automated eating tracker

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Thu May 08, 2014 11:10 pm

My kid has no food issues. I've never had to 'control' his food in any way. He eats if he's hungry, doesn't eat if he's not and even when he was little, he would rather not eat than eat junk.

He does eat when he gets home from school - because he's hungry. He's growing a lot, and even if his body is in a chair at school, his brain works hard - and a busy brain uses a lot of energy. Most people forget that and only figure what the muscles use.

As for a pre-swim lesson snack - I remember as a kid how hungry swimming lessons made me. I think an intentional fourth meal sounds like a good solution.
'I do think the way to a full and healthy life is to adopt the sensible system of small helpings, no seconds, no snacking, and a little bit of everything. Above all, have a good time.' Julia Child

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Fri May 09, 2014 12:12 am

I love some of your systems (especially the no spending a couple of days a week), and I think an after school snack is perfectly normal. My 6 year old goes to school full time, and when he comes home from school, he's always starving!

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Fri May 09, 2014 2:48 am

Thursday, Week 37
NoSEating-N Day
B: coffee with cream
L: spaghetti, apple
D: teriyaki chicken and rice, green beans
JustMoveIt-N Day
walked to/from work
StrategicSpending-N Day
All Clear
KidsUnplugged-N Day
All Clear
RaisingReaders-N Day
Still have to log 30 minutes

Thanks for the feedback about after school snacks for kids.

And Linda, you might have just hit the nail on the head about why my S days have gotten a little wild. Hmmm, think I'll just ride this wave. Or try at least. No harm in falling.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/18-25.6; 8/18-24.5; 10/18-23.8;
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
6/20-22.5; 7/20-23.0; 9/20-23.6
4/21 - 25.2

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Fri May 09, 2014 2:13 pm

Friday, Week 37
NoSEating-N Day
L: pot roast, teriyaki chicken and mashed potatoes (yes, finishing off some left-overs!), diet coke
D: (will be) filet mignon stir fry at the local hibachi grill!
JustMoveIt-S Day
Rest Day
StrategicSpending-N Day
Well, I'm not spending today, but our whole family is going out to dinner with another family to the hibachi grill and that place is spendy! We are beginning the birthday celebrations for my 4-yr-old (who turns 5 on Monday).
KidsUnplugged-N Day
we'll see!
Update: All Clear
RaisingReaders-N Day
We'll see! It might be a challenge because the 8-yr-old wants to spend the night with a friend. Maybe I can get the reading in before neighborhood kids get home from school at 4pm. But that means we need to finish schoolwork early, too. So, we'll see!
Update: got it in before 4pm. :)
Last edited by automatedeating on Sun May 11, 2014 3:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

Kookie

Post by Kookie » Fri May 09, 2014 4:28 pm

Hey auto,

Just stopping by to say 'howdy'! I hear you on the S days gone wilder recently. I started to notice this too, even if it was just an increased 'salivation' for a wild 's' day - I'm feeling that at the moment. For me, I think it's going to help having N day meals which incorporate some things which somehow I only eat on S days even though they're not S foods eg/ banana and almond butter on gluten free wraps. They are fine on N days - why am I saving them for S days? I can already feel myself relaxing when I think about not being too strict about content on N days. But maybe it doesn't apply for you!

Also, as you are losing weight, it could just be the natural tendency of the body to resist change...it is stressful for the body to lose or gain weight. I've read about it a lot. It's the whole 'set point theory'. So maybe your body is responding to the weight loss by trying to get you to eat more when it can? Or a latent fear of being at goal weight?

Anyway, you'll figure it out (or not!) and continue to inspire us!

:lol:

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sun May 11, 2014 4:02 pm

Thanks for the thoughts, Kookie. I continue to mull it over, but yet another life lesson NoS is teaching me (and Oolala), is that sometimes I don't need to know WHY I'm doing something. I just need to decide what I WILL do. In my case, I am not going to worry about my S Days until August 25th, 2014--that will be my 1 year anniversary for NoS. Maybe they'll sort themselves out by then. If not, I'll look at them a bit more closely.

Saturday, Week 37
NoSEating-S Day
B: 2 bowls of honey nut cheerios, coffee with cream
L: pizza at Costco, a few bites of strawberry sundae, a couple samples
Dessert: 4 Belgian chocolates
Note: at this point in the day I was like--whoa, I am overfull, gross. So I made a cconcerted effort to not eat again until I was hungry, which wasn't until about 8pm. So the day may still look wild, but there was a bit of a self-arrest in there that I feel good about.
D: mini-bag of chips, chocolate milkshake, 5 Hershey kisses
wine
JustMoveIt-S Day
Went for a 4-mile hike with 2 friends early in the morning up a nearby mountain.
StrategicSpending-S Day
Costco groceries (and a few last minute items for son's birthday party tomorrow)
Costco gas
Hannibal episode off Amazon (my husband and I LOVE that show! It's a cerebral horror)
paid bills--we are way over in the Entertainment category already....I underestimated the cost of our anniversary outing. I'm going to land pretty much square on my estimate for the Gifts/Celebrations category for my son's birthday, though. So that's a small victory.
We are doing great in the Dining Out category.
Also still doing well in the Saving Category, which is absolutely key for us to be able to make it through the summer (no pay then) and still be able to go to Disneyland/visit relatives at Christmas.
It's a little disheartening to see that our increasing childcare expenses are going to eat up the vast majority of my husband's raise (starting in September). Homeschooling is almost as expense as private school, when both parents work! Sheesh...
KidsUnplugged-S Day
The new ipad game they like is called "Battle Beach". My husband is into that one too, now.
RaisingReaders-S Day
Reading Rest Day

And here's another fascinating story about my preschooler.
He turns 5 on Monday, and so in my state is technically old enough for kindergarten. However, I have felt reluctant to have him do kindergarten in the fall; he doesn't seem emotionally mature enough yet. His preschool teacher confirmed this to me and emphasized that he is simply not interested in learning how to hold his pencil or learn the difference between an A and B. Since he doesn't even know his letters AND he can't hold still (she said) I should wait a year.

Well, I just listened to her and didn't really think much about it until I got home. But how weird! He can read already, he writes all of his letters beautifully, and he sits still SO much better than my older son did at that age! Academically, I think he's somewhat advanced, actually.

I did finally email her and expressed how strange that he acts one way at school (evidently hyper and uninterested), but at home he's focused, reads, and writes! What a dichotomy! What's up with that? And I should add, she's a sweet teacher--I don't blame her for this situation at all.

In the big scheme of things, this is not a big deal. I'm actually very content to wait a year more before calling him a "kindergartener", and this experience just confirms all the reasons I homeschool! :) That said, having my kids stay with other homeschooling families while I'm at work may be super fun for them, but is cha-ching expensive for me.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Mon May 12, 2014 12:04 am

Sunday, Week 38
NoSEating-S Day
B: coffee with cream, bacon, eggs and hashbrowns
L: chocolate milkshake, diet coke
D: beef chimichanga, chips, salsa, guacamole, beans, rice
wine

JustMoveIt-S Day
walked for about 90 minutes with 4-yr old (on his last day of being 4). He rode his bike.

StrategicSpending-S Day
Didn't spend anything today
While my husband took the kids out to the lake, I enjoyed (really, I did!) going through my calendar and planning out our summer, as well as the finances necessary to get things done.

I realized my budget needs to have some new categories, such as: Kids Activities, Golfing (my husband really only does this in the summer, but it is spendy!), and Vacations.

I'm finding myself wondering which categories is it important to have items "roll over" to the next month (for example, $200/month saved for vacations for two months = $400 available to use). I see the logic in that, but I don't think I want to be doing that in the "dining out" category or the "entertainment" category.

I am going to take my younger son on a couple of outings later in the summer after football starts for my older son. I'm looking forward to some one-on-one time with him. One of my ideas includes a train ride. :)

KidsUnplugged-S Day
My husband took the boys and a friend to the lake for about 3 hours! So there was a nice break in there from electronics. My 8-yr-old is outside somewhere looking for snakes, the 4-yr-old and I are taking turns playing Plants vs. Zombies. Then we are going to watch Monsters, University together. :)

RaisingReaders-N Day
Going for 30 minutes tonight. I think we'll read some picture books and then a little of the third Incorrigibles book. Linda, if you happen to read this, the third one is my favorite so far! :) Although my older son thinks I've decided that too early in the book (we're only in the 5th chapter)!
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Mon May 12, 2014 4:06 am

automatedeating wrote:I'm finding myself wondering which categories is it important to have items "roll over" to the next month (for example, $200/month saved for vacations for two months = $400 available to use). I see the logic in that, but I don't think I want to be doing that in the "dining out" category or the "entertainment" category.
Savings categories are the main ones that I roll over.

Others that may roll over (if you have the same categories I do!):
- Gifts - I have an allowance per month, but of course Christmas / Wedding season are higher than other times of the year
- Clothing - I am not a big personal shopper, I tend to leave things until my clothes are threadbare and the heels fall off my favourite shoes. So, I assign a reasonable amount each month, but I'm likely to go clothes shopping for myself only 3 or 4 times a year.
- Large annual bills - e.g. car rego, strata levy, council rates, water rates: at certain times of the year we are hit with big annual bills totalling multiple thousands of dollars. But of course, no one wants to wait for a several thousand dollar bill and then go "oh hell, that all has to come from this paycheck?" So, I worked out what we need to have set aside each month so that when those big bills come in the payment just happens.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Tue May 13, 2014 2:00 am

Excellent input, ironchef. That's exactly the kind of information I was hoping to get from others. It also seems doable for me.

