Keep Calm and No S on

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:00 am

The good thing about starting and stopping No S 587 times is that I know the triggers that cause me to fall off the program. It's time to stop these behaviors so I can move forward. Here's my top 3 triggers that lead to red days...

STEPPING ON THE SCALE
It doesn't matter if the number is high or low. When I weigh myself, I take a detour from No S. Going forward, I am using the fit of my pants and my waist measurement instead of the scale. Maybe I'll weigh myself once a month.

READING DIET BLOGS
The more blogs I read, the more I'm tempted to try "just one more diet". I'm not getting sucked into the diet vortex anymore. I'm deleting most of the blogs I have bookmarked. Everyday Systems has all the resources I need.

EATING FOOD BECAUSE IT'S GOOD FOR ME (or at least I think it is)
I've got a long list of foods that I tolerate but don't really enjoy..chia seeds, seaweed, gluten-free bread. Eating foods I don't enjoy leads to resentment. Resentment leads to red days. Life is too short to eat foods I don't love. I'm done, no matter how chocked full of antioxidants the offending foods may have.

These triggers are banished!!!
Habits are at first cobwebs, then cables.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:53 pm

Dang, my sugar habit is strong!
Even though today has been a green day, I must have thought "the heck with this Vanilla S thing, I'll start on Jan 1" about a million times today.

When I begin to get discouraged I think about the time before I completed my first marathon. The timeline was something like this...

-Around the age of 30, I bought "How to run a marathon".
-That book was on my nightstand for about 5 years. I would read several chapters, think about actually doing the training, then do something else.
-From the ages of 30-39, I started and stopped marathon training at least once a year.
-When I was 40 years old, something mentally finally clicked. I picked a marathon in New Orleans, trained and completed it. After years of false starts, I finally completed my goal.

From that first race, I have gone on to doing 50 races of marathon distance or beyond (the longest one was 50 freakin' miles). Once the switch was flipped, the mental struggle subsided.

Let's see, I began No S in 2008. If I get the habits to stick before 2018, I'll be ahead of marathon training!

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:03 am

I like your logic!

It took me 7 years to get where I am today with my running. I started running again 7 years ago after 20 years of poor exercise habits and poor eating habits. I am nowhere near your level of running, but I can run 5 miles easily without stopping, and I have done a couple half marathons. I hope to continue to improve, but I am pretty happy with where I am.

I have been doing No S for almost 4 years. In 3 more years I hope I can lose the last few pounds and settle into a more consistent compliance with No S rules!

Good luck to you.
Last edited by r.jean on Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:43 am

Boy, I can relate to what you were saying, about the triggers, and about how it takes a long time to kick the sugar habit. I know when I weigh myself and don't like the number, I tend to experience a WTH effect, and binge. I definitely need to cut way back on weighing myself. Also, with the healthy foods, I've done the same. There are certain healthy foods I'm never going to really like, such as chia seeds, avocado, and celery, so why bother eating them? That is a very inspirational story, about how you started your marathon training.

Heather

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:17 pm

Thanks for stopping by Heather and r.jean!

My goal is to write a testimonial on the Success Story thread. The opening paragraph will be about never stop working on taming bad habits. When I'm confident that I'm in control of the No Sweets rule I'll be a success!

Speaking of goals....I like having them. Unfortunately, when I set any goal involving food or weight, it makes me nutty. So no more diet/weight goals for me.

Instead, I'm going to replace food/diet/weight goals with monthly exercise goals. They don't make me nutty and I enjoy the challenge.

December's goal is to complete a half marathon on Dec 13 in Las Vegas.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:14 pm

I just read a post from Isabel Foxen Duke that re-enforces my decision for no diet or weight goals. Here's an excerpt..

I recently told a client who was struggling to “eat like a normal person,†that the key to “normal†eating (i.e. not dieting, not binge-ing, and generally not thinking about food too much unless hungry or grocery shopping) was to stop trying to control food and weight altogether.

Surrender.
Give up.
Don’t even try.

Of course this completely freaked her out.

She immediately said to me:

“If I stopped trying to control my food and weight, all hell would break loose.â€

to which I replied...

“No... it’s because you’re trying to control your food that all hell is breaking loose.â€

After all,

Are you even in control right now? Is that why you’re working with me? Because you’re so good at controlling your food? Or are you here because you’re not succeeding at controlling food to begin with?

To be clear...

My suggestion is not to “stop controlling†food and weight — my suggestion is to “stop trying to control†food and weight — two very, very different things.

After all, you’re likely reading this email because you recognize your inability to control your food and weight in the long run anyway...whether you try to or not.

What I’m really suggesting here is...

it’s the “trying†—
it’s the fighting for control that you simply don’t have —
that ultimately makes you eat more in the long-run, rather than less.

It’s your grasping for control — and your inevitable failure at achieving that control — that leaves you frustrated, anxious, ashamed of your perceived “failures,†and therefore, keeps you binge-eating.

That's the circle I become trapped in when I tweak No S. Vanilla S keeps me sane around food.

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:30 pm

Not sure if I fully grasp the entire concept of the "control" issue. I suppose if one was really in control, they would never have any issues about food or exercise. They would just go about their daily existence.

I do know that when I eat the way I should and exercise the way I should, I feel that I am in control - I am the only one who can control what goes into my body or how often and how intense I exercise.

I hate that feeling lying in bed at night and feeling out of control about the day's events. But, of course, I was the only one making the decisions.

Make any sense at all?
Berry

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:57 pm

You are chocked full of sense Berry!

