KCCC - Back again

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

kccc

KCCC - Back again

Post by kccc » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:00 pm

I've been away from this forum for a while, but am coming back. Hi everyone! ::waves::

Short synopsis of time away... had injured my foot, and was quite bummed by the extent to which it curtailed exercise for quite a long time. Eventually found alternate exercises, not quite as good as walking, but okay. Gained a little, lost most of it. S-habits pretty much in place. Figured the few pounds I'd put on were the result of exercise changes, and would go away when my foot was better. Got involved in another online group and just didn't spend much time here.

Well, the foot is mostly better, enough so that I can walk again if careful. But I've gotten totally derailed on eating properly, thanks to two back-to-back conferences where I was not in control of my eating followed by kid birthday and Halloween. I'm at the very high end of my BMI range (153 this morning) and my habits are not in place. And the holidays are coming.

So... back for a 21-day challenge. This is Day One. :)

finallyfull

Post by finallyfull » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:16 pm

Welcome back to sanity and enjoyment!

Sorry about the foot!

eschano

Post by eschano » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:59 pm

Welcome back KCCC! I am delighted to see you back here. Your phases of NoS are unbeatable advice. Your and Oolala's posts have saved my days from becoming red days more often than you'll ever know.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:23 pm

Welcome back, KCCC. I'd been wondering where you were.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:47 pm

Good to see you. :wink:
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

carolz

Post by carolz » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:16 pm

eschano wrote:Welcome back KCCC! I am delighted to see you back here. Your phases of NoS are unbeatable advice. Your and Oolala's posts have saved my days from becoming red days more often than you'll ever know.
Ditto! I am back to No S after yet another detour into Diet Land (WW yet again - when will I learn) and love your Phases of No S post and oolala's inspiring posts as well. I feel so much better and more in control when I'm doing vanilla No S - I need to keep that in mind the next time I'm tempted to try something else.

la_loser

Yea!

Post by la_loser » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:12 pm

I am so glad to see you back. Although I knew about your foot, I was worried that we might see you anytime soon. You have always had such a huge positive presence on this board that you have truly been missed. Luckily Wosnes and Oolala and Bright A have stepped up, among a few others of course, to be the voices of reason.

Hope you continue to recover. I know how you feel-even being nearly a year out on my new knees, doing traditional exercise, even walking, causes issues. Hang in there-you're one of the young ones, at least compared to some of us!

Take care and see you here often!

b
LA Loser. . . well on my way to becoming an LA Winner. :lol:

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:42 pm

Welcome back!
:D :D :D
Habits are at first cobwebs, then cables.

jw

Post by jw » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:36 am

Phases of No S sticky! You are famous around here! Wonderful to see you active on the boards!
"The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective." -- El Fug

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:43 am

Hi there! Nice to see you, feel like I know you, thanks to all your fab posts! jw and I are in the "newer" generation and we sure look up to you! :)

You're famous!
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/18-25.6; 8/18-24.5; 10/18-23.8;
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
6/20-22.5; 7/20-23.0; 9/20-23.6
4/21 - 25.2

jw

Post by jw » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:43 am

I was just thinking, all the upperclassmen came out for KCCC's post -- we're the freshmen! (Teachers: Do they even say that anymore? Or is it all Grade 9, grade 12 these days?)

Anyway, yes -- you all are our role models!
"The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective." -- El Fug

vmsurbat

Post by vmsurbat » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:20 am

Welcome back, KCCC!

So sorry to hear about your foot. It is always a bit discouraging to be confronted with obstacles on our quest for good health.

I hear you on needing to get back to basics.... Even after five years with NoS success, I still need to regularly reread the book and repeat my mantras:

one=done (Seconds is my downfall)
more=sore (see above)
right=light (If I eat the right amount, I feel light and energetic, not heavy and lethargic)

and my one claim to fame: Mark it and move on.... :D

It is good to have you back!
Vicki in MNE
7! Yrs. with Vanilla NoS, down 55+lb, happily maintaining and still loving it!

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:23 am

I'm very happy to see you back here! Your encouragement and advice have been invaluable to many members. Your return also shows that no matter how much practice and experience you have at NoS, life can get hectic/difficult, and keeping up with diet is no longer a priority. And then all you need to do is return to the flock, and start over. This is a good, honest message to all newbies... and not only newbies.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:26 pm

Glad to hear foot issues are improving.

This is perfect because I've had two epic fails in the last two days. I hope I'm not kidding myself when I gave in because I felt I just wanted to get it out of my system. I know the urges will be there for the rest of the week, but it's time to stare them down.

Onward!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:43 pm

Wow, everyone! Thanks so much for the warm welcome! I've always thought this was one of the nicest corners of the internet, and I see that hasn't changed.

I'm afraid to name names, because I'll leave someone out, but it's SO nice to see familiar folks here. Glad some of the regulars are still around.

For the "freshmen"... I lol'd at being "famous"! (Kind of like that Mel Brooks movie - I think "The Producers"? - where they comment about a pair of actors "You've never heard of them? They're world-famous in Poland!") I'm famous in No-S. How cool is that?

I am happy to report that Day 1 was right on target. The support from this group offers just the "habit re-boot" I was needing!

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:00 pm

Day 2: SUCCESS

It feels so good to be back on track.

Looking back... I wasn't on No-S for a while because the foot issues (along with other life changes) were rather consuming. I was pretty much on habit... weight went up until I found other options, and I had to monitor "what was on my plate" more closely for a while (and yes, I counted for that) because I still wasn't getting the same level of activity. Then it went back down, and stabilized only a little higher than it had been. I hung out at 148 for a while, and was good with that as long as the habits were stable. And... I had found another internet-group of nice people based around a hobby, and was using my online hang-out time there.

