Rebuilding Habits

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Jibaholic

Rebuilding Habits

Post by Jibaholic » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:42 pm

Days on Habit: 0

So I'm back on No S again. I was on a great groove from September until Thanksgiving, and then I blew up for the month of December. I've done better in January but I'm still snacking and having a lot of disordered eating. The worst of it is that it is pure temptation. Case in point, a vendor catered lunch at work yesterday - Panera. There were leftover sandwiches and cookies and even though I wasn't hungry, how do you say no to free food?

The other thing is that I pulled my hamstring and had to stop exercising. Like many people, good habits seem to go hand in hand. So now that I can exercise again, I'm back to running, lifting weights, and playing squash. I need to get my diet back on track to.

I'm doing vanilla No S Diet except for one mod. I do 24 hour fasts zero to two times per week, like Eat Stop Eat. I find the "F days" very easy. I sometimes get hungry at around 10:30 but mostly fasting makes me realize how much eating is about something to do rather than a need to fill your belly.

Here are my No S Diet clarifications
* Diet soda is an S food
* Coffee or tea with sugar is an S food
* I do allow myself an afternoon coffee with cream only, as well as unlimited unsweetened tea since it is non-caloric.

Weight: 166, give or take a couple pounds.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:14 pm

Welcome Back!
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/18-25.6; 8/18-24.5; 10/18-23.8;
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
6/20-22.5; 7/20-23.0; 9/20-23.6
4/21 - 25.2

Jibaholic

Post by Jibaholic » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:40 pm

Thanks Automatedeating!

Wednesday = Success
Days on Habit: 1

I did great today. I even survived eating out and did not grab a french fry from my wife or kids' plate.

Jibaholic

Post by Jibaholic » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:31 pm

Thursday: Success
Days on Habit: 2

Thursday was a weird day. I started it with a 24 hour fast (I didn't eat breakfast or lunch). My wife and I are adopting from foster care wand we have a 10 week class. They have sodas and cookies and other treats so I turn those days into special occasions. I've got 7 more classes to go so it won't be permanent.

3 mile run at about 10 minute mile pace.