okbyxmas Daily Check In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

jw

Post by jw » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:26 pm

Listen to your body -- sweets are nice, but not always what you want! Our Dairy Queens all shut down on Labor Day, so a blizzard here won't be an option until Memorial Day (May 31-ish) of next year!
"The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective." -- El Fug

jw

Post by jw » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:05 pm

The internet ate my post -- just to say that sweets don't always sound good when you've been ill. I always want salt, myself -- I almost never eat fast food, but when I've been ill for a few days, I deeply crave MacDonald's fries for some reason. Listen to your body! Have a great weekend!
"The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective." -- El Fug

okbyxmas

Post by okbyxmas » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:31 am

The weekend was great! I enjoyed some esses but didn't go crazy. Then in the wee hours of Monday my kiddo woke up with an earache and now her dad is sick too. I just have to laugh because whaaaaat.

Today was unfortunately RED. I had a bit of a crazy morning with kiddo home from school and then when I got her to the doctor in the afternoon I caved and had a soda at the mall (our clinic is in the mall.) Looks like unexpected stress is a weak area for me.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:56 am

Sorry ok! About the continued illnesses & the soda. I always feel badly when people say they took a red day for a soda since I drink mochas and don't consider them a fail, but I guess it's all about personalizing this plan for each of us.

Hope tomorrow is better.

Linda
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:05 am

Oh dear you poor things! No wonder things went out of kilter. I am your sister in redness :) stress is definitely an over balancing thing! Another day today. Hang in there :)
Tessy

okbyxmas

Post by okbyxmas » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:54 pm

Linda, don't feel bad! We all have our personal guidelines. I don't allow myself sweetened drinks because I drink Coke Zero. Too much of it, but I do plan to wean myself off of it gradually. I didn't need to have that soda which is why I was so ticked off.

Tessy, thank you for your kind words! I admit that when I feel like giving up on myself after a red I think of your resolve and determination and it inspires my own.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:09 pm

okbyxmas wrote:Looks like unexpected stress is a weak area for me.
I think unexpected stress is a weak area for all humans! :)
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/18-25.6; 8/18-24.5; 10/18-23.8;
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
6/20-22.5; 7/20-23.0; 9/20-23.6
4/21 - 25.2

okbyxmas

Post by okbyxmas » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:01 pm

Yesterday was GREEN. With kiddo being sick I'm not getting a lot of sleep currently so I don't have a lot of energy for updating but I want to make a point of at least recording some things! I hope everyone is having a good week!

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:52 am

I don't know how you are managing this but it is so impressive, being green on any days when there is so much upheaval in your life at the moment is brilliant. Having a poorly child and a poorly self is miserable and your determination is pretty amazing. Well done you!!
Tessy

okbyxmas

Post by okbyxmas » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:15 am

Thank you so much, Tessy! I really didn't expect so much sickness to be happening during my first couple of months of No S, that's for sure!

Kiddo is feeling better enough. I managed another GREEN day yesterday but possibly only due to not having much around here to snack on anyhow! I made a lovely loaf of bread and had some of that for breakfast and lunch, then dinner was a simple stir fry. I wasn't very hungry yesterday, really.

jw

Post by jw » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:30 pm

Hope you and your family are feeling better, OK -- what a way to lose your appetite :( S days ahead -- hope you can enjoy!

okbyxmas

Post by okbyxmas » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:01 pm

Thank you jw! I'm feeling much better and have been for a bit. My partner and kiddo are having trouble shaking it (just like I did) but we're headed off for a family Thanksgiving dinner today and hopefully will all enjoy it.

Today's an S day, obviously, since it's Canadian Thanksgiving. I'm taking two loaves of homemade bread. My bread making has been coming along nicely and I think I've found a definite new hobby! I didn't expect to enjoy it this much.

I hope everyone has a wonderful Monday!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:28 pm

Glad you're feeling better & hope you have a great thanksgiving.

My DH keeps wanting me to make bread but, although I love to cook, have never been much of a baker. Sounds like you're enjoying it though so maybe I'll have to give it a try!

