okbyxmas Daily Check In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

okbyxmas

okbyxmas Daily Check In

Post by okbyxmas » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:51 pm

I figured a daily check-in here would be helpful to me. I'm keeping a blog (also called Ok By Xmas) since I've started a personal project to feel healthier by Christmas. No S is by far the most sensible thing I've ever encountered so I'm doing it through that and daily exercise!

Yesterday was my first day. Here's my food breakdown:

Breakfast: Bowl of yogurt with an apple cut up into it.

Lunch: Tomato noodle soup with cheddar cheese.

Supper: Grilled cheese and a bowl of tomato soup.

I didn't intend to eat two meals of cheese and tomato soup but supper ended up being very late due to circumstances out of my control and so when we were all finally there grilled cheese and soup was the easiest and quickest meal on hand.

Feeling pretty good about it in general. Once the three meal a day/no snacks habit is ingrained more firmly I'm going to focus on making the meals really balanced and healthy.

Kittykat150

Post by Kittykat150 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:11 pm

Ok,
Best of luck. You are not alone.
Kat :lol:
"Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn." -Harriet Beecher Stowe

weagl860

Post by weagl860 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:12 pm

Welcome! I'm excited for you! I'm still in my first month of No S but am really loving it. It makes so much sense. I'm trying to look at weight month to month to watch the trend rather than daily and weekly.
I love that you are giving yourself a gift. :-)
Kate

okbyxmas

Post by okbyxmas » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:14 pm

Thank you both! I'm pretty pumped about doing this and having a community is so valuable. :)

P.S. I know how much I weigh now at the start and I'm not going to weigh again until Christmas. I know what a slippery slope that is for me!

jw

Post by jw » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:28 pm

Welcome, OK -- this is a great board with lots of collective wisdom to share. Best of luck!
"The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective." -- El Fug

okbyxmas

Post by okbyxmas » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:42 pm

jw wrote:Welcome, OK -- this is a great board with lots of collective wisdom to share. Best of luck!
Thanks jw! I'm poking around as I can and trying to absorb what others are saying. I'm glad to be here.

okbyxmas

Post by okbyxmas » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:46 pm

I may not get a chance to post later tonight so I'll put in today's food and be very determined that this is a successful day!

Breakfast: Yogurt with apple and bananas

Lunch: Garlic pasta with broccoli. (This was amazingly good. Leftovers for lunch tomorrow, probably!)

Supper: Cheese omelette on toast and half a honeydew melon.

I had the cheese omelette because I wanted the protein to (hopefully) keep me from feeling like a snack later in the evening. I'm a little concerned that my portion sizes are excessive but I'll work on that. I have some special plates I could be using instead of the regular dinner plates.

okbyxmas

Post by okbyxmas » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:22 am

Today has gone really well! Still not much hunger between meals and quite happy with the food I eat. Well, mostly. I'll explain. Here's today:

breakfast: bowl of cereal, banana, small yogurt

lunch: garlic pasta with broccoli

supper: banana and two cobs of corn with butter

Yes, supper was a bit odd. We found ourselves at my mom's place and she was suddenly struck with a migraine. All she had on hand to eat was some fresh-picked corn and a bit of fruit so I had a very... yellow supper. Not a big deal and so far I'm still feeling full so I'm not too worried. :lol:

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:47 am

You are doing really well, keep it up. I love your plan to get healthier by Xmas. I really want to do that too. I have had some odd dinners too but like you have felt ok about it. I will check out your blog. Good luck with everything
Tessy

Kittykat150

Post by Kittykat150 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:41 am

Ok,
I want to be ok by Xmas too. You, me and Tessy should form a club! Keep up the good work.
Kat :wink:
"Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn." -Harriet Beecher Stowe

okbyxmas

Post by okbyxmas » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:57 pm

Thanks Tessy and Kitty! The club sounds like a great idea! I'm not counting on looking radically different by Christmas but I want to feel different, you know?

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:04 pm

Welcome ok!

You sound like you are doing great & have realistic expectations. NoS has been an absolute life saver for me and hopefully you'll enjoy it too!

Linda
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

jw

Post by jw » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:47 pm

I just noticed you have a blog! good for you -- put it up on the main page sticky, most of the blogs listed there are no longer maintained!
"The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective." -- El Fug

okbyxmas

Post by okbyxmas » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:16 pm

Thank you, Linda! And jw; I'll do that!

Here's today's menu:

breakfast: yogurt with apple and banana, grapes on the side

lunch: two roasted red pepper/cheddar sandwiches

supper: spaghetti noodles in spicy peanut sauce, small lime greek yogurt

I am following the trick that jw posted on the discussion board about by filling in my habitcal square for the day green as soon as I'm finished supper. I know I won't want to go back and change that square to red so I have extra incentive not to snack tonight!