Monday, Week 38
132.5: the last two Mondays have been "weighty" evidence of my wild S Days. In the past 8 months, I have literally never seen 2 pound gains over a weekend (until the last couple of weekends, that is). Unlike many posters, I have been generally surprised at how stable my weight has been, with just a gentle downward trend. I suspect I am seeing the convergence of two "weather" patterns: 1. I am nearing my body's naturally healthy weight (not skinny at all, but healthy for me); and 2. water retention from eating more carby desserts all weekend. In any case, I am emotionally OK at this point at letting it ride. I'll take care of N Days, and not worry about S Days (although it's virtually impossible for me to not talk about what I'm observing!).
NoSEating-S Day
L: PB&J
Dessert: Birthday cake!
D: pizza
JustMoveIt-N Day
walked to/from work
StrategicSpending-S Day
Birthday party at indoor play area
pizza
KidsUnplugged-N/S Day
One exception: Wreck-It Ralph after dinner (the movie was a present for my now 5-yr old)
RaisingReaders-S Day
Reading Rest day, although I have a feeling I'll be reading tonight--just later than I'd like to!
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue May 13, 2014 3:24 am

Just a quick thought on the wild S days. I remember you saying recently that you were ready to cut down your portion size a bit. Maybe the wild S days are your subconscious rebelling against this? I know that even just thoughts of traditionally dieting can trigger feelings of rebellion in me.

It's probably a long shot but just wanted to put it out there in case. We all know how unreliable Monday weigh-ins can be after wild S days so I'm sure you're weight will go down a bit throughout the week with calmer eating.

You're attitude is good though & that will carry you through no matter the reason!

Linda
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Tue May 13, 2014 7:04 am

My weight is always a little higher on Mondays, but it settles down by Wednesday. It sounds like you have a good perspective on S Days.

sweetaj

Post by sweetaj » Tue May 13, 2014 1:09 pm

Do you weigh in on any other days of the week? Weighing in on Mondays would scare me even though I know it's typically only water weight gain from eating more sweets. When I was being "good", I liked my Saturday morning weigh ins because they showed a nice loss after being on track for 5 days.
Restarting Feb 16, 2015
2/16 177.6

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Wed May 14, 2014 12:14 am

Sweetaj, I weigh about 4 days a week. Some mornings I just forget. Like this morning, for example! :)
Tuesday, Week 38
NoSEating-N Day
L: fettuccine, salad, garlic bread
D: ham
JustMoveIt-N Day
walked to/from work
StrategicSpending-N Day
All Clear
KidsUnplugged-N Day
All Clear
RaisingReaders-N Day
Still have 30 minutes to log
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

eschano

Post by eschano » Wed May 14, 2014 9:21 am

Auto, since I am doing my SavingToBuyAMiniYacht I admire you even more, if that is possible. I find it nearly impossible not to spend money on two days a week and have no idea how you manage five! I feel like having the same revelation as when I started NoS at the beginning and suddenly realised how much I snack and how much everyone around me snacks. Now I realise how many micro-spendings are going out daily. 2 pounds here and there. No wonder I'm saving less than I think.

So thank you very very much for your StrategicSpending system - it is teaching me invaluable lessons!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Wed May 14, 2014 8:59 pm

Hi eschano,
So cool that you are finding your spending experiment fun and enlightening!

Wednesday, Week 38
132.9 (sheesh!)
NoSEating-N Day
L: leftover chicken and rice; leftover fettuccine
D: not yet
JustMoveIt-N Day
walked to/from work
StrategicSpending-N Day
All Clear
KidsUnplugged-N Day
Fail! I let them watch Wreck It Ralph this morning when I left for work.
RaisingReaders-N Day
have 1 hour to log tonight
fail--made it to 1/2 hour

I'm feeling a little weird. A little.... antisocial.... on the forum lately. I usually try to welcome newcomers, chime in to discussions, etc., but I'm in a bit of a funk lately. It's probably due to a variety of factors, but I think it started with the bite-counting posts on the general board. That does something funny to my head and makes me want to argue and avoid at the same time. Weird, but true.

Anyway, then to compound my weird feeling--I've had two friends spontaneously decide they want to do the NoSDiet (they've known I've been doing it the whole time), and both of them are slender and I don't think should worry about their eating at all. One is 40 and the other 38; obviously, whatever they were currently doing was working for them. I don't know why, but seeing them cut back and try to restrict themselves is bothering me. And then one of them told me she went "wild" on sweets her first weekend (and previously had not eaten many sweets) and I thought, "Oh, no! That's what people have been discussing on the boards!"

And the third factor has just been me thinking that I don't lose weight very easily or something. When I see other people losing so fast, I feel like I'm "losing" some sort of competition. See how messed up I am?????? Anyway, this last factor has a clear solution: stop comparing myself to others!!!! :) And be grateful for the very pleasant and healthy body that I have!!!!
Last edited by automatedeating on Fri May 16, 2014 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

jellybeans01

Post by jellybeans01 » Wed May 14, 2014 9:45 pm

Hey girl, I follow you and a few others from time to time. I am a long standing no ser. About 5 years now. It has been off and on as I have had 3 babies in that time frame. Your an inspiration and I love how you are raising readers and letting this discipline flow into other areas of your life. So just Stay calm and no s on. Don't worry about others ideas or comments. Or about your slender friends. I tend to run slimmer than most of my friends, and they probably are annoyed that I diet but I am at the top end of my range and I don't like that. I have had to come to the conclusion that I am and never will be a naturally thin person, that no s in not perfect but I make it work for me. My only personal suggestion and I am only trying to help, I notice like me you are a coffee cream breakfast person. I started to implement this into s days. I follow that habit and for some reason just starting off right usually(not always) but usually flows to the rest of the day. Keep up the good work! it is so impressive!!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed May 14, 2014 11:43 pm

Auto: I totally get the anti-social thing. I get bouts of feeling like this every now and then. The bite counting thing seems crazy obsessive to me. I avoid all post regarding it & in fact I rarely go on the general boards. (Sorry just IMO but feel the need to be honest).

I also don't talk about NoS or dieting in general. Protect yourself against triggers that lead to confusion and self-doubt.

Also, I worry that you put too much emphasize on numbers. Being a certain lower weight doesn't mean you're going to be any better off than you are right now. There is probably a range of weight ( 10-15 lbs ) where you are equally beautiful & healthy. I know plenty of people that would be considered to be in the overweight category but are esthetically quite beautiful & vice versa.

There isn't some magically number that's suddenly going to make everything perfect. Not that you should give up your goals or anything but consider the arbitrary nature of weight goals perhaps.

Anyway, sorry if this is all just unwanted advice but just wanting to help.

Linda

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Thu May 15, 2014 12:28 am

To tell you the truth, I"m feeling a bit anti-social - or something - myself. I get torn between wanting to have a little bit of camaraderie - the idea that someone, somewhere thinks at least somewhat like I do - and not wanting to constantly think about and analyse what and how I eat.

I am expressing it so badly. Sorry.

I haven't told anyone what I'm doing. I figure in about a year (if it keeps up at the present rate) I may lose 10 or 15 pounds (although it's extremely unlikely that I'll lose that much, if any) and someone might notice. If they do, I'll tell 'em then :)
'I do think the way to a full and healthy life is to adopt the sensible system of small helpings, no seconds, no snacking, and a little bit of everything. Above all, have a good time.' Julia Child

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Thu May 15, 2014 4:20 am

hey auto,
I go through phases of sociability, and also at the moment I'm very busy at home and at work so just don't have time to keep up as much as I'd like. Luckily there are enough people and positive energy here that someone will chime in if others aren't.

Discussions I often avoid on the board: counting (bites, calories, carbs, etc), "diet / nutrition" stuff. I'll also be honest, I always skip those parts of check-in posts where people list out what they eat. Why? Because all those are things I've done in the past (writing down everything I eat, calorie counting, paleo, low carb, etc, etc) and things I came to No-S to get away from.

The wonderful thing here is that the board is big enough and a nice enough place that all of this stuff can coexist. People who love vanilla and reject SADs can potter along, people who combine No-S with other diets and rules can discuss, experiment and find support as well. But there isn't a rule that you have to read, comment on or support things that are triggering for you.

Also, on your slim friends, just because whatever they were doing was working from an external point of view, doesn't mean it was "working" for them. I've never been out of a healthy BMI range - I just spent my adult life either dieting down from the top to the bottom or eating my way from the bottom to the top. I might have looked like what I was doing was "working", but No-S is the first time I've felt peace and enjoyment around food.

[Edited to apologise for long, meta digression post!]

eschano

Post by eschano » Thu May 15, 2014 9:06 am

Hi Auto,
I'm glad you said this because look at all the outpour of support! As you know, I feel counting bites is like an eating disorder and avoiding that kind of obsessive behaviour (calorie counting included) is certainly what I came to NoS for.
As for losing slowly: Have you ever seen the skin of a person who loses a lot of weight very fast? It's not pretty. I promise, your body needs to lose slowly for it to still be as healthy as it can be.
As for your friends: do they have a history of dieting? This might just be the next diet they are trying out but unless they adopt NoS as a life-style it will pass very soon. Clearly one of your friends isn't getting great benefits if it gets her bingeing. Don't worry about them.
We all admire you and want the very best for you. If that means staying away from the boards you will be missed but we all understand. In the meantime, it might be worth trying not going on the general board as Linda does :)
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

chani8

Post by chani8 » Thu May 15, 2014 1:26 pm

Hi Auto, just popping in to visit. Can't help but comment on the dichotomy between your child's behavior in school and at home. I think this just confirms that homeschooling is good for him. If he is introverted, and especially if he is very visual (vs. auditory), then school may just be over-stimulating for him. Some kids get hyperactive when overstimulated and some shut down. By 3rd grade it seems teachers are encouraging Ritalin for both types. Hope that doesn't happen for your boy.

