Jean's check in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Elyssa

Post by Elyssa » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:54 am

Welcome back, Jean!!! :)
I'm still new, but in some ways feel like a veteran here. :wink:
I can certainly relate to the "taking care of others at the expense of self" part.
Now you've shown up here again, which I think means that you're not only in need of accountability --though that is an extremely helpful benefit of coming here!!-- but also that you're putting yourself first. AND THAT'S A GOOD THING.

Don't want to trod out old cliches about putting on your own oxygen mask on first on an airplane or how a car can't run on empty... but definitely there is value in NOT neglecting yourself while caring for others.
There really is a whole philosophy to that but time is crisp this morning so I must leave that for another day... all this to say: WELCOME BACK & we hope to see and read regular posts from you. :lol: ~ Elyssa
Ahh... relief!

"No S" has become the life-changing answer to my agonizing questions around food...

Trust in the wisdom of structure.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:30 pm

Thanks for the comments Elyssa!

I really meant to start checking in every few days, but obviously that did not happen. I have been doing well with exercise, but temptations with summer foods and beverages have led to reds with NoS and Glass ceiling. It is mostly on the weekends. Unfortunately that means Friday-Sunday rather than the allowed Saturday-Sunday. My weight is maintaining because of the exercise but not dropping.

Goal
Today I weighed myself. I plan to weigh myself again 4 weeks. I will track my compliance with exercise, NoS, and Glass ceiling and will post at least weekly. (Hopefully I remember this time!)
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:24 pm

Hi! Welcome back again.

And only because you're such a veteran i will say remember it's SOMETIMES on S days. That addition that Reinhard had wanted to put into the maxim has gotten more and more important to my efforts over the years. An S day can be an S day with NO S's. That and really coming to believe that there are genuine benefits to eating even less than I thought I needed has led to losses I didn't expect, but I really think I would have got the benefit without that. Up against the payoffs, summer extras (and eventually holiday season ones, which we can be "in training" for right now) seem like a rip off. But it's taken awhile for the morph to happen.

Hope to see you regularly!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Merry

Post by Merry » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:50 am

Welcome back, Jean! So good to see you here and read about your journey.
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:39 pm

Thanks for the comments Merry and oolala!

I obviously failed at my weekly posting, but I have not failed in tracking for myself. I had a huge challenge from July 1-16. I had three back to back trips with lots of driving and activity. It started with a 4 day camping trip, a quick night at home and then an 8 day road trip visiting family (2000 miles in the car). After another stop at home of less than 24 hours, I joined another family member for a weekend away (only about 600 miles in the car this time). These were all lined up for different special occasions. There was no way to space them out. I kept up my exercise, and I was NoS compliant most of the time. I actually lost 3 lbs.

The problem is that I sort of crashed and burned when I got home. I did a little exercise Monday (1/2 hour of weights) and Tuesday (2 mile walk and 1.5 hours of recreational volleyball). However, I am training for a half marathon and have been averaging 4 miles a day of walking and/or running. I also have eaten worse at home than I did on the road. Two reds Mon/Tues. :(

Today I am still moving slow, but I ate very healthy for breakfast and lunch. I plan on a trip to the gym this afternoon and will hope for the best. It is too hot outside to exercise outside for any length of time so I am stuck with the gym. I am telling myself that breaks are necessary and healing; yet, I just feel lethargic. I am treating myself to a pedicure with a friend tomorrow and moving foreword.

Onward!
Maintenance is progress.

Merry

Post by Merry » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:15 am

Wow, that's awesome that you stuck with No-s and exercise while on the road so much! Shake off the red days--mark it and move on as they say!
Respect Moderation

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:35 am

Stellar overall. Won't it feel good to finish the week green? This is how life can be!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:51 pm

Hi Merry and oolala!
Posting did help the other day. I have been green since and have caught up on most of my weekly exercise goals. I did not get my long run in this week, and I walked more than ran; however, I only need 2.5 miles tomorrow to finish out the week making my total weekly miles goal. Today I will finish out my weight machines goal (3 times a week). Exercise is crucial for me, especially as I get older. Endorphins I guess. Good psychologically and physically.

That said, I think I need to work on that extra few pounds that I have hung onto. It sounds like you got to that point oolala. I have no specific weight loss goals, no time frame. With better habits, it should slowly come off.
Maintenance is progress.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:36 pm

I finished out last week feeling okay with where I was at given that I was feeling a little funky all week from post vacation tiredness. I did NOT manage to get my last couple of miles in as planned, but there was a decent reason. We were dealing with storm and flooding issues on Saturday. We were not seriously affected, but it consumed the day.

Sunday: new week
Moderate S day. A small extra meal/heavy snack at a gathering which included a sweet also.
Hot! Did 4 miles at a relaxed pace (14:32) due to heat.
Worked on decluttering goals by scanning pictures. At this rate, it will take me years. Oh well. Some progress is better than none.

Monday. Working on getting up and out of the house for a long run/walk/jog. Motivation lacking.
Maintenance is progress.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:32 pm

Monday
I forced myself to do 10 miles. I told myself I will not be able to say I am not motivated when the actual half-marathon day arrives. I made the distance the goal rather than the time. (First 7 miles pace average = 13:30. Last 3 miles I gave up and walked the whole time.). But I did it.
Also had a Green Day for food.