When my mind attempts to "control" food, it goes something like this...

"I'm going to do a 30 day No Sugar challenge"
"No wine for a week"
"No S days for 21 days"

Kind of like that. Control to me usually involves some type of deviation from No S. Which inevitably fails. Which makes me feel bad since I was the one who decided to do whatever the current restriction or mod is at the time.

My brain can get kind of crazy sometimes. Sticking to No S suppresses these tendencies. Even if my S Days are wild, I don't have that cyclical failure cycle in my head.

And that's a good thing!

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:39 am

I like that excerpt you posted. I can definitely relate to it! I'm glad sticking with No S seems to help you.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:05 am

Hi cgal!
Sticking with Vanilla S does work best for me. I just gotta stick with it!

My 2014 resolution was to complete a 21 day Vanilla S Challenge. Tomorrow will be 21 days until Jan 1. I can still complete my resolution!

I was thinking about how I can put a positive spin on all the times I started and stopped No S in 2014.

I think I found one...

In 2014 I was 100% half-assed doing No S!!!!

HA!!!
I'm a glass half full type of gal :)

PS...I am serious about completing a 21 day Vanilla S Challenge in 2014. To increase my odds of success, I'll be traveling for most of the 21 days. I find that if I'm away from home and out of my routine, I'm more apt to have green days. Plus, I like sleeping in hotel rooms!

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:55 am

Good luck! I know you can do it.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:05 am

Thanks for the support Cgal, I need it!

Tomorrow I'm heading to Las Vegas for another half marathon, I think it's the 40th one since 2012. Moderation is tough, I'm definitely an extreme type of gal!

Back soon....

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:10 pm

Wow! I do not know how you keep up your marathon pace. Good for you and enjoy your race!
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:50 pm

Thanks for the support rjean!

The half marathon in Las Vegas was terrific, I had loads of fun.

I think I had an epiphany about my body image. Here's the story..

Since Thanksgiving I've been feeling very bloated. Fat face, muffin top. Berating myself for not doing much about it. About not sticking to Vanilla S, etc, etc...

Fast forward to mile 8 of the half marathon. A fellow runner asked if I would take a photo of herself at a scenic area. I took the pic, then she took a photo of me on my iPod.

I looked at the photo when I got home.

I looked fine. Maybe more than fine, dare I say....kind of athletic!

I've been wasting all this mental energy about how I look when I don't look bad at all!

Today I watched a clip from Oprah. She said that she has made peace with her weight.

That sounds good to me.
I'm going to work on this.

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:42 pm

I think anyone who can complete a half marathon doesn't just LOOK athletic, but IS athletic.

But I totally get the way that it's easy to look at your own body with such unwarranted criticism. And how moving beyond that is a HUGE deal. Hold on to that attitude!

I find that when I am less critical of myself, I am not only happier but more productive in a number of ways... and I find No-S the easiest then.

Best wishes, and congrats on your running! (It really is impressive, you know.)

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:07 am

Thanks for the wise words KCCC.

This week hasn't been Vanilla S. I would label it "Good Enough for the Holiday Season S".

I'm ok with that.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:55 pm

I just registered for my 72 hour race in Phoenix. It begins at 9am on Dec 31 and ends at 9am on Jan 3.

This is the 3rd time I've done this race. It's held on a 1.06 mile loop in Glendale. There is no set goal, everybody does their own thing.

I'm going to try for 100 miles. If I complete 100 miles I get a nifty belt buckle.

Plan B will be 100K. That's what I did last year.

Yipes, it's only 11 days before the start! I better rest

PS..One more observation before I go. I'm noticing all the "diet" books and programs that are being launched before Jan 1. Instead of being tempted to try them, I think to myself "Just another quick fix that won't work long term". :)

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:45 pm

This sounds like a wonderful hike; very cool that you are doing it. My next big one is in June (the Saturday closest to the summer solstice) on the Rachel Carson trail near Pittsburgh PA. It is 36 miles of truly grueling hills and we have from daybreak to sunset to complete it. I love it :) Good luck with yours!!

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:31 pm

Hi gingerpie...I'm happy to see another No S long distance walker is here! :D

On Friday I'm heading over to Phoenix to attend a workshop on Chi Running and Walking. This technique is supposed to give you a more efficient gait. It's supposed to place less stress on your joints. It's based on Tai Chi, I'm looking forward to learning something new.

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:36 am

That sounds so interesting!! Please report back...I've just started doing Tai Chi recently, and love it!

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:29 pm

Hi KCCC..I'll post a report when I get back home from the workshop.

Every Christmas I order books for my husband. This is the first time in forever that I didn't include new "diet" books for myself. The pattern would be that I would read my new purchases before Jan 1. On New Years Day I would proclaim my diet resolutions, usually based on what I had just read. Most of the resolutions didn't make it until Valentines Day. Some didn't even last a week.

Not this year. My dog eared and tattered No S book is the only one on my nightstand.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:57 pm

Speaking of New Year's Resolutions, here's an interesting article..

How to make New Year’s resolutions that actually work out this time.

It’s the time of year when optimism strikes anew and we think to ourselves: our New Year’s resolutions will totally work out this time. Never mind that we abandoned them by Valentine’s Day last year. And the year before. And, well, you know the drill.

But what if this year really could be different?

There’s a science to setting goals. The problem is that it often stays in the ivory tower or gets muddled with misinformation. We called up Kelly McGonigal (TED Talk: How to make stress your friend), a psychologist at Stanford University, and asked her about the best way to set and accomplish a goal, scientifically speaking. Below, she shares four research-backed tips to help you craft and carry out successful goals.

