Keep Calm and No S on

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:36 pm

WIDRT
-No Snacking!
-Late afternoon kettlebell class (even though I wanted to stay home and snack)
Habits are at first cobwebs, then cables.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:40 pm

Looks like No S is a good fit with my 12 week kettlebell challenge at my local place (I knew it would be).

I started the challenge at 144.6 lbs. Two weeks later, using No S, I'm at 141.6.

My goal is to shed 10 lbs in 12 weeks so I'm on schedule.

We have to fill out food logs 5 days a week. There are columns for calories/fat grams, etc. I'm ignoring all that, just focusing on my 3 plates a day.

And it's working just like I knew it would.
Last edited by LoriLifts on Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

jw

Post by jw » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:26 pm

Lori, I have some very old kettlebells that belonged to my grandfather (1930's probably) -- they look like cannonballs, are hollow, and have grips that screw in. He used to fill them with sand when he wanted a more intense workout.

I use them as floor vases for tall grasses and branches -- but every time I read your posts, I think I really out to find out what to do with them! Are there certain routines somewhere out there on the web?
"The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective." -- El Fug

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:34 am

Hi JW, 1930's kettlebells would be awesome!

Check out Tracy Reifkind's blog. She's a kettlebell instructor who lost a ton of weight. She has lots of videos and also a book called The Swing.

Thanks for stopping by!

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:08 pm

How's your kettlebell challenge going?
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/18-25.6; 8/18-24.5; 10/18-23.8;
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
6/20-22.5; 7/20-23.0; 9/20-23.6
4/21 - 25.2

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:21 am

Hi Automatedeating!
The Kettlebell challenge is going great! Since my last check-in, I've moved up several ranks. I'm happy to report that I can now do push ups!

My desire to move up in Kettlebell ranking has given me the kick in the pants I needed to lose some weight. I lost about 7 lbs to be able to do push ups.

The next movements I need to complete involve pull ups. That isn't going to happen unless I shed some more lbs.

Once again, I have fallen into my pesky late afternoon snack habit. Time to get serious again and reconnect with my No S community cyber-friends.

I'm like a boomerang (or a bad penny), I always come back :D :D

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:37 pm

I like the boomerang analogy because you never stop moving. :)

Congrats on moving up in kettlebells, and in losing weight so you are able to continue progressing with push-ups.

Always glad to see you on the boards, Lori! :)
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:31 pm

Back 'atcha Automatedeating! I'm sending you a smiley face... :D

I did it! I moved up to Green ranking in Kettle Bells. One of the test requirements was preforming push ups. Done!

My next rank test involves pull ups. Yipes!

It's time to focus once again on the No S rules. I'm also bringing back WIDRT (What I Did Right Today).

Let's go...

WIDRT
-30 min run at the crack of dawn.
-Vanilla S

I'm giving myself a smiley face... :D

eschano

Post by eschano » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:27 am

Congrats!! Well done, all the hard work seems to pay off.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:50 pm

Thanks eschano!

WIDRT
-Vanilla S!!!

My S days window opens at Friday at 4pm to Sunday at 4pm.
It's 4:47pm...WOOHOO!!!

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:34 pm

I'm glad that I participated in the 12 week challenge at my kettle bell place. I'm also glad it's over. Even though there wasn't a plan we had to follow, we did have to fill out a food log 5 days a week. And we had a weekly weigh-in.

After about 3 weeks, I began to fall back into a "diet" mentality. My mood was being influenced by the number on the scale. For most of the challenge, I was in third place for weight loss. My ego liked seeing my name on the board and I wanted to keep it there. I started adding more workout time and cutting back on my meal portions.

It's crazy how fast a diet spiral can occur. Weight loss wasn't my main goal. I just wanted to lose a couple lbs in order to complete the required push ups needed to rank test. Soon the number on the scale was my priority. Yipes!

The next 12 week challenge begins in May. I'm not going to sign up for that one. No more food logs and weekly weigh ins for me. I know they work for many people, including my husband. I'm better off focusing on the 3 No S rules with no tweaks.

WIDRT
-morning hike with the husband

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:53 pm

I signed up for the April Challenge. My goal is always Vanilla S. Three rules that should be simple but in reality, kick my butt.

I can complete marathons but struggle to avoid snacks.

Sometimes the no snack rule is easy. Instead, I fall down at desserts on N days. It's crazy!

The good news is that I (we) pick ourselves up and keep on truckin' along.

WIDRLT (What I Did Right Later Today)
-long afternoon hike with husband

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:20 pm

I'm working out of town for most of the week.
No S is easier for me when I'm in a hotel room. I guess it's because I'm out of my routine.
WIDRT
-Pulled myself out of bed at at the crack of dawn to do a run before I left for work.
-No Snacks!

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:57 pm

WIDRT
-No Snacks (between breakfast and lunch) It's better than nothing!

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:01 pm

Yippee, I found my check-in thread!

I started a new thread last month called "My Year of No Sugar". The "No Sugar" component of No S is the most difficult for me. I figured that if I cut it out of my life for 12 months, I might be able to gain control.

My plan was to write about not consuming sugar. The problem was that after a couple posts, I was running out of things to say!

So here I am, back to my original posts. I'm going to include my No Sugar project in this thread instead of the other one. I'll go back to writing about kettle bells, marathons, and No S as well as sugary stuff.

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:00 am

That sounds good! I saw your comment in the other thread about the connection between sugar and snacking, and it makes sense! Do you find it easier to stick with 3 meals, since you're not eating sugar?

