automated eating tracker

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

automatedeating

Re: automated eating tracker

Post by automatedeating » Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:47 pm

Linda - I love your friend's short-term survival phrase! I'm going to adopt that one too. Nothing lasts forever, including the rough periods. I think that is the big "scary" in my anxiety head, too. I'll think - I'll feel this anxious forever - I'll never relax again - I'll never be calm enough to connect with my kids again - and on and on.
Feelings pass. They change. Breathe.

I am getting better bit by bit. But I'll be honest - if HappyHerder bites her again, I'll be back to square 1. The trick is managing them in a way that is sustainable. Feeding them separately for meals is doable long-term - but a small pain, yes, although we're finding an rhythm and both dogs happily get in their crates to eat now. Then I leave them in there for 15 min while I brush my teeth or get dressed, etc. The larger issue (to me) is things like table scraps, rawhides, and bully sticks. HappyHerder had been (apparently) fine with these things before "the bite", but now I'm paranoid to risk anything like that. But if they could happily eat their own bones in their own corners of the living room, that would sure be nice long-term. Right now I put them on opposite sides of the baby gate for chew time. And let me tell you - I need them to have their chew time! It calms everyone down and helps them both settle for awhile.

Flowerpup held it for 6.5 hours last night. So progress continues. My sleep score typically averages 83. Week 1 with Flowerpup was a drop to 77 average. Week 2 was 79 average. So I think we will gradually find a our new normal.

Sunday, January 26

So yesterday I accomplished everything on my list and then some! Challenger had BROKEN his bed frame with some sort of a teenage boy stunt, so Sexy and I just hammered the whole thing apart and hauled it out of the room. So he's sleeping on his mattress on the floor. His mattress is so old, so we will replace everything, I think.

Today's goals are smaller - deep clean bathrooms, vacuum the stairs, get caught up on laundry, lots of grading, Creator and I will take Flowerpup to the outside of the grocery store and let people pet her (and of course Creator will get a donut and hot cocoa). One basketball practice. Maybe a nap? :-)

Eating
B: coffee w/half&half, 1/2 a maple bar donut, several squares dark chocolate
L: 3 pieces of pizza (!) - not checking blood sugar (and not wearing the monitor this week either..... - ignorance is bliss today I guess) - well-deserved heartburn after eating this pizza.
D: vanilla ice cream, a snickerdoodle, more dark chocolate
A very nice S day, except for the heartburn from eating junk.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/18-25.6; 8/18-24.5; 10/18-23.8;
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
6/20-22.5; 7/20-23.0; 9/20-23.6
4/21 - 25.2

Teammoney

Post by Teammoney » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:48 pm

Auto, sounds like you and I are very similar mums :D
I like the just surviving tip. Hope you had a great day.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:01 pm

During the night I had an epiphany. I decided that what I need is for HappyHerder to not feel he needs to guard food or rawhides - because they are basically everywhere. So this morning I tried my first experiment to EXTREME success. I put down two food bowls, filled both to the rim, put puppy food in both (because HH prefers the puppy food), and sat between the bowls for monitoring. Both dogs ate plenty. Flowerpup seemed to eat her regular amount. HH ate probably 2X normal, but I let him. I occasionally would scoop more food in their bowl, just so they would see it was raining food. HH remained very relaxed the entire time. He finally stopped eating and wandered off to lay down.

I did eventually pick up the bowls (no need to tempt fate), but then tried experiment #2.
I got out ALL of my remaining chew sticks (about 10). I scattered them around the living room floor and sat down to moderate again. Flowerpup gnawed on one in the time it took HH to eat 4 of them. Yes, completely eat. Then he didn't seem to mind that she still was gnawing on one. I ordered 40 more on Amazon so we can do this again tomorrow.

But at this point HH was stuffed like he's never been stuffed, and has been lazing around. I got out the food bowls again about 2 hours later and he came over to see what was going on but barely ate more than a kernel or two. Eventually he wandered off to lay down again while Flowerpup ate a bit more.

To point something out - I doubt either dog will get fat on this method. Dry dog food is not exactly the stuff of hyperpalatability for a dog. But, and I'm totally serious here, I would rather have a morbidly obese dog that is not food aggressive than have to manage this eating stuff for the next 10 years. Call me irresponsible if you will, but I am feeling exceptionally pleased with myself for thinking outside of the box and seeing almost immediate positive results in their interactions around the food bowl and other treats. I take a perverse pleasure in finding a little success using a method that every dog trainer opposes. I'm such a rebel.

Best of all? My rebellious idea and the immediate success I'm finding with it is easing my anxiety that no amount of Benzos could accomplish. I am Auto, hear me roar.

To add to my joy this morning, I got an 87 sleep score. Didn't need to see it to know that I slept more. Another 6.5 hour stretch for Flowerpup, and she didn't even cry in her crate last night. I think tonight we will finally move the crate up to Creator's room and I will rejoin my husband in our marital bed. LOL.

Feelings change. When I think I will die of anxiety, I need to continually remind myself that joy comes again eventually. Feelings change, shift, never remain forever the same. If HH bites her again, can y'all remind me I will survive? :roll:

Monday, January 27

Eating
B: coffee w/cream, lots of kibble puppy food (haha)
L: beef avocado and cheese bowl, diet coke, cup of yogurt
D: McDonald's burger and fries!!! I guess I needed some sort of pressure release valve from these past couple of weeks. I'm not checking my blood sugar.....
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

worth it

Post by worth it » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:56 pm

Hi auto,

LOVE your experiment and this story. I can’t help but see a small parallel from this story to humans, as well. It seems like all of us may worry about not getting enough of “something”, in this case it was HH and food.

While initially we see he may have overdone it, when HH finally realized there was plenty of food/treats to go around, he will likely stop having aggressive/unusual behavior about it.

Totally translated a No S lesson: once you get safe and reliable food three times a day (or whenever you prescribe to it, ie during a “window” for me), any concern over not getting enough food will likely die down.

Bam! I ❤️ No S. Good for you and your inner rebel! 😈

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:31 pm

I think the experiment is a great idea to get HH used to eating with the perceived threat of fp.

I wouldn't recommend it for ever lol but I suspect a week or 2 and you'll have it sorted.

I'd start by reducing the meals to normal but lots of snacks around for a while. No rush, you'll know when the time is right.

Well done you :)

Now relax!

Jx
Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.

Teammoney

Post by Teammoney » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:04 pm

What a brilliant idea auto.
Worth it, great link to NoS.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:19 pm

Thanks for the support everyone!

Feeding together is going fine so far. I'm almost ready to just leave the bowls down and transition to free-feeding in this household. As it turns out, there are actually plenty of families that take this approach and find it to reduce food aggression and not to have fat dogs from it!
HappyHerder goes to his training day camp this morning. It's definitely nice having a break from one of them once in a while. One dog is most definitely more than twice as easy as two. :roll: :lol:

Tuesday, January 28

Sleep Score: 80

Eating
B: coffee w/half&half, dark chocolate
L: yogurt w/2 strawberries
D: microwave popcorn, TEN store-bought cookies, followed by feeling sick

So - I think that is what is called a binge... :roll: Interesting to see that a few days of loosened eating seemed to trigger the all-out junk fest. Mentally, the thought process was a validation one - I felt I "deserved/needed" a loosening of my general parameters due to the intense stress and sleep deprivation of the puppy issues.
In truth, I think I DID need some sort of dopamine hit like that, but the problem is that eating like that ended up disturbing my sleep, harming my health (blood sugar), and so not necessarily helping in the long run. However, I could have chosen cocaine (haha), visiting a prostitute (double haha), getting drunk (yep, that would have been the regular a year ago), or spending a ton of $$ on something I might regret.

So. It is what it is. I woke up this morning feeling that I need to be more proactice in putting together my healthy foods for the day, despite the dog-issues. In the long run, it will help me cope better. I also considered finding a way to go tanning for a few minutes today to get a little light. Here in the Northwest, it is dark and rainy and so many people get seasonally depressed.

I have been reading a book called "Stress Less Accomplish More" by the founder of Ziva Meditation. I'm committing to 15 min meditations 2x/day for the next 21 days. I'll join my own "21 day club" if I make it. I did my first one this morning. The afternoon one seems the much harder one to fit in. We'll see. At the end of the meditation she has us do "manifesting" in which we imagine something we want and then imagine our life currently has it. Mine was my dogs living harmoniously together around the food bowls and rawhides and other treats.

Wednesday, January 29

Sleep Score: 75

Eating
B: coffee w/half&half, hard-boiled eggs, 1 cutie orange
L: yogurt w/strawberries & blueberries, macadamia nuts
decaf coffee w/half&half
D: (will be) Indian food take-out and date night
I can do this! regular eating and normal meals today.....
oops - already had 6 more cookies...... I am clearly having an S .. "week"... ?

Ziva Meditation Day 1
AM - check
PM - check
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:00 pm

Thursday, January 30

Sleep Score: 86!

Eating
B: coffee w/half&half, dark chocolate, 6 more cookies?!
L: leftover Indian food, more coffee, diet coke
D: wow, so today I ate cookies and Indian food
such a weird week I'm having. If you can't already tell, I'm just going with it. Clearly something in me is needing a break from structure. Eating crap-food is not the best or the worst coping mechanism I could have chosen this week. It just is what it is.

Moving
Doing well on my list today.
10 push ups
10 pull ups
handstand
mobility
etc.
been getting back into this.
Was really thinking about my priorities in life. They are - physical well-being (moving, eating, and sleeping), mental/spiritual well-being (time alone, reading, meditation).
Those are my main things. If I work on those, then I'm a better spouse, parent, and teacher.

Ziva Meditation
AM - Check
PM - Check

In-laws visiting this weekend. House is in disarray and I am sleep deprived and not feeling it...... working on the cleaning bit by bit and still trying to keep up with regular stuff this week. Good thing I'm starting a meditation practice, har har.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:58 pm

Friday, January 31

Sleep Score: 87

Eating
B: coffee w/half & half, 1 cutie, 2 hard-boiled eggs
L: yogurt w/strawberries, walnuts
D: Round Table pizza, cheesy bread......
coffee w/half&half

Busy day today. Have to keep my head down and push.

Ziva Meditation
AM - 5 min (of 15) then interrupted by puppy, then 5 more min... still didn't reach 15 this morning.
PM - check (in parking lot after errands on the way home)
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:58 pm

Saturday, February 1

117.2 lbs
FBG: 107
Sleep Score: 88
Resting HR: 72
Morning BP: 106/64

What will today's eating hold in store? :wink:
It's unpredictable being off the eating rails, that's for sure.

Eating
B: coffee w/half&half, dark chocolate, cutie orange
L: leftover pizza, copious amounts of toffee almonds
D: mini-tacos

Moving
Mobility Routine - check
handstand work

Ziva Meditation
AM - check
PM - check
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

alene1

Post by alene1 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:05 pm

Hi Auto. I hope that your weekend is going along well. I also hope that things with the pups are continuing to stabilize and get better. It sounded like you were finding some good strategies for getting there. I'm sorry about all the stress. Sometimes there's just no way around it, but to get through it and keep finding baby step ways to make it better. In the case of the pup, time helps a lot as she gets older and wiser! :) Sending hugs because I know this has been really challenging for you. How are you enjoying pup's personality when you have time with her alone?

How are you feeling about the food for the coming week? Ready to get back on the rails? :P I know you'll feel more like yourself, as well as feel in control of something that you CAN control. But as you say, using food a a coping mechanism for a time might be better than other things. Is the meditation making any difference for you in your stress levels?

Enjoy your Sunday. We have a touch of sun popping out today, and I hope you do as well!

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:49 pm

Thanks Alene! Things are gradually getting better, although my eating is still wild.

And yes - we had a bit of lovely sun here as well - really nice to go outside with the dogs and not be a sopping mess.

