers with tuna, tortilla chips, tea
Snack: piece of banana bread, ramekin of chocolate chips
Dinner: Chipotle salad, chips & guacamole
Dessert: enlightened bar, handful of chocolate chips

Exercise: walked dogs

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Thu May 21, 2020 2:53 pm

Yes I have to keep that in mind for myself. Feeling good and being able to do lots of cool stuff with your body is worth more than the number on the scale. I know what you mean about needy kids and needing time for yourself. I have a pair of Bluetooth headphones that are invaluable to me right now. I go in my room and turn those on and the kids leave me alone... you know for a little bit. And I can't hear what they are doing out in the world.

I hope you get some alone time!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri May 22, 2020 4:13 pm

Thanks hippy yesterday was a little stressful but I did get in a workout at least.

I’ve been thinking a lot about the importance of having peace with food. That is really the beauty of NoS right? You put reasonable perimeters on eating and then get on with the rest of your life. Doing anymore than that is probably pretty miserable and unsustainable so why bother? With all my hard work getting my weight down to 153 lbs with IF, I just ended up right back where I started. Clearly it was unsustainable. It’s got me thinking a lot about just going back to something closer to vanilla NoS which is so much more sustainable & enjoyable. I like that with NoS you’re hungry enough at your meals to enjoy them, but not so hungry that you’re miserable. Lots to ponder! 🤔
Last edited by lpearlmom on Fri May 22, 2020 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Fri May 22, 2020 4:30 pm

I am in the exact same position. I have gotten down in the 150's several times by serious restriction and lots of hunger. But I can never stay there and I always end up back where I started or higher and unhealthier. I think I first found No S in 2010... TEN years ago! Where would I be if I had managed to stick to it? It's hard because its such a slow change on the scale, that is why I think it is important to focus on the habits and the feelings as a success, rather than the numbers. Definitely a lot to ponder.

Glad you got a work out in! :) I always feel better on the days I work out

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sun May 24, 2020 5:25 am

Yeah, i really have to fight my body to get below 160 for some reason. What’s crazy is in HS i would get frustrated because my weight would rarely go below 128 lbs. Oh what’d i give for that problem now. 🤦🏼‍♀️

Today I decided to go back to more of a nos approach and boy does it feel amazing. It was so nice to have some structure to my eating and to feel properly hungry for my meals. It was also nice not having to watch the clock waiting for my window to open. I love that i can have 3 plates anytime. I know it’s the weekend and technically i could have more than that but honestly S days did me in last time so i wont go that route this again.

Today i just felt so stressed out. I realize that i feel like it’s my job to keep everyone happy and it’s exhausting. Especially with everyone home now all the time too. I just get no breaks from my constant need to please. Im gonna have to work on that. I did finally get a little time for myself tonight when everyone was in their rooms. I fixed a little dessert plate & watched all the trashy tv i wanted. ☺️

I finished my 4 week interval series and feel really good about completing that. My knees hurt a little with the running but i just pushed through. Probably a bad idea? Maybe ill take a couple days off.

21.5 %

Brunch: 2 avocado toasts, small bowl of stirfry, a peach (i was hungry!)
Dinner: chana masala, naan, coconut water
Dessert: small piece of apple pie, Ice cream, a mini scone, blueberries (tiny portions of each)

Exercise: 32 mins walk-run-sprint plus weights; walked dogs

alene1

Post by alene1 » Sun May 24, 2020 3:15 pm

Linda, I'm so glad you enjoyed your day of eating! I hope you find your sweet spot soon. Good job finishing your 4 weeks! I start different rotations with my workouts, but most of the time I get bored and don't stick with what I have planned. I understand why you felt good completing it! I'm thinking about doing one of my Beachbody workout sets soon to give myself some structure and push myself a little harder.

I understand how you feel about being the one to make sure everyone is happy. It really isn't your job though. I can imagine during these times you feel it even more since they're always home. It's a very difficult time. Give yourself grace and trust that everything will work itself out. Kids also need to learn how to manage their own problems to some extent, so try giving them some space to do that. Hugs! Parenting is hard work.

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Sun May 24, 2020 5:02 pm

I know what you mean! I wish I had appreciated my body in highschool. Oh well...

That is so great that you are enjoying the structure of No S. It feels positively luxurious to eat 3 meals a day doesn't it? And yes! Not watching the clock for the window. I uninstalled my fasting app yesterday and it felt good. :) And being hungry for meals is great! I notice that its a lot easier to tell when I am satisfied and stop eating when I have had enough because I am not secretly starving after 20 hours of not eating.

Its a good realization to realize that you feel like it's your job to keep everyone happy. I totally understand that feeling! I am glad you were able to take some time just for yourself. I think for pleasers like us, its SOOOO important to disconnect from everyone periodically and take time to ourselves. I hope you can find more time for yourself today, you deserve it!

And yes! Speaking from experience, I would totally take a few days off if your knees hurt.

And Alene is right, sometimes we have to let others work it out for themselves. Easy to say, Hard to do I know. I hope you have a good less stressful day today!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon May 25, 2020 5:52 am

Thanks Alene for the kind words and encouragement. It’s definitely hard for me to let go of my desire to fix everything. Even when doc and one of the girls are having an issue, i feel like i have to be a mediator and it all just gets to be exhausting after awhile.

Hippie: luxurious is exactly how it feels. I think ill do the same with my fasting apps. I think with nos I usually get about a 12 hr fast in every day and thats plenty.

I did get some time to myself today while the girls were in their rooms & doc was at work. It was so nice! I cleaned the kitchen without interruption, i read for a little bit, went swimming and then took a shower. I really needed that!

It feels so good to no longer have that chaotic feeling with my eating. Sometimes it feels good to fast but not every day. I figure i can always just push back my breakfast on some days if i feel like it. . I notice the immediate benefit of not obsessing about food with NoS too. Why did i ever give this up? Oh yeah, my weight had plateaued. Well, i think having sanity with my eating is way more important. Im sure ill have those moments where im feeling fat and want to do something more drastic but i dont need to act on them.

166.7 lbs
22% body fat

Breakfast: avocado toast, fried egg, yogurt and fruit.
Snack: iced blended
Dinner: potato salad, cucumbers, red snapper, apple pie with ice cream, toast (would you believe i fit this all on one plate?) , margaritas

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Mon May 25, 2020 9:49 pm

Yes I am really enjoying the structure of eating 3 meals a day. Also without worrying about windows, I feel like my eating schedule is aligned closer to when I am hungry. I have to say the one good thing about fasting is it taught me what hunger really feels like, and that its nothing to fear. I think that helps. It is nice not to obsess about food. Flexibility is great to have too. I agree sanity about food IS more important. It sounds like you are doing great!

I am so glad that you got some time to yourself! It sounds like it was a much-needed recharge time for you.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue May 26, 2020 6:10 am

Thx hippie! Yeah i do like knowing that i can go 24+ hrs with no problem if i have to. I can remember the thought of not eating for an entire day as being unfathomable.

Today was good although I didn’t get much done. I think we’re all going a little stir crazy. As soon as this is over, we’re going to the fanciest restaurant we can afford. It’s confusing on what we can and cannot do. Seems like a lot of ppl are getting haircuts but that seems risky to me. My one friend saw a bunch of family members at once. Im still staying put but I really wish i could let sweetpea see her bf.