Tuesday
Did 2 miles at a brisk walk pace (15:48.) and 30 minutes weights.
Getting ready for volleyball now.
Maintenance is progress.

Merry

Post by Merry » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:13 am

We're in the midst of flooding too (thankfully not our property but a lot of places in town). Sad to see. Hang in there!
Respect Moderation

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:18 pm

Thanks Merry! Our primary home only got some minor basement seepage, but we have an RV in a permanent spot in a recreational area which had to be relocated. Luckily we found a place fairly close and fairly inexpensive to take it. Now we are waiting for the water to go recede.

I ended up with a RED on Tuesday. I munched on cheese and crackers after dinner. My food choices were poor that day, lots of calories but not enough of the good kind of calories.

Wednesday was GREEN with decent food choices in spite of a buffet meal at a dinner theatre in the evening. Exercise was also GREEN.
Maintenance is progress.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:27 am

Thursday was green for exercise and NoS. Walked 3.5 miles at a relaxed pace. Obviously exercise is good and Vanilla NoS is fairly consistent. The problem is often poor food choice. I am working on it.
Maintenance is progress.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:15 am

Finishing up Friday with GREEN times 2. Five miles today. (3 at 39:07; 2 entirely walking). Almost blew my NoS but grabbed grapes instead of ice cream to round out my supper. I was craving something sweet!
Maintenance is progress.

Merry

Post by Merry » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:41 am

r.jean wrote:Finishing up Friday with GREEN times 2. Five miles today. (3 at 39:07; 2 entirely walking). Almost blew my NoS but grabbed grapes instead of ice cream to round out my supper. I was craving something sweet!
Awesome save!
Respect Moderation

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:26 am

Today is day one for me of the new week.
Last week "score card":
No S: Two yellow/S days; one red; 4 green
Exercise: Green seven days.
Met weights goal (3 times for 30 minutes)
Met total mileage goal (28 mile goal; 31 completed)
Came close to pace goal. (Goal is to time at least half of my miles at an average pace that is = or < 13 minute miles.). (Actual done was 15.5 miles @ 13:17)
Met goal of 10 mile distance once during the week.

Goals remain the same for this week but will concentrate on pace this week.

Today was an S day, but it was green for NoS. Nothing special going on and no special temptations came my way.
Green for exercise. Four miles and weights.
Maintenance is progress.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:31 am

Not bad for eating and pretty darn good for exercise.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:38 pm

Thanks oolala! You and I are of similar age, and I have read your posts since I started in late 2010. I am envious of your BMI because I got to 29 and got complacent. Now that I am in my 60s, I am feeling those extra pounds more than before. I need/want to get to a BMI of 24.9. Right now I am losing slowly, about a pound every 2-3 weeks. This is perfect, but I will have to find motivation to maintain my level of exercise after I do my half marathon in September OR I will need to further adjust in food choices and/or plate size. I am strictly Vanilla No S, but as we all know, this does not mean piling our plates with poor choices or going hog wild every weekend.

Monday was Green for NoS and exercise (6 miles).
Today exercise is green (2 miles and weights are done. Volleyball at noon.)
Maintenance is progress.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:46 pm

Successful week.
NoS = One Yellow, Six green. The second Yellow day ended up being Green.
Exercise = Green times 7.

Met most exercise goals.
29 total miles.
15 miles at an average 12:30 pace.
Felt good about the improved pace.
14 miles untimed walking.
Weights 3 days; 30 minutes each.
Did not do a long mileage day. Seven miles was the longest.
Maintenance is progress.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:25 pm

Started my week well on Sunday with a 9 mile long run. Pace was not the greatest with more walk breaks than I strive for, but it was adequate. I ate a lot Sunday. I did not fuel enough after the run which led to snacking and overeating later. Oh well it was an S day.

Monday was fine for exercise. Plenty of stretching and some weights. Unfortunately NoS was RED. I could not resist a Klondike bar for an evening snack.

Tuesday was green for exercise. 5 mile run, 1 mile walk, Volleyball.
RED again for food. Once again I did not eat enough earlier in the day to compensate for exercise so succumbed to evening snacking.

Wednesday was better. 3 mile run, 1 mile walk, weights. I balanced my meals better and stayed green for NoS

I am stepping up exercise as the half marathon gets closer. I am still slow but feeling good that I am tolerating the increase without being too tired. Weight is about the same.
Maintenance is progress.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:17 am

Some good observations. But you might surprise yourself once in awhile and not snack later even though you feel you didn't eat enough earlier. You can snack on your "reserves." I've still got a whole convenience store of reserves where the buttocks meet the thighs.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:42 am

Haha Oolala! I have plenty reserves too!

Last week was great for exercise but not stellar for eating. I only had two greens. However, I had/helped host a 3 day camping weekend reunion that I took three S days for. It was wonderful.

The good thing is that the scale was only two pounds up on Monday after all that eating. I can fluctuate that much on any given day. I checked today and it is back to "my" normal.

I am starting out well this week on exercise but still struggling with some snacking. Monday was green I think. The fact that I cannot remember means I probably just followed routine.

Yesterday I got busy and did not get lunch. I had an early dinner and planned on allowing an evening snack due to the missed lunch. Unfortunately, I went for the sherbet rather than a healthy snack. Disordered eating combined with a lot of exercise leads to cravings! RED.