Just to maybe help you feel more compassion (and not annoyance) toward those "diet counters", the fact that it seems like an eating disorder to need to count, is because it is. For people with eating disorders, counting cals or bites helps put an extra boundary around eating.

Look, when I tried doing No S vanilla, I was overeating with every meal, feeling anxiety with every meal, and binge eating on Yes S days. I just couldn't get a grip. Add in counting cals, and I'm back on target, doing well again. For those of you with a normal relationship with food, and who are able to eat like a mentch, you don't need to count. You have your selected Yes S treats and you're good. Not so for those of us with ED. If I get triggered, I'll literally eat until I want to puke. Something weird with my brain, because with sweets or certain snack foods, without counting cals, I totally lose it.

My point is, the No S Diet combined with counting, is truly a great answer for those of us with unhealthy relationships with food. <blush> I wish it weren't necessary, but it just is, and the relief of counting cals again is real.

Does that help? I poured out my soul here. Hoping you see that differences are ok. I've never been on the main board, not even sure where it is, and you maybe should go tell it like it is, that it isn't No S vanilla, and is ED related, but now maybe you'll be able to do that without feeling annoyed? With compassion, instead, for us ED'ers.

<Hanging head in embarrassment and going back to MFP> Miss you guys! You're all really special people!

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Fri May 16, 2014 1:44 am

jellybeans---thank you very much for taking the time to comment on my crazy thread. :) Your idea may just be perfect for me! That is, the idea about starting my S Days with coffee and cream instead of breakfast. The only hitch is on those mornings when my husband makes a late-ish big breakfast with all the yummy stuff. Hmmm, I wonder if I could stick to two meals on S Days? I'll be pondering how my emotions handle the prospect of keeping my S Days a little more like N Days, structure-wise (that is, no snacks and only 2 meals).
Anyway, I just want you to know that your post really made me feel special--thanks!

Linda--thanks for the encouragement. I actually was thinking about you when I was starting to get into this new phase of not-all-smiles-about-NoS. :) I thought, "this might be a little bit of how Linda feels!" :) And thanks for the reminder about the numbers-issue. I don't usually consider myself in the category of over-worrying about my numbers, but I guess just the fact that I put it in my signature and weigh almost every day should be evidence that the numbers are a big deal to me. Maybe too big of a deal. I will ponder. Thanks for sharing your thoughts honestly.

Dandelion--your post made me smile. Thanks.

ironchef, you are a very bright lady. Reading your post had me thinking, not for the first time, I wonder what your IQ is. :lol: Anyway, you're absolutely right that I don't need to read the posts about topics that tend to make me feel weird. Sometimes I read stuff that I know will bother me! Why would I do that? I should stop. And your last comment about slender people not necessarily having found peace with food. Excellent point, and one I should not have glossed over. Peace can come at any size....which ties right in with Linda's insightful post, as well. (BTW, ironchef--I would have loved to have read your digression). Oh, and you have my blessing to skip any food entries I ever make! :)

Eschano, thanks for always being supportive of whatever paths we choose. Yeah, I have let the bite-counting thing get to me way more than I should have. And BTW, I'm not going anywhere. I'm just going to try and stay away from the controversial threads for the time-being.

Chani, did I sound annoyed? I reread my post and I honestly didn't think I sounded annoyed about bite-counting. I think a more accurate word to describe how I sounded was "anxious".

Thursday, Week 38
NoSEating
L: chicken pot pie, clementines
D: 2 salmon burgers, bag of chips
JustMoveIt
walked to/from work
StrategicSpending
All Clear!
KidsUnplugged
Fail--my goodness, what a week of electronics. It's like a whole "birthday-week" for my 5-yr old.
RaisingReaders
Aiming for 30 minutes
Update--FAIL. We had neighbor friends over until late. No opportunity to read at all. My goodness, what a fail-heavy week. In hindsight, I should have just marked the entire "birthday" week for my younger son as an S week for reading and electronics! That would have been preferable to so many fails this week. Hopefully I'll be back on track next week.
Last edited by automatedeating on Sat May 17, 2014 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

chani8

Post by chani8 » Fri May 16, 2014 5:43 am

Soory, Auto, you said they made you feel weird. I shouldn't have defined weird for you. When you said you wanted to argue or avoid it made me think you were annoyed. Or maybe I was projecting, because the counting bites thing annoys me.

What I was trying to say was is that you are right about it being ED, as it very much resembles anorexic behavior, but for overeaters, it's trading a fattening ED for one that will help with weight loss.

There is actually an ED for health freaks, too, called Orthorexia nervosa, whereby the person won't eat anything that doesn't fit their health freak beliefs, which get narrower over time. Was it you who told me to just go eat a burrito or something normal? ;) My daughter said the same thing. It resulted in a month long binge on chocolate, but at least I got over the orthoexia shtick. Moderation truly is the key.

I'll stop now. I was going for a little deep discussion, not trying to make you feel misunderstood.

eschano

Post by eschano » Fri May 16, 2014 12:55 pm

I'm glad you're not going anywhere auto! I'd miss you too much :)

As for your new NoS struggles: so the honeymoon phase might be over but I promise it comes back again if you make it through this anxious patch.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Fri May 16, 2014 1:16 pm

Thanks, eschano. :) I was just thinking that on my walk home last night--that if I do find my way through this, it will just be a part of my NoS journey that I can support others through if this happens.

Chani, sorry to correct you again, but I didn't say anything about eating disorders in my post. In fact, I didn't know what ED stood for at first (I did figure it as I read through things again)! :) Now, that said, you may well be right about certain types of counting being part of an eating disorder--I just am ignorant about eating disorders and would never presume I know much about them. I definitely think you're on to something with the "orthexia", though--in fact, my past has some of that in it and I am still rebelling against changing up what's on my plate because of it!

Chani, I think there is most definitely room for deep discussion about the topic of eating disorders somewhere on this forum. I just would not want to chime in on such a discussion unless I was asking questions--I wouldn't presume to give answers! :wink:
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

chani8

Post by chani8 » Fri May 16, 2014 1:38 pm

Haha, Auto, you're right. My bad. You said weird and I keep trying to define weird for you. Now I understand, you just mean weird. ;)

Ursula

Post by Ursula » Fri May 16, 2014 5:45 pm

Hi, Auto! Since you were nice enough to welcome me on my check-in page, I thought I would mosey over to your page to check it out. Wowza! I love the lively discussions going on. I am about to pee in my pants b/c I won't stop reading to go to the bathroom.

Especially your feelings about bite counting. That struck a chord because my latest wacky diet was one I lifted from here! I lasted 1.5 days on the 5-Bite diet which sent me into my last binge and FINALLY brought me to my knees and back to Vanilla (this time) No S. I feel perfectly comfortable commenting on EDs since I have carried this lovely label for most of my life and am SO sick of it. And I don't care what anyone says, there is something magical about No S for me: I may still binge on S days, but it is a real miracle how those N days with their sweet-free filling meals bring such peace and normalcy into my life. And inevitable weight loss to boot. No counting, just following, meal to meal, the signals that God gave me. Dieting messes with those signals every time. So I understand your, may I call it discomfort?, with mods that start sounding borderline ED-y: when I am in the grips of my ED those are the threads I seek out and devour. And those are the threads I need to avoid. BTW: no "instructive" commentary or criticism towards worrisome eating patterns will ever be taken in the spirit in which it is intended. I say this knowing my own defensiveness towards anyone who every gently tried to suggest that maybe what I was doing with food wasn't so healthy. AA is right: we all have to hit our own bottom.

Other than all that, a lovely weekend to you and your family!
49 years old
5'6"
5-14-14: 144.4 (NoS Reboot)

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."
Victor Frankl

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Fri May 16, 2014 10:46 pm

Ah...that word 'presume'. Maybe that's why I do enjoy your posts so much. There are others who don't hesitate to presume they know what, when and how much or how little - someone else should eat, based on what is right for them - and then share their criticism as if it was their business.

I tend to stay away from those :)

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Sat May 17, 2014 12:42 am

I just wanted to say I hope you find a solution that works for you. I, too, am a slow loser, and I struggle with comparing myself to others, so I can relate.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sat May 17, 2014 5:14 pm

Chani--it's all good. Thanks for being a good sport about it.
Ursula--wow, thanks for your articulate post. How enlightening for me. Thanks for sharing.
Dandelion--your complimentary post made me glow. That is the kind of compliment I treasure. Thanks!
Clarinetgal--thanks for the support.
Eschano--I thought the honeymoon had ended months ago! :lol: I see now that that was a mere blip compared to the self-doubts and second-thoughts I am having now! I can see my future posts already, "Oh, dear "username", I can totally relate. At about 9 months into NoS, I felt exactly the same way! Don't worry, stay the course--it'll pass". :)

Saturday, Week 38
130.9 -- finally back to where I was before 2 weeks ago. 4 S Days in a row for my anniversary and then 3 S Days in a row for my son's birthday definitely reminded me of what will happen to my weight if I throw NoS out the window. Somewhat disconcerting, actually. But it shouldn't surprise me. My whole reason for starting NoS was to instill structure into my eating that our culture and my own personal upbringing had not given me. So, naturally, it makes sense that if I were to give up my newfound structure, I would gradually gain weight, just like I was doing pre-NoS.

I am posting at about 10am on Saturday morning. I'm trying something a little different (and a first) for today's S Day. I am only having coffee with cream, rather than eating a lot of cereal first thing. In other words, I'm keeping the beginning of my S Day like an N Day. My husband won't be making one of his fantastic breakfasts, today (we're out of eggs); so there's no reason I can't just wait until lunch like normal.