I cannot believe how big cupcake has gotten. Shes 5 lbs! Some days she’s a handful and has a bunch of accidents but today she was super chill. And she did not have a single accident. I hope there’s more of this to come. The hardest part is really our other dogs. She runs up to them and gets in their face & they do not like it. They growl and bark and tikka even bares her teeth at her. I hope they like her better when shes a bit calmer but we have to keep them separate as much as possible which is tricky. Oh well she’s such a doll & very much worth all the trouble.

166.1 lbs (yay!)
21.2%

Breakfast: oatmeal and toast with pb & banana
Lunch: large smoothie
Dinner: zucchini frittata, potatoes , Left over stir fry (tiny portions of ea)

Exercise: 22 min treadmill plus strengthing , walked dogs
Took it easy on exercise today to letmy knee rest. Also, dont want to burn myself out.

alene1

Post by alene1 » Tue May 26, 2020 2:04 pm

Linda, you should try and post a pic of your pup if you can. Would love to see her! I'm glad she's settling down and doing well. I'm missing going out to meals too, the experience. Take-out just isn't the same. I'm not sure when I'm going to be getting a hair cut either. I color my own and have cut it a few times since we've been in stay-home mode. It looks like things are going very well with your eating. Yay!

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Tue May 26, 2020 5:16 pm

I miss going out to eat so much! It is hard to know what is ok to do. I did see some article about a hairdresser that went to work with symptoms(turned out to be positive) and worked for about a week, potentially infecting every single one of her clients... so yikes, I don't want to do that just yet. It's not a hardship for me though, I have been growing my hair for ages, and its long enough that I can trim it myself or have my husband do it. But yes going out to eat... we are in phase 1 30% capacity in restaurants with masks etc... a lot of restaurants in our area have chosen not to open because they will lose money at 30% capacity and they are worried about not being able to enforce mask-wearing.

Yay for the scale going down, and good for you for resting your knee! I hope it is starting to feel better.

Sounds like Cupcake is doing great! I would love to see a picture too if you can! :)

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed May 27, 2020 4:42 am

D380245A-1A33-427B-B2AC-24A26ACA39B6.jpeg
D380245A-1A33-427B-B2AC-24A26ACA39B6.jpeg (59.67 KiB) Viewed 79554 times

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed May 27, 2020 4:47 am

0239063C-5239-4515-8673-22DF4521D1CE.jpeg
0239063C-5239-4515-8673-22DF4521D1CE.jpeg (38.18 KiB) Viewed 79554 times

Oh yay—it worked! Here’s all 3 of them in a row.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed May 27, 2020 5:57 am

Well theres my pups. ☺️

Yeah, I actually colored my hair for the first time in years and think it looks pretty good. Why have i been paying so much for someone else to do it? Im not desperate to get to the salon but i feel badly for my hair dresser and ive already postponed my appointment two times. I guess thats not a good reason to go though. Sigh

Today was good, I'm definitely not being as productive as id like it to be, but im trying. Kinda. It’s just so much more tempting to just sit on the couch and watch tv. Oh well im. Ot going to stress about it.

My eating felt great today. I feel more in control than i have in awhile. I think that just knowing i can have another meal in just a few hours relaxes me. It’s so much easier to get behind the idea of good habits rather than just the number on the scale.

Anyway so tired...

165.7 lbs (yay!)
21.2%

Break: avocado toast , pb & banana toast, peach
Lunch: crackers, cheese, fruit, iced tea with ost milk
Dinner: plate of thai food, coconut water

Exercise: 32 mins power walk on treadmill, planks & lunges; walked dogs twice!

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Wed May 27, 2020 4:10 pm

Oh so cute! Cupcake is adorable! She is so tiny compared to your other dogs! Your other Shih Tzu looks just like mine. Same color pattern.

I know what you mean about feeling more relaxed when you know you can eat in a few hours. Since I went back to 3 meals the scale has actually been going down even though I have been worried less about it, and I think its because we actually maybe eat a little less when we are not trying to prepare for not eating for long periods of time. Good habits for the win! :)

Sounds like you are doing so great with the exercise! That is really awesome, and if I could have one habit I would like to keep up, that would be it.

Enjoy the rest of your day!

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Thu May 28, 2020 2:49 pm

Hi Linda! Adorable pups! Will Cupcake actually get as big as Tessa at some point?! Not that Tessa is big, but little Cupcake (perfect name) is so tiny! Our Flowerpup is 40 pounds now, lol.

I really feel for your need to have some space from everybody. It's pretty cool that our journals here on this forum will forever document this crazy time and the difficulties faced by all of us.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/18-25.6; 8/18-24.5; 10/18-23.8;
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
6/20-22.5; 7/20-23.0; 9/20-23.6
4/21 - 25.2

alene1

Post by alene1 » Thu May 28, 2020 10:44 pm

Linda, your pups are the cutest!! Thanks for sharing with us. Cupcake is just a teeny little sweetie. :) I'm so glad you're feeling more relaxed about food. That is wonderful. I color my own hair too. I'm glad it worked out well. Maybe you can save a pretty penny!

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Fri May 29, 2020 2:12 am

Your dogs are so cute! My parents have a dog that is part Shih Tzu part Papillon, and he is the sweetest dog!
I hear you about how eating 3 meals is more relaxing! It’s nice to have that structure in place, and it’s nice not to have to wait too long to eat again.
Committing to a fresh start, with 3-4 plates and no snacking.

1/2018 Current BMI: 31.8
2/2018 BMI: 31.5
4/1/2018 BMI 31.5

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri May 29, 2020 5:15 am

Hippie: i know she’s tiny. Yes, I definitely feel like im eating less & worrying less is always a good thing!

Auto: No, Shes a miniature so will probably only get 2-3 lbs bigger (7-8 lbs total). Tessa is 20 lbs. i always thought of her as small but she seems so big now compared to cupcake. I know, its really amazing how much of our lives we’ve documented here. I keep thinking inshould print it out ir something at some point.

Alene: thank you! Yes, im saving about a $100 every 6 weeks or so! We’ve actually been saving a lot of money with the stay at home stuff. One upside for sure!

Heather; oh i bet thats a cute dog. Shihtzu really are such sweet dogs. Yeah it feels really good to have some structure and the certainty of regular meals again.

Thursdays is our busiest day Of the week. We get our Sunbasket deliveries along with any Instacart deliveries we have for the week. It’s also trash day, compost day & payday. Today we got Deliveries from costco, sprouts and petco all around the same time. Still so nice that I can do it all from home. I really dont miss Pre pandemic days of running around constantly and i dont think i can go back to that again.

166.6 lbs
21.4%

Break: oatmeal, yogurt, fruit
Linch: cheese, crackers, fruit, bar
Donner: sole, zucchini salad, toast, wine

Exercise: 2 dog walks

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Fri May 29, 2020 2:37 pm

That is interesting about Cupcake being a miniature! My Shih Tzu (her name is She-Ra.. yes after the cartoon. :D ) is only 7 or 8 pounds. I always notice when I go to other people's houses who have Shih Tzu's that they look so big compared to her. But, I wasn't told that she was a certain kind of Shih Tzu when I got her, just that she was small. So interesting!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat May 30, 2020 5:27 am

Love the name hippie! We were told she’s an imperial shihtzu and that they are smaller than normal. She was also the runt so may be extra small. Yours definitely sounds like She could be an imperial.

Speaking of dogs, i feel like we’ve finally turned a corner with cupcake. She’s hardly had any accidents in the last few days and has really mellowed out. She can just hang out with us now without having to be constantly attended to. I use her crate for sleeping but never went
through with the crate training. However she will happily stay on the lead leash tied up in the kitchen while i clean so im okay with it. Im just so happy she’s getting to be more manageable.