I'm totally enjoying Flowerpup's personality. And we take her everywhere in the car (and I take her occasionally to my office), so we all get to see her without HappyHerder around, lol. She loves people, learns quick as a whip (already making good progress at come, sit, wait, spin, twist, through, back, and place). My husband and the boys have been getting HappyHerder out for short walks, so that's good too. Shockingly, I'm considering doing most of their walks separately, for three reasons:
1) separate time one on one with each dog
2) easier management and training when passing other dogs
3) reinforces my newer and building habit of multiple daily walk/jogs (instead of just one longer one)

Super Bowl yesterday was fun for me. No serious stress of who would win, but I was definitely rooting for the Chiefs and loved seeing their comeback. So a nice day.

Eating (Sunday)
B: coffee w/cream, cinnamon roll
L: jalapeno poppers, toffee almonds, some jelly beans

Moving
Good mobility, strength, etc. I'm actually doing pretty good on some movement, just not getting the walks going on again yet. It'll come.

Ziva Meditation
AM - check
PM - check
finished both but with interruptions. I guess I shouldn't "grade" my meditations, but I think I suck.

Eating (today - Monday)
B: coffee w/cream, last of the damn cinnamon rolls (and yes I enjoyed every bite)
L: fish tacos with in-laws for Sexy's birthday (which is tomorrow but they won't be here then)
D: um, yeah, so I found one more cinnamon roll. I thought one of our guests would eat it this morning, but there it was, just waiting to be eaten by me.
decaf coffee w/cream

Moving
Good so far on mobility

Ziva Meditation, Day 5? or Day 6?
AM - another crappy interrupted (but completed) session
PM - interrupted once by kiddos but otherwise less frustrating than the previous few sessions have been. I spent the last few minutes imagining my morning routine slipping into a nice pattern.... but this was surprisingly challenging and visualizing it helped me realize that it is a LOT to do! mediate (15 min), morning mobility/exercises (15 min), walk/jog (20 min even for a short one)...... all before needing to get kids ready for school. Which made it seem I need to start at 5:30am. Not terribly difficult, honestly. I often struggle to go back to sleep for that last hour anyway. But anathema to me to force myself to get up if I don't absolutely have to, considering my current sleep deprivation.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:24 am

I find myself at an interesting observational crossroads. I have been eating junk like I've not eaten in years. The triggers are exceedingly easy to identify: 1) sleep deprivation that lasted for weeks (no wonder I overate when my babies were little); 2) EXTREME stress. Initially, my appetite actually completely disappeared. I lost 5 pounds in a week. Then, the combined sleep deprivation and the still-present but not so acute stress collapsed my eating habits into a maelstrom of face-stuffing hedonism since Saturday, Jan 25th when I kicked off my processed foods with a Dairy Queen cheeseburger. Since then it's been ugly. Eating that kind of food is like having a drug or something - I just crave more and more and the eating has NOTHING to do with whether I'm "hungry". It's all about dopamine pleasure. So how many days has it been? 10 days. 10 days of poor nutrition. Not the end of the world. But a fascinating study in human nature.

So. My way of eating was so habitual it required little to no willpower. But now I've unleashed the hounds of craving, so to speak. And therefore now I get to suffer for a few days as I decide to eat properly again. I have not attempted to reign in the monster yet because I KNOW I do not have the tenacity to suffer additionally (voluntarily) right now. But with each passing day I feel a little more emotionally stable, and more rested. So. Time to take this bull by the horns? Not sure.... yes? Maybe not? Yes! Yes! So, as you can see, I am facing inner turmoil. It's my own sort of "what the hell effect" - meaning I feel like I need to eat perfectly according to my needs each day or not bother going through the change-over yet. That's probably not a good strategy; but on the other hand, I know that there is a real physiological basis to the craving/"faux" hunger of processed foods. I can't seem to eat "some" processed foods and enjoy the same kind of craving-free living I generally get to enjoy.

Anyway. Each day I think "today is the day" and it just hasn't happened yet.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

Whosonfirst

Post by Whosonfirst » Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:53 am

automatedeating wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:24 am
I find myself at an interesting observational crossroads. I have been eating junk like I've not eaten in years. The triggers are exceedingly easy to identify: 1) sleep deprivation that lasted for weeks (no wonder I overate when my babies were little); 2) EXTREME stress. Initially, my appetite actually completely disappeared. I lost 5 pounds in a week. Then, the combined sleep deprivation and the still-present but not so acute stress collapsed my eating habits into a maelstrom of face-stuffing hedonism since Saturday, Jan 25th when I kicked off my processed foods with a Dairy Queen cheeseburger. Since then it's been ugly. Eating that kind of food is like having a drug or something - I just crave more and more and the eating has NOTHING to do with whether I'm "hungry". It's all about dopamine pleasure. So how many days has it been? 10 days. 10 days of poor nutrition. Not the end of the world. But a fascinating study in human nature.

So. My way of eating was so habitual it required little to no willpower. But now I've unleashed the hounds of craving, so to speak. And therefore now I get to suffer for a few days as I decide to eat properly again. I have not attempted to reign in the monster yet because I KNOW I do not have the tenacity to suffer additionally (voluntarily) right now. But with each passing day I feel a little more emotionally stable, and more rested. So. Time to take this bull by the horns? Not sure.... yes? Maybe not? Yes! Yes! So, as you can see, I am facing inner turmoil. It's my own sort of "what the hell effect" - meaning I feel like I need to eat perfectly according to my needs each day or not bother going through the change-over yet. That's probably not a good strategy; but on the other hand, I know that there is a real physiological basis to the craving/"faux" hunger of processed foods. I can't seem to eat "some" processed foods and enjoy the same kind of craving-free living I generally get to enjoy.

Anyway. Each day I think "today is the day" and it just hasn't happened yet.
Wow, that's some amazing things you're going through. Where is access to all this junk/bad food coming from: home/take out? Since my wife has embarked on a diet to battle her cholesterol & pre-diabetic blood tests, our last food shopping trip started the ball rolling to get rid of junk in our house. Not there yet, but a big improvement. I have confidence you'll get this under control. You've tackled and beaten bigger foes.
https://twitter.com/SipeEngineering
Current weight(9/2020)-212 lbs.
Goal Weight- 205 lbs.
NoS Goal: >= 80% Success days

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:54 pm

Whos, sigh, it's usually my husband and kids that are bringing crap home. And no one, seriously, no one, is open to the idea of not having stuff around to humor me. Normally it's not an issue - but my recent stressors pushed me into the temptation territory. Oh, and all the take-out (pizza, fast food) - that is also something the rest of the family does and I make my own food, but I've happily given myself over to pizza and rice and everything else recently.
I know that most families tackle their eating together (or at least that's the recommendation) - but that's not the reality in my home and I lack the gumption to take on that battle. I do OK despite the food environment normally.
Thanks for commenting and for encouraging.

Tuesday, February 4

FBG: 106

Eating
B: 2 cuties, coffee w/cream
L: nachos w/beans, cheese, and guacamole, some popcorn, and 2 pieces of fudge
D: fish tacos and some french fries
(will have) decaf coffee w/cream

I talked with my co-worker that has prediabetes. She encouraged me to focus on protein as I try to extricate myself from my overeating of processed foods. It was nice just to get her support.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

alene1

Post by alene1 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:37 pm

Hi Auto. It's good that you are continuing to post and carry on your usual routine here. The habits that have stood you in such stead for so long will bring you back "home." The fact you posted your BG yesterday, and that you spoke to your friend at work for support and good signs that you are moving back toward that groove in the road that you've been on for a long time. One baby step at a time will get you there. Protein is a great way to fill up. I hope your Wednesday is a really good one!

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:55 pm

Thanks Alene. I do feel that I'll get back on track, but the bumpiness of the return is a bit embarrassing.
It helps that this journal thread is a habit (not just the eating) - and it also helps that this journal is far FAR more than just writing about food or even health. This is my breathing space.

Wednesday, February 5

My sleep scores have been 88, 89, 87 this week. Even better than they often were pre-puppy. Strange. Maybe all those carbs are helping me get some more deep sleep or something like that.
Resting HR has been SOOOOOO high! 75!!!! multiple days! And typical is more like 67-70, so this is a mystery. Is it stress? Lack of exercise? Too much sugar for my metabolism to handle? Am I fighting off the new coronavirus? :mrgreen:

Eating
B: coffee w/half & half, 2 cuties, 2 hard-boiled eggs, 1 container of yogurt
L: nut mix - walnuts, pumpkin seeds, macadamia; yogurt w/berries
D: Japanese Hibachi grill - I'll get the filet mignon and try to go easy on the rice. Celebrating Sexy's birthday
(dessert - ice cream birthday cake

Moving
Really prioritizing my morning mobility routine. It makes me feel good.

Ziva Meditation Day 7? or 8?
AM - check
PM - check

My morning meditation, for the first clear time, made a decided difference to my morning. I was feeling grumpy and stressed because I have a very long day (that includes a presentation to other faculty) and will have to pop home twice (and so will Sexy) to let our Flowerpup. Ultimately she'll be crated about 8 hours today (with breaks, as I said), which I feel guilty and anxious about. But after the meditation, I felt calmer about getting through my day. Flowerpup will be fine. I'll be fine. I spent the manifesting part of my meditation imagining going through today and not angsting over every decision and moment - just going through the day..... it felt really good.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:51 pm

Thursday, February 6

FBG: 105mg/dL
Resting HR: 75 beats per minute. That is so high! predictive of an early death (I'm actually not kidding)

Eating
B: coffee w/half&half, 2 cuties, 2 hard-boiled eggs, 1 yogurt container (using these up - got them for kids but they don't like this variety)
L: leftover filet mignon with rice & veggies
D: 2 sugar cookies. :roll:

Ziva Meditation
AM - check, did it about 2am when I couldn't sleep. This works, but isn't ideal, since I'm hoping to fall back to sleep, and I guess normally in meditation I'm not supposed to. I bought a chain of beads to move through my fingers while I meditate; I like movement or something tactile.
PM - Check! Pulled this off by meditating in the car, in a back corner of a parking lot, with the puppy sleeping in the backseat ..... I was in-between kid pick-ups and drop-offs.

Moving
Mobility Routine, handstands, etc. are main focuses these days until I'm back into my walk/jogs
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:15 pm

Friday, February 7

Weight: 118.8 lbs
FBG: 111
Resting HR: 73 thank god this is coming down a little

Eating
B: coffee w/half&half, 2 cuties, 2 hard-boiled eggs
L: leftover chicken, beef, rice & veggies
decaf coffee w/half&half
D: McDonald's burger & fries, an m&m Mcflurry, 3 sugar cookies

Moving
Mobility work continues - my shoulders are appreciating the extra attention
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:44 pm

Saturday, February 8

Eating
B: coffee w/cream, some leftover chicken pieces & veggies from the take-out, some bacon
L: 2 egg bites (cheese, bacon, egg mixture), decaf coffee w/cream
D: salmon and Caesar salad
I was feeling a bit naseaus (I think maybe sugar withdrawal...?), and I had 2 cutie oranges which cured it. I also had a "keto" ice cream bar in the evening and some dark chocolate.

Here's a written reminder of all the lovely foods I can happily eat without worsening my blood glucose control or gaining weight:
meat, fish, eggs, yogurt, cheese, coffee, cream, half&half, salad, veggies, walnuts, macadamia nuts, pumpkin seeds, coke zero, cutie oranges, strawberries, blueberries, sparkling water

Overall a good day, definitely moving in the right direction food-wise.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:51 pm

Sunday, February 9

FBG: 97
Resting HR: 73

Eating
B: (lots of) coffee w/cream, 1 cutie, 1 yogurt container, 2 hard-boiled eggs, 3 pieces of bacon
L: chicken street tacos and only 1 tortilla
D: yogurt container, 1 cutie orange, walnuts
decaf coffee w/half& half, 2 keto bars

Moving
I'm starting to shape up a plan where I run with HappyHerder once a day. Evenings might be better because there are more people to entertain Flowerpup.
Update here - took HappyHerder on a 15 minute walk/jog. I know that may not sound like much, but it felt amazing. I had energy, the cool night air invigorated me, I felt happy and at peace and HappyHerder moved with gorgeous grace.