I'm not hungry. My S Day morning eating is usually driven by pleasure-seeking, not hunger.

Let me emphasize: I am not committed to this trial long-term. I am merely trying this out for this S Day, this morning, this tentative experiment to keep an S Day morning a little more like an N Day morning.

What I will be calmly observing is: my hunger level, my mood, my energy, and potential fall-out with later in the day snacking, desserts, size of meals, etc. Stay tuned. :)

NoSEating-S Day
couple of Costco samples while shopping
L: leftover ham and potatoes, a salad (!) :)
snack/dessert: 4 pieces of chocolate
D: chicken pasta, roll, salad, lemonade, cookie
Dessert: frosty
I have been wanting to get some kind of a salad on our weekly shopping list. I don't like to make them. Today I bought a bagged salad with a variety of the "hardier" greens that don't get slimy as fast (I hope, anyway): broccoli, kale, brussel sprouts, cabbage, and chicory. The ingredients also will be good for my husband's green smoothies. Oh, and the other comment I have is about the price. It was 4.50, which I thought was surprisingly affordable, compared to their Caesar Salad mix ($8, and all it has is Romaine...).

JustMoveIt-S Day
Rest Day

StrategicSpending-S Day
Bought groceries, paid a couple bills
This may just shock you right out of your chair, but we are on track to have saved $6000 since the end of December (by the end of June, when my paychecks end for the summer). And it all started by ending my mindless snacking! 8)

Amazingly, I can still see a lot of "fat" in our expenditures. However, just like NoSEating, it's probably wise to not reign ourselves in too much--right? I have eliminated the egregious budgetary offenders, and that has made a huge difference for us. Budgeting, like weight management, is a lifetime affair. And I like my affairs to be pleasurable. :wink:

KidsUnplugged-S Day
Lots of electronics so far today. Probably time for a few hours break

RaisingReaders-S Day
Reading Rest Day LOL, all week has been reading rest day, really! Hopefully back to Green tomorrow for reading.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Sun May 18, 2014 5:47 am

That looks like a great S Day -- just the right mix of meal foods and treats. That's awesome that you've managed to save so much money!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sun May 18, 2014 7:00 am

Wow impressive on the spending! Can I hire you to sort out our spending? :D

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Sun May 18, 2014 9:27 am

N-day-like breakfast on S-days usually lead to much less snacking or sweets in my case. How did it work for you, did you notice any difference in your eating later in the day?

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sun May 18, 2014 8:13 pm

Sunday, Week 39
NoSEating-S Day
B: hashbrowns, bacon, eggs, coffee with cream
L: chocolate milkshake
D: chili with Frito scoops

Yesterday went fine (starting out my S Day the same as an N Day). I didn't notice any differences in the rest of the day. But then this morning, my husband made us one of his great breakfasts--and there is no way I'm going to deprive myself of that treat on an S Day! :) I am more consciously trying to limit food in between meals today, too. Of course, I have the whole afternoon ahead of me, so we'll see how it goes.

JustMoveIt-S Day
Rest Day

StrategicSpending-S Day
No spending today. I am CRAVING some Amazon book orders, but I didn't put that on our May budget (since we spent so much on our anniversary get-away and a child's BD). But it is hard. That is one of the areas that still is a weak spot for me. Book temptations make any latte urges I used to have look like child's play! I have 4 books in my Amazon cart right now. If I hold off 2 more weeks, I'm giving myself a $25 book budget in June. Hopefully I won't feel like I still need all 4 by then!

KidsUnplugged-S Day
Well, they have been pretty busy today, but now my 8-yr-old is on the couch, complaining of a sore throat and a fever. Hmmmm.

RaisingReaders-N Day
Going for 20 minutes today
Update--easily made it, probably more like 45 min. Nice to finally have a green day for this one.
Last edited by automatedeating on Mon May 19, 2014 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon May 19, 2014 6:11 am

Amazon is a huge weakness for this English major! Especially since I can have a book d/l to my kindle instantly!

Hope your 8 yr old isn't coming down w anything!

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon May 19, 2014 10:49 am

automatedeating wrote:This may just shock you right out of your chair, but we are on track to have saved $6000 since the end of December (by the end of June, when my paychecks end for the summer). And it all started by ending my mindless snacking!
$6000??? I am amazed auto!!! Doing my StrategicSpending inspired mini-version started to alert me to my mindless-spending but wowzers! That makes me commit to my mini-version even more :)

Also:
Budgeting, like weight management, is a lifetime affair. And I like my affairs to be pleasurable. Wink
LOL!!! One of the many reasons I love your thread auto!

Very true! And I think it's good not to go overboard with savings - seems like this works for you anyways.

Also, interesting S day experiment. Did it make a difference in your energy levels?

Also, your experiment for
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Mon May 19, 2014 11:57 am

I hear you about Amazon! I have to really watch my book spending, too. I wouldn't have turned down a home-cooked breakfast, either. :D

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Mon May 19, 2014 8:56 pm

Happy Monday everybody!
Monday, Week 39
Today, coincidentally, I had two comments about looking like I've lost weight. One was from a current student; the other was from a student that I haven't seen in at least a year. So I guess my weight loss is noticeable if you don't see me everyday. :)
NoSEating-N Day
L: chicken pot pie, salad, diet coke
D: lasagne--tried an experiment of not filling my plate, since I wasn't very hungry. We'll see how I feel at 9pm tonight.
Update: felt fine, I guess I didn't need as much food as I thought (or feared!)
JustMoveIt-N Day
walked to/from work
StrategicSpending-N Day
All Clear So Far
KidsUnplugged-N Day
FAIL. My older son stayed home from his electives and so my husband let the boys watch a movie and play video games. But now that mama is home..... tough times! Really, I understand that my husband is weary. We are both weary! Summer break is still almost 5 weeks away......
RaisingReaders-N Day
I'm going for 1 hour today.
Update: Already made it, and haven't even started our big chapter book (which, BTW, is the third and wonderful installment of the Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place). Linda recommended them awhile back, and I just want to put out a thumbs-up review for them. They're great for read-alouds to probably 3rd grade and up; and girls 5th grade and up would like to read them. We are going to buy our 5th grade neighbor friend the first one for her birthday next month.
Last edited by automatedeating on Tue May 20, 2014 2:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Mon May 19, 2014 11:24 pm

Cool :). I hope someday someone says something like that to me.

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Tue May 20, 2014 2:18 pm

eschano wrote:I'm glad you're not going anywhere auto! I'd miss you too much :)

As for your new NoS struggles: so the honeymoon phase might be over but I promise it comes back again if you make it through this anxious patch.

I would miss you as well. Just take it one day at a time, try to treat yourself the very best you can - and know that you deserve it. :P
Berry

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue May 20, 2014 7:22 pm

Auto so glad you guys have been enjoying my book recommendation. Talia started getting spooked by the 2nd book so we took a break and read Charlie & the chocolate factory. She needs very tame stuff right before bed or has trouble sleeping. We may read it during the day though now that summer is here!

Congrats on the compliments!

Linda

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Tue May 20, 2014 7:30 pm

Tuesday, Week 39
NoSEating-N Day
L: lasagne (purposely tried a smaller portion to see if it still fills me up), banana, and clementine
D: (will be) breaded cod, salad, and chicken nuggets
JustMoveIt-N Day
walked to/from work
StrategicSpending-N Day
All Clear So Far
KidsUnplugged-N Day
Drum Roll: new rules for this. It's worked since the end of December pretty well, but my 8-yr old has been begging for mid-week time. I thought I could roll his request into something else I've been wanting to get going on--more cleaning from them. So, if certain cleaning is done (some new and tougher chores included here), and all schoolwork complete, they get 1 hour of electronics on weekdays. Weekends are still being "discussed" amongst the family. :lol:
The 5-yr-old is now being expected to pull a lot more weight cleaning-wise. He is the one that REALLY loves his electronics time, too, so I am thinking that a few days of watching his brother finish chores and get to play video games may be all it takes. Stay tuned.
RaisingReaders-N Day
Aiming for 30 minutes tonight. We have been reading so many fun books lately! I've really been looking forward to our reading time together. I've seen a change in the 5-yr-old in how much he'll sit still for reading, and even ask for it now.

I get kind of a warm glow when I think that I am accomplishing something that I have always known I value in parenting. My mom read to me a little, but by the time I was 8 (my older son's age), she had stopped. I love that my 8-yr-old fully expects me to read to him! It is part of our home "culture". Not by accident, either--by design and determination--and by priorities, too. Even though I have fails in this endeavor, it is just like NoS in that it is the long-term trends that matter...not the crazy all-red week. :)

I guess a family really can only have a few priorities.....otherwise it all starts to slip. Hmmm, what are my family's priorities?
*Morality matters--its purpose is to make families, friends and jobs more rewarding
*family should be a place where you can be yourself
*reading and education enrich your life
*If it's sunny outside, and you've done at least a few chores, we should play. :)
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Tue May 20, 2014 9:35 pm

No better gift you can give a child than to instill the love of reading.

My son, who is now 46 years old, gave me a framed copy of this poem by Gillilan Strickland for Mother's Day one year.
I wish every parent took their responsibilities as seriously as you do.

The Reading Mother

I had a mother who read to me
Sagas of pirates who scoured the sea.
Cutlasses clenched in their yellow teeth;
"Blackbirds" stowed in the hold beneath.

I had a Mother who read me lays
Of ancient and gallant and golden days;
Stories of Marmion and Ivanhoe,
Which every boy has a right to know.