Next week is when the first goal for DietBet is supposed to be made. Ive already made it but you have to take a pic of yourself on the scale and with clothes and my phone it adds a good 2 lbs. so really i need to be 2 lbs below 166.7 lbs. Hopefully ill make it.

165.6 lbs
21.2%

Break: berry smoothie
Linch: small plate of leftover thai, cherries
Dinner: spicy shrimp and cucumber salad, wine, small ramekin of yogurt & fruit

Exercise: 34 mins of power walking, squats, planks, lunges; 2 dog walks

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sat May 30, 2020 2:25 pm

That leash thing in the kitchen is called "tethering" and all the really great trainers do it. :-) Ha ha I'm just sort of kidding, but it is pretty cool that you can get her to chill near you like that but not have to worry about her.

She-Ra!!! Of course the animal lover me adored her Pegasus in that show!!

OK, that picture plan is an inspiration for me. I think I need to take a pic of myself today. I keep being so confused about what's going on with my body right now - my measurements seem pretty much the same but I feel like I look flabbier but then that could be all psychological. I think maybe a pic a month would be a great plan for me.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

alene1

Post by alene1 » Sat May 30, 2020 5:21 pm

I'm glad that Cupcake is really settling down. I'm sure it makes life much more pleasant and manageable! Ooh, cherries sound good! I may need to get some this week.

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Sun May 31, 2020 12:26 am

Interesting! I wonder if she is imperial. I know she also was the smallest one in her litter. I originally named her Peaches and quickly realized she needed a MUCH feistier name! hahah.

Auto, Good Ol' Swift Wind! I can't get my girls to watch the old She-ra, but I have at least one season on DVD. :D

I am so glad that things are getting better with cupcake. I also used to tie my puppy to the kitchen table leg while I was busy in the kitchen. It really helps to keep an eye on them!

Oh man! I didn't think about having to take a pic with clothes for the scale to have the correct amount. That is kind of tricky.

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Sun May 31, 2020 7:15 pm

Aww! I’m glad Cupcake is settling down. Good luck with the Diet Bet!

4/1/2018 BMI 31.5

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:47 am

Auto: cool, it has an official name. I think taking pics is key especially when you’re doing so much exercise. The scale doesn’t tell the whole story. I love those pics of ppl who have before and after pics at the same weight usually after intermittent fasting and/or exercising for awhile. Even though they’re the same weight, they look 10-15 lbs less.

Thanks alene! Love cherries especially rainier cherries.

Hippie: that’s cute about her name. Aren’t dogs the best? My girls keep telling me how happy they are that we got cupcake so I definitely feel like i made the right decision in getting her. She’s really part of the family now. I think i might have doc take my pic so i don't have to hold my big ol iphone. That should help.

Thanks heather!

Omgosh, what a crazy time. I wish i could join a peaceful protest but it just feels too risky right now. Az has an 8 pm curfew. Was really odd having to cut our evening walk short to make it home in time. I hope everyone is safe.

Poor sweetpea broke up with her bf last night. She was really upset last night but seems okay today. Honestly maybe it’s for the best. She’s been moping around because she cant see him but today she seemed motivated to be productive. Actually she seemed less depressed too.

I stuck to 3 plates this weekend but ate bigger portions and heavier food than normal. Thays what the weekends are for though. Hopefully my weight isnt too high tomorrow. I will have to work hard to make my goal on Thursday but i think ill make it. Its motivating at least. I don't like to lose. ☺️

Break: banana bread, granola bar, cherries
Lunch: veggie hot dog columbian style, fries, iced tea
Dinner: veg burger, chips, apple
Dessert: chocolate chips

2 dog walks

So tired but will catch up on everyone’s thread tomorrow!

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:07 pm

I am so glad that cupcake feels like part of the family now! I think puppies are a lot of work but after they settle in, it is so rewarding.

Yes it is a crazy time. I stayed off social media all weekend and when I got on... it was insane. And I made the mistake of checking on it before bed. A peaceful protest would be great, but I agree it feels too risky. I don't think we have a curfew here, our one local protest was small and stayed peaceful.

poor sweetpea, but I am glad she seems less depressed. Maybe its a relief to have things over with and settled?

That's great that you stuck to 3 plates! Good idea to have doc take your picture, iPhones definitely would add some weight.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:12 am

Yeah im not sure but sweetpea seems much happier. Her bf originally broke up with her but then tried to get back with her the next day. She told him no that she felt they should at least take a couple weeks off and then see how they’re feeling at that point. Im really proud of her for making such a mature choice.

I went back and looked at my weight for the last few years and noticed after my initial big weight loss that it really mostly stayed between 160-170. There were times it went as high as 180 and as low as 150 but not for long. I guess my body just really likes it there. Not sure i can realistically maintain anything below 160 for any length of time but we shall see.

Breakfast: tropical smoothie
Dinner: black eyed pea tostados, wine
Dessert: 2 apples, 1/2 core bar

Exercise: 2 dog walks; 30 mim walk-run intervals.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:57 am

Oh gosh i ate a lot today although i did technically stick to 3 plates I think i ate partly from my scale frustrations. I just dont think im going to make my goal this week. Maybe the DietBet is stressing me out too much. I feel like im never going to get below 160 again. I mean it seems like no matter what i do i end up smack dab in the 160s. I just have to hang in there. Im doing food with my exercise and im sticking to my plan so thats all i can really do right? I think thats all im willimg yo do at this point so why stress about it?

21.2%

Break: oatmeal, toast, apple, sf/nf hot cocoa
Lunch: tostado, iced tea
Dinner: tofu stir fry, rice, wine, Almond butter bar, sf hot cocoa

Mostly I overdid it with the drinks.

Exercise: 30 mins walk/run; 2 dog walks

alene1

Post by alene1 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:14 pm

Linda, sorry the weight isn't cooperating for you. I kind of like the concept of the diet bet, but I have found my mind doesn't really work that way when it comes to my weight. It's a more personal and private thing that I work on internally. Your body may just really like that weight range and you might find a lot more peace and contentment to accept it and be happy! :)

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:56 pm

Linda, think it sounds like you know what you are willing to do right now. 3 plates of food and exercise right? That sounds great! That is probably better than other things you have done in the past and if you are able to do this, it is still living a healthier lifestyle regardless of the scale. I understand about the scale being stuck. At those times I think habit focusing as victory is even more important. I know last time I left No S I was upset because I was stuck in the mid 160's and then I went off and gained almost 20 pounds and was looking longingly back at the mid 160's and wondering why I ever left No S. I think it can definitely be a matter of perspective.

In looking at your habits, I think you are doing great!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:56 am

Alene: yeah, i ended up deleting it. Just not working for me right now especially with my weight being so stubborn. Oh well, sometimes you just gotta try a few things before finding what works.

Hippie: yeah, i just want to stick to my plan right now and think of it as an experiment. I gotta give it some time before deciding if its going to work.

Oh boy, frustrating couple of days. Even though ive been consistently exercising and sticking to my plan my weight just wont budge. I was feeling depressed and irritable today and trying to figure out what was wrong. I finally realized it felt like pms. I haven’t had my period in 150 days so i kinda didnt make the connection at first. Im guessing that could be part of the issue with my weight. I still havent gotten my period but something hormonal is definitely going on. I just need to stick to my good habits and eventually itll pay off.

I haven’t been eating breakfast till like noin most days because i like to wait tilli exercise before eating otherwise it messes with my digestion. Even waiting that long i still havent really been hungry for that first meal. Of course i eat anyway . Not sure what’s going on.