I'm trying to just observe the cravings as they pass over me like waves. With each resistance, I find myself feeling a little more empowered that I can do this (and honestly, a little more like myself again). Each time I see the bag of cookies (that I've been scarfing for 2 weeks) but say - no, I don't need that; each time I resist a fast food joint - my willpower muscles are getting a little stronger. But just like working out, I need to be careful not to "workout" my willpower muscles so much that I am vulnerable to the next temptation.
It's felt scary to be out of control with my eating. Like there is an alien inside of me that is trying to run the show.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

alene1

Post by alene1 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:59 pm

Auto, I'm glad things are moving in the right direction with the food. I think you negotiated this time well with a matter of fact and accepting attitude, knowing it was only temporary, and fully aware what purpose the food was serving for you. I'll look forward to hearing about your runs!

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:34 pm

Thank you, Alene! I am feeling fragile but, as you said, moving in the right direction. I like your concept of thinking, "I need a bridge". I think that's something I could use. Specifically, gum is quite helpful for me too when I am feeling "snacky" or even just a little icky or bla. I was reading that it's recommended for anxiety attacks because it helps the body produce saliva, which is parasympathetically driven, which then overall calms the body by decreasing sympathetic drive. I don't know that it was magical for me during the worst days of my anxiety attacks, but it did seem to almost immediately ease the nausea symptom.

Monday, February 10

FBG: 98
Sleep Score: 88 - boys have a late start today. I woke up at 7am to discover that Creator had taken Flowerpup out at 6am and been playing with her since. Good boy - thank you Creator! :-)

Eating
B: coffee w/half&half, cutie, yogurt container, 2 hard-boiled eggs
L: yogurt container, more decaf coffee, a big handful of walnuts
D: ham steak and caesar salad, another yogurt container, cutie orange
more decaf, a keto bar....

Moving
Goals of regular mobility and push-ups, pull-ups (per usual) PLUS 2 short walk/jogs, one with HappyHerder and then a training leash walk w/ the pup. Not much for exercise but it will be a start and also give the dogs some routine. I'll be aiming for morning and evening. Flowerpup has her "witching hour" from 7:00 - 9:00pm, where she is antsy and whiny - I think she is like a tired toddler at that time. So that might be a good time to get her outside and let her sniff a bit. But we'll see. As long as I get out with each one of them each day, I'll count this as success.
Update - got in the walk/jog with HappyHerder and the leash walk with Flowerpup. Played HORSE with Creator, watched Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, finished my grading, made my students a Quizlet. Good day. Not perfect, but such is life.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

alene1

Post by alene1 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:23 pm

Really interesting info about the gum-chewing! I'm glad the bridge concept was helpful. I actually heard about that listening to the Low Carb MD Podcast a few months ago. There was a doctor on who used it. I'll have to look up his name and link it for you. I think you would enjoy his take on things.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:19 pm

Tuesday, February 11

FBG: 99
Sleep Score: 89
Resting HR: 72 (believe it or not, this is the lowest it has been since Jan 31st).

Eating
B: coffee w/cream, yogurt container, cutie, 2 hard-boiled eggs
L: walnuts, pumpkin seeds, another yogurt container, more coffee (decaf)
D: beef salad bowl (spaghetti for kids), cutie

Moving
Leash walk w/Flowerpup - yep
Walk/Jog w/HappyHerder
Morning Mobility - yep

Ziva Meditation - haven't missed a day yet (2 weeks at it), but can't say that I notice huge differences. One day I did (as reported a few days ago). But I'll stick with the commitment.
AM - Check
PM - Check but I didn't get this done until bedtime, which is not ideal. I think I fell asleep at the end, before I got to the last couple of minutes of gratitude and then manifesting.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

alene1

Post by alene1 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:50 pm

Good morning! Looks like you're getting back into the flow in all areas. I'm happy for you. It will be interesting to see whether you find the meditation to be helpful in the long term. My short Aura meditations have been helpful for me so far, as I use them in the moment of needing to relax/de-stress. I hope you have a great Wednesday.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:54 pm

Wednesday, February 12

Yes, Alene, I'm feeling more myself. I enjoy coming out of these scary/sad funks and noticing the cycles of life, and my own personal extreme swings (from time to time). I like trying to note that the rough times in life never last.... the meditation may be improving my sleep quality, but I really have no way of confirming this at the moment. So many variables in my life right now. I can definitely rule out some of the usual suggestions because my exercise is poop, my stress level has been abnormally high, and my eating is nothing special. If eating plays in, it would be that I'm eating more than normal, but avoiding refined foods. Not quite as strict as normally, actually. Weight back to normal, thankfully. It had gone from ~117 down to ~112 the week after the "bite" incident. Then, for 2 straight weeks, hedony. Weight up to ~120. Now seeming to drop back to where I was. I do worry about having lost muscle mass and just gained back fat, though. I was SOOOO stressed. That couldn't have been good for muscle mass.

FBG: 100
Sleep Score: 92! (my highest ever was a 94 and that was only 1 night months ago)
Resting HR: 71, continuing to drop thankfully!

Ziva Meditation - could this include my increased sleep quality? Certainly it's not more exercise or less stress that's helping me sleep.
AM - Check
PM -

Eating
B: coffee w/cream, 1 yogurt container, 1 cutie, 2 "egg bites"
L: (will be) walnuts, pumpkin seeds, yogurt w/berries, diet coke
D: (will be) salad + ham?

Moving
Yesterday was so-so. I did actually go on a 3 (very) short walks, but otherwise didn't get my walk/jog in. It's just so tough with the puppy to get away. It really does take me back to the baby/toddler years when I couldn't get any time to myself. I need to remember that this time will pass quickly. Things are already getting easier - this morning I didn't get her up until 5:35am, and I had crated her at 9pm. So 8.5 hours she held it! And although she did go outside, she wasn't in any hurry or discomfort. So yes! Victory for sleep! What's doubly-amazing is that I've been getting good sleep scores even though I've been taking her out at 4 am for a week.
Anyway, I'll get in mobility, pull-ups, bridge, etc. - all of that stuff has been happening (I track it all on coach.me, not so consistently here....too much to write without the fun of emotional sharing, lol), but the walk/jogs just aren't there yet. Time. I just need more time.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:41 pm

Thursday, February 13

Sleep Score: 76 - Ugh. didn't sleep well because my mind got going about puppy worries last night and then I couldn't settle. Flowerpup was TERRIFIED of the dogs in her puppy class. She peed on the floor when other pups came to say hello and then I had to hold her while all the other dogs romped and played. :roll:
This is so ironic that I need to find the humor here. My first dog loves other dogs so much that he was impossible to handle during puppy classes; and now this one won't even look at the other dogs without shaking. There was another Aussie there that reminded me of HappyHerder; he was spinning on his leash the whole hour and yelping at the top of his lungs with frustration about not being able to play.
Of course in my mind I'm going down this road of Flowerpup developing fear-aggression issues. I spent the night coming up with treatment plans for desensitization and counterconditioning. Not that I've been that successful at training ANY of my dogs. Sure, I can get them to do basic obedience, but these temperament things - ugh.

ZivaMeditation
AM - check
AM again - check
(the program says don't do extra, but WTH, I need extra)
PM - check

Eating
B: coffee w/cream, cutie, 2 hard-boiled eggs
L: yogurt w/berries, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, more decaf
D: salad, cutie, keto bar
decaf coffee, sugar-free jello

Moving
I don't feel like moving. I feel like sitting in a ball and crying.
I hate myself and my stupid anxiety and how I want things in life that then I can't handle. I hate that I worry about stupid things that other people don't worry about, and I hate feeling that people think I'm weird and no fun because of my crazy worries. I hate feeling like no one understands, and worse, that no one can fix things for me. Deep breath.

Update
Well - I ended up going on a walk/jog w/HappyHerder and took Flowerpup to work for an hour and then we had a nice socialization session when I picked up the kids. Shockingly, she seems more comfortable with the kids than the adults, which is pretty unusual in my experience with dogs.
Tomorrow meeting with another adult calm dog. We'll see how it goes. I don't have high hopes for a turn-around but I know I have no choice but to keep working the problem. Also wrote the same trainers that have been so helpful with HappyHerder - I'm hoping they have a nice supply of friendly, calm dogs for me to introduce the pup to.
I guess it could be nice to have a dog that is not interested in other dogs. I've never had that before; in fact, one of my dreams when I got HappyHerder was to have a dog that ignored other dogs (remember my previous reactive dog). I'd forgotten about that dream, seeing as HappyHerder adores other dogs and can't be happy without them. But maybe Flowerpup could actually do that on a walk at some point in her life. LOL.

Also got reasonable mobility work in, etc. Day ended OK.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

alene1

Post by alene1 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:02 pm

Auto, I'm sending you the biggest hug. I'm so sorry you're feeling this way. I'm sure it was triggering to have things not go well with Flower Pup. Just remember this is her first class and it was a new environment and a totally foreign situation for her. I bet she will come around with time. You are so not alone with your anxiety. So many people experience it, and it can be debilitating. I think everyone does to some extent. You are doing all the right things to manage it, and these feelings will pass. Just like the extreme feelings you had when you first got Flower Pup did. The great thing about emotions is that they come and they go. I hope today is a much better day for you. ((((Auto))))

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:39 pm

Hugs auto, be kind to yourself, stop the hating. You are unique beautiful you.

Flowerpup will be fine as long as you stay relaxed, dogs do pick up our anxieties. Deep breath smile and show fp all is well.

Easier said than done I know, positive thoughts winging their way to you.

Jxxxx
Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:18 am

Alene - you are so right. Feelings pass through me like waves. My waves just are big and scary sometimes, and they last longer than I think I can survive. But I do make it through. I feel like I spent my 20's trying/failing to suppress and unknowingly reacting to my deep-seated issues. My 30's - um - I was surviving. Sad and depressed sometimes, recognizing issues but not seemingly able to settle with them and get through the discomfort resolution required. Now here I am in my 40's with many issues (thankfully) resolved, but some very stubborn ones sticking around - namely, anxiety. Anxiety stills my joy! I want to shut that thief up once and for all, but some days

Soprano - I know, you are also so right. I am well aware of the way that dogs pick up on our emotional states. Ugh. Working on it. Thanks for the positive thoughts - just grabbed some on the air. :wink:
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:39 pm

Friday!!! February 14

Challenger14 got his basketball pictures back. He is still capable of a kind smile! I had started to wonder.

Eating
B: coffee w/half&half
L: walnuts, pumpkin seeds, yogurt w/berries, more decaf
D: salad + tortilla chips w/cheese & guac

ZivaMeditation
AM - Check
PM - Fail. :-( I tried four times! The first time I should have stuck with it - I had come home from work and dropping off a kid at an activity. I was going to sit in my car for 15 min to meditate but the dogs were crated and I was parked outside and I felt guilty leaving them crated for any longer. I also felt self-conscious in case a neighbor walked by. So I gave up that time and I regret that, because the next 2X I got interrupted by dogs or kids, and then the last time I was exhausted and fell asleep.

Speaking of exhausted - yesterday I was crazy tired. Crazy. Crazy. Crazy tired. As seen below, at least when I finally went to bed I slept great.

Moving
Not much accomplished. Fridays are always my busiest days at work, and Sexy and Challenger are out of town for a basketball tourney, so I had a couple extra pick ups and drop offs with Creator and had to try to get home between classes to let Flowerpup out and then Creator had a birthday party that of course we hadn't bought anything for yet. Anyway, everything got done but I didn't exercise at all.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:35 pm

Saturday, February 15

FBG: 102
Weight: 118.0
Sleep Score: 88 (with over 2 hours of deep sleep - wow that was a huge record. Also considering I only slept 7.5 hours total. Seriously, could the meditation be helping improve my sleep quality or is this just a random thing? Especially in light of my recent anxiety, lack of exercise, poor eating, etc., you can see how this improved sleep is shocking to me. But I am ever so grateful.)