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:02 pm

Hi Lori!
I'll enjoy hearing from you no matter which thread you're using. :)
I've always felt like just having the one thing to talk about (no sugar, or NoS....) runs us out of talking points pretty quick. Hence my crazy all-over-the-place thread that I adore keeping. It's like I finally have a diary again--just like when I was a kid!
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:40 pm

I'm reading an interesting book. Small Change, Big Move by Carolyn Arnold. Here's the description...

Do you constantly make resolutions, but rarely meet your goals? When trying to lose weight, save money, or get organized, do you begin with enthusiasm and determination only to see your progress stall and your willpower finally collapse? If so, you’re not alone—nearly 90 percent of personal improvement resolutions end in failure. Such yearly defeats may tempt you to take increasingly drastic actions to meet your goals, yet it’s the small but pivotal behavioral change––the microresolution––that is most likely to lead to true personal transformation.

This is my life in a couple of sentences. Big declarations that last a week or so. I'm going to do the opposite and make small changes.

I'm going to have to suppress the impatient, immediate results and reward portion of my brain

Back with more details...
Last edited by LoriLifts on Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:22 pm

More info about "Small Move, Big Change"...

Arnold, corporate executive, finds from personal experience that “microresolution†is the first long-term success she achieved in realizing her resolutions—from losing weight to spending more time with her family, to going to the gym regularly, to being better organized. How she achieved these successes is presented as her system for readers of any age to make resolutions that they can sustain by developing new habits. Arnold’s seven rules of microresolutions include: don’t make resolutions you can’t keep, a microresolution is easy; make resolutions that are explicit and measurable actions; make resolutions in which the payoff is immediate, obvious, and sustainable; practice, practice, practice (a new habit takes time to become automatic); and make resolutions personal (what change in personal behavior meets your objectives?). Arnold concludes her thought-provoking road map to successfully transforming ourselves with new habits with this line, “Learning how to do just one thing differently punches your ticket for a voyage of continuous self-improvement.â€

My June Microresolution....Vanilla S on Mondays.
Because my resolution is only for 24 hours, I can't say "This is just too hard".
Because my resolution is specific, I can't push it off to later in the week. If I am Vanilla S compliant on Monday, the week is a success. If not, the week is a failure.
Because I only have to be Vanilla S on Monday (during June), I don't feel overwhelmed.
The modesty of this month's goal is forcing me to face a hard truth. If I can't follow through with this one reasonable change, being a No S'er may be a fantasy.

So far, it's working.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:57 pm

My plan will be to at least write on the days I'll be Vanilla S.

This month will be on Mondays. In July I'll add a second day.

Tomorrow (Monday)I'm flying to Los Angeles for work, I won't have my laptop with me. Here's my plan to make Monday a success.

Before my flight, my husband and I are going for a morning run.

I'll eat breakfast later in the morning. Probably a couple hard boiled eggs with avocado and strawberries. A small piece of smoked salmon should fit on my plate too.

The cocktail part starts at 6pm in Los Angeles. I'll have 1 glass of wine and skip the appetizers.

One plate of food for dinner. No dessert.

If I stick to this plan, Monday will be a success. :D

I'll be gone all week but will be back home for the following Monday's report.

I gotta pack....

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:20 pm

Back again with more praise for "Small Move, Big Change". This is the best book I've read since "The No S Diet".

Here's a bit of text, about why micro resolutions should be limited, reasonable and achievable...

"You'll experience the satisfaction and empowerment that come from targeting an action, following through, and building a positive new habit. Experiencing success builds confidence and motivation and lifts the jinx of repeated defeats.Instead of anticipating failure, you'll learn to expect success.The cycle of making, forsaking, and remaking resolutions will be broken forever.

:D :D :D

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:30 am

Wow, those are some great insights!! I can see why you're so enthusiastic about it. I'll be very interested to read about how Monday Vanilla No S goes for you. I think in my case, implementing a micro resolution could really help.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:04 pm

Hiya Clarinetgal!
My feelings reading this book have paralleled when I read The No S Diet. They both make sense to me.

I'm still working on changing my mindset from big, long-term goals. The book says to never think of a micro resolution as a stepping stone on the way to a future goal. The benefit the micro resolution provides is the goal. I need to rejoice in the rewards the micro resolution provides today. The future will take care of itself.

Yipes, I need to get to the airport!

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:39 am

Greetings from Hollywood!
My hotel has free WIFI, I had to check in with a successful Monday.

There were potential minefields but I dodged them. The cocktail hour began at 6 and just as I anticipated, lots of appetizers were being passed around. I didn't consume any of them. When dinner was served I stuck to one plate of food and avoided the dessert bar.

A microresolution's timeframe is today, not someday. This appeals to my need for instant gratification.

This week ,my microresolution to commit to Vanilla S was a success.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:01 am

I'm going to see if my library has this book!
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:48 pm

Great job! :D

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:15 pm

Autoeats....I hope you like the book as much as I do. It's really helping to keep me focused and "moderate".

I'm at LAX waiting to board a plane. I'm not going home yet, I'll be in Las Vegas for couple of days. I'm doing a half marathon on Saturday.

My business trip was a success. My June microresolution is No S Mondays, however, I stuck to the No Sweets and No Seconds rules for the duration of my meetings.

Sometimes it wasn't easy. Everyday at 2 pm, big platters of cookies and brownies arrived. I was tempted but didn't give in.