21%

Breakfast: yogurt, granola , fruit, nuts, icedtea
Dinner: salmon, fennel & orange salad, 2 pieces of Lavender chocolate , wine

Exercise: 30 mins walk/run; 2 dog walks

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:30 pm

Im so sorry, I know how frustrating it is when the scale stays the same. It does sound like it could be hormonal. My weight seems to always get stuck around period time for a while. Just remember these habits will pay off for a lifetime and the scale doesn't always show everything, especially if you are working out and building (and tearing down and repairing) muscle. I know in the fasting groups on fb they often have pictures of women who look much more fit and like they have lost weight, versus their before and after picture yet their weight is exactly the same. Weight is only one measurement of our health.

But believe me, I hear you about the scale frustration! Big hugs.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:28 am

Thank you hippie. I know my fat percentage has been slowly going down so maybe that’s part of the issue. We had a 6 ft apart backyard bbq by the pool with our neighbors and boy did I eat a lot ! Food was so yummy though. Not sure i i should weigh tomorrow or not.

167.7 lbs
20.9% fat

Break: bran muffin, sf mocha
Dinner: fish kebabs, shrimp, couscous, kale salad, watermelon margaritas, wine
Dessert: rosemary chocolate chip cookies, ice cream

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:55 pm

True! Bodyfat is going down so that is exactly what you want.

Barbecue sounds delicious!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:08 am

Thx hippie—hope so!

Ugh, ate ridiculous amounts of food. But I gave myself permission and promised no guilt allowed. Just really looking forward to getting back to normal tomorrow.

I’m sure my weight is going to up like 5 lbs in the morning. Oh well.

Ate-chocolate chips, shrimp, chips & guacamole, leftover fish, leftover veggies, more chocolate, ice cream, cookies, more chocolate. 🤢

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:29 am

Ooh! Chocolate sounds good! As long as you get back on track tomorrow, I’m sure you’ll be fine. 😀

4/1/2018 BMI 31.5

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:34 am

Thx heather. I didn’t really get back on track till today. Ugh, felt so icky to Overeat like that for the last couple of days. I actually did a 20 hr fast just because my body needed a break from eating so much. It definitely felt really good.

Having a rough time with my girls. I actually caught sweetpea trying to sneak her bf (who i thought was her ex-bf) into her room the other night. I made him leave immediately and said I didn’t care how he got home.

Falling asleep. Will finish tomorrow.

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:40 am

Linda, I had to laugh at the tale of Sweetpea's boyfriend. And blush with embarrassment as I rembered some of the things I did when young.
I hope you enjoyed the chocolate at the time.
Three meals a day - not too little not too much, but just right

alene1

Post by alene1 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:16 pm

It sounds like some rough days Linda! You are righting the ship and moving on. Dealing with teenagers is no joke! I snuck my boyfriend into my room too. :wink: Sending you a big hug.

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:10 pm

Hey Linda! As the mom of a teen girl I really commiserate. Why are they so hard!?

I am glad your 20 hour fast helped reset and help you feel better. I find that if I have days of eating mindlessly or too much, that helps me too, especially because I am actually not that hungry.

I hope you have a better day today!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:18 am

Thanks for the support alene, lady and hippie! I guess it’s a pretty common teen move. Just upsetting because she didnt tell me they were back together and She’s not supposed to be seeing him at all during the covid crisis. I was really mad at first but the. I thought about how hard its been for her not to have seen him all this time. I didnt even tell doc about it but made it very clear this cannot happen again.

Then i took rosebud to her therapy appointment and she told me Rosebud was depressed. She said she really needs some social,activiy. So I agreed to let her friend come over If they maintained social distance. They can spend time in the pool and i might let them play video games since they can sit on separate couches. Im just having a really hard time trying to deal with everyone around me going back to basically normal when i keep watching Arizonas numbers going higher. I just wish everyone would just stay put but i guess we have to consider mental health too.

I did 19/5 again today and honestly it felt great. It’s just so much easier in a lot of ways. I just like not having to think about eating for a good part of the day. Then when I do eat, im able to eat pretty intuitively and without guilt. I may not lose weight with this schedule but im pretty sure i wont gain weight either. We shall see if I continue to enjoy it.

19/5

Snack (230): blueberries, nectarine, cheese & crackers
Dinner: scallops and green beans; rice, wine
Dessert: 2 squares lavender chocolate

Exercise: 30 min jog/walk, dog walk

Im doing a 6 week beginner running course in Portugal (virtually) and really loving it. I even ordered new running shoes

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:30 am

Another emotional day. I made reservations at a high end restaurant for the end of june. I was hoping it’d give us all something to look forward to as we havent eaten in a restaurant since like march. It sounds like they’re being v careful.

Anyway i told sweetpea her and rosebud need to be at least talking by then but she got mad at me saying they needed to work this out on their own timeline. She actually just left me with all 3 dogs in the middle of a walk and went home. Sigh. I mean i can see her point but i dont like how she handled it. Then she texted rosebud “we need to talk” and rosebud is livid that sweetpea is treating her like she has some authority over her. 🤦🏼‍♀️ Sometimes i just want to run away. Theyre really making me crazy. And rosebud is bored out of her mind and i feel like she’s blaming it all on me. As if I started the Pandemic or something.

Anyway, enough of that. At least cupcake is doing well. She’s sleeping through the night In the girls beds and i know they love snuggling with her. Shes almost potty trained and is getting along slightly better with the other pups. She’s never been left alone though And i have no idea what we’re going to do when we go to dinner since we never did crate train her. ☺️

I did 19/5 again today and am really enjoying that right now. When i look at all my options for managing my eating, that really is at the top of my list. I realized if i do that i dont have to weigh myself because it’s unlikely that ill gain any weight with that schedule. I also dont have to count anything or overthink my eating. It’s not always easy but none of the options are easy so going to do this till I don’t.

19 5

Lunch: bean burrito, bran muffin, nectarine, sf mocha
Dinner: small piece of salmon , small salad, glass wine
Dessert: handful of chocolate chips, 2 squares of Hu chocolate

Exercise: 33 min walk/run , 2 dog walks (30 mins ea)

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:33 pm

I loved this entry. Linda - it's time for you to write a book. Something about dieting, motherhood, and pandemics.
And rosebud is bored out of her mind and i feel like she’s blaming it all on me. As if I started the Pandemic or something.
Where did you find the virus? :-)
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:30 pm

Sounds like you are figuring out something that works for you right now and that is awesome. I like the freedom of 19/5 too. It is a lot less thinking about food and what to eat, which I think is one of its major strengths. ANd its true, none of the options are easy, I think you just have to pick the one that is easiest for you, and it sounds like fasting is the one.

Man! I am sorry to hear your trials and travails with your girls. I know how tough teen girls can be. I want to run away sometimes and I only have one!

That is great that cupcake is doing great! One less thing on your plate.

Thats exciting that you have eating at a restaurant to look forward to! I miss going out to eat a lot too.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:11 am

I know, right auto? Awww thanks, i would love to write a book about all this craziness. Not sure i have the discipline though but would be cool. ☺️

Hippie: thanks for the support. I would love just a weekend away! Yes, 19/5 is feeling good right now. It’s short enough of a window to feel like i cant go too crazy but long enough as not feel too restrictive. That’s the schedule I originally had & really enjoyed it. Of course i wasn’t losing weight fast enough and had to push myself towards longer and longer fasts which eventually backfired on me Hopefully, i will continue to enjoy it.