I'm so full after supper that I feel kind of sick. I could have skipped that yogurt but I took less noodles than usual so I could fit it into my meal. I was worried that no variety in my meal would lead to boredom cravings later.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:37 am

You're doing great & you'll figure out the right sized portions for you over time so don't worry about it. I like having yogurt on my plate too as it satisfies my craving for something slightly sweet. Of course it's almost an S day a d I'm pretty sure I see chocolate in my future--yay!

okbyxmas

Post by okbyxmas » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:20 pm

I'm not worrying about the yogurt toooo much right now but I may have to cut back on it a little. I recently started eating more of it for the probiotics but I don't want to have to switch to low-fat or sugar-free.

And I definitely see a bar of Cocoa Camino chocolate heading my way tomorrow! :lol:

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:43 pm

This is a plan I'm still experiencing changes on 44 months in, though it's more subtle now. Enjoy yourself.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

okbyxmas

Post by okbyxmas » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:00 pm

That's a good point, oolala. I hadn't even considered the yogurt being a problem, really, until re-reading the No S Diet page and realizing that it can be a stumbling block in the sugar department.

But I'm seriously not going to worry over yogurt! I'm making a post on my blog later today about not stressing about caloric intake too much and how the three plates are a handy limiting factor.

Also I'm a little anxious today because I got busy and breakfast kept getting pushed back until now. I haven't had it yet and if I eat it now it won't be too long after until lunch. My partner is coming home at 12:30 and will be expecting us to eat together, likely, so I'm wondering how to handle this. Skip breakfast entirely and have two meals instead of three?

I'm hungry enough now that I think skipping breakfasts is a bad idea for me. I'm thinking HARD about eating and if I felt like this until lunch every day i'd be pretty miserable. I think I'll go eat some yogurt and fruit! ;)

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:30 pm

I'd have something very light, just for the chance to chew and taste. Maybe half a piece of toast with peanut butter? One egg and an apple? Then go ahead and have lunch, but don't be afraid to leave a bit on your plate.

Later in the game, you might skip a breakfast, but it's better not to mess with your psyche now. it can start the bargaining.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

okbyxmas

Post by okbyxmas » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:20 am

breakfast: yogurt with apple cut into it

lunch: spaghetti noodles in spicy peanut sauce

supper: curry chicken, rice and naan bread

I did eat a bit of breakfast after all; a smaller amount of yogurt than usual with an apple. It held me over perfectly until I had a late lunch. I knew that supper would be MUCH later than usual since it was a family get-together and we're all just awful about deciding what we're going to get from where. We went with Indian food though and it was DELICIOUS. I put all of my food into one bowl and had more than enough to eat.

Week one success!!!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:55 am

Yay!! You are doing so great. Have a wonderful weekend!

Linda

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:05 pm

LOVE Indian food.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

okbyxmas

Post by okbyxmas » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:26 am

After being pretty enthusiastic about having an S day to relax with I ended up feeling suddenly pretty sick this afternoon before splurging with anything! I had two normal meals, though, one of them comprising leftovers from yesterday's Indian take-out. Tonight, though, I indulged with a Turtle Pecan Blizzard from DQ. Very satisfying!

Tomorrow is a family reunion/party so I'm looking forward to some delicious snacks and an amazing meal at the event. I hope everyone is having a great weekend and enjoying their S days if they're having them. :)

okbyxmas

Post by okbyxmas » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:40 pm

So after my first two S days I feel kind of weird starting another week of N days. I didn't go nuts this weekend or anything. I had normal meals and my only indulgence was some sugary soda, a few gummy worms and some dessert last night. Nothing too extravagant.

I think the big thing was just letting go of discipline and how it feels heavier when I pick it back up.

jw

Post by jw » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:54 pm

I think you will get to the point where picking up the discipline is when it feels like the load is lighter! Maybe that only happens to those of us who have more extravagant S-days -- but when Monday rolls around here, it's something of a relief to slip back into the habit again. In fact, I marked this an S day on my habitcal, but I am not sure I am going to take it . . .

okbyxmas

Post by okbyxmas » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:00 pm

I remembered a little late that today is a stat holiday and I can count it as an S day if I want. I'm debating doing so if my family has a get-together this evening.

And jw, I know what you mean. It felt GOOD last week to be doing my N days and feeling like I knew where I stood with my eating. The weirdness now is how that feeling can slip away with just a couple of low-key S days. I felt like it something I had to remind myself of over the weekend (YES, I can have that gummy worm and not feel bad,) but then this morning I had to remind myself not to automatically grab a snack.

okbyxmas

Post by okbyxmas » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:49 am

Today's food:

breakfast: skipped

lunch: roasted red pepper, cheese, pepperoni and apple sandwich x2

supper: toast and bacon

I ended up skipping breakfast. I guess me and my partner find it difficult to get in synch when our schedules are shaken up with holidays?