The Small Move book says not to add a second microresolution until the first one is on auto pilot. It recommends waiting 4-6 weeks. I feel as though I'm ready to add another No S day to my week but I'll wait until July 1.

My flight is boarding, I better quit writing!

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:23 am

It sounds like you did great, while on your trip! Good luck with the half marathon!

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:09 pm

It's Monday and I'm back home.

No S Monday was a success. I was flying home this morning but had time to catch the noon kettle bell class.

It was hot hot hot in Vegas but I had a fun time. I completed the race on Saturday, Sunday was a "run up every staircase I see" on the Las Vegas strip. I've done this before, it's a good workout. I start at my hotel, Caesars Palace and end at Mandalay Bay. There are lots of pedestrian walkways, all have stairs. My goal is to run up all of them. Next time I need to count the stairs, I think there are about 500.

Yippee, it's almost dinnertime. I'm going to make a goat cheese and arugula omelet with a side of bacon and tomatoes. One plate. No Sweets!

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:04 pm

I vowed to not "tweak" the advice given in "Small Move, Big Change".

The extreme, "let's do it all at once" side of my personality keeps rearing it's head. I keep pushing it down.

The book says to not make more than 2 micro resolutions at once. When the habits are ingrained and part of your lifestyle, you can add another micro resolution. The book suggests 4-6 weeks per micro resolution.

I feel confident that No S Monday is sticking. The big test was last Monday, when I succeeded in social situations in Los Angeles.

On July 1, I will add No S Tuesday to No S Monday.

Time for an afternoon kettle bell class!

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:08 pm

From "Small Move, Big Change"...

"The habits you are building through microresolutons will ultimately give birth to new preferences.After a bit more time than it takes to move a behavior into autopilot, your preferences will realign with your new habits, and nostalgia for old routines will fade away."

"As your preferences shift to support your new habits, your sense of who you are will shift too."

I really like the part about old routines fading away.

I had a powerful habit at my favorite coffee place. Every morning I would stop in and get a coffee and one of their homemade (delicious!) english muffins. I ate one a day for years. Hundreds of homemade (delicious!) english muffins.

I would still be eating them if I didn't make the decision to give up wheat. I kept failing at my wheat-free plan because I couldn't get the english muffin monkey off my back.

I finally stopped eating those (delicious!) english muffins. The craving was present every time I stopped in for coffee. I averted my eyes when I saw the display case. For about a year I was very nostalgic about my coffee/muffin habit.

Fast forward to a couple years. I now go into the coffee shop and don'y think about eating english muffins. I look into the display case and am detached from what I see. My preference has shifted to align with my wheat-free habit.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:43 pm

One of the benefits of doing a microresolution is that I'm looking forward to adding another one.

On July 1 I'm adding another No S day to the week. I'll be doing No S Mondays and Tuesdays. In the past, when I've attempted to do Vanilla S, I would be conflicted. Yes, I want to do Vanilla S!!! No, I don't want to do Vanilla S!!!

This way of adding one day a month seems to not make me freak out. And like I said, I'm actually looking forward to 2 days in July.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:00 pm

Cherries are awesome this year!
I love all the summer fruit. I (almost) prefer a bowl of summer fruit instead of ice cream.
Peach season is around the corner!

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:50 pm

walkerlori wrote:Cherries are awesome this year!
I love all the summer fruit. I (almost) prefer a bowl of summer fruit instead of ice cream.
Peach season is around the corner!
Hey, I just posted about summer fruit (and yummy cherries) on my daily thread. I hear ya about preferring them to other dessert type foods. LOVE summer fruit (and veggies) :D

Sounds like you are doing great, and very energetic !
Berry

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:31 am

Yes, Summer fruit is great! I agree that a really good piece of fruit is better than most desserts.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:09 pm

Busy week of travel coming up. I leave on Monday and then back home on Thursday.

Monday and Tuesday will be my official No S days for July. I'm debating whether to add another food microresolution for July. Adding a No S day is lengthening a microresolution, I would feel comfortable adding a second one.

I re-read the criteria for a micrcoresolution. Among them, the book says..

A microresolution needs to have instant gratification (I like that!). Getting paid up front for your effort should leave you eager to nail your next resolution and its reward. This is different from the familiar cycle of constantly renewing an ambitious and failed resolution in the hopes you can finally achieve an ideal outcome this time.

A microresolution must be a pledge you are sure you have the power to keep - a no excuses resolution.To be`absolutely achievable, it must be limited. Put aside that familiar temptation to try to fix everything all at once and focus instead on making a resolution that is so reasonable you are sure you can make it stick.

Hmmm..I've got some thinking to do...

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:45 pm

Lori, your thread is very fun to read right now! Your microresolution book (which I am still meaning to check out) sounds absoulutely up my alley. :)

My most recent challenge is some summer parenting. I am home in the summer and so I can be more focused on my kids'. I'm looking to design some "microresolutions" as you put it, that I can sustain and add to throughout the upcoming school year.

So thanks for giving me some much-needed anticipation and hope that I can get 'er done with the power of small changes!
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:17 pm

Hi Autoeats...thanks for the smiley face!

The Small Move,Big Change book addresses other situations besides diet. There are chapters on organization, finances,relationships, etc. I'm focusing on diet because that's where my major challenges are. I hope you find some successful microsolutions for you and your kids.

Talk to you soon!

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:38 pm

After careful consideration, my second micro resolution for July will be a 24 hour fast once a week.