One thing for sure is im really enjoying not being a slave to the scale. I realized that if i stick to 19/5 and im exercising 4-5 times a week, it’s pretty unlikely i will gain weight and i might even lose a little. So im not weighing and i feel great.

Well, the drama continues. Rosebud and i got in a huge argument today and she ended up getting her electronics taken away. Im really struggling to feel like a good mom lately. It feels like our family is falling apart and i feel like a failure. I find myself comparing myself to my sister and coming up short.i hate that my feelings of inadequacy have carried over into adulthood. I just cant escape the pain of feeling like i dont measure up. She has a perfect life with perfect children and perfect friends living in a perfect house. I know that sounds crazy but that’s really how i feel about her life. On the other hand, I wouldn’t want her life but its still hard not to feel like a failure next to her.

Okay, i need to snap out of this.

19/5
Snack: chips & guacamole, yogurt parfait
Dinner: tempeh pita pockets, margarita
Dessert: handful chocolate chips

Walked dogs 🐶

alene1

Post by alene1 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:13 pm

Linda, I'm sorry you're feeling inadequate and like things are falling apart. They're not. This is just a blip, and life will go on. There is so much going on at this time for all of us, including our children. Things will settle. I know it really sucks though. The teen years are super hard at times. Just know that when you get through it your relationship with your children will be so much nicer and you can just enjoy them as people instead of needing to parent them. If I could go back now I think I would try and nag less and interfere less with things that I didn't agree with or how I thought they should be done. It damaged my relationship with my son as he just didn't want to spend time with me very much. With my youngest I was more go with the flow and it paid off for us. Every child and every dynamic is different though. Big hugs to you! It's not easy.

I'm glad you're enjoying your window and freedom from the scale. Sounds like a perfect spot for you.

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:57 pm

Hmm I think something about teenagers really makes us feel like failures. I am not sure what it is, but I can really relate. I don't have a sister to compare myself to, but if I did I am sure I would feel the same way. I have a real issue with comparing myself to others and coming up lacking in my own mind. I didn't even realize how bad it was until all my classes moved to online and I couldn't compare myself to other students anymore. I felt so much better about myself and my abilities. You are not a failure! Parenting is hard work! Really hard work. Also parenting right now in the midst of a global pandemic adds a whole other stress level that I think sometimes we aren't consciously aware of but it still affects us.

Anyway, no advice, just empathy and long-distance hugs.

I am glad you have found your sweet spot with 19/5 and exercise. It sounds like a great plan and not checking the scale and being free of it sounds like a really great way to be more patient with yourself and take care of yourself the way you need to. Not pushing it with longer fasts. I know how that goes and it does seem to backfire often.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:28 pm

Well, I certainly don't enjoy my teenager. :shock: I don't actually like him, at all. So you can compare yourself with me and feel good. :-) 8) :lol: MY SISTER just told me this morning that she FLIPPED OFF her teenage daughter. You are not alone, and I have a feeling your family is far more functional than most!
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

Jen1974

Post by Jen1974 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:35 pm

My teenagers can make me feel like a terrible mom :lol: I’m pretty sure my daughter would trade me strait up for her best friend’s mom who is the perfect pinterest mom. Meanwhile they are never allowed to hang out over there so they don’t mess up the perfect pinterest house & my daughter is embarrassed when friends are over & there’s a few dishes in the sink here :lol:

We all feel like we fall short when we compare ourselves to others but none of us is actually doing as good as it looks from the outside looking in!!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:41 pm

Thank you Alene, hippie, auto and Jen! This group is so supportive. Your response made me cry and laugh (auto😄) and definitely felt much better knowing I’m not alone. I really don’t know what I’d do with out you all. 💜

Well Rosebud ended up apologizing to me which is pretty rare for her so I feel like she’s actually maturing. Maybe I’m not such an awful mom after all? I’m Just so happy We’ve made up as I just had a knot in my stomach all day.

Well I have to go to a 6ft apart coffee date (adult time—yay!!) but wanted to thank everyone for their kindness.

alene1

Post by alene1 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:42 pm

Yay! I'm so glad that Rosebud apologized. A light at the end of the tunnel! :)

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:16 pm

Auto yes I definitely have days of not liking my teenager. I will always love her but enjoy her company? MMM no not always.
\
Linda that is great that Rosebud apologized! I am so glad that you made up. I hate conflict as well, even though I know that conflict can be healthy and helps us work things out.

I hope you had a good coffee date!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:40 am

Haven’t posted in a few days but hanging in there. The girls got into a fight on Wednesday night and things have been a bit tense. Luckily, they both had a therapy session the following day and she was able to calm them down a bit. I can’t tell you how much i love their therapist. She is really good at what she does and agreed to see them both at the same time next week. We are going to dinner next weekend so she’s going to focus on setting some ground rules for that. I think it’s going to take a lot of work to get their relationship to a good place but i think they can eventually get there.

Im sure my parenting will have to change a bit too. She said that i need to stop letting them put me in the middle and that they manipulate me (they do for sure). They both play off my feelings of guilt over making one feel more loved than the other. She basically said theyre both extremely bright and strong women and that we just need to channel that intensity in the right direction. I love that.

Im still doing 19/5 most days and its going well. Im also doing my treadmill workouts about 5 days a week and loving it. Im up to running 4 mins, and walking 1 min for a total of 30 mims. I haven’t weighed and it’s nice not to be a slave to the scale. I feel like i might be losinga little weight just very slowly and thats fine by me.

19/5
Snack: yogurt, fruit, granola, chocolate chips , chips & salsa
Dinner: mushroom tostados, coconut water

Exercise: 33 mins run/walk, 30 min dog walk

Oh we took cupcake to the dog park and she did great! 🐶

April

Post by April » Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:04 pm

Hello Linda! I have not followed your entire thread but found a comment on lifeisablessings page and really love this phrase at the end of your posts:
Put in reasonable, sustainable perimeters on your eating and exercise and then get on with the rest of your life.
What a great reminder to not let our weight loss plan consume our thoughts and lives! It has been a struggle for me as it is always in the forefront of my mind!

I too have been a mom to a teen (he is in college now). I feel your frustrations, it is a very hard job, and my bff has a girl in HS as well, it appears girls are a lot more challenging!

I am glad IF is working for you. I tried it for a good stretch but am now back on lifeisablessings NO S mod which for now seems a better fit.
April

"Take the first step in faith. You don't have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step.”
- Martin Luther King, Jr.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:06 pm

Linda, I love your therapist too! She sounds great and I am SOOOO glad you have her support.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:49 pm

Stopping in to say hi. Ooo, all you parents of teens. I used to have them in class for 20 years. I feel for ya! Been retired for a year and a half; sometimes the education system or the like will come up in conversations and I will shudder and be so glad I don't have to try to solve those problems anymore. And I will admit there were definitely kids I did not like. But there are a lot of adults I don't like, either. I'm an equal opportunity disliker.

I'm not sure I know anyone who feels really close to any siblings. Not to discourage your hopes for the girls. But it seems true across a fair number of parenting styles.

If I am repeating myself, I apologize, but did I tell you before C19, I had a tentative plan to come to AZ, probably Phoenix, and offer to take people to the polls? I'm not much involved now, except with donations because I tend to think it's what happens in the last quarter that wins the game, but I figured next fall I'd check in with the Democratic party and see if they thought that was a helpful plan. I want to be efficient with my efforts. Someone suggested that if I was afraid to travel and be exposed, being a senior citizen, I could donate money I would have spent for travel and lodging and designate it for Uber rides or something. What is happening with mail-in ballots there? Are you up on that stuff or have you backed off?