I had a Mother who read me tales
Of Gelert the hound of the hills of Wales,
True to his trust till his tragic death,
Faithfulness lent with his final breath.

I had a Mother who read me the things
That wholesome life to the boy heart brings-
Stories that stir with an upward touch.
Oh, that each mother of boys were such!

You may have tangible wealth untold;
Caskets of jewels and coffers of gold.
Richer than I you can never be --
I had a Mother who read to me.
Berry

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Wed May 21, 2014 2:18 am

Lovely!

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Wed May 21, 2014 5:54 am

Auto, I love your family priorities! That is still something I'm figuring out for my family. My dad read to my siblings and me for a number of years! I think I was in middle school, before he stopped doing it.

eschano

Post by eschano » Wed May 21, 2014 9:53 am

Auto, I hope that one day I'll be even half as good mum as you are! You continue to amaze.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

Kookie

Post by Kookie » Wed May 21, 2014 2:24 pm

Hey auto...you're doing so well navigating this tricky patch. Thanks for sharing it with us! I'm surprised you were worrying about your weight loss (compared to your new NoS 'recruits') as I've noticed a really healthy downward trend over the course of your posts. I bet you look fantastic! You are surely in the 'normal' weight range for your height now?

It's always a bit of a downer when the NoS honeymoon period comes to an end but like any good relationship, your love will be more substantial once you have weathered this storm :wink:

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Thu May 22, 2014 12:49 am

Epiphany Post #100? on NoS! :)

NoS has taught me (yet another life lesson)-- who am I to judge what or when or how much people eat? I have been the recipient of an untold number of unsolicited comments on my food this year at school. Pre-NoS, I'd pick up McDonald's after work (well, even pre-StrategicSpending), and no one but my kids saw what I ate for lunch. This year, I bring my lunch every day, and (I am not joking) people will PICK UP my food and read the labels and comment on a variety of factors (salt, fat, calories, carbs, you name it) as if passing judgement on my meal is a good thing for my digestion.

Little do they realize that what I eat is an improvement over my past. Little do they realize that I enjoy my food now, unlike some "orthexia" phases in my past. Ah, little do they realize. And, this part is important--in the past I have been that judgemental person, from time to time.

So, NoS has made me a person that is more accepting of differences.

Strawberry, thank you so much for posting that poem!!!! You will laugh, but of course the first thing I had to do was find where I can get a modern kid version of Ivanhoe. :)
Thanks everybody for your nice comments.
Kookie, my BMI is 24.0. I'll just be honest--but not proud of these thoughts: I'm afraid I'm very close to the "overweight" BMI and that my weight will creep up again. It's like I don't trust NoS; or worse, that I've deep down considered NoS temporary. As if someday I can just eat without pre-planned structure and I'll be fine. Linda has eloquently described this feeling. I totally get her perspective now. Anyway, I'm plugging along. As Oolala often says, I don't have any better plan, so I'll stick with NoS. :)
Wednesday, Week 39
NoSEating-N Day
L: PB&J, banana, chips, diet coke
D: avocado on toast, salad
JustMoveIt-N Day
walked to/from work
StrategicSpending-N Day
All Clear
KidsUplugged-N Day
One child finished chores and gets electronics; the other .... doesn't. Tough time to be a 5-yr-old in my house!
RaisingReaders-N Day
Going for 1 hour today
Update: made it! :)
Last edited by automatedeating on Thu May 22, 2014 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Thu May 22, 2014 2:08 am

automatedeating wrote:Epiphany Post #100? on NoS! :)

NoS has taught me (yet another life lesson)-- who am I to judge what or when or how much people eat? I have been the recipient of an untold number of unsolicited comments on my food this year at school. Pre-NoS, I'd pick up McDonald's after work (well, even pre-StrategicSpending), and no one but my kids saw what I ate for lunch. This year, I bring my lunch every day, and (I am not joking) people will PICK UP my food and read the labels and comment on a variety of factors (salt, fat, calories, carbs, you name it) as if passing judgement on my meal is a good thing for my digestion.

Little do they realize that what I eat is an improvement over my past. Little do they realize that I enjoy my food now, unlike some "orthexia" phases in my past. Ah, little do they realize. And, this part is important--in the past I have been that judgemental person, from time to time.

So, NoS has made me a person that is more accepting of differences.
This is such a great realisation, auto. We live in such a culture of criticism when it comes to weight, nutrition, fitness, and I know I've been guilty of it, even though I've also been on the receiving end of it. Although, touching and commenting on someone else's food in the workplace seems pretty far over the line to me!

One of the things I like about No-S is I can't (and don't) hide what I'm eating. I also am approaching zero guilt about my eating, which I didn't think was possible. I feel like I know what my plan is and I like it, so I am much more resilient when other people question me. Like when we get a duck curry with coconut milk, and I serve up a dinner plate full of rice and curry, and someone says "wow, are you going to be able to eat all that?", I say "YUP!", grin and dig in. Food without a side of guilt tastes great.

eschano

Post by eschano » Thu May 22, 2014 10:20 am

A definite yes to everything ironchef said.

Also, about your BMI / weightloss worries: NoS will lead to you losing more weight. HOWEVER, because you have reached your healthy BMI and all it will slow down considerably. I mean, I'm still slowly losing but it's so slow now that I don't realise it at all. Only months later when I either look on my chart and realise that a couple of months back I used to consistently be a kilo higher and now I'm consistently lower. But because it is so slow and goes up and down during the week it seems to me like it's not happening. It is. I have factual proof :) So do not despair! Just practice the habits, don't mind the weight and you'll get there.

The other thing: touching my food or even inquiring in any way but positively is absolutely off the table for me. I do what ironchef does but I also name and shame over-the-line behaviour so people know where my line is. Touch my food or comment on the caloric intake- I'll let you know that's not ok.

Also, just know, that most women have a weird relationship with food. Certainly the majority of women I know. I can count the women with a good-food-relationship on a hand and they are usually great cooks who love family meals seated and wouldn't snack whatsoever because that's how they grew up (1 is Italian, 2 French, and 1 Austrian). Everyone else I know has a skewed relationship with food and running after some model-size. I'm fighting (and winning) to get to a loving relationship with food again but bad comments can set me back - temporarily only, as NoS reminds me again what I stand for.

P.S.: sorry for having started the ED thing. I said that about bite counting and it seems to all have landed on your thread.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

Ursula

Post by Ursula » Thu May 22, 2014 1:20 pm

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY, AUTO!!!!!!! 🎉🎊🎆
Fifteen years of marriage in this day and age is huge! And I don't think that it's just down to divorce being easier but mainly because there are SO many stresses in even the most seemingly mundane matters in our lives today (uh, food-touching co-workers anyone? Seriously, that is not only impolite but vulgar, and you can tell them I said so) then coming home and keeping it together enough to put up with everyone else's problems year after year. You deserve a medal! I don't mean to make marriage sound so challenging, but it is not the joyous times that test our resiliance, right? What you posted on my page reminded me how relatively easy our long marriage has been since we do not have the added pressure of forming little humans to put out into the world (ones who will not touch other people's food). But oh how I envy you the joy of those babies! I feel all warm and fuzzy when one of my dogs crawls into my lap (for more than the obvious reasons), but to have a sweet child turn to you for special reading time...sheesh, now I have not only digressed but I've put a lump in my own throat.

And, naturally, I am jealous that you get dessert today.

May your special day be extra sweet in oh so many ways!!! 💛💙💜💚â¤ï ðŸ°
49 years old
5'6"

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."
Victor Frankl

finallyfull

Post by finallyfull » Thu May 22, 2014 5:44 pm

Yes, happy anniversary! We just celebrated our 20th yesterday. :)

I wanted to chime in on people judging our food. As a healthy three meal a day eater at a healthy weight most of my life, I cannot tell you how many comments I received from people along the lines of "how can you eat so much and stay so skinny?" (this was ALWAYS said while I was eating normal portions at normal times, for instance, a medium sized bowl of soup with a buttered roll). I think because I never skipped meals, so I'd be eating at my desk at work, or eating breakfast when other people were holding off, or whatever. I never ate excessive amounts, but I would not hesitate to plop my plate with fettucinni alfredo if that's what was offered. So while others kvetched about the calories, I just ate my dinner. It hurt that I was treated like a glutton, though, when I was doing what I was certain (and still am) to be normal. A sandwich and a banana is normal darn it! The other common thing would be pressure to eat snacks and sweets when others were having them, i.e. "why wouldn't you? You can afford it!" but I knew that the reason I could "afford it" was because I didn't eat at every opportunity. (Just as the reason I can afford to buy new clothes is that I DON'T buy new clothes very often at all.) These two things are related: if I eat normally at meals and skip all the extras that are constantly available, I have peace. But if I eat the extra's (how about a chocolate shake with your lunch? it's a beverage!) then I have to skimp on my meals.