My partner is allergic to eggs so if we have breakfast for dinner it's sans egg. So toast and bacon. I had half a melon in the fridge but I guess I'm still not feeling 100% because I wasn't hungry by the time I had my toast and a little bacon. So I skipped it.

So a successful N day. I didn't make it an S day because there really wasn't much around that was worthwhile. Must grocery shop tomorrow!

okbyxmas

Post by okbyxmas » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:56 pm

breakfast: grapes, 1/2 banana, yogurt

lunch: fried chicken and spicy sweet potatoes

supper: bowl of cereal and piece of fruit

I haven't actually eaten my supper yet but I know what I'm going to have already. It's going to be a very late supper. Lunch was very late which is why. I've gone ahead and marked my habitcal for today green so I know that I'm not going to eat anything but that! :lol:

Lunch was actually kind of meh. The chicken wasn't very tasty even though I made it from scratch myself. Thankfully the sweet potatoes saved it. They were a recipe I hadn't tried before and I loved them! Definite repeater. I have both chicken and sweet potatoes left over for lunch or supper tomorrow. Probably supper since I'll be out all day.

okbyxmas

Post by okbyxmas » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:05 pm

Oh my gooooood I am surrounded by candy today. My mom's place is near my kid's daycare and I'm at her place for the day. She has candy everywhere. I am eating a nice and filling brunch to hopefully stave off weak moments!

okbyxmas

Post by okbyxmas » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:34 am

I did it. I did not eat a single candy while at my mom's place. There was various kinds of licorice, yogurt gummies, gummy worms, et cetera. She keeps it around for the grandkids but it was not easy to open the cupboards for something else and see all that staring back at me!

But I got through. And here I am at the end of the day quite pleased with myself.

On another note I think that like a couple of other people I'm going to stop listing the specific things I eat every day here. I'll keep track of whether each day was a success or not and what I think it was that made me trip up when that happens but the public food journal is a little too diet-y for me, I think. I already write it down in a personal journal so putting it here as well feels like a bit much.

I'll just call them Green days or Red days. And today was Green!

eschano

Post by eschano » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:39 am

Hi Okbyxmas,

I really enjoy your already very healthy thoughts on NoS. I think it's a great plan to get healthier by Christmas.

Cheers
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

okbyxmas

Post by okbyxmas » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:10 pm

Thank you, eschano! I'm trying to be as realistic as possible while also being kind to myself. It's so easy to get upset and angry with ourselves and get demoralized. I want to do this for all the right reasons, you know?

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:21 pm

Great job okbyxmas!!

Definitely do what works for you as far as writing down what you eat. I Try to stay away from anything that triggers that old diet mode for me. I just like to remember all the yummy stuff I ate that day but if it felt diety to me, I'd stop too.

Keep up the good work!!

Linda :)

okbyxmas

Post by okbyxmas » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:49 am

Thank you Linda! I have been trying to pay attention to what feels uncomfortable and the writing my daily food in public is a little bit awkward for me. I feel pretty OK with my food choices but once in a while I'd suddenly think about what others might think and that's just not something I want to have weighing on me, I guess.

okbyxmas

Post by okbyxmas » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:22 am

Today was an S day (planned ahead) and it was fine. I didn't go nuts. I had a few gummy worms, a few pieces of chocolate and some birthday cake. Meals were normal servings with no seconds. A few minutes ago I wandered into the kitchen and opened the cupboard thinking, "Oh, it's still an S day; I should take advantage of it while I can," but nothing looked appealing and I realized I wasn't actually hungry so I just didn't have anything.

That's pretty much the point of why I'm doing No S. I want to recognize the times when I'm compulsively eating for reasons other than hunger and learn to do away with them. If there HAD been something in the cupboard that I would have enjoyed and been happy to eat I might have done so because on an S day I can and it's special. A couple of weeks ago, though, I'd have eaten something because I'm so used to snacking even when I'm not necessarily hungry.

In a nutshell it felt good to have those thoughts about food and act on them.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:14 am

Awesome ok--you are doing so great. I think your head is in the right place and you have healthy motivations for wanting to stick to this lifestyle.

Keep it up and enjoy the process.

okbyxmas

Post by okbyxmas » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:38 am

Linda; you are so kind. Thanks for the encouragement and feedback! I appreciate it so much. I'm very, very glad that No S has a wonderful community of folks behind it. I know I tend to write a lot of things that are probably very obvious to so many of you more experienced No Essers but I like having this space to work through them where others can offer their opinions and experiences.