I know this sounds extreme but a day of fasting is pretty painless for me. I like not thinking about what to eat for a day. I do my fast from 6pm to the following day at 6pm.

On a different topic, I'm working in El Paso, Texas and it's hot as heck!

MICRO RESOLUTION UPDATE...I decided to scrap the fasting one for now. I want to put all my energy into the No S rules. July has been updated to 2 Vanilla S days a week.
Last edited by LoriLifts on Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:10 am

That book sounds SO interesting! I'll have to see if I can make a micro resolution with my eating. My schedule is so busy right now, I may have to wait until the Fall. I could see maybe coming up with micro resolutions for other areas, though -- like housework, or spending. Yes, a lot to think about!

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:58 am

Hi Lori. I'm back posting for a bit. Struggling mostly with sugar. So having read your threads am combining micro resolution with no sugar. Starting one day at a time. Thanks for the tips. You're doing great :-)

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:27 pm

Hi Tessy and Clarinet!
I hope using micro resolutions help you as much as they're helping me.

My husband is a big resolution guy, he's skeptical of these tiny ones. Everybody is different, once he makes up his mind to do something, it gets done. No grey area. He is very methodical and structured.

Most of my life is lived in the grey area! I'm always tweaking and changing things. I'm a spontaneous and spur of the moment person.

I think that's why micro resolutions are working for me.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:19 pm

Sounds like you and your husband are typical opposites! That's what makes a marriage so fun. :wink:
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:01 pm

Hi Autoeats...You're right, we are opposites and in August we'll be married for 30 years. Opposites do attract!

My husband gets exasperated about my 'diet ADD". Except for my micro resolutions, I haven't made any extreme food changes in awhile. Wait, I forgot about declaring "My Year of No Sugar" around Easter. :shock:

I get exasperated with my husband's love of structure and routine. Actually I'm kind of envious of his determination.

When I get antsy to try another "diet", I've been reminding myself that if I only add 1 more Vanilla S day per month as my micro resolution, I'll be 100% compliant before the New Year.

Maybe in 2015 I'll switch my micro resolutions to a different topic. Like cleaning up my house!

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:55 pm

Your husband sounds like my husband, and I'm more like you! Yes, opposites attract. :D

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:05 am

I'm working out of town. I'm at a hotel with slow internet so I better type fast before my laptop crashes.

My 2 Vanilla S days have been completed for the week.

On Sunday I'm doing a half marathon. This time my husband is completing it with me. He usually does 2 or 3 a year with me, the rest I do solo.

I better sign off before I lose what I wrote. I hate when that happens..

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:55 pm

Working out of town again.

The half marathon I was supposed to do on Sunday was postponed...that sucked.

My next half is in August in Las Vegas. Actually it's in Rachel, Nevada, at Area 51. At midnight! I've done the half and the full before, it's fun being in the middle of nowhere in the dark!

Today was supposed to be my second Vanilla S day but alas, it's not to be. I'm working out of town with my boss, I succumbed to stress eating. The good thing about micro resolutions is that I still have time to have a successful week. Tomorrow will be a Vanilla S day.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:23 pm

Random musings while I'm working out of town...

If I don't snack, I don't crave sweets.

When I don't snack, I seem to drink more than 1 glass of "before my dinner" glass of wine. I may have to implement a glass ceiling of 1 glass a day, especially when I'm out of town.

I need to use the hotel gyms more often. It's only down 2 flights of stairs!

When I'm out of town, I love laying in bed and watching the Food Channel. I guess that's why I'm not in the hotel gym.

I don't have a food per diem when I'm working out of town. I could order room service.Instead I find the local health food store and stock up on better options. That is a small victory.

I've run out of things to say...

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:16 am

I think that is a good insight, about not craving sweets, if you don't snack. Your Las Vegas half marathon sure sounds interesting!

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:55 pm

Guess what? I'm working out of town again!

Here's something interesting...I'm very very close to being a Vanilla S gal from Monday to Friday. July was only supposed to be 2 Vanilla S`days a week, increasing to 3 in August.

I seem to be not craving sweets during the weekdays. If I don't eat sweets, the other 2 rules fall into place.

I'm not going to proclaim that I'm a Vanilla S'er. I've fallen into this trap before. Instead, I will continue on my micro resolution path.

My August goal is 3 days of Vanilla S. Added days per week will be nice but not needed.

eschano

Post by eschano » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:54 am

I'm so glad this is working for you! I like the micro-resolutions and will be using them to experiment with what's on my plate.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:10 pm

I really, really, really need a new laptop!

Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't (kind of like my Vanilla S compliance).

So what have I been up to for the last couple months...

I'm still doing half marathons. Tomorrow I'm heading to Vegas to do one on Saturday. Gotta keep moving!

I've had several Vanilla S weeks but haven't completed the ultimate 21 day Vanilla S Challenge. I'm very close though....

Kettlebells have been my strength training lately. I do miss my Shovelglove. It's time to dust it off and start chopping again.

I hope all my No S peeps are doing great. I miss reading your blogs. My stupid laptop hasn't crashed yet, maybe it fixed itself!

Hope to be back soon.
Keep Calm and No S on :D

eschano

Post by eschano » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:36 am

Lol walkerlori! Thank you for popping by my thread and delighted you're doing well. Have a great time in Vegas.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

aspencer27

Post by aspencer27 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:18 pm

Welcome back again. Good luck with your half! Feel free to join us for the September challenge - it's never too late to join in. We'll be doing one in October, too, so you can use that as the 21 day challenge, too, or just post your 21-day challenge yourself.