Today I am planning my three meals in my head right now so that I can get some consistency. Being retired means I can usually plan as I go, but I get in trouble when my schedule gets super busy like it has been.
Maintenance is progress.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:06 am

Last week was busy. I think I had one yellow, two reds, and four greens. Saturday was an S day, but it was green.

Exercise continues to interfere with normal eating. I ran twenty miles this week, did weights twice, volleyball twice, and 105,000 steps on my watch. I am still feeling behind on half marathon training but improving. Did a 7 mile run with a younger family member at a decent pace (for me).

The problem continues to be the eating structure. I eat a yogurt or banana before longer runs and the rest of my breakfast after the run. I call that meal one. I am usually am not overly hungry at lunch and just eat a normal lunch. Yet by supper I am really hungry and I eat too much or snack after supper.

I think maybe I should just go to a four meal structure on really heavy exercise days. I am Vanilla No S but maybe this calls for an exception.

Today is day one of the new week. It was an S day but not a crazy S day. Exercise was moderate with 30 minutes weights and 10,000 steps but no running.
Maintenance is progress.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:03 am

What about possibly dividing your dinner in some way to slow it down so that you don't snack later nor eat much more? I mean, it seems a shame to lose out on the calorie deficit.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:02 am

I was sort of thinking along the same lines Oolala. I divide my breakfast sometimes so why not divide my supper? I am failing because I am truly hungry, and eating a more generous plate for dinner is not working. So make the more generous plate but save part of it.

I already log my exercise, but I think I will try to write down everything I eat for just one week to get an honest look at my choices. I love NoS because I am horrible at any sort of food tracking, but I think I can make myself do it for a week. No measuring or calories, just descriptions.
Maintenance is progress.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:08 pm

This will be my one week log of food. I will just edit with updates.

Sunday was an S day. Did not log food.

Monday:
BF: Greek yogurt pre-run (6.5 miles)
Boiled egg, small low sodium V8, one piece wheat toast with PB after run.
Lunch: Sandwich: turkey/roast beef/provolone/tomato/onion on wheat (moderate size), celery sticks with cream cheese, corn on cob with spray butter
Supper: 3 tacos (I put a banana on my plate also but held it back as a safeguard if I get hungry.)
Other: Two glasses of red wine
Other: Over 22,000 steps on my watch. (Includes the earlier run.)
I was pretty hungry today, but it came earlier in the day this time. I am satisfied for now and do not need the banana.
GREEN

Thursday

Tuesday:
Early morning trip to gym for weights.
BF: Boiled egg, Greek yogurt, Banana, One slice Wheat toast with PB, cup of milk. I worked a half day today which meant breakfast was earlier than normal, and lunch was late because of volleyball at noon right after work. Therefore I ate my breakfast in two stages, saving the milk and PB Toast until late morning.
Lunch: Three tacos.
Supper: Sandwich (See lunch Monday). Low fat kettle cooked chips.
Other: Two glasses of red wine
Over 9000 steps on watch. No running. Watch comes off for volleyball.

GREEN
Wednesday:
2.5 mile run
BF: Boiled egg, Greek yogurt, Banana, One Wheat toast with PB
Worked full day today, and we eat lunch with the students.
Hamburger (no bun), green beans, potato wedges (ate half), milk
Supper: Two open face sandwiches with wheat toast, veggie burger, provolone. Hash browns. This seemed like a lot so I looked at the sandwich calories, and each sandwich was only 240 calories.
Over 15,000 steps on watch.
GREEN

Thursday:
6 mile run
BF: 2 eggs, Greek yogurt
Lunch: turkey/roast beef sandwich (same as above), corn on the cob
Dinner: Birthday party. 3 tacos, bowl of ice cream
Over 19,000 steps
GREEN with Birthday S treat

Friday:
RED Alert. Very disordered day.
Weights at gym
McD egg mcmuffin and hash browns.
Worked today so cafeteria food plus a treat of fresh salsa and chips. The food choices were pretty unhealthy and unsatisfying today. I ate:
Three chips with salsa.
Two bites of a hot dog (no bun)
Two bites of corn.
Most of a serving of macaroni and cheese (surprisingly good).
Milk
Supper was also "out": Grilled cheese, fries, pasta salad
Rolle Bolle league all evening.
This was an up early and to bed late day. It was non stop. At the end I had a mini binge of a dessert empanadas from a neighbor, two slices of Swiss cheese, and potato chips.
I meant to plan my food better because I knew how busy today would be, but it has been busy all week. I just did not get it done.
Over 10,000 steps on watch

Saturday:
6.5 mile run
BF: Greek yogurt and banana.
Lunch at another birthday party: plate of pizza, ice cream
Supper at a Street fest: grilled tenderloin on bun, shared order of fries, light beer.
GREEN with Birthday S treat
Over 20,000 steps
Maintenance is progress.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:08 pm

Writing everything down for this week was informative and would be a good thing to do occasionally. However, it is too time consuming to do all the time.

I had One S day, One Red day, Three Green days, and Two days that were Green with the exception an S treat.

I learned that advance meal planning on days I know will be a challenge needs to be a priority.

I learned that eating out can trigger bad eating the rest of the day. This mainly applies when eating fast food or cafeteria food which can be avoided. Some cafeteria food is fine, but I need to check the menu and bring food some days.