Today was GREEN. I only ate at mealtimes and didn't have enormous portions. I truly am finding jw's trick of checking off the habitcal green right after supper a helpful one.

To be honest I COULD have a bowl of grapes or something in an hour as I really had only two meals today; lunch and supper. I had insomnia last night so after the kid was off to daycare I opted to go back to bed for a couple of hours instead of having breakfast. If I wanted to go by the letter of the law I could eat something and call it my third meal.

That's playing with the rules and habit-forming, though. Eating after suppertime is something I'm trying to train myself out of, not trick myself into. Supper tonight was filling and delicious and I don't actually need anything else to eat.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:01 am

Nothing is obvious to me ok! Just a few weeks ahead of you so still figuring it out as well!! Besides this is your check in so as long as its helpful to you, that's All that matters.

Definitely seems like a good plan that you kept with the idea of lunch & dinner and not throwing another mini meal in there because of the skipped breakfast. I think it would have felt too much like snacking.

Enjoy your well deserved weekend!!

Linda

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:20 pm

"Supper tonight was filling and delicious and I don't actually need anything else to eat" how brilliant that you can write those words. Looks like you have had a good week and you are finding your own path. Well done
Tessy :)

okbyxmas

Post by okbyxmas » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:49 pm

Thanks Linda and Tess! It wasn't necessarily easy to shut off that part of my brain that wanted to snack but I managed. :wink:

So glad that today is an S day, though! I went to the British Isles shop with my mom because she's been wanting to check it out and man, there was some awesome candy! I've been craving tablet so I snagged a piece of that and some nice Turkish Delight as well. I found a tablet recipe that sounds authentic but I think I'd better save making any for Christmas or some other special occasion because I don't think I'd be strong enough to resist it!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:36 am

Doing well! Sounds especially like you are putting S days to good use.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

okbyxmas

Post by okbyxmas » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:14 pm

oolala53 wrote:Doing well! Sounds especially like you are putting S days to good use.
Can you believe I forgot about that piece of tablet in my purse?!? Now I have to wait until the weekend to eat it! Ah well. It'll be a test of my resistance to sweets when they're easily available. My usual tactic is to try not to have things on hand that I know trigger uncontrolled snacking but it wouldn't hurt to build up more resistance.

Thankfully my partner's preferred treats are things like Fudgie-Ohs and other boring cookies that I tend not to be tempted by at all. Those and a box of Oreos up in the cupboard do not call my name. Now if there were homemade spice cookies with raisins and nuts it would be another story! I prefer my chocolate in a bar and to be of good quality. I think chocolate chips get in the way of the taste of a good cookie.

okbyxmas

Post by okbyxmas » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:49 am

Hmmm. I am not sure whether to call today a success or not.

Technically it could be but the letter of the law was not followed in this house on this day.

My kid is sick. It hit all of a sudden last night and in meeting her needs this morning I missed breakfast. I figured no big; I'll have a late breakfast, a late lunch and supper whenever my partner gets home. Well, I had that late breakfast but then lunch got pushed back and pushed back and by the time supper rolled around I still hadn't had lunch and I was RAVENOUS.

I had a bowl of casserole. I finished it, still hungry, and looked at the bowl thinking that it was definitely not the capacity of the plate I would have used if it hadn't been such an untidy casserole. I could have another bowl and count that as my missed meal, I told myself.

And so I did.

Now I feel like a cheaty cheaterson who cheats. Yes; technically I ate the equivalent of the usual three meals a day I eat on N days. But a bowl of casserole followed immediately by another bowl of casserole sounds a LOT LIKE SECONDS TO ME.

I don't feel like I can claim success on a technicality here. A huge part of doing No S is about strengthening my resolve to stick to positive change and I broke that resolve tonight.

So... RED DAY. Poop. :x

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:06 am

Hmmm...... I'd go with technical definition of NoS on this one. NoS is suppose to fit into real life & you definitely aren't suppose to be starving yourself. I would call it a green day & just remember next time to put enough on your plate.

Of course, do what feels right to you but ultimately I think you did great especially under the circumstances!

Hope your child is feeling better tomorrow & you can get back to your normal schedule but this is def a small bump in your journey. You are heading in the right direction & going strong!

okbyxmas

Post by okbyxmas » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:01 pm

Linda you are a lovely, supportive person! Thanks for the sensible advice. My kiddo is still sick but at the same time wants to play so no rest for the weary around here!

I don't feel awful about yesterday; just a bit disappointed that I didn't uphold the 'fence around the diet'.

I'll just keep doing this until I'm doing it right!