Enjoy Vegas!

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:57 pm

Thanks for the welcome back guys!

Whenever I'm away for awhile I'm afraid you all think I've fallen off the No S wagon. Many times I've fallen off but I always get back up before the wagon runs over me!

I'm heading to Las Vegas in a couple hours. I'll be back with a recap on Monday unless I can't get my laptop to open. I'm cautiously optimistic, it seems like it's working again. I love when electronics fix themselves!

Better start packing....

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:20 am

Welcome back! I'm glad to see you're doing well with No S, even if it's not quite Vanilla. So I take it you started with vanilla for 1 day a week, and worked up from there? I'm tempted to do something like that. Sweets are starting to have too much power over me again.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:34 pm

Hi clarinetgal
Yep, I've been doing a "one day at a time approach".

I've also been reading the blog on this website...isabelfoxenduke.com.

I really like her philosophy, "Stop Fighting Food". It's a good companion to No S.

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:06 am

Walkerlori, Thanks! I suspect I'll end up doing the same, taking it one day at a time. I'll have to check out that blog!

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:28 pm

I have a posting pattern.

When I'm having trouble with my No S habit, I post on a regular basis.

When I'm being compliant, I fall off the internet.

That's not right! This community has helped me many, many times when I couldn't stop snacking, or shoving cookies in my mouth. I know I can always get inspired or motivated by coming here.

I'm not sure how inspiring or motivating I am. After all, it took me since January 2008 to get the No S rules to stick (most of the time). I do feel that I have an obligation to share my No S experiences on this blog. After almost 6 years, I've tried one million mods and tweaks. I've attempted to be Vanilla S two million times. The good news is I kept at it and now have more greens on my HabitCal than reds.

I think I'll start off my "I'm going to post on a regular basis" with attempting a 21 day Vanilla S Challenge. Every-time I have tried to do this, I fail. Here's hoping this time will be different.

So....Day 1 is an S day :D
My husband and I were up early to do a half marathon in Albuquerque. Since the race, I've been kind of snacking all day (there are no failures on S days!). In a few hours we're going out to dinner. My S days run from Friday at 5 to Sunday at 5. My meal will be N day compliant (one plate, no dessert).

Back tomorrow for Day 2.

mitchelll

Post by mitchelll » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:07 pm

Walkerlori,

Thanks for posting. As a relative newbie to NoS, I can honestly say that just reading through the forums, especially the daily check ins has been incredibly helpful to me, if for noting else, the knowledge that I am not alone with my diet and food struggles. And I find it all helpful---the great success stories are motivating, the struggle stories usually provoke other posters to chime in with great helpful advice, and even the most discouraging can sometimes be a helpful example of what not to do.

Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks for posting.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:28 pm

Thank you mitchelll. And welcome to the No S community, we're a very supportive bunch :)

Today was a red day :( I picked a tough week to begin a 21 Day Challenge, it must have been all those endorphin's from yesterday's race!

My stress level will decrease when I drop my boss off at the airport on Wednesday afternoon. Until then, I will make the best choices that I can under the circumstances.

I have to remember my blog title "Keep Calm and No S On".

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:37 am

Good luck with the rest of your challenge! It is definitely hard to stay on track with eating during stressful times!

eschano

Post by eschano » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:24 am

I think your story is exactly what so many here need to read. It is an inspiring story of perseverance and success!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:31 am

Thanks for the kind words clarinetgal and eschano. You guys are the greatest!

The giant stressball has been deflated. Most of the stress was created in my mind, my boss is actually a really nice guy.

My mind induced stress was created because I wanted to be "Perfect" when my boss was in town. Striving for perfection never turns out well for me. I usually end up freaking out unnecessarily. I need to quit doing this.

Anyway...it's time for bed. Back tomorrow.

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:52 am

I'm glad everything worked out for you! :D

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:37 pm

Hey now...I'm on successful Day 4 of a 21 Day Challenge.

This is a big deal for me....I have never ever made it past 72 hours.

I'm on a roll baby!

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:59 am

Good job! :D

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:11 pm

Woo Hoo!! Well done on Day 4. How did Day 5 go?
Hugs from Sunny South Africa
Vanilla No S with no Sugar due to Health issues - 11 yrs No S - September 2016 (some good, some bad (my own doing) but always the right thing for me!)

Kookie

Post by Kookie » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:32 pm

Hi Walkerlori,

Just dropping by to say how much I enjoy reading your posts. I LOVE the microresolution thing too and it's funny, whenever I am giving (usually unsolicited) advice to friends about diet or anything else, I also suggest tiny, baby, easy changes. Why not for myself?!

Also, I love Isabel Foxen-Duke too - she's hilarious! I wonder what she would say about NoS..?

Sending a big high five :lol:

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:50 pm

Holy cow!
I got a high five, a woohoo and a good job! You guys are the greatest!

Now that I have a small string of successes, I notice how my mind thinks in circles. Case in point...

This morning I was in a bookstore. The pull of the "diet" section was too strong to conquer. I wandered over to see "what's new". As I skimmed the pages of several books, I thought "Why not try whatever diet I was reading, for 21 days". I could always go back to No S later. Or maybe on Jan 1.

Luckily I stopped myself before I completed the circle. What usually happens is this sequence..
1...I buy a new diet book, vowing to commit to it for 21 days or 3 months, etc.
2...The diet begins...for awhile, then I begin to wobble.
3...I come back to No S.