That worked fine... until last month. I think I spent about 21 days UN-learning my good habits, and re-building the snack/sweet habit!! First, two back-to-back conferences that provided meals... not things I would choose, mind you... and had POUNDS of candy lying around All.The.Time. Followed by Halloween, and then my son's birthday party. (His b'day is ON Halloween, but we celebrated it the day after because kids are not available on Halloween.) The S-days in between these events were the wildest I've had in a while...

The scale shot up, and on Monday, I didn't automatically go back to my solid No-S. Oops! Warning, Wil Robinson. Time to take corrective action. Get support. Learn from this experience.

The good news is that habit is easier to RE-build than it is to initially build.

As far as "lessons learned"....I can see where the situation de-railed me. In terms of normal habits, my MOST helpful strategy is to create an N-friendly environment for myself. For example, I have pretty much eliminated "food cues" in my home. No candy jars sitting out - in fact, only a bowl of fruit. I cook most meals, and I plan things-I-like (mostly healthy, because I like a lot of healthy food, but not always). All of that works to make the behavior-I-want = the behavior-of-least-resistance.

But when my environment changes... well. I can resist relatively short exposures to "food cues," but extended ones are trouble. Once I broke down at the conferences, I went wild. To use my "elephant" metaphor from the discussion board, I went on a rampage. So... the usual strategy I have is good (really, very good!) in daily life, but I need to develop some back-up strategies for environments-I-don't-control.

But first... 21 days on habit. That's the starting point. Two down! :)

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:58 pm

Aaaand.... Day three: RED

Technically red. Minor-ly red. I-could-let-it-slide-red. But since my primary goal here is to re-build habit, I'm going to be "fence around the law" strict on this.

What happened: We had a bread that I particularly like at dinner - olive bread from Trader Joe's. I didn't take as much as I wanted because I was sharing out what was left of the loaf. Kiddo didn't eat his, so I snagged it. It wasn't until I was savoring the last crumb that I thought "Doofus! That was seconds!"

Had to laugh at myself. I didn't even see that I was taking seconds until after the fact!

WIDRT ("What I did right today," stolen with both hands from LoriWalker's thread): I didn't go into a "I've blown it anyway" tizzy. I did count it, so that I could learn from it. And I made sure to get my exercise in. (I'm back to doing 10,000 steps on my pedometer - which makes me so happy! - and I was a bit short in the evening. So I marched around the house a while.)

So I get to start over today. But that's a good lesson too. Just because I've Been-Here-Done-That does NOT mean I can swan in and be perfect in one go. It just means I know what to do when I make a mistake: Mark it and move on. And maybe learn something.

C'mon, elephant. It's another day of training for you!

jw

Post by jw » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:06 pm

That elephant loves some olive bread, eh! It is so easy to do -- but I do think strict is the way to go, until you're solidly back in the groove, KCCC.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:11 am

Hi KCCC,
If you came to my house on nights we have bread with dinner, you would be laughing at the size of the bread I take. I have had way too many situations where my kids' bread is sitting there, uneaten, and mine is gone and I want more!! So I plan ahead for this and put an indecently sized piece of my plate. :)
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:34 pm

Automatedeating (love the name, btw!), I totally would have taken more if I'd thought we had enough! That olive bread is yummy!

Day 1a: Success

That's pretty awesome, because Day 2 and 3, being S-days, are "in the bag," so to speak. So I will have a lot of incentive on Monday to keep the chain going!

I have been playing with the "elephant" and "committee" metaphors, and finding them useful and sort of fun. I'm picturing my elephant as having the same non-verbal communication skills as my dog (and similar pleading "listen to me" eyes). Believe me, that dog can communicate! I know when he's happy, when he wants me to play or go for a walk or feed him... and when he is doing what I say, but with great unhappiness.

If I pay attention, my "elephant" is the same way. Example: We have a lot of apples, and I've been eating them... and am a bit tired of them, even though I like them. When I reached for one at lunch (after having had one at breakfast), I realized the elephant did not want yet another apple. The dejection felt like when I call my dog for a bath... "do I hafta?" Uh no. There's canned-in-juice fruit, and even though I try to eat "fresh first", it's an option.

I think watching for those little places where resistance begins will really help me in the long run.

Kittykat150

Post by Kittykat150 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:00 pm

Funny you should mention this, KCCC. I just came home from food shopping and had a similar "I am tired of apples" experience. I bought individual serving size cups of natural applesauce with cinnamon and a bag of dried apricots to supplement my fresh fruit. Both of these are choices, I have been trained by diets to believe, are "lesser" quality. But I needed a change. And thinking of applesauce or dried apricots as a treat as opposed to Snickers bars is quite the victory! Fruit in a can?....you go for it!
Kat
:wink:
"Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn." -Harriet Beecher Stowe

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:34 pm

Monday morning!

S-days were not the best, but I'm not focusing on them right now. They also could have been worse.

Just here to "set intention" for Day 4 of 21. Planning to keep the chain intact!

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:42 am

Day 4: Success. (Assuming I don't blow it between now and bedtime.)

It was actually good that I set my intention early in the day, because I met some challenges. Had a group meeting, and someone brought home-made PB cookies. I didn't eat them at the meeting (or any of the other snacks), but took one home to my son. When he ate it, I allowed myself about a quarter-inch square piece as a taste.

Legitimate tastes are okay in my world, but they are strictly defined: a taste is a quarter-to-half-teaspoon of food (or equivalent chunk), for the purposes of reporting back ("why, that was so good!") or making decisions ("think I'll buy that" or "think it needs more basil"). So that one bit was okay.