Kittykat150

Post by Kittykat150 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:07 pm

Ok,
Challenges like that are a great victory, in a way. How would you have handled things before NoS? Technically a failure, yes, but overall a great example of how far you have come in accountability and attitude about food. Good FAIL, Way to go!
Kat :wink:

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:51 pm

Oh dear. I know how you feel :( I think one of the hardest things to cope with is missing a meal. If I get behind with food everything unravels. I think we will get better at this but for now we are still vulnerable. But You are doing so brilliantly it will quickly get back into shape :)
Have a good day tomorrow
Tessy

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:18 am

Oh thank you for the compliment ok!

So hard when our kids are "sick" but still energetic. Hopefully tomorrow you can get back to your routine. :)

okbyxmas

Post by okbyxmas » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:13 pm

I forgot to mention that yesterday was GREEN... just barely. I was more tempted to snack yesterday than I have been in the last two weeks! I think it's just the almost unconscious reaction to frustration that I have. Oh, something sweet or snacky will make me feel better, right?

I resisted, though, and it felt good at the end of the day to leave that habitcal square green.

clarebear

Post by clarebear » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:20 pm

good on you :)
I have that same unconscious reaction!
Finally found a lifestyle change, not a diet!
Starting weight 167 lbs
Goal is to lose 20lbs in time for my wedding!

okbyxmas

Post by okbyxmas » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:22 am

Today was Green as well. I've noticed breakfast becoming more of an issue for me. I truly don't have the urge to eat first thing in the morning and I'm finding it easier to 'forget' about it in the morning shuffle with my kiddo and whatnot. Then I end up eating only two meals and feeling cheated. It's what happened today. I had a late breakfast again and then waited until supper for a second meal. I get TOO hungry that way and it makes me very anxious and focused on eating; the exact opposite of what I'm going for here.

I kept it under control today and had a one plate meal for supper even though it was a bit on the large side.

I need to focus on this breakfast thing. Sitting down and figuring out some quick, easy solutions is what I have to do because I think I do need to have three reliable meals in a day so as not to enter panic hunger mode!

okbyxmas

Post by okbyxmas » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:29 pm

Just popping in to say that I had a couple of bananas to get breakfast in me. Now that school has started mornings are so much busier and I'm finding even getting out a bowl and some yogurt feels like a hassle which is silly. Definitely a thing to make time for!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:55 pm

Hi ok! I could see how missing breakfast would be easy in the chaos of the morning. I usually don't eat break till my girls are out the door. I'm a sahm though so it's not a big deal. I would definitely feel cheated later though so hopefully you can get that worked out.

Is there something you could eat during your commute---bagel, break burrito, smoothie etc ? Or maybe just have a mid-morning snack at work if that's possible?

I'm sure you'll come up with a good solution but you are continuing to hold strong through these little challenges that are popping up and that's so great!

Keep it up!

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:38 pm

Hi there. You are doing great. Breakfast is really important to me. Like you I sometimes get too busy. But it always backfires on me and I just get too hungry and obsessed by food later in the day. Can you leave out something the night before? Or at least get everything ready bowl etc so that you just have to eat? Some people I think can really skip breakfast and do well without it. But it sounds like you are not one of them!! Just like me :lol:
Hang it here. You are going so well.
Tessy

okbyxmas

Post by okbyxmas » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:32 pm

Thank you, ladies! I managed to get breakfast in me again this morning. Toast and honey, mmmm.

Yesterday was a GREEN and it felt great. Breakfast definitely makes the difference in my daily eating. I wish it didn't but oh well; it's probably healthier for me this way.

tamburello32

Post by tamburello32 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:16 pm

Yes, breakfast .. super important ... Let me tell you if you think you have a good idea skipping breakfast to make up for that big meal you had ... or that snack .. or whatever... stop right there ...

It never works !! ;-)

You can make it a lil' bit and then you get so hungry you'll eat just about anything ... even if you have a lot of will power you will be on the Highway to HELL there ...
it will not be pleasant at all.

I always try to have oatmeal for breakfast . I let it soak for 12 hours and then it cooks quickly in the microwave the next day, convenient ...

I have a big bowl (150g.-160g dry oatmeal, I add 600g. of water ... a few raisins, microwave for 4 minutes, cover and wait 10 minutes ...) I have that with some yogurt, about 250g. and sometimes a fruit or I save the fruit for later

(I don't do the strict No-S, sometimes I save a lil' something for later as long as it's something I could have had during my meal, doesn't make a lot of difference to me ...

Oatmeal is good for me and it fills me up a long time without adding a ton of calories ...

The other day I was even considering eating oatmeal twice a day : breakfast and lunch, I really like it a lot.
Plus oatmeal is quite inexpensive especially if you buy it in bulk.