Choose a goal that matters, not just an easy win.
Our brains are wired to love rewards, so we often set simple goals that make it easy to check off boxes. Did you go to the gym today? Check. Did you write in your journal? Check. “It feels really good to set a goal,†says McGonigal. “People often set them just for the burst of optimism they get when they vow to make a change.†But if that’s all our New Year’s resolutions are about, no wonder we end up abandoning them so quickly.

A meaningful goal — one that truly inspires you to change — requires going deeper. “Give yourself permission and time to think about what it is you want to experience in your life or what’s getting in the way,†says McGonigal. Think about what you want in the coming year, then ask yourself why you want that — three times in a row. For example, if you want to quit smoking, ask why do you want to quit? Then, if you want to quit for your health, ask why do you want good health? Then, if your answer is to be alive long enough to meet your grandchildren, ask why do you want to meet your grandchildren? “You get to something that just feels so obviously important to you,†says McGonigal. It really drives home why that goal matters, and that motivation can bolster you as you work toward the goal.

Focus on the process, not the outcome.

When we set goals, it’s easy to fixate on that magical ending when we’ve reached the goal and everything is better. But we can’t control outcomes, and we certainly can’t will them into existence (though this writer has tried, many times). We have to inch toward them, one choice at a time.

“People often get lost thinking they have to change everything all at once,†says McGonigal. “But small changes can pave the way for bigger changes.†Ask yourself, what is the smallest thing I can do today that helps me reach my goal? For example, if you’re shy and you want to be more outgoing, you might accept someone’s invitation to lunch or say hi to someone you usually walk past in the hallway. From there, just follow the breadcrumbs — one small choice after another.

“You can make very, very small changes that are consistent with your big goals without having to understand how you’re going to get to the endgame,†says McGonigal. If you make daily choices that are consistent with your goal over and over again, you will eventually reach it — though it may look nothing like what you expected.

Frame your goals positively.

How you describe your goal makes a big difference. Focusing on what you want to bring into your life — not what you want to avoid — will make you more likely to actually pursue it. “That’s basically just brain chemistry,†says McGonigal. “Any sort of avoidance is going to trigger inhibition systems, whereas positive goals are going to trigger approach and reward motivation.â€

Think about what you want to foster in yourself or what you want to do more often. That positivity can help motivate you when you find yourself slipping. “Saying ‘I don’t want to be fat anymore’ gives you no positive motivation to draw on when you just ate the second box of donuts,†says McGonigal. Be nice to yourself. It works.

Prepare for failure (in a good way).

Moments of failure are inevitable, but most of us abandon the goal entirely when minor failures and setbacks start piling up. We give up on getting fit when we miss the gym, or we forget about losing weight after a night of burgers and milkshakes. “In that moment when you fail, often the first instinct is to push the goal away,†says McGonigal. “It’s so uncomfortable to be in that place of self-doubt or self-criticism and guilt.â€

Your task is not to avoid failures, but to plan for them. Ask yourself, how am I likely to fail? For example, if you’re likely to choose unhealthy meals when you’re hungry, carry a light snack that can tide you over. Psychologists call this an if/then contingency plan, or “if this happens, then I’ll do that.†It’s a mental plan for how you’ll react to things that might trip you up.

When detours and roadblocks come up, remind yourself why your goal matters to you. Those simple reminders about why it’s important can buoy your motivation and keep you headed in the right direction. Who knows, you might just make it past Valentine’s Day this year.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:06 pm

Here's something else that's pretty cool.
It's called "You are the Sculptor of your own body"

http://i.imgur.com/ytzSYFt.jpg

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:17 am

It's only Dec 27 and already 2015 has thrown me a curve ball.

My last couple posts have been focused on committing to Vanilla S. No buying new diet books. No tweaking the rules.

Vanilla S all the way.

Today my husband asked for my support. He joined a Whole30 challenge at work. It begins on Dec 31, in order to stay on track, he wants me to do it with him for January. This is the first time in 34 years he has asked me for help with his diet.

In the 34 years we've been together, he has supported me in lots of crazy diets (pre-No S).

One time I cajoled him into doing a 10 day juice fast with me (he hated it and so did I).

One Thanksgiving, when I was in my vegan period, I served a turkey made out of tofu (he hated it and so did I).

I agreed to do a Whole30 with him, starting on Dec 31. He ate a tofurkey, for cryin' out loud! How could I say no?

No sugar is allowed for the 30 days, maybe this will help corral my sweet tooth.

Yipes...

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:23 pm

Walkelori,
I'd support my husband too. Sometimes it's a case of . . ."you gotta do what you gotta do" :wink: I don't know what a Whole30 challenge is, but I see (at least two) workable scenarios for you.
1) Accept the no sugar as a temporary no-s mod. Personally I stopped eating added sugar 2 our 3 years before I found no-s. It really does change (in a good way) how you taste food. I like no-s because it gives me a sensible way to hande birthdays/holidays etc. But I can honestly say I, in no way, crave sugar anymore. But, it still sometimes looks good and therefore tempting.

2) Follow the challenge but modify it for yourself (not your husband) to allow s-days. You might have to be careful when and where you enjoy your "s" treats so as not to tempt your husband but it's only for 30 days which means only 6 s days to worry about.

Either way, I think you'll come back stronger and who knows, maybe you'll discover something wonderful along the way.