However, I then reached for another crumb and popped it into my mouth... and realized that I'd crossed out of "taste" territory. So I spit it out, before I'd even chewed. I'm calling that a victory.

I am done for the evening, and the kitchen is closed. Tomorrow's breakfast and lunch are packed, and dinner is planned. Moving on to Day 5!

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:44 am

Hi KCCC, I hope that PB cookie was just terrible tasting, at least. :)
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:31 pm

Actually, it was delicious. If I hadn't started Monday with determination to "keep the chain going", I would have caved. So I'm proud of myself for not

Reminding myself that "this is about habit" is very effective. I don't want to make a habit of letting little things derail me.

Monday was good, Tuesday (Day 5 of 21) on track so far.

keep on going NMW

Post by keep on going NMW » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:25 am

Hi KCCC!
Funny about the cookie. I cannot believe how often I just randomly pop tastes of things I to my mouth, even while cooking I have to ask things like are you legitimately having the flavors or just eating for the sake of eating. It is really eye opening.

I "get"
Your apple story too I have tons and tons of those darn cuties at my house now. And for some reason I decided to eat a can of mandarins in juice. I can't say how delicious I thought they were even though they were basically the same thing!
I am training for a marathon, not a sprint!
Start weight 179
Dec 17 2013..177.8

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:53 pm

Day 5 was a Success. On to Day 6!

And I have a slightly sore throat. Very slight... but I think some hot tea would be a good idea today. And some sort of comfort food, because it's cold here.

Mentioned on Automaticeating's thread that my exercise habits are pretty good right now, and really, they are. Because I had to pay attention to figure out "what CAN I do?" when my foot was messed up (and because I now have more non-work time in my life as well), I now have pretty strong exercise habits. What I do changes according to the season and my general life. While I was in a "boot," I joined the Y and did water aerobics. However, I don't really like getting wet in the middle of the day, especially in winter, so when I graduated from the boot I moved to a Pilates class. I'm still doing that - it's VERY good - two or three days a week. Sometimes I sub a gentle Yoga class, or a home routine for the class. On the two days I go to work, I do the exercise bike and abs. And on top of that, I get 10,000 steps most-but-not-all days. (Weekly average currently running at 9,400). So, I usually exercise at least 5 days a week, sometimes more.

And now it's time for my class.

I haven't yet figured out the day's meals, and need to address that soon. Not something to leave to chance.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:39 pm

Wow I'm impressed with your exercise routine. That's something I'm really struggling with right now. I have really bad bone spurs so struggling with foot issues too. It's good to know there's still plenty of options.

Hope your throat doesn't turn into something serious!

Linda
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:05 pm

Day 6 - Success

Oddly, I dreamed about No-S last night... or rather, No-S was part of it. I think because I read a little of the No-S book before going to sleep. In my dream, I was working in a converted house. As part of my job. I had puzzles spread out in what would have been the dining room, and there were a group of workers around a table in what was once the living room, compiling papers and such (reminded me of the mail room at my first job). They had all kinds of donuts and crap at their table, and told me they brought them every day. I told myself "Do NOT get started with that junk!" I was also moving my stuff into a set of drawers, and coming across all kinds of junky food - "crinkly-package stuff" and was debating giving it to the workers or just tossing it... then I saw a candy bar I rather like, started to eat it, remembered that I didn't want to break my chain, and set it aside for Saturday.

Maybe my subconscious is getting the message about junk food? I woke up laughing at myself.

Anyway... on to Day 7!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:10 pm

That's funny! I've had so many dreams where I'm breaking the NoS rules. I guess it just shows how important this is to us!

Linda
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:10 am

Yes, I've had dreams like that too, and I have to agree with Linda... it must be some sort of a sign that we are putting forth a great deal of frontal lobe focus on these habits!
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:33 pm

Day 7: Success

It was a bit unsettled in terms of eating, but okay. I took my lunch, but forgot the bread that was to go in it (I don't like putting bread in the fridge - it gets hard). Without it, the lunch was kind of light and not very filling... so I opted to go to the dining hall instead.

I ate "one plate" at the dining hall, but had trouble finding anything that looked good to me. That's the first time that's happened... finally settled on a pasta dish and salad. Okay, not stellar.

In the evening, our son had a school thing and we had to leave early. This was a work day for me, and I have a long commute, so I called and told them to eat without me. I did a bit of virtual-plating... ate my "lunch" on the way home (in the car) and finished up the bread-that-should-have-been-in-it when I got home, right before turning around and heading to the school.

So, a bit frantic, but "legal."

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:52 pm

Made it through Day 8 - Friday - but with difficulty. Just a busy day, full of ups and downs, and I just wanted to eat. But I didn't.

So now I get two S-days for "free", and will be up to 10.

Which actually adds a bit of pressure... so it was startlingly apropos to read in the book today the recommendation to "try it for a month rather than a string of days" exactly so the pressure doesn't build!

With that in mind, I may not continue to count the number of days, and just go day-by-day instead. We'll see.

For my S-days, my intent is...
- As many sweets as I want as part of my meal (Save room for dessert!)
- Ditto seconds
- One snack each day, whatever I want.

This isn't at all about restriction, it's about experience. I'm reminding myself that this is what I enjoy MOST on S-days. I don't really like grazing all day, and I don't feel good about it when it's over.

So today...