I am doing a better job of splitting meals surrounding exercise to keep my body more satisfied.

NoS has made me desire more appetizing and satisfying food. Fast food, junk food, etc are not appetizing or satisfying. If I eat unsatisfying food, I just keep eating regardless of whether or not I am hungry. Perhaps looking for something that tastes good, not just fills the stomach?
Maintenance is progress.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:35 pm

IF I may: If I'm terribly rushed, I can always gather some salad greens and crudite-type veggies (that I keep on hand) into a bag or container to supplement with convenience food out. I usually eat only half of serving of fast food along with my veggies and maybe fruit.

I rarely eat more than one starch at any meal anymore. Rarely the equivalent of more than a cup. Maybe on S days. Like today, I"m going to an Indian cooking class at which fresh chapatis will be made from an astounding $1200 machine! And I'll have some of the rice that will inevitably be cooked.

You had only one crazy day. It still wouldn't have been ideal as an S day but it would have been a "success" in the short run.

No matter how much after convenience food out I am drawn to more of the same later in the day, I know I will be happier later if I go against the urge and have something much less dense. The veggie or salad offerings don't always sound that good, but I've always been glad later that I opted for them along with maybe ONE dense carby or fat thing. More than that and I have to contend with that dense feeling on the inside, unless the volume is really really low.

I"m probably saying plenty you already know. Forgive me if I'm pointing out the obvious. It's not like you're a newbie!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:07 am

Thanks Oolala! A reminder of the options. Pointing out the obvious as a reminder is never a bad idea!. You are right that we know what we should do, but we do not always do it.

I bought a bunch of veggies (celery, peppers, grape tomatoes, etc ) to clean up and have ready on the run, but I never got them ready. I also generally can grab boiled eggs, Greek yogurt, cheese, PB sandwich, etc, but I did not. 😔

I have some food ready for tomorrow. I am working again and plan on taking it for an option if lunch is like it was Friday, but I prefer eating what the students eat if possible. Usually I can find something redeeming to eat in their menu. Friday was an exception. The bag lunch can be used at supper if necessary.
Last edited by r.jean on Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maintenance is progress.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:55 pm

Sunday is an S day but was green.
4 miles running. Weights at gym.

Monday was green. I worked and ate pizza (small piece) and salad and mandarin oranges for lunch. Much better cafeteria food than Friday. My supper was rather large but within the rules.
No running or gym but fit walking in whenever I could. Watch was just short of 10,000 steps.

Tuesday was also green. I ran 10.1 miles at 2:04:33. I finally feel like I can do the half marathon in September. My goal is to finish under three hours. I am pretty much there but need to build on my stamina so I can do the last 3 miles. Surprisingly enough, I did not overeat today, like I do sometimes after long runs. In hindsight, lunch food choices may been more satisfying and may have staved off later overeating. I ate out for lunch and had a moderate size patty melt and corn nuggets (sweet corn inside a batter and fried; sort of like fried mushrooms except small and round). This may seem like a poor choice under normal circumstances, but it was what I craved and probably what I needed at the time.
Maintenance is progress.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:42 pm

My week deteriorated Wednesday. At work, we had a snack in class. One of the students brought one to me, and I took it. I was not even thinking. Once I had it, it would have been awkward not to eat it because the rule about snacks is that they are consumed in the classroom and not taken for later. So do not take one if you do not want it right then. I was hungry, and I ate a 130 calorie bag of veggie straw crisps. Later in the day, I made indulgent choices for supper, an ate sherbet for dessert. I reverted to that old habit of thinking I blew the day anyway so why not. RED!
Exercise was weights and getting some steps in, over 10,000.

Thursday was better. Green. Volleyball and 1.5 mile quick run before work. Over 10,000 steps.

It is a new month with a holiday weekend looming. I feel a renewed commitment. Obviously, my exercise is good, but my food choices still need a lot of work.
Maintenance is progress.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:12 pm

Hey, we've all done it. Getting back to the habit after "tripping the wire" is one of the skills we all need to develop.

At the same time: How big was the snack you took? Would it have fit in a napkin? How bad would it really have been if you broke one of the rules this time? If you had said, "I'm really sorry, but I took this without thinking, and I'm not willing to eat it. Would anyone else like it?" Or just crush it in a napkin and throw it away? We don't have to be weirdos for No S but we also don't have to adhere to overeating pressures. I too don't like to waste food but I honestly don't think of most processed carbs as real food anymore. And it isn't as if you would have made it a habit. In fact, it probably would have made you hyperaware next time. But maybe you will be anyway.

Anyway, mark it and move on works, too. Maybe even better. I wish we could test that !
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:24 am

Hi Oolala!
The snack I had at school was not a big problem until I turned it into a problem by continuing to break the rules as the day went on. The snack was close to lunch so I could have just counted it as part of my lunch and pared something off my planned lunch accordingly. Instead I compounded the problem. This is a lingering habit from the days of all or nothing thinking. "The day is ruined, so I might as well just start over tomorrow." Sound familiar to anyone?

This is a reason to be hyper aware and to "build a fence around the rules" as Reinhard terms it.

