English Gal's Check in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

English Gal

English Gal's Check in

Post by English Gal » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:00 pm

Only found this Site today.

Anyway a bit about me first:

Live in England. Have 3 children.

18 Months ago I was 12 stone 5 and my size 16 clothes were starting to feel tight. I took up running and started to eat less. I got down to 10 stone 9, but the weight has started to creep back on. I now weigh 11 stone and am a size 14. I want to weigh anywhere between 9 and half to 10 stone. I would like to be a size 10-12 with a 30" waist.

These sizes quoted above are all British sizes, which I believe are a bit different to other worldwide sizes.

I am starting off with just no snacking rule for this last week in November and throughout December. I hardly ever have seconds anyway. Its just the sweet stuff. I only really drink water, hot chocolate or Diet Soda anyway. I will swap the brand of hot chocolate I usually have to a lower calorie one though.

But for now I will only eat 3 small meals or 2 meals where one was particularly large on N days.

Looking forward to possibly getting to know you all. I will have a proper look at the forum tomorrow or Tuesday. My husband is waiting for me to come off the laptop now so we can watch a film.
Little Pickers wear Bigger Knickers

If you had 7 roses and one dies you won't throw the whole bouquet away. So having one bad day of eating doesn't mean you throw the rest of the week away.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:14 am

Welcome! I loved both of your comments in your signature line! :)

I had a fun time converting your "stone". So you started around 173 pounds? And are now 154 pounds? Congrats! NoS is, in my opinion, a reasonable way for you to maintain your weight loss and still enjoy eating for the rest of your life!
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/18-25.6; 8/18-24.5; 10/18-23.8;
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
6/20-22.5; 7/20-23.0; 9/20-23.6
4/21 - 25.2

jw

Post by jw » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:21 am

Welcome, English Gal! You are off to a good start -- and this board is a great place to come to for support. :)
"The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective." -- El Fug

English Gal

Post by English Gal » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:56 pm

automatedeating wrote:Welcome! I loved both of your comments in your signature line! :)

I had a fun time converting your "stone". So you started around 173 pounds? And are now 154 pounds? Congrats! NoS is, in my opinion, a reasonable way for you to maintain your weight loss and still enjoy eating for the rest of your life!
Of course I should remember that most people on this forum probably wont know stones like we do in England.

There are 14lbs in a stone so my heaviest was 173 pounds, my lowest has been 149 pounds, currently I am 154 pounds and my goal is 133 - 140 pounds. So yes you were right with your conversion.

Thanks for welcoming me. Success on day 1 for no snacking so far, but it is only 4PM here and the hardest time for me is on an evening.

If you had 7 roses and one dies you won't throw the whole bouquet away. So having one bad day of eating doesn't mean you throw the rest of the week away.

English Gal

Post by English Gal » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:13 pm

Well second day so far has been a success. Though yet again its coming to the worst time for me. In a couple more weeks the worst will be over and hopefully those cravings will no longer exist. Im not even hungry, I just want biscuits. Its a habit of mine that I am trying to break: eating rubbish while watching TV on a night.

A craving is merely a feeling and its one I can control.
I wont get a medal for eating, but it will make me feel not to eat.
Ive been avoiding the rubbish foods since last week so I can do it tonight.

English Gal

Post by English Gal » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:55 am

Well yesterday was a success again. Definately finding it hard on a night still. When will my mind realise that biscuits will not be eaten on a night? I got so used to eating a pack (or two) of biscuits on a night when I wasn't hungry that now Im having cravings for them. I was never hungry, it was just a really bad habit I got into, now Im trying to go cold turkey, but its hard.

I weighed more than yesterday when I got on the scales (yes I weigh myself every morning) so feeling a bit bad, but its a marathon not a sprint. Slow and steady wins the race.

Anyway should anybody in America read this (not sure if many people are reading) I just want to say Happy Thanksgiving. Hope you all have a wonderful holiday.

Here's to another successful day today (not a holiday here so have no reason to make it an S day so still a N day for me)

English Gal

Post by English Gal » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:05 am

Another success day yesterday. Not weighed myself yet this morning (I do this when I get dressed), but I still resisted those pesky biscuits at night time.

jw

Post by jw » Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:34 pm

You are doing really well, English Gal -- evenings were my big snack time, too. I have a warm drink or two throughout the evening instead, but it takes some will to teach your appetite new tricks! Soon it will be second nature!
"The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective." -- El Fug

English Gal

Post by English Gal » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:00 am

Thanks JW.

Well another success day yesterday and the scales went down this morning. Another good thing I did yesterday was last night for my dinner I actually left some. It was lovely, but for a change I actually listened to my body and stopped eating when I was full. No wonder the scales went down this morning. So happy.