- Banana and 1.5 donuts for breakfast (meant to have two, but got full and threw away the last bit)
- Pizza and salad at lunch, with THREE slices of pizza (I split a 10" with someone)
- Homemade chocolate pudding for snack, still warm. Have more for dinner dessert if I like.
- Dinner- TBD. I have rigatoni already made, just needs heating, but am free to make other choices. There's some sliced ham and spinach, which would make a great wrap.

I like having choices.

kccc

Post by kccc » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:00 pm

I did have the ham-and-spinach wrap for dinner, with chocolate pudding for dessert. Very good. And then I closed the kitchen, as usual.

I am QUITE pleased with how yesterday went in terms of eating, and hope to do something similar for today. It felt indulgent and satisfying and NOT "icky". (Grazing usually ends up feeling icky to me.)

However... after my earlier bragging about exercise... I had two days (Fr/Sat) where I fell off the exercise wagon. Friday was so busy that I didn't make my Pilates class, and I also didn't make my 10,000 steps (about 7,00). Saturday was the same, though I made 9500 steps (sooo close... but I wasn't paying enough attention to get those last ones).

Planning to get my steps today, and "fifteen minutes of anything".

Setting intention...

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:38 pm

You have inspired me to start additional exercise to my walking. I downloaded an app that has eight short ballet/pilates workouts (lots of plies).
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

keep on going NMW

Post by keep on going NMW » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:34 pm

I like how you talk about the expierience, opposed to restriction. Something to ponder for me. Have an excellent Sunday!!!!!
Start weight 179
Dec 17 2013..177.8

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:59 pm

Well, Sunday was pretty much as planned, except for exercise. Bad weather plus a cold grounded me.

And by Monday, I was really truly sick and craved toast and hot tea all day. So that's pretty much what I had.

Today is Tuesday, and I'm well enough to work-from-home. We'll see how the day goes.

Some days are just like that. I'll pick up when I can.

finallyfull

Post by finallyfull » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:59 pm

I am so glad you are sharing this, because since this is always "during" and never "after" -- one might imagine that you were done and on No S perfectly forever.

I think this re-boot, hopefully, will return you to the well-dug habit.

I wonder if you can reflect on what you disliked about your No S hiatus? Weight aside, I think it would help me to read about what was negative about it. In other words: what's it like for you in "free for all land" and why didn't you stay there? Was it just weight? Are you happier now, even in month one, or were you happier then?

Just digging for wisdom, if you're up for it. :)

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:00 pm

Finallyfull, being away from the forum didn't mean I was away from this way of eating... just that I was cocky enough to think I could do it on my own! And since my foot issues were taking up a lot of mental energy and time (plus I had an exciting new hangout, where I knew some folks IRL), I just wasn't around here.

I came back for support when I had wa-ay too many exceptions in a row, and was struggling to get back on habit. You can undermine long-term habits in 21 days as well as create them!

I guess you always have to shore up the positive habits you want in your life, and guard against the negative ones.

I genuinely LIKE the No-S diet - don't even think of it as a diet. It's just how I prefer to eat now. When I'm doing No-S, I have a better relationship with food in general. I enjoy baking on the weekends; I enjoy planning delicious meals during the week. I accept that food is a legitimate source of pleasure, and that I'm allowed to enjoy it. And I don't get hung up on perfection, just "mark it and move on" when I have a failure.

When I drift off, I eat more and enjoy less. I start feeling desperate about food, how much I'm eating, etc. I have wild S-days (which are actually pretty awful-feeling) and feel at war with myself.

So, I'm here for the support, and for the reminders about why I choose to eat this way, and to focus my attention on re-building the habit that I know works. I came back before I'd gained a lot of weight (maybe 5 lbs?); the "trigger" was when I saw habit slipping.

And I'm still learning about what works for me. As Bright Angel sometime says, "we are all experiments of one". Part of the reason that I stay on habit so well at home is that I keep a "no-s friendly environment". But I need to build my coping skills for times when I'm in a non-friendly environment for an extended period of time. (I can usually do a day or two, but once I break, it's a total car wreck!) The next time I go to a conference where I know I will be fed by the organizers and there will be tons of candy out all the time, I need a PLAN in advance.

keep on going NMW

Post by keep on going NMW » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:17 am

Your last post was so insightful. I particularly liked " I eat more and enjoy less"

Lots of good stuff! Hope you continue to feel better.
Start weight 179
Dec 17 2013..177.8

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:39 pm

Thanks, Keep On Going NMW.

Yesterday I was back on habit as far as eating. Success - don't remember the day. Exercise still off - wasn't feeling well enough.

One of the sick days turned into a wild day. I am noticing more of a tendency to "wreck the car" than I used to have. And certainly there was some "poor me, I deserve..." thinking. But that is done. Notice, with curiosity and compassion, and move forward.

Today I went to the gym before work. Not my full workout, but something. And something is better than nothing.

Babysteps will take me where I want to go. Just keep moving in the right direction.

Yesterday can be Day 1. Or 100001. Doesn't matter so much - it's just the next day in the chain.

finallyfull

Post by finallyfull » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:42 pm

Thank you for replying -- sometimes I find it more helpful to hear what people hate about regular disordered eating than what's good about No S. These message boards have plenty of people struggling with the No S guidelines, but I gravitate toward diatribes on the downside of lawlessness. Sometimes I tend to look more toward reaching some "goal" rather than just appreciating the fact that, despite it's rules, on No S I have escaped a certain kind of misery.

Anyway, thank you for all of your inspiring stuff. :)

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:06 pm

Finallyfull, I'm glad if anything in my experience helps you. I certainly draw inspiration from others on this board. And actually, writing the answers to questions like that helps ME clarify my own thinking, so it's useful to me.