Happy eating and moving!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:13 pm

Im so glad your girls have the resource of such a good therapist! That is awesome that she will see them both at the same time, and its awesome that she can tell you that they are trying to make you feel guilty and that you they need to channel that energy into a positive place. So awesome!

I am glad 19/5 has been working so well for you! This past week I sort of fell into 17/7 and 18/6 by waiting until I was hungry for breakfast. It is nice to have eating confined to a smaller time. I notice my blood sugar seems to do much better with that as well.

That is also great about your runningl! It is so awesome to be able to have a goal that you can work towards in fitness.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:49 pm

Been a bit since ive checked in but hanging in there. Thanks for stopping by oolala! I have faith my girls will work this out and get along in adulthood. I think ive read that more than half of siblings have a good relationship as adults. Im definitely a glass half full kind of girl. It’s going to take them some time but with the help of their therapist, im confident theyll get there. I’ve stepped way back from politics but will hopefully jump back in if/when the girls return to school. We have several wonderful groups from California that are helping us with the upcoming elections but not sure what they’ll be doing during covid times. Im guessing lots of phone banking and postcard writing. Donations are always needed especially for smaller candidates like Kathy Knecht. Mark Kelly has gotten a ton of money and has an excellent chance of winning. We will appreciate any and all help! 🙏

Thanks for the support hippie! Im surprising myself by enjoying the running. Even though I was in cross country In hs and rowing (which involved a lot of running for training) I cant say i ever enjoyed it that much. But this slow approach is really fun for me.

Let’s see where to start. The girls finally spoke but it was only to get into another fight. Sweetpea was not so sweet and had two horrible episodes of anger directed at me. Then i found out that she wasn’t taking her meds so that’s upsetting. I told her therapist and she told sweetpea that she cannot continue to see her if she doesn’t take her meds. She’s started taking them again and hopefully will continue.

We have had this high end restaurant experience with them planned for awhile & i had a lot of anxiety about it. I couldn’t really cancel it though because we had to prepay and there are no refunds. So the therapist had a two hr session with them and laid some ground rules for the dinner. Surprisingly though, they still weren’t talking. Well we went to the dinner last night and had an amazing time. I did feel very safe and the food was some of the best I’ve ever eaten. The service and atmosphere were equally as good too. And..they girls did great! They were respectful of each other and even spoke to each other a little bit. Im so happy things went so well and am very very proud of both of them. Rosebud even toned things down when I jokingly told her she was having a lot of sass. She tends to kind of go into comedian mode when we are in public and sometimes she pushes it too far but she took the clue from me amd backed it down.

My weight on the other hand is not so great. I finally weighed this morning and it was 171.8 🤦🏼‍♀️ Weirdly ive been feeling really good though and still fit in all my clothes so maybe its a bit of muscle from the running? Well also i did eat like a ten course meal with wine pairing so probably will go back down a couple pounds in a few days. Either way, not weighing doesn’t seem to work well for me but I don’t want to weigh daily. Maybe just a couple times a week.

I have been continuing with my interval traing 5x a week so super proud of that. The other day the challenge was two 12 min runs followed by 2 mins of walking and then a 5 min run followed by a 4 min cool down. I was super nervous but completed it! I was surprised at how emotional it made me. I actually felt myself tear up a bit afterwards. It’s just been awhile since ive done something really challenging i think. ☺️

Anyway back on track with my eating today. Ive been sticking to my fast but then doing a lot of late night munching which im sure isn’t helping. Hopefully i can get back down to the low 160s again.

Off to read everyone’s threads!

Forgot I could add pics now. Here’s a couple from the dinner.
Attachments
310E7AD3-D5AC-447B-8C55-D4B3DFB3B815.jpeg
310E7AD3-D5AC-447B-8C55-D4B3DFB3B815.jpeg (22.49 KiB) Viewed 78696 times
2BF3FC89-258D-4CDA-A7E9-A7BBC280250A.jpeg
2BF3FC89-258D-4CDA-A7E9-A7BBC280250A.jpeg (24.61 KiB) Viewed 78696 times
Last edited by lpearlmom on Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:48 pm

The dinner sounds so special and I am just thrilled that your girls were civil to each other during the meal! What a victory! I think it might show that they both love YOU so much that they were willing to be at peace for an evening because they knew how much the outing meant to you.

Your description of your interval training really inspired me!!! I believe very much in doing some sprints each week, but I don't ever seem to make it a consistent part of my workouts.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:11 pm

Hi, Linda!

I’m very glad your dinner went well, and I’m glad you’re enjoying your interval training! If your clothes are still fitting you well, then I would guess you have gained some muscle. I’m with you on weighing. Daily weighing stresses me out, but if I go for long periods without weighing myself, I tend to get off track. I may experiment with weighing 3 times a week, or maybe twice a week.

4/1/2018 BMI 31.5

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:24 pm

Hi Linda! I am glad things are going a little better for you and for sweetpea and rosebud. Your dinner sounds wonderful!

I am glad you discovered that sweetpea wasn't taking her meds and that her therapist supports that. I hope she keeps taking them.

Did you say you weighed yourself the next day after your meal at a restaurant? It would make sense that your weight would be higher. My weight is always higher after restaurant meals. It sounds like you are really taking care of yourself with the exercise and feeling good, so I think that is one of the best metrics of success right now. Your interval sounds amazing! Wow, I am in awe that you can do that.

I hope you have a great Monday!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:18 am

Hi heather, yeah i hope so. My stupid fat % thing on my scale suddenly stopped working so i have no idea. i think 2-3x a week is probably a good happy medium. My friend says she only weighs herself on those days when she’s feeling lighter & avoids weighing on days following a big eating day. That way shes able to keep her confidence up & stay motivated. I may try that.

Auto, yes im so glad they care about us enough to put their feelings aside for a night. It was so nice to be a family again. We had some great conversation & was nice just to laugh together. I love sprinting and usually try to sprint the last minute or so of my workout. It really gets those endorphins going.

Today was fine but omg do i need some alone time. I would love a couple hrs in an empty house but that probably won’t happen for awhile. I swear i just want to do the dishes in peace while listening to my book but as soon as one person left, another person came in. Of course I don’t want to be rude & tell them to get out. Maybe ill go for a long drive tomorrow or something.

I had a weird realization today that i really need/want to lose more weight. I think I convinced myself that i was okay at this weight but I don’t think I really am okay with it. I thought about what weight id honestly feel completely happy with and i came up with 123 lbs. That’s 47 lbs less than i weigh now! I mean I haven’t weighed that since my 20s so don’t know if it’s even possible, but clearly i need to do better. I think the feeling i had today was similar to when i finally realized i wasnt as okay as i told myself weighing 210 lbs. Really it was seeing a horrible photo of me. It’s always a photo that seems to wake ppl up.

Anyway, i dont know that i can actually do some about it, but im not ready to give up just yet.

170.4 lbs

Break: sf mocha
Dinner: stir fry veggies with halibut
Dessert: fruit salad and a slice of banana bread

Exercise: run 5 mins/walk 1 min for total of 33 mins, walked dogs
Last edited by lpearlmom on Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:28 am

Nothing exciting to report.

168 lbs
21.1% ( working again).

Break: sf “mocha”
Lunch: small smoothie
Dinner: shrimp curry, glass of wine 🍷
Dessert: lots of grapes

Exercise: 15 min run, 2 min walk, 10 min run, cool down
Was very challenging especially since a lot of it was on a 6-15 incline, but i did it!