*warning* it takes hours to read all the food labels to find sugar-free products :roll:

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:13 pm

Thanks for the ideas gingerpie!

I like your idea of accepting no sugar as a temporary No S mod.

I was reading up on the Whole30 program, most of the template fits with No S...
-No Snacking
-Eat 3 meals a day

The food is like a paleo diet, no grains, dairy or sugar. The sugar part is the toughest one for me. Oh yeah, no alcohol either.

I'm going to jump in with both feet for my husband. It will be hard on S days but it's only for one month. What the heck.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:14 am

Still reading up on the Whole30 program I'm doing with my husband on Dec 31..

Besides No Snacking and 3 plates of food a day, the instructions are not to weigh yourself or take measurements during the month. I like that it's not focused on lbs lost, just on changing habits. Like No S.

This might not be so bad after all.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:10 pm

I think regarding the program as a temporary experiment actually dovetails everyday systems, if not No S. Doing it as support for such a great husband sounds reasonable. He could ask for a lot worse! YOUR odds are probably better because I think a lot of foods have lost their appeal, no? Then again, men have a better track record of just being able to jettison their worst offenders.

And it isn't as if you can't have ricotta with fruit and nuts, or almond butter and raisins, right? With a little cinnamon? Probably sweeter than much of what a caveman ate!

Do remember, though, that curtailing highly palatable foods can make the urge to overdo them VERY strong when reintroduced. However, if you then DON"T go overboard, it reinforces the brain pattern for moderation in the future.

But you may decide after a month that sweets aren't worth the whole process of acclimating to them. THAT, meaning dropping them because they've lost their appeal rather than because someone swore off them, has a pretty good chance of sustainability.

The experiment continues!

I hope hubby gets some peace with food out of this, too.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:21 pm

Oops! Just looked at the program. Ixnay on the ricotta...

I'm surprised your hubby isn't more curious just to try No S. I feel for him. These programs make so many promises but metastudies on 150 years of these kinds of programs show that they are notoriously unsuccessful in getting people to permanently change their eating habits for all but a very few. And they are often worse than doing nothing at all, if weight is an indicator.

A UCLA metastudy reported that "Another study, which examined a variety of lifestyle factors and their relationship to changes in weight in more than 19,000 healthy older men over a four-year period, found that "one of the best predictors of weight gain over the four years was having lost weight on a diet at some point during the years before the study started"
ttp://newsroom.ucla.edu/releases/Dieting-Does-Not-Work-UCLA-Researchers-7832

But he probably has his heart set on it. Let's hope you can help ameliorate any fallout in the ensuing months and years.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:00 am

Hiya oolala!

Yes, this will be a very interesting January!

Full disclosure, when my husband asked me to join him, I initially said "I don't think so". The bad part of being with someone for 34 years is that he began listing all the times he joined me in all the Pre No S diets I started and stopped. Dang his memory!

It's only one month, I figure I have the remaining 11 months in 2015 to commit to No S. I'm hoping that after 30 days of strict Paleo, No S will be a cinch!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:00 pm

Yeah, you owe him!

Restriction usually makes the pendulum swing for me. In fact, just thinking about Paleo is making cookie dough sound really good! :?

Yet I just had lunch: chicken breast over lettuce, carrot and pepper crudites with a few tablespoons of hummus. Almost paleo.

But I'm going to have a decaf mocha, too.

Keep calm and Whole30/No S on!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:37 pm

Thanks for the support oolala :)

I was thinking about putting my thread on "hiatus" while I'm doing Whole30. It doesn't feel right writing about an extreme diet when we're all about moderation. Upon further reflection, I decided to keep posting. I would miss this community too much!

Tomorrow is Day 1....

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:40 pm

It's Day 1 of Whole30.

I'm sitting at the airport, waiting to go to Phoenix, the 72 hour race begins today.

My plan is to complete 30 miles today. Tomorrow I'll shoot for 40 miles, then finish up with 30 miles on Friday.

The good thing is when I'm walking I won't be tempted to eat any non compliant foods!

Whole30 in a nutshell is...

for 30 days I eat meat,seafood,eggs, lots of vegetables, some fruit and healthy fats.

I'll try and post everyday, the good, the bad and the ugly.

Looks like it's almost time to board, back later...

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:47 pm

Good Luck with both your race and the Whole30. The way you put it, it doesn't sound so bad. Maybe it will be a nice compliment to no-s.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:23 pm

Hi gingerpie!

What's that saying "the best laid plans.."

I'm on day 2 of my 72 hour race.

Yesterday my plan was to complete 30 miles, I ended up doing 33 miles. Problem is my knee. It's swollen, there is no way I can do 40 miles today.

Plan B is to complete a 100K instead of 100 miles. I'll be going slow but it's do-able.

I spoke to my husband this morning. He's joining me in Phoenix for the last day on Friday.

Yesterday was Day 1 of Whole30.
He didn't last 12 hours before he broke the diet!
I wasted all this energy ruminating about doing this diet with him, it didn't even last one day!

I used this opportunity to suggest No S. I've talked about No S before but he was resistant. Now he actually listened!

Failures suck but if it gets my husband to try No S, it was worth it!

I'll update later.
Time to get back to the track and start walking..

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:49 pm

OMgosh, I hope he surrenders to No S, even if he "breaks" it along the way. I was more worried for him than for you. I really believe he'll do a lot less damage by flailing on No S. And I imagine you'd be able to be much more legitimately supportive of his ups and downs.