On Thursday, I got my "steps" in as well as the mini-workout and a good S-day. That made me feel as if I was truly on the mend, despite the lingering congestion. It's funny how sometimes you can have minimal symptoms and feel very "sick" and run-down, and other times you can have symptoms and they don't really bother you that much.

At any rate... on to another day.

I get a list of free or low-cost electronic books in my inbox, and there was a free one the other day on Emotional Eating - I've put in a link to the specific one. I decided to check it out, out of curiosity more than anything else. To my surprise, it seems actually useful. Even though No-S contains my emotional eating (and I have naturally started doing it less as a result of No-S, which I've written about - somewhere - before), it's still an issue for me.

The underlying premise is that emotional eating occurs because we hunger for something, and address it with food, and we need to learn to listen to ourselves better to identify what we really need. For the first week, there are three activities. The first is to identify a mindfulness activity to engage in regularly (not necessarily daily - 3-4 times during th week), the second is journaling (which I already do), and the third is completing a "mindfulness eating log" for 3 days of the week. The last is "data collection" about when/why we eat. All of these are put on your personal calendar, like appointments.

I very much like that the author encourages "curiosity with a side of compassion" and letting go of perfectionism and judgment. In fact, she has a "contract" to sign at the beginning that includes "I will make every effort to be curious and not judgmental...I give myself permission to feel confused or unclear..."

I think I may try this. It fits with a lot of the things I've previously done that help me - "be gentle with yourself" is one mantra that I keep repeating, because I need it. A little "curiosity with a side of compassion" is not a bad thing when looking at habits, and this structured approach looks useful.

PS - The book was on a one-day sale as a freebie, and I see it's back to normal price now. But it seems to go on that one-day periodically. When I went to download it this time, Amazon told me it was already in my library, so I evidently "bought" it once before and didn't read it then.

eschano

Post by eschano » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:05 pm

"Letting go of perfectionism and judgement"

This is the biggest issue for me and I love that I find regular reminders of this mantra on these boards. Thanks!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:05 pm

Friday SUCCESS

Got my steps in too. Pilates was cancelled, alas.

Now for an S-day. My goal is to savor every treat.

My intent is to have sweets/seconds as part of my meals, one snack only. Not as a restriction, but because I KNOW that is more enjoyable to me.

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:23 pm

Writing from my phone, so short. A good weekend. I made apple turnovers for sweets, and they were a big hit with the family. Paying attention to "am I enjoying this?" payed off - at least twice I realized "uh, no" and stopped eating. (Well, once was a latte...I bought it b/c I was with a group at a coffeeshop, but realized I really didn't want it. Gave the last half to dh.)

So, a good weekend. Looking forward to the week, including Thanksgiving, which I'll enjoy with family.

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:14 pm

Monday - Success

Exercise - got my steps, though I had to "march around the house" before bedtime to top off the count. Missed Pilates, and need some stretches. Around the holidays, the gym/classes get more sporadic, so I need to PLAN around that and have fall-backs.

Today is drizzly and cold and I have to work, so exercise will be more of a challenge.

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:22 am

Catching up...

Tuesday and Wednesday were both a SUCCESS in terms of eating.

On Tuesday, managed to get my steps in.

Wednesday (today) involved cooking and driving to my family. No real exercise - even low on steps. But it was the best I could do. And I get points for staying on habit when I was cooking all day!

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:35 pm

Thursday was Thanksgiving. Definitely a feast day with my family! My stomach informed me that I ate too much. The mouth begged to differ. That committee was NOT on the same page! But every bite was enjoyed (that was my intention for the day) and I am ready to make this an N-day.

Friday as an N-day feels a little hard, but the more I think about it... it actually feels like a good idea. Yes, there are a lot of leftovers, but I can have the stuff I like at meals. All it really means is giving the sweets a rest for the day, and they'll still be there tomorrow. One day. With an S-day tomorrow. Really, what is there to whine about with that?

Hope everyone had a really wonderful Thanksgiving. I had a marvelous time with my extended family, and am appropriately grateful that I am related to people I actually like and enjoy being around. Loved hearing my son and his cousins together, in particular. These holidays are memories-in-the-making.

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:50 pm

Friday was an N day, and I'm glad I kept it that way. Was actually hungry by bedtime (and thought of cheating, since it was late enough to be the next day, but didn't).

Today (S-day), I had pumpkin pie for breakfast. :P

Which is okay. My intent is to keep to the same pattern as last weekend, because I really liked it.

- Three meals, seconds and sweets okay
- One extra snack

I have planned a particularly yummy dinner, since that gives me incentive not to "spoil my appetite".

Weighed this morning. 150.5, down from 153 when I came back. I'm pleased with that. Looking forward to getting back to the 140's soon, which is where I belong.

keep on going NMW

Post by keep on going NMW » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:20 pm

Great progress!
Start weight 179
Dec 17 2013..177.8

herbsgirl

Post by herbsgirl » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:53 pm

KCCC- I have also found that keeping my "mealing" and eating 3 times a day on S days helps to keep everything going smoother! Otherwise, I just eat often!
SW 218.2 10-14-13
1 mo 193.4
2 mo 178.8
3 mo 162.8
4 mo 151.4
5 mo 146.2
72 lbs lost in 19 wks 5' 6.5" 31 years old BMI 23.1
counting bites go to: countyourbites . blogspot . com

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:24 am

You should be so proud of yourself to stick to Friday as an N day! That pumpkin pie breakfast was thoroughly deserved.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:28 pm

Saturday went fine - a "3-meal S-day," which is how I like them.