Friday last week went better. I was interrupted after eating a small part of my lunch and took off to help someone. By the time I got time to eat it was close to supper, and I just ate my supper. I had an active day including weights at the gym, a 5 mile run, housework and errands. Of course I was really hungry a couple hours after supper. So. I ate my leftover sandwich that I missed at lunch and called it good. That may be technically Red I suppose but to me it was Green.

The holiday weekend was more indulgent than I like on my S days with about 10,000 steps a day on my watch but nothing vigorous. I felt sluggish by Monday but had a Green Day with an 8 mile run.

I then continued to lapse this week with a minor red on Tuesday and a major red Wednesday. Exercise was okay but minimal (for me) on Wednesday.

Time to reboot.
Maintenance is progress.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:15 am

Oh, yes, WTH is the close-second villain. Small fails are not good but small fails and WTH are pretty close to misery. Spare yourself misery!

I think you could also allow that you can exercise a lot during a day and not necessarily get more hungry later. I've had days on which I've exercised way more than usual and felt even less hunger later. Just be sure it's real hunger and not just your expectation (since you said, OF COURSE I felt hungry later. Not necessarily.)
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:12 am

I continued to struggle last week with disordered eating. It was a busy hectic week, and I really have no idea what I ate Thursday-Saturday. I think some of my No S habits are so ingrained that even when I do not do well, I still do way better than my pre No S days. I also managed to put my exercise regimen first, and I planned around it. I think I only had two Green Day's last week (ended Saturday)

This week is definitely better. I ran/walked 13.1 miles Sunday to prove to myself I am ready for the half marathon in two weeks. I also stayed under 3 hours (2:53). I also had a Green Day. As you noted Oolala, I was not that hungry right after, but by 7 pm I was ravenous. I had a dinner plate full of pizza, but not stacked or hanging over the edges.

Today I have a cold. I did weights and got over 10,000 steps. It was also a Green Day. Not great food choices but Green.

I weighed myself today, and I am one pound below the weight I have been maintaining. I must be doing something right.

I am relieved that the hard training for the half marathon is over. The next two weeks will be milder shorter runs and concentrating on eating healthier, pre-race wind down.
Maintenance is progress.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:08 pm

My cold turned into full blown bronchitis and sinus infection. I waited too long to go to the doctor and am still struggling to recover. Half-marathon in one week. I am resting and hoping for recovery.

Pretty much S all week. I consider sick days S days. When I am sick I eat when I am hungry. I tend to eat small amounts but more frequently. I was 2 lbs under maintenance weight at the doctor.
Maintenance is progress.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:42 pm

It has been a trying two weeks. My bronchitis just would not clear up and as the half marathon approached the forecast climbed into the 90s with heat indexes close to 100.

I figured I am old enough to know better than to do something that could make me sick all over again. I felt well enough on race day to do a moderate 5k (35:40) rather than the half. I had a great time cheering on friends doing the half.

I also consoled myself with the fact that I completed a full half marathon on my last long training run so I met my goal in spirit.

I am working on a new exercise plan. I plan to train for shorter running distances and start biking more. Weights, stretching and volleyball will factor in as well.

The hard thing is that I know that a BMI of 29 is holding me back. I need to make better food choices. I am 47 lbs below my weight pre No S, but it is about time to be honest with myself that I need to get to a BMI of 25. I am fairly muscular for my age but nonetheless I am well aware I am not at a healthy weight.

I plan on continuing Vanilla No S but concentrating on moderation and better food choices. And of course continuing the focus on exercise.
Maintenance is progress.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:57 pm

So glad to hear you didn't push it. It just doesn't make sense to do something for health and vitality and to have it damage you! At least to me.

Congratulations on weight lost so far. You've already beat some odds. (The longer you maintain the loss, the better your odds are of...maintaining even longer.) Sounds silly but it's significant.

Do you have any idea what your bodyfat is?

What or when do you think you might shave from your plates?
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:29 pm

I do not know my body fat Oolala. That would be interesting to know. They say muscle decreases as you get older so that of course means more body fat if you stay the same weight. All the more reason to focus on those extra pounds as I age.

I do not really anticipate smaller meals. I just focus on healthier choices. For example:
More chicken. More green or colorful vegetables. More baked or grilled choices.
Less beef. Less potatoes. Less fried. Less processed.

I am weighing myself Oct 1 and then not again for 4 weeks. Less eating out
Maintenance is progress.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:16 pm

Those are worthy guidelines to try out. Another month will give you some good feedback, I'm sure.

I've read that running can somewhat impair the ability to build muscle but resistance exercise can improve running, so it sounds worth doing. You've got a pretty rounded activity plan.

Yay for October!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:32 pm

Oct 1. -47 lbs since No S beginning.

I decided to weigh one week after start of new plan just out of curiosity.
No loss but no gain this week. Maintenance is success!

This week was a bit off. Started and ended with semi indulgent S days. Was green the other days but was sick with a virus part of the week and ate less but also exercised less.

Onward.
Maintenance is progress.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:01 am

Do you mean the weight loss is since 2010? Or just since your restart? May I ask what percentage of your starting weight that was?
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:52 am

I got very busy and fell away from posting but I am doing well. I have been with No S since late 2010, and I lost 45 lbs the first year.

To answer your question Oolala that was a loss of approximately 20% of my starting weight. This loss took me out of the obese BMI range, but I am still overweight.