Hope all is well.
Weight loss goal : 25.0 pounds within 115 days. I have lost 5.0 pounds within 15 days now. Checking in once or twice per week. ;-) White male, 38 years old.

okbyxmas

Post by okbyxmas » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:37 am

Thanks Tamburello! I have been thinking of doing something similar to what you say here but with grits instead of oatmeal. I don't like oatmeal but do love grits and they're nice and filling and hearty too. Plus they cook up fast.

I'm also checking in to say that today went fabulously and was wonderfully GREEN! I had supper late so I'm very satisfied and sleepy and don't see any snacking happening before bed. I have a baby shower to attend tomorrow and I'm looking forward to the S-Day treats.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:43 am

Yay ok! Enjoy your weekend--you so deserve it!! :)

Kittykat150

Post by Kittykat150 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:35 pm

OK,
Just a thought because I am not big on breakfast either...a piece of fruit and nuts can carry me a long way. The protein fruit combo has great staying power. Sometimes coffee with a half cup of milk (latte style)and a handful of cashews or almonds or Trader joes omega three trail mix.... Good stuff and easy in the car on he go.
Have a great weekend.
Kat

tamburello32

Post by tamburello32 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:57 pm

I really like milk, soy milk as well ... I add some water often and make a weak soy chocolate milk drink ... I microwave it for 4 minutes, add some cocoa powder and a bit of Splenda, not much ... tastes good to me. Plus adding water is always good ... zero calories and fills you up.

You drink a couple of big glasses and then you are not hungry anymore. Carries you to the next meal ... or often in my case, until it's time to go to bed ... 80% of the times when I overeat it is late at night so I know I have to be careful too ... not staying up too late !
Weight loss goal : 25.0 pounds within 115 days. I have lost 5.0 pounds within 15 days now. Checking in once or twice per week. ;-) White male, 38 years old.

okbyxmas

Post by okbyxmas » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:28 am

It's been a busy few days so I haven't been posting a lot but things are good. Today was my kiddo's first day of jk and boy was that tough. Tears and hysterics and pleas to come home with us. We toughed it out, though, and when we picked her up at the end of the day she was quite happy and looking forward to her next school day!

It was a stressful day for me, though, because every time the phone rang I thought it might be the school calling to tell me to come get my kid. I managed not to stress-eat so managed to have a GREEN day as a result.

I made roasted broccoli with dinner which I'd never done before. Different and could have used a sprinkle of lemon when it was finished cooking, I think. That plus a steak and some noodles has me very satisfied and looking forward to bed.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:41 am

So glad you got through that first day! My kids are 8 & 10 but I still get teary eyed the first day of school.

Great job sticking to it under stress & your dinner sounds delish!

okbyxmas

Post by okbyxmas » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:19 pm

Linda I can see me being emotional every year too! She took the school bus for the first time today and even though she was fairly stoic about it once the bus pulled up there were tears and fear beforehand. At least it distracted her from being grumpy about school itself! :D

Anyhow, yesterday was GREEN although I had a close call. I absent-mindedly stuck a gummy worm in my mouth while I was getting a few for my kiddo and as soon as I did I thought, "WHAT IN THE HECK AM I DOING?" I spit it out immediately but man... hello past snacking specter!

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:37 pm

Hi there. You are doing brilliantly coping with real change. It is years since my last boy first went to school but I can recall the day very clearly even now, it is a big event!! But you are coping and staying on habit, even rejecting the odd gummy worm - made me laugh a lot to think of you spitting out a jelly worm! thats dedication - big respect :o
Thank you for dropping by my thread, your words were very comforting to me especially to realise that maybe I am not such a failure after all! Thank you
Tessy

okbyxmas

Post by okbyxmas » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:03 pm

Tessytwinkle wrote:Thank you for dropping by my thread, your words were very comforting to me especially to realise that maybe I am not such a failure after all! Thank you
Tessy
Aw, Tessy, I'm just glad you're feeling more on track and positive! We're all in this together, right?

Yesterday was a RED day but I'm not upset about it because it was for a good reason and the 'damage' was pretty minimal. When my kiddo got home from school she'd barely eaten a thing of the food I sent with her and seemed hungry. She asked for a picnic on her bed so I got that all set up for her and of course she wanted me to eat food with her! I ate one animal cracker and two potato chips, making a big show of eating them and then just pretended to eat after that. She didn't notice the pretending too much.

I know that one cracker and two chips is just a little blip in my daily eating but eh, red it is.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:44 pm

I could definitely see something like this happening to me too. It's so important for me to model normal eating habits for my kids and in that case it might have seemed pretty odd that mom can't even take a little nibble of something.