Sunday I had book club, with incredible desserts, some sent home with me. The result is that I spiraled into some perma-snacking in the evening. I've always had a problem with Sunday night - a sort "get it while I can!" mentality sets in. Blech. That's an area to investigate "with curiosity and a side of compassion."

But overall, the extended holiday went well. I am ready for some nice solid N days, though!

Isn't it funny how what used to feel like a restriction now feels like a relief?

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:13 pm

Monday - Success
Got in my steps, and part of a Pilates class as well.

Tuesday - on track so far. Did a 20-minute Pilates routine in the AM (I neeeeeed some stretching!). Trying to get steps in, but it's a work day so that's a bit of a challenge.

cbecker

Post by cbecker » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:56 am

Great job getting back to your N days! And you've reminded me that I should dig out my old (unreliable) pedometer. :)

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:51 pm

Tuesday = Success. And I made my steps, though it took some pre-bedtime marching around the house!

Cbecker, I looooove my pedometer. When I got back to walking, I indulged in a FitBit - the little one, not the wrist one that tracks sleep too. It links to my iPhone so I can see when I took steps (and when I didn't) and figures calories as well as steps. If you wanted to track food on it, you could - I don't at the moment. But it's TEEENY and convenient and seems quite accurate, and I really love it. But then, I am so thrilled to be able to walk again that I'd be happy with anything, I guess!

(Edited to fix misspelling.)

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:52 pm

Wednesday = Success for eating.

Got in an exercise session, but missed on my steps by about 700. I could have gotten that much marching around the house, but decided sleep was a higher priority. Hoping to do better today!

Today will be a little harder than normal, because lunch is provided at work (no idea what) and we're going to eat out tonight. (Christmas parade downtown.) So I need to set my intention for a GREEN day ANYWAY.

Actually, this is a good time to practice mindfulness when off-routine. Because while I can't control what I'm offered, these are still just meals. Not nearly as hard as buffets or snack-spreads.

One plate. (And NOT one "platter"!)

UPDATE: Lunch was sandwiches from Einstein's bagels, salad, chips, and cookies. Cookies were right out, of course. The sandwich and salad fit nicely on a plate, so the chips were skipped as well. (I do appreciate that our admin does order salad with most provided meals!)

So, one hurdle down!

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:16 pm

Thursday was a success, both for eating and steps.

Friday was a FAIL. WIDR: got steps in. Did not "eat to icky."

Weird eating patterns due to the shape of the day led to snacking on dried figs (which I totally love, to the point that I will eat them ALL if they're in the house...so why did I buy them?) And then, since I'd blown it...gingerbread!

Sigh. Mark it and move on.

An S day today. Preferably a reasonable one.

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:44 pm

Two random-ordered S-days. Didn't "eat to icky," but also didn't stick to my meals as much as I'd like. Not a failure, but not as pleasant as I'd like.

Followed by a FAIL for Monday and a FAIL for today (Tuesday). Not so good.

On Monday, I hosted a small group meeting at my house. These are hard, because the norm is to provide snacks. So I baked cookies... and ate some. Sigh. Then, after dinner, I had some more because I'd already blown it. (Wrecking the car.)

Today was the office party. I had not planned to take an S, but did - someone brought home-made key lime pie. (It WAS awesome.)

WIDR - Exercise is on track. Only day I missed was Sunday, and that's allowed. No "eating to icky" (I am really starting to dislike that feeling, and stopping myself before I get there. So, even when I slip badly, it's a smaller slip than it used to be.)

WIDN (What I'll do now) - Start over NOW, this instant, not tomorrow, and have a green rest-of-day. And think about what I want, and why I have been resistant to acting in my own long-term best interest.

Moving on...

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:34 am

Great attitude, KCCC!
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:54 pm

Thanks, automatedeating. All you can do is go forward, right? And learn from the past.

Rest of Tuesday was GREEN, and Wednesday was a SUCCESS as well, on both eating and exercise.

On to another link in the chain!

jw

Post by jw » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:51 pm

Just keep going, KCCC. I was very proud of no red days for months -- but once I started slipping occasionally, I learned more. Like how to recover without negative impact! Since falling is inevitable, it's good to learn how to fall --

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:24 pm

Yesterday was GREEN (both eating and exercise) under somewhat trying circumstances.

Or, rather, circumstances that should have been trying, but were unexpectedly not. So, dissecting as a learning experience...

What happened:
I planned to attend a work-related function (student presentations) at 6:30. That's my usual dinnertime, and I knew they were offering refreshments. However, I also knew there was leftover potluck food available, so I made myself a plate and had an early supper.

When I got to the session, there was indeed a sumptuous array of sweets for guests. And the students rather anxiously kept inviting people to have some. So, in order to be polite, I filled a small plate with treats that I intended to take home to my husband and son. And that's exactly what I did. The filled plate sat next to me during the session, and next to me in the car for my 50-minute drive, and I didn't touch it.

Reaction:
Sounds like a triumph, right? The sort of thing that I should be proud of. Except... it was no big deal. Really. And that has me curious. Why was this time different from times I've failed? I was actually worried about how the evening would play out, especially because I ate very early and was afraid I'd be starving by bedtime.

Analysis:

- Eating a real meal first was a good idea.
- It helped that it was food I liked. (Ham! I rarely get that, since I have a small family and only one other person in it likes ham.)
- I expect it also helped that it had a little more protein/fat than normal for me - both help with long-term satiety.
- I did get one sweet to save for myself on Saturday. It's in the kitchen (thought it's already feeling less attractive to me than it did at the session).
- I laid a napkin over the plate sitting beside me, so I didn't have to look at the sweets.
- During the session, I was focused on working. Taking notes, participating in discussion. I don't normally eat while working.
- During the drive, the plate was on the far side of my bag. And I don't normally eat while I drive.
- Once I got home, it was past dinner time and I'd already eaten... so I just went into normal evening routine.