One hard thing about No S is feeling gluttonous by behaving normally.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Thu May 22, 2014 8:03 pm

Wow, thanks ironchef, eschano, Ursula and finallyfull.
ironchef-- I would love to have zero guilt about what I eat, and to be resilient to people's comments about my food. Inspiring!
eschano--I need to get some boundaries or something. I wish I could just tell someone they have crossed a line if they comment on my food in a critical way. You're awesome. And I may very well just be on one of those plateaus again. Why do I have to learn this lesson all over again, and again, and again? And you have ignited in me a fire to develop my own healthy relationship with food and with my body image! Onward!!!
Ursula--Ah, thanks for the kind anniversary well-wishes. :) Marriage is not easy, that is for sure, but for me it's definitely up there as the most worth-it things to fight for in this life. And thanks for spurring me to be grateful for my warm little boys. :)
finallyfull-congrats on your anniversary too! :) And thank you so much for your comment--it gives me insight into the routine of most "naturally" thin people. Good for me to remember that you can never judge a book/person by its cover/body. And dang it, I am going to be proud of my meals! I look forward to them and they are "normal" even if they have (gasp) salt in them! :lol:

Thursday, Week 39
NoSEating-N Day (nope-it's an S Day after all!)
B: coffee with cream, sample portion of yogurt parfait (a student made a gorgeous tray of her homemade yogurt. Each one was in a tiny cup with a raspberry and granola. What a beautiful sample!)
L: chicken pot pie, apple
D: (not yet--will probably be meatballs and potatoes--nope, ended up different)
Update--got home from work and my boys and my husband had some presents for me for our anniversary. So I guess this is an S Day after all, especially considering that they got me my favorites: Reese's Pieces and M&Ms. :)
Update 2: ended up having avocado on toast again, since the kiddos and hubby ate all the main meal I had planned (note to self: growing kids eat more than they used to!). And although I did have what must have been a cup or so of Reese's pieces, and a few pieces of chocolate, it doesn't feel like an all-out S Day. I will admit I was a bit impulsive with my eating, that's for sure. I guess it felt like..... a celebration. That's what it was, after all, so it's all OK in my book. That does make for four NWS days this month! The last time I had that many was December!
JustMoveIt-N Day
walked to/from work
StrategicSpending-N Day
All clear, but I continue to have urges to buy something....latte is the urge of the day. I think fatigue is a factor. I have a lot of work to do and I am procrastinating!! It is that time of the quarter.....
KidsUnplugged-N Day
They got their chores and schoolwork done (even the 5-yr-old!) So they'll each get an hour of electronics tonight.
RaisingReaders-N Day
We'll be having two children spend the night tonight and tomorrow night, but I am going to try to still read 30 minutes both nights. Wish me luck.
Update: made it! Victory!
Last edited by automatedeating on Fri May 23, 2014 8:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu May 22, 2014 9:42 pm

Happy Anniversary!!! Don't have much to add to the food judgement thing. It's all so ridiculous to me. Everyone has a different opinion on whats healthy & what's not. Trust your body to lead you the right way & ignore all the chatter.

Good luck with the sleepovers!

Linda

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Thu May 22, 2014 9:57 pm

Happy Anniversary! Have a wonderful time.
Berry

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Thu May 22, 2014 11:22 pm

What??? People actually touch your food and comment on it?? Wow. Totally inappropriate.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Fri May 23, 2014 3:58 am

Hey everybody, I should be perfectly honest that people don't touch my actual food (like the sandwich, or whatever). They pick up my microwaveable boxes and read the labels, sometimes while I'm eating, other times while I'm waiting for the food to beep in the microwave. Either way, it feels a little bit violating, somehow, especially when the opinions and unsolicited comments on the nutritional caliber or carbon footprint of my food are being judged.

But I must say, you gals are very protective of your NoS buddies. You can fight my fights for me anyday! :lol:
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Fri May 23, 2014 6:55 am

I can't believe people would touch, and make comments about your food! Totally inappropriate!
Happy Anniversary!

eschano

Post by eschano » Fri May 23, 2014 10:01 am

automatedeating wrote:Hey everybody, I should be perfectly honest that people don't touch my actual food (like the sandwich, or whatever). They pick up my microwaveable boxes and read the labels, sometimes while I'm eating, other times while I'm waiting for the food to beep in the microwave. Either way, it feels a little bit violating, somehow, especially when the opinions and unsolicited comments on the nutritional caliber or carbon footprint of my food are being judged.

But I must say, you gals are very protective of your NoS buddies. You can fight my fights for me anyday! :lol:
I got what you meant the first time - it's just as inappropriate as putting a finger into your actual food. I'd be furious. As I am Austrian I have no way of hiding when I'm furious - they'd know. (this is why working in the UK where people are super polite - and really steaming on the inside - is a challenge for me and my colleagues sometimes). :)
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

Ursula

Post by Ursula » Fri May 23, 2014 11:11 am

Me too...what eschano said i.e. rude either way. And, if I may, eschano, what you said goes for the U.S. too re: not saying anything then eventually shooting up a post office. Uh, not that you would ever do that, Auto -- yikes! I myself am a big coward who thinks of the perfect retort exactly five minutes after the encounter.
49 years old
5'6"

Victor Frankl

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Fri May 23, 2014 1:59 pm

Yup, I got that they were picking up packages and reading the labels and stuff, but I still think that's pretty far over the line. If anyone touches your actual food on your plate, I'm pretty sure the rules say you're allowed to throw it at them. Although I spend a lot of time with an almost 2 year old, so perhaps throwing food isn't quite as common for others :)

I'm waaay too much of a chicken to actually come back with a decent retort, but I am getting better at giving the person a BIG smile, and then eating the damn brownie.

As to "approaching zero guilt" - I would never have believed it possible 2 years ago that I would actually write that and mean it. As long as I stay mostly green on N days, and my S days aren't too wild (they've been calming down a bit lately) I feel really positive about what I'm doing. Could I eat a little less processed food and a bit more produce? Sure. But I feel like 35 years of feeling guilty about food BS is enough, you know? I've paid my dues.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri May 23, 2014 8:02 pm

Actually that gives me an idea. Next time someone comments on your food, I think you should pick up their sandwich or whatever and start picking it apart. "Is that full-fat mayo, do you have any idea how many calories are in that". "I sure hope that chicken in your salad is free-range , do you know the conditions most chickens have to live in? "

I relate to what eschano says, I don't hide my feelings well. Even if I said nothing, people would know I was pissed by the stink-eye glare I was giving them. I think it's my Irish temper coming out.

Well I'm sure you'll find a better way of dealing with it!

Linda

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Fri May 23, 2014 8:43 pm

Friday, Week 39
NoSEating-N Day
B: coffee with cream, blueberry/banana/yogurt smoothie
L: lentil soup with chips, diet soda
D: (will probably be) orange chicken and rice with salad
JustMoveIt-S Day
Rest Day
StrategicSpending-N Day
Yesterday and today have been a bit tricky. We have a couple extra kids with us, and we were tempted to buy a take-and-bake pizza last night and again for tonight. Both times we decided to hold off, because our "dining out" category is getting very slim this month.

Here's a funny phenomenon: when I started StrategicSpending 5 months ago, I was completely unconcerned/hands-off about my husband's expenditures. this past month, though, I've found myself wanting to control/limit his spending now, too! He is not a big spender, but he's now a bigger spender than me! :lol: Anyway, I think it's best for my marriage to resist that controlling urge, especially since he's very reasonable in what he spends money on.

KidsUnplugged-N Day
haha I got the extra kids to do chores this morning, too, to earn electronics time. My house is pretty clean! They all had to get some chores done by the time I got home from work (1pm). They did well! Tonight they will all watch Lego Movie. Did I mention my husband bought that for me for our anniversary? That's how much I love that movie!

RaisingReaders-N Day
Going for 30 minutes again tonight, even with our visitors. It went alright last night, but it does take momma-determination to get everyone calmed down and working on something (legos, zoobs, drawing, etc) while I read.
Update: FAIL! Guess I was pushing my luck a little that I'd read both nights with all the extra chaos around here. :)
Last edited by automatedeating on Sat May 24, 2014 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat May 24, 2014 5:03 am

Wow I'm impressed! I can barely get my own kids to do any chores let alone any extra short people I may have around the house! Plus your getting your reading done?! Yeah, you're definitely making the rest of us look like slackers!

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Sat May 24, 2014 10:42 am

I'm impressed, too, especially with getting the little visitors to pitch in and help. :D I agree with Linda. :D

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sat May 24, 2014 5:28 pm

Hi Linda and clarinetgal! Well, I ended up not reading last night, so don't congratulate me too much! :)

Saturday, Week 39
NoSEating-S Day
B: coffee with cream, smoothie
L: Costco pizza, few bites of churro, few bites of sundae, small bowl of Reese's Pieces
D: cheeseburger, fruit salad, coffee, lemonade,
dessert: reese's pieces, m&m's
wine
JustMoveIt-S Day
Rest Day
StrategicSpending-S Day
I only have ~$50 left for May "household" and I'll be going to Costco (and I have a very short list!!), so we'll see how that goes!
Entered all my monthly budget receipts, etc. this morning. There is a 5th Saturday in May, which affects our household and gas expenses, since I do almost all spending on Saturdays. I think in the future I will take the number of Saturdays into account while making up my monthly budget. I've already looked ahead: August and November each have 5 Saturdays and the rest only have four.
Update: I only spent $27.15 at Costco. hehehehehehehehe that is a record!
Also got gas, bought some pet stuff at Petco, and a couple items that I had to buy at the little grocery store.
I like to buy the "Italian Seasoning" for my spaghetti sauce. It's several spices in one and makes for very efficient spaghetti sauce. :) Feel like I'm cheating, but hey, it tastes good.
KidsUnplugged-S Day
Kids are finally playing outside. We ran errands this morning, and they watched The Lego Movie 2X today!
RaisingReaders-S Day
Reading Rest Day

OK, funny story about my kids: in my house, they have to say "toot" instead of "fart" and "bottom" instead of "butt". Well, the kids we've had here the last couple of days can say butt and fart, no problem. So I walked in on my older son giving my younger son a "test". "What is the proper word for this?" he said and made a big show of pointing at his behind. "Bottom!" my younger son said. Then he asked, "and what is the word for this?" and he made a big gassy noise with his armpits (like all boys can do), and my younger son gleefully cried out, "Toot!!!" "You passed the test!" my older son crowed. And what can a mother do? That was pretty funny. Until as I was walking out of the room, and my older son says, "And the worst word in the world is f - u -" "hey, hey, hey" I cut in......
So much for sheltering children. :)
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Sun May 25, 2014 7:03 am

Auto, That is impressive spending only $27 at Costco! That's funny about your boys. :D

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sun May 25, 2014 3:45 pm

Clarinetgal, I was impressed with myself for my low Costco spending! :) Making a weekly menu and then a careful list has really made a difference for my crazy over-spending old habits.