Eating
B: coffee w/cream, 2 hard-boiled eggs
L: Just Peachy frozen yogurt w/Creator after his basketball games (2 - double-header), nachos w/cheese & avocado
dessert - vanilla ice cream while Creator and I watched Frozen II. What a great movie!!
diet coke, contemplating my eating a bit and not wanting to lose my mind totally with fun food this weekend.
D: microwaveable popcorn

Moving
I will try to do a walk/jog w/HappyHerder and leave Flowerpup home with Creator.
What a good day! I took Flowerpup on a walk (a run really, lol) around the block. She met one polite older dog and did much better than previously. Then left her with Creator while I took HappyHerder on a walk/jog. I got 13K steps today!!!! Amazing!

ZivaMeditation
AM - check had to fight for this one. Pups wouldn't settle so I crated them both!! I went back upstairs and did the 15 min.
PM - check went upstairs and left dogs with Creator. Had a particularly restful meditation. One of the most refreshing ones I've had.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:27 pm

Sunday, February 16

FBG: 104
Sleep Score: 85
Resting HR: 71

ZivaMeditation - Day 19!
AM - check - almost gave in to not doing it because the pups were playing, but then gave it a try and managed to finish.
PM -
I'm convinced that meditation is a non-negotiable need for me. I can't quantify the results for sure - life has too many uncontrolled variables - but it appears my glucose is more stable after meals (!!), my deep sleep has DOUBLED (from 1 hour/night to 2 hours/night), and my focus on work (writing tests, grading, creative work) has become more productive. This could be coincidence. I'm leaning toward these positive things at least partially from meditation because I can't say it's exercise (I've been far more sedentary than normal); eating well (more crap than normal); or low stress time (off the charts puppy-anxiety attack Jan 18 - 25).
So, ZivaMeditation gets its place of honor above Eating for the time being.

Eating
B: coffee w/cream
L: yogurt w/berries
D: tortilla chips w/cheese & avocado, 1 cutie
desserts: vanilla ice cream, a snickers bar
microwave popcorn

Moving
My sister is stopping by on her way through town today. She's bringing her Aussiedoodle puppy, who has the same birthday as Flowerpup! Cousin-puppies! And both coal-black long-haired puppies, although her pup's fur is much curlier! They are 3 months old today.
Flowerpup has gotten much more settled, I think, in the past few days. Kind of a rapid change, honestly, in the matter of a few days.... puppies can change fast. It's like a little switch in her head went, "OK life is safe with these people. New experiences aren't deadly." I've seen her start to roll over for belly rubs, enjoy being handled all over her body (instead of being sort of wary sometimes), and she gets a little wiggly swagger now on our "block walks" (rather than nervously glancing around and spooking at strange sounds). She met an adult dog yesterday and was timid but didn't pee or try to dart away. She wanted me to put her down on the ground to meet the school kids at pick-up time (rather than wanting me to hold her).
Oh, back to moving goals: walk/jog w/HappyHerder really should be non-negotiable, like meditating. He needs it, I need it. Mobility is pretty well established habit first thing in the morning now. Pull-ups, push-ups on the docket. Bridge work for sure. That tends to consist of working to mobilize my upper back. I'm already getting a dowager hump from poor thoracic mobility, I feel like. So that's why the bridge work is so important to me.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

Teammoney

Post by Teammoney » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:27 pm

I’m just skim reading all the things that I missed in the last fortnight and I have to tell you how inspirational you are not just in your positive and insightful replies to everyone on this forum but also your own reflective thread. You’re doing so extremely well even when you are swerving a bit for your standards. 👏👏👏

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:09 pm

Monday, Feb 17
SOOOO glad it's an N Day. I went a little wild this weekend and I need to get stable again.

FBG: 115 (gulp)
Sleep Score: 81

ZivaMeditation 6:11am
AM - Check
PM - Check - I did this one early (about 12:30) because I was needing it. Really needing it.

Eating
B: coffee w/half&half, cutie, 1 egg bite. I hate the Costco egg bites. They are gross. I like the Starbuck's ones but the Costco ones are a poor copy.
L: tortilla chips w/cheese, 1 snickerdoodle, a bunch of caramel popcorn - I put on a new glucose monitor and spiked to 176mg/dL and then crashed to 65mg/dL. Business as usual when I eat like this. Not sure precisely what went sideways. I started my grading this morning and thought I'd have a regular day. Then got all antsy and irritable and feeling all behind about things.
D:

Moving
Mobility work - lots of good stuff here, plus push/pull workout etc.
Walk/jog -

Yesterday was interesting. Thankfully I got a lot done early, but then my sister arrived at 9am. She stayed until 2pm, but in hindsight, I can see that the visit used up all my "adaptation" energy, and I was just a puddle after that. She brought her adorable 3 month old Aussiedoodle and the pups all played a lot, but it also required a lot of management; HappyHerder was beside himself with excitement. Whenever we tried to separate him to another room (with a peanut butter filled kong or some other amazing treat) he was yelping to high heaven. But he played too rough of course. After my sister left at 2pm, Flowerpup fell asleep until 8:30pm - yes, 6.5 hours. Obviously it was just all too much for her too. :-) At least that napping gave me a break. Then I had to stay up until 10:30pm with her (bedtime is normally 9pm), but I was fine doing that for her and figured it could have been worse after that long nap.
I was really glad I was able to fit in my afternoon meditation after that; I think it salvaged the rest of the day mood-wise/enjoyment wise. However, I had nothing left to do anything productive, and I indulged in more celebratory foods than was reasonable. It's fascinating to observe how truly draining social interactions are for me. Humans are so funny - some of us barely can tolerate hanging out with others of our own species - and yet none of us (well, mostly none of us) wants to be truly "alone" or friendless. Someone on these boards noted a while back that this NoS forum attracts introspective introverts. How true that is. I will point out that teaching uses up so much of my "interactive" desires that it makes sense I don't want to hang out with people much more than that.
Maybe I should read that book Quiet after all. I haven't up until this point, because I can be an absolute chatterbox and feel ashamed of that. I figured that book would just make me feel worse about talking too much sometimes. But on the other hand, I also feel guilty for not WANTING to be more social or do more outings. It can be hard on my kids, I think.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

Whosonfirst

Post by Whosonfirst » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:28 pm

automatedeating wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:09 pm
Monday, Feb 17
SOOOO glad it's an N Day. I went a little wild this weekend and I need to get stable again.

FBG: 115 (gulp)

ZivaMeditation 6:11am
AM - Check
PM -

Eating
B: coffee w/half&half
L:
D:

Moving
Mobility work -
Walk/jog -

Yesterday was interesting. Thankfully I got a lot done early, but then my sister arrived at 9am. She stayed until 2pm, but in hindsight, I can see that the visit used up all my "adaptation" energy, and I was just a puddle after that. She brought her adorable 3 month old Aussiedoodle and the pups all played a lot, but it also required a lot of management; HappyHerder was beside himself with excitement. Whenever we tried to separate him to another room (with a peanut butter filled kong or some other amazing treat) he was yelping to high heaven. But he played too rough of course. After my sister left at 2pm, Flowerpup fell asleep until 8:30pm - yes, 6.5 hours. Obviously it was just all too much for her too. :-) At least that napping gave me a break. Then I had to stay up until 10:30pm with her (bedtime is normally 9pm), but I was fine doing that for her and figured it could have been worse after that long nap.
I was really glad I was able to fit in my afternoon meditation after that; I think it salvaged the rest of the day mood-wise/enjoyment wise. However, I had nothing left to do anything productive, and I indulged in more celebratory foods than was reasonable. It's fascinating to observe how truly draining social interactions are for me. Humans are so funny - some of us barely can tolerate hanging out with others of our own species - and yet none of us (well, mostly none of us) wants to be truly "alone" or friendless. Someone on these boards noted a while back that this NoS forum attracts introspective introverts. How true that is. I will point out that teaching uses up so much of my "interactive" desires that it makes sense I don't want to hang out with people much more than that.
Maybe I should read that book Quiet after all. I haven't up until this point, because I can be an absolute chatterbox and feel ashamed of that. I figured that book would just make me feel worse about talking too much sometimes. But on the other hand, I also feel guilty for not WANTING to be more social or do more outings. It can be hard on my kids, I think.
You seem to doing well, when a person says their weekend was a little wild and their posted wt. is 118#! How would that weekend of wildness compare to "Auto's" wild weekends back 7 years ago?
https://twitter.com/SipeEngineering
Current weight(9/2020)-212 lbs.
Goal Weight- 205 lbs.
NoS Goal: >= 80% Success days

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:20 pm

Thanks Whos. Actually this morning the scale is up again..... I need to get this runaway train under control.

FBG: 116mg/dL eek
Sleep Score: 82

ZivaMeditation
AM - check (6am)
PM - check (5:30pm in a parking lot after a kid drop-off - this one was particularly challenging because Challenger14 was home sick on the couch. But I knew he was safe for 15 minutes, and that the meditation was essential for me handling his illness more kindly/wisely, etc)

I'm feeling like I could cry at the moment. That high fasting glucose really scares me. Yes, I've been eating poorly lately, but that number is higher than I've ever seen in the morning. Right now it's at 133mg/dL and all I've had is a cup of decaf coffee.... The other thing is that I lack my usual confidence that I can get back on track, that a little wild eating will run its course. Each day I ride an emotional roller-coaster of depression, anxiety, euphoria, hope, then despair. It's like every day has some of each. The bad days are mostly just the rougher feelings, and the better days are almost all hopeful.

Obviously getting the puppy put me well beyond my life coping skills. Clear. I wonder if people that choose to have another baby ever feel like this. As if they should have left well enough alone and not added more responsibilities to their life. But even as I type this, I want this life. I just want it to be smooth. I like to control everything, and right now I can't. Even in this darkness, I do feel a tingle of excitement at how much I am learning. I sure have seen how my mind and body respond under stress. And, I am coping for the first time in my life without alcohol. In summer 2016 I had a similar anxiety attack - I ended up getting benzos for a month - just a total of 6 pills altogether, but it was enough of a treat that I still remember how good they made me feel (which is probably a good reason I am avoiding them this time). Anyway, that attack lasted about a month and I was coping with benzos and alcohol (and basically not coping - now that I remember back - I had diarrhea, vomiting, and cryfests for a month, and major major insomnia.) That attack came during time off work, too. This time I just have to keep on truckin'.

Eating
B: coffee w/cream, 1 cutie, 2 hard-boiled eggs
L: walnuts, macadamia nuts, pumpkin seeds, yogurt, berries
D: chicken tortilla soup w/cheese & avocado, and a cutie

Moving
Mobility Routine - check
walk/jog - nope

When I got home from work, Challenger was on the couch sick with the flu. Just today, one of my student's brother was taken off life support and passed away...... from the flu. And then this crazy coronavirus. So my anxiety bloomed. I tried so hard to keep it from getting away from me. But once I'm already near the edge (as I've been constantly for a month), it is really hard for me to keep things tamped down. I'm just sitting here looking at him and fretting.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:59 pm

I've been reading a lot re blood sugars and I'm sure you are aware but coffee can be attributed to spiking it and also the dawn effect.

Try not to stress, this too will pass. You are doing great.

Jxx

Teammoney

Post by Teammoney » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:49 pm

It sounds like a tough time. Maybe having to keep on trucking with work will turn out to be a good thing, I certainly hope so!
Honestly, when you describe the puppy play date it sounds so much like some of the play dates I have for my toddlers and I feel similarly mentally exhausted afterwards. I remind myself daily that these years are short and they will be more independent and hopefully adjusted too soon although some days this is less helpful.
Hang in there xxx

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:58 pm

Just read this on Facebook, I'm sure it will make more sense to you than me but it's very interesting re blood glucose readings :)

My Fasting Challenge

[Long post, but interesting, I hope, especially with those who are highly insulin resistant and struggle to bring down blood sugars even while fasting.]