Not to be too nosy or meddlesome, but you said on another thread that your husband had eaten a whole package of something. I really believe that that kind of habit is best met with the discipline of N days and the freedom on S days. It may not drop as fast as he likes, but the odds are so much better! And who knows, a year or two from now, he may be eating Whole30 style, but it will be by gentle negotiation, not fear and war!

Of course, the Whole30 people will claim otherwise; ask them for their 5-year followups.

I think this is a blessing, and not even in disguise!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:32 am

oolala...Can you come over to my house and talk to my husband? You really have a way with words, I know you could get him to do No S! Or maybe it's because, after 34 years, he tunes me out!

He has the perfect personality for No S, he's an all or nothing type. He is well suited for the discipline of N days and no rules S days. I hope he comes over to our side!

Enough about him, time to talk about me! I'm so happy to return to No S, even though I've only been away for 24 hours. Vanilla S all the way in 2015!

I'm up to 43 miles in my 72 hour race. My knees are barking at me.

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:48 pm

I think it is going to be easy to talk your husband into no-s. If fact, I bet you don't even have to talk. He'll probably follow your lead on no snacks and one plate without even thinking about it. We so often do follow the the behaviors of those around us both for good and ill. If you do have to "talk" a simple, "I'm not eating snacks anymore. I think it helps me eat less." will probably work. In my experience, men(in general) just don't need the same level of discussion as women. They get to the point much sooner :)

Anyway, the best of luck to both of you.

Congrats on finishing your race even if you didn't finish finish it. We don't need perfection anymore remember. 8)

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:07 pm

Hasn't your husband already seen you using No S for quite awhile? Or have you been "modding" so much that he didn't even realize what it was? Or you used to talk about other plans so much that you decided to keep quiet about it?

On another note, hope you keep having fun on this New Year's jaunt!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:38 pm

oolala53 wrote:Hasn't your husband already seen you using No S for quite awhile? Or have you been "modding" so much that he didn't even realize what it was? Or you used to talk about other plans so much that you decided to keep quiet about it
How about all of the above!!!! HA!!!

I'm still walking around the 1 mile track in Phoenix, I'm up to 46 miles. My husband should be here soon. He's joining me for the final 24 hours. He's going to do about 20 miles with me, I'll have lots of time to talk about No S!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:17 am

Thanks for kind of comment. I had a bit of a run in with someone in person this afternoon, so they hit the spot. At least I can fool people online!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:42 pm

Dang, I'm gettin' old! I meant to say "Thanks for your kind comment." !!!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:25 am

Well it's done...I completed 63 miles, which is a 100K. I'm happy with that. It seems more "moderate" than doing 100 miles. And I'm all about moderation for 2015!

There was a thread that was started, asking to pick a one word resolution for 2015.

Moderation is my word.
Because moderation is a tough place for me to stay, I gravitate towards the extreme side of things.

Extreme behaviors usually cause me stress and anxiety.

Take food,for example.

When I'm not following the rules on N days I feel stressed. It doesn't matter what end of the spectrum. If I'm in a "what the hell, I'll eat whatever I want" mood or a "I'm going to do a Whole30 and eliminate dairy" mood. The end result is the same, stress and anxiety.

When I live in the moderation zone, all is fine.

If I can stay moderate most days in 2015, I'll be a happy camper.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:35 pm

Your post concerning the young lady chiseling a new body was great. At first I though the thread caption was from Arnold Schwarzenegger circa 1975 or so. Good luck in 2015.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:30 pm

Hi over43!
2015 good luck back atcha!
Also, I love your signature (Bacon and Bourdain!)

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:41 pm

Moderation isn't the word I picked this year, but it's a good one. I need to be much more moderate in my "shoulds."

I think I know the feeling you mean when you aren't adhering to some precise guideline for N days. Actually, that's the feeling I had when I even considered not being able to binge on S days for my first two years!

If you're husband goes into a funk over not having Whole30 to torture himself with, I gently suggest you tell him to just drop the concern for the month of January. Then you quietly go about your No S business, delighting in your food and being moderate in your expectations about your body- reveling in where it is right now! THEN if he brings up wanting to make changes, see if it's easier to talk about No S. Assure him that even if it's a slow start, as his confidence in his discipline increases, you will support his getting a little stricter, if needed, down the road. Hopefully, he will have noted how much happier and content you are.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:20 am

I have issues with moderation as well. Not surprising I think from someone who enjoys endurance events. Seeing how far we can push ourselves is just part of who we are. Stopping and acknowledging that "where I'm at is good enough" Is somehow harder than pushing on.

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:18 pm

Happy New Year!

I love your word choice. Now you've got me thinking about choosing a word... what fun.

And thanks for the comment on my thread.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:09 am

Hello my No S friends, thank you for stopping by and leaving comments!

oolala...My husband is back to "his way" of eating. That means weighing in once a day, then adjusting his food to according to the number. It works for him so I'm keeping my mouth shut.

gingerpie...moderation is such a struggle for me. It's comforting to know that I'm not the only one who feels they need to "push ourselves to the limit". The good news is that I feel I have somewhat of a filter. For example, at the 72 hour race. There were people who had been walking/running 100 miles A DAY! They were like zombies, barely moving forward but not allowing themselves to stop. It's like an OCD compulsion, I don't want to be like that.

KCCC...I need to write about the Chirunning seminar I attended. I loved it!

Back soon....