Crazy!
The good news is that even though I almost begin the pattern, I stopped myself before I began.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:37 pm

I've been listening and reading the transcripts of Reinhard's podcasts. I highly recommend them, they are chocked full of wisdom.

Like this segment on sticking to the 3 rules..

So be strict about things that are very clear. The literal rules of the no-s diet, for example. It's both easier to be strict about things that are clear, and it's more effective. You don't have to agonize so much about what you have to be strict about, it's obvious, and dumb habit learns simple rules faster.

In some individual cases, the literal rules may seem silly. Like not eating an orange between meals. Or that mountainous single plate of junk food you're about to eat. But big picture the rules make a lot of sense, and you don't want to trade the big picture "good enough" for little picture perfection. Because when you make exceptions you sacrifice clarity. And when you sacrifice clarity you sacrifice habit. And without habit, the whole enterprise is hopeless.

See what I mean?
I'm going to listen to all of them again. The more reinforcement, the better.

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:30 am

Offering another "Woo!! Hoo!!" for breaking the Diet Book cycle!!!
Hugs from Sunny South Africa
Vanilla No S with no Sugar due to Health issues - 11 yrs No S - September 2016 (some good, some bad (my own doing) but always the right thing for me!)

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:28 am

Hi MerryKat :D I refuse to buy another "diet" book!

Every diet book I owned (and I had an extensive collection), represented failure. They ranged from raw vegan to no carbs. Different approaches with a common denominator....failure. I'm done!

On Saturday, I completed my 6th half marathon in 6 weeks. If I was on a "diet", my mind would be pre-occupied with the details instead of enjoying the miles. Crazy thinking!

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:29 am

Good job on breaking the diet book cycle! :D I used to be obsessed with buying diet books, but I'm done. I have discovered that I don't like some diet book telling me what I can or can't eat. I can decide that for myself. That is definitely one of the most appealing features of No S -- very few restrictions, as long as you follow the rules. Good job on all of your half marathons!

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:37 pm

Thanks for the kudos Clarinentgal!

I realized that there are about 9 weeks left in 2014. I want to spend the remainder of the year to tighten up the 3 No S rules. Although I'm doing Vanilla S, some areas may be a bit...grey instead of black and white.

For example, No Snacks.

No food is stuffed in my mouth from breakfast to lunch.

All is well until an hour before dinner.

Before dinner I enjoy a nice glass of Pinot Noir. A glass of wine is Vanilla S compliant. But...sometimes...I have some cheese with my wine.

It's not a snack! It's a prelude to dinner!

I'm fooling myself!

Time to tighten up!

For the next 3 weeks I'm going to concentrate on building a stronger fence around the No Snacking rule.

Then I'll move on to No Seconds. There is some "grey-ish" behaviors there too.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:02 am

OK, I'm going to admit it....I MISS EATING CHEESE WITH A GLASS OF WINE.

I miss it but I'm not going to do it.

Because that would be a snack.

And I don't eat snacks on an N day.

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:37 am

Two thoughts:
1. You can still eat cheese with your wine 2 days out of 7, so that's almost 29% of your evenings. Sounds like quite a lot of the time, doesn't it :)

2. If you have to, you can virtually plate the cheese - i.e. leave a slightly exagerated space on your dinner plate where the cheese would have fit (not balanced on the rim or anything).

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:56 pm

Hiya ironchef!
When I have a hankering for some cheese with a glass of wine (like right now), I tell myself "I can have a snack with my pre-dinner glass of wine on Saturday, if I want". That seems to be working.

I've gotten control over my previous "Snacking" times. Besides 4pm, my other trigger time was 8pm. The lethal bedtime snack. That was a tough one to beat but I did it. I don't even eat at night on S days. But I bet I'll be having a tasty cheese/wine combo on Saturday at 4pm!

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:51 pm

I'm re-reading Small Move, Big Change by Caroline Arnold. This book is a perfect companion to No S. It's about using micro resolutions to attain your goals.

I'm focusing on the No Snacks habit in November. I made a list of potential triggers that cause me to have a red day during the week. As I mentioned earlier, a glass of wine could be a potential cue to set up a craving for nuts or cheese before dinner.

I'm happy to report that this habit was a pretty easy one to break. The first couple days were uncomfortable, by Thursday I was ok with just a glass of Pinot Noir without a snack. I wish all habits were so easy to conquer!

Another "snack y" time of day is when I'm making dinner. It's not quite snacks, more like taking tastes and bites while I'm making dinner. All the tastes and bites probably adds up to a snack!

This week I'm focusing on meal preparation without tasting.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:31 am

My super-duper focus on No Snacking in November is paying off. Today is Nov 10th without any slip ups. Although I know I could do so, my snacks on S days have been minimized too. :)

It's almost time to make dinner. No tastes, bites or licks until it's mealtime!

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:55 am

This weekend I'm heading to Las Vegas to do another half marathon. This is a really fun race, it's run on the Strip at night!

I used to do full marathons but now I mostly do halfs. It's my way of practicing exercise moderation!

Over New Years I do have an extreme plan. I'm going over to Phoenix to walk a 100K! Urban Ranger to the max! I'm going to spread the distance over 72 hours, about 20 miles per day.

Oh yeah...another No Snacking day :)
Last edited by LoriLifts on Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:47 am

That marathon does sound like fun, and your New Years goal sounds great! I love your idea of focusing on one habit at a time!

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:18 am

Thanks for the kind words clarinetgal. You rock!