Linda

okbyxmas

Post by okbyxmas » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:20 am

Thanks Linda! Thanksgiving was fantastic and my bread went over really well. People couldn't get enough of it. I was super intimidated by it going in but it's really like doing magic! I have been following a no-knead process (http://www.simplysogood.com/2013/03/art ... bread.html) and it amazes me every time that something that hangs out in a bowl and looks like a jerk for 12-18 hours ends up baking into a gorgeous loaf of bread!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:46 am

So awesome--you totally crack me up w/ your description. Definitely going to check that out.

Thanks!
Linda

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:55 am

Hi there. Just wanted to say how brilliant about the bread. I started making my own bread some years ago, took me a while to get it right but now it is second nature, a habit!! There is some comfort in that for me so thanks for reminding me. I find it really theraputic but also very rewarding. Because as you say it is just a wet lump and then it becomes a lovely crusty loaf - awesome and transformative. Enjoy :lol:
Tessy

okbyxmas

Post by okbyxmas » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:49 pm

Tessytwinkle wrote:Hi there. Just wanted to say how brilliant about the bread. I started making my own bread some years ago, took me a while to get it right but now it is second nature, a habit!! There is some comfort in that for me so thanks for reminding me. I find it really theraputic but also very rewarding. Because as you say it is just a wet lump and then it becomes a lovely crusty loaf - awesome and transformative. Enjoy :lol:
Tessy
I love that way of looking at it, Tessy! And you are so right about the bread taking a while to master. I feel like every loaf I bake is an improvement on the last and I keep learning every time. Today was the first day I threw a loaf together without my recipe in front of me and it felt so great to just know how to do it.

Linda; do give it a try! The no-knead is a good one to start with because there's no kneading, obviously, but kneading is a very calming activity for me so I'm finding I really don't mind making other more involved breads as well. And even though I LOVE eating these breads being able to give them to a friend or loved one feels amazing.

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:50 am

I am still learning with bread, but that stage you have reached, making bread without the recipe in front of you , was a real milestone. Funny, I now realise when I make bread it is all about my senses, how it feels, how it looks, how it smells, and best of all how it tastes :lol: :lol: giving bread to others is so special, you are right. When my friend was so ill I started to make bread every week for them. Now he has died I still make his partner, another dear friend, a loaf of bread very week, it is a sign of love and she says it nourishes and sustains her. Keep making the bread you brilliant woman :lol: even better it is allowed on noS hooray !!
Tessy

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:48 pm

You guys are really inspiring me to give the bread making a try. How wonderful it be to be able to bring freshly baked loaves to friends!

Hope all is well okbyxmas!

Linda

okbyxmas

Post by okbyxmas » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:43 pm

Things are fine (thank you, Linda) but I do have to write yesterday off as RED because I tested some of my egg-free challah between meals. :oops: It was a cinnamon-swirl loaf and the smell...

Yeah, that is one way that the bread-making can be dangerous! Delicious bread is so delicious!

Onward and all that, of course. I'm going to finish out this week green so as to only have one red marring it.

Tessy I love your story about making bread for your dear friend and his partner. I want to be able to give my mom a couple of loaves a week and I'm so looking forward to teaching my kiddo how to bake it with me.

Linda I am a bit obsessed with baking bread right now but I think it's something I'm going to be forever grateful I learned.

In other news things are just really busy and nutty around here as usual. Kiddo had a 3 a.m. ER visit Tuesday night/ Wednesday morning so I was pretty out of it yesterday. She's fine, though. Better safe than sorry and all that when it comes to nighttime pains, I guess.

okbyxmas

Post by okbyxmas » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:17 pm

Well, friends, this week has been an utter write-off. I received some bad health news (not fatal, just worrisome) and some other negative personal things have been happening. As well my partner's grandpa had a bad accident and has just passed away. All in all a terrible week for us and I have not been focused on No S at all.

We're going to have to travel for the funeral, probably this weekend, so I'm going to start fresh on Monday and refocus entirely. I'm sorry I've been absent but things have been a bit overwhelming. :(

jw

Post by jw » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:31 pm

I am so sorry to hear you are having a rough patch, ok -- please take care of yourself! Sending healing and calming thoughts your way . . .

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:55 pm

Big *hugs* and hope things get better soon. Just come back when you're ready.