Also today is Saturday so you know what that means? S Day!!!!! Although I must remember that does not give me permission to eat and eat and eat all day. I dont want to undo all my hard work.

So Ive not lost lbs and lbs, but the scales are going in the right direction and I dont want to lose it all at once otherwise it wouldn't stay off.

So today is a good day.

phxhocking

Post by phxhocking » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:54 pm

Welcome, English gal! It sounds as if you're doing just fine. I'm pretty new at this myself. I started two weeks ago and am down five pounds. The really tough part for me is not eating at night after dinner, but so far I'm doing well. And then there's the sweets... And you're right, we didn't pack this on overnight, it won't come off overnight. And besides, I want a plan I can live with the rest of my life, and this seems to work well for me. So, welcome!

English Gal

Post by English Gal » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:58 pm

Thanks. I wish I could lose 5lbs that quick.

Had a bad day yesterday with food. I just ate more than I should. Im making up for it today though by not having snacks.

I am planning a new habit from Jan and that will be to do crunches every morning before I get in the shower. I plan to start off with 5 and build it up slowly to 50 a day by the end of Feb. Then in March I will add another habit as I will already be no snacking and crunches.

English Gal

Post by English Gal » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:12 pm

So yesterday I did have some chocolate mid afternoon. There I was in the kitchen washing up when they caught my eye. So even though it was officially a S day I was trying to make up for Saturday. Didn't have a lot, only a couple of chocolates.

Right now I am just guzzling water as I really really really want to eat. Its taking me a lot of willpower not to grab some food. Ive had my lunch.

The scales were down a little bit this morning from yesterday morning, but they are still up from Saturday morning.

I just want to eat. Its so hard not.

phxhocking

Post by phxhocking » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:41 pm

I know what you mean. Oftentimes, when all I want to do is dive headfirst into a vat of chocolate ice cream, I'll busy myself doing something else. I like to quilt, or even get out the coloring books, just SOMETHING to take my mind off eating.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:20 pm

This sounds terrible, maybe, but my best distraction from eating is cleaning.... you simply can't eat while you are folding laundry, cleaning toilets and vacuuming....!
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

phxhocking

Post by phxhocking » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:28 pm

Distracting yourself when you just want to eat is one thing, but distracting yourself when you're truly hungry is another. That usually means I didn't at enough at the previous meal. But, it's all a process, right? Live and learn.

English Gal

Post by English Gal » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:24 am

Well yesterday I kind of failed as I did snack, but instead of the full pack of biscuits (do americans say biscuits or are they all cookies? We have cookies and biscuits in England) I only had one in the afternoon and one last night.

So even though I did snack I didn't snack as much as I would have done a month (or even 2 weeks) ago.

Also the scales were down this morning too so its all good. Possibly just the motivation I need to be good today.

eschano

Post by eschano » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:44 am

In a way that's a win! I'd mark it as red and move on with the comforting knowledge that you did a lot better than pre-NoS :)
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

phxhocking

Post by phxhocking » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:59 pm

In America, cookies and biscuits are different. Oh gosh....trying to explain the difference...biscuits are shaped more like a cupcake without any frosting and is usually a savory item, usually enjoyed with butter or honey or jam. Sometimes they're made with cornmeal, but is generally served at dinner or supper. A cookie is sweet, usually flat, and often made with chocolate chips or some such thing. It's a treat, more a dessert item than with a meal itself.
As for your cheat, I wouldn't worry too much about it. It's all a process, and failure is built into the system. It's how we learn.
For me, for example, I know me pretty well, and I know that if I go to bed on an empty stomach I'll get up in the middle of the night and pig out. So, I've been allowing myself 4 crackers before I go to bed. I don't consider this cheating or bending the rules. It's just how my body is, and eating 4 crackers is not going to do much damage, but it will keep my body from rebelling.
I've been sick for over a week, just a cold, nothing drastic, but have still managed to stay on track. It was my birthday on Sunday, so I overdid a bit and gained a bit on Monday, but it's back off now.
One day at a time!!

English Gal

Post by English Gal » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:43 am

Another fail yesterday. I got annoyed with the laptop breaking last night so stuffed myself with shortbread cookies. The hard drive has broke, but it's getting fixed soon. For now I am having to use the iPad which isn't as easy to use, but it will do for now.

My scales were only a little bit up though.

Been for a run this morning though and today's a new day so I'm determined to get back on track today.

Happy belated birthday for Sunday phxhocking. There's less difference between biscuits and cookies here. Cookies are big whereas biscuits are just what you would call cookies I guess. I will try to remember in future to just say cookies.