I'm heading to Las Vegas tomorrow for my races. Tomorrow night I have a 5K and on Sunday it will be a half marathon.

Back next week with the details...

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:05 pm

Glad I could bring some calm, though I was looking at one sent in an email this morning! I almost let myself off the hook since I am at over 30% bodyfat. You, however, ... come on, girl!

I also get the newsletter from the Blue Zone people. NO mention of bodyfat in that group. Moderation all around.

Have fun in Vegas!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:49 am

Hiya oolala,
Moderation rocks! ( I need to remember this)

Vegas was fun. Didn't win any money but I gained another half marathon medal!

I'm working out of town and having to deal with a sluggish WIFI connection. Back tomorrow...

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:10 pm

Hi WalkerLori,

Thanks for coming by my new thread to say hello - so nice a welcome! You seem to be doing really well, and I'm so glad for you. (And for me... right now, I can use the inspiration!)

Best,

KCCC

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:14 am

Hiya KCCC!

Well, I have a bit of a head cold. I always brag that I don't get sick, this must be illness karma coming back to bite me.

The good news is that it's very easy to not snack when most of your taste is gone!

Time to blow my nose...

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:46 am

Get well soon! Maybe some nice herbal tea?

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:25 pm

KCCC...Thanks for the get well soon shout out.

I still feel like my head is full of cotton but I'm on the road to recovery. The part that sucks is that my taste is gone and it's an S day :( :(

The good news is that the ultimate S day, Thanksgiving is around the corner :D :D

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:56 pm

My November challenge of focusing on the No Snacks rule is going very well. I'm confident that I've broken the behaviors that would sometimes turn an N day into a failure.

My sneaky Snacking History...

The biggest hurdle was breaking the 8pm nightly snack. I started No S in 2008, it took me a couple years to finally kick it to the curb. That nightly snack had a powerful grip, some nights I went to bed at 8 just to break the routine. After much trial and error, I found that if I wasn't watching tv, I didn't crave a snack. And by 8:30, the urge to snack was gone. For about 6 months I turned the tv off from 7:30 to 8:30. I would read, or surf the internet or sometimes, clean the house! Even staring at a wall was better than watching tv and fighting snack cravings. Fast forward to 2014, the thought of a nightly snack has no appeal to me, even on S Days. This is a major victory for me.

This month, I focused on my snack trigger time from 4-6pm. The vulnerable time after work, when I want to "relax". I look forward to having a pre-dinner glass of Pinot Noir. Somehow the glass of wine began to include some cheese and nuts. To my horror, I discovered that I had built a powerful habit. A glass of wine would always find me with a wedge of cheese. I tried replacing the wine with tea, that was a big failure. I didn't eat any cheese or nuts but I didn't want the tea either!

What seems to be working is having my glass of wine about a half hour before dinner. Having a snack that close to a meal loses it's appeal. I also have to stay off my computer from 4-5pm, that seems to trigger a snack craving too.

My last sneaky snack habit was to take bites of dinner before it's on a plate. This habit wasn't too hard to break. I just need to keep my mouth shut while I'm preparing dinner!

Next month I'm tackling the Big Magilla...No Sweets. Lots of landmines there. Lucky for me, I'll have the push of a successful No Snacks November to help me succeed.

Back later....

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:05 pm

Wow! Interesting that the nightly snack took so long, though who am I to talk, as it's often back for me. More like nibbles of this and that.

Do you mean No Sweets ever? I can't see myself at THIS point making that a pronouncement, as more and more of them have lost their appeal. But never say never.

Not that it's any of my business, but your goal is not weight loss, right? Just more being moderate and not needlessly random?
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:12 am

Hiya oolala!

I bet kicking my nightly snack habit took more than 6 months! Seemed like years!

When I referred to No Sweets I mean No Sweets during N days. Yep, it's a challenge for me to endure 5 days without sugar!

You captured my intentions in one sentence...Being Moderate and Not Needlessly Random.

You have such a way with words! I love when you stop by my thread!

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:04 am

Great job! I sure can relate to you, with the snacking! The evening snack has been a really hard habit for me to break, also. I've mostly succeeded, but I'll still occasionally eat in the evenings. Good luck with the No Sweets! My goal is to eventually get to that point.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:38 pm

Thanks for the support CGal!

Easing into the No Snacks habit worked for me. I'm pretty sure that this game plan won't work for No Sweets. I'm such a Sugar Addict, I think I need to do a radical Sugar-ectomy (hey, a new word!) on N days. I've tried to taper back sugar before, I never finish it.

It's time to bring the pain (on N days). No Sweets on N days. Period. Quit yer whining, it's only for 5 days a week (I'm giving a pep talk to myself, not My No S peeps).

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:20 pm

Here's a terrific post from Isabel Foxen Duke....

You Might Eat Your Face Off on Thanksgiving

...and that's okay.

One of the most classic ways women set themselves up to binge-eat is by anticipating binge-eating.
There’s sooo much fear of food around the Holidays. So many of us feel like family holidays are a War Zone:

“WHATEVER YOU DO, DON’T LOOK AT THE BAKED BRIE.â€

“Make sure the candied yams are at the opposite side of the table from you, so you’ll have to literally reach over Aunt Lizzy’s plate in order to get it.â€

“Excuse yourself to make a phone call as soon as the desserts are served,â€

…and whatever else you’ve said to yourself to avoid food at a holiday party.

The anxiety is crippling.

You never know when a plate of pigs n’ blanket is gonna take you down.