NOTE: I am under the care of a weight-loss doctor who uses low-carb/keto diet and fasting protocols to treat her patients. She is a licensed Internal Medicine specialist, and is fully aware of my efforts and trusts me to monitor my blood sugars closely and self-dose insulin conservatively.

After a binge on movie-theater popcorn on the evening of Friday, Feb 7, I decided to restart my commitment to using prolonged fasting to reverse this disease. [I was diagnosed with T2DM in 2002, and started injected insulin in 2016].

**My Background in Fasting/Keto**

I am no newbie to fasting. I have often done OMAD (one meal a day), ADF (alternate day fasting), and other intermittent fasting protocols (I define intermittent fasting as any fasts lasting 16 to 48 hours between eating windows). And when I am on these protocols,I tend to stay pretty strictly keto during my eating windows. However, my compliance is spotty on the fasting, and I find that if I eat *anything* it can start a cascade into compulsive overeating. I have also done a few extended fasts in the past-- several 3.5 days fasts and my longest fast of 115 hours (5 hours short of 5 days).

**The Perplexing Question**

In my experience of all this, a mystery has developed about my body: My waking blood sugars have always been high, due to strong Dawn Phenomenon in me, but contrary to all expectations of Type 2 diabetics, my blood sugars don't come down quickly when fasting. On an extended fast, it's not uncommon to start my fast with a waking BG of 285, and have it gently slide down to 245, 230, 205, on each subsequent morning, and still be at 190 after 4 full days of fasting. Where does the sugar come from? My understanding of metabolism is that the liver and muscles store only about 1300 calories of glycogen. Surely, I'd have burned through all my existing blood sugar and those glycogen reserves in 4 days, right???!!! When I've asked about this in forums, I've been told flat-out by some people that I must be lying about my fasting-- that I must be cheating on the fast-- because there's no way I could have a BG of 200 after 4 days of fasting.

**Mystery Solved?**

So last Monday, after 2 days of fasting and the same pattern emerging, I dove back into the research, and I found out about CRTC2, a "transcription co-factor" which is found in the cytoplasm of liver cells. These molecules bond with something called CREB, allowing the CREB to enter the cell nuclei to trigger glyco-and gluco-neogenesis, processes which convert proteins and lipids into carbohydrates.

Believe me, my eyes also get crossed when I read the gritty details of the science, but long-story a bit shorter: CRTC2 is believed to be a part of the body's means of preventing hypoglycemia when we fast. It served the evolutionary purpose of preventing our ancestors from collapsing when they couldn't find food for a few days, tapping any fat reserves in their bodies for energy while they continue their hunting/gathering efforts.

CRTC2 is only *supposed* to get triggered when blood sugar is low, but rodent studies have shown that the "on switch" for this co-factor can get stuck in the ON position in diabetic mice. What this means is that, when these hyperglycemic mice are fasted, their blood sugars remain high for quite some time. Sound familiar? It's because, even though they aren't eating carbs, their livers are in overdrive converting fats and proteins into carbs.This is the best explanation for my experience in fasting to date.

Although CRTC2 is technically a good thing, having it switched ON when I don't need it is frustrating and presents a challenge: it constantly pushes my blood sugar over 200, requiring me to use insulin to bring it back down to a safer range (Dr. Fung, a nephrologist, says kidney damage begins at about 170+). However, insulin itself is the cause of insulin resistance-- so taking insulin sets me back in my attempts to reverse it.

**My Protocol for Insulin Use While Fasting**

Following Dr. Fung's protocol for insulin-using T2 diabetics, I take just enough Humalog to target a 130-170 mg/dL range 2 hours after a bolus (when it's at its peak action), and I have to carefully estimate the effectiveness of the insulin. I track each bolus and the followup meter reading in a spreadsheet, and have it calculate a ratio of mg/dL reduction divided by the number of units in the bolus. That first morning when I woke up with a 315 BG, I took 100 units. Two hours later, I was at 221, meaning I saw a ratio of 0.9 mg/dL to 1 unit of insulin. I followed that up with another 75 unit bolus and only got down to 186 for a 0.7:1 ratio. That's RESISTANT! Later that day, I took an additional bolus of 25 units which ended up at a 2.6:1 ratio (I'm usually more sensitive in the afternoons), so at least there was some progress!

The next morning, I had a BG of 245, and I took 50 units (I have a lot of experience with sensitivity increasing rapidly during fasting, so I wanted to be conservative). My 2 hour reading was 198, so I still had a 0.9:1 sensitivity. I took an additional 30 units, which ended up putting me in the target range at a sensitivity of 2.8:1

Monday (the day I did that research) through Wednesday produced the following results: Mon: AM BG 232, Bolus 15, sensitivity 4.6:1 Tue: AM BG 230, Bolus 15, sensitivity 2.2:1 Wed: AM BG 199, no bolus.

I chose not to take insulin on Wednesday, believing from experience that the AM BG would soon slide down on its own, and I was right.

I broke my fast Wednesday evening and continued eating largely keto through Saturday night. My numbers through today: Sun: AM BG 283, Bolus 15, sensitivity 5.5:1 Mon: AM BG 211, Bolus 10, sensitivity (not calculated, because I missed doing my 2 hour follow-up reading). Tue: AM BG 205, Bolus 5, sensitivity 2.0:1

**Re-Considered Assumptions**

Okay, so, here's the thing-- what I'm reading as "sensitivity" based on the ratio of blood glucose reduction to units in the bolus could be based on the faulty assumption that the liver isn't producing carbs. The latter reading could be elevated by the gluconeogensis. I'm okay with that. It's obvious that these extended fasts are improving my insulin sensitivity. I have also been losing weight. After 11 days of fasting, I'm down 10.6 lbs. I know that some of that is water-weight only, but estimating my metabolic rate and calories consumed, I believe I've lost an actual 5.8 lbs.

The coolest part is that the CRTC2 being stuck in the ON position means I'll be able to lose weight faster, because my liver is in "gluconeogenesis overdrive" converting fat in the body into sugars. Yes, it's a nuisance for blood sugar control, but it's also a blessing for weight loss. In particular, the liver prefers to access intraorgan fats first, especially the liver itself. Reducing my liver fat will reduce my inflammation levels in my system. Reducing pancreatic fat helps to re-enable the beta-cells to produce their own insulin. That's what's at the heart of reversing Type 2 diabetes. (Note: I used to do "fat fasting" where I'd consume up to a few hundred calories a day of pure fats while 'fasting.' Now I understand this is just slowing down my liver's breakdown of existing fat stores.)

**Interventions Suggested by Research**

Additional research has shown that weight loss is the #1 way to fix the CTRC2 switch. Of course, this is difficult while taking insulin.

Other than that, eating a diet high in fermentable oligosaccharides and glycans also helps. This is where I may vary from my keto routine. I'm willing to get some carbs in my diet (when I'm eating) if they are in the form of high-fiber foods. I've never understood before why oatmeal seems to help some diabetics, given it's a high-ish carb food, but apparently the fermentable soluble fiber in oatmeal is the reason. The research also indicates dark, leafy greens to be very effective.

Also, it's important to get sufficient protein, even while fasting, so bone-broth is a recommended fasting-aid for people with a CTRC2 problem. I can theoretically consume up to 80g/day of protein without it affecting my blood sugar. Bone broth is mostly collagen protein, and isn't as insulinogenic as things like whey protein isolate.

Finally, the research indicates that exercise is far more important for diabetics with CTRC2 issues than for others. In fact, it may be the most effective intervention of all.

***DISCLAIMER: The above is based on my personal experiences and understanding of the research and is not intended to be medical advise to anyone. Those who are interested in doing something similar should do their own research and discuss it with their doctor.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:34 pm

Thanks for the supportive words, Team $$. I'll keep truckin'. :-) Emotions change, I have good days and bad days. The bad times never last. New waves of emotion are always right around the corner.

Thanks for sharing that woman's journey, Soprano.
Soprano - for me, my blood sugars will sometimes ride high all night long (130's) and then finally drop in the morning, so even though 116 was high yesterday, it was actually lower than when I was asleep. I just mention this because although we all know about the Dawn Phenomenon now (well, not everybody, but certainly people interested in blood glucose metabolism), it's good to note that everyone is different. I personally don't have a spike in the morning at all. On normal days, I ride steady all night and drop slightly when I jump out of bed. Like today, I was 104 all night and then down to 94 within minutes of getting up.
Also - the coffee blood glucose rise is generally mild for most people, and typically non-existent for me. Yesterday I had decaf, which is not associated with the increase at all. For me, clearly stress has been making my metabolism wonky + horrible eating.
Also, reading that woman's testimonial reminds me to be grateful that I don't actually have type II diabetes, as much as I fret about my blood glucose.
Oh, and one other thing - I doubt I have the mutation she has, or I might actually have diabetes already. But I do think my liver is exceptionally good at gluconeogenesis. :-) I come from a line of ancestors that can handle the no-food thing for a long time. LOL. And not eating or very low carb definitely makes my blood glucose increase. So my liver is always ready to go to town making glucose. I find that eating protein stimulates a nice insulin release that lowers my sugars nicely and then holds them steady. Carbs, on the other hand, don't have that nice effect. With them, I just go high and then crash low. Anyway, we're all different. Too bad not everybody wears a glucose monitor. In 10 (20?) more years, I predict everyone will have easy access to continuous glucose monitoring, similar to a fitbit.

Wednesday, February 19

Sleep Score: 84
Resting HR: 70

ZivaMeditation
AM - check 5:30am
PM - check 3:30pm in the car on the way home from teaching. Yet another example of how I felt the need to get home right away (Challenger is sick) but knew that the 15 min spent meditating would help for the rest of the day.

Eating
L: yogurt w/berries, walnuts, macadamias - eaten early - 10:30am Glucose only went to 115mg/dL after this meal, so nice glucose day.
decaf coffee w/cream after work
D: early dinner (4:45) - ground beef in bone broth with cheese and an entire avocado -- it's been an EXCELLENT glucose day. Never over 115mg/dL and that was actually lower than yogurt normally sends me. Oh, wait though - I am going to have a cutie for a little more vitamin C. We'll see what happens with that. I'm at 93mg/dL a little over an hour after eating dinner. That cutie will not hit my bloodstream for a couple hours, possibly.
(will be) decaf coffee w/cream

Off to puppy class with Flowerpup - let's hope I cope better this evening. (my reaction) to last week was.... a little extreme. :roll: I just went and looked back at that entry. I realized that up until that day I was making very positive progress in getting back on track with eating and calming my anxiety levels. Then I freaked out at puppy class and that really set me back. Hopefully the upward trend will bounce back quickly. I think my mental health is just super fragile right now. Baby steps.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:00 pm

Thursday, Feb 20

FBG: 94mg/dL
Sleep Score: 90

ZivaMeditation
AM - check - 6:10am - I overslept a little, and had to take out Flowerpup before I could meditate. But luckily she was relatively calm in the living room and I was able to do that right after letting her out. I felt pretty distracted this morning.

Eating
B: coffee w/cream, 2 hard-boiled eggs, 1 cutie
L: yogurt w/berries, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, macadamia nuts
D: ham w/avocado slices
decaf coffee w/cream

Moving
Yesterday I managed the top part of a handstand pushup. :-) My bridge is also improving (slowly). Mostly I still look like a table top due to poor shoulder mobility and tight thoracic vertebrae. But I'm workin' it.
--got out for a walk/jog with HappyHerder
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:35 pm

Friday, February 21

Weight: 119.0lbs
Sleep Score: 88 and now my fitbit has something additional - an estimated oxygen variation. Mine seems pretty average looking but I don't know much about this readout yet. I actually wore an oxymeter for a few night (from my dentist) to check (loosely) on sleep apnea - since I gring my teeth a lot (apparently grinding and apnea occur together for many people). All looked good on that.