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:48 pm

I still predict that your husband will slowly start to pick up no-s from you without even realizing it is happening. My family are all snacking less just because I'm providing fewer opportunities. I outright told my husband I'm trying to drink and eat less in the evenings and that I joined a weight loss challenge at work. He responded bynot automatally offering me wine and snacks. I have to get my own which helps me stay aware and accountable. He also leaves the bag or container in the kitchen so he eats less as well.

Anyway, enjoy the journey.

What's your next race event?

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:20 pm

Hi gingerpie!

I'm happy that your husband supports you. My guy is good too, his way of supporting me is not to say negative stuff, I always appreciate it.

My next race event is a 12 hour in Las Vegas on Valentines Day. My husband is going to do 6 hours with me.

Good luck with your work weight loss challenge. You're going to do great!

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:24 pm

I think I may have finally beat my 3pm snack habit. Well, it least it's tamed.

It's 4:14 pm. Three o'clock passed without even thinking about an afternoon snack.

I'll remain cautiously optimistic.

eschano

Post by eschano » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:07 am

Woohooo!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:38 pm

Good job on conquering the snack habit! I love your 2015 word! Moderation is something I struggle with, as well.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:59 pm

Thanks guys!

I just responded to a thread about weighing yourself.

The scale is such an individual behavior.

My husband weighs himself every morning. He uses the scale as a tool to plan his food and exercise for the day. If he's up, he'll cut back on food and move more. If he's down, he gives himself more of an S day.

He's able to maintain a normal weight range of 3 lbs weighing himself everyday.

If I weighed myself everyday, it would trigger my "diet" brain. I know I would begin obsessing about food again.

I use my pants as my weight barometer. I know I'm carrying some holiday weight gain because my pants aren't fitting too well. Grrrrr...
Instead of freaking out, I know if I stick to Vanilla S, they'll fit again around Valentine's Day.

mitchelll

Post by mitchelll » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:57 am

I find the scale is helpful for me when I was trying to maintain my weight...then I could use as info like your husband does. but when I've gained substantial weight (and it always included stopping daily weighing as well as any other regular measuring indicator), it has always been an awful tool for me when it comes to weight loss. Then, I end up obsessing over the number: if it's lower than expected, it's still never low enough and triggers over eating and if it varies upward, I freak out and overeat.

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:07 am

That's so true that it's individual. Not only that, it also depends on the phase. Sometimes I need to weigh myself daily and sometimes that leads to diet head and diet sabotage.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:35 am

I appreciate your comments eschano and mitchell.

I had a long drive today, lots of time to think.

Judging on the way my pants fit (or don't fit) and the way I feel, I'm guessing that I gained around 10 lbs during the holidays. Maybe a bit more.

If I had weighed myself daily, or even once a week, I would have put the brakes on after 4 or 6 lbs.

I probably could have been comfortable in my skin within a week or two. Now it's going to be a much longer time.

Maybe stepping on the scale at regular intervals is a good tool after all. Like I said, my husband has maintained his normal weight for years.

Decisions, decisions...

In the meantime, I'm focusing on cementing the Vanilla S habits. 2015 is the year I'm making them stick.

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:45 pm

I'm finding I have to weigh regularly. If I don't, for whatever reason I get complacent in my eating, and I gain weight. Regular weighing helps keep me accountable.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:49 pm

Hi Cgal...
I may begin a monthly weigh-in. My holiday weight would have been contained if I would have stepped on the scale occasionally.

Now I'm only wearing stretch pants and I'm pissed off.

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:43 am

Hi walkerlori,

Isn't it weird how quickly the pounds go on? Sometimes in my less rational periods I worry about how I'm going to be able to manage the maintenance part when the time comes and I'm imagining that my scale will play a vital role in the process. Of course, I have to get there first.

In the meantime: vanilla no-s for the win! !

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:54 pm

Hi gingerpie,
This is the time of year that I have to remind myself to "Keep Calm and No S On". Carrying extra weight gets my brain wanting to GET IT OFF FAST! I'm resisting the urge.

It's been a crazy couple weeks, work-wise. I've been traveling almost every day. As I type, I'm sitting in the airport, waiting to fly to Phoenix for the week.

One of the benefits of No S is it's versatility. I can be on the road and still do No S. No special foods or equipment. Once, during my juicing phase, I would travel with a blender!

This week I'll be working with a co-worker. I don't have to announce that I'm on a "diet".

If I don't follow the No S rules, it's entirely on me.

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:38 pm

Hi Walkerlori,

I posted a reply to your question about sugar on my thread but I forgot to mention that I did have a significant sugar weakness. I'm not sure how much sugary junk I ate in a day but I know that it was always impossible to keep sweets of any kind in the house. Cookies and ice cream were the worst offenders but we had cakes and pies at least once a week as well.

Anyway, I just wanted to mention this to give you a clear picture. Honestly, you are probably doing the same with No-s as I did without. Set your goal- try to meet it- if you fail, try again tomorrow and don't ever stop trying. Eventually you'll get it.

Regards,
Virginia

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:19 pm

Walker Lori, I agree 100 percent! I love how versatile No S is. I also really love the fact that you don't have to tell anyone you're on a diet, and that it's entirely up to you, how much you follow No S. Yes, I hear you about wanting to get the weight off quickly! Slow and steady is the way to go.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:08 am

Thanks for the comments Cgal and Gpie! I love it when you stop by and say hi :)

I'm making a goal of posting on N days in February. I need to establish a regular posting habit. Since February is only 28 days, it's a good month to start!

I'm happy to report that Groundhog Day was a successful N day. Funny how some days, sticking to the rules is easy, other days it's a battle.