Sunday, Week 40 (and, today is 9 months exactly of NoS)
Reflections on 9 months of NoS
I am at a bit of a surreal point with my habits. My weight loss is very slow now (on a plateau). That is hard for me to accept, but I am accepting it. I'll either continue losing very slowly (as eschano and others encourage me); or I'll stay the same and accept this spot; or I'll decide at some point I can change what's on my plate. But it's not a decision I want to force.
Some minor changes I've noticed in the past month:
*eaten more salad
*chosen to not overfill my plate with lasagne, spaghetti, or breaded cod (normally I pile my plates good and well!) on a few different occasions. Later I was not hungry, so I think the decision was reasonable.
*started making fruit and yogurt smoothies again, something my whole family loves in the warmer months
*consciously avoided snacking on the last 2 weekends

I think NoS, JustMoveIt, and StrategicSpending are so normal to me now that I forget how far I've come. 10 pounds lost, daily movement included, and thousands of dollars saved. Why can't I feel awesome? :) Instead, I just see the next goals: 5 more pounds, more intense exercise, and our student loans paid off. There is something in my nature (human?) that makes it difficult to feel good for long about the status quo.

NoSEating-S Day
B: coffee with cream, fruit and yogurt smoothie
L: tortilla with beans and cheese, 1 chocolate piece, a few chips
D:
JustMoveIt-S Day
Rest Day
StrategicSpending-S Day
Interestingly--I hardly ever spend any money on Sundays, even though technically I could. :) Now that I have a highly functional budget, there's just no room for frivolous Amazon orders on Sundays!
KidsUnplugged-S Day
I have been working to tie work around the home with the follow-up reward of electronics. This seems to work well when there is something that is really messy (playroom, pile of laundry to put away, etc), but it is harder to say, clean your bedroom--when their bedroom is not that bad. It is so much more difficult for me to train my kids to do the detail work. I guess I have to train them, and that means working with them, or at least directing the cleaning. That's what I had to do at first with even the "big" cleaning stuff (all legos in a bin, etc), but maybe I had hoped they would just "get" it now without me teaching them.
RaisingReaders-N Day
Going for 30 minutes tonight
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Sun May 25, 2014 7:47 pm

I notice what I feel like eating changes a lot with the seasons. In the past two weeks we've had two solid days of snow, a couple of days near 90 degrees, 3-4 days of of tornado sirens, several incidents of car denting, plant killing hail and flooding rain.

So really, everything is fair game right now!

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Sun May 25, 2014 7:51 pm

Laughing at myself here.

At first I read you had a 'highly fictional budget'. I can tell you, that really threw me at first :lol:

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sun May 25, 2014 8:10 pm

Lol dandelion! Now that sounds like my budget!!

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Mon May 26, 2014 6:15 am

Auto, I love your idea of a weekly menu and planning your shopping around it. That is something I really need to work on. It sounds like you're doing great with No S. :D

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Mon May 26, 2014 11:49 pm

highly fictional budget---LOL that would be quite the Freudian slip! :)

Clarinetgal--I've made menus in the past so many times!!!!!! This is the FIRST time it has been working for more than a month or two. Wonder why? Why, I'll tell you! :) I make almost all convenience food dinners that I'll actually fix! In the past, my menu was unrealistic compared to my actual cooking interest, skill, time and energy. Now? Well, let me put it this way: I am well on my way to making my own cookbook, titled: One-stop Meal-Planning: Costco! :lol: If they don't carry it at Costco, I don't put it on my dinner menu!

Monday, Week 40
NoSEating-N Day
L: pb&j, bowl of honey nut cheerios
D: spaghetti, garlic bread
JustMoveIt-N Day
2 hour hike with a friend (in the rain.....)
StrategicSpending-S Day for holiday
bought $30 lego set with the boys and then we put it together. Fun! Well, except for conflicts between the brothers, that is! Ah, such is real life.
KidsUnplugged-N Day
Get ready to laugh at me: we are back to "vanilla" kidsunplugged! It was just TOO hard for me to monitor/regulate/tabulate/stressulate their electronics when I have to do it everyday. Yuck. Back to sanity and no electronics on weekdays with very little restriction on weekends. My 8-yr old is saving up (by reading 200 books--he is on #32) for a Kindle Fire. When he gets it, THEN he can have some regular time daily, because it comes with easy parental controls that turn the sucker off once the time limit is reached! hahaha, but then Mr. younger son is going to be SOOOOOO jealous!!!!!! Luckily, one good thing did come out of last week's (failed) experiment: I have a new app on my iPad that locks the kiddos out after a set amount of time. It's not automatic; I have to turn it on when I hand it to the child, but it still is better than nothing. It's especially helpful when we have visitors all wanting to take their 15 minute turns.
RaisingReaders-N Day
We have already read at least an hour today. But we have 3 chapters left in the Incorrigibles and it was due last week....and someone has a hold request on it so we were unable to check it out again!!! So I'm just going to pay the fine (are you reading this ironchef--I support my library very financially!) :)
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

eschano

Post by eschano » Tue May 27, 2014 1:16 pm

Auto, I'm just catching up with your thread over the weekend. I don't even know what quote to pick out - it's so packed with wisdom, humour, and success!

Well done!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue May 27, 2014 2:06 pm

Sounds like a great day. Love the idea of earning a reward by reading books. I'm doing a reward chart this summer & they earn a star for every 20 mins they play without fighting. When they earn a certain amount if stars they get to choose a fun place to go--mini golf, dinosaur museum etc. maybe I'll add reading as another way to earn stars!

What book are you going to read to them next? Also do you have any good grown-up book suggestions? I need something to read but nothing too depressing!

Thanks!

Linda

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Tue May 27, 2014 9:56 pm

We are going to read The Bad Beginning, by Lemony Snickett, next. I am prepared to toss it though--some of the reviews sound horrible. And I would suspect it would be way too scary for Talia (I'm thinking it might be too disturbing for my kids, but one of them really wants to give it a try).

As for adult books, I really enjoyed The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley. It has some sadness to it, but overall I wouldn't call it depressing.

I also really liked Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. It's actually aimed at teens, but I enjoyed it. :)
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Tue May 27, 2014 10:01 pm

Tuesday, Week 40
NoSEating-N Day--became S/Sick Day in the afternoon
L: spaghetti
D: part of a banana (ow!); few bites of ham and cheesy potatoes (ow!), small bowl of throat-numbing ice cream (ow! and ah!)
JustMoveIt-S (Sick) Day
Ay, yi yi! I have the most horrific sore throat and body aches! This is the third time I've been sick since January, dad nabbit! But, at least, this is the first time I've been sick this year where I truly couldn't even walk to work.
StrategicSpending-N Day
All Clear
KidsUnplugged-S (sick) Day
I'm going to let them watch some TV tonight, because there's no way I can read..... or play board games, or whatever. I'm physically in my house, but that's about as I "present" as I can claim to be today!
RaisingReaders-S (sick) Day
Shoot!! I really wanted to finish our book tonight!!
Update: Guess what?! My dear husband read us the final two chapters of our book last night! :) I got to be read to while I was sick. How cool is that?
Last edited by automatedeating on Wed May 28, 2014 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Tue May 27, 2014 10:35 pm

Uh, oh. Sounds too familiar. Feel better soon!

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Tue May 27, 2014 11:23 pm

Oh dear, that wasn't the kind of library support I meant, but good on you :)

Interesting that the electronics needed to go back to an easy "habitual" system, instead of a complex one with high cost in the way of attention. I really do think Reinhard is onto something key with the way his everyday systems are simple enough to become "dumb habit".

A book I loved (an oldie, but a goodie) was "Snow Falling on Cedars". There are sad moments, but it is certainly not depressing.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed May 28, 2014 4:05 am

Feel better auto :cry:

Thanks for the book suggestions all! I knew I could count on you guys!!

Linda

eschano

Post by eschano » Wed May 28, 2014 9:40 am

I hope you feel better soon too!

Have I told you before that one of my favourite children's book/early teen book is "Holes" by Louis Sacher. It's so funny.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Wed May 28, 2014 9:04 pm

Wednesday, Week 40
I have strep throat! Was it Dandelion that also had that? Ugh ugh ugh. But I'm now on antibiotics and even a steroid for the throat swelling. I called in sick to work (I never do this never do this never do this) and went to Urgent Care this morning once I saw those gnarly white patches on the back of my throat. I'll be paying for missing today, but there was literally no way I could have lectured this morning.
NoSEating-S(ick) day!
B: theraflu daytime drink (notice no coffee, that is one sick momma)
L: bowl of honey nut cheerios (ow!), bite of an otter pop (yuck, there's a reason I don't eat those things normally), and then a cup of blueberrry/strawberry/yogurt smoothie.
D: chocolate milkshake, popcorn, theraflu hot drink :), and a couple probiotic drinks.
JustMoveIt-S(ick) Day
Now I think it's funny that I felt bad about not walking in yesterday. I was feverish and couldn't even swallow. This morning there was no question that exercise was "contraindicated" for my condition!
StrategicSpending-S(ick) Day
Copay at urgent care, prescriptions at pharmacy
KidsUnplugged-S(ick) Day
Well, they haven't had any electronics so far. Tonight I was thinking about watching a movie with them after dinner so I can lay on the couch.
RaisingReaders-S(ick) Day
I still can't read, but hopefully by tomorrow I will be able to. Who knows, maybe by tonight with the way these antibiotics will go to town.
Last edited by automatedeating on Thu May 29, 2014 3:03 am, edited 5 times in total.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

Jill d

Post by Jill d » Wed May 28, 2014 9:30 pm

Ooooof! Feel better auto! I had strep throat over Valentine's day, and it is SO painful! I hope the antibiotics kick in right away for you.
"A small daily task, if it be really daily, will beat the labour of a spasmodic Hercules." -Anthony Trollope

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Wed May 28, 2014 11:57 pm

Yikes! :( I hope you feel better soon.

eschano

Post by eschano » Thu May 29, 2014 8:20 am

Glad you're staying home and having a sick day! You should consider staying home until you're better. After all - strep throat is contagious, isn't it?