Mostly, I think the main thing was that I saw the potential train wreck in advance and made a plan.

Just reflecting for future situations....

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:01 am

Yay! I love your story and your analysis. :)
I definitely think being mentally prepared for temptation was huge in your success.
And covering the plate with a napkin was a great idea!
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:45 pm

Sadly, the analysis of late has been in the other direction. I've had a string of reds.

Some patterns I've noticed there...
- Friday night is extra hard because it's almooooost a weekend, and I start thinking "I deserve..." (reward eating). Need to find other rewards. Also, it's often a social night, and social-occasions-with-food are another pitfall. (See below.) I think I need to find activities-other-than-eating to enjoy.
- Weekends may be S-days, but some are better than others. This weekend, I had TWO back-to-back parties on Sunday. And Saturday was cookie-baking-with-friends day.
- If I do have an excessive weekend, getting back on track is harder.
- Once I GET over-stuffed, it's like I think eating something else will make me feel better. That's totally wrong, but it's my default, non-rational response that I need to examine and overcome.
- Baking on N days is setting myself up for failure. (Had some cookies that had to chill that I was finishing up on Monday. My red that day was for sampling 3.)
- I also tend to "wreck the car" - "oh, I've blown it already, so..." That often sets me up for "stress-eating" or "procrasti-eating".
- While I am not much tempted by "grocery-store food," good homemade things are a whole different category. Need to think about how to handle them.

Lot of failures are giving me lots of opportunity to notice.... and think about what I want to do differently.

What I did right: Exercise has been consistent, though I haven't always gotten my steps in. And there have been some green days since I last posted... just not a lot of them.
What I'll do next: Menu for today is planned, with none of the pitfalls I've noted above. One good day puts me back on the path! (Actually, each good decision does that - important to remember!)

finallyfull

Post by finallyfull » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:49 pm

procrasti-eating. haha.

I think you are wise to study the fault lines -- it can really make a difference.

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:09 pm

Thursday was a contained red. That means I made a choice, and did NOT wreck the car afterwards.

I got two food-presents at work on Thursday. One was a package of Godiva chocolates. Now, I love chocolate, but wasn't even tempted by these. They can wait until the weekend. Or be re-gifted. All good.

The other was homemade marshmallows. If you have never had them, they are wonderful - the ones in the store are a pale imitation. And they don't last without getting stale, so holding them until Saturday was not a great option.

So I decided to eat them after supper. There were six in the package, which worked out to two each. And they WERE delicious.

Rest of the day, totally green.

I chose to eat the marshmallows because I would have felt so deprived otherwise that I think I would have really been at risk for going off the deep end. But I am aware that it was a choice that did not reinforce habit, so will be extra-mindful of habit today. Not punitive, just mindful.

finallyfull

Post by finallyfull » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:42 pm

I think you made a good call on the marshmallows. That's one of those rare times where you would really be "on a diet" if you didn't eat them, given the season and the fact that they are only wonderful when fresh. Also you shared them -- very important!

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:02 pm

Thanks, finallyfull. The sharing was important. So was waiting until after dinner to eat them, rather than scarfing them down in the middle of the day.

And you are quite right. I would have felt "on a diet" and deprived over those in a way that I don't normally on No S.

I feel like it was a good choice. At the same time, I think that such choices need to be rare! :)

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:49 pm

KCCC wrote:I feel like it was a good choice. At the same time, I think that such choices need to be rare! :)
Totally agree!! Good job on recovering and not going hog wild!
Age 56: SBMI=30.6 (12/1/13) CBMI 28.9 (2/2/14) GBMI-24.8

kccc

Post by kccc » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:30 pm

Nice green Friday.

Saturday was relatively normal until the evening, when we had a party.

WIDR: I took a veggie tray to the party, which was easy and well-received. It was gone before we left, and we left early. I've started taking a veggie tray or a salad to all the parties-to-which-it-is-appropriate-to-bring-food. That way, there's something I like... and it's an easy contribution, so it lowers stress on me. Also got my exercise.

Sunday... So far, a nice big breakfast and a yummy lunch of steak salad with truffles at the end. Dinner TBD. I'm thinking pizza, or the big pan of ziti from the freezer. We could eat on that for several days.

I am going to bake more cookies this afternoon, so I expect I'll be eating some of them as well. But they'll be safely in the freezer by tomorrow, so Monday and Tuesday should be green.

WIDR today: I took the dog for a two-mile walk this morning, which was a double-win because it's going to rain this afternoon. We BOTH needed the exercise, so I'm pleased we fit it in.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:39 pm

Last few days to get it right in 2013. Let's keep doing it!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:23 am

Hi KCCC,
I walked over from my blog to wish you a Happy, Healthy, No S 2014 :D
Habits are at first cobwebs, then cables.

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:10 pm

Thanks, WalkerLori, and back at you! (And thanks for the encouragement, oolala!)

Have had minimal internet access during the holidays - visiting family and spending time doing other things. The week between Christmas Eve and New Year's Day was... well, not the best. Lot of food, lot of snacking. By the time it was over, I was so glad to STOP IT. I didn't even have an S last Saturday - just wanted to eat decent food in reasonable amounts.

Which is to say, I'm back on track now, with a strong sense of relief/gratitude. And ready to start the new year!

Hope everyone else had wonderful holidays. Mine were all they should be -family, friends, fun, and some fabulous presents given and received.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:04 pm

Welcome back!