Every year at my annual weigh-in from 2011-2015, I maintained that loss. I did my weigh ins right after the holidays and still stayed within 1-2 lbs one way or the other of my weight after the year one loss.

In 2016, I did not stop doing NoS altogether, but I had many reds and many overindulgent, albeit compliant meals. I do not know how much I gained because I avoided the scale, but I would estimate that I gained about 15 lbs.

In 2017, I slowly got back on track and lost the weight I gained in 2016. I am doing my annual weigh in tomorrow because I have not been home with my usual scale. I am confident that I remain within a pound or two of the weight I have been maintaining over the last 6-7 years (except for 2016).

I would like to get to an average BMI, but yet I am not unhappy at the weight I am. I am active and healthy and still way lighter than 7 years ago.
Maintenance is progress.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:58 am

This is a super encouraging post -- thank you for taking the time to update us about how you are doing.

Happy New Year!
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/18-25.6; 8/18-24.5; 10/18-23.8;
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
6/20-22.5; 7/20-23.0; 9/20-23.6
4/21 - 25.2

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:06 am

Thank you for answering my question. You have definitely beat the odds, even if you don't weigh quite what you might like. It's great to hear that you feel active and healthy, and the weight isn't getting you down. That's beating the odds, too. Congrats!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Merry

Post by Merry » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:09 am

Wow, great job! Thanks for the post :-)
Respect Moderation

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:03 am

Thanks everyone for your encouraging posts! I have also read and benefitted from all of your posts. Sometimes when I do not have time to post, I just read a few.

I did weigh today and was two pounds over my weight I have been maintaining. Considering the holiday eating I have done over the last ten days or so that is pretty amazing. As a matter of fact we now have company here through this weekend. More challenges!

Green for Yesterday and today even though yesterday could have been an S day.
Green for exercise and glass ceiling also.
Maintenance is progress.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:23 pm

The stats I looked at on holiday weight gain said that overweight people gain more than slimmer ones- about 5 lbs. Don't know where you are in your weight, but it seems you're doing well. Another article I read before said that it took until the next April for those who did lose to get to their previous weight. I doubt it will take you that long.

Other sources imply that the holiday gain is never lost, but I wonder about their data gathering.

Good luck with company around!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Merry

Post by Merry » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:01 am

oolala53 wrote: Other sources imply that the holiday gain is never lost, but I wonder about their data gathering.
I could believe that. Before I was No-S-ing, I know that some of my holiday gain each year was never lost. I'd gain some at Thanksgiving, some at Christmas, some at Easter... some would come off but a lot would stay, and my weight was creeping up each year.

Now I find that if I do put on 5 lbs. or so over a holiday (and probably a lot is salt/water weight), I can lose it again within 1-2 weeks.
Respect Moderation

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:02 pm

I had my thinking turned around. Agreed, Merry.

I suspect that most people's eating also inched up after each holiday and the body upped its set point. Normally, the body will want to bring things back to equilibrium.

In any case, Vanilla and SOMETIMES. :lol:
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:07 pm

I had to search for my thread because I have not posted since January. I still see some familiar names in the current postings though!

Recap of my story. I started No S on 12/20/2010. I was a nonstop evening snacker. I ate a fair number of sweets at that time, but they were not my primary weakness. Seconds and snacks were the problem. After a year on NoS I lost 45 lbs but have remained in the overweight category per my BMI. I have maintained that weight loss with occasional fluctuations during stressful times. NoS has been a lifesaver for me.

I am up a few pounds right now following a stressful year. My weight fluctuations generally occur when I am in the position of being a caretaker. I do not take care of myself when I am responsible for the care of others. I was at my heaviest when I was raising children and working full time.

In more recent years, the caretaking needs that arise have been for older and/or ill and/or dying family members. In spite of good intentions, I always seem to struggle with my exercise and eating habits during these times.

A little over a year ago I was able to do a half marathon. Yet for several months this spring and summer I barely exercised. This fall I got going again but stuck to 5k distances and walked a lot of it. I am now on the upswing with my exercise. My eating habits tend to improve as I exercise more so I am optimistic I will be at my maintenance weight at my 8 year point later this month.

My reason for posting is to declare a new goal and commit to making progress toward an average BMI in 2019; year 9 of NoS. Posting generally helps me stay committed.
Last edited by r.jean on Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Maintenance is progress.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:26 pm

Great to see you on the boards, r.jean!! Your story is inspiring, and I totally relate to your issue of poor eating habits while caring for others. I feel like this past 6 months I'm peeking up and out of the trench of the past 13 years of motherhood. Self-care pretty much disappeared during those years. I don't want to let that happen again.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:21 am

Great to see that you are still finding No S useful.
Three meals a day - not too little not too much, but just right

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:01 pm

I know that New Years resolutions often go by the wayside within days so I try to make mine simple with an eye toward starting super small and building goals up as time goes on. For example my first goal for this year is to record compliance on three things by simply writing red or green every day. These three things are No S compliance, exercise, and glass ceiling. I do not use yellow. I am retired. Short of serious illness, there is no reason to not do 30 minutes of exercise. Glass ceiling should be a daily rule too.

I do not use yellow for S days because my one and only mod is that I count S events rather than S days. I developed this pattern after I retired when my life ceased to focus around weekends. I also use it to ward off wild S days. I am better off deciding to have one especially tempting dessert or snack but then stay with NoS habits the rest of the day. So my log for days with S events would say red and have a number next to it representing how many splurges I had that day.