ZivaMeditation - Day 24
PM - check 3:45pm (in the car - I'm noticing a theme)

Eating
L: yogurt w/berries, walnuts, pumpkin seeds
D: curry beef (date night), 1 cutie
decaf coffee w/cream, sugar free chocolate - resisted chocolate chip cookies that were tempting to me. I consider this a victory.

Moving
Mobility - check
Bodyweight - check
Walk/Jog - nope, but I got decent steps today for once.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:48 pm

Saturday, February 22

Weight: 119.0

ZivaMeditation
AM - check, although I didn't finish the manifesting part at the end. I woke up a little too late and had to let the pup out ASAP
PM - check

Eating
L: yogurt w/berries, walnuts & pumpkin seeds
D: ham & avocado slices
decaf w/cream
desssert: dark chocolate

Moving
Mobility - check
Shoulder work - check
Bodyweight - check
Walk/Jog - check

I had a lovely day. There were many special moments. Laughter with the kids, pets, and even a short visit with a friend. But my favorite part of the day was the long walk/jog I took with HappyHerder. Peace.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:33 pm

Sunday, February 23

FBG: 90mg/dL :-)
Resting HR: 72bpm

ZivaMeditation
AM - check 4:45am
PM - check 4:45pm

Eating
B: coffee cw/ream, cutie, 2 hard-boiled eggs
D: chicken tortilla soup w/ cheese and avocado slices (I have to add chicken to it because the soup is pathetically lacking in actual chicken)
dessert: dark chocolate
decaf coffee w/cream

Moving
Maybe this is overly-ambitious, but I'm trying to get 15K today. Yesterday I got 19K, and I'd like to be similarly moving today. It takes about 1.5hours of planned walk/jogging to get this in. Update - got 18.5k. Not bad.
Mobility - check
Working a new program called the "hunchback fix". :lol:
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

stickwithit

Post by stickwithit » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:06 pm

Good luck with the 15k! Love how much mobility and exercise overall you are doing.
Progress comes with plateaus, frustrations, setbacks and lack of motivation at times.
Failure comes from quitting during those times.
- Adam Gilbert

Eat to 80 percent full.

alene1

Post by alene1 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:57 pm

Auto, your FBG has been great lately! You must be so please. Awesome steps as well. You really seem to be getting back in your flow again. :)

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:41 pm

Thanks Sticky! I ended up with 18.5K, which I was very happy with. And lots of other movement, too, as I'm working on sitting less throughout the day and incorporating a slew of new mobility exercises and some upper back work.

Alene, yes my blood sugars have been better than ever in my recorded history (~7 years, although only in the past few have I been testing regularly). My fasting blood glucose isn't that much different, but where I've seen the shift is in my postprandials. Supposedly those are more predictive of future health problems, anyway, so I'm thrilled. The yogurt meal that was giving me some slightly higher values than I was comfortable with (in October) I have been having great numbers with recently. I'm actually a little confused, because I'm not doing anything differently. Indeed, I've been exercising less, stressing more, and eating worse..... ? The only addition has been meditating, which is woo-woo to say that could lower my blood sugar? Seriously? But my sleep has also been better than ever since I started meditating. Maybe there's really something to do this meditation stuff.

Monday, February 24

Weight: 119.2lbs
FBG: 100mg/dL
Sleep Score: 91 (the deep sleep is the parameter I watch most closely - 1hr 45 min)

ZivaMeditation
PM - check 12:45pm - a little earlier than normal but I'm glad I took the opportunity when it was there.

Eating
B: coffee w/cream, a cutie, 2 hard-boiled eggs
L: yogurt w/berries, walnuts, pumpkin seeds
D: chicken coconut lime bone broth soup w/avocado and cheese, 1 cutie
decaf coffee w/cream and 95% dark chocolate

Moving
Mobility - check
Hunchback fix - check
walk/jog - check
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:51 pm

Tuesday, February 25

Weight: 119.2lbs
FBG: 99mg/dL
Sleep Score: 84 (1 hour 18 min deep sleep)

ZivaMeditation
PM - check 3:45pm

Eating
decaf coffee w/cream if I feel like it
D: I made a fun bowl with chicken tortilla soup (from Costco) as the base, then added leftover ham, chicken, and the ground beef I had cooked up for the kids' spaghetti. Then added the obligate avocado and called it a dinner. Yum.
1 sugar-free chocolate

Moving
Mobility - check
Humpback Fix - check
Walk/jog - check

Feeling good again. Life finding its new normal with Flowerpup.
Meditation is life-changing for me. A non-negotiable 2X/day for me. Just as advertised (haha), it's a time investment rather than a time expenditure.

I'm falling asleep fast, staying asleep, sleeping deeper.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

alene1

Post by alene1 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:07 pm

Hi Auto. So great to hear your update! What is the time commitment for your meditation? What do you use for a sleep tracker?

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:11 pm

Good morning Alene! Ziva Meditation takes 17 minutes 2X/day. The first couple minutes I do deep breathing and focus on my sounds, smells, etc. (mindfulnessness), then ease into my mantra (I use the word "peace" or sometimes "clear") until 15 min are up. I don't use a timer. I just check my watch if I wonder where I'm at. I don't say the mantra out loud; it's just meant to be a quiet echo in my head that I return to each time I start going on a thought field trip. :-) It's extremely gentle, and doesn't feel like work at all. The last 2 minutes I give thanks for various things in my life, then manifest by imagining the feelings I would have if something I really want were true. I've found this the most difficult/intriguing part of the meditation. I mostly have had to pare it down to simple visions - such as walking without a slump, or watching my dogs eat from dog bowls side by side without tension/aggression, and more recently I've been enjoying imagining feeling in charge of my day - not stressed out, enjoying my students, children, pets.

I do the first one as soon as I wake up in the morning. I do the second sometime in the afternoon, often in the car after dropping off a kid or before picking one up (this also works well because Flowerpup is usually sleeping in the car).

The theory of the writer of ZivaMeditation (Emily Fletcher) is that mindfulness helps us come to our senses and deal with stress in the now, but meditation helps to remove built up stress from the past. 2X/day means you can get through the backlog of years of stress. LOL - she says it could be 7-10 years before you've gotten through the backlog. haha.

Wednesday, February 26

ZivaMeditation
AM - check 5:35am
PM - check 3:25pm

Weight: 119.2
FBG: 95mg/dL
Sleep Score: 86 - I use my Fitbit for sleep tracking. :-) Also for my resting HR.

Eating
decaf coffee w/cream
D: ham, salad
decaf coffee w/cream

Moving
Mobility - check
Hunchback Fix - check
walk/jog - check
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:14 pm

Thursday, February 27

Weight: 119.4lbs

ZivaMeditation
PM - check 6:45pm

I had a funny experience during my afternoon meditation. I use this method in which I politely tell my voices that I appreciate their contribution, but I have to attend to my guest of honor, my mantra, during my meditation. :-) Well, I have a lot of voices!! Tonight there was the uptight worked up afraid she pissed people off Auto; the excited, bouncy, and enthusiastic teacher idea Auto; the hunched and guilty sad momma Auto; and the organized, practical to-do list Auto. Each one of them was gently excused, although the uptight one was the hardest to pacify. I had to get her set up with a blanket, a quick-read novel, and then have someone massage her shoulders. :lol:

Eating
L: yogurt w/berries, pumpkin seeds
D: chicken and saurkraut in bone broth with avocado
decaf coffee w/cream

Moving
Mobility - check
walk/jog - check 15K steps
hunchback fix - check
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:52 pm

Friday, February 28

Weight: 119.8lbs

ZivaMeditation
PM - check 6:30pm in the car before Challenger's Basketball game

Eating
L: yogurt w/berries, pumpkin seeds
decaf coffee w/cream
D: tortilla soup base with a bunch of added chicken, shredded cheese, and avocado
decaf coffee w/cream

Moving
Mobility - check
Hunchback Fix - check
Bodyweight Work - check - I did more squats and pushups than normal.
Walk/Jog - check but VERY short - 15 min before Challenger's basketball game started
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:58 pm

Saturday, February 29

Weight: 120.2
FBG: 93mg/dL
Sleep Score: 84 (very good considering I didn't get to bed until late so didn't even get 7 hours of sleep....)

My weight has climbed a little bit each day this week. A very atypical phenomenon for me while eating well and exercising. My take on it is this: When I had my anxiety attack, I lost 5 pounds (down to 112) - probably much of it muscle. Then I gained 7 pounds during my month of crazy eating (up to 119) - probably almost all fat. Now I'm gaining back a little muscle but haven't yet lost the fat. So things could get worse before they get better as I do my best to return my body composition to a healthy place.
I'm eating well and finally exercising again, so I'm going to sit tight and see how things settle over the next couple of weeks.

ZivaMeditation
AM - check 5:45am
PM - check 6:30pm

Eating
L: yogurt w/berries, 1 decaf coffee w/cream
D: 2 eggs & 4 pieces of bacon

Moving - 18k steps
Morning Mobility - check
Walk/Jog - check
Hunchback Fix - check
Bodyweight Work - check
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:26 pm

Sunday, March 1

Stats
FBG: 92mg/dL
Sleep Score: 92 (2 hours deep sleep)
Resting HR: 71bpm

ZivaMeditation
AM - check 4:45am (went back to sleep after)
PM - check 2:00pm

Eating
L: yogurt w/berries and macadamia nuts
D: piece of white fish, 1 cutie
decaf coffee w/cream

Moving - 16k steps
Mobility - check
Hunchback Fix - check
Walk/Jog - check
Bodyweight - check
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:34 pm

Monday, March 2

Weight: 118.4 lbs
FBG: 98mg/dL
Sleep Score: 84
Mid-Morning BP: 114/67 - just for fun, I took it after doing some pushups - I was breathing hard and expected it to be higher. But it only was 119/67. Interesting.

ZivaMeditation
AM - check 6am - interrupted by dogs. Flowerpup threw up early this morning and so Creator and I both ended up earlier than we wanted. Still fit in the meditation
PM - fit it in about 8pm, but it was somewhat interrupted.

Eating
B: coffee w/cream, 1 cutie, 2 fried eggs (that Creator made for me!)
L: yogurt w/berries, macadamia nuts
decaf coffee w/cream
D: bone broth with tuna fish, cheese, and avocado
decaf coffee w/cream

Moving
Mobility - check
Hunchback Fix - check
Bodyweight - check
Walk/Jog - nope.

Weird day. I got my to-do list accomplished but struggled with a general feeling of dread that I couldn't really pinpoint any reasonable cause for. Creator stayed home sick (stomachache) and so once again I had no Monday. Monday is supposed to be my work from home day, and it seems like every Monday it's either a holiday or a kid is sick or I have a work meeting I have to go in for. So I think I'm feeling a bit resentful to not get any time alone. It was a long weekend - driving hours Friday night, Saturday, and again on Sunday for Challenger's basketball. I think I'm suffering from feeling like I didn't have a weekend and facing a (typically) busy week.
Also, this morning's meditation was crap, and it's almost 8pm and I still haven't got it done. I could continue complaining but I'm too pissed at the moment to even keep writing.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:35 pm

Tuesday, March 3

Weight: 118.2 lbs
Sleep Score: 89 (1 hour 23 min deep sleep)
Resting HR: 71bpm
Morning BP: 114/65

ZivaMeditation
AM - check, started at 4:50am, but then fell asleep so I started again at 5:45am
PM - check, 2:30pm

Eating
decaf coffee w/cream
D: ground beef in bone broth, cheddar cheese and avocado

Moving
Mobility - check
Hunchback Fix - check
Walk/Jog - nope
Bodyweight - check
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:46 pm

Wednesday, March 4

Weight: 118.4 lbs
FBG: 99mg/dL
Sleep Score: 83
Resting HR: 72 bpm

ZivaMeditation
PM - check 4:45pm

Eating
D: ground beef, bone broth, cheese, avocado
decaf coffee w/cream

Moving
Mobility - check
Hunchback Fix - check
Bodyweight - nope, well - a little bit here and there
Walk/Jog - check
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:08 pm

Thursday, March 5

Weight: 119.2 lbs
FBG: 98mg/dL
Sleep Score: 89 (2 hours deep sleep!)