Tomorrow night I'll be out of town for work. Those days are the easiest.
I guess it's because I'm out of my routine. I need to schedule travel for 3 weeks in a row to complete a 21 day Vanilla S challenge!

eschano

Post by eschano » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:14 am

Well, apparently groundhog day is a sign about how the year will go, isn't it? It might be breezy this year ;)
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:06 pm

Hi eschano,
The irony is that I referenced Groundhog Day but I don't know if he saw his shadow or not. Judging from your comment I will assume Spring will be early and we'll have a terrific 2015! WOOHOO!!!

Today is another N day. I'm working out of town. If I want to have a red day I have to go to the grocery store to buy it. Lucky for me, once I'm in my hotel room, I'm not moving much.

Soon I'll be in bed early, watching mindless cooking shows. Hooray for The Food Network!

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:06 am

That's a good idea to post more often on N days! I'll be posting more often too! I imagine it's very easy to stay on track, when you're traveling for work. I don't think I would want to venture out of my hotel room just to buy sweets, either.

Lovedby2

Lovedby2

Post by Lovedby2 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:03 am

Hi WalkerLori! I think the groundhog saw his shadow. Doesn't that mean we have a longer winter? i dunno...I'm still just trying to pronounce his name! DH keeps me informed. Wow!! You joined in 2008? That is amazing and encouraging that No S really works. It is a great reminder when I get impatient and want to try a quick weight loss diet. You know the ones. They cost you money, time and mental sanity. thanks for sticking around. :lol:
Always learning.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:13 am

Quick N Day post before I hike with my husband...

Welcome Lovedby2! Yep, I've been a No S'er since 2008. Some years better than others. This is such a supportive community, you're going to like it here!

Hi Heather (aka Cgal).

Another successful N Day. I think that posting everyday is keeping me on track.

Gotta go...

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:05 am

I had a terrific day at work, lots of accolades for a project I completed.
Some unexpected money is coming my way.

Today was a great day.

This N day was a red day.

Wait, what? Why would I veer off course when everything went so well today? Even the weather was perfect.

Why?

Maybe because I'm an emotional eater. I celebrate good days with food. And I comfort myself with food on bad days.

I'll keep working on changing the habit..

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:43 am

Congratulations on the great day. Isn't nice when life falls into place?

Today was a huge fail for me also. Worst one in months. Well as someone wise once said. . . Keep calm and no-s on .

eschano

Post by eschano » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:11 am

delighted for you about the money. It's also good to know yourself. Celebrating with food is fine - just celebrate on S days ;)
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:23 pm

Thanks for the supportive comments my No S pals!

The good news is that I picked myself up and am back on a successful N day path. In the past, if I had a red N day, the rest of the week would be red.

Lovedby2

Lovedby2

Post by Lovedby2 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:36 pm

I know, right? I like to sabotage my diet when things go well too!! Amazing how food means so many things to us humans. But you are doing so well!! The running thing is such and accomplishment. You should be very proud of the intestinal fortitude that it takes to do what you do. Have a green day today. :lol:
Always learning.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:07 pm

Thanks for saying I have intestinal fortitude Lovedby2!

Time to go to kettlebell class....

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:30 pm

Another N day that's a SUCCESS

I'm giving myself some smiley faces
:D :D :D :D

Lovedby2

lovedby2

Post by Lovedby2 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:41 am

Woohoo!! Gotta love the green!! :lol:
Always learning.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:25 pm

Hi Lovedby2...Green days rock!

One more green day has been added to my success chain.

And now a word about HabitCal....

Keeping my HabitCal has been a very useful tool to see patterns in my food. For example, most weeks start green. If a red day occurs, it's always toward the end of the week.

I need to build an extra sturdy fence around the rules later in the week.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:39 pm

Red day.

I may need to bring back WIDRT (What I Did Right Today). Lately I seem to be focusing on the failures and not the successes of my daily life. I'm my harshest critic, I need to turn it around.

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:39 am

Walkerlori,

I'm a steadfast believer in acknowledging what is right. We really don't do that enough. I hope you are able to get your positive energy back soon.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:09 pm

Thanks for the support gingerpie!

I'm happy to report that my positive mojo is back.

Tomorrow I leave for Las Vegas. I'm doing a 6 hour race on Saturday. My husband is doing it with me, what a way to spend Valentines Day!

I'm not bringing my laptop. I'll be back home Monday with a race report.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:32 am

Back home!

Actually, not home, I'm in a hotel room for work. Tomorrow I get to sleep in my own bed.

The 6 hour race in Las Vegas was hot! The temps were in the 80's. I had fun though, my husband, not so much. The course was a 2 mile loop. There was no shade so we were pretty sweaty. We ran/walked for about a 3 hours, then mostly walked the remainder of the time. We ended up doing about 22 miles.

My next race is a half marathon in 3 weeks.

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:19 am

I'm glad you had fun in your race! 80 degrees is definitely hot!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:46 am

I missed for a few weeks. the weight scale issue is old news. but I want to say, just consider that instead of checking in with a scale during the holidays, check in with appetite and hunger a little more, just out of curiosity and honesty. I bet if you got used to doing that, calmly, no drama, it would put the brakes on, too. I mean, in the end, you're going to do the same thing: stop eating so much, right?

But I also have a feeling most women would kill to look like you do ten pounds up. :)
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:21 pm

I've been reading the writing of Wallace Wattles. He wrote book over a hundred years ago called "The Science of Being Well".