I also resolve to post on this site at least monthly to log my progress.

I did not weigh myself today, and I do not have a specific weight goal. I am sure I am above my maintenance weight that I have maintained (with a few fluctuations) since my 45 lb loss in my first NoS year. So I guess my first goal is to lose those few extra pounds. I will weigh in monthly.

I also have some goals to become more focused in my routine. I tend to start a task but become easily distracted. My goal is to commit a certain amount of time as I start a task to stick with it. This might only be 20 minutes or an hour.

I think this plan is simple but may be harder that it seems!
Maintenance is progress.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:45 pm

Welcome to 2019, r.jean! Your goals sound reasonable and I especially like the one about having to come on the boards once a month at least. :-)

I realize that I unconsciously limit my S's on S Days now. Too many weekends realizing that my short body can't splurge without gaining weight easily + seeing ugly glucose numbers and feeling overall icky.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:16 am

Thank you automatedeating. It is good to see you are still here!
Maintenance is progress.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:26 pm

Easily distracted here as well, at least from the things I SHOULD be doing. Like making my house so that fear does not strike my heart if someone suggests meeting me here before we go somewhere because it would take so long to make it presentable.

Nothing to do but either get at it or suffer the consequences- and that goes for a lot of habits.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:39 am

True oolala.
I did better this week getting things done. I have been altering, ironing, and hanging new drapes on a huge wall of windows and managed to get 2/3s done this week. Of course the chaos of taking old drapes and rods down and new up, my home is a mess. Oh well.

This is my first week of the New Year tracking No S, Glass Ceiling, and Exercise.

No S compliance. Six Green days. One red with only one S event (a gourmet chocolate treat friends brought from out of town).

Glass ceiling Six Green days. One red with one extra glass of wine.

Exercise. Seven Green days. Exceeded Minimum every day.

Hoping I can keep this going!
Maintenance is progress.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:10 am

Me,too!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:09 pm

2019 Week 2

No S compliance. Six Green days. One yellow day.
I had one small S event. A friend wanted me to try a dark chocolate treat so I took a small square. Later I had a KIND bar with my supper that was maybe a bit of a sweet.

Glass ceiling: 4 Green days. Three red. I am experimenting with ultra light beer versus stronger beers and find that I drink more so I think the purpose of using light beer has not worked so far.

Exercise. Seven Green days. Exceeded Minimum every day.

I am strictly Vanilla NoS so I do not restrict what I put on my plates other than no sweets. I try to make good choices as much as possible but definitely could do better. I am just glad that I have been able to follow the basics.

I was using just green and red to mark my days but I am going back to using Yellow as well. It is hard to mark a day red for one small chocolate treat. I will continue to take yellow days whenever they happen naturally and just stay on habit when there are no temptations. I will continue to count my S events as well.
Maintenance is progress.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:56 pm

This is a fantastic week 2! Yellow is an option. You can still see the pattern of green or not green using it. I sometimes used to keep a separate Habitcal for WTH. I'd mark the regular one red for a fail, but if I didn't go overboard, I'd mark the other one green. But that might seem to defeat trying to keep things simple.

I always marked S days yellow even if I had not S's, though that wasn't common. To me, it's not having S's that make them S days. It's that they're permitted. But I can see that marking green may help you later to see if they affect other results you are looking at and just how important S's may or may not be in the overall eating picture.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:44 am

Thanks oolala. Good to explore options. I definitely needed my two yellow days this week, and they happened to fall on Saturday and Sunday. We went to an appetizer party on Saturday and had friends over for food and football Sunday. I enjoyed it and ate what I wanted.

For week three, my other five days were green for No S.

Exercise was green all week with extra exercise every day.

I quit tracking glass ceiling. I really do not think this is enough of an issue for me to worry about tracking it. Besides, it is hard to quantify a glass ceiling when comparing a 55 calorie low alcohol beer to a pint of craft beer or a glass of wine. Obviously one or two is a good ceiling for craft beer, but is having three low alcohol beers over several hours a problem? I think not when it is not a daily habit. I was mainly tracking alcohol for the calories which is against the whole NoS concept.

I continue to splurge too much on my food choices but my main goal is to get back on habit. Back on vanilla NoS.
Maintenance is progress.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:48 am

I am finally feeling like my clothes are close to a normal fit. I wanted to be at my maintenance weight of the last 8 years by the time I weigh in on Feb 1. I do not think I am there yet but feel I will at least be close. I have achieved my goals this month by getting strict with myself on the basic no S rules and by improving my exercise. I had gotten pretty lax. (Thus the temporary weight gain.)

My goal after I reach my normal weight is to lose one pound a month. I have not lost any weight since the 45 lbs first year of NoS, and in the last couple years have seen some fluctuations in maintaining. So at this point maintenance is success and losing one pound a month would be a bonus.

The older I get the more the extra weight I never took off affects me more.
Maintenance is progress.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:03 pm

Great that youre getting back on track. I think 1 lb/month is a great goal.