ZivaMeditation
PM - check 2:10pm

Eating
D: decaf coffee w/cream, a string cheese

Moving
Walk/Jog: sort of - 2 jogs around the block with the pups, but that was probably only 10 min.
Mobility: check
Bodyweights: check
Hunchback Fix: check
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

stickwithit

Post by stickwithit » Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:38 am

I just read your entry for Monday about feeling a bit resentful to not get any time alone.

I hear you. I know exactly how you feel, what with staying at home with a toddler. Thank God she is taking midday naps almost every day. But when she is falling asleep in the stroller while we are on our way home, I prepare lunch and eat when we get home while she is still sleeping and then she sometimes is already waking up again. Usually I try to have her stay awake until we have finished lunch so I get some time to rest, too, not just eating my lunch in peace and quiet (which is sometimes very nice as well) and then having to get back to "work" right away.
Progress comes with plateaus, frustrations, setbacks and lack of motivation at times.
Failure comes from quitting during those times.
- Adam Gilbert

Eat to 80 percent full.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:51 pm

Hey there - Sticky, raising kids is tough. You know, as I think back on my life.... I never had that suffocated - "leave me alone!!" feeling EVER before kids. And now, since kids, it's just a part of life. And sadly, I still have that sort of feeling with my 14 year old (Challenger)! He doesn't really like to interact with me a lot anymore, but he still has plenty of demands - for $, transportation, and food. :wink: And he isn't exactly sweet in how he asks, so sometimes in my head I'm imagining shipping him off to boarding school.
My 10 year old (Creator) is cuddly and sweet and very interactive and pretty much always with me whereever I am in the house. He somehow knows when I get up and generally gets up whenever I do. So even though I don't have to change his diapers or get him dressed anymore, I still feel suffocated sometimes.
Many times on this forum I've commented that ... temperamentally, I wasn't the best fit for motherhood. I certainly have done my best, but I am an intellectual and I like to live in my head. Raising kids is so hands-on. Always hands-on. Very much outside of my wheelhouse. I love my children with a painful intensity that sometimes overwhelms me with its strength, but it is often followed by waves of guilt for the errors I make as a parent.

Friday!!! March 6

Weight: 119.0
Sleep Score: 91 (1 hour 40 min deep)
Resting HR: 69bpm (where did that come from?)

ZivaMeditation
AM - check 5:40am
PM - check 3:25pm

Eating
B: coffee w/cream, 1 cutie, 2 eggs
D: date night - filet mignon w/asparagus, mushrooms, and salad
decaf coffee w/cream

Moving
Walk/Jog - yes, over 16k steps
Bodyweight - yes
Mobility - yes
Hunchback fix - yes
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

alene1

Post by alene1 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:54 pm

Happy weekend Auto! How are the pups doing?

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:05 pm

Hi Alene! Thanks for asking about the pups! They are doing great! Flowerpup got her final vaccinations Monday, and so yesterday I took them for their first woodsy hike together. I have these long black leads that I let them drag, so if we see anyone I can quickly stop them. They had a blast.
Flowerpup is 24 pounds now and 16 weeks old.
HappyHerder and Flowerpup get along great. They really always have - that bite from HappyHerder was so out of character and I'm still not sure what "doggy" language transpired in that moment that caused HH to flip into monster mode. It's almost like he just didn't realize how gentle a correction with a puppy needed to be to get the pup to listen. Since then, on rare occasions he'll snarl and that's plenty to get Flowerpup to realize she needs to back off from whatever obnoxiousness she is doing. Ha.
Walking them together is definitely not easy, though. I'm looking at it as a form of mindfulness. I have to be fully focused, so I have to remain in the present or chaos will erupt. :-)

Saturday, March 7

Sleep Score: 91 (average score for the week - 88 - my highest week since starting sleep scores in Sept)

ZivaMeditation
AM - check 6:20am
PM - check 9 - 10pm without great success..... had an anxiety attack last night when I discovered Flowerpup has worms.

Eating
B: coffee w/cream, 1 cutie, 2 eggs
L: ground beef bone broth bowl w/cheddar and avocado, diet coke
D: 1 cutie, some dark chocolate
decaf coffee w/cream

Moving
Walk/jog on the dike today - Creator has 3 basketball games so I'm bringing Flowerpup and we'll walk a bit before the game and then I'll crate her. This is not a walk I get to do that often, and rarely with a dog, so I'm looking forward to it.
Mobility -
Bodyweight -
Hunchback Fix - check
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:32 pm

Sunday, March 8

ZivaMeditation
AM - check 7am
PM - check 5:30pm

Eating
B: coffee w/cream, bacon, 1 cutie
D: decaf coffee w/cream, 1 cutie
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:43 pm

Monday, March 9

Weight: 118.8
Sleep Score: 86

ZivaMeditation
AM - check 6am
PM - check 1pm

Eating
B: coffee w/cream, (will be) 1 cutie & 2 eggs
L: ground beef in bone broth, cheddar and avocado
D:
(will be) decaf coffee w/cream

Moving
Hunchback Fix - check
Mobility - check
Bodyweights -
Walk/Jog - check
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:51 pm

So glad the pups are doing well! I can remember a lot more corrections from tikka (our big dog) towards tessa in the beginning and now it’s quite rare. Funnily they are the same age but tessa is a bit socially awkward with other dogs meaning she’s not good at reading them. I walk both of them with retractable leashes which work pretty well but I imagine walking with a puppy would be challenging!
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

Sammybunny711

Post by Sammybunny711 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:46 pm

I really like the format of your update. I may do something similar. You're an inspiration!
Height: 5'4"
Highest weight: 210.4
Current Weight: 191.8 (-18.6 lbs)
Goal Weight: 125-135

*^..^711

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:31 pm

Linda - the 2 dogs together are really a lot of fun now! They play so much! My anxiety is finally settling down.

Sammy - thank you!

Wednesday, March 11

119.4 pounds

ZivaMeditation
AM - check 6:15am
PM -

Eating
B: coffee w/cream
L: cutie, 2 hard-boiled eggs
D: yogurt, berries
decaf coffee w/cream

I'm feeling very tired and worn out this morning. I'm frustrated by that because my sleep was fine/quite good, actually. Our community now has cases of COVID-19 and our college has gone online for the remainder of the quarter. Yesterday was insane. The faculty had just a few hours to pack up our offices before the campus was locked down for deep cleaning for the rest of the week. I realized this morning that I didn't post yesterday. I also didn't do any of my normal routines. And didn't even notice any of these oversights. Some days I just don't have it in me to do what should be done.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

Sammybunny711

Post by Sammybunny711 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:44 pm

Be kind to yourself today. Practice good self care. Get some rest!! And stay safe! This virus is no joke.

*^..^711

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:53 pm

Hope you feel better soon auto. The last few weeks have been stressful, it's bound to catch up with you.

Take it easy

Jx

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:45 am

Been thinking about you as I was pretty sure you lived in the NW. I’ve got friends in Washington and it sounds very stressful. Hoping you can get into a new routine that works for you till this passes. 💙

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:47 pm

Thanks everybody for the well wishes. No new cases so far today in Washington, so I'm optimistic we're topping out, which will be good news for other states. I feel sad for the small businesses that are being devastated by the moment, but everyone is stuck between a rock and a hard place making these decisions.

Thursday, March 12

118.2lbs

ZivaMeditation
AM - 6:15am
PM - 2:30pm

Eating
D: 1 cutie, ground beef w/bone broth, cheddar, and avocado
decaf coffee w/cream
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:49 am

Glad things seem to be stabilizing. Be happy you’re not on fb. It’s scaring the cr*p out of me. I don’t even want to leave the house or send my kids to school at this point. *Breathe*

One good suggestion I did see was to buy gift cards from small businesses to help keep them afloat and use the cards when things get back to normal.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:22 pm

The gift card idea is fantastic!!

School officially closed for my entire state until April 24th. We are going to have to get some serious routine going on in this house or my kids are going to drive me batty. And my husband and I are both trying to stake out our work spaces. He's using the desk that I bought for working from home. :/ I'm using the kitchen table, which is fine for general stuff under normal conditions, but now I have all my books for all classes here. So if I can get a little bookcase that would probably give me a way to quickly clean up.

Friday, March 13

118.2 lbs
FBG: 96mg/dL
Sleep Score: 74 (not good sleep last night)

ZivaMeditation
AM - check 11:00am
PM - check 9pm

Eating
L: chicken breast in bone broth
D: yogurt w/berries
decaf coffee w/cream
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

Sammybunny711

Post by Sammybunny711 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:31 pm

Yiiiiikes. That is a crazy long time. Hopefully all of the closures across the nation will help slow the spread of the virus, though. Good luck to you!

*^..^711

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:11 pm

What a strange Saturday. No basketball games. No piano activities. No birthday parties. No play practices. No playdates. No fundraisers. Sexy can't go to the office. .......

So. Sexy and I have decided we are doing a deep clean of the house this weekend. Boys will get their rooms all organized, cleaned, and with a place for their online work. Our downstairs has a living room and kitchen - all one room - and the upstairs is the just the 3 bedrooms. So Sexy has a workspace set up in our bedroom, and the boys (will) in theirs. But I have to use the kitchen area. So I need to get a little bookcase because I have literally all my books and materials for all my classes at home. I've already moved the cat tree and need to find a new place for Creator's art bins. I'm taking over.

Saturday, March 14

118.2 pounds
Sleep Score: 92 (2 hours deep sleep)
Resting HR: 73bpm

ZivaMeditation
AM - check 11:30am
PM - check 2:30pm (with interruptions)

Eating
L: fried fish, 1 cutie, decaf coffee w/cream
D: a few squares of dark chocolate and a cup of popcorn

Moving
Mobility - check, did these with Challenger. :-)
Bodyweight Exercises: push-ups/pull-ups/squats/handstand/broad jump/bridge
Hunchback Fix - check
Dogs: Plan moving forward is 1 walk every day with dogs together. This one is short and just to practice this. Then one walk with HappyHerder, and one with Flowerpup, although hers might just be walking around outside a store or spending a few minutes at a park where there's a lot going on. She's on the shy side, but we're working it. I finally found a trainer I like. He's not too far away, and has a great facility with 5 fenced acres and all kinds of fun stuff to work on with the dogs outside. Then he has two buildings that he has designed like people's living rooms to simulate a home enironment. :-) It's pretty cool. So, dog training is going to be my hobby for the next 6 weeks. LOL.
Update - good walk/jogs. At about 18k steps
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

alene1

Post by alene1 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:23 pm

Auto, sounds like a great plan to focus on dog training during this time! You'll be getting in lots of steps too. I'm glad you are getting your work spaces sorted and organized. We need to create a routine and structure for ourselves during this time. At least I do! I do so much better with a routine. Maybe this time together at home will be really nice for your family bonding.

Sammybunny711

Post by Sammybunny711 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:16 pm

You're got a plan, Auto! That's awesome.

*^..^711

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:25 pm

Thanks Sammy and Alene! I do feel more settled with my routine planned out...

Sunday, March 15, 2020

118.2 lbs
FBG: 96mg/dL
Sleep Score: 77
Resting HR: 74 bpm

ZivaMeditation
AM - 5:40am
PM - 5:45pm

Eating
L: leftover fried fish, 1 cutie, some dark chocolate, a diet coke
D: beef burrito (1/2 of it) with some rice & beans, some tortilla chips w/salsa
4 girl scout cookies, a small piece of marionberry pie
My blood glucose was definitely wonky this afternoon, with all the indulgences, but never technically high, so that was a nice relief.