It's surprising how few days it takes of either kind of eating to make me feel I've been doing it for a long time. If I eat S's for several days in a row for whatever reason, N days feel like they were so long ago! And a few days of N days can bring that sane feeling back, too.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

kccc

Post by kccc » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:18 pm

Have been sick for a bit, and eating a bit much because I have a sore throat and that helps.

This too shall pass.

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:52 am

I know how you feel. I hope you'll recuperate soon! In the grand scheme of things I doubt a little extra food on S days (sick) will matter.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:01 pm

Monday (1/13) was a SUCCESS on both eating and exercise.

Still feeling puny, but trying to use hot herbal tea instead of food to soothe.

Weighed for the first time since the New Year. Alas, the holidays and sick days have put me about where I started: 153. It is what it is.

And now for today....

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:03 pm

Have a great N Day, KCCC! :)
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:56 pm

Thanks, automatedeating.

SUCCESS on both eating and exercise for Tuesday. But I'm still sick, and a little overwhelmed. Will catch up with everyone else later.

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:20 pm

Red for Wednesday.

Not a big one - we opened a pack of cookies right after dinner, some that had been gifted and sitting around. They were a type I'd never tried, and I really wanted to taste them. So I ate two, and stopped. Normal N otherwise. The rest of the cookies don't tempt me - I liked them, but mostly was curious.

Exercise was good.

Still sick. Very tired of this lingering cold!

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:25 pm

Sounds like a "controlled" red. I think we should have a new category for that, I've seen many of these lately. :)
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:42 pm

The trouble is that a "controlled" red can easily slip out of control!

At the same time, I'm not at all bummed by it. It was a very conscious choice. I'm willing to accept the red to keep me honest in the future, but if there were a "pink" or "orange," I'd use it. :)

To me, a sweet under 150 calories following a meal isn't that big a deal if it's not every day. Once a week, maybe.

But I don't want to build it in, or officially allow it. The program is already so moderate that adding more exceptions is risky.

So red it is. But not a big red.

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:58 pm

Thursday was a SUCCESS for both eating and exercise.

But I am still sick. This has gone on so long that I'm thinking of seeing a doctor. If I haven't turned the corner by Monday, I'll make an appointment.

In other news, my institution got a grant for an employee wellness program, starting on the 27th. It includes exercise, nutrition, stress-reduction and other positive life habits. You get “virtual points†for all of this, and they encourage forming teams - trying to "gamify" it, I think.

I actually like the program - it’s designed so you can participate at all levels of fitness, and set your own goals within some very inclusive parameters. It is NOT just a "weight-loss" program or the like. So, yeah, I’ll be doing it.

One thing I noticed on the "points" scale is that you get points for each serving of veggies up to 4/day and fruits up to 3/day. That's incentive for upping my veggie/fruit count a bit, which would be good for me.

There's also a lot that I do normally that would earn points, which I like. :)

Will keep you posted after it actually begins.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:53 am

Oh, I hope you get better soon! I assume you have one of those hacking, hanging-on kind of coughs or something....maybe time to visit the doctor, as you said.

I love the wellness grant idea! Things like that are great for employee morale, in my opinion.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:17 pm

I'm a big fan of companies encouraging employees to keep healthy. Looking forward to reading how it pans out.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

jw

Post by jw » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:10 pm

Back when I had co-workers (different job!), we used to do "biggest loser" and "most miles" competitions at work, with weigh-ins and tracking sheets, etc. every January. By March they were usually over, but while they lasted they were fun and motivating.

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:43 pm

Yesterday (Monday) was a Success.

Looking forward to the program. It officially starts on the 27th, but we can see how it works now. Basically, you get "points" for a variety of healthy habits. Some of them I do already; some of them... well, I could improve. For example, each day you get 400 points for every vegetable, up to four, and 300 for every fruit, up to 3. That's seven servings of fr/veg I could get points for, but usually, I get only about 5 total. I'm already trying to add veggies... which, of course, means less other stuff on the plate.

I think this will be fun.

Cough is better, general nose-blowing is not. Tired.Of.This.

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:13 pm

Wednesday: Exercise SUCCESS. No-S not so much.

Don't even want to talk about it. It was simply a reaction to That Kind of Day, followed by a dinner-I-didn't-like. (Menu chosen by guest child, who is a picky eater. I gave him three choices, and he picked my least favorite. Oh well. Lesson: Do not give people choices you don't want them to make.)

Moving on.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:58 pm

Let me guess: you had to have macaroni and cheese for dinner. :)
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

Eileen7316

Post by Eileen7316 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:34 pm

Let me guess: you had to have macaroni and cheese for dinner. Smile
And chicken nuggets???
Eileen

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:02 pm

Lol! It was Mac and Cheese. The boxed kind. I don't know why I don't really like it - I love cheese, and most pasta. But... not.

Yesterday was the start of my work wellness program. I am logging stuff through it, so may not be on here as much (it just makes me crazy to tick off too many boxes!). But I like the program in general. The first day, I had a mostly-normal day, and racked up a lot of "points" (you get points for exercise, bonus points if it's in the morning, points for nutrition, for meditation, for "meaningful connections" with people, etc.). It's nice to see confirmation that I already do a lot that is good for me! The places where I can most improve are (1) more veggies (points up to 4 veg, 3 fruits - I usually get 2/3) and (2) getting 7 hours of sleep, which I usually don't. But I did last night, and it feels really good!

Still following basic No-S. Oh, and Monday was a Success.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:08 am

I started a mini-health program at my work, but it doesn't sound nearly as cool or all-encompassing as yours.
Good luck getting more sleep!
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2