Definitely won't impede your overall progress so keep up the good work!

Linda

okbyxmas

Post by okbyxmas » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:30 pm

Thanks Linda! I'm not very bothered by the wee snack myself; I guess I do feel a little bummed that it's a red day as a result. I know intellectually that it was a non-issue so I'll just put it behind me and know that it could happen again.

Yesterday was GREEN, though. I ate less than usual because I'm sick. I'm taking today as an S day because I hardly have an appetite at all so I'm going to eat when I can and not even think about structure or limits. I have a feeling it won't matter much, intake-wise.

jw

Post by jw » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:07 pm

very healthy attitude, ok! You know you were in control, and that little lapse won't take over your newfound habit.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:45 am

Hope you have a healthy & happy weekend! :)

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:20 am

Hope you are feeling better and enjoy your weekends. That what they are for :)
Tessy

okbyxmas

Post by okbyxmas » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:58 am

Ugh, I am glad I took yesterday as an S day. Between yesterday and today I've barely eaten three meals worth of food. Now my kiddo is snurfling and sneezing and sniffling yet again and she just barely got over her last illness! I remember what it's like when school starts up, though. Everyone gets the plague in September.

I made taco quesadillas for supper tonight and couldn't eat. I made plain cheese ones for the little one and she wouldn't touch them so I had one bite of hers to try to convince her they were tasty. She wasn't having it and frankly neither was I. So she had Cheerios and I had a Neo Citran not long ago. Just waiting for it to kick in so I can get some restful, comfortable sleep, hopefully!

I hope everyone else is having a great weekend. I don't have much energy for binge reading all the posts I've missed in the last day.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:22 am

Sorry ok! Definitely makes sense to take an S day when you're that sick! I know lots of kids get sick a lot when they first start school.

Hang in there!
Linda

okbyxmas

Post by okbyxmas » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:08 am

Sorry I've been so quiet, little check-in, but it's tough to write about doing No S when one is so sick!

Seriously I hardly remember the last time I was sick like this. Every time I think maybe it's starting to get better it turns out that no; it's just decided to focus elsewhere. Eating has become something I am doing when I feel well enough which is pretty rarely. I had one meal yesterday and it was an effort. I've been getting in lots of liquids at least.

Hoping I'll be able to rest and get over the worst of this while kiddo is at daycare today.

jw

Post by jw » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:26 am

Sorry this is hanging on so long, OK. Drink your chicken soup and take care of yourself for as long as you need to!

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:52 pm

You poor love. Take care of yourself and I hope you feel better soon
Tessy

okbyxmas

Post by okbyxmas » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:38 pm

Thanks you two! I do think I'm getting better now. Still coughing and hacking and congested and weak but I can feel my appetite returning finally. SO, I'm allowing today to be a final Sick day and then tomorrow and Friday will be usual N days. Then I'll take it easy on the esses over the weekend.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:42 pm

Poor thing--hope you're fully recovered soon!

okbyxmas

Post by okbyxmas » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:04 pm

Thanks Linda! Can you believe I'm still sick and had a mild fever again this morning? Yesterday was GREEN at least and I'm going to do the same today but I'm wishing I'd just get over this. I'm sick of being sick!

May end up at the walk-in clinic tomorrow if I'm no better.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:37 pm

Ugh! I really hope this clears up by tomorrow so you can enjoy your weekend! So hard being sick when you're trying to care for a little one!

okbyxmas

Post by okbyxmas » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:10 am

I will admit that it's possible I'm enjoying cough drops a bit too much! ;)

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:06 am

Lol ok. I think you're allowed under the circumstances!

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:28 am

I am so impressed you managed an N day!! Enjoy your weekend. You need a couple of days of freedom and delight to lift your poorly body. Choose your treats well and enjoy them. Hope you are soon feeling more like your old self
Tessy

okbyxmas

Post by okbyxmas » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:56 pm

Friday was GREEN as well but oh man, just barely! I wasn't even hungry but I kept thinking I needed a sweet in the late evening. I even went to the cupboard and stared hard at a packet of fudge but in the end I held off and waited until Saturday.

Still coughing, still congested. What plague is this?!? Everyone is so sick of me being sick. I'm so sick of me being sick! It might actually be improving as of today but as my partner pointed out maybe I'm just getting used to it! :lol:

Anyhow, back to N days tomorrow after a pretty low-key weekend of S days. I'm able to eat more now at least. I'm going to try to make some bread this week and possibly some soup as well for easy home lunches.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:13 am

Oh geez sorry it's still lingering!!! Those coughs can hang on what seems like forever sometimes. I hope next week things start to turn around for you! Good job managing green days despite it all!