I'd call it an all out S day including electronics.

Get better!!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Fri May 30, 2014 1:49 am

Thanks for the well wishes, kind NoS crew. :) I am feeling MUCH better. Thank you Alexander Fleming for purifying penicillin for us from a little ugly mold called Penicillium. And thank you Streptococcus pyogenes for being extremely sensitive to penicillin! :)

Thursday, Week 40
NoSEating-S(ick) Day
B: theraflu hot drink
L: coffee with cream, 2 probiotic drinks
D: hamburger macaroni
JustMoveIt-S(ick) Day
drove to work again. Since I won't walk to work again until Monday, I'll have quite a big exercise break thanks to this infection. That said, it's all good. My body needs rest, that's obvious.
StrategicSpending-S(ick) Day
All Clear
KidsUnplugged-S(ick) Day
All Clear, I left myself the option of letting them watch a movie tonight (they didn't know this!), but I think we're fine just reading tonight. Or we can play chess or something like that if my throat hurts too much.
But I am going for 20 minutes anyway. I'll stop if the pain escalates.

Parenting Aside: Last night, my boys were wildly wrestling, hurting each other, etc. I sat them both down: "The next kid that says he got punched or kicked or bit (bit?????--yes, they are 8 and 5 and it still happens sometimes), or the next kid that comes crying to me....means both boys go to bed immediately." They always look at each other and go, "OH, NO! We have to be so careful now!" and they get all conspiratorial. It's pretty cute, actually. Turns them from foes to friends instantly. Like magic. At some age this will stop working, won't it? :) Ah, well, such is parenting.
Not another fight the rest of the night.

Similar technique works well for cleaning: they have to have a room done (bedroom, playroom, or laundry folded/put away) before I get home from work. Reward: play with friends that day. Snags: how do I get each child to participate equally? Well, this is what I've tried, with reasonable results. I tell them each what 1/2 of the work will be, and so then if those particular parts of the job aren't done, I know who loses playtime with friends that day. It's somewhat intensive preparation to make sure they know what's expected. Sometimes I send an email to my older son and he reads it to the 5-yr-old to remind them of their responsibilities.
Last edited by automatedeating on Fri May 30, 2014 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri May 30, 2014 4:44 am

Oh I'm so glad you're feeling better auto! It's so hard being sick when you're a mom not to mention being a teacher on top of that!

You're rocking this parenting stuff too! My girls wouldn't last a day in your house! :oops:

Btw, had my first no spend day. Going to try for two no spending days/wk. I'm pretty excited so thx for the great idea.

Linda

eschano

Post by eschano » Fri May 30, 2014 8:52 am

Your boys sound so delightful! I love your way of parenting auto.

Linda: I'm doing the same: two days :) It's harder than is sounds but well worth it.

See auto, you're such an inspiration!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sat May 31, 2014 4:27 am

Friday, Week 40
NoSEating-N Day
B: yogurt and fruit smoothie, coffee with cream
L: small bowl of spaghetti, 2 probiotic drinks
D: pizza, diet coke
wine
JustMoveIt-S Day
Rest Day
StrategicSpending-S Day
Costco gas and Costco Household
KidsUnplugged-N Day
No problems
RaisingReaders-N Day
Made it, at least 30 minutes

I got a ticket today! It was so embarrassing. I was driving my 8-yr-old to his swim lesson. He had his piano recital right afterwards, and he had forgotten his piano book. So I called my neighbor to see if she could ask my husband (who never answers his phone) to bring the book. I hang up, I'm all proud of myself, and then lights and sirens! How embarrassing. I think the cop even felt embarrassed and a little sheepish about giving me the ticket. But I guess I did break the law. It's just ironic. I am on the phone for such a few number of minutes each month, and this one call while driving will cost me ..... $124!! Amazingly, tickets are so fast these days, he was done quick and we still made it on time to the swim lesson! But, I think of all those lattes I have given up, all the impulse buys I have resisted, and then whoosh, with one cell phone call on the road--I ruin it all. Sheesh. What a week!
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat May 31, 2014 4:38 am

Oh no sorry!!! That sucks but you understand the value of that ticket even more now that you've been so frugal, huh? I tend to get a ticket about 1/10 years. It happens!

Or just move to Az, it's not a fine here yet!

Linda

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Sat May 31, 2014 8:01 am

That stinks, about the ticket. :( it's a fine in my state, too.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:31 am

Saturday, Week 40
NoSEating-S Day
B: yogurt and strawberry smoothie, 1 egg, english muffin, coffee with cream
L: PB&J, chips
D: pizza, wine
JustMoveIt-S Day
Should have rested, but ended up going bike-riding and to the river with the boys.
StrategicSpending-S Day
All Clear
KidsUnplugged-S Day
we played outside most of the day
RaisingReaders-S Day
Reading Rest Day

A very "N"-like S Day, I have to say....
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:38 am

That sounds like a good day. Now I'm hungry for pizza. :D

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:15 pm

Sunday, Week 41
NoSEating-S Day
B: 1 egg, yogurt and fruit smoothie, coffee with milk
L: chocolate milkshake, m&ms, 3 bags chips
D: french dip sandwch
JustMoveIt-S Day
Rest Day; laid on couch all day
StrategicSpending-S Day
Ordered 2 Amazon shows
KidsUnplugged-S Day
5-yr-old and I just laid on couch and played plants vs. zombies and watched movies
I took a Sick day today and tried to totally rest so that I would be ready to head to work Monday.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:07 am

Monday, Week 41
NoSEating-N Day
L: yogurt and fruit smoothie, PB&J, chips
D: lasagne, toast
JustMoveIt-S(ick) Day
still not walking to work, low energy, throat still hurts
StrategicSpending-(S)ick Day
Throat is still too sore to read much (especially after teaching all day) so we are watching "Happily Never After" (which I had to rent on Amazon)
KidsUnplugged-(S)ick Day
See above, but just the one movie
Still not ready to read again.

Overall, the theme is that I pushed too hard and so my recovery is delayed. To make things even more intense today, I had my teaching observation by my boss. It went fine, but made today that much more tiring.

I guess I'm just being very easy on myself by letting the boys watch a movie and not reading to them. Every time I feel guilty about this (frequently over the past few days), I remind myself that it is the long-term habits that matter, not the streak of red (or sick) days that matter in the big scheme of things.

My 8-yr-old was disappointed, tonight, and said, "Reading is better, but a movie is OK". That's gotta be a good sign, right? :)

Ah, this is a rough patch, no doubt about it.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:26 am

That is awesome what your son said to you about reading. A couple of days of not reading is not going to cause any harm. You are a wonderful mom and it's okay to to take care of yourself.

Really hope you recovery fully soon!

Linda

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:45 am

I second everything Linda said. Yes, I hope you feel better soon.

Heather

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:26 pm

Tuesday, Week 41
AHHHHHHHHHH! When will I be normal again? I'm totally unmotivated at work, and I have some serious work to crank out.
NoSEating-N Day
L: chicken pot pie
D: salmon burger, chips
JustMoveIt-S Day
Still resting from daily walk to work
StrategicSpending-N Day
All clear so far
Fail- got Swiss family Robinson to watch with kids
KidsUnplugged-N Day
All Clear so far
Fail- watched another movie
RaisingReaders-N Day
Going for 20 minutes (modification from 30 minutes regular goal for Tuesdays)

To answer a question about StrategicSpending:
I don't spend money at all Monday through Thursday. I have one regular exception: paying babysitters. Medical copays or difficult-to-schedule events, kids activities etc., are also necessary but infrequent exceptions. Fridays are usually no spending, but occasionally I prefer to get my grocery shopping done Friday, especially if we have a busy weekend coming.

Saturday and Sunday are spending days. I do all my shopping, get gas and pay bills on Saturdays. Any online purchases are made on the weekends, too.

Special occasions are NWS Days, just like with NoSEating. Sick days have been S Days, too, lately! :)

My husband is not bound by these parameters, so sometimes he'll bring home take-out on a Friday night. I just go with it.
Last edited by automatedeating on Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

worth it

Post by worth it » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:32 pm

Auto, thank you. Very interesting and, frankly, very clever. I do way too much Amazon/online shopping during the week. It's not huge amounts of money for each purchase (I have the Prime membership so most of the time I don't pay for shipping), BUT... it all adds up. Have to think through what would work best for us, because I occasionally do grocery shopping during the week too. Maybe that would be the exception? Either way, need to "noodle it".

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:36 am

Swiss Family Robinson is a good movie. :D I need to try the No Spending out, too. In my case, I'd probably have to pick two week days. It would definitely save some money for my family.

Worth it, I hear you on Amazon spending!

Heather