Larkspur

Post by Larkspur » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:45 pm

How do you make your sf mocha, Linda? I use half and half and a big spoon of ovaltine, so definitely not sf.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:19 pm

Hi lark, I use unsweetened cocoa powder, monk fruit sweetener , and a little almond milk. I can’t have caffeine so use Pero which is a dried coffee substitute. So all of it is fake but it’s so good! 😊

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:08 pm

Hi Linda!

Congratulations on the scale moving down. I know earlier you said you didn't really have your "why" for weight loss. Do you think you discovered it? I think sometimes it's hard to reach weight loss goals when we don't have our why.

Also, I hear you on wanting to run away and get some peace! Could you hide in the backyard like I did yesterday? :D Sometimes it is completely necessary for us to get away for even a few minutes! Or maybe take a bath and lock the bathroom door?

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:58 am

Thanks hippie! Yes, you hit the nail on the head. I really spent some time thinking about my why & just got really honest with myself. What i realized was i cannot be at this weight AND be completely happy. I also realized that im unable to fully be happy for others when im not completely happy with myself and i hate that. So i figure i owe it to myself to give it another shot.

Things are going pretty well & I was able to get a little quiet time while the girls retreated to their rooms. It was so nice. I cleaned up enough to relieve my stress and then laid down for a little bit.

Sweetpea had her med check today & got an official diagnosis of bipolar. She took it better than i thought she would. It’s kind of a relief to have an answer.

I went on a little online shopping spree last night buying stuff i don't really need and realized ive been doing that way too much lately. Im going to try to write down my spending other than essentials to try make a little more aware of my spending.

Im feeling a little sick today & of course you know where my brain goes. AZ is a hotspot right now so it’s a little scary. I think we need to hunker down again. :/

Spending: clinique $60

166.1 lbs
21.4%

Breakfast: sf mocha
Dinner: chickpea, salmon & seared romaine salad, wine
Dessert: watermelon & handful of chocolate

Exercise: walk 1 min/run 5 min x 4 ; walked dogs

Octavia

Post by Octavia » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:58 am

Hello dear Linda! I’ve just returned to No S after a few months where it all ‘went to pot’ and I couldn’t figure out how to get any sort of willpower going. My compulsion to just have what I want when I want it became too strong. But after reading a couple of helpful books, I seem to have sort of galvanised myself again. So I wanted to check in with you and send greetings from Surrey. I hope you’re well. I was so worried that I’d come back to No S and find that all my buddies had moved on! Quite a terrifying thought. :shock: I’m so glad you’re still here.

I was sorry to read that your lovely sweetpea has been diagnosed with bipolar - and yet as you say, it’s a good thing to have a diagnosis. I hope she gets all the help she needs. Great to hear that she took the news well - maybe it’s a relief to know what’s wrong, and perhaps to be able to find other young women who are living with the condition. And with you as her mum, I’m sure she will never feel alone with her thoughts.

Isn’t it tricky, to really figure out our motivation for controlling our weight - our big ‘why’? I’ve been struggling with this so much and it’s partly why I lost all my willpower. I said this years ago, but I still suspect it’s true, (and I wish I could have the courage of my own convictions) - that for me, vanity is a good and valid motivator. It’s the only one that really will stop me bunging the cake in my mouth. Even then, motivation waxes and wains. But with No S being so moderate, a thought popped up the other day: ‘I might as well!’ which felt quite powerful as a ‘Why’. I thought, No S is simple, it fits in with everyday life, you can have treats at weekends, you don’t have to cook anything special...and you get to lose a bit of weight. This slightly passive and lazy ‘Why’ really appealed to me! I might use it as my signature, though it might not make sense...

Anyway I’ve hijacked your thread, apologies, but I feel so excited to be back. :)

Let me know if you find a magical Why.

Take care! X

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:24 pm

Just stopping by to say hello to one of my favorite people.

Wishing Sweetpea well now that you have a diagnosis.

Bless you and yours.

:wink:
Berry

alene1

Post by alene1 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:32 pm

Linda, I'm glad you were able to get some quiet time yesterday. I don't know how I did it when my kids were little! I need and crave a good amount of quiet time. I'm also glad you have a diagnosis now and can move forward with that information. Big hugs to you as I know it must be very challenging.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:10 am

Octavia, so great to see you back! I take breaks now & then but always come back. Posting is just so helpful to me and i love stay up on everyone’s journey. Motivation can be tricky especially when ive got plenty of ppl who seem to like me just the way that i am & ive got no major weight related health issues. But really just being really honest with myself about what It would really take to feel completely good about myself was kind of an aha moment for me. I could sit there and dissect all the reasons i need to be a certain weight to be happy or i could try to talk myself out of wanting that. But the truth is, Ive tried both those routes for many years and yet my desire remains as strong as ever even if it’s been buried for awhile. Maybe that is just where my body is at it’s optimal? Idk, but admitting the truth about what i want has been very freeing. Anyway, wb! ☺️

Strawberry 🍓—so good to see you and thanks for stopping by! Hope you’ll catch us up on how you’re doing!

Alene: im the same way. It’s definitely challenging. I did try to remind myself how lucky i was that my kids still want to spend time with me but it seems like either a human or dog is wanting something from me every second of the day. I feel a little badly for doc because i got a little snippy with him today It’s his bday Sunday so I better be nice to him! ☺️

Sweetpea is doing so well now that she’s taking her meds. It’s like night & day. She actually hot up early and worked out the other morning. She never works out. I guess she’s lucky that she has a good metabolism and barely weighs 100 lbs wet. Exercise is so good for her stress though. She even applied for a job and has an interview sunday.

I let Rosebud have a friend over today although they did social distance as best they could. I just knew she really needed it for her mental health. Its her bff and they had so much fun. We made her cake and ordered pizza for her birthday. She’s the first one besides the 4 of us to enter our house since march. Kinda insane.

Okay need sleep

Breakfast: sf mocha
Dinner:couple pieces sushi , few bites of pad thai, margarita
Dessert: watermelon, tiny piece of strawberry cake (omg good)

alene1

Post by alene1 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:32 pm

Oh, such good news about Sweetpea! I'm so happy for her, and your whole family. I'm sure Rosebud was in heaven having a friend over. I truly believe you're right that we need people and social time to thrive.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:26 pm

Happy Birthday to Doc!
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:03 am

Linda, if you really think you cannot be happy unless you are at a lower weight, then I send you strength vibes because it's going to take some kind of precision eating enough less of dense food. It's shocking how little food some bodies need for it to do its thing of pulling out fat stores. Hope it feels like enough!
Last edited by oolala53 on Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:53 pm

Youre right oolala and I’ve decided it’s crazy to strive for such an unattainable goal. Yes if im honest with myself that is my dream weight but the reality is my weight keeps coming back to the high 160s and thats just where it wants to be for better or worse. I think i just need to be the best, healthiest, fittest person i can be at this weight. Im just so tired of trying to lose weight. It’s exhausting and discouraging and it clearly isnt working anyway.

I just am so tired of food rules. I don’t want restrict hours, Count calories or carbs or plates for that matter. Im not sure what i will do instead but need a break from all the restrictions. I just cant do it right now. Its too much. :/

(Thx alene & auto! )

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:38 pm

Hi Linda! I am glad that there is relief in Sweetpeas diagnosis. I know what you mean about having an answer, and I hope it helps her and your family.

I have been where you are as far as being sick of it all and a book that really helped me with just letting it all go was The F*ck it Diet. It even goes beyond intuitive eating really and is basically just eat what you want when you want. No rules whatsoever. It's definitely a mind-bender for those of us who are always trying to control how or what we eat.