Gl!
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:01 am

you can do this!
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:01 am

you can do this!
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:59 pm

Thanks for the encouragement! I especially need it this week. I developed severe pain in my left hip and have hardly been able to walk since Sunday evening. It is a severe case of bursitis, and I have pretty much been housebound except for medical visits the last 3 days. However my week 4 of 2019 went well with pretty much all 7 Green Days except two small sweet samples. I have found that taking a small sample of a special sweet from friends who are sweet lovers makes them happy and gives me an acceptable indulgence. Monday was yellow for exercise, but the other 6 days were green. Of course this week has started on Tuesday with two yellow days for exercise. Yet I have been eating very moderately. In years past I would have used food for comfort in times like this.
Maintenance is progress.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:51 am

I'm very sorry to hear about the hip pain. :-(
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:22 am

I weighed myself today
My January goal was to be at what I consider my maintenance weight after my 45 pound loss in year one of NoS (2011). I have maintained for 8 years but have had some lapses. I also stopped short of a “normal†weight

I am 2.2 lbs below my maintenance weight. WooHoo!

Wow.

February goals.
Maintain. Maintain. Maintain.
Lose one additional pound
Maintenance is progress.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:23 am

Woot—you’re doing great! Im not sure ill have reach a normal bmi but its more about feeling good than reaching a certain number right?
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:03 am

You know I agree with that, Linda. We can't know what it's going to take to get the body to normal. Well, we kind of do, but that can be asking a lot of some people. If we eat so that we feel we get to enjoy at least a pleasant minimum and feel pretty vital, I'm not sure we can ask ourselves for more, unless there is a health condition that would merit more. I certainly can't do it for the scale, and only mildly for my clothes.

Wow, Jean, being below your former maintenance must have been a surprise. The new normal? Hard to predict in my house.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:31 am

You are both right. It is about new habits that are taking place right now rather than the weight. I am amazed that I am not eating for comfort while being restricted by my hip issues.

The extra weight is a health factor so I do not want to ignore it; yet, it has become secondary. I think monthly weigh ins work best for me. It is a gauge for how I am doing but not an obsession.

I am developing new exercise goals today. I am still sore but able to move. No more tennis or long fast walks with my friends. At least not for awhile. Stretching and physical therapy exercises are primary. I will have to figure out how to get cardio. I hate machines but perhaps the stationary bike at the gym would provide cardio without being too much stress on the hip.

I am starting today with starting my watch every time I do at least 5 minutes of stretching with a goal of 45 minutes throughout the day.
Maintenance is progress.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:11 pm

Oh, I do hope the stretching/exercise goals go well! And I'm glad that tracking the exercise part works for you.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

r.jean

Re: Jean's check in

Post by r.jean » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:03 am

Wow. It just took me a long time to figure out how to even get to my own check in.

I have spent the last couple days exercising in a pool to start the healing process for my hip. My appetite is back which led to an indulgent (although technically compliant) day yesterday.

Hopefully I can figure out tomorrow how to navigate the new format for this forum.
Maintenance is progress.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:25 pm

Oh, man - I hope the forum starts working better for you soon.

Good thought to use the pool for your hip!
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:48 am

I got a bit off track the last couple weeks. I still had a lot of Green days and only a couple reds, but I quit tracking them regularly and was careless in my food choices. I also skipped posting on this forum which is an important part of staying on track. However, I think I have maintained enough good habits to hopefully meet my February goal.

Exercise is coming along. I did pool exercise almost every day at first and then gradually worked tennis back in. I am doing some moderate walking. My hip is better, but I am still feeling cautious not to do too much.

I actually want to get on the scale on a March 1. I think I may have maintained my January weight (primary goal), and may even manage the one pound per month additional loss (secondary goal).
Maintenance is progress.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:54 pm

Great news about your hip! I don't blame you for being cautious, though!! And back to tennis! That is cause for celebration!!! :mrgreen:
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:17 pm

I continue to be lax about coming to this site at least weekly. I need to do that. It makes me accountable.

I weighed myself a couple days before the end of February instead of March first because we had company coming for a week. I knew that would disrupt normal eating and sleeping patterns and wanted to do my monthly weigh-in under normal conditions. I maintained the loss that I had in January which was the main goal. (Actually it was .2 over but a fifth of a pound is insignificant.). I did not lose the additional one pound a month which is the secondary goal. I am fine with that. Maintenance is progress!

I am currently getting back to my normal routine after a week of eating more than usual due to having company and eating out more. However, we were very active too so hopefully that helped. I did stay on the NoS routine but had more indulgent food choices and larger portions.
Maintenance is progress.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:29 am

It has been almost 3 weeks since I checked in. I am obviously lacking on my goal to check in weekly. I have been doing okay more than not and hopefully have at least maintained my weight which is the primary goal. After my 45 pound loss in 2011, I maintained pretty well for awhile. Then I started having fluctuations during times of stress. Each time I have gotten back to the 2011 weight, but I am tired of that pattern. Also I am still in the overweight but not obese range. I would like to slowly change that. For my monthly weigh in on Feb one, I was 2.2 lbs down from the 2011 weight and stayed the same March 1. I hope to at least maintain again on April 1.

I have repeated these goals multiple times on this site so this is old hat, nothing new. Hopefully at some point I will be successful. The 45 lb loss year one and maintaining that loss has been great, but after 8 years, I need to be less complacent with this partial success and slowly work on additional weight loss.

NoS was a lifesaver for me. I need to use more moderation in my food choices along with NoS principles to get out of my 8 year rut.
Maintenance is progress.