Moving
Mobility - check
Walk/Jog - check, completed walk with both dogs together, and then each individually. 15k steps
Bodyweight - yes, fun times making silly videos - coronavirus defense moves....!
Hunchback Fix -
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

Sammybunny711

Post by Sammybunny711 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:09 pm

Mmm. Dark chocolate.

*^..^711

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:44 pm

Monday, March 16

FBG: 100mg/dL (but at times during the night, significantly higher, no doubt from the delicious Mexican food I ate)

ZivaMeditation
PM -

Eating
L: 1 blueberry donut (fail!), yogurt w/berries
D: (will have) chicken thighs
(will have) decaf coffee w/cream

Moving
dogs together - check 3k steps
Flowerpup - check 3k steps
HappyHerder - check 8k steps
Bodyweights (I joke to my friends that during my social isolation I'll be getting ripped with prison calisthenics)
Hunchback Fix -

Today would have been my final exams, so I just have a bunch of grading to finish and then get my final grades entered in the next day or two. Then technically it's spring break anyway! I normally work through the whole blasted spring break, so everything feels strange. Honestly, I feel like I'm getting some forced down-time that my soul badly needed. I'm going to "borrow" a document camera from one of my classrooms once the college allows faculty back on campus to gather more supplies. My Dean did give me permission to do this. Then I can do live notes during video conferences on Canvas next quarter. I'm optimistic that I'll only have 3 full weeks online and then we'll be back in business by April 27th. We'll see.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

Sammybunny711

Post by Sammybunny711 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:22 pm

What is FBG: 100mg/dL? Is it blood glucose?

This virus and the closures are unreal. It feels like we're living in a movie or something. I needed to go to the store today and I felt bad because I know how important social distancing is right now.

*^..^711

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:28 pm

Yes, 100mg/dL is a blood glucose reading.

Tuesday, March 17

Eating
B: coffee, cutie, eggs
L: bacon, chicken thighs
D: chicken thighs in bone broth, avocado

Another strange day. Had to get the internet upgraded; needed a new modem; had to do work conferences online; tinked with a document camera. Everything is not normal, which I think is mentally tiring. Exercised, but not as much as I'd thought I would. Meditated, but my mind was whirling.

Wednesday, March 18

ZivaMeditation
PM - check 5:15pm

Eating
D: last of the chicken thighs/bone broth, avocado

Moving
Dogs Together - check
FP alone - check
HH alone - check
Bodyweight -
Mobility -
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:22 pm

Thursday, March 19

ZivaMeditation
AM - check 11:35am
PM - check 3pm

Eating
L: Nutter Butter (fail...), yogurt w/berries
D: last of the chicken thighs w/avocado and cheese, 1 cutie
decaf coffee w/cream, dark chocolate

Moving
FP - Petco and the beach
HH - nope
Bodyweights -
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:56 am

Friday, March 20

119.2lbs
Sleep Score: 78 (just not long enough; I woke up at 4:30am with my mind going fast)

ZivaMeditation
AM - 5:15am
PM -

Eating
D: cutie, bone broth with tuna fish, cheese and avocado
dark chocolate and decaf coffee w/cream

Moving
Dogs Together - check
FP - check (took her and Creator to the river)
HH - check (took him to dog training class)
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:26 pm

Saturday, March 21

119.8lbs

ZivaMeditation
AM - 5:30am
PM - noon

Eating
D: a couple Dino nuggets, a brownie, 2 pieces of pizza :roll:

Moving
Dogs together - check
HH alone - nope
FP alone - check
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:00 am

Sunday, March 22

ZivaMeditation
AM - 4:45am - I've been waking up about 4 for several mornings; I think it's a clear indicator that I am a bit physically stressed by all that's going on with the world. That said, I don't feel anxious during the day (like I did with Flowerpup, for example).
PM - 3pm

Eating
L: yogurt w/berries, 1 nutter butter (oops)
D: salmon and a cutie
decaf coffee w/cream

So not fully on or off the eating rails right now. Hanging on as this cart teeters and takes tight turns.

Moving
Dogs - check
Mobility -
Bodyweight -

I'm echoing myself and others but my soul is thirsty for this time without outside obligations. I'm not someone that overschedules myself on purpose, but the kids are just so involved with everything. That's what pushes me too much. Not having to drive kids places every single night of the week is like a soothing balm upon my psyche. And what really makes this "break/quarantine" different is that I know this will be the case for months to come. That longer stretch of no sports and school is what allows me to relax into the break, rather than frantically fear the last day without having to drive them places. I know that it will take weeks or months before I begin to truly shed this stress I carry.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:06 am

So true about this being different. I keep catching myself bracing for the weekday madness and then I’m like oh yeah I don't have to be anywhere for the next well who knows. It’s such an odd feeling to be so frightened about what’s happening on the one hand and so grateful for some of the side effects on the other.

Sammybunny711

Post by Sammybunny711 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:12 pm

I am sad for the reasons we are all on this 'hiatus' of sorts, but at the same time, I think so many people need the very real break in the daily grind that has been their reality for so long. I hope that this time teaches us to cultivate stillness and balance in our lives and not overrunning ourselves into the ground on a daily basis. 90% of us are just TOO BUSY all the time. It's good to step back and reassess, even if it's for sad reasons.

*^..^711

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:46 pm

The feelings we are all having are so complex. Fear, relief, gratitude, anger, sadness, disgust. Possibly every emotion? The complexity is overwhelming. Last night I didn't sleep well and my mind just kept turning.
Today might need to be another "break" day for my online planning work. I'm not feeling it this morning and sometimes the overwhelm of everything going on just blocks my ability to be productive.

120.6lbs
Sleep Score: 87 - wow, that is good considering that I felt like I was awake a lot last night!

ZivaMeditation
AM - 5:45am
PM - 5pm

Eating
L: salmon filet

Moving
FP - check
bodyweight - check
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:40 pm

Tuesday, March 24

Sleep Score: 92

ZivaMeditation
AM - 5:45am
PM - 3:45pm

Eating
B: coffee w/milk so far, dark chocolate... ?! 1 cutie
D: steak and avocado

Moving
Walked FP and HH together this morning. FP barks at strange people/dogs. She's scared. HH whines at people and dogs because he wants to say hello so much. Luckily, the training method I'm using is the same whether it's fear or overexcitement: food. LOL. So I just start sprinkling roast beef, cheese, hot dogs, etc. on the ground for them when we see another dog (or person for FP). The idea is to link the positive association of the (high value) food with seeing a trigger (fear trigger for FP, overexcitement for HH). It has been surprisingly effective with HH, although it took me a few walks to figure out that he needs REALLY good treats for this to work for him. FP I don't know. Some days she's good; other days (like this morning) she's afraid of everything.
For the most part, I think it's better for them to be walked separately. However, I think FP does gain confidence by seeing that HH is not afraid of anything. So since I think there are pros & cons to walking them together, I'm going to keep doing it, but try to go early enough in the morning that I avoid too many triggers. As you can imagine, handling them both while holding leashes is difficult. I did buy a dual hands-free leash but I like them to get to run a bit more than that, you know? It's tricky. Then continuing to take them both separately, too.
With the "stay home" order, ironically there are FAR more people and walkers outside than normal. Not crowded, by any means - I just was spoiled in the old pre-pandemic days when I often wouldn't see a soul on my morning walk. :-)
The dogs do a "stay on place" command now while I get my coffee ready in the morning. They stay there for 5 minutes! I do toss them treats once each minute, though. Now they are happily chewing their bully sticks and then FP will need to take a nap. I still try to crate her for a couple of hours a day so she doesn't lose her comfort with that. And she's actually crated at night, too, in Creator's room.
I'm sending both dogs to a board and train for 3 nights at the end of April. I hope we are still allowed to do that. Sexy and I were hoping to get away - now not sure if we will. But if allowed, we'll still board the dogs. It will be good for FP to have a boarding experience while she is still young.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:30 am

Hi auto!

I just wanted to pop in and say "Hi!" I have been on spring break too, trying to cultivate a new routine with all the kids at home and get my schoolwork done along with theirs. Not looking forward to the end of Spring break.

Glad to see you are still here, and I hope you are holding up all right.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:21 pm

Thank you Pinkie! These are crazy times. I feel like my family is so fortunate and we are faring well. Challenger is having the roughest time - he is 14 and his life is friends and sports, both of which he has to do without right now.

Wednesday, March 25

Resting HR: 68
Sleep Score: 79

ZivaMeditation
AM - check
PM - check

Eating
B: coffee w/milk, cutie
D: dark chocolate, decaf w/milk

Moving
Good walk w/dogs
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:23 pm

Thursday, March 26

Sleep Score: 86 (but not much deep sleep)

ZivaMeditation
AM -
PM -

Moving
Good walk w/dogs
Nightwalker planned
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:53 pm

automatedeating wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:21 pm
Thank you Pinkie! These are crazy times. I feel like my family is so fortunate and we are faring well. Challenger is having the roughest time - he is 14 and his life is friends and sports, both of which he has to do without right now.

Wednesday, March 25

Sleep Score: 79

ZivaMeditation
AM - check
PM - check

Eating
B: coffee w/milk, cutie
D: dark chocolate, decaf w/milk

Moving
Good walk w/dogs
Hi auto! I am glad your family is doing well. I feel the same as you about being fortunate. My husband still has to go to work, but it is a large room with only 5 other guys who all keep their distance and his company is one who take care of their employees. So.. fingers crossed.

My 16 year old misses her friends but she can communicate with them online so it's been mostly all right. Honestly without the stress of going out into the world and going to school, she seems to actually be doing better.

Does Challenger play any online video games? A friend of mine has a 14-year-old whose life is sports and friends also and his saving grace has been online gaming with his buddies.

alene1

Post by alene1 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:57 pm

Mom here. ;) Are you eating enough? It sounds like you're getting a lot of dog-training time in, which is a perk for this strange time. How is online teaching going? Are you on spring break right now?

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:07 pm

Pinkie - Challenger's 3rd life love is Fortnite so yes, he at least still has that. But he's shocked me by saying how much he misses physically being with his friends. But it's just that 2 of his 3 great loves are out the window right now. Get it? Out the window? :wink:

Alene - yes, I'm eating enough! I actually have been GAINING weight - I think too much coffee w/cream! LOL! I think both of the last two days (that I know might look funny written down) I was still at around 1200 calories (for me at 5'2'' and in my 40's that's actually all I need - not fair but true). I definitely eat meals according to my hunger, and I've never been one to deprive myself of food. Haha.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:08 am

automatedeating wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:07 pm
Pinkie - Challenger's 3rd life love is Fortnite so yes, he at least still has that. But he's shocked me by saying how much he misses physically being with his friends. But it's just that 2 of his 3 great loves are out the window right now. Get it? Out the window? :wink:

Alene - yes, I'm eating enough! I actually have been GAINING weight - I think too much coffee w/cream! LOL! I think both of the last two days (that I know might look funny written down) I was still at around 1200 calories (for me at 5'2'' and in my 40's that's actually all I need - not fair but true). I definitely eat meals according to my hunger, and I've never been one to deprive myself of food. Haha.
Hah yes! Fortnite is also my friends 14-year-olds life love. Too funny. I know what you mean about physically missing. The uncertainty is also hard. There are no answers right now to give our kids. At least he has you and your husband and his brother. I was actually reading some of your earlier check-ins and I am really in awe of everything you put into being the best parent you can be and it seems like you have a strong family foundation so I imagine it helps your kids during this stressful time.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:33 am

Ah thanks Pinkie. I have given parenting my best efforts, but as I often say on this journal - being a mommy is not my strong suit.

Friday!!

ZivaMeditation - I sucked at this today. How am I home more than ever and meditating less????? And having it seem harder... I think it's because I can't find a room where I'm left alone for 20 min.

Eating
L: yogurt w/berries, dark chocolate
D: burger and fries from "5 guys burgers & fries" - it was so exciting to have Sexy and Challenger bring home dinner.....
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2