Linda

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:26 am

You poor love. It must go soon surely! Bread and soup the perfect food when low and poorly. Wishing you a good week, with a return to health. Sending lots of hugs. Things can only get better :)
Tessy

okbyxmas

Post by okbyxmas » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:56 am

Today was GREEN. I still have little appetite. I went light on breakfast then made a normal lunch which I ended up not finishing entirely. At supper I had a few scant spoonfuls of some corn chowder I'd made before realizing it needed to cook a little longer. While waiting for that I suddenly felt incredibly nauseous and didn't end up eating a bowl of it anyhow. Still feeling a bit icky so not tempted to snack before bed at all.

Not a very exciting N day.[/b]

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:10 am

Not an exciting one. But it was a green one!! Well done. I have been very impressed with how you have managed being unwell. Have a good week and be kind to yourself :) you are doing great.
Tessy

okbyxmas

Post by okbyxmas » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:24 pm

Thank you so much Tessy! I feel a little guilty because when I have no appetite it's easy to eat less and stick to No S rules, I guess. We'll see how I do with the rest of the week now that I'm starting to feel hungrier!

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:35 am

You can do it :) it does not matter I am sure why you were green the main thing is every day has helped to build your habit and strengthen it. Have a good day and start enjoying your food! You deserved it after the time you have had :)

jw

Post by jw » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:34 am

Glad you are starting to feel better, OK -- feeling sick works to curb the appetite, but we'd rather see you enjoying your food!

okbyxmas

Post by okbyxmas » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:21 pm

Thank you so much you two! I really am feeling better now. I have a lingering cough that is annoying but I have more energy and more appetite finally.

Yesterday turned out to be a surprise S day. I considered marking it as a red day but it wasn't a case of weakness. My family had a little surprise 'party' for me and my kiddo in the evening to celebrate her doing well at junior kindergarten and me feeling better. It was so thoughtful and nice that I wasn't going to refuse the gesture so I had some cake and treats and enjoyed it with my girl.

They sent home leftover cake with us but that is in reserve as a treat for kiddo when she gets home from school today.

eschano

Post by eschano » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:49 pm

Glad you're feeling better! I would also mark that as a Green day. Those special days that remain in your memory are exactly that Special Days - S-Days :)
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:20 pm

Definitely a valid S day event! If you had known about it you probably would have declared it such anyway. The surprise part was the tricky part but you made an appropriate decision IMO.

So glad you're finally feeling better & that your little one is doing well!

Linda

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:45 pm

Brilliant your feeling better and what a lovely treat. Good call to just enjoy it. That's 'normal' sensible happy eating in my opinion and quite right that you joined in and ate it :)
Tessy

okbyxmas

Post by okbyxmas » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:08 pm

Well yesterday was GREEN but today was big fat and RED!

Being at my mom's place is a bit of a danger zone as I have written about in the past. I usually do pretty well with it but there are certain times of the month when I am a bit weaker I guess (ahem ahem) and today I caved. There are two days of the week when I am in my mom's end of town so I spend those days working from her place rather than busing back home.

I did not need to eat chocolate crackles but I did eat chocolate crackles. Tomorrow will be thoroughly green, however, and I feel downright grumpy with myself about this. :x

jw

Post by jw » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:56 pm

Grumpy is a great reaction -- by tomorrow you'll be right on track again and next time you'll have a strategy for the chocolate crackles (what are they? they sound delicious!)

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:54 am

Sorry ok--how annoying!!just mark it and move on. Lesson learned & tomorrow will be better!

Linda

okbyxmas

Post by okbyxmas » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:51 pm

jw, they are pretty delicious! For how simple they are at least. Here's the recipe: http://andrecipes.wordpress.com/2008/06 ... -crackles/

That's exactly the recipe my mom always made for us as kids and now that she's retired she's resurrecting all kinds of delicious treats. These are best when they're completely cooled down or even chilled. If they're still hot they just fall apart and don't have that ooey gooey candy texture.

Thanks jw and Linda for the kind words. I'm not very upset about it; just irritated and exasperated with myself for caving on something that I could easily make on the weekend anyhow!

jw

Post by jw » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:04 pm

Thanks, ok! Just in time for an S day!

okbyxmas

Post by okbyxmas » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:12 pm

Yesterday was a GREEN day. I have no big eating plans for my S days this weekend other than a Cadbury's Flake I have stashed away for today. I will possibly indulge in a DQ Blizzard at some point as those are one of my favourite treats. Not sure I want to try the pumpkin pie one, though.

I feel like I should take it a bit easy on the Esses this weekend after being sick for so long and then having a red day on Thursday. I'll still have S days; just not go nuts or anything.