English Gal

Post by English Gal » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:16 pm

Well I kind of failed yesterday, but decided to make it a S day as I was offered a job. I don't start till the new year, but it's still what I wanted. So decided to celebrate by eating cookies last night. I was successful until then though. So yesterday was an S day for me.

I've decided to write this week off (as I've only got today now) and start again on Monday.

The scales haven't shown much movement and I've nowhere eaten as much cookies as I would have done a couple of weeks ago so it's still good.

I was going to add anew habit in January, but as I start work the 2nd I will use Jan as getting into work mode and pick up a new habit in February.

phxhocking

Post by phxhocking » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:33 pm

Yesterday was a "fail" day myself. I did well, even at my birthday lunch, but at writer's group someone brought cupcakes and I had one. That makes it a "fail," not an "s." But today will be a Normal day for me. No sense in waiting until Monday to start again. That's what I've always done, and you know that's the definition of insanity, right? Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results? So I would encourage to jump right back on the wagon and make today a Normal day as well. No sense in undoing all the good you've already done. Yes, this is a SLOW process, but it's something we can live with the rest of our lives, not something to on and off like other diets. So, hang in there, English Gal. It's all part of it.

keep on going NMW

Post by keep on going NMW » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:16 pm

Wanted to add my coo to say hang in there. I cannot think of an easier diet. I keep messing up then coming up with some lame excuse. You got this!!!!

Also congratulations on your job!!!!!
I am training for a marathon, not a sprint!
Start weight 179
Dec 17 2013..177.8

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:53 pm

Yes, congratulations! Well done! I think this definitely qualifies as an S day.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

English Gal

Post by English Gal » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:21 pm

I've been meaning to sign in all day just haven't got round to it.

Yesterday was successful and so far has today, it's nearly half 10 at night here though so it is a success. Well it has to be my weight went up a bit over the weekend. Now I am determined to carry on my no snacking. I also need to reduce portion control too.

phxhocking

Post by phxhocking » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:41 pm

Even though the weekends were S days, I kind of went overboard so gained a little. I haven't quite gotten quite to the point where I can do the same thing on weekends. I think portion control is my issue.
Progress, not perfection, is the goal.

English Gal

Post by English Gal » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:08 pm

I have a weekend problem too, I try to only eat when hungry though, but I'm aware I need to get better on S days too.

So far this week has been successful and I've seen the weight dropping so still on for a good lifestyle change. Seeing the scales drop and knowing that they rose last week when I failed all week has just motivated me more.

Drinking lots more water has helped too.

phxhocking

Post by phxhocking » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:40 pm

AFter last weekend, I really fell off the rails. Especially the last couple of days. I need to get back on track. It's not a bad way to eat, and it's not even difficult. I think I sabotage myself. But my knees and hip are starting to hurt again, and it's more difficult to get upstairs, so I'd best get back on it. Starting today!

English Gal

Post by English Gal » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:08 pm

Well Ive been really good all week and the scales are showing a little rise. Im not happy. Ive not been snacking at all and Ive been making sure Ive been drinking plenty of water (1.5 - 2 litres a day) so not sure why.

Oh well in Jan I start a new job and going to add a new habit. Im going to combine this no s with the 5:2 plan.

English Gal

Post by English Gal » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:52 pm

Just checking in to the start of a new week. So thats 5 N days. So far so good, but its only just after lunch time here.

English Gal

Post by English Gal » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:15 pm

right come on I can do this.

Ive been for a run this morning too.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:28 pm

Here's to another green day! Great job on the run.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

English Gal

Post by English Gal » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:59 pm

I know Ive not been on since Tuesday, but Ive been successful. Ive only eaten 3 meals every day. My weight has been dropping slightly too.

Of course next week wont be too great, but Im giving myself Christmas day and Boxing day S days.

phxhocking

Post by phxhocking » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:20 pm

Good for you for sticking with it. I've pretty much given up until January.

English Gal

Post by English Gal » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:31 am

Ive been close to giving up and thinking well its Christmas, but I get more of a buzz from sticking to it than I do eating when I shouldn't.

Today is Saturday though and the Parkrun (a 5K fun run every Saturday morning) I go to had their first birthday celebrations this morning and there was cake. I couldnt not celebrate with them could I. Mindful eating for the rest of the day until tonight when the alcohol comes out.

phxhocking

Post by phxhocking » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:39 pm

I think if I'd had better luck at actually losing weight with this plan, I'd be doing better. But one day offplan just screws me. I know I give up too easily. The only thing that ever really worked for me, I can't afford to do any more. I just had higher hopes for this.

English Gal

Post by English Gal » Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:16 pm

Im doing it over Christmas then its the 5:2 plan for me as well as no snacking. Im still eating sweet stuff and occasionally I will have seconds anyway. Its all about the snacking for me.