Here's an excerpt..

Appetite is often largely a matter of habit. If one eats or drinks at a certain hour, and especially if one takes sweetened or spiced foods, the desire comes regularly at the same hour. This habitual habit should never be mistaken for hunger.

Hunger is not caused by sleep, but by work. You must never eat until you have an earned hunger.

I like this concept of earning your hunger. The advice is over 100 years old but it holds up!

PS....Hi Cgal and oolala :)

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:35 am

That is some great advice!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:47 am

walkerlori, you would have made a great Spartan woman!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:41 pm

Cgal and Oolala...I get so happy when you stop by my thread. I appreciate all your comments!!

Here come 5 smileys coming your way..
:D :D :D :D :D

Walter Wattles also said to live your life The Strong Way. I love that motto.

I want to earn my hunger and live The Strong Way.

eschano

Post by eschano » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:10 am

Love that quote! Thanks for sharing :)
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:57 pm

Hi eschano!

I'm continuing my quest to earn my hunger and live The Strong Way.

Tomorrow I head to Las Vegas to do a half marathon on Saturday.

I'm going to add 2 intermittent fasting days per week. Fasting isn't very hard for me. I actually like the break from thinking about food. My typical fasting day lasts from after dinner to dinner. That way I can look forward to eating one meal on a fasting day.

Hmmm..not much more to say. Back with a race report next week.

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:06 am

Hey Walkerlori,

I've been missing you!! glad to hear you are doing well and living strong :) Off again so soon to another race? I'm totally jealous. I'm still training for my summer solstice hike but it is really cold and unpleasant around these parts. Hopefully, that will be coming to an end soon and my walk/runs will be bit more enjoyable.

good luck with your race.

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:16 am

I love that, about living the strong way! I hope your race went well. Thanks, by the way! :D

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:08 am

!!!!!!!!!

I gave myself some exclamation points because I deserve it!

!!!!!!!!!

Since my last post I've been "digging deep". Exploring why I haven't been able to stick to Vanilla S for 21 days. Despite "trying" since 2008.

Let's do the math. I've failed at Vanilla S for almost 7 freakin' years.

7 years!

After numerous experiments. my conclusion is that I can't handle sugar. Even on S days. This is very sad news but in a way, it feels liberating.

Not all is bleak. I can have desserts on S days that are made with stevia or xylitol without a problem. I can eat a portion, enjoy it and then move on.

Weaning off of processed sugar was a bitch. But I think I'm over the hump.

I've also stopped mentally berating myself for my past bad decisions. My new mantra is "I regret nothing". All the ups and downs and detours have brought me to where I am today. And today is pretty damn good.

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:24 am

OMG!!!!!!! I'm giving you exclamation points too :!: :!: :!:

I hate sugar and am so happy I gave it up. It only gets
Easier as you go along.

lin47

Post by lin47 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:28 pm

walkerlori, I've been reading over your initial and some of your past posts, and in many, many ways we are alike---e.g., the many tries at NoS (I'm so encouraged by the fact that you keep at it---it inspires me!), the head games that happen when I weigh myself, the trap of eating what is "good" for me rather than what I want (ALWAYS backfires), etc. Finally, IF is something I've been trying in conjunction with NoS. When I can, I've been having just brunch and dinner (so, usually a 16 hour fast since my husband and I eat dinner between 4 - 5 p.m.). It hasn't worked out every time, and if I do have something between brunch and dinner, I figure I'm still within the NoS guidelines.

I have 10 lbs that I'm just aching to put a dent in before summer. Even 5 lbs gone would make me feel better. I vacillate between wanting to get the weight off and reminding myself that establishing the habit is more important.

Anyway, please keep posting. Your posts are fun to read!

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:08 pm

Hi gingerpie! Your thread gave me the kick in the pants needed to finally quit moderating sugar. My husband can eat a slice of pie and get on with his day. Me, not so much.

Hi lin47! Thanks for reading my ramblings. I do IF too and it's very easy for me. Again, it depends on the person. My husband has to eat first thing in the morning. My current IF method is eating my meals in a 6 hour window, usually from 1pm to 7pm. I don't want to get too obsessed with the exact time but most days it works out to eating lunch then stopping after dinner. Thanks to No S, I kicked my nightly snack habit so no food after dinner is not too hard.

I've been traveling most weeks for work. This morning I took a kettlebell class, the first one in a week. It kicked my butt! I need to start traveling with my kettlebells again.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:25 pm

Yesterday was March 20, the first day of spring.

Perfect time for a new challenge. Wait for it...... It's a...

NO SUGAR SPRING!

Boom!!

Here's the small print. No sugar will mean the real stuff that jacks up my insulin and makes me crave lots of it. Stevia and xylitol is ok.

Let's see how it goes. I'm on Day 2 without a problem.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:01 pm

My No Sugar Spring began on March 20. Summer officially begins on June 20.

Between these dates I have lots of activities. Among them is my birthday, 2 half marathons out of town and a week long work convention in California.

Lots to do but no sugar will be shoved in my mouth.
Last edited by LoriLifts on Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:06 pm

I'm working out of town all week.

Before I went to my hotel, I stopped at my favorite burger place to get some food to go (cheeseburger, no bun with a side of brussels sprouts).

The burger place is in the same parking lot as THE BEST GELATO shop. The gelato is imported from Italy, it's fabulous.

I averted my eyes, no gelato for me. It's loaded with sugar and besides, it's an N day.

I picked up my to go order and high-tailed it back to my hotel.

Whew...