Also though, I think your attitude of being the happiest and the healthiest you can be at the weight you are is a good one. Have you read Health at Every Size? I feel like that is a good book that addresses that and helps to encourage that mindset. Anyway, as you can tell I love to turn to books when I am feeling discouraged. I hope you had a good holiday weekend!

Jen1974

Post by Jen1974 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:08 pm

One of my favorites when I got sick of diet rules was Thin Side Out, How To Have Your cake & Your Skinny Jeans Too”. Not that popular in the IE world because it’s still very weight loss based but it did a better job for me at explaining how to eat in a way that feels good where a lot of the others left me feeling stuck at “not dieting”

I do feel my time letting go of all rules was really good for me. Fun foods no longer have the hold they once did, getting too full has no appeal to me, hunger is worth waiting for & I don’t enjoy eating when I’m not hungry anymore so when I’m tempted to eat when I’m bored I know it’s not that worth it :lol: And most of all I realized that I do have a set point weight & that the effort I need to put in to go below that is REALLY HARD. I came to realize that it wasn’t really worth it to me to work that hard to weigh a little less than I do if I just do the best that I can. But that also if I don’t try at all I end up pushing the upper limits of that range & not feeling so great. So that’s how I ended up back here, trying a little but not too much :D

Larkspur

Post by Larkspur » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:23 am

Just want to point out you've achieved so much already-- like 40 pounds down from your high, right?

I hear you about the spending. I was conscious today of feeling like most of my day is struggling to do good things and avoid bad ones and I was just OVER IT. The list of should nots is long and it takes a shift in mindset to be okay with that.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:15 am

Wait, you did go through a period of time where you let the rules go and you gained quite a bit of weight, right? I was not trying to talk you out of losing weight, actually, but just to know that for your body, it's obviously not getting there even with all you've done and would take something very precise that would likely take limiting a fair amount of social eating. It's tough that it feels like you'd have to choose between the two, especially since we have to monitor that anyway. There are just too many opportunities to overeat.

I have been around many renditions of eat-what-you-feel -like over the years. (Went to a workshop on it back in 1979!) I used to laud them from the rooftops, but now my blood runs cold when I hear of it. We live in a very different food atmosphere now and so many foods are designed to thwart the body's natural appestat. We have access to food just about all the time. I know there are people who do it and get or stay relatively slim, but I think they are as lucky as people who can stick to a diet and get to size 2. You go to online boards associated with it and there are plenty of people defending eating stuff that is hardly food and staying pretty big. Look all over the world in places where there are no societal strictures on eating a lot and they are getting heavier and heavier when there is access to more food. Disease is following. Immigrants who come to the U.S, with no pressure to limit food and no food prejudices or history of dieting (which supposedly drives all overeating- not so) typically get heavier. I just don't believe any more that we are meant to be eating so much of what we are attracted to. This is true even for thin people, who happen to develop degenerative diseases pretty regularly, too.

You have been doing some pretty strict routines the last few years. I understand being tired, believe me. I've expressed it myself at times but I still think there is wisdom in having something systematic that stems the flow of food. I don't know what it is for you but ad libitum works only if the food sources are extremely unrefined. And that's a limitation I don't think you would be happy with, either.

I think there has to be a happy medium between cultivating body appreciation without also having to completely let go of eating guidelines. (Even if someone gets thin, I'm not convinced their insides are doing well. It takes a few decades to find out.) If there is any diet to go on it is as little looking at thin bodies in the media as possible. I wonder if there are old National Geographics available on line to just see what women far from the spotlight look like! Not that their eating habits are to be emulated. Just to retrain the eye.

Look in mirrors less?

And keep giving yourself credit for all you do that has nothing to do with controlling eating! Let's all do more of that. (Maybe this will make me actually DO some of those other things. I've been spending way too much time online writing about this! )

Mostly I wish you peace! Good night.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:42 am

Ive read all the IE books, all the body acceptance books, all the diet books, all ithe Intermittent fasting books, all of it and none of it worked. Really when i lost those last 40 lbs i only loosely did NoS. I really did my own thing. I was just very motivated.

Oolala, i didnt say i was going to do the eat whatever you want thing. But im going to do my own thing. Im going to focus on being healthy and fit. Regular meals. And yes id like to be thinner, much thinner but im not going ro waste the rest of my life stressing about it. When i was 210 lbs all i wanted was to be able to shop im the regular stores. And now i can so that is something. I can tie my shoes, run a mile, keep up with my kids, wear a bathing suit in public. Screw the rest.

Breakfast: bagel with cream cheese, 2 veg sausage
Snack: Nectarine, lavender lemon bar, sf mocha
Lunch: salmon, avocado salad; piece of bread
Dinner: small bowl of dan dan noodles with spinach
Dessert: strawberry yogurt bar

Exercise: 20 min run, 1 min walk, 5 min run 🏃‍♀️ ; dog walk 30 minsq

Jen1974

Post by Jen1974 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:57 pm

Linda, I think it’s pretty impressive that you’ve lost & kept 40 lbs off!! I NEVER see that!! It’s funny that most of us are always looking for the answers outside ourselves with a “plan” or a “book” that we hope will be THE ONE, but I’m pretty sure it all comes down to finding the answers within. What I do love about books & plans though is that they do help find out what does & doesn’t work at least!! And I agree with you on all the IE books, none of them created the relationship with food that I wanted or that seemed to be promised!

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:14 pm

I can tie my shoes, run a mile, keep up with my kids, wear a bathing suit in public. Screw the rest.
Bravo! :-)
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:52 am

lpearlmom wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:42 am
Im going to focus on being healthy and fit. Regular meals. And yes id like to be thinner, much thinner but im not going to waste the rest of my life stressing about it. When i was 210 lbs all i wanted was to be able to shop in the regular stores. And now i can so that is something. I can tie my shoes, run a mile, keep up with my kids, wear a bathing suit in public. Screw the rest.

Exercise: 20 min run, 1 min walk, 5 min run 🏃‍♀️ ; dog walk 30 mins
I think this is great! Also your intervals are looking amazing! I hope you had a good day today.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:59 am

I thought afterwards that it might have seemed I was assuming something. I probably was, since you sounded pretty exasperated. But it's amazing what sleep and diversion does.

Also all my diatribe on junk food seemed overdone, as I was falling asleep last night, because I'm pretty sure fast food and such are not your downfalls. Preaching to the choir. I'll get rid of it or you can.

You sound reborn! Delightful.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

alene1

Post by alene1 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:19 pm

Hi Linda. Hope your Tuesday was good. I think that feeling good physically, and feeling peaceful are the two keys for being in our sweet spot. xo

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:49 pm

Hi Linda,
The pandemic does give some perspective as well. I am hoping all is well with your family as your state goes through the wringer.
Kathleen

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:36 pm

Hi Linda, I've been away a while, but when I come back for a visit, I seem to always start with checking to see how you are doing. I only read back the last few posts - there's too much to catch up on for now. But you sound like you are in a place I have visited so very many times. I guess most of us have been.

Hope you are well. I"ll catch up more later.
'I do think the way to a full and healthy life is to adopt the sensible system of small helpings, no seconds, no snacking, and a little bit of everything. Above all, have a good time.' Julia Child

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:44 am

Hi, Linda! I can definitely relate to your recent posts! I think the fact that you have kept off 40 pounds is great, and as long as you are fit, active, healthy (in terms of blood work and other health indicators), and happy, then that’s what counts. I’m working on getting to that place, myself.

4/1/2018 BMI 31.5