Linda

okbyxmas

Post by okbyxmas » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:54 pm

Thanks, you two. The death of grandpa is especially difficult because Nana has been in a home for a few years now as her mind declines and her care just got a lot more complicated with him gone. Everyone is worried and anxious about what to do next.

Sorry to pop back in with such drama. This is a definite rough patch but things will improve.

Kittykat150

Post by Kittykat150 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:29 pm

All my best, Okbychristmas. Life's challenges cannot be avoided. I send you peace and love through this. Hope you are back soon.
Kat
"Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn." -Harriet Beecher Stowe

okbyxmas

Post by okbyxmas » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:28 pm

Hello No S friends! Took a deep breath this morning and steadied myself for a green day! So far so good. We did not end up traveling this weekend but my partner has been on the phone non-stop with his parents and other family members as they try to figure out what to do with nana and grandpa's belongings (of which there are many.) It was a busy weekend and things are getting sorted out. Turns out that grandpa does not want a wake or funeral, just a simple small memorial. That will be held in the new year, probably.

I'm still baking a lot of bread. It does help me relax and focus on something else so I'm glad for it. I'm finding I don't like to eat it much, though, as I have been feeling kind of unwell after eating a lot of it. Perhaps I am much more sensitive to gluten than I previously thought? No matter; I do still love to bake for others!

Hope all has been well for everyone else.

jw

Post by jw » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:13 pm

Belated thanks for that bread blog you posted, OK -- I tried it over the weekend and it is fantastically easy and very crusty and chewy, just the way it should be! A small loaf, too, which will insure that I don't overdo it. After so many years as a low carb gal, it is a real luxury to bake good bread again.

My sympathies again on your loss. It's good to have you back.

okbyxmas

Post by okbyxmas » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:28 am

jw wrote:Belated thanks for that bread blog you posted, OK -- I tried it over the weekend and it is fantastically easy and very crusty and chewy, just the way it should be! A small loaf, too, which will insure that I don't overdo it. After so many years as a low carb gal, it is a real luxury to bake good bread again.

My sympathies again on your loss. It's good to have you back.
Thank you jw! I'm so glad you're enjoying the bread! Is that the no-knead you're making? It's such a nice loaf. So hearty and delicious.

Today was GREEN. I had a somewhat big supper but that was after having only a banana and piece of bread for lunch. I kept it to one plate, at least. ;)

jw

Post by jw » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:31 am

Yes, the no-knead -- I have made regular kneaded bread and even sourdough years ago, but this was new to me, so easy! And I like the results better!

okbyxmas

Post by okbyxmas » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:51 am

I am terrible about reading and posting right now but I'm just finding that life is so busy! I thought I would have more time to do things once kiddo hit school age but somehow my days get eaten up even more so. I am still enjoying baking as a hobby and now I am learning to sew with a friend. I'm also considering taking a big leap and going back to school full-time in January!

I'm still No-Essing and doing OK. Mostly Green days with a slip here and there to keep me humble. I am really suspecting that I am a bit intolerant of gluten so have been considering cutting way back on it. You'd think with the bread baking I'd have a hard time with that but I do give away far more than I eat!

Anyhow, just wanted to pop in and say I'm still no-essing, just not posting a lot.

Kittykat150

Post by Kittykat150 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:39 am

Good to see you are still with us. Christmas is looming!
Kat
"Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn." -Harriet Beecher Stowe

jw

Post by jw » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:54 pm

Wow -- school full time is exciting! Good for you! And you'll be going into a new venture with some good, well-established habits. Sounds like you are OK well before Xmas!

okbyxmas

Post by okbyxmas » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:54 am

Thanks you two! I've applied for the program I want and am just waiting to hear back. Then we have to figure out finances... ick.

In other news I'm still No Essing along. Kiddo didn't get very good Halloween candy this year so most of it wasn't much of a temptation for me. I took Halloween day as an S day just in case, though. :lol:

I never did get that bike I wanted so badly ( :( ) so I'm going to take up Urban Rangering instead. I used to go for a daily walk and it made such a difference. I can make that fit into my schedule for sure.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:17 pm

Glad to see you're doing well and still around! Good luck w school stuff--very exciting!!