I had a client call me nearly in tears because she was so afraid of bingeing when she went home for vacation.

And all I really wanted to say to her was…

You might.

We all might.

We all might eat a shit ton of food on Thanksgiving.

But what if that was okay?

You see,

The more we’re afraid of eating,

the more we anticipate completely losing our shit with the food,

the more likely that is to happen.

When we fear something, we manifest it.

Worrying about what we should or should not be eating, is like mentally preparing to go buck wild the minute dinner is served.

While on the flipside,

when we relax,

when we relinquish that control,

and just get cool with whatever outcome happens with our food on Thanksgiving day,

The less food will control us.

I have no idea what I’m going to eat on Thanksgiving.

And I have no idea if I’ll eat when I’m hungry, and stop when I’m full,

or if I’ll literally keep eating non-stop for 4 hours until I can barely breathe.

I have no idea.

But I do know, that whatever happens on Thanksgiving,

is perfectly fine.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:59 pm

Mark Sisson, author of Mark's Daily Apple blog, wrote a post about Being Thankful For Your Health. Here is an excerpt...

Sometimes I think people cut themselves off from this depth of gratitude by living outside of their bodies to some extent – as a result of trauma, distress or distortion. They take a parsing, hypervigilant, corrective perspective on their bodies and their condition – the body as something to be whipped into shape, deprived, pushed and monitored. That kind of animosity, I’ve found, tends to camouflage some sort of deep-seated fear.

When we allow ourselves to wholly appreciate our health – appreciation being the full living out of gratitude, we use and develop our infinite capacities and likewise find infinite joy in its pleasures. Let’s face it – a utilitarian take on health cuts our physical experience off at the knees. We can not only allow ourselves to enjoy the little things – the sun on your back, the feeling of human touch, the runner’s high, a nap’s recharge, a holiday meal’s flavor, the mind’s recollections. In combination with our physical capacities, they’re all part of our inclusive health.

As so many of us celebrate Thanksgiving here in the U.S., I’d offer this challenge to everyone today. Make the choice to cultivate gratitude for your health. Be more present to your health every day. Explore and expand your abilities. Live out your appreciation for your physical potential by developing it action by action, experiment by experiment. Embrace the small pleasures and challenge yourself to reach for even intimidating achievements and intermittent euphoria.

Make a list later tonight (or whenever you’re moved to do so) of all that your health as done for you this year. What has your health allowed you to try, to experience, to practice, to see, to explore, to feel, to accomplish, to share, to create?

This year my health has...
-kept me off any type of medications. I'm 57 and am noticing more people my age beginning to take some sort of corrective daily pills, for blood pressure, blood sugars,etc.

-except for an annoying head thing, no colds or flu or allergies

-let me complete more half marathons that I can remember. Probably about 15-20 this year.

-hike in the Grand Canyon this summer

-swing kettle bells in a class filled with burly firefighters and policemen half my age.

There's more to re-count, I need to put my thinking cap on.

Eating the No S way supports my health. No restrictive or crash dieting (I've done lots of that). It also reduces the obsessive/compulsive way I sometimes look at food.

For my health's sake, I will only use the No S rules to govern my eating. Today is Thanksgiving, until next Thanksgiving I will not research or buy any "diet" books. I am also going to delete most of the diet blogs I have bookmarked. The only community I need for support is this group, you guys keep me grounded!

Hey, it's Thanksgiving! Time to eat!

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:48 pm

Uh-oh.
I kinda "forgot" the day after Thanksgiving isn't a S day :(

Oh well...I'll Keep Calm and No S on :)

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:46 pm

Alrighty...Today is an official S day! No way to fail on S days!

Yesterday I was thinking about the simple genius of the Vanilla S rules. Three rules that can encompass any diet plan or no diet plan at all! I like reading through other people's threads. We are all so different but can share the same No S rules.

Here's another groovy thing about this community. We all have different ways to approach No S however, I have never read any negative comments about what we do. Heck, I've pivoted and detoured and stalled more times than I can count. Everyone has been so supportive and motivating, even when I go kind of crazy (one time I proclaimed I would go totally Sugar-Free for one year. It lasted 54 hours).

Not having the fear of being admonished gives all of us the freedom to conduct personal experiments. Sometimes they work (I'm pretty much wheat-free) and sometimes they don't (the No Sugar project).

I'll refrain from proclaiming that 2015 will be my Vanilla S year. That's my goal and I'm cautiously optimistic that it will stick. It's comforting to know that I can write honestly in my thread without having to deal with negativity. We're an awesome community!
Last edited by LoriLifts on Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:30 pm

Love reading your posts, your words are so true !

I try to respect and treat my body well because I owe it so much. When I get off track, I feel sad because I feel like I am letting someone down. ME. I owe it to myself to be the best I can because I deserve it !

I am 66 and truly plan on living another healthy, happy 40 years :P

Hoping the same for you, Walker Lori.

I will echo your words about this community, I have never been part of a more supportive, uplifting group of people. We all want the best for each other, that collective optimism has to be - as Martha would say - a good thing.
Berry

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:09 pm

Hi Strawberry Roan! One of these days I need to go around and ask people about their usernames. We have some very creative ones around the board, I'm curious about their origin.

My username is easy...I walk alot!

Speaking of walking, I signed up another half marathon! Dec 13 in Las Vegas. This will be my 40th half marathon. I've also completed 50 marathons or ultras. I funnel all my extreme tendencies to walking long distances, instead of diets. Walk on!